PDA

View Full Version : Titanfall

novicius
January 15th, 2014, 08:37 AM
[Continued from here.] (http://gtxfrefuge.freeforums.org/post73334.html#p73334)

http://www.respawn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/TitanfallReveal.jpg

Titanfall is a mecha first-person shooter video game developed by Respawn Entertainment and published by Electronic Arts for the Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows. It is Respawn's first game, and is scheduled for release in spring 2014.

Players fight either on foot as free-running "Pilots" or inside nimble mechs called "Titans" in order to complete various team objectives. The game is multiplayer-only but injects single-player elements such as plot, characters, and NPCs into its matches.

From Respawn Entertainment, built from the team that left Infinity Ward after COD: MW2. All I care about is that it's playable on the Xbox 360 (development house TBA). :cool: :toast:

novicius
January 15th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Titanfall Is Hard to Sell Because It’s So Innovative, Says Respawn (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Titanfall-Is-Hard-to-Sell-Because-It-s-So-Innovative-Says-Respawn-416598.shtml)

For the team at Respawn Entertainment, Titanfall has been hard to sell to potential fans because of its very innovative nature, according to Drew McCoy, who serves as a producer on the title. He states in a NeoGAF post that, “Its actually been really tough trying to accurately market Titanfall. If you look at what we’ve done, its a lot different than what most FPS games do. Without a bunch of highly scripted SP moments to recam from different angles, the usual ‘movie like’ trailer is just about right out.”

To deal with the issue, the studio has created longer gameplay videos that show how a player first takes the role of a pilot, battling both AI and other gamers, before he is able to earn access to a Titan and then use it to change the balance of forces on the battlefield. Respawn has also taken early alpha builds of the game to various shows in order to make sure that those attending understood the true nature of Titanfall.
Gameplay vids and in-game cinematics would be fine, I'd think.

Titanfall Developer Insists Player Counts Do Not Create Fun (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Titanfall-Developer-Insists-Player-Counts-Do-Not-Create-Fun-416478.shtml)

Drew McCoy, a producer working on Titanfall, says that his company’s decision to limit the size of matches in the shooter to 6 versus 6 will not have an impact on the amount of fun that the experience will deliver. He states in a post on NeoGAF that, “What about high player counts makes that more fun, though? I honestly want to know, because this kind of stuff is super important and we obsess over it every day.”

The decision has angered a number of fans of the company, who were expecting to see a more traditional take on the genre. Titanfall is designed to introduce a number of Artificial Intelligence controlled enemies and allies in each match, meaning that about 50 combatants will be able to take part in a game at the same time.

Titanfall will be launched on the Xbox One, the 360 and the PC on March 11 in North America and on March 13 in Europe.
Um, because it's exhilarating to see a futurewar battlefield playing out in front of you?

Exclusive Titanfall Xbox One Controller Revealed (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Exclusive-Titanfall-Xbox-One-Controller-Revealed-417291.shtml)

Microsoft and Respawn Entertainment have partnered to create a special limited edition Titanfall Xbox One controller that's already available for pre-order and will be released in March alongside the actual game.

Titanfall is one of the biggest titles set to debut this year and Microsoft is making a big spectacle of it on the Xbox One console, even though it will also appear on the Xbox 360 and PC platforms. Now, as part of the marketing campaign, a special Xbox One Titanfall-branded controller has just been revealed. The new device is customized by developer Respawn Entertainment and is inspired by the game's C-101 carbine.

The controller is available for pre-order at the U.S. Microsoft Store and will be available alongside Titanfall on March 11 in North America and March 13 in Europe.
http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news-700/Exclusive-Titanfall-Xbox-One-Controller-Revealed.jpg?1389796705

Alan P
January 15th, 2014, 05:55 PM
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

thesameguy
January 15th, 2014, 07:17 PM
I really want to be really excited about this game, but the fact that it's from a first-time developer backed by EA makes me *really* skeptical. What is the last genuinely good game EA published?

Kchrpm
January 15th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Battlefield 3 multiplayer

Mass Effect 3

Need for Speed Rivals

Portal 2 (news to me)

And the people who have actually played it at trade shows are over the moon for it.

thesameguy
January 15th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Portal 2 was almost three years ago! NFS:Rivals was crap on a number of levels, especially the PC version of it (unstable, 30fps cap, etc.). I didn't play ME3 or Battlefield, but considering the sheer volume of games EA publishes the fact they've had two potentially genuinely good games in three years is pathetic. They're not getting my money on that track record.

Yw-slayer
January 15th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Battlefield and COD with Mechs?

novicius
January 16th, 2014, 05:28 AM
I really want to be really excited about this game, but the fact that it's from a first-time developer backed by EA makes me *really* skeptical. What is the last genuinely good game EA published?

