PDA

View Full Version : Godson -- 1999 Porsche 911 Carrera

Pages : [1] 2

Godson
March 10th, 2015, 05:33 AM
Yup. I went and did it...

Pics later today

10761077107810791080108110821083108410851086108710 88108910901091109210931094109510961097109810991100

Build codes explained:

220 - 40% locking differential
222 - Traction control (kind of silly, car has shit tons of traction)
224 - Automatic LSD
234 - Tire information r/t factory build setup
408 - 18" 993 Turbo Technology hollow spoke wheels (not a common option, and the wheels are the true hollo spokes)
424 - CD compartment (just a CD holder, won't be useful in a littlebit...)
437 - 8 way power seat, left
438 - 8 way power seat, right
446 - Wheel caps with colored Porsche crest (yawn)
490 - sound system (sounds like shit)
537 - memory seat, left (yawn)
688 - CD-radio Porsche/Becker CDR-210 USA (did I mention it sounds like shit?)

Car was purchased with 84,911miles on it.

Kchrpm
March 10th, 2015, 07:12 AM
From a Yukon to a 911? Damn son :up:

Random
March 10th, 2015, 08:23 AM
:lol:

samoht
March 10th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Nice! Look forward to seeing pics and hearing all about it.

CudaMan
March 10th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Score!

Yw-slayer
March 10th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Wow, nice, BRO!

TheBenior
March 10th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Tease.

Godson
March 10th, 2015, 08:22 PM
Sorry for the shitty low light cell phone pics. I'll drag up a DSLR and get some good photos this weekend.

I bought the car with 85k or so miles. Car has a great feeling clutch with tons of bite. I don't think it is the stock unit.

Car has the 40% locking diff and 18 in factory hollow spoke wheels. Both are kinda hard to find.

Previous owner put H&R wheel spacers on front and rear, gives it a great stance and look. Vehicle also has a B&M short shifter.

My previous favorite drivers car was the AP1 S2000. This thing could very well replace it. Going to do some preventative maintenance like a new water pump and coolant flush, check over everything, an IMS Guardian to possibly give me a chance of preventing the dreaded IMS failure.

TheBenior
March 10th, 2015, 08:24 PM
:up:

Yw-slayer
March 10th, 2015, 11:51 PM
Sweet, bro. I'm glad to see you are a Porsche owner. I hope you don't turn into a "PORSCHE" owner. ;)

Rikadyn
March 11th, 2015, 04:24 AM
hmm...a 996, neat...

thesameguy
March 11th, 2015, 07:23 AM
Fine, fine automobile my friend!

I hope you remain a Porsche owner, instead of turning into a FUCKING PORSCHE REPAIR BILL PARTS COST PORSCHE owner. :up: ;)

novicius
March 11th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Note to self: Tyler is a young man and helpless against his own impulses. :lol:

Looks good, tho'! I hope you don't have to change anything about it 'cept for oil, gas, brakes & tires. ;)

thesameguy
March 11th, 2015, 10:09 AM
When I was shopping for my first car, I used to go to this weirdo public auto auction down in Salida, which is more or less in the middle of nowhere. They always had some unexpected cars for being Central CA, and one time they had an '83 911SC. Because it was an auto auction in Central CA, everything was wide open and all you had to do was wave and some dude would show up with a booster pack and the keys and you could start it and inch it forwards and backwards. It wasn't much, but it was the first time I drove a Porsche. I was sure I was going to go back & bid on it that weekend, but at work the following day while I told everyone who would listen I was going to try and buy a Porsche, I was taken aside by the company attorney. He told me all about his 911 and what a wonderful combination of death trap and money pit it was, and he was never happier than when he sold it. He then tossed me the keys to his 560SL and said "Drive a Mercedes, especially an SL, and you will never want another car." Of course I went and drove the Benz, but Milt was nuts. I still want the Porsche. :D

novicius
March 11th, 2015, 10:15 AM
The only problem I see here is that this is most likely a daily driver; scary to be racking up that much time and mileage on a Porsche, IMO.

Should'a sold the high mileage Ducati for this and kept the Yukon instead... but hey, not too late to sell the Duc and buy a daily driver shitbox! :lol: #goodluck #livingthedream

Godson
March 11th, 2015, 10:41 AM
There are several others who are dding these things. Several over 200k miles. One sold recently with 360k miles.

If shit breaks, I have money in the bank for a beater. I'd rather not own a beater if I dont need to.

thesameguy
March 11th, 2015, 10:58 AM
One of the partners here had a mid-year 996 that he daily drove. IIRC it was around 140k when he sold it. No point in asking what it cost him to keep running, because he wouldn't know. Like they say, money ain't a thing with him. He just bought a Quattroporte, which quite seriously is the most sensible car he's owned in ten years. Heh.

KillerB
March 11th, 2015, 12:15 PM
Nice!

Rikadyn
March 11th, 2015, 01:19 PM
it's a 996, should be cheap enough to replace if it breaks. :P

Godson
March 11th, 2015, 02:37 PM
it's a 996, should be cheap enough to replace if it breaks. :P

Sad but true

samoht
March 11th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Prices seem to be creeping up over here, perhaps nudged up by the influence of all the other 911s rocketing in value. Good time to buy, I think :up:

Looks good, too (although needs better pics).

Godson
March 12th, 2015, 04:06 PM
First batch of parts ordered. Couple of things.

I noticed the RMS seal has been leaking for some time when I tossed it on a lift today for my state inspection. Ordered one of those.
Also noticed what appears to be my Air/Oil separator causing a leak as well. Ordered one of those.
To replace AOS, you gotta pull the intake manifold, so I ordered all new gaskets for the upper and lower plenums.
And lastly, I ordered the IMS Guardian. Which was by far the most expensive thing on the list.

As money gets in, I'll order the LN engineering IMS bearing. I'd rather just do the Pelican parts bearing and replace it every 40k miles, but I need to do more research. Ball bearings will always eventually fail, I just need to figure out if the 800$ option is worth it over the 140$ one.

Now, onto pics from the dealers ad.
10761077107810791080108110821083108410851086108710 88108910901091109210931094109510961097109810991100

Build codes explained:

220 - 40% locking differential
222 - Traction control (kind of silly, car has shit tons of traction)
224 - Automatic LSD
234 - Tire information r/t factory build setup
408 - 18" 993 Turbo Technology hollow spoke wheels (not a common option, and the wheels are the true hollo spokes)
424 - CD compartment (just a CD holder, won't be useful in a littlebit...)
437 - 8 way power seat, left
438 - 8 way power seat, right
446 - Wheel caps with colored Porsche crest (yawn)
490 - sound system (sounds like shit)
537 - memory seat, left (yawn)
688 - CD-radio Porsche/Becker CDR-210 USA (did I mention it sounds like shit?)

Soon to happen plans are to move the HVAC system to the lower compartment in preparation for the double din stereo system I want to put in it. As previously mentioned, car has H&R wheel spacers, B&M short shifter, and H&R lowering springs. Ill know more this weekend when I start wrenching on it.

thesameguy
March 12th, 2015, 10:19 PM
Somewhat funny, when I mentioned to my coworker you bought a '99 911 he said "Hope he bought an RMS, IMS, and separator with it.: ROFL.

Godson
March 13th, 2015, 07:21 AM
Pretty much true.

I'd be interested to see if the toyobaru cars have similar issues with RMS.

The IMS retrofit kit seems to be the best current option, but at 800$ and still estimated life of 50-80k miles, I could put a lot more of the cheaper bearing in its place and save bank. The question is, is the risk work it...

novicius
March 13th, 2015, 07:30 AM
If you're gonna be putting miles on the car year round, I'd think that the $650 difference would buy some added peace of mind, no?

thesameguy
March 13th, 2015, 08:18 AM
Pretty much true.

I'd be interested to see if the toyobaru cars have similar issues with RMS.

The IMS retrofit kit seems to be the best current option, but at 800$ and still estimated life of 50-80k miles, I could put a lot more of the cheaper bearing in its place and save bank. The question is, is the risk work it...

My coworker guy has been waffling about a 996 for five years, and every day he comes by my desk to share his latest discoveries about the joys and trials of 996 ownership. It's his BIL that has one for sale - and I think the reason he wasn't interested in it himself is that he wants a C4S. But, my understanding is the 996's needs are all design flaws. RMS, IMS, and separator are underengineered and that's why they fail. No idea what I'm talking about, it's just what I've gathered from his ramblings. He is on rennlist an hour or two a day, and I think he likes the RN Engineering repair but that could have changed. :) His BIL suggests that keeping on top of the separator (so it doesn't get clogged) and frequent oil changes will save the IMS indefinitely. He has no actual knowledge, but OTOH he does these things and his hasn't failed. ;) It's not like all of them fail, so clearly there is an unquantified variable. :)

M4FFU
March 13th, 2015, 08:20 AM
That is lovely. Very lovely. Hugely jealous, also. :up:

novicius
March 13th, 2015, 08:53 AM
That is lovely. Very lovely. Hugely jealous, also. :up:
Yes, if I didn't convey that adequately enough, fantastic find & achievement Tyler! :up: :up:

#moneyshotzz

Godson
March 13th, 2015, 09:13 AM
My coworker guy has been waffling about a 996 for five years, and every day he comes by my desk to share his latest discoveries about the joys and trials of 996 ownership. It's his BIL that has one for sale - and I think the reason he wasn't interested in it himself is that he wants a C4S. But, my understanding is the 996's needs are all design flaws. RMS, IMS, and separator are underengineered and that's why they fail. No idea what I'm talking about, it's just what I've gathered from his ramblings. He is on rennlist an hour or two a day, and I think he likes the RN Engineering repair but that could have changed. :) His BIL suggests that keeping on top of the separator (so it doesn't get clogged) and frequent oil changes will save the IMS indefinitely. He has no actual knowledge, but OTOH he does these things and his hasn't failed. ;) It's not like all of them fail, so clearly there is an unquantified variable. :)

Yeah. Most prominent theory is to replace RMS, IMSB every 40k or so. AOS seems to be variable, but you can at least test it to see if it is failing or not without reading into it (using a water manometer on the oil fill tube).

On the IMSB you can use the IMS guardian and try to predict the possible failure. But in my thoughts, if the metal is in the pan, it is everywhere else.

Godson
March 16th, 2015, 03:10 PM
First batch of parts arrived today. I got everything I needed to do the air/oil separator except the throttle body gasket...

Not Happy with myself.

thesameguy
March 16th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Can you just fashion one out of sticks & leaves?

Phil_SS
March 16th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Definitely interested in this thread. Always wanted a 911 and a 996 will be the best deal. Even with the IMS issues.

Godson
March 16th, 2015, 05:58 PM
I'd recommend reading. A LOT.

I'd also recommend a '99 due to the more durable dual row bearing. The failure rate on the single row from '00 to '05 have the class action lawsuit and affected as much as 8% or more of the production run from that range.

LN Engineering also sells a ceramic and steel hybrid setup for both. The kit is +/- $800. Single row hybrid bearings are recommended to be replaced every 50k miles. They have had a couple of failures from the single row ceramics, none of the dual rows. The single rows however can implement the IMS Solution, but the engine must pass a complex inspection before it can be installed only by a certified installer.

The install itself isn't hard from what I have read, just time consuming. Drop the transmission, pull clutch and flywheel, lock engine at TDC, time the cams, then r/r the imsb. Tools are in the area of 300-500. Pelican sells a replica of the factory bearing in kit form for 200 or so. If you are willing to swap it out every 25-30k on single rows, you'll be fine.

Air/oil seperators are also known to fail and can pop an engine if they are REALLY bad off. Parts are around 200 for the aos, upper/lower intake plenum gaskets, tb gasket, and a few other things through pelican. Job takes 5-8 hours depending on your wrenching ability. Some guys drop the engine for more clearance. Pussies.

The Rear Main Seal is also another failure item. Part is 20, and just like any other vehicle, trans/clutch/flywheel come off and the new one goes in.

I am more than willing to discuss it a little more in depth if you would like to over phone or fb. Just let me know.

Yw-slayer
March 17th, 2015, 03:17 AM
German car quality ftw?

Rikadyn
March 17th, 2015, 03:43 AM
Definitely interested in this thread. Always wanted a 911 and a 996 will be the best deal. Even with the IMS issues.

ditto except i want a 964.

Godson
March 17th, 2015, 07:01 AM
"German quality" is a hell of a misnomer.

The chassis is lights out, just like the trans axle. Engine...well.

BMW on the other had sucks at everything since the e30 was stopped.

Random
March 17th, 2015, 07:13 AM
The E30 has problems too.

novicius
March 17th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Single row hybrid bearings are recommended to be replaced every 50k miles. They have had a couple of failures from the single row ceramics, none of the dual rows. The single rows however can implement the IMS Solution, but the engine must pass a complex inspection before it can be installed only by a certified installer.
While I fully understand that this isn't a problem for your '99 Tyler, this is why I think daily driving a Porsche is nutso. 50k-ish miles before entering the Danger Zone??

Each precious mile should be spent in the sun-dappled perfect roads of the Ozarks only. Trailer that bitch there and back again, too! :cool:

Rikadyn
March 17th, 2015, 08:15 AM
Maybe consider an LS swap >.>

Godson
March 17th, 2015, 10:21 AM
There are a lot of Ls swapped 996es in kc.

novicius
March 17th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Maybe consider an LS swap >.>
Tyler already has the chops to do most major maintenance on his 996, I fail to see where this would gain him either in time, mileage or even money. The conversion kits I've googled run about $2,500+ and then you have to buy the LSx. As opposed to keeping the Porsche Flat-6 running with gasket swaps and frequent oil changes? Even in Porsche dollars, keeping the stock mill stock & running has got to be cheaper (barring a complete failure).

Seriously, after all the hair-pulling he did with his supercharged 5.0L Volvo, this suggestion is just naff. :smh:

TheBenior
March 17th, 2015, 01:47 PM
FWIU, the Renegade Hybrid kits are pretty well regarded, and with an LS3, you'd get 911 Turbo performance with less weight.

However, they're not cheap (~$6500 for the complete kit plus the cost of an LS engine), so as you said, barring a catastrophic failure, it's not the cheap option.

neanderthal
March 18th, 2015, 04:20 PM
A guy who goes by the handle Tavarish (or something like that) on Jalopnik wrote a nice piece on Porsches with the IMS failure and how to deal with it.

Rikadyn
March 19th, 2015, 12:59 AM
There are a lot of Ls swapped 996es in kc.

that's...sad...maybe 26b swap then?

(obv. I said it as a joke, both swaps)

novicius
March 19th, 2015, 07:53 AM
Frankly (and OT), I'm kinda surprised that Porsche hasn't announced that they're going to produce their own engineered hyperbike (they've done motorcycle concepts before (http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/porsches-attempt-at-making-a-motorcycle.htm)).

Godson
March 20th, 2015, 08:02 AM
A guy who goes by the handle Tavarish (or something like that) on Jalopnik wrote a nice piece on Porsches with the IMS failure and how to deal with it.

The problem with that article is the engine has many other areas that can cause a destruction. He makes it out like that is the only problem with the engine. He also fails to mention the LN Engineering bearing is still considered a maintenance item and should be replaced every 50k miles if it is a single row bearing.

The Air/Oil separator is another area that can nuke the engine. This can be diagnosed with a manometer being attached to the oil fill cap and measuring vacuum. Spec is 4-6in of H2O. Anything higher than that and it needs to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Another area is the cylinder bores themselves are prone to cracking. This is commonly referred to d-chunking. The fix is to have the cylinders completely machined out and replaced by Flat 6 Innovations or LN Engineering.

The plastic guides on the timing chains are also known to break apart and cause timing change and can create valve to piston contact. Which again results in an engine failure.

I did read that article when it came out, and with a little searching found out how little research he actually did in his post. Stuff like this is becoming more and more common on Jalopnik, and ultimately why I wish it would go away. The nice and good informative articles that were well thought and researched are quickly becoming replaced with articles that mis-inform and are knee jerk reactions.

Yw-slayer
March 20th, 2015, 01:51 PM
You mean click-bait.

Godson
March 20th, 2015, 07:14 PM
You mean click-bait.

Yeah that. Not to mention they post articles about the collect ability of the s2000. Further reducing the chance of one in OK shape falling in the sub10k range.

Cam
March 21st, 2015, 07:22 AM
I am both happy for you and feel bad for you. Maintenance costs may be shocking. :lol:

Godson
March 21st, 2015, 07:21 PM
I am both happy for you and feel bad for you. Maintenance costs may be shocking. :lol:

I have a good line on parts, most of which I can have within 24 hours, and cheaper than Pelican. I also plan on doing everything I can on my own. We shall see how long this goes :lol:

Godson
March 30th, 2015, 04:49 PM
I received my ln engineering ims bearing removal tools today. I plan on renting them out to subvert the cost after a while.

novicius
April 7th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Update?

Random
April 7th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Ford V8 swap?

thesameguy
April 7th, 2015, 03:19 PM
I'd like to see someone install an inline six.

Random
April 7th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Ford 300? :up:

thesameguy
April 7th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Now we're talking! Or maybe a Cummins 6BT for grins.

TheBenior
April 7th, 2015, 04:40 PM
I'd lean towards a VW U 1584cc OHV H4 myself.

neanderthal
April 7th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Why not one of those air cooled monsters from some of the big rigs.
Duetz F8L413F anyone?

Godson
April 7th, 2015, 06:58 PM

Just trying to amass some more parts first. I don't like doing small jobs over and over again (this joke never gets old). I'd rather just drop the engine out, knock out a shit ton of work in a day, and call it good.

I also want to crawl around underneath to figure out where a leak is coming from, I think one of the aluminum crush washers is seeping for one of the timing chain tensioners. Another common area for a vehicle that hadn't been driven that much in a while. I am hoping to crawl around underneath of it this weekend.

Godson
April 9th, 2015, 07:07 AM
So it is raining off and on here the last few days. What do I do? I hand wash my car...in the rain, because I don't give a shit.

Honestly though, I just wanted to get the brake dust off the wheels and the paint.

Going to do some things around the house today instead of working on the car any further. Saturday will hopefully be productive enough for me to get some stuff diagnosed on the car and figure out what my plan of attack is.

novicius
April 9th, 2015, 07:18 AM
Very cool -- don't hit any deer or road furniture with this one, ok? Drive what you see, don't overdrive your headlights, yadda yadda yadda. :D :up:

Godson
April 9th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Very cool -- don't hit any deer or road furniture with this one, ok? Drive what you see, don't overdrive your headlights, yadda yadda yadda. :D :up:

Eat a dick. :lol:

neanderthal
April 10th, 2015, 10:32 PM
Eat a dick. :lol:

You know you can send him a bag (http://dicksbymail.com/) of them, right?

Godson
April 11th, 2015, 01:59 PM
You know you can send him a bag (http://dicksbymail.com/) of them, right?

Oh fuck, and yes. I soooooo needed that link.

In other news, I am going to be getting a tire trailer for this little guy. I'd prefer something that could also fit the monster on it as well, but I wouldn't be against 2 trailers. Thoughts and ideas?

Kchrpm
April 11th, 2015, 07:15 PM
Towing a motorcycle with a 911. Baller status :up:

Yw-slayer
April 12th, 2015, 12:51 AM
I agree with Keith.

speedpimp
April 12th, 2015, 03:21 AM
Here we go again...

Godson
April 15th, 2015, 09:30 PM
Finally got some free time to crawl around underneath it again. I was able to chase out the engine oil leak to the valve cover gaskets on both cylinder banks. Also signs of the AOS failing by an oil pressure bleed valve showing signs of releasing oil onto a radiator hose. Now the fun part.

I cannot keep the lowering springs on this vehicle. My driveway appears to be a touch to steep for this car in its lowered condition to safely traverse the incline.

Exhibit A

1170 1171

:angry:

Bolt appears to be broken off flush with the engine casing. So I get to add an oil pan to the parts list... (used looks like ~100USD) along with stock springs... And the entertainment of trying an EZ out on what is left on that bolt. :angry:

I might be doing some of the work this weekend. We shall see.

Rikadyn
April 15th, 2015, 10:17 PM
time to roll on airbags?

GB
April 15th, 2015, 11:18 PM
I am going to be getting a tire trailer for this little guy.
My friend's track-day setup:
http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1174&stc=1
http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1173&stc=1

Godson
April 23rd, 2015, 08:36 PM
So, last week I could find oil pans for 80 USD with shipping on ebay all over the place. Now they are 180+.

:mad:

thesameguy
April 23rd, 2015, 09:24 PM
I had the exact same experience with the V70. Held off buying because they were $60 all the time, suddenly they were $100, and I decided to junkyard one. There were two Volvos in the yard that had been massacred leaving oil pans easy to get to, so I grabbed the one I needed and a spare to ebay. They set me back $25ea, and by the time I got back to the computer they were all over ebay for $40! Grrr is right. I still have that fucker in the garage.

Godson
April 23rd, 2015, 09:30 PM
I do another more generalized search on ebay and find them for 65 and free shipping.

I double check autoatlanta for the part numbers between the 996, boxster, and cayman. And guess what, they are all the same. Part ordered. I should probably get another bolt too now that I think about it...

Yw-slayer
April 23rd, 2015, 10:53 PM
You had a V70??!!

thesameguy
April 27th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Um, yeah? Like three years ago or something.

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org/misc/98v702_2.JPG

Edit: Yep, sold it 9/12

Yw-slayer
April 27th, 2015, 06:25 PM
Oh, yeah. Sweet ride.

thesameguy
April 28th, 2015, 03:19 PM
I really liked it. I've been casually looking for a next-generation V70 with a manual to mess around with, but haven't been all that committed to the search yet. :)

Rikadyn
May 4th, 2015, 06:38 AM
I cannot keep the lowering springs on this vehicle. My driveway appears to be a touch to steep for this car in its lowered condition to safely traverse the incline.

I have found a solution!

https://41.media.tumblr.com/76846c538431f5e634ddfc5f280749fd/tumblr_nlkl4ztt1V1qfyfgno3_1280.jpg

Yw-slayer
May 4th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Flatten the driveway.

Godson
May 4th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Flatten the driveway.

or buy a different vehicle...........

Rikadyn
May 5th, 2015, 05:24 AM
or Rallycar

Yw-slayer
May 5th, 2015, 05:59 AM
Screw the driveway.

Rikadyn
May 5th, 2015, 06:01 AM
Screw the driveway.

that's illegal in most states

Yw-slayer
May 5th, 2015, 06:19 AM
Do it. LIKE A MAN.

Godson
May 5th, 2015, 06:31 AM
I have little kids next door. That'd be a poor life choice...

Yw-slayer
May 5th, 2015, 07:42 AM
Make sure no-one can see you when you do it. LIKE A MAN.

Also, pics or it didn't happen.

novicius
May 5th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Yeah if your lifestyle is bashing the utter shite out of your toy then it's time to probably cut bait and pick something else -- do you like 4x4s?

Godson
May 5th, 2015, 11:40 AM
It only happened once, and that happened only because of the lowering springs. If it was stock height, nothing would ave happened.

Godson
May 10th, 2015, 12:25 AM
engine is out of the car. some of the work needed has been completed today, still a long way to go. A couple of things broke during disassembly.

5 of 6 exhaust manifold studs on the drivers side. All stuck in the head. Manifold removal is required to access valve covers. tried an easy out on the first bolt, and the bolt broke. I have no idea on what I am going to do. I'll take some photos of what I am talking about when I get the engine back into the car since access with the engine on the ground is not good.

Vacuum line the goes from one cylinder head to the other. Cylinders number 3 and 4. Design looks almost exactly like the air bypass lines on the BMWs. Connectors are shit plastic that hardens over time and when you look at it wrong it explodes.

A vacuum line that attaches under the cylinder bank 1-3 intake manifold.

I need at least one ignition coil boot as cylinder number 3 was completely destroyed and had oil contaminating the spark plug hole.

I think that concludes most of the broken items. I have a slow to crank when hot issue that appears to be a common problem on the 996. The fix is usually a new starter wire cable due to corrosion. Mine has zero signs of any mentionable corrosion anywhere. That leads me to a starter which is 300+.... Question is, I have super easy access to remove and replace the starter, do I do it now, or just deal with the hot start problem?

Yw-slayer
May 10th, 2015, 03:19 AM
Jeez, you guys with your mechanical skills and time tonwork on stuff.

JoshInKC
May 10th, 2015, 04:04 AM
Regarding the starter: 1.) How much is the new battery-starter cable? I've seen a few cables where they looked fine on the outside, but had trouble passing current because some nearly invisible flaw in the jacket allowed water/air/corrosion in. Maybe stick a multimeter on it to check the resistance?
2.) How hard is it to change the starter with it in the car?
I'm all for pre-emptively replacing parts, but $300 for a slow starter seems like too much $ for me not to look for other cheaper possibilities.
Alternately, are starter rebuild kits a thing for porches?

novicius
May 10th, 2015, 05:47 AM
A couple of things broke during disassembly.
Ooo ouch!

Good luck!!

Godson
May 10th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Regarding the starter: 1.) How much is the new battery-starter cable? I've seen a few cables where they looked fine on the outside, but had trouble passing current because some nearly invisible flaw in the jacket allowed water/air/corrosion in. Maybe stick a multimeter on it to check the resistance?
2.) How hard is it to change the starter with it in the car?
I'm all for pre-emptively replacing parts, but $300 for a slow starter seems like too much $ for me not to look for other cheaper possibilities.
Alternately, are starter rebuild kits a thing for porches?

Yeah, I was going to run a resistance test on it to see what the deal was. starter is directly under the intake manifolds behind the passenger seats where the transaxle bolts to the starter.

Seems it isn't too bar to do in car. http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-996-997-Carrera/83-ELEC-Starter/83-ELEC-Starter.htm I'll so the resistance checks and what not. Battery is relatively new, I'll get it tested and what not.

Do a quick search on line and found some for 150. Still going to do some testing though. I might just replace the wire and the starter just out of spite. The car is 16 years old after all.

Godson
May 10th, 2015, 02:15 PM
It seems the correct answer lies here. :(

http://www.stomskiracing.com/products/boxster-996-997-exhaust-bolt-repair-kit

My response to the broken bolts lies here.

http://arp-bolts.com/kits/Bulk.php?PL=89&M=*&W=*&D=7&P=14&WS=12

speedpimp
May 10th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Except in Texas, where it is legal, but if you impregnate the driveway getting an abortion for it is illegal.

Godson
May 10th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Except in Texas, where it is legal, but if you impregnate the driveway getting an abortion for it is illegal.

What are you rambling about?

Yw-slayer
May 10th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Banging the driveway, duh.

Rikadyn
May 10th, 2015, 11:36 PM
Engine on the ground...how come you don't own an engine stand at this point?

Sad, little man
May 11th, 2015, 07:58 AM
They seriously make fancy expensive anodized kits just to help you drill all of the broken bolts out of your engine!? What a nightmare. I'm officially never touching a Porsche with a ten foot breaker bar.

thesameguy
May 11th, 2015, 09:12 AM
All cars break exhaust manifold studs. The idea of a $342 kit that saves having to pull a head and take it to a machine shop sounds like a lot of win.

Does rennlist or whatever have a tool exchange program? A lot of forums I've been involved with have something like that, so members with specialty tools that don't get used often can share them with others. I've shared seal pullers and control arm relocation jigs that way. Everyone wins. Maybe someone has this kit and already got their use out of it?

Godson
May 11th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Engine on the ground...how come you don't own an engine stand at this point?

Engine stand to hold these engines are expensive as hell. I have a regular one, but am timid without the spider design for safety.

I was lucky enough to source the jig locally, shop will rent bit to me and is 7 minutes from my house!

CudaMan
May 11th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Ouch... from someone who has done 5 header swaps now and not broken a single stud (knock on wood a bunch).

Best of luck with getting the new toy back together right!

Godson
May 11th, 2015, 08:21 PM
So after the shit show I had between work today and trying to fill up my loaner with gas (debit card was cancelled with money in the bank :x) I didn't make it to the car until 9pm tonight. All I did was clean up more of my oil spill from forgetting to drain the oil until well....I pulled the valve cover off the engine on saturday. (Yup, I'm that guy). It answered an interesting question I had. I have always wondered what 6 quarts of oil on the ground looks like. Now I know.

I found my torx socket set, so I only removed the flywheel to find the RMS was leaking. Big fucking surprise said no one ever. I located the broken vacuum line. A 4.0mm OD x 1.0 ID and 150mm long hard plastic line. Should be easy to source.

Tomorrow I will go from work directly over to the car to do the valve cover sealing, secondary oil pump seals, check the secondary timing chain guides for wear, variocam solenoids, replace RMS, and hopefully replace IMS.

I hope to have the rest of the pieces to put the engine back together on Thursday to slave away all day and hopefully have it back in the car on Thursday. It'll be tough but I think I can do it.

thesameguy
May 11th, 2015, 08:28 PM
Seems like a lot of details but nothing overwhelming. We're rootin' for you!

