PDA

View Full Version : Random's Unified Fleet Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Random
January 15th, 2014, 09:14 AM
You know how you know you're getting old? When you start having thoughts like, "you know, a minivan would be pretty practical...we could move lumber in it, we could go camping, we could..."

Arg! :mad:

Kchrpm
January 15th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Man, minivans are kind of awesome when you need something with utility. And then you don't feel guilty loading them up with safety/entertainment stuff.

KillerB
January 15th, 2014, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't mind having one as long as I didn't have to drive it every day. My parents' T&C is pretty sweet. Especially at $8k or so off sticker. :P

thesameguy
January 15th, 2014, 01:02 PM
I guess I'm the opposite... the minivan is what I would buy if I wanted that utility and did have to drive it everyday. If you don't, I can't think of a single reason not to buy a Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban. If you have to drive something ponderous, but don't have to drive it every day, you might as well get something that can get off the road, tow stuff, and crush stuff. I think something like that T&C is a fine intersection of intense utility, respectable drive, and good enough fuel economy... it's the compromise of utility and daily practicality. If you don't need the latter, focus on the former. :) As for getting old, I've had a big ol' hard on for a 4WD Astro or supercharged Previa since the '90s!

KillerB
January 15th, 2014, 01:09 PM
I dunno, Tahoes really don't have much space in them, and Suburbans still don't have the vertical space a minivan does. With Stow 'n' Go, you've got a flat floor cargo can and 7 passenger vehicle with no schlepping or storage of big bulky seats.

To me the advantage of full size SUVs are basically down to 4WD and towing. I wouldn't put anything too dirty for a minivan in a Suburban. I'd actually rather a pickup truck, or a utility trailer - but then, a minivan will comfortably tow a small utility trailer.

My ultimate "don't need to drive it every day" vehicle would be an Isuzu NPR or similar truck with a nice long stake bed or car hauler...

Anyway, I also like those Previas, or first gen Mazda MPV 4WD... But what I'd really like is a conversion can based on the new Ram ProMaster!

speedpimp
January 19th, 2014, 03:30 PM
An NPR is a very good choice. If it's a diesel would you have to smog it? They've also sold a butt load of them with 5.7 and 6.0 V8s(auto only though).

TheBenior
January 19th, 2014, 04:34 PM
I dunno, Tahoes really don't have much space in them, and Suburbans still don't have the vertical space a minivan does. With Stow 'n' Go, you've got a flat floor cargo can and 7 passenger vehicle with no schlepping or storage of big bulky seats.

To me the advantage of full size SUVs are basically down to 4WD and towing. I wouldn't put anything too dirty for a minivan in a Suburban. I'd actually rather a pickup truck, or a utility trailer - but then, a minivan will comfortably tow a small utility trailer.

I'm in agreement with that. I sat in the back seat of a Tahoe the other day, and while hip room was good, leg room wasn't anything special. The cargo area also isn't all that impressive unless you load above the window line.

Kchrpm
January 20th, 2014, 10:03 AM
You could get Ford's new "wagon"

http://www.ford.com/crossovers/transitconnectwagon/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2012/11/2014-ford-transit-connect-wagon-live---opt2.jpg

Random
January 20th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Neat! I like the aircraft-style overhead bins.

They are going to get reamed in the comparos for only having a 4-cyl in a full-sized minivan, though. They need to stick a small diesel in it.

speedpimp
January 20th, 2014, 02:59 PM
At least they aren't offering the 1.0 L Ecoboost 3 cyl.

KillerB
January 22nd, 2014, 08:24 AM
What's the width on the TC? It looks a little long and thin in long-wheelbase version.

My parents considered waiting for one of these, but there was no getting my father into one once he saw the horsepower numbers vs the T&C. The Transit Connect seems to come closest to the Stow-n-Go seating in the Chrysler, though.

