PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Continental

KillerB
March 29th, 2015, 09:36 PM
Now that's more like it. (http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/30/lincoln-continental-concept-new-york-official-photos-videos/)

Check out the chrome in the interior! Very 60s.

Godson
March 29th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Straight mother-fuckin' gangster. I love it.

neanderthal
March 30th, 2015, 12:50 AM
The interior is a little too chintzy with that over the top chrome treatment IMO.

More subtle wheels, more conventional looking lights rather than those Acura lookalike abortions, a tidied up grille, regular door handles, and it's a hit in my estimation.

Phil_SS
March 30th, 2015, 05:31 AM
I like it! Let's hope they don't chickin out.

And if they really want to make a splash, make a convertible. The death of the fullsize convertible is just unacceptable.

Kchrpm
March 30th, 2015, 06:02 AM
The really over-the-top stuff may just be because it's a concept, or may be because (according to a related article) this is really a play for them in China, where being large, opulent and ostentatious is very important.

Kchrpm
March 30th, 2015, 06:10 AM
My mother owned two Continentals back to back, switched to a Taurus when they were no longer available new. She saw this new one on TV this morning, and is "in love again."

KillerB
March 30th, 2015, 07:22 AM
The interior is a little too chintzy with that over the top chrome treatment IMO.

More subtle wheels, more conventional looking lights rather than those Acura lookalike abortions, a tidied up grille, regular door handles, and it's a hit in my estimation.

Ugh, not everything needs to be a BMW or Merc. A little more variation in style on our luxury cars would be nice for a change!

thesameguy
March 30th, 2015, 08:41 AM
I agree. I wouldn't have twenty years ago, but every time I drive the Fleetwood I am reminded what luxury cars used to be, and it wasn't bad. I've long thought Lincoln or Cadillac should give a nod to their roots. I'm happy to see it happen.

Edit: And it damned well better not be FWD. i'll settle for transverse AWD as the SHO, but not straight up FWD.

Sad, little man
March 30th, 2015, 04:35 PM
It's pretty cool. I'm not sure about those seats though. Are they trying to be like a cross between a Recaro and a Lay-Z-Boy? Mark "My enthusiasm is totally not an act" Fields has already confirmed that the production version will also be called Continental.

Lincoln seems like it's kind of floundering to me. I mean, it seems like they just finally established the split wing grille across the whole line, and now they spring this on us, as well as saying that this is the new look that will spread across the line. And, they fully committed to the "MK" naming scheme, only to do this. If they're trying to establish an identity, it doesn't seem like they can decide what it should be.

It does have LASER high beams though, so that's cool.

If recent history is any indication, this is very close to what the production car will look like, aside from the interior and the things that simply won't fly on a production car, like the tiny mirrors. See the Lincoln MKZ and MKC concepts from years past.

KillerB
March 30th, 2015, 05:21 PM
Staying committed to a plan that isn't working is folly.

As a further riff on the question of taste, I have been seeing an alarming number of Mercs with illuminated three-pointed stars in the grille. I'd hoped that this was some weird local trend, but... nope. It's an official MB accessory. You can see for yourself on their website.

thesameguy
March 30th, 2015, 07:26 PM
I can see if for myself every night! We now have two Benzes with that feature in the parking lot. With no other gimmicks to add, accent lighting is always a winner. :up: :lol:

I am largely indifferent about Lincoln's grille - though I really do like the MKZ - but their naming convention was redonkulous. Like Acura's but less well done. I am interested in the idea of Lincoln bucking luxury car trend and using real names - it seems to be working just fine for Porsche. Granted, Porsche has a lot less to prove and they'd probably sell cars regardless of what they were called, but Lincoln has more than the Mark cars to be proud of. IMHO, they should work their asses off to give us a big four-place convertible to go up against the Bentley. I think people would dig that shit, and with modern hard top technology they could do it every bit as awesomely as they were doing it in the '60s.

MR2 Fan
March 30th, 2015, 09:15 PM
Contintental looks cool, even though I've never been a fan of Lincolns.

Yes, the stupid naming conventions that Acura, Lincoln and oh, let's not forget Infiniti now with QEVERYTHING!!! is just stupid.

