PDA

View Full Version : Batman: Arkham Origins

overpowered
December 28th, 2014, 06:45 PM
I just finished all of the story missions and side missions and found all the goodies. I haven't done any challenge maps and I didn't do a lot of the skill challenges.

It's basically like Arkham City, but generally not as good.

I was very annoyed by the Slade/Deathstroke boss fight. It's relatively early in the game and I couldn't beat it. I ended up restarting my game in easy mode and maximizing my armor before getting to the boss fight. I still couldn't beat it for dozens of attempts, even with searching for tips online. Basically, it's a 3 phase battle. In the third phase, it's effectively a QTE but without the prompts. You have to do a lot of perfectly timed counters or you're toast. I finally managed to squeak through, but it sucked. It's just not fun when it's like that.

The game also has a few annoying glitches. Sometimes the "facial recognition" of characters you're supposed to "interrogate" doesn't work right and they can't be interrogated. Restarting the game seems to make them become interrogatable. I had a couple of freezes that required powering down the PS3. In Blackgate, there's a point where you have to raise the water in a loch and Batman tells you how, repeatedly, even after you've done it, and won't stop. Once while battling Deadshot, I was somehow standing on the ledge next to him and he started shooting me and I was stuck in slow walk mode like when the Batman is having a conversation with someone over the comms and I couldn't do anything but slow walk.

Other than that, it was decent. If you liked Arkham City and you can get past the above, it's worth the $15.

thesameguy
December 28th, 2014, 08:40 PM
There was a thread on it on the old forums... I found the game really bad - they fired the studio that did the good ones and these guys wrote a poor script and programmed a poor game IMO.

http://gtxfrefuge.freeforums.org/batman-arkham-origins-t1835.html

Alan P
December 29th, 2014, 02:41 PM
The studio that did the old ones, Rock Steady was doing the new one, Arkham Knight for whatever Gen the XBone and PS4 are along with PC. I'm looking forward to it immensely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNvjuzdHnsI

thesameguy
December 29th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Yeah, stoked about that as well!

overpowered
May 29th, 2016, 05:39 PM
I decided to play this again and for some reason that I do not understand, even decided to try to get 100%.

I've figured out how to beat Deathstroke: stay the fuck away from him. Lots and lots of evade moves. Try to get in a batclaw slam in there every so often. Counter the remote claw propane tank shots and it's not too difficult to beat him consistently, even when the game is in hard mode. He dodges the batclaw most of the time but not when he tries to shoot you so if you're in range when he draws his gun, batclaw slam will work. I even had one run through where I got a trophy for never missing a counter -- because I never did a counter except for the propane tanks.

I figured out a cheat in the challenge mode combat once you have the shock gloves. Eliminate every opponent except one armored opponent. When you hit them with charged electric gloves, immediately evade back away from them and then immediately hit them again, evade, hit, evade, hit. If you time the hits right you also get a critical strike which means your combo multiplier goes up by 3 with every hit (shock gloves add one by themselves). You can get your combo multiplier very high but you don't actually do any damage because it takes a bunch of hits in close succession to damage an armored opponent. The high multiplier jacks your score up very fast. In the custom challenges and some campaigns, you can even use a modifier to have the shock gloves charged for the entire bout. I got my multiplier well over 100 in some of those, resulting in over a couple thousand points per hit. It's brain dead easy to get all three medals this way. When you don't have the modifier, you can still do it by doing stun-hit-stun-hit-stun-hit until the gloves are charged.

The game lies when you unlock I am the night mode when it tells you that it doesn't count towards 100%. There is a character trophy and concept art unlocked by completing I am the night and those are required to get 100%. There's also a character trophy unlocked by completing one round of online which is required to get 100%. Side missions are not required to be done in I am the night to get this, but a bug in the game means that it won't give you the unlocks until you exit the game, go look at the trophy for it and go back into the game. It also unlocks the last of the dynamic themes in extras.

Getting 100% also requires doing all of the dark knight challenges, which can be a bit tricky, especially once you get past the initial game run as the opponents are tougher. I managed to get it all done in the first story run which was tough since some of them require indoor predator rooms which do not regenerate enemies. They really should have allowed these to be done in challenge mode.

21Kid
May 31st, 2016, 05:44 AM
I put this in and played for 5 minutes... Not sure why I haven't played it more. I enjoyed the last two.