Godson
January 22nd, 2014, 08:32 AM
I guess I'm the opposite... the minivan is what I would buy if I wanted that utility and did have to drive it everyday. If you don't, I can't think of a single reason not to buy a Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban. If you have to drive something ponderous, but don't have to drive it every day, you might as well get something that can get off the road, tow stuff, and crush stuff. I think something like that T&C is a fine intersection of intense utility, respectable drive, and good enough fuel economy... it's the compromise of utility and daily practicality. If you don't need the latter, focus on the former. :) As for getting old, I've had a big ol' hard on for a 4WD Astro or supercharged Previa since the '90s!

Best friend's family had an AWD astro. Thing was a blast in the snow. I would have loved to drop in a SBC in one for shits and giggles.

Another buddy has an old previa. I don't know if it is S/C'd or not. He uses it specifically for the purpose of hauling shit.

KB. The transit connect is nowhere near as nice a vehicle as the TC. Extreme utilitarian, but next to nothing for comfort, or even feeling nice.

Godson
January 22nd, 2014, 08:35 AM
Actually, I meant that for the previous Transit Connect. The new one looks the biz.

Random
March 7th, 2014, 08:51 AM
This should surprise no one: a stock, low-miles Camry passes smog with flying colors. :lol:

0.00% measured CO, 0 ppm NO, and 2 ppm HC (the car was cold).

thesameguy
March 7th, 2014, 09:33 AM
As much as I don't want to say it, knowing what sort of smog numbers modern cars can return it's kinda sickening to think about old cars. c900s were considered to run very clean in their day, but even a very healthy c900 will return a fraction of a percent CO, a couple dozen HCs, and ~100ppm NOx.

Some day I want to get the Falcon smog tested, just for the fun of it. :D

Random
April 3rd, 2014, 03:17 PM
Tokico's got a new US distributor--Mark @ shox.com is going to find out if any Camry parts have made it across the water yet. :cool:

Sometimes it's good to procrastinate; the KYBs I got last summer are still sitting in their boxes... :lol:

Sad, little man
April 4th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Why stop at the transit connect? You need a long wheelbase, extended body, high roof Transit wagon.

15 passenger seating and has standing headroom for a 6' 5" individual!

http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=409&d=1396661220

Random
April 4th, 2014, 05:59 PM
5'5" worth of headroom is enough for me. ;)

shox.com says June-ish for Tokicos--order now because they'll probably all sell out. :eek: They are apparently a very popular item.

thesameguy
April 4th, 2014, 06:28 PM
April Fools was like three days ago.

Performance shocks for Camrys selling out. Ha. I needed a good chuckle!

:p

TheBenior
April 4th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Maybe they're only importing 9 sets.

Random
April 4th, 2014, 07:11 PM
:D

(I actually had the same reaction. Mark pointed out that, between the Gen4 Camrys, ES300, and 1G Avalon, there are a lot of potential buyers! FWIW.)

thesameguy
April 4th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Is "Tokico" code for Dockers or something? Did I miss a meeting?

Sad, little man
April 5th, 2014, 06:19 AM
5'5" worth of headroom is enough for me. ;)
Fine, suit yourself...

http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=410&d=1396707554

Random
May 6th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Because I am a) lazy and b) father of two with no time in the evenings for car work (George knows of what I speak), the Camry and 328 are both heading to local shops for their 90k and 160k services, respectively.

*stares sadly at his smoking wallet*

I amused myself by looking at E34 and E39 wagons this morning--surprsingly cheap, but almost all high miles.

thesameguy
May 6th, 2014, 11:00 AM
No doubt. That's a big part of why I ended up with the XJR instead of a 540. Finding ~100k Jags was no issue, finding ~100k Bimmers impossible.

Godson
May 6th, 2014, 11:05 AM
And some of the parts for the Jags are from Ford....

Random
May 6th, 2014, 11:12 AM
After a friend's experience with a 540i-6, and other anecdotal eveidence, I am not buying an older V8 BMW. :lol: Even if they do sound sweet.

thesameguy
May 6th, 2014, 12:12 PM
And some of the parts for the Jags are from Ford....