Picked up a bunch of awards from E3.

The full list of winners is below:

Best of Show: Titanfall (Respawn Entertainment/Electronic Arts)
Best Original Game: Titanfall
Best Console Game: Titanfall
Best Handheld/Mobile Game: Tearaway (Media Molecule/Sony Computer Entertainment of America)
Best PC Game: Titanfall
Best Hardware/Peripheral: Oculus Rift (Oculus VR)
Best Action Game: Titanfall
Best Action/Adventure Game: Watch Dogs (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)
Best Role Playing Game: The Elder Scrolls Online (Zenimax Online/Bethesda Softworks)
Best Racing Game: Need for Speed: Rivals (Ghost Games/Electronic Arts)
Best Sports Game: NHL 14 (EA Canada/EA Sports)
Best Strategy Game: Total War: Rome 2 (The Creative Assembly/Sega)
Best Social/Casual Game: Fantasia: Music Evolved (Harmonix/Disney Interactive)
Best Online Multiplayer: Titanfall
Best Downloadable Game: Transistor (Supergiant Games)

An impressive list of accolades from last year's E3.

Kchrpm
January 16th, 2014, 05:28 AM
I had only heard good things about Rivals, but the point is that EAs game quality seems to be more based on the developers and how beholden they are to a hard deadline for delivery date than the fact that EA is footing the bills. The developers are the original COD guys, and they didn't even bother trying to hit the next gen launches.

But hey, if all you're saying is you wouldn't pre-order it, that's not THAT much of an insult. Waiting for a game to come out so you can see how it actually turned out is the way it should be. All I know is that the people from gaming sites who have played it are incredibly excited for it, to the point where when they have "what are you most excited for" discussions they add "other than Titanfall."

YW-
Yes, and more. It's very high paced, you can pilot or direct the mechs, there are AI characters running around not just as cannon fodder but with there own objectives (not sure if you have any control over them), when you "lose" a match you have to make a mad dash for your extraction point, when you're on foot you can wall run and use jet packs, and more and more. If you have the time, check out a long hands-on preview/demo. Here's a short video of Adam Sessler's impressions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLKmGU3Di0Y

Mortavian
January 16th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but Xbox 360 users and XBone users won't be able to play with each other, right?

novicius
January 16th, 2014, 07:48 AM
There's been no info released about the 360 version but since it's going to be converted by a 3rd party, I doubt it.

Kchrpm
January 16th, 2014, 09:08 AM
It almost never happens on any real-time game, even with the same devs it would shock me if they attempted it with all the other stuff they're trying to do.

JSGeneral
January 16th, 2014, 10:20 AM
I look at this and it reminds me of a faster paced Lost Planet... in a first-person point of view instead of third... and with jet-packs instead of grappling hooks.

Cool! :up:

I don't know if it's enough for me to buy the new console though...

novicius
January 16th, 2014, 10:50 AM
It's coming out on Xbox 360, too. #eventually #sotheysay

Schnell
January 16th, 2014, 01:30 PM
I don't think it looks that great. Mechs aren't my thing, and on top of that it's 6 on 6 with AI bots. Kind of like a FPS MOBA. It could be fun though if the maps and level ups are balanced

Alan P
January 16th, 2014, 05:20 PM
I believe that to be true Mort.

Because the game is running on the Source engine it really won't need a powerhouse of a PC to play. Hell my Son plays Team Fortress 2 which is also a Source game on a 9600GT which is a five year old card and wasn't exactly fantastic then either.

Mortavian
January 17th, 2014, 03:26 AM
Yeah. I'm just debating if I wanna do this on 360 or PC at this point...

novicius
January 17th, 2014, 04:01 AM
I don't think it looks that great. Mechs aren't my thing, and on top of that it's 6 on 6 with AI bots.
Game devs are still obsessed with the bullet-sponge "a few very tough AI that look gorgeous" vs "as many AI onscreen as possible". Path of least resistance (for them) as possible, I suppose.

novicius
January 17th, 2014, 05:06 AM
Titanfall Alpha Confirmed by Respawn, Is Just a Small Technical Test (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Titanfall-Alpha-Confirmed-by-Respawn-Is-Just-a-Small-Technical-Test-417823.shtml)

After a lot of rumors, speculation, and reports, Respawn Entertainment has confirmed that Titanfall will, in fact, undergo a small alpha test stage in the near future, but that it's just a technical test designed to try out systems ahead of the game's debut on Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PC.

Titanfall is eagerly awaited by millions of first-person shooter fans from around the world and some received a special email inviting them into a future alpha stage for Titanfall on the Xbox One. While a lot of rumors floated around the legitimacy of the email, developer Respawn was silent.