The359
March 30th, 2015, 09:25 PM
I like the current Lincolns ever since they came out with the Zephyr, bar the big nasty SUVs. This thing however looks like a Jag.

novicius
March 31st, 2015, 07:47 AM
Like the shape, dislike the front-end. :down:

I would rather have seen a variation on the menace of the wider grille with inset headlights, ala' a classic '67 Continental, IMO.
http://images.classiccars.com/classifieds/109853_818773_1967_Lincoln_Continental.jpg
But then I'm old. :finger:

thesameguy
March 31st, 2015, 09:02 AM
Like the grilles on the MKwhatevers and the Navigator?

http://best-carz.com/data_images/gallery/models/lincoln-mkx/lincoln-mkx-08.jpg

http://lincolnmodels.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Photo-of-Lincoln-Navigator-2008.jpg

I could get behind that, especially if they managed to wrap up a sweet implementation of Ford's active shutters in it.

novicius
March 31st, 2015, 11:32 AM
Ok sure but big round quad-headlights surrounded by sculpted headlight concavities and no lower grille. Looks like it's grinning with a mouthful of platinum.

neanderthal
March 31st, 2015, 06:20 PM
Thoughts on this Continental vs the Cadillac CT6?

KillerB
March 31st, 2015, 07:07 PM
Well the CT6 is a production car so not quite a fair comparison. Based on what I see, I want the CT6 exterior with the Continental interior, except I want the CT6 wood dash and LCD screen rear view mirror.

...and the Continental's name. No more alphanumerics!

neanderthal
March 31st, 2015, 09:16 PM
I really like the CT6 although i'm not the biggest fan of the super angular styling.

My thoughts on the Continental still stand; less gauche wheels, a slightly less overt/ trying too hard grille, normal looking lights, and no flashy chrome interior.

Chrysler has the 300. I'd like to see it become the smaller sibling to a larger more opulent range topper. And for the record, I really like the 300. I mean really like the 300.

I'm glad to see GM (and Ford) are back in the luxury full size segment again after giving it up to sell trucks.

neanderthal
March 31st, 2015, 09:19 PM
...and the Continental's name. No more alphanumerics!

I was against the alpha numerics as well until I read JdN's explanation about traditional luxury car names often being difficult to pronounce and not having any significant emotional meaning in international markets; mostly China.

Then it made more sense.

JoshInKC
April 1st, 2015, 04:14 AM
I was against the alpha numerics as well until I read JdN's explanation about traditional luxury car names often being difficult to pronounce and not having any significant emotional meaning in international markets; mostly China.

Then it made more sense.
Link?

neanderthal
April 1st, 2015, 07:52 PM
Link?

In the comments, here. (http://jalopnik.com/ask-cadillac-president-johan-de-nysschen-anything-1687372646)

macanamera: Could you explain the alphanumeric naming schemes? Even to me, an enthusiast, Infiniti's new model designations are indecipherable. I have no idea what anything is anymore...

I can't help but to think that taking Cadillac down that road might be a mistake.

Johan de Nysschen>macanamera
2/23/15 12:08pm

Hi. I don't really feel like explaining Infiniti's naming scheme, but I'll do it anyway. Q is for cars and coupes, QX for crossovers and SUVs. The bigger the number, the more expensive the car. Simple.

As far as Cadillac is concerned, we are planning a dramatic expansion to the future Cadillac product range, and we simply could not find room to create names for these cars within the existing Cadillac naming convention.

Cadillac also is going global, and so we have to use names that resonate with customers around the world. And it is now an entrenched phenomenon that luxury car buyers expect alphanumeric names to indicate the hierarchy of models. We will use CT2, CT3, CT4, et cetera for the sedans and coupes, and we will use XT2, XT3, XT4 et cetera for the crossovers and SUVs, besides Escalade, which continues unchanged. We considered the romantic, historical names, such as Eldorado, DeVille, et cetera, but these names struggled to gain traction with our international audience and our conclusion was that we already have a romantic, emotional and historical name in Cadillac.

macanamera>Johan de Nysschen
2/23/15 12:40pm

Thanks for your time!

Edited for clarity.

thesameguy
April 1st, 2015, 08:07 PM
So I guess that means there are potentially five cars smaller than the CT6 and three cars larger? :)

I kinda appreciate his "this is all bullshit we're starting over" approach - but I question how useful it'll be. ;)