Not in the case of the X308 - that is 100% a Jaguar design (XJ40 -> X300 -> X308) using all Jaguar parts. It doesn't share a single Ford part number except for the coolant. The S-Type an X-Type both have shared Ford parts, but not the XJ.

Godson
May 6th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Not to forget the coolant resevoir cap...

thesameguy
May 7th, 2014, 11:47 AM
True, but lots of cars share those types of parts. The cap is the same between a Saab and the Sierra/late XR4Ti... there are a limited number of thread sizes. :)

Random
May 12th, 2014, 08:50 AM
http://www.kmiata.com/

Hmm.

thesameguy
May 12th, 2014, 09:08 AM
I'd be very interested in the pros & cons of kmiata vs.duratecmiata. I actually can't think of a real reason why a k-series would be better than the duratec - the duratec comes in WAY more configurations, and doesn't really have a specific output issue, either. Hmmm indeed.

Random
May 12th, 2014, 02:23 PM
According to their facebook page, it's silver E36 day at the shop:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/s526x395/10342812_699451316781727_8959751063997206076_n.jpg

Random
May 12th, 2014, 02:25 PM
ps. and a big fail on the Toyota service. The TB/WP had already been done at 36k (I don't know why--and I should have looked at the paperwork from Mapper's parents before this), so the whole reason I took it to the shop instead of doing the work myself was invalid. Derp. *sigh*

Random
May 14th, 2014, 02:31 PM
328 back from service with a laundry list of small leaks that the shop noted. Also noted that it is time to replace the front control arm bushings again, which would explain the faint highway shimmy.

KillerB
May 15th, 2014, 11:25 PM
K-series has some yummy VTEC goodness, if you're into that sort of thing. Which I am! I'm not really seeing any high output naturally aspirated Duratecs, and when you get into turbos you're adding a lot of plumbing. I feel like, at that level of effort, you might as well step up to an FM Habu.

If that swap can be made CARB-legal - and it should if you can manage to get a factory ECU working instead of the Hondata - that would be a hell of a swap. Like an S2000 with 700 fewer lbs.

KillerB
May 15th, 2014, 11:40 PM
PS - reading on the Miata.net forums, the issue with the MZR/Duratec is that the exhaust is on the "wrong" side. It won't stop a determined shadetree mechanic, but the K-series swap has the exhaust on the left side of the car and exits to the exact same spot as the factory engine.

Random
May 18th, 2014, 11:57 AM
LCA "lollipops" ordererededed.

Random
May 20th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Having second thoughts...might go with urethane.

http://www.bmpdesign.com/category-exec/category_id/56/search_year/1998/search_model/54

Edit: hey j00stin, do you have a press?

thesameguy
May 20th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Hells yeah. :D

Godson
May 20th, 2014, 09:40 PM
I recommend the 96+ m3 fcab

Random
May 21st, 2014, 11:20 AM
With the offset? I've got the swapped hats already, so I'll probably skip those.

Godson
May 21st, 2014, 08:02 PM
95 were offset. 96+ are the center holed all rubber. Extremely durable and no increase in nvh.

Random
May 21st, 2014, 08:07 PM
Ah, ok.

Random
May 23rd, 2014, 08:37 AM
BMW passed smog by the skin of its teeth, again. *whew* 55ppm HC @ 15mph, max allowed is 55ppm. :lol:

thesameguy
May 23rd, 2014, 09:55 AM
Can't argue with that!

How sad is it that car people in California get so excited about this event?

Random
May 23rd, 2014, 10:25 AM
Two more years before I have to replace the cat! :toast:

KillerB
May 23rd, 2014, 01:17 PM
Less than a year until I have to get my vehicles smogged again. Time sure flies!

Random
June 2nd, 2014, 10:11 AM
There's a good looking (in pictures) 99 Miata sport package for sale in GA on one of my other boards. Hmm. Already has Konis (though two need service) and bumpstops and a front swaybar. Hmm. Also has AC and PS, which were options at the time. Hmmm.

