PDA

View Full Version : Godson -- 1999 Porsche 911 Carrera

Pages : 1 [2]

Godson
July 23rd, 2015, 01:28 PM
Quick search leaves me to believe it is a delco "rebrand". I'll possibly put in the order tonight for 4 new sensors tonight

thesameguy
July 23rd, 2015, 01:33 PM
I would stick with Denso. Lots of bad reports on Delco O2 sensors on the Fiero forum. I wouldn't try to save even $100 on something that won't need to be touched likely ever again.

Godson
July 23rd, 2015, 02:55 PM
So you are saying buy the denso units for a mustang/etc and swapping the connectors?

TheBenior
July 23rd, 2015, 05:31 PM
Sure, why not, what's the worst that can happen, you end up with OEM VW electrical quality?

thesameguy
July 23rd, 2015, 06:51 PM
So you are saying buy the denso units for a mustang/etc and swapping the connectors?

Personally I would go with whatever the OE brand is - guessing Bosch or Denso given the time period - and swap connectors on generics if the Porsche-specific ones are crazy expensive. The Jag's OE Densos are only $50ea, can't imagine the Porsches are all that much more. The life-endingly-expensive O2 sensor thing died out about 10 years ago. Seems like these days all the quality ones are packed in between $40 and $60 each regardless of whether they're plug & play or need connectors.

Edit: Unless you need 5-wire widebands... then they can get a little pricey. The two 5-wires on the Jag are $90ea.

Godson
July 23rd, 2015, 08:05 PM
OE are between 110-160+.

Looks like some Bosch mustang o2 sensors it is. I'll pick some up tomorrow after work.

Godson
July 23rd, 2015, 09:20 PM
looks like the 'ultra power' is a rebox of the denso unit in this case. If the comparison photos are to be believed...

Or I can grab o2 sensor Bosch 15825 from a Dakota at 40 ea locally. 160 and tax for tomorrow with soldering versus 86 for a plug and play possibly next wednesday...

I'll risk the ultra power and snap some photos when they get here on wednesday. I need to try and diagnose why the engine is running "rich"

21Kid
July 24th, 2015, 10:43 AM
I don't think I want to buy a Porsche after reading this thread... :|

novicius
July 24th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Just get one from CarMax -- and buy the mega-warranty no matter how expensive it is. :lol:

Godson
July 24th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Just get one from CarMax -- and buy the mega-warranty no matter how expensive it is. :lol:

That is a solid idea actually. One of the writers of jalopnik do that with land rovers

A 16 year old o2 sensors is a good run. I'm curious about the rich condition. Time will tell.

thesameguy
July 24th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Yeah, my S4-owning coworker is trying to step up to a 997, and missed a helluva deal on an '07 (60k, $40k) that still had two years remaining on a CarMax warranty. He's in love with those things, after dodging a $4000 repair bill on his S4 (power steering pump took out the timing chain).

TheBenior
July 24th, 2015, 02:48 PM
A 16 year old o2 sensors is a good run. I'm curious about the rich condition. Time will tell.

Yep, give a vehicle enough time, things like that and rubber bits just start to fail. However, if it's a Japanese vehicle, it'll continue to run in spite of all the problems ;)

I definitely learned that one from my Suzuki GS550 :lol:

Godson
July 26th, 2015, 03:01 PM
The drivers side door compartment cover was broken when I bought the car. Dealer said he would get me another panel to swap the busted hinge. Finally got around to doing the today. I replaced all of the plastic door card clips while the panel was off.

Currently working on uploading the photos of the engine out process.

Godson
July 26th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Here are the photos of the engine being removed/out of the car
1312 1313 1314

Rear main seal removed and replaced. Stock one was leaking. Instructions say to not use any sealants, but I have had a lot of success with this stuff. It is supposedly designed and used for aircraft, so it should do the trick to not let any out around the outside of the seal.

1315 1316 1317

Here are the cams, lifters, timing chain pads, etc being removed and cleaned. Of the biggest note is some of the wear on the original timing chain pads. They definitely needed to be replaced.

1318 1319 1320 1321 13221323 1324 1325 1326 1329 1330 1328

IMS bearing removal, and the LN bearing installed. If you look carefully, you will see the LN bearing comes with a circular spring lockring. I had never used one before but it seemed to work perfectly.

New upper intake plenum gaskets, and the engine completely re-assembled.

