PDA

View Full Version : Headphones, speakers, amps, general music playback

Yw-slayer
January 14th, 2014, 03:37 PM
All types. I think we're unlikely to become headfi2 or some butter speaker forum but why not have line thread.

As my Helix has no audio out, my junior lent me my pupil's (long story) usb tube amp to plug my basic creative speakers into. But what a difference, even though I'm using cheap cable! I haven't tested it with my Audio Technical AD500s yet but I did go out and buy a set of Sony XBA-H1s which I haven't yet tried.

Mr Wonder
January 14th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Headphone wise I'm still rocking Beyerdynamic MMX100 for portable duties. They still sound great but the microphone is apparently not working that well any more according to the people I call. Not my problem says I!
At home there is more of an issue, as the Beyerdynamic DT531s I use are really showing their age. Still sound good but the pads are worn as is the material covering the drivers. Not upset by that though, they were £60 over eight years ago so owe me nothing. I've been shopping around for replacements but haven't found anything suitable yet. I've tried B&Ws new P7 and they were pretty good if a little bass heavy, but not comfortable at all. Also they look awful which I know is ridiculous but there you have it. Also auditioned were a set of Bang & Olufsen H6, again nice sounding and pretty funky looking but didn't really blow me away.

I really want to find a set of Beyerdynamic T1 to try but nowhere stocks them nearby and there's no way I'm spending six hundred sheets on then unheard. Allegedly B&H photo have them in so I'll maybe give them a try as I'm over there next week. However people say you then need an amplifier. I've looked at soundcards with them built in, as I have a £100 amazon voucher to use, but it's a bit of a mine field. Especially with everyone over at various headphone forums cooing over all the different amplifiers and owning multiple sets of headphones which seems ludicrous. I guess I'll shop around for a while longer. Truth be told I don't need to replace them, I have seen replacement pads for Beyers from time to time. Maybe that's the more sensible option. Boring though!

Also my NAD 3150 amplifier is playing up. The right channel keeps dropping out. I was hoping a local guy could repair it for me but he's got too much work on already. He's referred me to someone else so we'll see how that goes. If not I'll bust the screwdriver and soldering iron out. I think it's just a dry joint somewhere on the input circuits.

overpowered
January 14th, 2014, 04:34 PM
I'm still reasonably happy with my Logitech h800 headset. It's not quite full over the ear like I'd like and it's not noise cancelling but it is wireless and that's nice at my desk. Works well for calls and it's decent for music.

Kchrpm
January 14th, 2014, 06:56 PM
I want a JBL Pulse, or the new Vizio tablet+boombox things. Still trying to figure out a cheap, WiFi controlled wireless audio setup.

CudaMan
January 14th, 2014, 07:24 PM
I have a small DAC (Beresford Bushmaster) hooked up to my computer and PS3 for easy source-switching, and it doubles as a headphone amp. Too bad none of my headphones are the kind that really want power. Maybe someday.

Yw-slayer
January 14th, 2014, 07:32 PM
The H1s are burning in now. Started them off with Slayer, now moving on to Oakenfold.

Rob
January 14th, 2014, 11:42 PM
V-Moda M80
Aiaiai TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition
Grado SR80i
Grado iGrado
BeyerDynamic MMX100

I probably have too many sets of headphones.

novicius
January 15th, 2014, 05:39 AM
Grado SR60's handle all of my head duties. Bought 'em cheap years ago and they're still kickin' it. :up: :up:

Rob
January 15th, 2014, 06:19 AM
The Grado SR80i are just too open to be used anywhere there are other people. They hear literally everything you do and you can hear all their bullshit too. If I'm in the house alone, I'll use those to watch movies or play games on a mobile device, but generally I need something with considerably more sound containment. The V-Moda M-80s are some of the best all-round cans I've ever used. Only criticism is that they sit on the ear and clamp fairly hard.

novicius
January 15th, 2014, 06:22 AM
I fully agree and it's something people should be aware of. :up:

For me, since I'm generally playing in a room with my girl who does still like to talk to me from time to time, it's actually a positive feature. YMMV. ;)

Rob
January 15th, 2014, 06:58 AM
No, if I have headphones on, I do not wish to be disturbed. If you must (eg. offering me food, drink, sex or luxury gifts and in the event of a life-threatening emergency), please use basic sign language.

She no longer talks over Ross The Boss solos though, so she's learning.

GreatScawt
January 15th, 2014, 06:59 AM
Yup, I use a set of Sennheiser HD555s for my laptop, boosted by a small turtle beach USB plug in. They pack a mean punch, but they are OPEN. I crank it up and you can hear it rooms away.

For the Xbox, I have a set of Turtle Beach XP300 (http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Wireless-Gaming-Headset-6304300/dp/B006W41W82)'s. Wireless everything. Pretty nice. Sound isn't as nice as the X-tatic SR (http://www.amazon.com/Sharkoon-X-Tatic-Headphone-Technology-360-63043006306200/dp/B005D6EQA6/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1389801299&sr=1-1&keywords=sharkoon+x-tatic+sr)'s, but those come with a sound expander.

I've been using Sennheiser CX 300B MK II (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EZYMF4/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)'s for running. I run to bassy EDM, I need good bass. These rock for that and stay in better than most "running buds".

Fast As Possible
January 20th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Welp, I still have my ATHM50 from 5 years ago, which was the plan. Buy $200 headphones, stop buying a shitty $20 pair every month. I've saved $1000 already. FTW.

Hooked in using my Roland UA-1EX USB DAC running foobar2000.