Anyone driven an NA and NB back to back? Do they feel similar?

thesameguy
June 2nd, 2014, 10:41 AM
I am probably not qualified to answer this, but in what way?

I drove (beat on) my friend's '01 (maybe '02) 1.8l 6-speed and his wife's '96ish automatic literally back to back. it was very hard to get any enjoyment out of hers, but it was better than his old 1.6l automatic was on account of a 10+% displacement bump. :lol: Hard to say what the real driving advantages of the newer car were vs. the older, because the older was so slow and so hard to push in any meaningful way.

I still like the styling of the OG Miata the best, but the interior on the facelift NBs is almost worth the price of admission IMHO.

I've never driven an NC, I've never driven a manual NA, and I've never driven a prefacelift NB. I have some test driving to do! :D

Godson
June 2nd, 2014, 12:22 PM
With the vast vehicles I have driven...no idea.

CudaMan
June 3rd, 2014, 07:18 AM
I haven't driven an NB on the street but in autox the (ex-Stimson) '99 Sport felt more nimble than the (Zach H) '94 R in ES. Hoosier A6s on both - driven a few years apart on the same lot.

The steering may have had something to do with that feeling but it's probably not all of it. I remember the '99 transitioning like a beast.

Random
June 3rd, 2014, 07:56 AM
Eeenteresting.

thesameguy
June 3rd, 2014, 08:19 AM
The NBs had two rounds of chassis reinforcements, so that would make sense...

Random
June 3rd, 2014, 08:24 AM
Yabbut--the 99 is the first year. The sport packages got some chassis bracing that the non-sports didn't, but I think the only thing that was new for the 99s was a shock tower brace in the front? The overall chassis is stiffer, I think.

There were some geometry tweaks in the suspension that made the biggest change (for autocrossers) between the NA and NB.

thesameguy
June 3rd, 2014, 11:41 AM
I'm talking about chassis design, not bolt-on stuff. The NB was a better from the sheet metal, and I think the '01s were improved yet again. I remember turn of the century magazine articles talking about Mazda taking all the shortcomings of the NA and fixing them on the NB without undoing the good bits. Which may not be able to be said for the NC.

Random
June 3rd, 2014, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I've read another article that chronicled in extensive detail all the places they saved weight from the 97s to the 99s. :cool:

thesameguy
June 3rd, 2014, 08:58 PM
Seems like they really did their homework. Adding a bunch of structure without gaining much weight is an awesome feat.

KillerB
June 4th, 2014, 08:24 AM
...all while adding space, too. The NB is significantly more comfortable for taller people.

Not that it matters one bit to Russ and I. Ahem.

CudaMan
June 4th, 2014, 11:29 AM
That has not been my experience, fwiw. :) Especially with the top up.

thesameguy
June 4th, 2014, 11:34 AM
I'm not particularly tall, but I've never felt the Miata has a space issue... I haven't spent hours in one, but I don't think they're any less livable than the Solstice or Fiero are and those I have spent hours in.

Godson
June 4th, 2014, 03:21 PM
heh...my knees hit the steering wheel in the NA...

CudaMan
June 5th, 2014, 07:01 AM
If the seat in the Miata was 6" lower, it'd be quite nice. I like to sit in my cars, not on top of them.

Godson
June 5th, 2014, 07:02 AM
I know them feels bro....I know them feels.

Random
June 13th, 2014, 10:08 PM
$23k for a base Focus ST. Hmm.

0.9% for 36mos, with $1500 cash back, too. Hmmm.

thesameguy
June 13th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Yeah - was looking at that with a coworker this morning. He wanted an STI, but I suggested looking at some other slightly more conservative options. Seems like a righteous deal.
]

Godson
June 15th, 2014, 10:00 AM
I enjoyed the ones I drove. They are good, but I wouldn't live with one.

Clutch pedal feels funky as hell.

