PDA

View Full Version : Computer help

21Kid
December 17th, 2014, 04:35 PM
So, my laptop won't let me log on.? I tried running avg and Ccleaner in safe mode to no avail.

Ideas?

Reynard
December 17th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Can you log on as a different user? Then restore it to previous time state and then do all your trojan scanning...

Or just wait for TSG to come in with some real advice. ;)

21Kid
December 17th, 2014, 06:00 PM
No, I can't find an option to log on as a different user or guest. :erm:

I scanned everything from safe mode... It didn't find anything harmful.

thesameguy
December 17th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Usually this is a boot error and a reboot fixes it, but if the issue survives reboots then your profile is probably corrupted. :(

You have a couple options, including trying a system restore and deleting or renaming the profile. I'd try the restore option first, because it costs nothing. In Safe Mode, click the Start button and type "system restore" in the search field and click the System Restore option from the search results. Check Show More Restore Points and click Next. Hopefully you've got a few recent restore points - select one that is before the issue first appeared, and preferably one that is many days or a week before that. Click Next and then Finish. Windows will thrash around for a while then reboot. Hopefully when it comes back up you can log on. If not, it's time for more drastic measures.

21Kid
December 18th, 2014, 05:16 AM
:D:up: Thanks! I'll try that tonight.

21Kid
December 18th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Did not work. :-( There was only one restore point. What are the more drastic measures?
You said I can try deleting the profile or renaming it?

thesameguy
December 19th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Yep, renaming the profile. You can try dong it in Safe Mode but usually that does not work. You will probably need to get to the recovery console (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-get-to-the-recovery-console-in-windows.html) What you're looking for is a folder under c:\users that is your username. You need to rename that folder to something else - do make a note of its original name in case this doesn't work. It may not work, but it's also a zero-cost attempt and worth a go. Be aware that if this works you'll lose any settings tied to your login. You can still recover data (documents, pictures, etc.) but things like Firefox preferences will go away. After this, you're into the registry.

21Kid
December 26th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the help by the way.

thesameguy
December 26th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Did you get back in?

21Kid
December 29th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Yeah, I had to create a new profile and copy stuff from the old one. It just took a while for me to get around to it because of the holidays , and other goings on.

Still not sure what happened... it was just corrupted I guess?

thesameguy
December 29th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Yeah, that happens. Infrequently, but it does.

21Kid
March 9th, 2015, 06:49 PM
Okay... I have a new problem with our wifi set-up. We have a duplex now and I'm trying to use two Linksys Wifi routers to extend the signal. Linksys e2500 (Main) is connected to the cable modem and everything is fine. But, (secondary) Linksys e1200 while giving me full signal, i I can't connect to the interwebz.

The main router has signal coming from the modem into the internet input, and going out via #4. The house has Cat5 wiring so main router is sending the signal to the e1200 in the bedroom through the cat5 jack in the wall to #4 to just extend the signal.
Same names and passwords on both routers. it works fine on a direct ethernet connection. But, teh wifi won't work. And it's not just the laptop either. I have the same problem on my phone when it tries to connect to the e1200. So, it must be something with the settings on the secondary router, but what? The names and PWs are the same, and I turned of DHCP on the 2nd.

thesameguy
March 10th, 2015, 09:18 AM
You also don't want to have the same network name operating in the same physical space as devices can becomes confused about their connections - name one East and the other West or North/South etc. Be sure you power cycle the E1200 after you change the network name... the number of Cisco/Linksys devices I've encountered recently that get confused and stop passing wifi traffic is a little nuts. Power cycling fixes it (until it happens again).

21Kid
March 10th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Ahh.. I thought they were supposed to have the same name/password.
If I change it to a different name, do I then plug it into the internet port instead of #4? So, it acts as a separate network?

thesameguy
March 10th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Ideally you'd want them to, but it confuses a lot of newer devices and IME can actually lead to confusion at the AP level. Better to have them be different.

Change no wiring - you can't have two internet ports connected on the same network... unless you want some crazy double natting, which would be no fun.

21Kid
March 10th, 2015, 04:39 PM
OK. Thanks!

21Kid
March 11th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Does anyone have much experience with Google calendar?

I want to use a shared calendar, but only parts of it. There is a lot of annoying repeating information. FYI, it's my kids school calendar from CPS. I want to add the days off of school, special events, report cards, etc... But, there is a lot of useless junk like a reminder to sign up for preschool that loops for like 3 months that I want to get rid of.

Any ideas if I can get rid of specific items in shared calendars like this? I can't find anything in the settings.

Kchrpm
March 11th, 2016, 10:02 AM
You can copy individual and I presume repeating events from a shared calendar to your own, but I don't see a way to hide events.

21Kid
March 11th, 2016, 10:13 AM
That's what I saw too. Thanks.

21Kid
March 30th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Another request... Does anyone have experience with, or know someone who can get pictures from a dead HDD? I had to replace the HDD on my daughter's slimline HP because it died a while back and I had just uploaded a bunch of pictures from our summer vacation last year.
One of the IT guys at work had a friend try who refurbishes PCs for a living to no avail. :(

thesameguy
March 30th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Chances are you're talking data recovery, though it depends on the specific nature of the failure. If you can find a similar drive you can sometimes swap circuit boards, but especially on slim laptop drives that's a pretty unlikely scenario. :(

21Kid
March 30th, 2016, 10:43 AM
Bummer. :( Thanks.

Yw-slayer
March 30th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Yeah. A data recovery service will cost you at least a few hundred usd.

21Kid
March 31st, 2016, 06:11 AM
I guess we'll just have to go back on vacation this year and duplicate the pictures. :D

thesameguy
March 31st, 2016, 09:02 AM
.... and then back them up somewhere. Right???!?!!?

Kchrpm
March 31st, 2016, 09:39 AM
Do you have a moment to talk about your lord and savior, Google Christ?

21Kid
March 31st, 2016, 09:43 AM
OK Keith: How do I save pictures from my HDD?

Kchrpm
March 31st, 2016, 09:52 AM
Step 1: Go to https://photos.google.com
Step 2: Drag and drop photos on to web page

Edit: Apparently there is an uploader? I can't get to the page right now, and I don't have a Windows computer to use it on at home, so I know nothing about it other than a help page says it exists: https://photos.google.com/apps

Kchrpm
March 31st, 2016, 09:55 AM
Oddly enough, today is World Backup Day: http://www.worldbackupday.com/en/

21Kid
March 31st, 2016, 11:22 AM
HDD Died between step 1 & 2. Literally the same day I uploaded them from the camera. Normally I don't delete them off of the camera right away... I guess I should stick with that. :(

Kchrpm
March 31st, 2016, 11:32 AM
I definitely wouldn't delete them off my camera until they were backed up to the cloudz.

mk
April 1st, 2016, 06:43 AM
Another request... Does anyone have experience with, or know someone who can get pictures from a dead HDD?(
I'm a bit far away.