PDA

View Full Version : Matt's Motaaaaahs: Skoda Rapid Spaceback and Honda CBR600RR. Cheerio!

M4FFU
March 13th, 2015, 07:39 AM
So, I figure I'd start one of these as I can see changes this year.

I currently own this: my bought-as-new 2005 Skoda Fabia vRS.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8565/16802240412_02a3c637b6_c.jpg

She turned over 136,000 last week, and - touch wood - has behaved herself. An alternator pulley and two driveshafts have been the only non-serviceable stuff to replace. She needs a new windscreen and a 'major' service soon, but still motors on. Cleans up well, too. Replaced the front tyres recently with some Hankook expensive things that I got at cost - much better in Englands winter grease.

Only drive it occasionally on weekends, but she's a trooper.

As for 2015 plans: plan is the fleet to gain a 4 wheeled and 2 wheeled addition. 4 wheeled I'm less bothered about. Something that I can drive and forget. I quite fancy a Skoda Yeti. We'll see. Also hankering over a 2.9 VR6'd Corrado. They are CHEAP. Hmm. (I don't need a diesel, I train to work. Not sure I'll own one again.)

2 wheeled; list is as long as my leg. (Well, ok, I don't have a long leg, but you catch my drift.) I've an offer on a friends 2002 CBR600 Sport. It's leggy, but well looked after. Something good to get my mad skills back on as it's been a while since I've ridden. Or, where I'm also at, is an eff-it, just do it, kinda thing. Thinking 796 Monster (for the swing-arm alone...), 675 Daytona , KTM 690, ~06 CBR600RR, XJR1300. I like all sorts. Can't decide if I want to be in a hurry or not. Or at least seen to be in a hurry. ;) I've love a BMW One90T but way to much dollah. We'll see.

Anyway, will continue to update with random bits and bobs on a car that 3% of this forum know about. :D

novicius
March 13th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Sharp. :up:

If you're gonna sell it, just sell it as-is. Don't put any money into it, let the next owner do that.

Kchrpm
March 13th, 2015, 07:47 AM
Ducati :up:

M4FFU
March 13th, 2015, 08:18 AM
I think the Fab will probably stick around. Not sure. If I go for something new, part-ex. All depends on how my non-car situation pans out over the next month or two. But I know what you mean.

Yes, Ducati - but Ducati tax.

Went to my parents last weekend and found two sets of leathers, one textiles and two old helmets. They've been in a damp garage for a while, so will not use those. Just need boots and a new lid and I'm sorted, kit wise.

Godson
March 13th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Ducati over all things. Monsters are cheap and bullet proof. Especially the pantah based engines. Look for a 05-07 s2r 1000 dual spark and have a blast. If ya want more go, go with a 14T front sprocket.

TheBenior
March 13th, 2015, 09:54 AM
In my brief 696 ownership experience, the main ways the Ducati tax will get you with a 796 are the short valve change intervals and OEM parts that are unavailable at substantial discounts like with Japanese or even BMW bikes (at least in the US).

Cam
March 19th, 2015, 07:16 AM
Can't go wrong with a Honda momobike. :D

M4FFU
October 5th, 2015, 12:47 AM
This weekend a Skoda Rapid Spaceback will be joining the gang. In Denim Blue, it looks lovely. The 1.2TSI engine's are a delight, and it's everything we'll need. The Fabia, whilst a hero, my find its way to a new owner. It's 143,000 old, not had a problem with it, but I think I've got everything from it I'll need. If I can find someone to give it a bit of TLC to get it to carry on and on, even better.

2nd car replacement and bike search still on going...

Yw-slayer
October 5th, 2015, 02:27 AM
Looks pretty good mate, although it's not exactly a huge change from your current motor, is it? ;)

Still, I managed to configure one for GBP21,590. Admittedly I went slightly mad with the options.

M4FFU
October 5th, 2015, 02:48 AM
It's a little newer ;) bigger rear space, bigger boot to fit the dog, and not diesel. All we need. I don't drive during the week anyway, so it's just a replacement 'car' which I got for a song and will last a while I hope. The Fab has done it's job - and nothing big has gone wrong on it. Perfect time to swap to something new.

Yw-slayer
October 5th, 2015, 03:26 AM
Indeed. One might even think, nothing big having gone wrong with it, that you might as well continue to run the Fabia until it's thoroughly done and dusted! But yes, I can see the appeal of getting something that's a bit fresher.