Now, it's finally confirmed on Twitter that the alpha stage was real, but that it was just a small technical test on the Xbox One. The trial is limited to North America and participants are forbidden from sharing impressions.
:lol:

21Kid
January 17th, 2014, 05:06 AM

Also, I wouldn't necessarily consider Respawn a first-time developer. They are the original developers of COD that left Infinity Ward after they had that huge fight.

Alan P
January 17th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Titanfall Alpha Confirmed by Respawn, Is Just a Small Technical Test (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Titanfall-Alpha-Confirmed-by-Respawn-Is-Just-a-Small-Technical-Test-417823.shtml)

:lol:

To be honest that's pretty standard for an Alpha. The BF4 PC Alpha had your username flashing up on the screen in random places every second or so to catch the streamers.

JSGeneral
January 20th, 2014, 05:07 AM
Online Alpha test footage leaked.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-20-titanfall-test-gameplay-footage-hits-the-internet

Kchrpm
January 27th, 2014, 08:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=caiIamHIzBY

Mortavian
January 29th, 2014, 12:05 AM
I'm not sure if that trailer had enough BWAM; it might need a bit more.

http://inception.davepedu.com/

Yw-slayer
January 29th, 2014, 01:04 AM
Looks like a great combo of BF and COD, and yet another game I will buy, probably finish the SP campaign for, then hardly play in MP.

Godson
January 29th, 2014, 08:23 AM
It is an EA game, so it will deliver on so many levels, then fail miserably on something super important. Like BF4 has since launch.

21Kid
January 29th, 2014, 09:40 AM
You mean BF4?

Godson
January 29th, 2014, 11:32 AM
You mean BF4?

Yeah. my predictive text messed that post all up...

Mortavian
January 29th, 2014, 11:19 PM
Looks like a great combo of BF and COD, and yet another game I will buy, probably finish the SP campaign for, then hardly play in MP.

I thought this was going to be one of them new fangled MP-only games?

Alan P
January 30th, 2014, 03:21 PM
The 'SP' isn't really SP at all. It's a narrated storyline based around the maps and games you play I think?

GreatScawt
January 31st, 2014, 05:02 AM
Just like... Brink?

Alan P
January 31st, 2014, 04:59 PM
I think so. Except Brink is shit.

Alan P
February 5th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Pre-ordered for £26. I heart PC gaming.

Yw-slayer
February 5th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Eh? WHERE N Y U GET SO CHEAP??!!

Oh, wait, I see, Origin pre-order. Yeah, I think I'm in too.

Mortavian
February 5th, 2014, 11:23 PM
According to the official page (http://www.titanfall.com/buy/pc-download), I'm only given the Origin download option at a price of ¥6,600 (which is about £40 or $65, for you non yen using folks).

Did you guys find a cheaper option somewhere else online or this is some unexpected-but-unsurprising "charge differently by region" bullshit I'm seeing here? Cuz if it's the latter, this game can go suck a fat one.

Yw-slayer
February 5th, 2014, 11:58 PM
Got it via the Hong Kong Origin store, HK$350, which is just around GBP26. Boxed copies are actually usually slightly cheaper. Yeah, you guys in Japan and the US get done big-time for PC games.

Mortavian
February 6th, 2014, 12:32 AM
Balls to that. Guess I won't be picking this one up before checking out first impressions by others.

Alan P
February 6th, 2014, 05:04 PM
I got it from www.cdkeys.com but I have no idea if the keys are multinational or not. It says Worldwide.

Yw-slayer
February 6th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Some good deals on that site. I did think they'd do that:

Why are your products so cheap?
Our management team have over thirty years of combined experience within the industry with an extensive network of suppliers and contacts from which to source products. We buy from all corners of the globe to ensure the cheapest possible prices and as we only sell products in digital form we're able to make significant savings on postage and related expenses - we then pass these reductions on to you, which ensures our pricing is the most competitive around!
Do you sell the physical games and boxes?
Sorry, for ease of use and to provide the best service we currently only sell the digital version of products.
Which countries do you sell to?
Since we are a digital only website we are able to sell instantly to any country in the world.

So I assume it goes like this:

1. Figure out what is the cheapest box price in various markets.
2. Sell it over the internet at a very slight markup to various
3. Pre-order set # of get boxed copies.
4. Open it and send CD key to purchaser.
5. ???
6. Profit

Alan P
February 7th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I rarely buy boxed copies these days but because it's just a key you need decent BB to make it worthwhile. My 40/10 fibre goes active on Wednesday. :)

Another site I've used is www.cjscdkeys.com I think it is. You need to watch with some games, often they'll be Russian versions that are geo-locked and need a VPN to activate and screwing around with language packs.

thesameguy
February 12th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Dell has preorders for $60 including a $25 Dell gift card. I almost did it, but I've really sworn off pre-orders. Still, thought I'd share. :)

Mortavian
February 15th, 2014, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the heads up! Seeing as this one's about a month away now, I'm gonna hold off til the reviews come in. If any of you folks pick it up, I'd definitely be interested in hearing your impressions. The more I see the gameplay, the more it looks like Battlefield with mechs.

