PDA

View Full Version : Healthcare support, California

FaultyMario
February 12th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Well, shit. It seems my cousin's husband might have thyroid cancer.

They're immigrants but I feel they're not completely assimilated into American culture. I fear they're not comfortable with paperwork and procedural stuff and rely too much on rumor as means to get their information. Plus, because of costs and other reasons they usually go to Tijuana to treat minor illnesses and get dental work done.

I was wondering if you guys could share some pointers in regards of the employer/health insurance that they ought to be aware of.

My first thought was they should contact one of their local cancer support groups, not only because of the psychological treatment but because they could get first hand knowledge on how to do the HC paperwork. Do you guys know of any reputable orgs that could help them?

novicius
February 12th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Sorry to read this, Mario -- maybe this site can help? (http://www.thyca.org/sg/)

Otherwise many hospitals today have "An Insurance Guy" type of person who can also help point out what needs to be done, etc.

FaultyMario
February 12th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Thanks, Novi. Their "Get Matched to a Volunteer" program sounds useful.

thesameguy
February 12th, 2015, 12:59 PM
AFAIK as long as they are citizens they are eligible for ACA/Covered California. There are like three days left to enroll!

http://www.coveredca.com/

You can call them directly and talk to an advisor - I would do that ASAP.

KillerB
February 12th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Okay, this one is pretty much in my wheelhouse.

There are a ton of variables here. You mention employer insurance. Do they have insurance through their employer? Do they have insurance at all? At what point in the diagnosis process are they at? Has he been diagnosed? Does he have a regular doctor?

Going to a cancer support group is an excellent idea. Another that I recommend is to consult with a "patient advocate." Any major hospital will have people in this position. Their job is to help the patient navigate insurance, dealing with doctors, etc. In California, it is a certainty that they will have patient advocates who are fluent in Spanish.

If you want to send me a PM with some more details, that will be helpful. I'll help where I can. If they don't have insurance, do as tsg said and have them call Covered California, pronto.

Crazed_Insanity
February 12th, 2015, 03:29 PM
I have friends and relatives who like to seek treatments back in Taiwan too... Mainly because of cost. Even with insurance, things can be quite expensive here. So whenever vacationing, they'll include trips to the dentists or other Chk ups. But for cancer treatments, this is probably no longer practical... Hope he finds a good doctor in his network soon.

FaultyMario
February 12th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Thanks, TSG.

Joe I'll be talking to them tonight, I'll try to find as much as I can and then shoot you a PM. Thanks a lot.

FaultyMario
February 12th, 2015, 07:42 PM
He's covered under Anthem from his employer, and I think they're under Covered California. They're gonna email me a few questions which I'll be relaying to you helpful peeps.

:up:

Alan P
February 13th, 2015, 03:46 AM
:up: