PDA

View Full Version : Hi(er)-Fi Office Speakers

Yw-slayer
April 1st, 2015, 02:20 AM
I am going to either move or re-do my office at some point. I am seriously thinking about wall-mounting speakers (with appropriate cabling) so as to save some space.

While I like the KEF sound and am open to B&Ws, these look like a good option: http://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/q-bt3/review

My dad has recently changed his speakers and has some ProAcs of some sort sitting around. I think they're Tablettes but they could be Response D1s or DTwos. I wouldn't mind using them (for freez) but I suspect they might be too heavy to wall or ceiling mount.

For amps, something like this Naim Uniti2 (or the lower-end ones such as the UnitiLite/UnitiQute2 if I can get away with it, depending I suppose on the speakers it drives) looks good? https://www.naimaudio.com/product/naimuniti-2 The UnitiQute2 looks good, even though it doesn't apparently act as a USB-DAC, since I could put my music on my WD 4TB MyCloud NAS and run Spotify Connect off that. I also have an ipad in my room that I could use as the remote. However, I would probably end up giving up is something like playing music off Tidal from my desktop when it launches here, unless I somehow manage to run a digital cable from my computer to the Naim. But neither of my computers (Thinkpad W520, Surface Pro 3) has one. Using the ipad as a digital source might be a good idea (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audiophile-play-ipad-streaming-music-services)?

I could of course go Bose, or wall-mount something like a Zeppelin, but the former would be overpaying and while the latter is not, I think, "Hi-fi" (although neither are my current, desk-mounted Creative Gigaworks T20 Mk2s). The advantage of something like a Zeppelin is that it's an all-in-one solution such that I wouldn't need space for an amp, and I do like the way it looks (I won't need to use the ipod dock).

My source would be my computer, almost certainly hooked up to a DAC of some sort, as it is as present. I would rarely - if ever - need or want to use Bluetooth.

thesameguy
April 1st, 2015, 08:48 AM
Not having seen your office, I like the Zeppelin approach. I don't think you're going to get any real acoustic benefit from "doing it right" versus "doing it okay." To some degree, the self-contained stuff feels a little more modern and a little less - I don't know the word, but like trying too hard. Not that you don't know what you're doing, but I see a lot of offices where someone just said "get me the best" without having clue one what to do with it. When I walk into somewhere with high-end AV gear in their office, it's always the first thing I think. Maybe it's just me. :lol:

Kchrpm
April 1st, 2015, 09:08 AM
I have some really high quality sound for my office.

http://store.sony.com/SNYNA_27/pimg/pSNYNA-MDRXB950BT~B_main_v500.png

They probably cost less than the Monster cables you'll get for your setup :(

But I look forward to living vicariously through your future thumping system :up:

Yw-slayer
April 1st, 2015, 05:35 PM
My current place is around 150sq ft, somewhere between a 3:2 and 4:3 aspect ratio actually. If I move, it'll be to a slightly bigger room, maybe 200sq ft, probably similar. I was going to get it done up properly as currently I'm using adapter furniture for my previous office, and have been for about 6 years, but it's not ideal. Put it this way, I take the view that it's better to pay more first and save later rather than pay bits here and there. Maybe I'll take pics once the final location is determined.

The Unitiqute 2 reportedly goes well with the small and wall-mountable Neat Acoustic Iota speakers, so I'll drop by the dealer for Neat in HK and see what they suggest and/or can offer.

But given how small my office is (or is likely to be), and given that I will have neighbours who will complain if it's too loud, I think the reality is that something like a Zeppelin, even if it's hooked up via Airplay, is probably good enough. The Zeppelin I bought my dad for his birthday a few years ago sounds fine in their living room, which is at least 3x the size. I can also always run extra-long AUX and/or digital cables from it to an outlet somewhere and output through that if I want max quality. I am also keen on an all-in-one as it would mean not faffing around so much, and saving space, which can be used for files, books and other important stuff like my 1:18 AutoArt models, supplements, and my Flying Fuck helicopter.