<--- Not a fan of the Battlefield series.

Yw-slayer
February 15th, 2014, 06:32 AM
I've received an email with what looks like a Beta key, but as it's in Chinese I'm going to have to click around Origin for a bit before I figure it out. Probably something like REDEEM CODE/COUPON I suspect.

Yup, downloading it now, but won't have time to play it until the morning. And even then, I'm clearly not going to play it on the only whole day I have off with my daughter!

Alan P
February 15th, 2014, 03:22 PM
I got sent an Xbox One code instead of a PC code. They say to email support so I did. They will respond 'within 48 hours'. The beta will be over by then!

GreatScawt
February 15th, 2014, 04:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4s4tnOA8-A

Wow... uhh the smart pistol? That's ridiculously stupid.

Drachen596
February 15th, 2014, 04:56 PM
I watched JackFrags own with that thing on youtube. though he said its a one life burn card use to get it. Not sure if that means cash to buy it or what.

es nes
February 15th, 2014, 05:46 PM
From what I've seen from beta play on twitch, you earn burn cards on the field.

Drachen596
February 15th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Also said it was for one life. If you die you wouldn't respawn with it.

es nes
February 15th, 2014, 09:52 PM
From what I've seen, there doesn't seem to be anything keeping you from having three of the same burn card though.

Yw-slayer
February 15th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Got smart pistol from the start. Range is too short but it is good for agile dudes. The game is ridiculously fun and flash (classic COD), although it's currently lacking in some depth. That's probably due to it being in beta though. The Titans are a great idea, as is Titanfall itself.

Yw-slayer
February 16th, 2014, 10:48 PM
One good thing about games like this that use older engines (like Source) is that a W520 with NVIDIA Quadro 2000M seems to run it pretty well at 1440x900, even when it's driving 2 other (non-gaming) screens at 1920x1200/1080.

I think the best way to characterise it is Call of Duty x Virtual On x parkour, with a few elements of Battlefield thrown in. Fucking brilliant.

Kchrpm
February 17th, 2014, 05:03 AM
I wonder how terribly it would run on my laptop hooked up to the TV...

Yw-slayer
February 17th, 2014, 05:25 AM
Perhaps quite well. Source is pretty scalable.

Yw-slayer
February 17th, 2014, 07:55 AM
This game rocks. I'm maxed out at Level 14. Sweet setups for both maps. Rolled with a mad skillz crew for about 5-6 games just now on CTF - we were dominating the other side with scores like 400 - 200. Now it's time to sleep. The End.

Alan P
February 17th, 2014, 03:24 PM
I'm really liking it as well. Will have a Video up on YouTube in a wee while as well. Already paid for and pre-ordered. The perfect game for dipping in and out of when you only have half an hour or so.

Regarding laptops my son has played Team Fortress 2 on his laptop with integrated graphics although the screen is small. 1080p might struggle but Source is very scalable. Does it have IGP or standalone graphics Kchrpm?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omnjqHZ1zZw

The sound is a little out of sync :(

Kchrpm
February 17th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Standalone graphics.

Alan P
February 17th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Hmm, try and download a Source game like Team Fortress 2. it's free on steam and see how that runs?

Kchrpm
February 17th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Good idea!

Yw-slayer
February 17th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Good stuff mate, you were really dominating that map, pity your team still lost?. Personally, I prefer playing Hardpoint/CTF, particularly on Fracture. That way I get to leave my Titan to guard A or C while I use mad Sn1p3R Sk11lZ to take out fools from the rooftops.

21Kid
February 19th, 2014, 09:40 AM
A few of my friends that weren't interested in the game at all are in love with it after playing the Beta. They normally only play realistic FPS games like COD or BF. Meaning they don't like sci-fi stuff like Halo. Not that COD is realistic at all. LOL. So, I'm really interested to play it now. I downloaded the beta, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

GreatScawt
February 24th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Preorder bundle!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IIHU44E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

My coworker and I have a pact that if this is still available around 1pm EST when we go to lunch, we are pulling the trigger.

Yw-slayer
February 24th, 2014, 07:06 AM
Or just buy the PC version.

GreatScawt
February 24th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Whatever, elitist scum! :mad:

Purchase'ddd!!
Add me to the list of console douche nozzles for the next gen.