1331 1340

Engine back into the car. Soo close!

Broken studs and the tools used to fix the problem. I burnt up 2 drill bits (using cutting oil even!!!) and broke 4 taps. This was probably the most frustrating and difficult part of the entire engine out process. I completed this after all the work was done and engine back in the car to make it as easy as possible.
1341 1327

thesameguy
July 27th, 2015, 09:07 AM
Very nice post - almost makes it seem not so bad. :)

GB
July 27th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Envious of the courage you have in diving right in like this. I'm too busy telling myself "I don't know how" to do it.

:toast:

thesameguy
July 27th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Do or do not, there is no try.

Godson
July 27th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Especially on 35 year old technology.

Godson
July 28th, 2015, 03:48 PM
O2 sensors came in today. No part number and they don't look like the photo. The box is probably one of the nicest cardboard boxes I have ever seen when dealing with parts.

What they hell. If it dumps the slow signal, and heat element code, it is worth it. Going to try and do it on Thursday.

Sad, little man
July 28th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Maybe you could sell the box on ebay to help pay for further repairs.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :thppt:

thesameguy
July 28th, 2015, 05:38 PM
Could be Ultrapower just OEs whomever is cheapest. That's not uncommon.

Godson
July 28th, 2015, 08:36 PM
The wire grommets are different. Either way, I'll give it a shot and let y'all know.

Just clicked over 90k miles

Godson
July 30th, 2015, 08:26 PM
After replacing 3 of the 4 (last one will require me to crack open the cooling system, which I didn't feel like fucking with, and is the downstream O2 which won't affect much), I decided to re-check codes, and clear them. I had a too-lean, and too rich code this time, which points to a possible MAF. If my conversions are correct, the MAF is reading off, I'll drive it around some to see if the codes re-appear, crack open the cooling system next week and replace the last one. After resetting the codes, the engine was definitely having to adjust and tune. It was ranging between 680 rpm (stock idle), to 1k. I'd guess in an attempt to re-learn what all is going on now that the upstream O2s are reading more correctly and faster(I datalogged the upstreams prior to deciding they needed replacement and noticed bank to was a touch slow to respond and adjust).

Also, after looking around, the O2's i got look exactly the same as the ones I pulled. Only thing missing is the bosch stamping on the body of the O2 sensors. Everything else, from the shield to the body, to the tail of the wiring is the same. Connector is white versus the factory gray and black. Let's see if this CEL comes back on. 90100 miles at time of reset.

Godson
August 2nd, 2015, 01:46 PM
Too rich adjustment codes p1124 and p1126. Possibilities are post MAF air-leak, bad MAF, among a few other things.

Also a code 1531. Which is a valve timing issue r/t a possible bad cam timing sensor or camshaft timing change on bank 1. This wasn't a hard code, just a pending one. Which may indicate an issue with the variocam timing solenoid on the drivers side, or the actuator itself. I'm going to call the indy shop tomorrow to get an idea on what is going on.

Jason
August 2nd, 2015, 06:53 PM
So are you enjoying all this, or is it a giant pain in the ass and making the car not worthwhile to own?

Godson
August 2nd, 2015, 08:52 PM
#mixedbag

Part of me wants to dump it to stop the bleeding of car payments and repair bills, put it towards traveling and motorcycling. I wonder if this is the by product of something I did or not). But the other half of me says to keep it and work through it. I am stubborn in the best and worst way. I love driving the car, but a truck is just easier. I have thought about buying a used frs, or even a FiST.

But I keep coming back to the idea that, I can't buy a car this impressive to drive for the same money. Outside of a few select parts, these cars aren't expensive if you know where to source things from. I might buy the Bentley manual to see if it has some more diagnostic information that the FSM I found does not.

The enrichment codes don't scare me at all. Usually something very simple. I am betting it is a vacuum leak somewhere. The camshaft timing codes kinda piss me off. Could be a 200 solenoid, or a 1k actuator. Either way, camshaft covers would need to come off...again. Car is due for an oil change, trans fluid change, and the 90k mile major service inspection. If I just had a lift id be a hell of a lot more eager to tear into this again.

Rikadyn
August 3rd, 2015, 01:52 AM
I'm curious if you're really into Porsches enough for all this effort. I mean I'm hardcore porsche fan, but I would only ever be willing to go to these lengths for my ideal 964

Jason
August 3rd, 2015, 06:14 AM
Hey, I understand Tyler, we all have things like that probably, was just curious. I've been impressed with all you're doing :up:

Godson
August 4th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Car has an appointment tomorrow. CEL hasnt come in since I made the appointment.