M4FFU
October 12th, 2015, 02:56 AM
Took delivery of the car. The 86PS version of the turbo'd 1.2 from VW might not set the world on fine but it's quiet, refined and diesel in it's power delivery. Has enough ooomf to accelerate up the hills around the village, so happy! Roomy, drives well and it's in a lovely colour. Happy.

...just now to decide on the weekend car :D

Yw-slayer
October 12th, 2015, 04:54 AM
Tuned, used 86.

Kchrpm
October 12th, 2015, 05:28 AM
V8 Miata.

Yw-slayer
October 12th, 2015, 07:15 AM
Corvette.

Godson
October 12th, 2015, 04:08 PM
C5 vettes are getting CHEAP

Kchrpm
October 13th, 2015, 03:35 AM
Even in the UK?

M4FFU
October 13th, 2015, 04:07 AM
Tuned, used 86.

£5k, tops, as I'll barely use it. Mk3 MX5 is a thing, but thinking more Alfa GT.

Yw-slayer
October 13th, 2015, 04:15 AM
Not too bad looking, but really?

M4FFU
October 13th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Why not? They are beautiful things!
(Or a GTV, or even a minty 156...)

Random
October 13th, 2015, 09:56 AM
GTV-6 or ban. :mad:

Dooo eeeeeetttt!

http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1494&stc=1

thesameguy
October 13th, 2015, 10:05 AM
<3

But a 156 or a 75CZ would be pretty badass as well. I'd encourage you to go for an Alfa. Always. :)

Yw-slayer
October 13th, 2015, 11:33 AM
GTVs are cool, but ancient?

Just don't buy a Brera.

Godson
October 13th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Is that thing rwd?

Random
October 13th, 2015, 07:09 PM
The GTV-6? Yes.

And they sound GLORIOUS.

https://youtu.be/lvk_8bs_Hw8?t=294

Godson
October 14th, 2015, 05:32 AM
OK. Why the FUCK did we not get that?

I'm ready to go postal and fuck someone up.

M4FFU
October 14th, 2015, 06:29 AM
<3

But a 156 or a 75CZ would be pretty badass as well. I'd encourage you to go for an Alfa. Always. :)

Pretty much where I'm at. GTV-6s are strong, strong money, else I'd be in. The 916 shaped GTVs are nice, the 156 I still think it's one of the prettier cars for some time, and yeah - a not rotten 75 would be a nice thing.

But...Alfa. :up:

There is, what appears from the advert, a rather nice 2.0 156 quite near me on autotrader. £1600. Might try and see it this weekend. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201510117714184

Random
October 14th, 2015, 08:05 AM
OK. Why the FUCK did we not get that?

We did. ;) http://chico.craigslist.org/cto/5261883816.html

There's also a 4-cylinder version--don't get fooled! http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/5263112926.html

thesameguy
October 14th, 2015, 09:05 AM
The four cylinder isn't bad... it's a lot lighter up front and possibly drives better, just down on power. Nothing a Miata aficionado should be upset about. :)

Man - That Maratona is nice. I would love another GTV6 (I'd even take another Milano!) for a while, and an '84 is positively ideal.

Random
October 14th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Oh, I'm sure the 4-cyl drives fine, but it just doesn't have that Italian V6 sound. :D

Godson
October 14th, 2015, 10:03 AM
If I wasn't trying to dump debt....

thesameguy
October 14th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Oh, I'm sure the 4-cyl drives fine, but it just doesn't have that Italian V6 sound. :D

A friend of mine - the guy who got me interested in 164s also had a GTV and with a non-stock exhaust it sounded pretty good. Not like a V6 or anything, but a nice throaty bark and obviously Italian. ;)

M4FFU
October 14th, 2015, 11:38 PM
And now I find myself looking at loaded 166 3.0s... :D

thesameguy
October 15th, 2015, 12:39 AM
Gorgeous car for sure and super comfortable. Not the same drive as a RWD V6 model...

Yw-slayer
October 15th, 2015, 01:12 AM
Or you could buy something that will actually start and move when you want it to. You know, like a Japanese car.

thesameguy
October 15th, 2015, 01:46 AM
I never had a single mechanical problem with my GTV6 or Milano (Type 75). My 164 had three problems - a failed cam sensor at 105k, a failed coolant temp sensor *connector* at 110k, and a failed AC compressor at 102k. All three were excellent cars.

Edit: I lied - the Milano lost a rubber brake line sometime around it's 20th birthday.

Yw-slayer
October 15th, 2015, 05:08 AM
You live in California, not in England.

thesameguy
October 15th, 2015, 08:05 AM
I don't get it - what does geography have to do with reliability?

If anything, living in Europe at least means access to parts. *That* was why I ended up getting rid of them all.

Yw-slayer
October 15th, 2015, 06:57 PM
The weather, man.

thesameguy
October 15th, 2015, 09:40 PM
I am seriously not getting how a Japanese car is better suited to UK weather.

Yw-slayer
October 15th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Unlike in Italy, there it rains a lot all the time and it's generally damp and miserable.

Japanese cars are also better suited to dealing with hot and humid weather (possibly because it gets very hot and humid in Japan). IME the A/C units in European cars are always inferior at putting out cold air instantly, when compared to those in a Japanese car.

thesameguy
October 15th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Not sure how that's a thing given how AC systems are designed and work, but if that's your experience I can't much argue with it. Regardless, if you're buying any 1980s car for the AC, you're doing it wrong anyway.

Not sure Italy would be considered a dry climate, either, with average annual humidity levels nationwide never dropping below 50% and frequently approaching 100%, but hey, I've never been there so what do I know.

M4FFU
October 16th, 2015, 08:02 AM
I'm assuming Y Dub is referring to our frost/sale/shit winter roads. I don't think rust is an issue with GTVs/147s?

Kchrpm
October 16th, 2015, 08:34 AM
I understand frost roads and shit roads, but sale roads?

thesameguy
October 16th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Anything 1984+ should be reasonably safe from rust. Prior to '84, Alfa was inexplicably not galvanizing their sheet metal so the cars are indeed quite prone to it.

Yw-slayer
October 16th, 2015, 09:21 AM
I think he meant shale or hail? But yes, generally the miserable UK weather and roads.

Humidity I was just referring to generally. It's pretty much 90%+ here most of the year around (admittedly not so in Blighty).

samoht
October 18th, 2015, 02:29 PM
I'd seriously consider the MX-5, MR2 mk3, or DC2 ITR. They should feel special enough to be worth having as a weekend car, and low-maintenance enough to not be a hassle to keep ready for when you do want to use them.

If you want an Alfa, I'd have thought go for a classic like the aforementioned GTV-6 or the classic Spider. Having an FF saloon as a daily and another FF saloon as a weekend car doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me (personally).

M4FFU
October 22nd, 2015, 11:56 PM
Salt :D
Destroys cars with thin paint - ie, most Mk2 MX5s ;)

Any-hoo. My Fabia now has a new home. A touch sad, but now have monies for something new. :up;

Tom - a minty EP3 Civic R is on my radar at the moment.

Yw-slayer
October 23rd, 2015, 11:54 AM
Japanese = Start up and run when you want it to. :up:

Random
October 23rd, 2015, 12:08 PM
Tom - a minty EP3 Civic R is on my radar at the moment.

Yellow, with black and yellow wheels and big wing. Right? ;)

M4FFU
October 26th, 2015, 12:39 AM
Utterly standard, if I can find one!

Random
October 26th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Bah, too slow.

Maybe a big "NEAL" in the quarter window? :D

M4FFU
October 26th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Hehe. See; I don’t want anything to boy-racer, either. I know, I know. Sounds daft, but – I’m an old man living in a village now. I can’t have anything a teenage son of a neighbour ought to be driving. Having a little read about the 2006-09 Polo GTIs are they don’t look too silly, but can be made quick enough. Ideally I’d have a rapid V50 estate, but not got the room outside the house.

Current favourites are one of the last run 147 Colleziones, or a Hyundai Coupe. I read too much bad about MX5 rusting quickly and easily. I keep going back to the Alfa.

Yw-slayer
October 26th, 2015, 09:51 AM
147? You want a Mk1 with the tri-circle alloys in red. One of the best looking cars EVER. Pretty much almost perfect, and made uglier by the facelift.