Random
July 1st, 2014, 12:53 PM
Ordered new strut tops for the Camry (no sense in disassembling the suspension twice). Ordered, shipped (free!), and delivered in 24 hours. Damn, TireRack is good!

thesameguy
July 1st, 2014, 01:23 PM
Warehouses in Reno are awesome. Even though Summit's prices typically aren't great. the fact that just about everything ordered shows up the next day at the price of ground shipping is pretty nice.

Random
July 5th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Finally got back in the garage: took the loud pipe off the BMW.

Up next: swap out the LSD (have a buyer).

After that: Camry suspension (yes, it has been a whole year since I bought the parts, shut up).

edot: forgot that I have to do the LCA bushings on the BMW still, too. Derp.

thesameguy
July 5th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Whoa. WHOA.

Nobody said nuthin about you not getting things done.

Yet.

Godson
July 6th, 2014, 12:13 AM
Yeah, it is not like I can say anything about projects not being completed.

Phil_SS
July 7th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Atleast you have a project. :|

Maybe I should come out and help again. :hard:

Random
July 7th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Word. I swear the BMW is cleaner than the RX-7 was. *cough*

Random
July 9th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Diff swap successfully (nothing fell off when I backed it out of the garage) accomplished. Whacked my head on the lower shock mounts about 18 times (fuck) and crushed a couple fingers (ow) and got up and down from under the car a brazillian times to put the car in gear, in neutral, parking brake on, parking brake off, up, down, up, down, jeebus H.

Felt pretty good about getting the old diff out and the new diff in with a minimum of extra help--Naomi drove the jack while I finagled the diff into place, but that was the extent of my assistance. :)

thesameguy
July 9th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Nice! :up:

Don't forget to put oil in it. I, um, hear that can cause a problem.

Random
July 9th, 2014, 09:54 PM
I checked that before I even put the car up on the stands. :D I couldn't remember if we drained it when we pulled it originally--we didn't.

Random
July 19th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Can't decide if I actually have a new big vibration or if it has always been there and the exhaust drowned it out. :? :lol:

thesameguy
July 19th, 2014, 07:40 PM
I hate that. Is it driveline, chassis, or steering?

Random
July 20th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Driveline. Rev dependent, more or less, but goes away if you clutch in and rev the engine. I'm running poly engine and tranny mounts, keep in mind.

Godson
July 20th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Vehicle speed affect it at all?

Check the guibo or csb

Random
July 20th, 2014, 01:23 PM
It does seem somewhat speed dependent. Guibo and CSB were just changed, along with the driveshaft. Maybe the new driveshaft has shitty balance?

thesameguy
July 20th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Only when moving, or all the time?

Random
July 20th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Oh, there's a hell of a vibration when idling. :D This is higher in the rev range, though.

Godson
July 20th, 2014, 05:34 PM
motor mount?

Random
July 20th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Those are poly, too--I guess it's not unheard of for one to break.

thesameguy
July 20th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Possible the driveshaft is out of balance vis a vis the rest of the drivetrain?

Random
July 20th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Yeah. What to do is the next question...slap stock tranny mounts on it and decide that if I can't feel the problem it doesn't exist? :D

thesameguy
July 20th, 2014, 09:37 PM
You could take the drive shaft to Drive Line Service in West Sac and have it dynamically balanced. It's like $50. Best thing I ever did on the Falcon.

Random
July 21st, 2014, 08:35 AM
Hmm. I still can't decide if the problem is actually worse or just more noticeable. It really seems like a resonance issue rather than an actual vibration problem.

Regardless, I should put the car in the air and check all the connections.

thesameguy
July 21st, 2014, 11:19 AM
Maybe reformat and reinstall?

Random
July 21st, 2014, 11:20 AM
:up:

Random
July 23rd, 2014, 07:23 PM
Dad's 2001 Focus is available for a grand or less at the same time that I am pondering a new daily driver. Hmm....