Alan P
August 5th, 2015, 03:03 AM
It knows! It KNOWS!

Godson
August 5th, 2015, 06:19 AM
Car doesn't know me though. I don't lose.

Godson
August 8th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Learned something new. Codes on Porsches can easily be misinterpreted by the scanner if it isn't a duramteric or the PTS2 scan tool. Codes i was pulling weren't matching up with what they were pulling. Codes cleared and I am supposed to drive it for a week to see if anything comes back. I have since put 100 miles on the car and no codes. Considering the car would do it within 15 miles of a reset, I wonder if anything was actually wrong in the first place. Tim will tell.

Godson
August 8th, 2015, 01:32 PM
I'm curious if you're really into Porsches enough for all this effort. I mean I'm hardcore porsche fan, but I would only ever be willing to go to these lengths for my ideal 964

Do remember all the work I did for the Volvo, I netted a $5k loss on that trade after everything was said and done. I drove that car for less than 1k miles in the 2+ years I owned it. I enjoyed driving it a hell of a lot less than this thing.

-----

Replacement oil pan ordered for 45 USD on Ebay. :D

I also asked the guys to chase out an oil leak that had been eluding me, turns out it is a faulty power steering line. Porsche wants 240 for the line. I am pondering taking it off and swinging by a hydraulic line store to see what they would charge me. Thoughts on the running around for a custom piece and supporting local versus just biting the bullet and paying the premium to have it here to just swap on?

thesameguy
August 8th, 2015, 07:46 PM
The crimper for power steering lines is generally the same as the one for other high pressure lines (like AC), and there is a shop about five miles from my house that has one so it's convenient for me to use them. A few feet of high pressure line and new crimpy pieces (no idea what they're called!) is tens of dollars plus usually 30-60 minutes of their time. For a $240 part, I'd probably be saving $150 - no-brainer! If you've got a shop that can crimp these high pressure lines (mine is an AC shop, but a hydraulic shop would have one too) I would definitely give them a call - as long as the ends on your line are good (no reason they wouldn't be) crimping new hose should be no problem. Definitely worth a call!

thesameguy
August 8th, 2015, 07:47 PM
It occurs to me I have no idea how the power steering system on a 996 works... what carries fluid from the back to the front? I assume metal lines, not 10' of rubber, right?

Godson
August 8th, 2015, 09:46 PM
It has an interesting bronze fittine on the stock part.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/99634744307/ES1485068/

The vehicle has metal body lines. If you want to look at a diagram, I'll give ya a link

Godson
August 12th, 2015, 03:45 PM
Replacement oil pan came in today. Car needs an oil change too. I'll knock that out all at once. I wanted to get the power steering line off tomorrow and swing by a hydraulic shop to see what they can do, but between working extra shift tomorrow and a dentist appointment, the PS line will need to wait.

thesameguy
August 12th, 2015, 06:59 PM
Meh... what's a little power steering leak between friends? :)

BTW, nothing looks complicated about that hose - you just cut that crimpy part off and replace it. The actual fitting doesn't go anywhere. I'd anticipate no problems replacing it given you can find the correct rubber hose size... and I would expect you'd need to provide that hose, because the hose shop may not stock the right stuff.

thesameguy
August 12th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Not helpful for the power steering line, but maybe useful for something else down the road...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9vO30n_Hq0#t=23

Godson
August 13th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Heh...

Rikadyn
August 16th, 2015, 04:42 AM
Do remember all the work I did for the Volvo, I netted a $5k loss on that trade after everything was said and done. I drove that car for less than 1k miles in the 2+ years I owned it. I enjoyed driving it a hell of a lot less than this thing.

That just tells me you have other issues :P

Godson
August 23rd, 2015, 07:44 PM
400 drama free miles to the Ozark area to go fishing with my dad.