CudaMan
October 26th, 2015, 11:26 AM
I’m an old man living in a village now. I can’t have anything a teenage son of a neighbour ought to be driving.
Who says you have to live by these made up rules? :) [Says the guy approaching 35 who still has only ever owned 2-seat sports cars since 18...]

On car choice, screw what other people think, or what society expects. Buy what's right for you and what you like. Especially if it's meant to be a toy.

Kchrpm
October 26th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Who says you have to live by these made up rules? :) [Says the guy approaching 35 who still has only ever owned 2-seat sports cars since 18...]
How was that Juke? ;)

Random
October 26th, 2015, 06:13 PM
Loaned. ;)

CudaMan
October 26th, 2015, 09:41 PM
Company car. ;)

Kchrpm
October 27th, 2015, 03:23 AM
Touche. ;)

M4FFU
October 27th, 2015, 04:39 AM

On car choice, screw what other people think, or what society expects. Buy what's right for you and what you like. Especially if it's meant to be a toy.

Well, true. Very true.

So, let's get this moving a bit. I've got a £4000-5000 budget. I want something 2 seater, fun, reliable. It will be a weekend car, and with reduced use in the winter. I don't have to spend all the money, just FYI. It's not a target ;)

S2000s are out. Sadly. I'd LOVE one, but for my budget I get snotty, shagged versions. Not an option.
350Z. I could get a 04/05 ~100,000 mile version for £4k.
Z4. '04 2.2 with 100,000k are £4k.
Mk3 MX5, 60k 2.0 for £4.5k.
Mk3 MR2. '03 50k examples for £2,5k - £4k.

Simplistically, I think an MX5 is a safer choice. There are lots about, so finding a nicer one is easier. They should be able to go on and on without too much major surgery? I'd love a Mk2 MR2, but those that are around look tired. Also, is working on the engine a pita?

Kchrpm
October 27th, 2015, 05:04 AM
Head says Miata. Heart says 350Z that you can systematically add Nismo bits to.

Godson
October 27th, 2015, 08:00 AM
How tall are you?

Yw-slayer
October 27th, 2015, 08:26 AM
Not very. :D

Random
October 27th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Of your choices, I would personally go for the 350Z or the NC MX-5. The Z4s are neat, but much more of a GT in terms of handling, IMO.

I think the only MR cars that are not a pain to work on are the ones that have removable body work:
http://vpstestbringatrailercom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/plugins/PostviaEmail/images/1972_Lotus_69_Formula_Ford_Vintage_Race_Car_For_Sa le_Body_Off_resize.jpg

:D

Phil_SS
October 27th, 2015, 11:36 AM

Cudas don't have back seats? Or was that before you were 18? Don't make me feel old.......

CudaMan
October 27th, 2015, 11:36 AM
As an owner of 3 of the aforementioned cars, some thoughts. :)

NA MK2 MR2s are pretty easy to work on. The engine bay was designed for the Turbo car, with all its extra bits and plumbing, so chuck a simple NA motor in there and there is extra room. I've not driven a European NA with the 3SGE but the 5SFE we got here is great for its good torque (for a 4cyl) around town. Loved mine. It's also a car that just fits me right, ergonomically. Everything feels like it's where it should be. Good ones are indeed getting tougher to find but they're out there. The MK2 strikes a fantastic balance between comfy GT car and nimble sports car. Also the ride quality is amazing. Spoiled me for other sports cars, in truth.

Also gotta cast a vote for a 350Z if you can find ones in decent shape for that money. Heck of a bargain. Even here, where minimum buy in for a decent ~100k mile early car is about $7,500, it's great value for money. They go quick, make good noises, handle well, and even get reasonable fuel economy. It's more of a GT car than an MR2, for sure. Although, with suspension changes you can make a Z pretty nimble (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYxANUfAdhI). :) You can fix the understeer with a pair of adjustable front upper control arms for more negative camber (careful which kind, some are known to slip - we have Kinetix on ours). They also need a real LSD to unlock more hidden potential. Quiafe is quiet and reliable. Clutch types (KAAZ, OSGiken, Cusco) are more hardcore. For the engine, headers and a tune will wake up the responsiveness of the engine. Ours feels downright fast, where stock ones feel a bit more lazy. Part of that is throttle tuning I am sure. UpRev tuning has a 'performance' throttle map which I like much better.

