PDA

View Full Version : Me fail English. That's unpossible.

FaultyMario
March 26th, 2015, 09:02 PM
Ok, kiddos. Serious biznez here.

I need your bizarre energies and your Don Killuminati to devise a 'legal' strategy.

TL-DR - Was refused for a master's b/c I failed teh english. Dug up, Grades have been manipulated.

a) I applied to a master's in Sociology. It's a formally in the National Registry for Quality Graduate Studies, it is therefore a paid-to-study program.

b) I seem to recall there were more than 40 applicants. I was number 41 on the interview list.

c) For around 20 months, from 2008 to 2010, I was a research aide at the same institute. There's a lot of politics involved. I didn't publish much in my time there, but there's a couple of co-authoring credits. As part of my duties I was also a teaching assistant whenever the researchers I was assigned to nominated me, in that regard I taught introductory and intermediate-level classes. Between 2008 and 2014, I also reading comprehension of English texts to anthropology students for 5 semesters.

d) I had previously applied there in 2012, but was offered entrance sans scholarship. Refused the offer because I felt entitled to the same privileges as the rest of the students. Reason given for not being offered scholarship was that my gpa as an undergraduate was low. It is 7.97/10.0, federal funding rules-of-operation establish a minimum of 7.80/10.0, I did not know that at the time.

e) When the list of accepted applicants was published, I interviewed with the coordinator to seek an offer like the one I had had in 2012, but she was adamant, she stated that I had gotten very low grades in 2 exams (spanish and english).

f) Being told that I had low scores lit red lights. Because I'm not proud of my academic record, ever since graduating I have taken exams very seriously, and I've ALWAYS gotten +95%. For example, in 2002 I got 297/300 on the TOEFL CBT, in 2010 my combined TOEFL IBT scores were 114/120. This is not bragging, this is the truth, your honor!

g) I filed a formal request of information with the coordination in december, I have not gotten an answer yet.

h) In January i filed a formal complaint with the federal commission of science and technology, AKA The doodz with da benjamins, Y0. And i also made an inquiry asking for all documents used in the deliberative process thru the access to public information commission.

i) in late february I presented my case to the Human Rights Commission. I argued they violated my constitutional i) right to petition and ii) right to a dignified and fair treatment.

j) Today I -finally- got all documents used in the decision making process. And i got the following grades: interview and research project 7.5/10, spanish 5.5/10, english 7/10. Total 20/30.

k) As i stated above and on my letter to the science commission, against the association of public universities' policy, the exams where done in-house and graded by one person.

l) In one of the minutes I received as part of my public information query, it is stated that of the 3 published criteria, the english exam was voided because very few people passed it. Age and GPA criteria were added.

m) I know from conversations to the staff, that nobody except for the coordinator had access to the exams. And that people like me who didn't have a 8.0 GPA were dropped without a proper look at the grades. I also know that the top rated applicant is an american female who has asked to turn in her lecture reports in english because she is not proficient in spanish, she got 9.8 in her spanish test. There's also a student who got 9.5 in her spanish test that is currently getting 0 (yes, zero), in at least two classes; she had a letter of recommendation from the coordinator herself.

That's all I can remember ATM. Tomorrow I have an appointment with my Human Rights Visitor, what arguments can I use to unravel this travesty?

thesameguy
March 26th, 2015, 11:02 PM
Man, that's a roughness. Do you suspect it was a person or group acting against you, or maybe something innocent like name confusion or a paperwork problem? Reconstructing grades seems like a virtual impossibility unless there is a requirement for keeping the work that earned the grades for some period of time. Do you have any records yourself?

FaultyMario
March 27th, 2015, 02:29 AM
I've been piecing together the grades from all the loose documents I got today. Here's some new information:

For the panel interviews, median score was 7.9 with dispersion at 2.4.
For the english exam, it's a bit wacky because there are a number of no-shows, but if those are taken out, median grade is 7.0 with a dispersion of 2.8.

The exam that was blackboxed returns a median of 8.3 with lesser dispersion, 1.5. There were 4 kids I taught (see letter "c"), 3 of them got accepted, the other one bailed out after just this one exam. Oddly, the lot of them all have better grades than I do. Their grades range from 9.1 to 7.4, all within normal dispersion. Guess who falls lower than 1 SD?

I need help in presenting my argument to the Human Rights commission, I need to give them reasons to further inquiry onto the matter.

FaultyMario
March 27th, 2015, 02:40 AM
Why get the HR commission involved? Well, under Mexican law, faculty members of public schools that are elected to chair are considered authorities and have obligations for every matter except political and electoral rights.

novicius
March 27th, 2015, 04:45 AM
Lawyer up?

JoshInKC
March 27th, 2015, 06:00 AM
That all sounds like complete bullsh*t you're dealing with.
From my position, it seems like point K should be your opening argument, especially if you can get documentation, testimony, or even a signed letter proving that clear-cut policies were violated. If you can establish that as an irrefutable fact, it throws a cloud of doubt over the entire selection process. After that, any/all of the other seeming irregularities (d, g, l, & m) will gain a lot more weight. If possible, I'd make a bullet-point list of those 5 grievances, ideally have documentation on-hand for each one, and lay it all out as cleanly and as well-organized as possible.
Not really knowing how this specific system works at all (ie how political or connected to the university this redress process is), I think it would probably be smart to frame it as a simple, maybe even unintentional failure of the system, as opposed to saying "This coordinator obviously has something against me, look at this shit," -which would be my first impulse. If you've got documentation that backs up your points, it'll show that on it's own, and you'll come across better, as opposed to bitter.