"Recent" work:
Timing group and water pump, thermostat and gaskets at 165,000.
Fuel pump at 179,000
4x Michelins at 168,000

Engine is tight - no leaks, no drips, no smoke

Hood and roof paint is oxidized
Dent in right quarter panel (paint is intact)

Little stuff:
Drivers door switch worn - hard right corners make the door open buzzer go off. Auto-smith looked at it and said it was just the switch - I haven't done any messing or adjustment.
Drivers seat tilter is broken. Back adjustment is OK; you just can't flip the seat forward without changing the adjustment.
Rear window defroster has only 3 or 4 operable heating strips.
Right rear drain for the moon roof is broken or disconnected. One must pull the headliner to get to it (which I have declined to do). I just replaced the gasket on the roof, but I don't know whether it still leaks. It was a problem only in heavy rain or when I let snow sit on the roof for days/weeks and melt.

Seems like a fair amount of car for $1k. tsg, how much work did you end up doing on your roomate's car?

thesameguy
July 23rd, 2014, 08:33 PM
Hard to quantify that in terms of stuff I've done overall, I'd say not much. I did the timing belt, front wheel bearings, front brakes and sensors. I've done the rear drain operation (assuming it's a hatch - they have that problem) and door electronics on two other roommates cars. All roommates must have a Focus, that's my rule.

If this is a hatch, if you don't want it I do! $1k is a steal.

Random
July 24th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Yup, a ZX3. MINE! :D

Random
July 25th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Mapper's on board. :up:

thesameguy
July 25th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Crap. She was my last hope. :lol:

Godson
July 27th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Hahahaha!

I love the ZX3s

Random
July 27th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Old suspension is off the Toyota. :up:

tsg's "Jaws" spring compressor helps me not because Toyota uses conical springs. :(

Random
July 27th, 2014, 05:11 PM
New suspension is on the Toyota. :up: Just gotta hook up the front sway bar and put the wheels back on...

Random
July 27th, 2014, 07:32 PM
No parts left over, no parts fell off on the test drive, no rattles. Win!

Definitely needs an alignment--front end is pretty darty under braking. :D

Doesn't look all that much lower. Heh.

thesameguy
July 27th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Conical springs? That is some serious old school-ness right there!

Well, giant spring compressor continues to be useless. Terrible investment, that.

Random
July 27th, 2014, 07:57 PM
On the plus side, I got a heck of a forearm workout removing and installing four springs with my stick-style paired compressors.

Random
July 27th, 2014, 08:41 PM
One downside to the Focus: 4x108 wheels. WTFBBQ?

Godson
July 27th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Yeah... I guess I should have told you about that.

thesameguy
July 27th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Common Ford bolt pattern... goes back into the '70s. Same bolt pattern as the XR4Ti.

Also on some Volvos, Saabs, Mitsubishis, Audis, and something else I can't remember.

Random
July 28th, 2014, 05:42 AM
Oh, that's right--Dad ran AUdi OEM Ronals wheels on his car with R-Comps. Well, that improves the situation.

thesameguy
July 28th, 2014, 08:42 AM
You definitely have choices. Be happy it's not the Mazda-only 4x110.

Random
July 28th, 2014, 10:02 AM
BTDT.

thesameguy
July 28th, 2014, 10:07 AM
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Just don't take any of the good ones. I'm trying to find a decent, light 16 or 17" for the XR. :p

Random
July 29th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Toyota is alignededed (lawful good) and cleaned in preparation for our roadtrip this weekend (yes, I clean my cars before I travel).

Only remaining thing to do is repair a boogered up wheel stud--need to run a die down it and clean up one thread.

Random
July 29th, 2014, 06:21 PM
12x1.50 die was a GREAT SUCCESS. Was able to hand-thread the lug nut (a new one!) on and off. :)

Now I can just grump about the fact that the front end is a touch under-damped, and the back end is a smidge over-damped. :lol:

Random
July 29th, 2014, 09:06 PM
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Just don't take any of the good ones. I'm trying to find a decent, light 16 or 17" for the XR. :p

I had to look up what the "EAP wheels" that everyone was selling were. Turns out they are this nice, classic (IMO) design: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/rambleon84/1EAP.jpg
Just over 20lbs for a 17x7, which is not great, but $170 ea vs $270 ea for 16lb OZ Ultraleggeras.