Our '06 MX-5 is fun and you feel the lightness. Super fast steering ratio. *Think* about a lane change on the motorway and you're in the next lane. Takes some getting used to. They're generally pretty reliable, except for airbag system issues. I don't care for Mazda's throttle calibration of the era. It (and the RX-8) does some strange things on tip-in from idle, making getting away from a stop less intuitive than it should be. Great shifter, reasonable torque once you get up into the midrange. Not a pretty engine noise, IMO. Good looking car, expecially from the rear (http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/image/160829703/original). The OEM detachable hardtop (http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/image/160829695/original) adds a lot to the looks, too, IMO. Plus you can see out the back better, and it's a little more secure.

Basically, the more emphasis you place on power/torque, the more you should look at the Z. If that isn't a priority for you your choice may take more effort.

CudaMan
October 27th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Cudas don't have back seats?

Hm, come to think of it I might have been 19 when that car was sold. Or 20.

M4FFU
October 28th, 2015, 02:26 AM
Specifically with the 350Z, are there any major known problems and/or things I should worry about when looking to invest in a 100,000 mile old car?

I think they’re more me. Spirited driving is a thing of the past, and I think it’d be more of an occasion to drive than an MX5 (Grander, rather than thrilling…) given I'm on public transport all week.

Yw-slayer
October 28th, 2015, 04:41 AM
It is pretty quick and looks OK. Not sure about it being more of an occasion to drive than an MX-5 though.

CudaMan
October 28th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Specifically with the 350Z, are there any major known problems and/or things I should worry about when looking to invest in a 100,000 mile old car?
Generally no, just the usual stuff with regard to maintenance (fluids, belts, hoses). I believe I heard the clutch was a more expensive job than is typical, something about the dual mass flywheel being an expensive part. The clutches usually last a long time but if you buy a 100k-mile car I wouldn't expect more than another 50k out of it.

One thing to note, the RevUp engine (7,000rpm redline) was known for drinking oil. We got those in '05-'06 350Zs. Not sure about the UK. If you find one that doesn't burn excessive oil it'll be fine - some of these cars were doing it from new and got replacement engines.

The HR-engine cars ('07-'08 here) had some slave cylinder issues because they put it inside the transmission and made it of plastic (yeah, I know...). But those are probably out of your budget. Best of breed, though, if you can stretch for one. 7500rpm redline and by this time they were up about 30hp from the DE cars ('03-'04 here). Also, that sexy hood bulge.

Manual transmissions are noisy. And have manly shift feel. Not for the dainty-shifter.

Some people have had window regulators go bad. Not uncommon for cars that have the feature where the window cracks down when you open the door, and suck back up to the weatherstripping when you close the door.

Valve cover gaskets can leak at this age. It's a bit of labor to get to them and the gasket is integral to the valve cover, meaning you'd need new valve covers installed.

Oh, one more known issue. The hatch on some cars doesn't pop up when you press the release button. You have to use your free hand to lift at the lip to get the hatch past its catch while you're pressing the button (either on the remote or the back of the car). Kind of annoying, and the fix I researched was quite temporary so I've learned to live with it.

Generally though, pretty solid and well built. Ours has been a treat.

M4FFU
January 20th, 2016, 11:43 PM
So, a thing happened, and I have an immaculate 2006 Honda CBR600RR with 5000 miles on the clock being delivered next week.

Lovely.

Yw-slayer
January 20th, 2016, 11:51 PM
FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

M4FFU
January 21st, 2016, 12:23 AM
Dealer picture attached. There's barely a mark on it. Woop!

Track days getting booked up shortly :D

thesameguy
January 21st, 2016, 01:09 AM
That seems terrifying!

novicius
January 21st, 2016, 04:21 AM
Nice find! :D

Make sure you check the age of those tires and possibly the brake fluid.

M4FFU
January 21st, 2016, 05:01 AM
Oh indeed. Tyres are recent and barely used, and brake fluid will be getting changed soon after it's in my hands as it's getting braided lines, etc.

Fun times ahead. Have greatly missed riding.

novicius
January 21st, 2016, 06:18 AM
:up: :up:

Also I am a fan of a steering damper. I use Hyperpro RSC but either the Scotts or Ohlins would work great.