Fast As Possible
January 20th, 2014, 09:04 AM
I still have my Toshiba SA-420 (1977, 35wpc RMS) and it functions perfectly (dirty dials but no big deal) Luxman R-3055 (1977, 55wpc RMS) it works a bit, right cuts out after an hour and it's way scratchier, and my base model Pioneer VSX D412 from around 2004? It's like 25wpc over five channels, but it's still good. It has it's own powered sub. I usually just hook my laptop and the roland into them, but the Toshiba has an FM antenna and the stock AM antenna so I like to listen to news and classical on it.

sandydandy
January 21st, 2014, 05:32 AM
I have a pair of Beats by Dr. Dre Solo. Got em pretty cheap second hand, only $60. Would never spend regular price for Beats, or any other 'premium' headphones. Works great to cancel noise, especially snoring at night. I like to listen to white noise and other relaxing music to help me sleep, and these headphones are really good for that.

Rob
January 21st, 2014, 11:32 PM
Beats are £60 headphones retailing for three times their value.

See also: BOSE.

Yw-slayer
January 22nd, 2014, 01:01 AM
So for US$60 they are a steal!

sandydandy
January 22nd, 2014, 08:05 PM
This was $60 Canadian...so grand larceny. (Except it was a used headset).

GreatScawt
February 19th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Just bought these. I have no reason to buy them. Eh. Fuck it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q8IHDQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Random
February 19th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Finally found an ebay listing for a pair of the same H.H.Scott speakers that my dad owns*. No pictures with the grills off, so I email the lister to get them. Grills-off picture reveals that the foam on one speaker is torn and the foam on the other is gone. :| Good thing I asked for more pictures... Bah.

*3-way, sealed enclosure, insulated box, weigh about a million pounds because they are build out of 1" particle board. Sound amazing.

Yeti
February 19th, 2014, 11:04 AM
I've just sold almost everything I had, save for one system.

Currently rocking an Onkyo Integra A-8087 integrated, with a C-7030 CD player and TA-R22 tape deck, a Denon DP47F turntable and JML Focal Daline 3 speakers.

My grandmother's old Project/One stereo (80wpc Mark 800 receiver, DR-881 turntable, and Project/One Pioneer flouroscan knockoff tape deck) is still waiting for a recapping and some other work.

I have a couple of newer Onkyo and Denon pieces still waiting to be sold, as well as some Infinity Qe speakers I'm on the fence about.

In the past couple of weeks, a Kenwood KR-7600 80wpc receiver, a Sansui G-6000 65wpc receiver, a Kenwood KD-3055 turntable, a Technics SL7 turntable, a couple of random newer things, and some Phase Tech Teatro 7.5 speakers were all sold off.

Random
February 19th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Clearing out room for more stuff, or just clearing out? :)

Yeti
February 19th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Clearing out.

I've only got one set of ears, after all.

Jason
February 19th, 2014, 12:25 PM
I know I'll be laughed at for this, but I actually really like the new ear buds that come with new iPhones. Way better than the previous ones.

sandydandy
February 19th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Ear buds have never worked for me. They always fall out. I envy those people who can stick a bud in their ear and have it hook in securely.

Random
February 19th, 2014, 01:40 PM
I use tape to hold in my radio earbud when I'm racing.

I guess that would look a little funny at work, though...

Reverend Jim
February 19th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I know I'll be laughed at for this, but I actually really like the new ear buds that come with new iPhones. Way better than the previous ones.

I actually agree with this, the old ones were pure garbage, the new ones sound pretty decent for what they are. And they're also way more comfortable

Jason
February 19th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Ear buds have never worked for me. They always fall out. I envy those people who can stick a bud in their ear and have it hook in securely.

That's a big part of why I like the new ones... they actually seem to sit in there without being the rubber sort, so its a nice compromise between "sound tight" and good fit, if that makes sense.

I actually agree with this, the old ones were pure garbage, the new ones sound pretty decent for what they are. And they're also way more comfortable

Yeah, I was surprised they have decent mid and base levels (again, relative to the previous ones, and "free" headphones in general).

speedpimp
February 19th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Got a pair of Turtle Beach gaming head phones for cheap off of eBay.

Rob
February 19th, 2014, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I was surprised they have decent mid and base levels (again, relative to the previous ones, and "free" headphones in general).

It's not that they are good, they are barely average and actually pretty poor value for the retail price, it's that the previous ones were really REALLY bad.

Over here they want £40/$60 for them which will get you a dramatically better sounding set of Klipsch in-ears.

Jason
February 20th, 2014, 02:52 AM
Over here they come free with every portable iDevice. Seems like good value to me *shrugs*

Rob
February 21st, 2014, 02:50 AM
The iPad Air doesn't come with them.

Edit: None of the iPads currently available come with them. I don't think I got any headphones with either of my two previous iPads either.

Jason
February 21st, 2014, 08:39 AM
Portable meaning pocketable, sorry.

LHutton
February 23rd, 2014, 04:01 AM
Skull Candy for my PC.

Random
February 23rd, 2014, 08:35 AM
Cans-wise (lingo!), I've got a set of Sennheiser HD280 Pros (marginally portable) for home and a pair of PX-100s at work. Inexpensive with reasonable sound. :)

Kchrpm
February 23rd, 2014, 09:25 AM
I have some cheap-ish Sony noise cancelling headphones, that don't cancel very well, but they do well enough for office duty.

Sad, little man
March 5th, 2014, 01:40 PM
OH MY FUCKING GOD! :eek:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONKYO-INTEGRA-M-510-GRAND-INTEGRA-POWER-AMPLIFIER-/271372799989?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f2f144ff5

So.... Tempting.... Even for $8000. :| I've never seen another one actually for sale. Hell, there are very few photos of them.

Yeti
March 5th, 2014, 03:20 PM
That's been up forever. Nobody is going to buy it at that price.