thesameguy
July 29th, 2014, 09:32 PM
I like the EAP wheels a lot... not the greatest weight choice (the 5-spoke "Ford Racing" wheels I think were the lightest Ford wheels) but they do look nice. I wish I could get them for the XR as they tend to be cheap used, but since they were OE they have a crazy high offset that requires spacers. So, go for it. :)

Random
July 30th, 2014, 05:55 PM
A nice 16x7 found in the Audi 4000Q wheel selection at Tirerack: the Sparco Terra, in white. 19 lbs and $125 ea. Hmm.

edit: http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/sparco/swap/sparco_terra_w_ci3_l.jpg
editedit: apparently I suck at the Internet today, because I just found this wheel listed for the Focus. Good grief.

Howzabout dis?

Random
July 30th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Ye Olde BBS knockoff is on sale: Sport Edition SE-16 (http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/sportedition/swap/se_se16_s_ci3_l.jpg) in 16x7.5, 17.1 lbs, $79/ea. (Also found in the Audi 4000Q listings) 7.5" is reportedly pretty tight on the Focus. edit: found it for the Contour, as well, so no centerbore issues (see below). Bonus. editedit: and it's ont eh Focus page, too--dunno why I didn't see it the first time. Derp. :rolleyes:

edit: these are all 42mm offset, which doesn't work so well for you.

editedit: looking at 16s because there are nearly new Michelins in that diameter on the car already.

Random
July 30th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Parking this for future reference: Focus center bore is 63.9mm according to the intertubes. Audi is 57.1mm. The other 4x108 Fords appear to also be 63.9mm for the most part. Saab/Volvo are 65.0mm, again according to the t00bz.

Turns out that Tim traded installing a power-steering pump on the Unitrans shop manager's truck for putting the Audi wheels on the big lathe and expanding the center bore to the correct measurement. Haha. For aftermarket wheels, it might be possible to talk the TR guys into sending the Ford centering rings instead of the Audi version? Hmm.

thesameguy
July 31st, 2014, 08:40 AM
I think I can do a 42mm offset if I stay with 215s on a 7" wheel. 42 definitely won't work with a 7.5" wheel, and probably won't work with a 225 tire.

You can buy those centering rings anywhere, so don't sweat that. $10 is a set of perfectly good plastic ones. I may actually still have a set for the Focus as both the wheels on the Saab and the XR4Ti were fresh off a Focus. :)

Random
August 6th, 2014, 02:51 PM
You'll all be happy to know that the factory Ford stereo can play both 12cm and 8cm CDs. *whew*

(Yes, I am the type of person that downloads the Owner's Manual for a car that is not yet in my possession.)

thesameguy
August 6th, 2014, 02:57 PM
I think it can also play MP3s, but that may only be on the '02 or '03 cars. Easy swap, though. OTOH, aftermarket stuff isn't hard to install.

Random
August 6th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I figured I'd see what you've got laying around the garage after I get the car. ;) I'm living with a tape adapter/phone combo in teh BMW right now, so my needs are clearly not very great. :D

thesameguy
August 6th, 2014, 03:18 PM
I am deeply and personally offended.

Random
August 6th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Quick scan of Crutchfield--I guess the widespread use of Bluetooth audio has rendered the SD card obsolete? Didn't seem to be a ton of receviers with that functionality. Or is non-streaming music playback that old skool these days? edit: or maybe it was never that wide-spread a feature in the first place?

Godson
August 6th, 2014, 07:41 PM
If you need help with wiring information or anything, just let me know.

I have had my fair share of time crawling around on that chassis.

thesameguy
August 6th, 2014, 07:46 PM
I don't think SD cards were ever very popular in car audio... I have an SD card slot in the JVC in the Fiero, but that's one of maybe four or five stereos I've ever seen that in. AFAIK they were all limited to 2gb standard SD anyway. A USB port has been the standard for storage for probably seven or eight years.

thesameguy
August 6th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Also, while you can cram a double DIN in that spot, unless you really need a double DIN I'd go single. The install kit makes it a breeze, and you get little pocket below the stereo. JVC is the only brand worth looking at IMHO - every other brand has some sort of issue that makes a clean, basic install a PITA.