M4FFU
February 10th, 2016, 12:22 AM
So, due to either poor weather or poor Maffu, the bike hasn't moved. However, she's ("Hibari") now sitting pretty in my garage waiting for winter to be done with. I still think it looks amazing. RC211V-esque. Obviously, as it's mine, I will, but I think it looks better than the newer facelifts.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1643/24638081910_8243f84802_z.jpg

I've been acquiring some stuff, which is always good; a Haynes manual, Optimate charger, cover and a tail tidy. The tail tidy I might attempt to fit this weekend. The lump of plastic that's on it at the moment isn't as bad as some bikes, but tidy it up I shall.

Whilst my kit all still fits, the lid was 10 years ago and has been in a damp-ish garage. Being the proud 46 fan-boi, I've got a GP Tech with a chicken on it now. (dark visor added since...)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1575/24933571215_432c170778_z.jpg

Crossing fingers for warmer weather soon. I'm also watching several exhausts on eBay!

Godson
February 10th, 2016, 03:10 AM
When Ionnone hit that bird. MotoGP history

M4FFU
February 10th, 2016, 06:01 AM
Indeed. His current 2016 Test lid is dedicated to poor Chick.

Some history on the significance of my lid rep.

This Rossi helmet design features a cartoon chicken on the top, laying an egg with the number 9 on it represents a joke on Rossi’s age (31 this year) and is based on an old Italian saying “Gallina Vecchia fa buon brodo” which means the old chicken makes good broth, but doesn’t lay eggs, instead Rossi laid another egg with his 9th world title.

M4FFU
May 24th, 2016, 12:41 AM
Small update: having done more bikes on the RR-6 this year than it's done in the last two years combined, I'm slowly getting to grips with it. The quick steering still takes some getting used to, and the brakes are simply amazing. I've purchased some brembo SC pads and will do a fluid flush when I get time.

Whilst just riding it, I'm forming a list of things I want to change. I've ummed and arred about getting something different as lack of torque and comfort are a pain. The comfort I need to man-up with (or get more 'bike fit') but I'm going to change the sprockets -1/+2 in the short term to change the gearing to make it fit the power delivery a bit. Towards the end of the year it'll get a full system, filter and map as well as a suspension rebuild and set-up. Then I'll be a bit happier.

Or get a 1000.

:D

NoKnownCure
June 13th, 2016, 06:46 AM
Sweet collection bud :up:

M4FFU
June 29th, 2016, 05:42 AM
Ordered an Arrows exhaust which is making it's way from Italy to me.

Time to make some noise :D

dodint
June 29th, 2016, 06:48 AM
My first motorcycle was a CBR600F4i, great memories but I outgrew it a few months after buying it.

Back when I was fit:

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/177509_2270117529881_2077660097_o.jpg

Still had a preposterously giant head, though. :|

M4FFU
June 29th, 2016, 07:49 AM
Have you ever tried the RR over the F?

dodint
June 29th, 2016, 08:11 AM
Nah. I went from the 600F4i to an RC-51. Then sold it to a guy in Rotherham, England on eBay just a few weeks ago.

novicius
June 29th, 2016, 12:09 PM
"Outgrew it"? Do you mean it began to feel small over time?

'Cause the limits on that bike are still pretty damn high if you're talking skill-wise...

dodint
June 29th, 2016, 01:16 PM
I wasn't scared of it anymore. And I threw that bike around a lot more than the RC-51. It was the bike I got my license on and after the first riding season I felt as if I had tamed it. I was in my mid-20s and an invincible Marine back then, when I actually used to rail it like you do. ;) The RR probably would've held my attention another season.

novicius
June 29th, 2016, 01:20 PM
If you were draggin' knee / zero chicken strips /melting tires during your first year riding I am definitely impressed! :lol:

dodint
June 29th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Okay. Maybe not *quite* like you. And I did ride dirt bikes growing up, just no street license.

No chick'n strips doe.

novicius
June 29th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Not me, man -- but I've ridden with those guys so I know the type.

You wanna go fast? You gotta be willing to crash. :D

M4FFU
June 30th, 2016, 12:29 AM
Fair enough. A friend, who now has a 954RR as a road bike, had a CBR6F for many years, and about 40,000 miles and still didn’t think he better’d it. He’s converted it to a track bike now and it’s still a capable machine.

Only thing that makes me want to change my bike, bar the neck ache, is a lack of torque. But it’s so damn agile and ‘tame’ on the road. I can open the throttle mid corner and no upset, at speed. On a 1000…?