Godson
May 12th, 2015, 05:57 AM
That's pretty much the deal. Lotsa little stuff nothing more complex than a late model mod motor honestly.

Godson
May 13th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Replaced the RMS, the hard way and then finding out afterwords there is a neat little doodad that they supply to install it with. Whatever. I used Permetex Form-a-Gasket 3 on the outer half after cleaning all the old oil and such off of it. Here is to hoping that will help seal it better. I have used this stuff before and it seems to do a damned good job on sealing without a huge mess.

I also took the drivers side cams off last night (bank 1-3), the vario cam chain guides were worn (pretty common issue on these), got them swapped over, lifters wiped down, soak in clean oil, and re-pumped with clean oil only to find out zi didn't have access to torque specs anywhere for the vario cam tower, the exhaust cam sprocket, or the cam journals. So I am again at a holding pattern.

thesameguy
May 13th, 2015, 10:09 PM
It's a Porsche right? So German-spec? Gutentite?

Godson
May 13th, 2015, 10:18 PM
I wish. I don't honestly want to fuck with that. I find it funny that on BMW, I can get torque specs at the drop of a hat. Porsche, everyone has the manual and nobody talks about it. It is weird and very frustrating.

thesameguy
May 13th, 2015, 10:19 PM
Can you not buy one? On a car like a 911, I'd want as much factory documentation as possible.

Sad, little man
May 14th, 2015, 05:22 AM
Just reading this thread is giving me automotive repair PTSD, something normally reserved for only the most complex and frustrating Miata powertain modifications, such as placing a turbo in a place it wasn't designed to fit, or drilling out holes in a Lotus rear subframe by hand.

Godson
May 14th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Can you not buy one? On a car like a 911, I'd want as much factory documentation as possible.

Only one offered is the bentley manual. I don't have access to it due to my current debit card being marked as fraudulent from some fucker trying to run it in Florida. Hence I can't buy one from on-line. I have access on all-data thanks to friends, but the information they offer is confusing at best.

thesameguy
May 14th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't trust alldata anyway. Often it's right, but when it's wrong it can be really wrong.

Have you considered something like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-911-CARRERA-996-1998-2005-FACTORY-SERVICE-REPAIR-WORKSHOP-MANUAL-/111659609017?hash=item19ff6e6bb9&vxp=mtr

These things generally aren't great, but might have what you need.

ZOMG! I just looked at the Bentley manual. I thought the Audi's manual was pricey, but $150? Jeebus.

Godson
May 14th, 2015, 03:32 PM
I just netted the factory manual online in PDF form. Only took me 8 hours of searching. It has exactly what I wanted. First things first. I am d/ling the cam timing info.

After that, the world.

Godson
May 15th, 2015, 10:50 PM
Drivers side (cyl 1-3) camshaft cover has been cleaned, and reinstalled. Cams were cleaned, re-lubricated, secondary timing chain guide pads replaced, and cams were re-installed and timed. timing re-checked on cyl 1-3 and checked out good.

New spark plugs, plug tubes, and spark plug connectors were installed. Coils reinstalled, coil cover, and muffler mounting bracket re-installed. Hope to get to the cyl 4-6 side tomorrow afternoon following my Novice Autocross school instruction, and between a birthday party for a friend. I doubt I'll get to the car until sunday :(

Godson
May 17th, 2015, 12:11 AM
I skipped on the autocross, and the birthday party didn't happen. I still didn't get out of bed until 2pm. I am guessing that is from the stress at work and pulling a late night last night. Whatevs.

Passenger side ( cyl 4-6) camshaft cover has been cleaned and re-installed. Cams were cleaned, lubed, secondary timing chain guide pads replaced as this side had some plastic missing on it, cams were re-installed and timed. Timing re-checked on 4-6 and all checked out good.

New spark plugs, plug tubes, and spark plug connectors were installed. Coils on this side have the outer-most plast cracking, but the coil is unaffected. Coils, coil cover, and muffler mounting bracket reinstalled.

Starter motor wiring cleaned, de-corrossed (is that even a word), inspected, and reinstalled.

Air oil seperator vacuum line that broke was replaced in the factory location, and it looks damned good to!

Upper intake plenum removed from 4-6 bank, new gaskets installed, manifold cleaned, threads chased to clean out threadlocker previously used, and reinstalled. Same was done for bank 1-3. I then installed the rear intake runner between the intake plenum halves. Installed the vacuum lines to it.

All that I have left to do on the engine side of things is the thermostat and replace the IMS bearing.

Once that is done, I can reinstall the engine and everything else, so I can then drill out the old and broken exhaust manifold studs in the drivers side (cyl 1-3) head. I don't think I can find any ARP exhaust manifold studs at a parts store, but I might just get lucky tomorrow.

The are like M8 x 1.25 x 25mm. I know the LS1 uses a similar size, but I want them in my hand before I make the decision. I could just go to the hardware store and get some 10.9 ers and be done with it too....thoughts?

samoht
May 17th, 2015, 12:34 AM
I'm enjoying following this thread, hope it all comes back together smoothly and you get to enjoy driving it.

JoshInKC
May 17th, 2015, 04:08 AM
Yeah, it's nice that you have something that seems to be going relatively to plan. Aside from the broken exhaust studs or whatever - On most of your previous vehicles, it seems like it would have caught fire or something like that before now.

Godson
May 17th, 2015, 09:42 PM
I am just taking my time. Not trying to get worked up over my timeframe being completely off schedule. Whatevs. I am enjoying the wrenching on it. way more than I did on any BMW I have wrenched on.

Today the engine was put back in the car along with the LN engineering IMS bearing. The engine being put in was my only task I set for myself. :D

I connected the fuel and power steering lines back up to the car, installed the flywheel, clutch disc, and pressure plate, and some miscellaneous vacuum lines.

I still need to install the transmission. As of right now, 2 of the 3 engine mounts are in and torqued to spec, I hope to get the transmission in tomorrow along with beginning the exhaust stud drill out process. Tuesday would be only to tidy up the last little bits of things and check for leaks if all goes to plan. I still need to do the thermostat...and wiper blades. :D

I need to figure out what I am going to do for the exhaust manifold bolts. Stock size is an M 8 x 28. I can get M 8 x 30 from ARP, and throw a washer on each one, which should just about be the length I need while eliminating the shit factory part.

novicius
May 18th, 2015, 01:06 AM
:up: :up:

It's hard to imagine anything on a Porsche engine qualifying as "shit". :lol:

Godson
May 18th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Yeah well, the exhaust fasteners are worse than shit.

thesameguy
May 18th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Well, it is a hi-po engine and they are 15 years old... I wouldn't expect any fastener to hold up to that for that long.

speedpimp
May 18th, 2015, 03:10 PM
What are you rambling about?

YW said something about screw your driveway or some shit a few pages back. Quoting always adds some context.

Godson
May 18th, 2015, 10:16 PM
I FUCKING HATE BROKEN BOLTS.

thesameguy
May 19th, 2015, 09:46 AM
PB Blaster is your friend. Like Boobs. Never too much.

Godson
May 19th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Didn't do a god damned thing.

I am drilling out the old bolts and tapping out the old threads. Fuck this

thesameguy
May 19th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Nope.