Keith, I have 2 pairs of Audio Technica headphones in my room (including my favourite AD500s) but I can't and don't always want to use them, particularly if I'm walking around or tidying up stuff. Also, no, I will NOT be buying Monster cables.

Yw-slayer
April 13th, 2015, 07:47 PM
As I had to return the borrowed DAC, now I'm looking into getting a DAC for the notebook to output. Hung up on the Meridian Explorer as that can do double-duty as a headphone amp, but the v2 doesn't have the digital out.

#firstworldproblems?

thesameguy
April 13th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Digital out is probably dying, on account of The Studios and HDMI. Maybe not worth worrying too much about?

Yw-slayer
April 13th, 2015, 11:51 PM
Well, if I'm going to use something like the Unitiqute 2 then surely I'd still need it. I could rely on UPnP for my local library of FLAC and MP3 files, but while it has Spotify Connect, I don't think it supports Tidal yet, and I can't see how else (other than digital) I'd get a high-quality stream over from the PC.

thesameguy
April 14th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Am confused... you'd need a digital in to get sound from the PC to the DAC.. digital out would only be useful for connecting it to another amp... or did I miss something?

Yw-slayer
April 14th, 2015, 10:52 PM
I was thinking usb to dac/transporter then digital out to the unitiqute 2 and speakers or headphone out from the dac.

thesameguy
April 15th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Ah, got it. Why not just optical or digital out from the PC straight to the Unitiqute? If your computer doesn't have that, why not one of the SoundBlaster cards/boxes? They are reasonably inexpensive and get you toslink or coax digital to the Unitiqute.

Yw-slayer
April 18th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I'll probably have to get a box as it's a notebook. The X-Fi boxes would seem to be good enough for my purposes.

Yw-slayer
April 28th, 2015, 11:10 PM
I had a look at some hi-fi shops nearby. Some options that have been mentioned are:

- Paradigm wall-mount speakers
- B&W 686 S2's on "sale" (i.e. discount only from MSRP but not that much cheaper) paired with a Rotel RA1520 which really IS on sale at around US$700.

I'll keep looking as I'm going to be stuck in this room for around another year.

thesameguy
April 29th, 2015, 08:53 AM
I hate to even say this, but have you considered Sonos bits?

Yw-slayer
April 29th, 2015, 02:11 PM
No. At that rate, why not just get a Zeppelin?

thesameguy
April 29th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Primarily because the Sonos doesn't need a source, whereas a straightup Airplay speaker like the Zeppelin Air does. You can point Sonos at several types of sources and then remove the pointer from the equation which is nice. It also gives you the ability to use your phone or a computer as the pointer so you aren't limited to apps or what you might have on your phone - but it still lets you do that if you'd like. I've actually never done a head to head in terms of quality (BT vs. AP vs. Sonos) but a guy I end up working with semi-frequently says there is no quality comparison to Sonos. Of course, the Sonos speaker hardware ain't all that so it could actually end up being YMMV based on the actual implementation... eg, a high end AirPlay or BT speaker vs. a Sonos Amp connected to BS speakers. :)

Yw-slayer
April 29th, 2015, 11:10 PM
That's true, I did look into them while on the john after you made the suggestion. Although I was looking more at the all-in-ones, like the Play5 or whatever.

I'd hope that Sonos quality is better than AptX Bluetooth, but who knows.

On the plus side, I just realised that I should re-setup the Logitech Squeezebox Duet that I have sitting at home as I can now use it with my Xperia Z Ultra tablet as a controller (I think our eldest misplaced the original controller some time back) to stream not only all my FLAC CD rips, but also Tidal and all sorts of fun shit through it via our floorstanding KEF Qs. Should sound SLIGHTLY better than AptX from the Sony to an AptX bluetooth out aux-in cable to the amp. WIN.

