PDA

View Full Version : Cyber Tyre: Reinventing The Wheel

LHutton
February 26th, 2015, 03:43 AM
http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/pirelli-cyber-tyre.htm

The technology behind car safety has advanced significantly in the last 10 years, but one of the most important parts of car safety - the part that connects your car to the road - hasn't progressed as rapidly.

Pirelli is trialling a new type of tyre however that could usher in a new era of safety.

The Italian tyre maker says it is almost ready to release the 'intelligent tyre', which is expected to be on sale in 2010.

This new generation tyre has a microchip embedded within its carcass that can "supply essential information on the state of the tyre and on road conditions to the driver and car, making the electronic control of the car more efficient".

When fully integrated in a cars stability control system, the car could potentially predict loss of traction before it even occurs, rather than reacting milliseconds after the wheels lose traction.

According to Pirelli, this innovation delivers increased active and passive safety when driving.

Pirelli has outlined a two-stage approach to introducing the tyre onto the market: the Cyber Tyre Lean followed by the Cyber Tyre.

Cyber Tyre Lean: This is the first type that will be introduced in 2010 and is more basic than the Cyber Tyre. It features a small microchip glued to the inner liner of the tyre that, says Pirelli, can register data such as tyre pressure and temperature, as well as the average load of the vehicle.

Pirelli says the device can also detect tyre anomalies, and the Cyber Tyre Lean even has a small amount of memory so it can store other data such as the type of tyre, the production date and the production site.

The Cyber Tyre Lean is self-powered explains Pirelli. It uses the kinetic energy from the mechanical vibrations transmitted to the device from the tyre as it turns, "so that it also has a zero maintenance cost and low environmental impact" says the Italian tyre maker.

Cyber Tyre: More complex and sophisticated, the the Cyber Tyre will be launched further down the track and will include an accelerometer to decipher even more data from the tyre.

Pirelli is calling the Cyber Tyre an "intelligent tyre".

Featuring a triaxial accelerometer that measures acceleration on the three Cartesian axes (length, width, and height) the Cyber Tyre will deliver information to the cars computer on the actual and potential friction coefficients, the force of the contact between tyre and road, and on the load, instantaneously claims Pirelli.

Simply put, it will communicate in real time with the electronic devices of the car, such as the ESP and the ABS, supplying even more detailed and precise information on the state of the tyres. Pirelli expects that the electronic sensor will be directly inserted into the structure of the tyre, becoming an integral part of its construction.

Pirelli will be working with stability and brake control software makers to ensure the new microchips can communicate with the the on-board computers in cars that control stability control systems, so as to transfer the information and improve response times.

It could herald a huge leap forward in terms of the accuracy and immediacy of stability and braking control systems, potentially correcting stability and traction issues before they occur, rather than as they occur.

Dicknose
February 26th, 2015, 04:03 AM
"Will be in 2010"
So it's a 5 year old story, has any of this happened.

Sensors for pressure are becoming more common, but that's more a maint issue.

Not sure what accelerometer in the tyre would tell you.

Phil_SS
February 26th, 2015, 08:03 AM
I'm more interested in the tire design that doesn't use any air. I think Michelin has been developing one for a few years.

Godson
February 26th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Tweel

thesameguy
February 26th, 2015, 08:52 AM
I remember talking to a friend of mine who used to work at a national tire store chain and he was told these "intelligent tires" were as good as done... no more TPMS in the valve stem, an RFID microchip in the tire communicates all that stuff back to the ECM. Never happened, I don't know why.

LHutton
February 26th, 2015, 10:31 AM
"Will be in 2010"
So it's a 5 year old story, has any of this happened.

Sensors for pressure are becoming more common, but that's more a maint issue.

Not sure what accelerometer in the tyre would tell you.

Being tested on FXXK. Being input into main ECU wrt diff control etc.

neanderthal
February 26th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Despite it's age, the tire is one of those hard to improve on things. Kinda like a hammer.

It's the first point of contact for the suspension. Good engineering (height of tire sidewall, tire stiffness, air pressure, spring and shock rates, durometer of bushings etc etc etc)can ameliorate a host of vexing problems, involving, ride, handling, comfort, braking, etc.

Runflats are terrible, even in their best guise. I can't think of a single (affordable) car on runflats whose ride/ handling compromise is well executed. The PAX tires on the Rolls almost being the exception. Almost.

Tweels aren't there yet. They are mostly being implemented in machinery like ride on mowers and utility quads.

MR2 Fan
February 26th, 2015, 02:30 PM
I think the military are using Tweels as well

Kchrpm
February 27th, 2015, 03:58 AM
Runflats are terrible, even in their best guise. I can't think of a single (affordable) car on runflats whose ride/ handling compromise is well executed. The PAX tires on the Rolls almost being the exception. Almost.
I don't actually know what cars are on runflats nowadays, my only experience is with Corvettes and the Stingray seems quite good in both, for what it is.

21Kid
February 27th, 2015, 05:51 AM
I'm more interested in the tire design that doesn't use any air. I think Michelin has been developing one for a few years.

Michelin's Airless Tire Might Actually Start Existing (http://gizmodo.com/michelins-airless-tire-might-actually-start-existing-1659138363)

There's still no general availability or pricing, but Michelin's currently running a limited trial with skid steer loaders and tractors, and opening an entire factory dedicated to producing the Tweel obviously means that it's not a complete bust. Whether or not you'll be decking your truck out with Tweels in the near future remains to be seen, though. I would.

novicius
February 27th, 2015, 05:54 AM
As I am skeptical of all things CORPORATE, I feel that the tech is here and has been viable for awhile -- just that air-filled tires are much cheaper to make with a shorter lifespan and all around are much more profitable. #tinfoil #shrug

21Kid
July 17th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Hankook’s airless car tires should hit the market very, very soon (http://inhabitat.com/earth-friendly-airless-tires-by-hankook-should-be-on-the-market-very-very-soon/)

Hankook Tire has finished putting its latest design, the iFlex tire, through a rigorous set of tests that have proved it a worthy contender for the future of eco transportation – and they expect to put them on the market very soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeDinj8ajVE

Godson
July 17th, 2015, 04:40 PM
So Hankook continues the Tweel idea.

Hankook was previously partially owned by Michelin up until 2011.

Rare White Ape
July 17th, 2015, 09:20 PM
The preview image for that video says it's fashionable.

I tend to disagree.

MR2 Fan
July 17th, 2015, 11:30 PM
going to the market very soon, but the entire ad is CGI...

Drachen596
July 17th, 2015, 11:48 PM
Polaris has an atv (or had) with the Michelin type design wheels/tires on it.

Godson
July 19th, 2015, 09:11 AM
http://www.gizmag.com/hankook-airless-tires-high-speed-testing/38483/

http://www.gizmag.com/michelin-tweel/34909/

Interesting.