PDA

View Full Version : Cat's In The Cradle: Did it have a societal impact?

Kchrpm
February 28th, 2015, 04:34 PM
This is a question for those who were around at the time or know for any other reason: was there any kind of noticeable discussion or societal impact from the release of the song? I've always thought it did a great job clearly communicating its message, and it was a huge hit. Do you have any personal memory pertaining to it?

speedpimp
February 28th, 2015, 05:04 PM
I've always had a soft spot for it. When I was younger I'd think about the relationship between myself and my dad whenever I heard the song, even though it was nothing like the song.

Yw-slayer
February 28th, 2015, 08:47 PM
No, but I do try and heed the message.

Dicknose
February 28th, 2015, 11:38 PM
I don't remember any discussions.
I'm sure lots of parents, dads esp (not just because the songs is about dads, but they are more likely to be busy with a career) thought about it and went "that won't be me"
I'd guess many of those look back and go, "it happened anyway"

Most people are not good at avoiding the obvious mistakes,,even when they are pointed out. I definitely include myself in that.

LHutton
March 1st, 2015, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I loved it. Very true as well.

George
March 2nd, 2015, 11:58 AM
That song had an impact on me because I didn't want to be that kind of a dad. And I'm not. I have fresh bruises from sledding with my kids yesterday to prove it.

I should've stayed away from those jumps the older kids built! Oh, my achin' back!

Drachen596
March 3rd, 2015, 12:00 AM
Don't think it affected my childhood much.. Dad was always traveling for work and ended up moving many times to different places including Ohio, Florida, Michigan and finally back to Florida.

Incidentally he and I do not have the best of relationships.