21Kid
February 24th, 2014, 01:11 PM
+1 douche-nozzle

GreatScawt
February 24th, 2014, 01:31 PM
:up:

Alan P
February 24th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Or just buy the PC version.

I am Alan P and I approve of this post.

Yw-slayer
February 25th, 2014, 04:57 AM
LIKE A REAL MAN

GreatScawt
February 25th, 2014, 06:32 AM
Yeah? Well I can't wait to play Titanfall with Pornhub snapped to the side :hard:

Yw-slayer
February 25th, 2014, 05:48 PM
I can play it with whatever I want snapped to/streaming on my second AND third monitors.

I WIN, PERFECT

21Kid
March 5th, 2014, 09:24 AM
'Titanfall' to launch with $30 12-month Xbox LIVE Gold card at Target (http://www.examiner.com/article/titanfall-to-launch-with-30-12-month-xbox-live-gold-card-at-target)

The ad not only shows the upcoming Xbox One and Titanfall bundle for $499.99 but also the option to pick up the game for the next-gen console or PC at $59.99 plus the 12-month Xbox LIVE Gold card for $29.99. This brings the total price for both to $89.98.

You can also throw in a $5 gift card with this deal if you decide to pre-order Titanfall in-store by picking up one of the $1 reservation cards for the game.

Yw-slayer
March 8th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Upgraded my normal pre-order to Digital Deluxe Edition. Also, the preload is ready on PC. Giggity.

Alan P
March 10th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Unlocked early thanks to a brief visit to Thailand ;) and it doesn't really play any different to the beta.

Yw-slayer
March 10th, 2014, 08:00 PM
I preloaded it on all the PCs that are capable of running it, and as usual, didn't have time to play it once I was able to. :lol:

21Kid
March 11th, 2014, 05:06 AM
why do you even bother? ;)

Yw-slayer
March 11th, 2014, 05:51 AM
So that I can lord it over people by playing THE BETA

Yw-slayer
March 13th, 2014, 10:30 PM
Right, I've put in about 3-4 hours on this with my old high-school bud. I'm now at Lvl 17 (from Lvl 0) due partly to my Beta experience giving me a bit of a headstart. It's awesome. Last Titan Standing is particularly good, it's a bit like a tank battle, but about 5000x better. The Plasma Railgun is brutal in that mode.

It's also essential to map Melee, Vortex Shield, and Grenade to your Mouse buttons. After all, any REAL gamer has a 5-button mouse AMIRITE

(Alan - you're tesslacoil on Origin right? I have asked to be your Friend)

21Kid
March 14th, 2014, 07:59 AM
I've been having a blast playing this on the XBone as well.

novicius
March 14th, 2014, 08:04 AM
After reading up a bit on the details of the 360 version, I wavered and cancelled my preorder. I'll wait to pick it up used sometime next year.

Yw-slayer
March 14th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Buy the PC version <GTA:Vice City>LIKE A REAL MAN!!!!</GTA:Vice City>

novicius
March 14th, 2014, 10:33 AM
For what PC? :lol:

Alan P
March 14th, 2014, 06:05 PM
I am Tesslacoil on origin yes. They really need to look at the 100 friend limit.

GreatScawt
March 14th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Yeah. This game is good. Haven't unlocked titan customization yet, but the default Ogre with 40mm cannon is quite fantastic. I've been dooming bitches. I got a finishing melee kill on one titan where I ripped out it's arm and bashed the titan/pilot with it. That was badass.

Alan P
March 15th, 2014, 08:19 AM
My 12 year old is playing and he's running around Titan Punching pilots which is something I've never done. Punched someone riding on an enemy Titan too! Multi lock on missiles are great but takes a while to lock all ten. Do good damage though.

Arc cannon is garbage. Power up and shoot at full power and not that strong. Plasma rifle is good as you can store the power indefinitely. Works well with the Stryder because you walk slower but can still dash.

Yw-slayer
March 15th, 2014, 08:52 PM
The mines look pretty nuts - haven't gotten them yet though. My fave for Last titan standing is definitely the plasma cannon, that thing is murderous.

Yw-slayer
March 30th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Bloody game - I'm done with the IMC campaign but need to finish the Militia campaign to get the Ogre. I've gotten to Three Towers once before I had to stop playing, Demeter once before it crashed, and EVERY TIME it puts me back at the bloody Refuelling Raid...

AlanP, if you have a bit of time, can I roll with you in a group for campaign? That should expand my search circle and at least allow me to find some players at a more advanced level.

Alan P
March 30th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Sure thing. I'm on late UK time, now were in BST.

Yw-slayer
March 30th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Thanks. Read somewhere that you can change your region in order to increase the amount of matches too. Do you know how to do that?