Drama free from the cars point of view. Getting pulled over by a state trooper doing 79 in a 55 was a touch of drama. Guy was nice and let me go with a 60 in a 55. :D

thesameguy
August 23rd, 2015, 08:00 PM
Can't get mad at that! Having dad & fishing gear probably helped your case. ;)

Godson
September 12th, 2015, 09:33 PM
Driver side window makes a grinding noise now when going up. This is new as of today. Looks like I get to dig into it on Monday to figure out what is going on, as I am a windows down person.

thesameguy
September 12th, 2015, 09:46 PM
I was going to ask for a status update on the CEL... maybe I am glad I didn't?

novicius
September 13th, 2015, 04:34 AM
My driver's side power window motor, regulator & assembly was $70 shipped from A1Auto.com.

Godson
September 13th, 2015, 10:21 AM
I was going to ask for a status update on the CEL... maybe I am glad I didn't?

Nothing. Car has been behaving itself outside of the window.

Godson
September 14th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Failed window regulator. Pics later.

CudaMan
September 17th, 2015, 10:17 AM
You mean the 996 has a traditional belt-driven power steering pump? Crazy.

Godson
September 17th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Yup. In the back of the car. It'd be a great car for epas...

Godson
September 20th, 2015, 02:26 PM
CEL light on. 91,300-ish miles. Airbag light is also on, but that is from when I took the regulator out and did some key on stuff with the drivers door side airbag disconnected. Going to swing by the shop this week and see what they say.

Godson
September 29th, 2015, 01:09 PM
CEL light has turned off on its own.

Airbag light was turned off by the Indy shop I go to. Car pulled 27.9 mpg on its way down to Atlanta, completely drama free. That is until I realized the alignment was off and I was scrubbing the tires the entire time. First layer of steal belts were burned through. Cheap tires bought and will get put on tomorrow, alignment to come this week.

Since I can't attach photos from my phone. Y'all need to wait.

novicius
September 30th, 2015, 07:02 AM
Ye ouch!

Godson
September 30th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Minor issue to be honest. I could do the alignment. But fuck that noise. I'll pay someone to do that

Godson
October 2nd, 2015, 05:56 PM
Alignment was way out. I'll snap a photo and throw it all up this weekend.

Car actually feel like I can get oversteer now. Which excites me. I'm going to try to hit up the autocross on the 25th of this month. Last one of the year.

And the cel light is back on. Heh.

Godson
October 3rd, 2015, 05:45 PM
Ok, big photo dump of all that has happened.

Here is the removal of the oil pan after I broke off a bolt on it in my driveway. I also replaced the O2 sensors at this time. You can see the 'knock off' style next to the 'Factory' style. They look the exact same.

1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476

I went down to Atlanta to pick up some wheels and old race tires from ettsn, and on the way back I developed a pretty significant vibration in the steering wheel. Upon further inspection, I saw that I had gone through the kevlar and the steel belts on both front tires. If you look closely, you can see the bump of the tire where it was about to blow. Kinda scary. I found some 'Thunder' tires in 225/40r18 for 75$ each. They seem to be able to handle rain well, but I'll be honest, I'm only going to have them on until November when I switch to the snow tires.

I figured the alignment was out, as those tires had decent tread 3k miles prior. An alignment job later and I was right. PO had some stupid crazy toe on this thing. No idea why it was THAT aggressive.

1477 1478 1479 1480

The window regulator had failed some time ago, I just avoided rolling the window down until I could get the time to investigate and see what I was working with. I figured I might be able to fix it with some ingenuity, until I took the regulator apart and saw the mess of what WAS the cables. I think I am going to try and find a company locally who can make these cables, and just replace the cables in the future, as that is all that was actually 'bad'.

1481 1482 1483 1484 1485

Godson
October 19th, 2015, 07:16 AM
And the cel light is back on. Heh.

Had the code pulled again. Just emissions vaccuum system. Could be a solenoid, vaccuum leak, or a plastic and rubber valve.

Code cleared, came back within 100miles. Cleared itself in another 100. I'll fuck with it someday in the future.

Godson
October 26th, 2015, 04:07 PM
So, I attended my first autocross with the car yesterday. Ran in ASP due to the wheel spacers, short shifter, lowering springs, and 14 y/o Victoracers. I hadn't ran in my own car in over 8 years, I had no course walk, and the last time I had been to an event was over a year ago. Needless to say it was a bit interesting.

First run was like driving on cinder blocks, I also forgot that i had traction control, ABS was firing like crazy, turn in was a joke, putting power down was worthless, even with traction control time was a painful 56.807.

2nd run I remembered to turn off TC, was able to lap faster, tires felt a 'touch' better, but still worse than my all-seasons I am fairly certain, dropped down to a 50.926 without a ton of ABS intervention.

