PDA

View Full Version : A bad year for Asian air travel

LHutton
February 4th, 2015, 08:26 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/domestic-passenger-flight-crashes-taiwan-58-people-aboard-040638141.html

At least 25 dead as Taiwan plane plunges into river

At least 25 people were killed Wednesday when a passenger plane operated TransAsia Airways clipped an overpass soon after take-off and plunged into a river in Taiwan, the airline's second crash in seven months.

https://giant.gfycat.com/WaterloggedCornyDragon.gif

Leon
February 4th, 2015, 09:11 AM
fkn hell.

The359
February 4th, 2015, 09:52 AM
That anyone survived a plane coming down that hard is amazing.

Random
February 4th, 2015, 09:58 AM
The folks in the taxi were pretty fortunate, as well.

thesameguy
February 4th, 2015, 10:03 AM
I want its dashcam video!

Random
February 4th, 2015, 10:08 AM
I think its dashcam is in the water with the airplane.*

*edit: they've pulled (some of) the plane out of the water now, so technically not true. :p

http://www.standard.co.uk/incoming/article10023130.ece/alternates/w620/taiwancrash9.jpg

FaultyMario
February 8th, 2015, 11:39 AM
What was the taxi hit with?

Random
February 8th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Wingtip.

Rikadyn
February 8th, 2015, 04:26 PM
just the tip

Crazed_Insanity
February 8th, 2015, 10:53 PM
I think it's more like bad plane or bad airline. Frequent crashes are scaring even the stewardess' wishing to terminate contracts early.

Pilot is a hero for avoiding buildings and roads... Hence the sharp banking into the river.

Black box is showing pilot made an error for shutting off the wrong engine... Resulting loss of power of both engines after takeoff.

Anyway, I still think airline should shoulder most if the blame given it track record.

Freude am Fahren
February 9th, 2015, 05:26 AM
Pilot is a hero for avoiding buildings and roads... Hence the sharp banking into the river.

Black box is showing pilot made an error for shutting off the wrong engine... Resulting loss of power of both engines after takeoff.

You can't fuck up, then be called a hero just for not killing as many people as possible.

Crazed_Insanity
February 9th, 2015, 04:30 PM
The plane fucked up first. This particular airline with this particular model has crashed way too often. I find it too convinient to all be pilot error.

Crazed_Insanity
February 10th, 2015, 01:38 AM
Pilots were found with face crushed, legs broken, but hands firmly gripping the steering controls... Presumably trying to steer clear of buildings and roads...

Random
February 10th, 2015, 08:24 AM
The plane fucked up first. This particular airline with this particular model has crashed way too often. I find it too convinient to all be pilot error.

Having an engine flame out is definitely not the pilots' fault. Pulling back power on the wrong engine is 100% on the pilots, however.

The359
February 10th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Pilots were found with face crushed, legs broken, but hands firmly gripping the steering controls... Presumably trying to steer clear of buildings and roads...

I'm fairly certain the pilots hands would be on the controls no matter what sort of situation they'd be in. That is sort of his job.

thesameguy
February 10th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Yeah, it's only boat captains that have the luxury of running.

Amirite?

Crazed_Insanity
February 10th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Any pilots here? Why is it necessary to shut off the bad engine? (And risk shutting off the wrong engine during takeoff?) couldn't one wait until the plane is safely in flight to worry about that stupid useless engine?

Random
February 10th, 2015, 04:13 PM
That's exactly what the protocol is, according to pilots on other sites: fly the airplane on the good engine until you're at a safe altitude/airspeed and then figure out what's going on with the bad engine. The flight data that's been released show that the auto-throttle program tried to do just that--it ran the good engine up to 100% power (from the 90% setting it was at) and also shut down the bleed air to maximize power.

Crazed_Insanity
February 10th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Just read from another article saying that pilots may be trying restarting the engine by shutting it off first... But instead trying to 'restart' the wrong engine! :|