21Kid
April 22nd, 2014, 06:48 AM
Deal of the Day - Amazon

Titanfall

Today only, save on "Titanfall" for Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PC. Crafted by one of the co-creators of Call of Duty and other key developers behind the Call of Duty franchise, “Titanfall” is an all-new universe juxtaposing small vs. giant, natural vs. industrial... read more
$59.99 $36.99 (38% off)

novicius
January 29th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Pulled the trigger on a digital download of the Titanfall Deluxe Edition for $12.50. Includes 3 DLC packs & a Season Pass. Hmm.

I look forward to diving in this weekend. :up:

21Kid
January 29th, 2015, 10:55 AM
That's a good deal!!! I may have to get it again... :)

novicius
February 2nd, 2015, 10:58 AM
So I've been playing Titanfall throughout the weekend... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m_zE6H3NHE)

:assclown:

novicius
February 2nd, 2015, 07:14 PM
Alright, trolling aside, I actually have been playing Titanfall (now Level 22). A few thoughts:

It's damn impressive, actually. :up: Graphically, it's stunning. Gotta be one of the best looking games on the XBONE. Great music, very Firefly-esq. There are bots in-game with you that play as both your allies and enemies, which is a neat way to flesh out matches.

But structurally it's Quake III Arena/Unreal Tournament/1990's multiplayer. With a little CoD video that narrates the story in the upper right-hand corner of your screen. Per level. That's it. Even the "Campaign" is just a set of rotating PvP maps with the lil' story videos and voiceovers that play during your BOOM HEADSHOT action...?

But still, it has AI bots, big varied maps and FPS on-foot with in-game vehicle transitions. Downsides are limited weapon selection (so far), feeble Perk selection and near nonexistent character growth. But I'm intrigued so I'll keep playing it. :up:

Yw-slayer
February 2nd, 2015, 10:24 PM
It's only still 1990's multiplayer insofar as it's fast paced and action-packed.

The best thing about it is the jumping and wall-running, which makes it a much more dynamic game where the environment is not merely used for cover. The vehicle transitions, and the option to play ALONGSIDE your vehicle, are just the icing on the cake.

What I think is particularly funny is that I find the campaign, "science" and ending to be BETTER than those of Destiny, particularly when you consider how little thought/money was obviously put into them. It's also great fun role-playing in the lobbies e.g. "DIE IMC FASCIST SCUM, REVENGE FOR GRAVES BLAH BLAH BLAH". Whereas everything in Destiny is "OK, let's cheese that dude again... hope I get good drops... fucking shards... now not enough shards... farming at Loot Cave 3.0... patrol mission... kill Sepiks Prime for the 120th time..."

novicius
February 3rd, 2015, 04:21 AM
No, I mean it's 1990's multiplayer (like CoD & the Battlefield series) in the sense that there's a simple stack of PvP maps and a pre-game lobby; it's not trying to simulate an Open World.

The action is certainly dynamic as advertised. I really like getting out and shooting alongside my mech! I will say that I find myself pushing the wall-running angle tho', forcing myself to look for buildings, roofs, ledges and windows to Parkour! up on/into. Seriously, the number of folks that are wall-running in most of the matches I've been in can be counted in single digits.

What I think is particularly funny is that I find the campaign, "science" and ending to be BETTER than those of Destiny, particularly when you consider how little thought/money was obviously put into them. It's also great fun role-playing in the lobbies e.g. "DIE IMC FASCIST SCUM, REVENGE FOR GRAVES BLAH BLAH BLAH". Whereas everything in Destiny is "OK, let's cheese that dude again... hope I get good drops... fucking shards... now not enough shards... farming at Loot Cave 3.0... patrol mission... kill Sepiks Prime for the 120th time..."
The presentation of Titanfall is definitely great, no argument here. :up: :up:

I am fuzzy on the new universe -- are we fighting on a single world? Multiple worlds? One continent? Etc. Having a bit more space-to-ground-to-space transitions (if that's the case) would be cool. Maybe starting drops from the Fleet, etc.? Just saying that it's pretty damn fuzzy on the details here. Really, while I've played all of the Campaign maps, the individual chapters of the story is lost in the fog of war... (http://titanfall.wikia.com/wiki/Titanfall) #justmoregrimoirecards

novicius
February 3rd, 2015, 07:53 AM
Whereas everything in Destiny is "OK, let's cheese that dude again... hope I get good drops... fucking shards... now not enough shards... farming at Loot Cave 3.0... patrol mission... kill Sepiks Prime for the 120th time..."
Also Titanfall has the same repeating asnine quests -- how many times have you refueled The Redeye? Or lost it and had the fucker blown up?? :lol:

Both games have linear stories that you can replay. #shrug

novicius
February 3rd, 2015, 11:46 AM
Other thoughts:

:: Militia leader MacAllen has been in hiding for 15 years... is that after the Titan Wars? Or are we playing through the Titan Wars? Seems like the start of Titan Wars II.