Third run the tires started to come alive a little, still no heat in them, and now that i knew what the course looked like I felt like I could start attacking corners. Time drops to a 49.450. I'm still not happy.

Fourth and final run, I have a passenger (good buddies girlfriend) and take her for a ride. Car is starting to turn in decently, but they still don't have a ton of grip, I can brake harder than before, but still not deep into the pedal, power is getting down well though. I damn near straight-lined a cone early but I the tires felt much faster. There was a sweeper leading into an offset at the finish in which I could feel the tires trying to gain some traction, but ultimately failing. The front end in this section would actually rise from the camber of the tires under turning and not being able to pull any traction caused them to "stand-up." It was an interesting feeling for sure. I ended up with a 47.747 +1.

Guys that I have previously beaten consistently were in the 43.4 range.

This car is going to be a hoot to Auto-x in ASP Street Tire.

I also just ordered my winter tires, should be here by Friday. I went a funky route on sizes because for some reason what I want isn't really available. Hankook Winter I*Cept Evo 2 W320 (http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=searchWinterTiresBySize.do&fl=w&pc=11879&counter=0&ar=50&rd=17&cs=225). I went with a taller and narrower tire as always, to hopefully get through the snow easier. 225/50R17 on the front and 245/45R17 on the rear. Total cost with shipping is 536 USD. Should be here by Friday, I'll get them mounted up Monday or so.

samoht
October 26th, 2015, 11:40 PM
Sounds like fun, I can imagine it being pretty damn good once dialled in. Glad you're getting onto the enjoying part of ownership rather than just the fixing bit !

CudaMan
October 27th, 2015, 07:37 PM
Sounds like you might be ditching those Victoracers soon, but one thing I found that helped to revive old Kumhos back in the day was FormulaV traction treatment. Not sure where you can get it anymore but it worked for me.

Random
October 27th, 2015, 07:43 PM
The usual suspects have it still (Pegasus, Jegs, soloperformance), as well as amazon.

Godson
October 27th, 2015, 07:47 PM
I still have a half gallon of it. But I don't know if I want to keep the tires with the hassle of it all. I'd need more wheels in the summer. I don't know if it worth the effort.

CudaMan
October 27th, 2015, 08:19 PM
A paint roller and an hour of time seems worth it to me for the next 6 months but what do I know :)

Godson
October 27th, 2015, 08:42 PM
True....

Godson
November 11th, 2015, 02:11 PM
After driving a p85D. I think I need the model 3. Doing some number crunching now.

Yw-slayer
November 11th, 2015, 06:29 PM
When it comes out in late 2017.

Godson
November 11th, 2015, 06:43 PM
I sell the 911 now, I open up a decent amount of cash flow. I can stockpile money for added down payment, as well as buy the street fighter s I have been teasing myself with.

thesameguy
November 11th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Man, I am not sure I'd make any 3 plans right now. I'd have $5k on hand for a waiting list spot, but I wouldn't bank on them actually being available in 2017 yet.

21Kid
November 12th, 2015, 05:58 AM
Probably first come, first serve, on pre-orders.
I would if I had the $$$ available.

Kchrpm
November 12th, 2015, 06:16 AM
I am consistently wondering how much different the 3 will be to the S. I mean, there's going to be a huge difference in price, that won't be completely taken care of by just economies of scale.

thesameguy
November 12th, 2015, 08:18 AM
There are a lot of "nice touches" in the S that probably won't be present in the 3 - materials, giant touch screens, NVH treatment, fancy door handles - that sort of stuff. The S is kind of a kitchen sink approach, like most cars in its price range these days. The 3 will no doubt be a lot more, um, precise. :)

Godson
November 12th, 2015, 08:40 AM
I know. The loan on this thing is 48 months. It'll be paid off in March of '19 if I only do minimum. This is being said in the fact I will even like the model 3. I'd like it alot if it was 80% sized model s. The more I read the more it sounds like it won't be.

Kchrpm
November 12th, 2015, 09:20 AM
I've heard people on a car podcast talking about the 3 and trying to figure out how much faster than the S it will be, because it will be smaller and therefore lighter. Some people's expectations are just out of control.