Think my garage next year will gain a s’moto of some such, and the 600 may be kept. Plus, I just think it looks ace. :D

novicius
June 30th, 2016, 03:20 AM
:up: :up:

A Fast Guy told me this once: newbies shouldn't talk to other newbies about railing. ;) #imstillanewbie #whereiskellen

dodint
June 30th, 2016, 04:31 AM
It was a great first road bike for me, I liked it a lot. I'd keep the 600 if I were you.

M4FFU
July 25th, 2016, 01:27 AM
Now with an arrows exhaust and tail tidy. Took the baffle out; it's...loud. :D

M4FFU
September 29th, 2016, 12:03 AM
After a visit to Brands Hatch and a fear of ruining my pristine Honda, I've now acquired a '06 SV650 to use as a track bike. N+1, and all that...

thesameguy
September 29th, 2016, 10:29 AM
:lol:

:up:

M4FFU
October 11th, 2016, 07:12 AM
And here it is.

On the ride home, it was obvious - with it's heated grips and Michelin PR4s - that it'll be more my spring/autumn bike, and the RR will be for sunny sundays and track duties.

speedpimp
October 11th, 2016, 01:41 PM
:up:

M4FFU
February 17th, 2017, 02:41 AM
So, Feb is expensive. Car MOT, major service, new tyres, Bike 1 MOT, service, Bike 2, service. Both bikes have braided lines and fast road pads ready.

Umm'd and arr'd for ages about replacing one and both bikes, and I'm going to give them both another year. SV will turn into a trackday slag, which is fine. RR will get tarted up for road duties.

Next year I expect one of the bikes to be replaced by a Tuono. I've got this year to decide on which one :D

Godson
February 17th, 2017, 05:59 AM
I miss my tuono. :(

Kchrpm
February 17th, 2017, 05:59 AM
If only you'd missed that sign, too.

Godson
February 18th, 2017, 06:27 AM
Savage.

M4FFU
February 20th, 2017, 04:52 AM
Yup. The V2 Factory is very much on my shopping list.

CBR passed, having not turned a wheel in 3+ months, SV needs a standard exhaust as I won't pass DB limits with the loud as fudge aftermarket one. Brands on the 23rd of March... :D

Phil_SS
February 20th, 2017, 07:05 AM
Savage.

:lol: :(

M4FFU
March 20th, 2017, 07:14 AM
Rapid Spaceback: clutch cylinder replaced under warranty, 1st MOT and full service. :up:
CBR600RR: sold :(
SV650: unloved, but track prep ahead :o
XJR1300: new (old) addition. SO. MUCH. TORQUE. :D

Doubt I'll own a sportsbike again. Not for me.

dodint
March 20th, 2017, 07:27 AM
Bummer. CBR600 was my first sport bike. Fond memories. Glad you've sold it off to some other person that can enjoy it. At least that's what I told myself when letting go of the RC-51. ;)

M4FFU
March 20th, 2017, 07:35 AM
Not comparable, mate. Selling the RC51 was such a huge, HUGE mistake, I wonder why you even have the brave to show your face around here :P

It's sad, and I could go on about why I didn't actually enjoy riding it, but suspect no-one cares. It needs to be ridden, so off it goes. Big "muscle" bike was a move on from the Z750 I used to have. Looking forward to riding it lots, and faffing around with it even more.

Carbs? What are they again? :D

dodint
March 20th, 2017, 07:45 AM
Ow, my feels, right in the insecurities. ;)

M4FFU
May 3rd, 2017, 02:48 AM
Done some fun work on the SV: removed alarm, removed leaking scottoiler, removed most of the rear of the bike to clean up the results of a leaking scottoiler, removed old race exhaust, ordered new one to fit (to pass db tests), fitting fastroad front pads, done oil/filter changer.

Need to fit new exhaust, desnorkle the airbox (no performance, but will sound mega) then road test a bit - and bed in the brakes - before it's first track outing next month. Exciting :)

M4FFU
March 5th, 2018, 03:05 AM
£1300 bill for labour and parts gets me a MOT'd, practically everything replaced Tuono (of the joys of owning an old Italian motorcycler) and we'll be picking up our new Honda CRV in a few weeks time. Good bye Skodas! :)