Godson
May 23rd, 2015, 12:11 PM
2 of the 5 exhaust studs are completely drilled and tapped out. One is drilled and partially tapped. One I have no idea on how to reach it. The engine identification number is directly in the way of getting the chuck of the drill in a straight manner. Anyone have any ideas? I have thought of long drill bits, but they are pricey and Special order. All of the drill bit extensions are quick connect that I can find. This is literally the only thing I *think* that is holding me up.

thesameguy
May 23rd, 2015, 12:37 PM
Grind off the casting number? Try an air drill? Sometimes they are physically smaller.

Godson
May 23rd, 2015, 07:41 PM
I bouggt an air drill. Going to try it tomorrow to see if itt will work. If not I'll be doing some grinding. Know on wood the car will be drivin on Monday.

thesameguy
May 23rd, 2015, 08:26 PM
Mine has saved me more than once!

Godson
May 24th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Tap just broke off inside the head. FML.

KillerB
May 24th, 2015, 02:59 PM
The lesson here, I think, is that there are legitimate reasons that 996s are cheap.

Godson
May 24th, 2015, 06:25 PM
Once I stopped freaking out I remembered taps are made from high speed steel. What that means is the metal is very hard and will fracture easily. A few taps with a punch and a 1lb ball peen, and it had desegregated leaving the threads in good condition.

All bolts have now been drilled out. Holes have all been successfully tapped to original depth. I can now finish up the transmission, exhaust, and coolant system installs.

I can see the light.

Godson
May 24th, 2015, 09:35 PM
Thermostat is now installed.

I need to do the coolant lines next, followed by the transmission. Tomorrow should be the day.

Yw-slayer
May 24th, 2015, 10:59 PM
Frankly speaking, I'd just throw money at the problem.

Godson
May 25th, 2015, 03:28 AM
That's pretty much what I am doing. Just in another fashion. Lol. :(

thesameguy
May 25th, 2015, 08:58 AM
The lesson here, I think, is that there are legitimate reasons that 996s are cheap.

Any 15 year old car with similar use is going to fare this way. The only things that really bring the 996s down are the IMS and the styling. Everything else is just typical old car problems - it's not like any Porsche is immune to them. I just looked at an '05 C4S with a coworker and you should see the stack of receipts the owner has on it - it's obscene. I mean, the dollar amount is obscene of course ($labor$) but is the volume that's really upsetting. No ten year old car should be making 5-6 trips to the shop annually.

I'm not a big 996 fan but I approve of this work. Buy it cheap, put in several weeks of hard work, and enjoy it for years without further incident. That's taking advantage of a market *and* building something with your own two hands. :up:

Godson
May 25th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Yeah. Gm lsx engines are notorious for breaking exhaust manifold studs off from just driving around

Godson
May 25th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Manifolds, exhaust, and remaining coolant lines ( minus two ) are all installed.

Transmission is back in car with a few bolts in place, nothing torqued on the transmission. That was a bigger pain in the ass than the engine. That fucker weighs almost as much as I do, and manning the floor jack while trying to have it lift evenly was not fun. Especially considering it didn't want to stay on the jack no matter what I did.

I will say this now. If the car isn't idleing on its own tomorrow, I'll be dumbfounded and shocked.

samoht
May 25th, 2015, 10:51 PM
I'm really impressed with how deep you're getting into the drivetrain yourself, good skills!

look forward to hearing about you being able to drive and enjoy it once everything's back together

Phil_SS
May 27th, 2015, 08:49 AM
^^^^^What he said.

Godson
May 28th, 2015, 04:23 PM
I started it up tonight after the transmission was installed. Only to have the cam timing jump. No idea how it did. But I am fairly certain it is off a tooth on the 4-6 side.

Needless to say, I am dropping it off at the shop that loaned me the exhaust manifold jig.

This fucking sucks.

thesameguy
May 28th, 2015, 10:01 PM
Sorry dude. I am sure it's an interference motor, but a tooth probably won't kill you. Did you replace the tensioners?

Godson
May 28th, 2015, 11:09 PM
Tensioners were the originals. I am just hoping it is something simple and I'm not out 10k I don't have.

I'm pissed at myself for buying this car, and even more frustrated that I attempted to do this. I knew I wasn't in a position financially but I had to gamble. I can't sleep now between this and my grandfather.

I have never felt this defeated before. I don't know what I missed during the process. I checked timing and everything over and over.

I'm almost to the point of writing off wrenching permanently.

Godson
May 29th, 2015, 12:33 AM
The more I think about this, the more I think it is related to my attempt to do the IMS bearing. I think the cam timing might have changed when I pulled the bearing out. I honestly won't know until I get it dropped off at the shop. I'm over it.

21Kid
May 29th, 2015, 06:41 AM
Buy it cheap, put in several weeks of hard work, and enjoy it for years without further incident. That's taking advantage of a market *and* building something with your own two hands. :up:
That's pretty much your M.O. ;)

thesameguy
May 29th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Hells yeah it is!

And seriously, I've been in the totally defeated position before and been every bit as obsessed. You'll get through it. Maybe you just gotta park the 911 for a while til you have the time & resources to return to it. Ain't no big thing. Don't turn it into a job or it'll ruin you. :)

Let us know what the shop says - I'm sure they'll be able to get a handle on the problem quickly.

novicius
May 29th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Maybe you just gotta park the 911 for a while til you have the time & resources to return to it. Ain't no big thing.
Yup, this: park it if you have to while you grind up cash over winter. :up: :up:

Godson
May 29th, 2015, 02:40 PM
I can see this being one of those cars that I own later in life as "the car I couldn't afford to get ride of.". In a totally positive way though.

novicius
May 29th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Definitely -- it won't be lost money as long as you keep it.

Rikadyn
June 2nd, 2015, 12:19 AM
I don't understand the mechanical problem (i understand the funding problem, why you think my 240sx hasn't been made to work in 9yrs...)

Godson
June 2nd, 2015, 04:00 PM
Interference engine + timing off = likely valve to piston contact.

Valve to piston contact on m96 (engine designation) + complex and frail enginr design = possibly totalled engine.

thesameguy
June 2nd, 2015, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't say likely. It depends on how far off the timing was. Saabs are interference engines and I've *definitely* run one with either or both cams off a tooth or two without damage. I'd still have plenty of hope unless you have knowledge that the timing was WAY off. And frankly I doubt it was if it ran at all.

Any word from the bozos with your car?

novicius
June 2nd, 2015, 06:58 PM
There is always room for some HRE 840R's on the credit card.

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo81/wheelsboutique/997_6.jpg
I read this in a book somewhere. She was a wise woman.

Godson
June 2nd, 2015, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't say likely. It depends on how far off the timing was. Saabs are interference engines and I've *definitely* run one with either or both cams off a tooth or two without damage. I'd still have plenty of hope unless you have knowledge that the timing was WAY off. And frankly I doubt it was if it ran at all.

Any word from the bozos with your car?

I sure as hell hope so. But with 11.3 : 1 compression ratio, I'm expecting the worst.

Car will be dropped off on thursday June 11th.

Godson
June 2nd, 2015, 07:22 PM
I read this in a book somewhere. She was a wise woman.

That's hot

Godson
June 8th, 2015, 11:21 PM
I'll be putting the axles, wheels, and subframes back in tonight to have it towed tomorrow.

Part of me wants to keep this car. The other, never wants to deal with it again. After this weekend I have thought long and hard about selling this thing and accepting my lesson, and buying another motorcycle. I'll get my damage verdict on Thursday, from there I will sot and think about my choices.

thesameguy
June 11th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Good call. No point counting chickens until they're hatched. I'm betting everything is kosher and something just needs to be hammered back into place.