:: Would be cool to have a few levels piloting the jump-capable Hornet multirole air/space superiority fighters, both on bombing runs against SAM sites as well as for/against the IMS Sentinel cruiser during or at the end of the "Get Barker" level.

:: No details whatsover on the final fight between IMC Sergeant Blisk and Militia frontman MacAllen? Really?? :rolleyes:

Alan P
February 3rd, 2015, 02:11 PM
This is quite interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SvvX_EDWYI

There's also a 'Final hours of Titanfall' app thingy but it's paid for. £1.69 on PC, not sure about iPad etc.

http://www.finalhoursoftitanfall.com/

Yw-slayer
February 4th, 2015, 05:53 AM
Also Titanfall has the same repeating asnine quests -- how many times have you refueled The Redeye? Or lost it and had the fucker blown up?? :lol:

Both games have linear stories that you can replay. #shrug

But Titanfall doesn't shove the stupid ass story in your face. Charge around the maps, kill shit and blow stuff up. The story is dressing and isn't that important, but because there isn't much postulation it's actually more interesting than the same Dinklage/Eris shit cutscene crap. Plus even the ending is better than that of Destiny.

novicius
February 4th, 2015, 06:40 AM
Can't argue there -- the story is indeed a distant 2nd place to the action in Titanfall. :assclown:

::

The weapon selection is bare-bones as mentioned earlier but that's not really turning out to be a bad thing. Respawn Inc. has built in some good options for each Primary gun (scopes, extended mags, silencers, etc.) and the action is meaty; Secondary weapons cannot be modified. The Secondary weapon B3 Wingman revolver is sad, tho' -- Destiny's revolver action is significantly better (if not significantly exaggerated :p). But the basic Assault Rifle has a good voice and has been my main tool of destruction. :up:

Finally unlocked the Ogre mech... not that much different from the medium Atlas. I am really enjoying the duality of play, the action and stealthing kills like a camping punk bitch! :lol:

novicius
February 4th, 2015, 07:19 AM
The best thing about it is the jumping and wall-running, which makes it a much more dynamic game where the environment is not merely used for cover. The vehicle transitions, and the option to play ALONGSIDE your vehicle, are just the icing on the cake.
Full agreement here, BTW. :up: :up:

The action of this game is really, really wonderful. The action is superior to Destiny. Definitely not arguing that. I want to go deeper in the Frontier's world, sadly -- it has a great "Firefly with mechs" vibe. #titanfallmmo!!

Yw-slayer
February 4th, 2015, 07:40 AM
Yeah, I do think that they could have done a lot more with it. Given that it was ex-IW staff setting up a new company, I think they were right to focus on the game mechanics. I expect there'll be more of a storyline in relation to Titanfall 2.

GreatScawt
February 4th, 2015, 08:31 AM
Co-op campaign Titanfall is my wet dream... not this MP "campaign", though still fun.

novicius
February 4th, 2015, 08:38 AM
TITANFALL + MINECRAFT + ANIMAL CROSSING :hard:

21Kid
February 4th, 2015, 03:48 PM
I need to pop this back in and try the new game modes. :up:

novicius
February 6th, 2015, 07:14 AM
Kid, I'll be on for quite awhile tonight. :cool:

::

Had some good times last night. Tried the Kraber-AP sniper rifle last night -- wow, do I suck with that thing! :lol: Back to the Longbow-DMR semiautomatic sniper for me.

Neither weapon is any good in a close-range fight. Makes me rely on the B3 Wingman revolver which I *want* to love but it's just letting me down over and over again :sadbanana: -- it doesn't have near enough power to justify it's slow ROF, reload and short range.

Yw-slayer
February 6th, 2015, 08:27 AM
That's why you gotta swap from time to time, bro!

Try the smart pistol. Such good fun.

novicius
February 6th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Yep, I gotta -- I'm just not getting any forward progress done with the B3. :smh:

GreatScawt
March 12th, 2015, 05:28 AM
The season pass is free as part of their 1 year anniversary celebration. I snatched that up immediately.

You can grab it on Xbox.com/Smartglass or Origin for PC.

Yw-slayer
March 12th, 2015, 07:02 AM
Damn. I should get it.

Yw-slayer
November 1st, 2016, 10:52 PM
So, I've bought and installed Titanfall 2 on my main work and home computers. I think you guys can see where this is going. :lol:

But seriously - should I play Titanfall 2 SP or Black Ops 3 SP first? As a rule I always finish SP in a game before going to MP, and I have little interest in playing Black Ops 3 MP as I simply can't compete with teenagers and college students who have tons of time to play.