Hope this helps and good luck.

PS: A point for further investigation would maybe be trying to determine if the selection process was biased against you specifically, or if the bias was for other people. If you could get the complete application packets, you might be able to figure that out, and build further arguments from there.

FaultyMario
March 27th, 2015, 06:12 AM
I know of a guy that was turned away because of his age (that's discriminatory behavior), because the coordinator herself told me. I've since figured out who it is and I've tried to get in contact with him, hear his story, maybe he chose not to enroll.

Crazed_Insanity
March 27th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Wait a minute. Forget about English. You scored low with Spanish too? Further, there are people who are not very good with Spanish scored higher than you? How does that work?

If the system is corrupted, it might end up a long fruitless battle. However, it should still be worth fighting for just to bring it to light.

FaultyMario
March 27th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Contacted the human rights people, say it's best to wait for their response. Good, I need time time to back up my claims with evidence.
Right now, I'm going to map the data in SPSS to have a clear characterization of the funky dispersion patterns in Teh exam and contrast them with data from the interviews, which offer the most realistic outlook of how applicants behaved.

And Billi, you bet your ass I'm going to cast light on this cesspool of corruption and illegality.

A little background info, at the end of last year I was so brokenhearted with this load of crap and I had zero interest in pursuing it further, but I went to Mexico City for a seminar on territorial development, and one of the lectures was on social accountability. Which is where I learned most of the things I'm putting to practice, the whole idea that authorities are employed by the people to manage the common resources and ought to do so under the guidance of law, not arbitrariness and free will. While there, I also had the chance to catch up with a friend who went to a program under the same national registry, and she told me that one of her classmates had been a pensioner and he had also gotten paid to study, that there was no age limit because that would have been discriminatory, that opened up my eyes. So if I'm going to fight it I'm in for the win. And I've also decided that being cast off a scientific institution on the grounds that I was unprepared (as it stands, 'my' grades put me in the lower quartile) deserves a truly scientific response.

Crazed_Insanity
March 27th, 2015, 09:03 AM
We're with you dude!

Mexico definitely needs more people like you in order to do away with its corrupt ways! :up:

You know there's really not much that I can do to help other than prayers, right? Anyway, whatever, hope things work out for the best in the end!

FaultyMario
March 27th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Here's the english exam I got 7/10 on:

thesameguy
March 27th, 2015, 10:00 AM
I think Josh has a good approach. You might get further more quickly calling the system out rather than focusing on your particular issue. The only thing, of course, to remember is that when you call a system out things will get political and people will get defensive. You may end up fighting more fights than you want or need to. Going up against entrenched people is always tough and unpredictable... but you may find allies like the age-discriminated guy!

FaultyMario
March 27th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Thanks for reading. If I post endlessly here, it's because this thread serves as a repository for my ideas, and this mock presentation prepares me for the real one. So if you feel like I'm leaving stuff out, please ask, it helps me get a more concise narrative by revealing my own omissions.

The following is a translation from the main minute from the proceedings, it's completely unintelligible in Spanish, and I tried to keep it faithful to the original.

The meeting began by presenting to the attending members of the committee the general list of the 36 applicants, it included the average obtained from the three evaluations: academic interview, Spanish evaluation and English evaluation, as well as comments from the faculty noted on the interview process, from which the following decisions were made:

1) As a first exercise, every final average was reviewed, and all those applicants that did not approve the evaluations were dismissed. From this first filter 30 applicants were left.

2) In accordance with the averages obtained in the English evaluation, the decision was made to dismiss the grade obtained from that evaluation, the average came therefore only from the interview and the Spanish evaluation.

3) Once final averages were obtained, only applicants with an average of 8 were taken into account, leaving a total of 17 applicants, of which it was proceeded to review the comments by the faculty from the interviews and to collate that the Spanish and the interview grades were on the same level, considering 8 as the minimum, this on accordance with what's written in the Graduates Rulebook. This exercise allowed to dismiss two applicants finally leaving 15, of whom, it was reviewed their average and age, leaving at the end 14 accepted applicants, one of them with conditional acceptance due to the fact that it did not obtain the minimum grade in the Spanish examination.

Notes:

1 - If every applicant who did not approve either of the evaluations was dismissed, there wouldn't be 30 applicants left. If the minimum is defined at 6, then only 15 applicants are left. If as they say, they went for a minimum of 8, then only 9 people would be left. How they were left with 30 people is a mystery.

2 - This one's tricky, because from the data I've collected, the means/medians/applicants below the minimum were: Interview - 7.03/7.90/18; Spanish - 7.81/8.30/15; English - 6.00/7.00/22.
How can they violate their on published call on selection criteria if there's no statistical relevance, what was the motivation behind the *abnormal* policy change?

3 - If that complicated method were to be applied (no one allowed if, after English was taken out, a grade lower than 8 was obtained on either criteria), 4 of the 15 accepted applicants would not qualify.

3b - In the Rulebook for Graduate Studies (actual name, not the one listed in the minute), there is no mention of averages, grades or minimum weighs for anything; It clearly states however that all selection processes must obey their respective published calls.

Yw-slayer
March 27th, 2015, 09:47 PM
Lawyer up?

I agree.

Godson
March 28th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Give them the D