Godson
November 12th, 2015, 09:49 AM
There will be high performance models. Those will be out of my price range though...

thesameguy
November 13th, 2015, 03:07 PM
There is a "super high mile" 996 for sale locally that a coworker of mine is getting itchy about. It's a '99 with a 140k... well, shit, here's the ad:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5260903275.html

Assuming he was going to put 10k a year on it, what's the next major maintenance point assuming the IMS has been handled?

Godson
November 13th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Let me look at the service schedule. Major service iirc is at 45k intervals. Also, knowing when the IMS was done is important too. Dual row ln engineering bearing are theoretically good for eternity. I'd lean more on the 100k mile range when another used engine is 6-10k.

Godson
November 13th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Unless he has evidence the IMS was handled, consider it untouched.

Godson
January 8th, 2016, 07:13 PM
98200 miles. CEL has been off for over 300miles. Don't know why, don't care.

Changed oil, and transaxle fluid. Oil looked and felt perfect, smelled appropriate too. Had some condensation in the filler tube so I cleaned that out, and lubed the o-ring to the filler cap.

Transaxle oil was changed with some redline 75/90 of some special 'racing transaxle' formula that my Indy had in hand. Trans seems to be a touch happier with the fresh fluid.

Next on the list is to figure out a front end squeak/rattle.

Godson
January 21st, 2016, 03:29 PM
This car, in the snow, is a fucking hoot.

Decent amount of rear grip, modest amount of front grip, and it gets round good.

Bad part, 9 quarts of oil takes a long damn time to make temperature.

21Kid
January 22nd, 2016, 07:01 AM
Wow, 9 quarts? That's more than the BMW...

Godson
January 22nd, 2016, 08:34 AM
M3 was a touch under 8. This engine is still a wet sump. The thing to remember is the oil doesn't live in a V. So more oil is needed for the pistons being so far apart from each other.

Godson
January 28th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Just scored stock springs!

thesameguy
January 28th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Said nobody ever!

novicius
January 28th, 2016, 04:49 PM
:lol: :up:

Godson
January 28th, 2016, 07:13 PM
Said nobody ever!

Didn't I just say it though? ;)

21Kid
January 29th, 2016, 06:18 AM
M3 was a touch under 8. This engine is still a wet sump. The thing to remember is the oil doesn't live in a V. So more oil is needed for the pistons being so far apart from each other.I've owned 3 Subaru's now... well, one's a Saabaru ;) and the ej25 only takes 4.5. :shrug:

Godson
January 29th, 2016, 10:02 AM
BECAUSE PORSCHE DAMNIT!!!!!! :lol:

Kchrpm
January 29th, 2016, 10:04 AM
BECAUSE PROFITS DAMNIT!!!!!! :lol:

FTFY :D

Godson
January 29th, 2016, 10:04 AM
15k mile oil changes would be another reason.

TheBenior
January 29th, 2016, 05:27 PM
That works out to fewer quarts per mile than my Mazdaspeed3, which has a 6 quart capacity and 7500 mile oil change intervals. Though 7500 miles on cheap conventional oils in an MS3 is probably asking for trouble.

Godson
January 31st, 2016, 07:01 AM
Springs delivered yesterday. After looking at the paint codes, they gave me C4s front springs.

The rear springs match either the Cabriolet 6-speed, or a tiptronic Coupe.

Translation....I'd have super high front ride height because of the missing weight of the differential and running gear, and a higher ride height than the stock setup due to the weight missing over the back end. I'm going to call them tomorrow on my lunch break.

Godson
February 6th, 2016, 06:45 PM
So, this happened today

Sad, little man
February 6th, 2016, 06:54 PM
*Slowly steps away from the 100,000 mile Porsche before something bad happens. :|

Godson
February 6th, 2016, 08:01 PM
I'm not worried about it.

I embrace mileage. I want to put another 100k on it, but the Tesla Model III might not allow that.

Godson
February 14th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Seat heaters have been ordered to make this a long term vehicle. I'll do the install and have a write up. I am going to use a 3 position switch; off, low, and medium; instead of a 5 position switch; off, 1,2,3,4. I would prefer to us the 5 position switch for the sake of having more options, but I can't find sizes or dimensions anywhere listed from the manufacturer or anywhere else. Due to this, I am going the small round 3 position switch instead of the dial so I can place it in the spot I want and have a decent look still.

Godson
March 5th, 2016, 01:31 PM
To sell this, or not to sell this.

I can dump 7k+ in debt if I sell it, and net a more comfortable daily vehicle. Currently eyeing https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/5476794680.html .