Best of luck!

Random
June 11th, 2015, 10:27 AM
I'm betting everything is kosher and something just needs to be hammered back into place.

With a $495 Porsche part number "SST" ISO9000 hammer. ;)

CudaMan
June 11th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Hoping for the best! You deserve a break.

Phil_SS
June 11th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Hoping for the best! You deserve a bend.

Totally agree.

Godson
June 11th, 2015, 09:41 PM
The cams on bank 4-6 were 180* off time. The information that I followed was confirmed to be incorrect.

Technician re-timed the cams, and all is well. No damage. I had the car towed to the technician with a decent amount of stuff not on the car; a couple of chassis braces, heat shielding, bumper, underbody plastic panels.

So after I payed the shop, I ran over to grab the needed things to have the car able to drive for the tiny things like bumper covers, etc. I did a driving assembly in the parking lot of the shop, drove the car to where all the work was done by me, and finished everything else up.

Car seems to be in good order now. Now I can breathe.

CudaMan
June 11th, 2015, 11:23 PM
Victory!

TheBenior
June 11th, 2015, 11:49 PM
Huzzah!

Kchrpm
June 12th, 2015, 02:46 AM
Giggity :up:

novicius
June 12th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Winning!! :up: :up:

Random
June 12th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Celebratory burnout!

thesameguy
June 12th, 2015, 09:33 AM
I TOLD YOU!

Congrats, huge burden totally evaporated!

samoht
June 12th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Awesome, really glad to hear the good news.

Godson
June 12th, 2015, 03:37 PM
I TOLD YOU!

Congrats, huge burden totally evaporated!

That you did.

I also put on my brand new wiper blades. Time for the car to get washed.

thesameguy
June 12th, 2015, 03:46 PM
DO NOT wash the car. That is the universal signal to the automotive gods that you feel there is nothing further to do on the car, and they will break something for your arrogance. Best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Godson
June 12th, 2015, 04:04 PM

I'd say somebody is superstitious.

neanderthal
June 12th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Huzzah!

Godson
June 14th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Annnnnd I just hit a pothole that I *hope* only knocked the alignment out...

thesameguy
June 14th, 2015, 08:42 PM
I would recommend avoiding those.

Godson
June 14th, 2015, 08:55 PM
Shit circumstances. It has done nothing but rain the last month (record of clouds and/or rain for 27 days of May) It flat poured earlier today. The pothole I hit was essentially the top layer of the asphalt ripped up, and completely filled with water. Wet road surface hid it entirely.

I just hope the wheels aren't bent.

Yw-slayer
June 14th, 2015, 09:26 PM
But if they are, you can buy a new set!

Rikadyn
June 14th, 2015, 11:23 PM
throw some dubs on that hoe

JoshInKC
June 15th, 2015, 03:06 AM
Shit circumstances. It has done nothing but rain the last month (record of clouds and/or rain for 27 days of May) It flat poured earlier today. The pothole I hit was essentially the top layer of the asphalt ripped up, and completely filled with water. Wet road surface hid it entirely.

Can Confirm. I hadn't previously realized that regular old rain had negative effects on road surfaces, but it seems that potholes in the KC area have been growing and multiplying at an exponential rate over the past month or so.

thesameguy
June 15th, 2015, 04:58 AM
This has nothing to do with rain or potholes. It has everything to do with ordering a stereo.

Random
June 15th, 2015, 07:59 AM
...and Tyler being cursed.

Just sayin'.

Rikadyn
June 15th, 2015, 08:03 AM
well if he hadn't washed it, it wouldn't of rained...

thesameguy
June 15th, 2015, 08:38 AM
Double whammy. It was inevitable.

Godson
June 15th, 2015, 12:39 PM
I DIDNT WASH IT!!!!!! :X

Jason
June 15th, 2015, 03:28 PM
Time for the car to get washed.

DO NOT wash the car. That is the universal signal to the automotive gods that you feel there is nothing further to do on the car, and they will break something for your arrogance. Best to let sleeping dogs lie.

I'd say somebody is superstitious.

Annnnnd I just hit a pothole that I *hope* only knocked the alignment out...

Godson
June 15th, 2015, 07:14 PM

I DIDNT WASH IT!!!!!! :X

Rikadyn
June 16th, 2015, 05:24 AM
but you wanted to, and we all know that summons rain storms

Godson
June 16th, 2015, 05:57 AM
Touché

novicius
June 16th, 2015, 08:45 AM
So how are the rims looking (visually)?

Godson
June 16th, 2015, 10:01 AM
From what I can tell, fine. They are a forged wheel and I didn't hit hard enough to bubble the tire and there isn't any new sensations.

Car is getting aligned on thursday and I'll have the tech look over it then.

novicius
June 16th, 2015, 10:20 AM
If you can't see anything and they hold air then consider them fine, IMO.

Godson
June 16th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Tires are shot anyways. I was going to put a set of cheap summers on them for now, buy some wheels for winter, winter tires, then terrorize the streets with my car.

Godson
June 16th, 2015, 01:24 PM
...One pot hole at a time

thesameguy
June 16th, 2015, 02:29 PM
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads6/pelican+steelies1131337955.jpg

Godson
June 16th, 2015, 03:45 PM
I don't think those will clear the brakes.

Godson
June 18th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Head unit and install kit arrived today.

I'm hoping to install it this weekend. Helping a buddy move on Saturday and I have a going away party for a coworker in the evening. So who knows.

Godson
June 20th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Washed the car today, rain-x applied, tomorrow will be the head unit.

thesameguy
June 20th, 2015, 07:53 PM

CudaMan
June 20th, 2015, 11:42 PM

GB
June 20th, 2015, 11:55 PM
1 and a half....

Godson
June 21st, 2015, 12:32 PM
My installation kit is missing a wiring adapter....

neanderthal
June 21st, 2015, 08:38 PM
That's the gods talking to you.

Um, ... one.

Godson
June 29th, 2015, 08:24 AM
CEL, misfire at idle.

I'll diag that today...

thesameguy
June 29th, 2015, 08:34 AM
One week delayed reaction. Weird.

Random
June 29th, 2015, 08:35 AM
One week delayed reaction. Weird.

It was a busy week of smiting...they had a backlog.

Godson
June 29th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Apparently...

Godson
June 29th, 2015, 11:11 AM
P1524

Could be a variocam solenoid. We shall see if it appears again. I'd need to pull the cam cover off again and reseal it. I believe it is a 6hour job. But after being in there, I should be able to do it in under 3.

thesameguy
June 29th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Maybe just a bad connection or something gumming up the works? Since you were just in there...

Godson
June 29th, 2015, 03:56 PM
The solenoids are known to fail.

Just to tempt it, I fully washed and vacuumed the car. Bring it on bitch!

Jason
June 29th, 2015, 04:18 PM
:lol::up:

Godson
June 29th, 2015, 04:35 PM
The solenoids are known to fail.

Just to tempt it, I fully washed and vacuumed the car. Bring it on bitch!

And I finally picked up my personalized plate that I ordered over 2 months ago...

Godson
July 8th, 2015, 06:23 PM
Cel light has come back, cleared it one more time. Came back on for a third time, then it cleared itself. Then promptly came back on.

Looks like I get to diagnose that.

Godson
July 8th, 2015, 07:14 PM
And back off...