Yw-slayer
April 30th, 2015, 06:50 AM
I can't find the Duet remote (it went missing about 2 years ago in this tip of an apartment). The fucking receiver won't setup without it using the UDAP roundabout method. I resent being forced to buy more shit just to use something that I already have. This is fucking ridiculous. Fuck you Logitech.

Thanks for pointing me to Sonos, though. The Connect looks like a good option for general streaming, with full control of FLAC and all the usual streaming services via Android/ios/Windows. I'll pick one up for home, and if we can find the Squeezebox remote then maybe I'll move it to the office. If not, then I can always get another Connect for that. Then IF we find it after that I can use the Squeezebox in the bedroom, or just sell the bloody EOL thing...

thesameguy
April 30th, 2015, 08:41 AM
Good deal. I find Sonos getting thrown around by "audio consultants" frequently because it sort of is a magic bullet. You can put Sonos into a lot of equations and it'll be fine. Of course the other side of the coin is that Sonos isn't *always* the answer, but presumably the profit is so great on Sonos it's always recommended. I've seen people get sold Sonos systems who just didn't need to spend the money, and they end up with a complicated gizmo when a simple BT speaker would have readily done the job for half the price.

What is very nice about Sonos, however, is that if you are somewhat of an audiophile you can turn your one room Sonos deal into a whole house system painlessly over time... Just keep adding more Connects. or Plays. It becomes a much nicer situation than a bunch of discrete BT or AP speakers littered around the place.

In your situation specifically, the ability to stream from a wide variety of sources rather than just a cell phone makes it a good fit. This last Saturday I spent working was updating a whole house audio system and that included a Connect, primarily for its ability to stream internet radio. Brought it to the front of my mind. :)

Yw-slayer
April 30th, 2015, 05:27 PM
Yes, and with the Connect it has optical out so can be piped into a higher Fi system!

I've found that rip caster sell new Duet remotes so I'll get one of those first, but with the Connect it looks like my source for my office is set. Might even end up buying the Connect from rip caster as Sonos don't officially sell locally. Oh wait, found the Singaporean distributor ships to HK. Sorted.

thesameguy
April 30th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Yep, we used the optical out to connect the Connect to a Crestron system. :up:

Yw-slayer
May 6th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Good news: Someone found the Duet controller.

Bad News: I had ordered a replacement, now trying to cancel it.

Worse News: The joys of setting up EOL hardware are wearing thin.

Yw-slayer
May 6th, 2015, 10:53 PM
Better news: I was able to cancel the Duet controller order.

More Bad News: The Duet's receiver is acting up. Some research shows that it's likely that the wifi card is loose or messed up since the ethernet port lights don't light up even after a hard reset and swapping cables and ports. Now I need to buy a Torx T10 screwdriver to open it up and mess around. I suppose it's cheaper than buying a new Sonos Connect, and I DO have all the hardware (save for the wifi card). On the other hand, if it's screwed then I think I can ebay the receiver and put the money toward a Sonos.

Great News: I got fed up of my router messing up the internet everytime I rebooted it (one of the things I tried to get the receiver working) and 5 minutes on tech support with the ISP revealed that I shouldn't plug more than the router cable and the cable TV cable into the modem. Goodby "IP CONFLICT" problems!!

Yw-slayer
May 7th, 2015, 11:45 PM
Opened up the Squeezebox as I concluded that it wasn't even connecting to the network. I think the Wifi card is dead, as when I pull it the Ethernet port lights up, but the Receiver throws an error code. After some messing around I pulled it out and have ordered a USED similar card from the UK to try and get it working. That + Torx screwdriver set set me back about USD40ish.

In the meantime, I've gotten fed up and have ordered a Sonos Connect.

thesameguy
May 8th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Haha... BTDT. Old new tech is about the worst. :)

Yw-slayer
May 8th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Yeah. To think that I got this when 1tb HDDs were reasonably high-end. And that shitty QNAP NAS...