Thoughts? Ideas? Opinions?

novicius
March 5th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Well even if you ignore your car's marque, the vehicle you have has 100K mile less wear so that's a plus.

Also its a PORSCHE that you've had service done on, not a 200K-mile mystery Volvo. :lol:

So the sensible thing would be to keep the Porsche and pass on the Volvo... I expect to see the Volvo in your garage by Tuesday. :lol:

Yw-slayer
March 5th, 2016, 03:03 PM
I agree with Novi. :lol: I don't think any car in HK has ever done more than 200,000 miles.

thesameguy
March 5th, 2016, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't be inherently put off by 200k P1. Engines are tried and trued, and by '05 the bugs were worked out of the transmission. The P1 is a solid platform that is relatively inexpensive to maintain. I would be slightly concerned about the state of the electronics - they can be a little pricey and everything in the '04ish+ cars is married. You can't do anything without VCM. Maybe not worth worrying about depending on ownership term. But, at $5k I would seriously be looking at a B4.5 A4 1.8tq for half the money. With a manual, there isn't too much costly stuff to worry about assuming the suspension is in good shape Possibly even a Y2K-ish Subaru. It will need head gaskets, but from what I'm told a good wrench can knock that out in six hours with pulling the entire motor out.

Godson
March 5th, 2016, 07:17 PM
The more I think about the Volvo, the more I realize it wouldn't increase my daily drivers versatility over the 911.

If it were a Colorado or a Tacoma, then I'd be a lot more likely to buy it.

thesameguy
March 5th, 2016, 07:35 PM
;)

Kchrpm
March 5th, 2016, 08:39 PM
I selfishly want you to buy a new Colorado just so I know someone with one.

novicius
March 12th, 2016, 04:35 AM
A quick ebay search reveals prices for new axle-back systems in the $400-600 USD range. That's going to be a lot cheaper, a lot easier and a lot more trustworthy than trying to aftermarket twin-turbo your Porsche.

#justsayin' ;)

Godson
March 12th, 2016, 06:47 AM
I already have 1 vehicle that my neighbors hate when it starts up at 0550 each morning. I don't want/need 2. ;)

;)

Random
March 12th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Tyler adding things to a Porsche. Hmm. :popcorn:

novicius
March 12th, 2016, 02:45 PM
:lol: :up:

Godson
April 25th, 2016, 05:22 PM
2nd failed part. 102k miles.

Brake pedal switch. 12$. 4 minutes to swap old out with new. 30 min to properly diagnose.

novicius
April 25th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Yeah but that first failed part was a doozy! ;)

Godson
April 25th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Yeah but that first failed part was a doozy! ;)

The window regulator?

Nothing else has failed.

novicius
April 26th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Oh my bad -- I didn't quite catch the IMS adventures were elective vs something breaking. :up:

Godson
April 26th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Everything on that front was completely elective, except RMS. You could say that was a failure, but that was prior to my ownership.

Minus a vent tube that a buddy broke. But that's not a failed part.

novicius
April 26th, 2016, 11:10 AM
Just a failed partner. :lol:

Godson
April 26th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Yeah. He was hard enough on himself that I didn't need to be tough on him. Especially when he found out the rubber cost me $60

21Kid
April 27th, 2016, 06:03 AM
Failed partner... broken rubber... I feel like I missed something along the way.

novicius
April 27th, 2016, 07:54 AM
Hey-oh! #snaredrum

Godson
April 27th, 2016, 08:11 AM
Nope, just another day in my life...

Godson
May 17th, 2016, 06:48 PM
Annnnnnd....

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/5591683818.html

Godson
May 17th, 2016, 09:18 PM
Feel free to give me feedback on this too. KBB lists these vehicles of PP for around 12.5-13k. However, I am the cheapest on the market right now by 1.3k. Granted I have 20k more miles than the other one, I have also addressed the IMS bearing, AOS, and RMS.

TSG, does your co-worker want one? I'll make him a hell of a deal.

novicius
May 18th, 2016, 04:07 AM
You don't want to list those fixes in your ad?

Car looks very sharp! :up:

21Kid
May 18th, 2016, 05:35 AM
Dog-butt not included? :( Do not want.

novicius
May 18th, 2016, 05:41 AM
Kid, it's time -- you should buy this. :cool:

Phil_SS
May 18th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I would definitely list your improvements, like the IMS. Of course you can show pictures of your tear down etc when someone shows strong interest which I think is a major plus.