TheBenior
July 8th, 2015, 07:16 PM
Cel light has come back, cleared it one more time. Came back on for a third time, then it cleared itself. Then promptly came back on.

Looks like I get to diagnose that.

And back off...

Ah, German car ownership ;)

Godson
July 8th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Pretty much. Should have a pending code I can work with.

Random
July 8th, 2015, 07:36 PM
And I finally picked up my personalized plate that I ordered over 2 months ago...

HLLONRS

:D

thesameguy
July 8th, 2015, 08:57 PM
RUNGATM?

Godson
July 9th, 2015, 03:39 AM
DNTLFT

Kchrpm
July 9th, 2015, 04:05 AM
HLLONRS

:D

RUNGATM?

I don't get either :(

Godson
July 9th, 2015, 06:44 AM
Tsg's is "rung ATM". Or to be spent or stretched out.

Kchrpm
July 9th, 2015, 07:47 AM
Oooooh :-/

thesameguy
July 9th, 2015, 08:36 AM
Actually, it was the best I could do with "running at the moment."

SICK BURN!

Kchrpm
July 9th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Russ has informed me that HLLONRS is Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo Nurse, perhaps with not that many o's.

I would say CALLICE. You know, because in case of emergency you call 911.........

thesameguy
July 9th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Like!

Godson
July 9th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Russ has informed me that HLLONRS is Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo Nurse, perhaps with not that many o's.

I would say CALLICE. You know, because in case of emergency you call 911.........

I like that one. Perhaps on renewal I'll switch.

Phil_SS
July 9th, 2015, 10:54 AM
How about:

ISAJOKE

Kchrpm
July 9th, 2015, 11:13 AM
:up:

novicius
July 11th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Now that you have the Porka working, time to sell it and start looking for a Craigslist Ferrari F355. ;)

Godson
July 11th, 2015, 04:46 PM
Lol. A few years back I was researching the hell out of those. Prices for them got into the low 40s. I even downloaded the factory manual for them and the testarossa. Researched and thought about it. They were everywhere and now they aren't.

I still wouldn't be against it, but the ROI if I was doing the maintenance would be nill.

KillerB
July 11th, 2015, 04:59 PM
From what little looking I've done, apparently the 360 is much easier to maintain - no need for engine out services like the 355.

Godson
July 11th, 2015, 05:03 PM
Yeah, but the price difference is HUGE! 40k for a f355 vs 75k for the 360. I also like the 355 over the 360

KillerB
July 11th, 2015, 05:11 PM
I'm seeing very few F355s under $65k. (http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Ferrari/F355/Costa+Mesa+CA-92627?endYear=2016&makeCode1=FER&mmt=%5BFER%5BF355%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=F355&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=0&showcaseOwnerId=0&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=1981&Log=0)

I prefer the 355, too, in all fairness.

thesameguy
July 11th, 2015, 06:28 PM
You could always buy a 348 budget Ferrari! They ain't so bad, a reasonable way to get your feet wet. :)

Yw-slayer
July 11th, 2015, 06:33 PM
355s are good, but actually feel pretty slow now.

Godson
July 11th, 2015, 06:35 PM
Yeah, thats what i am talking about KB. There were 4-5 under 50k any given week 2 years ago. Now all you see are basket cases.

Yw, When 400hp *feels* slow....

thesameguy
July 11th, 2015, 07:21 PM
IME, it never does. It just never does.

Godson
July 11th, 2015, 07:30 PM
IME, it never does. It just never does.

Exactly.

Yw-slayer
July 12th, 2015, 12:44 AM
I just didn't feel it was as fast as I thought it would be. Granted, maybe we weren't in the right gear (I wasn't driving).

thesameguy
July 12th, 2015, 08:38 AM
Can't speak for you, but every 400hp car I've ever been in feels quite rapid compared to 300hp plebian cars. When you get into the 500+hp cars nothing makes any sense - especially the part where you need to be going well in excess of 100mph to feel the difference.

Kchrpm
July 12th, 2015, 12:01 PM
If you've driven one of the 600 hp turbocharged supercars of late, like YW has I believe, I can see a naturally aspirated 400 hp car, being driven a gear or two too high, feeling "slow".

Random
July 12th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Yeah, tsg's CTS-V wasn't fast...at 45mph in 6th. :lol: It woke up a bit a few gears lower. ;)

thesameguy
July 12th, 2015, 03:37 PM
It was adequate to be sure.

Yw-slayer
July 12th, 2015, 07:23 PM
But I sat in the 355 about a year or so before I drove the MP4-12C. I think we weren't in the right gear for flooring it, and the road had a positive gradient. Of course I understand that flooring an N/A car in the wrong gear on the wrong road won't help (see BRZ).

The MP4 I let loose on a road which was similar to that on which I sat in the 355 and was blindingly quick. The Model S P85+ that I test-drove (being the last and most powerful car I drove) felt about the same as the MP4-12C but also certainly felt much faster than the 355, even though that was on a flat, level road. The RS4 and S6 were very fast, but didn't have the punch that the other two did (although I preferred the S6). Both felt like they were as fast as the 355, but then again, both of them were being driven on entirely different roads from the 355.

So I think the conclusion is that I need to do the AMG Driving Experience. USD700 for a whole day of instruction and the ability to drive any AMG car I want? Win.

21Kid
July 13th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Lol. A few years back I was researching the hell out of those. Prices for them got into the low 40s. I even downloaded the factory manual for them and the testarossa. Researched and thought about it. They were everywhere and now they aren't.

I still wouldn't be against it, but the ROI if I was doing the maintenance would be nill.

That wouldn't really be why you'd get one, would it? :erm:

Phil_SS
July 13th, 2015, 10:21 AM
If someone offered me a F355 for free, but said I couldn't sell it. I wouldn't take it. The service on them is completely ridiculous and expensive.

Now let's get back to the topic at hand.....So how is it Tyler? Those of us that may jump into the 996 pool would like to know.

Godson
July 13th, 2015, 07:10 PM
That wouldn't really be why you'd get one, would it? :erm:

Trying to sell a Ferrari without service history would be next to impossible. Doing the work doesn't intimidate me one bit.

I was 'forced' to daily it while the bike was in the shop for some crazy failed clutch. All I need to say is the car is the perfect daily vehicle. Plenty of power, comfortable, ac can cope with 105f temps, looks great... If you can find one for around 15k and aren't afraid to wrench, you can't find a more impressive vehicle in the same price range. That is including possibility the engine pops and sets you back 6-10k for a used one.

Rikadyn
July 14th, 2015, 02:11 AM

Godson
July 23rd, 2015, 11:21 AM
Just for future reference to look up later

P0151
P1124
P1126
P1524 (again).

Godson
July 23rd, 2015, 12:19 PM
Just for future reference to look up later

P0151
P1124
P1126
P1524 (again).

P0151 is likely an o2 sensor. Upstream bank 2. Going to do some research on cheap universals so I can replace all of them at the same time, with just wiring new connectors on it.

1124 and 1126 are too rich of a condition. Likely caused by the faulty bank1 sensor and the car trying to adapt.

1524 is again the issue of the Variable cam solenoid/tower. Need to do some research on this one. Perhaps I messed something up when I reinstalled it.

Godson
July 23rd, 2015, 12:25 PM
"Ultra Power" has direct fit O2 sensors for 19.33 ea on rock auto. Hmm.. Thoughts on that vs buying a Denso sensor for a mustand @ 25 ea and soldering the Porsche stock connector onto the 'mustang' one?