PDA

View Full Version : Scary moment

Alan P
February 24th, 2015, 07:07 PM
NOT ME I must stress, but rather scary nevertheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOBFvl8GWYI&feature=youtu.be

Yw-slayer
February 24th, 2015, 07:31 PM
HOLY...

overpowered
February 25th, 2015, 03:08 AM
That's a brown pants moment.

Kchrpm
February 25th, 2015, 03:56 AM
That song is everywhere!

thesameguy
February 25th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Clearly not his fault, but that driver should have been on the brakes eons earlier. It was clear that truck was going to run the stop. I guess the driver could have assumed he was going the other way, but when I see someone barreling towards a stop but showing no indicators of doing it, I'm off the gas immediately.

Crazed_Insanity
February 25th, 2015, 09:04 AM
If I were driving, perhaps my peripheral vision could catch the fast moving truck, but 1st time seeing the video, I didn't quite see that truck coming at first until it was nearly in front! The snow falling on top of the windshield scared me more because I wasn't expecting to see that! :p

Anyway, if I were in his shoes, for sure I wouldn't brake hard like that... mainly because it's probably too late! I'd probably just try to steer myself off road onto the grass a bit and then brake test the son of a bitch.

Dicknose
February 25th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Brakes and tyres work better on the road than wet grass.
The video has a narrow field of view compared to the driver, but the truck could be seen for a while.

But this is fairly typical driving, most people don't look for threats till they are about to hit them.
I wonder if they had headlights on, they do seem to help people notice you.

LHutton
February 25th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Clearly not his fault, but that driver should have been on the brakes eons earlier. It was clear that truck was going to run the stop. I guess the driver could have assumed he was going the other way, but when I see someone barreling towards a stop but showing no indicators of doing it, I'm off the gas immediately.
I saw it coming, but then my perception was influenced by the title of the video. Might not have been anywhere near as obvious if I was there on the spot.

Was it a foreign plate per chance?

thesameguy
February 25th, 2015, 01:57 PM
DN is spot on - most people aren't looking for things that might happen, they are only focused on things that are happening and that's just not a safe way to drive. You need to be looking at everything that is moving or capable of moving and determining where it's going and how that affects you. A truck moving that speed at an intersecting angle needs to be accounted for, and the driver with the cam did no such accounting. On a busy road there might be too many things to reasonably predict, but on a little-used rural road with excellent visibility, there really isn't any excuse.

Godson
February 25th, 2015, 04:46 PM
Ass-hat truck driver. Mouth-breather in the other vehicle.

neanderthal
February 25th, 2015, 09:20 PM
I'm with the "he should have braked earlier" contingent.

Head on a metaphorical swivel. Assume the other driver is an idiot.

overpowered
February 26th, 2015, 02:01 AM
Which does not excuse the idiot in the truck. He should lose his license.

Dicknose
February 26th, 2015, 04:06 AM
Definitely the truck driver broke the rules and should be stopped from driving.
That is not a safe way to operate a large and heavy vehicle.
Even after it happened he drove off, either didn't even notice or wanted to get away. But should have stopped and checked the other person was ok.

Godson
February 26th, 2015, 06:37 AM
Which does not excuse the idiot in the truck. He should lose his license.

Yup

Phil_SS
February 26th, 2015, 08:01 AM
I'm with the "he should have braked earlier" contingent.

Head on a metaphorical swivel. Assume the other driver is an idiot.

Yep. I avoid an accident like this at least a couple times a month due to looking where I am going. For example, on the highway I am always looking 3-4 cars ahead of me.

thesameguy
February 26th, 2015, 08:53 AM
And especially stuff merging onto roads - most of the time, it's idiot mergers causing the problems anyway.

neanderthal
February 26th, 2015, 02:15 PM
I'm the guy who has his foot hovering over the brake, having already checked my escape route, if there is a car turning from a parking lot anywhere ahead of me. Especially if they are crossing traffic and even more especially if there is an empty lane between opposing traffic.

One of the tenets of defensive driving is to constantly assume that the other driver is going to do something wrong, something unpredictable, something dangerous. I start coasting to stops if I can see that I won't make it through, and it sorta signals to the driver behind me that I am not accelerating. You'd be surprised how many get within inches of my bumper before slowing down. And i'm watching them, estimating my ability to accelerate through the light, and devising an escape route at the same time. I don't get the "race to a stop" mentality.

The standard for getting a license needs to be raised. Significantly

thesameguy
February 26th, 2015, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure that is defensive driving so much as just being realistic.

I could be confused.

overpowered
February 27th, 2015, 12:21 AM
The standard for getting a license needs to be raised. SignificantlyYep. I would add to that that it needs to be easier to lose. Doing shit like the truck driver did should be an automatic revocation of license.

Crazed_Insanity
February 27th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Anyway, I'd only slam on the brakes that hard if I know I can safely stop on the road. If I'm swerving off road, I won't continue to slam the brakes like that. I think that guy was lucky that he didn't lose control braking like that. (When one side of the car is on a totally different kind of surface than the other) Or maybe his car is equipped with ABS so that saved him.

Sometimes defensive driving requires one to speed away rather than always hit the brakes. There was a center 'red' lane that the truck initially pull into... so I had time and space to squeeze pass him I think. If not, I'd rather drive partiallly onto the grass than brake on the grass. I dunno. That's just what I'd do I think.

Of course, if I did see that truck not slowing properly thru peripheral vision, most likely I'd also brake much earlier.

Alan P
February 27th, 2015, 03:56 PM
An update, the driver has been reported to the Procurator Fiscal, the Scottish body who decides if someone's alleged crime and evidence presented is enough to bring charges, for 'Road traffic offences'

Alsi you'd have to say, unless the driver got the licence plate, which is unlikely, without the dashcam footage he probably would have got away with it/

speedpimp
February 28th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Driver is definitely an ass hat. Inexcusable.