A few years from now and I would be very very tempted.

21Kid
May 18th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Kid, it's time -- you should buy this. :cool:
Are you financing?

novicius
May 18th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Hey now, you know how hot I get when you use those big words! :lol:

Just remember: it's your first Porsche, not your last. ;)

thesameguy
May 18th, 2016, 03:07 PM
I will pass it along, but I think probably not. He bought a 328xi wagon a couple months ago and his wife is now hounding him about a minivan. I think his sports car dream is on the back burner again. And, tbh, around here the early 996 market is pretty crowded. It really wouldn't worth shipping one.

samoht
May 19th, 2016, 04:51 AM
Sorry you're selling this.

I reckon you would benefit from adding a lot more, better photos. The ones you have are really dark, you can't really see much of the car. The car looks nice, but they aren't that helpful in assessing condition IMHO.
Also, I think you should put a load of interior & engine bay photos also.

The more info you can present, the easier a decision someone will have about travelling a distance to view it, which should help you I think.

Also, yes definitely list the RMS and IMS work you've done, you'll go to the top of a serious buyer's shortlist that way.

Can't comment on price from this side of the pond, but definitely look at other cars on the market rather than trade guides for a specialist car like this.

Godson
June 9th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Sale pending.

Godson
June 9th, 2016, 03:53 PM
Hey now, you know how hot I get when you use those big words! :lol:

Just remember: it's your first Porsche, not your last. ;)

Yup. Next porsche will likely be a boxster

Alan P
June 9th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Sorry you're selling this.

I reckon you would benefit from adding a lot more, better photos. The ones you have are really dark, you can't really see much of the car. The car looks nice, but they aren't that helpful in assessing condition IMHO.
Also, I think you should put a load of interior & engine bay photos also.

The more info you can present, the easier a decision someone will have about travelling a distance to view it, which should help you I think.

Also, yes definitely list the RMS and IMS work you've done, you'll go to the top of a serious buyer's shortlist that way.

Can't comment on price from this side of the pond, but definitely look at other cars on the market rather than trade guides for a specialist car like this.

Have to agree with this. Most people looking for a car like this will have done their homework so if you've had remedial or pre-emptive work done to remedy any of the very common, possibly critical to the engine life work done, absolutely list this.

Also more photos. Lots of nice, daylight ones from lots of angles and include interior shots. The cynical people might think the interior is ripped or a mess because you haven't shown it. Also list your service History too and even when the next service is due and where it's been done previously. All this promotes confidence and is likely to make someone travel further.

21Kid
June 10th, 2016, 05:05 AM
Sale pending.

:up:

Godson
June 13th, 2016, 05:32 PM
Sold

novicius
June 13th, 2016, 05:55 PM
:up: :up:

On to the next adventure! :D

Godson
June 13th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Currently eyeing an 08 Eddie Bauer explorer with the 4.6.

FaultyMario
June 13th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Da fuq?

Unless of course the towing capabilities and the cargo space of such a comfortable vehicle will allow you and your company of motor men to take thee irons stable to the funshire.

thesameguy
June 13th, 2016, 07:35 PM
All oft that xeleventybillion

Godson
June 14th, 2016, 03:32 AM
Da fuq?

Unless of course the towing capabilities and the cargo space of such a comfortable vehicle will allow you and your company of motor men to take thee irons stable to the funshire.

;)

Phil_SS
June 16th, 2016, 09:21 AM
Is the new owner named Glenn?

Godson
August 21st, 2017, 11:00 AM
Update.

I sold the car to a local friend. He and I work together on occasion. He asks me a few weeks ago if I ever pulled the pulleys off when I did the engine out as apparently on of the pulleys that bolts into the block broke the tab that holds it in to the block.

He talked to a welder and they said engine needed to come out.

Guess what I helped do two weeks ago.

Pull the engine and transmission. Again. This time it went smoother on removal.

Installation was way smoother too, but the transmission was a bitch to re-stab. Good news is, the transmission and engine are back in the car and the owner is going to button up the last pieces of the car without my help.

It felt damned good to wrench on that thing again.

novicius
August 24th, 2017, 06:22 AM
Wow crazy! :up: :up:

For more reasons than one you never should've sold her. :(

Godson
August 25th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I kinda agree. However, I have more stories to tell with selling it. :)