21Kid
November 2nd, 2016, 05:52 AM
I only played BLOPS3 MP. I forgot it even had a SP campaign. :lol: I heard BF1 has a great SP campaign. ;)

I liked TF1, but it only had MP. Sooooooo, I have no idea what #2 will be like.

I think you can see where I'm going with my opinion.

Yw-slayer
November 2nd, 2016, 06:52 AM
Heh. TF1 had SP of a sort. I did finish it. Then in every MP lobby, to get our teams fired up we would say things like "PREPARE TO DIE, MILITIA SCUM" or "FASCIST IMC PIGS". :lol: You'd be surprised at how many people joined in the name-calling.

21Kid
November 2nd, 2016, 08:46 AM
No I wouldn't.

Yw-slayer
November 2nd, 2016, 10:01 AM
I guess the rubbish storyline makes you feel more like an action hero.

Speaking of which, I've now played about 5-6 BlOps3 missions. Not bad. :up:

novicius
June 23rd, 2017, 06:02 AM
Necroposting like a mofo -- reinstalled Titanfall and all the expansion packs yesterday. :finger:

Found this to get back up to speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au6XkjWa8-I

Frontier Defense is a "new" gametype that came out after I had stopped playing. It's basically Horde Mode: a four-player co-op where we defend a structure while getting rushed by ever tougher waves of baddies. The only real good co-op gametype in TF and apparently it isn't in TF2, heh.

The game still looks good and I still love the Western Mechs. The action is still really good IMO, even after a layoff. But old complaints still remain: namely that there isn't an open world attached to this game.

Forget a single player campaign, just some open vistas on these Frontier worlds to traverse from site to site would be great. Much of Destiny's character comes from just the jetbike riding on each planet's surface and it would be great to take a Militia Titan off and go patrolling.

Ah well, we gots what we gots. #shrug

21Kid
June 23rd, 2017, 09:21 AM
Sorry I couldn't get on last night. We have friends visiting. That co-op mode sounds fun. (Mainly because I suck at PvP ;))

novicius
June 26th, 2017, 07:20 AM
Kid & I did get some Frontier Defense going on Friday night. :up: :up:

It was a good time but we didn't really get to strategize much as I was busy relaying Kid the various commands on how to best jockey his Mech, place turrets, etc.

I'm looking forward to the nights where we're moving smoothly like a team connected at the hips. #sex

novicius
June 26th, 2017, 07:23 AM
Does Titanfall 2 achieve 6K resolution on the XBONE X? (https://gamerant.com/titanfall-2-6k-xbox-one-x/undefined)

Naturally Spencer's statement doesn't actually confirm that Titanfall 2 will hit that kind of resolution but it also isn't an outright denial when he had the chance to shut down a rumor that he (might) know as false.
Not that this means anything to anyone, I just thought it was noteworthy... :assclown:

Kchrpm
June 26th, 2017, 09:29 AM
Too bad that mode isn't in TF2, sounds fun (and I only have TF2).

21Kid
June 26th, 2017, 10:55 AM
It wasn't originally on the first one, so maybe they'll add it later.

novicius
June 26th, 2017, 11:06 AM
Yeah if TF2 announced Frontier Defense, I'd probably invest. :up:

novicius
June 27th, 2017, 12:01 PM
I've been checking out a few vids of TF2 and I remember why I was wary when it first launched: shit looks crazy. :twitch:

Swords? Crazy paint jobs? Stealth? I'm not sure I want JDM-y0 manga-style kung-fu robots in my plodding Western mech combat...

Kchrpm
July 18th, 2017, 10:59 AM
4-player co-op added to Titanfall 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE7_tVG_t28

novicius
July 18th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Very cool -- here's hoping that 'Frontier Shield' is also a little more varied than TF1's simplistic 'Frontier Defense'. :up:

GreatScawt
July 18th, 2017, 11:17 AM
YESSSSSS. I love TF2, and Coop is all I wanted after playing the very good story.

21Kid
July 18th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Hmmmm.... And it's only $18 at gamefly right now... for their < $20 sale.

novicius
July 19th, 2017, 05:20 AM
Reading the details, TF2 Frontier Defense sounds identical to TF1 Frontier Defense.

GreatScawt
July 25th, 2017, 05:52 PM
Just released today. I grabbed it quick and played around on Easy. About what I expected! Pretty fun and allowed me to jump in to another Titan that I don't normally touch.

Also... prioritize the Nuke Titans. :lol:

Yw-slayer
May 31st, 2019, 08:41 AM
Just left The Dome in Titanfall 2. AlanP was right, this is one of the best Single player experiences ever. The innovation on display is incredible.

Rare White Ape
June 1st, 2019, 12:53 PM
Wait til you get to the time travel bit.