Random
August 6th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I was looking at single DIN already. :up: My main shopping criteria is dimming/color change--I really dislike the current fashion of eye-searing blue lights. :|

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDX210/JVC-KD-X210.html <-- howzaboutdat? No BT built in, but separate brightness control for the buttons and display.

edit: looks like you gotta spend $100 to get a free installation kit.

thesameguy
August 6th, 2014, 09:54 PM
Yeah, $100 is the minimum. You might also look at Sonic Electronix. They tend to be a cheaper, though I am not sure how much cheaper than $70 a stereo can be!

I saw this the other day:

http://www.frys.com/product/8087304

That's a very good price on that head unit, much less with the speakers. You'd still need the install kit, but Amazon has the dash part for $11, and the wiring kit for $7.

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-1985-2004-Lincoln-Mercury-Premium/dp/B0002BF0BQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1407390575&sr=1-1&keywords=metra+70-1770
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-5200-Installation-1999-2004-1999-2002/dp/B0002BEXNM

They also have that stereo for $1 less (albeit +tax) and the next version up with BT for $84. Personally, I think it's worth $16 to get BT in the mix.

Hmmmm... Sonic Electronix has the upgraded stereo with install kit for $89.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_74831_JVC-KD-X310BT.html

I think you can get a discount there using v.me or one of those other payment services... Shipping is free on almost everything, but there is tax.

Godson
August 7th, 2014, 07:33 AM
might check newegg also.

Random
August 7th, 2014, 09:10 AM
That JVC does FLAC playback, too, for when I get around to re-ripping my entire CD collection. *cough*

From the Amazon reviews of the X310BT:

Comes in demo mode from the factory. I had to look up in the manual how to shut it off. It was bright, flashing, and looked like a UFO was landing in my car while I was driving.

:lol:

Godson
August 7th, 2014, 01:56 PM
They had to look up how to take it off demo? Dude must not be very smart.

thesameguy
August 7th, 2014, 02:06 PM

WHY WON'T THIS WORK????

Random
August 7th, 2014, 02:40 PM

Some people aren't button pushers. :shrug:

thesameguy
August 7th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Yeah, but car stereos haven't changed much in the last 10 years or so. If you can't get into the system menu and scroll down to demo, that doesn't bode well for your success in 2014. That guy probably can't use the ATM or the PIN pad at the grocery store, either.

Random
August 7th, 2014, 03:02 PM
True, but, that said, the lack of standard interfaces and the, um, creative locations that some manufacturers pick for their menus can be a hindrance. Is "Demo Mode" mode under "Set-up" (short press with unit off) or "Menu" (short press with unit on), or "Settings" (long press with unit on), etc.

:)

Godson
August 7th, 2014, 03:12 PM
More than likely being a JVC, your definition of "Settings"

That is also how most of my experience with how to turn off demo more on most units.

thesameguy
August 7th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Indeed. And that's three options. Not exactly a lifetime to investigate, nor a dangerous trek fraught with peril.

Random
August 7th, 2014, 04:26 PM
You never know! One of the buttons could erase everything!!

thesameguy
August 7th, 2014, 04:27 PM
You don't think... no... seriously?

Random
August 7th, 2014, 04:29 PM
EVERYTHING!!! :eek:

Leon
August 7th, 2014, 07:17 PM

I would make fun, but I am currently defeated by the demo mode display on the JVC stereo in the car I just bought.

Godson
August 7th, 2014, 08:44 PM
should be like all JVC. Press and hold the menu button with the radio on.

Random
August 8th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Toyota front end goes in the air tonight to trace down clunking. :|

Not totally sold on this spring/shock combo.

Random
August 8th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Looking at doing a general tune-up after I take possession of the Focus: plugs/wires, air/oil/fuel filters, oil change, coolant drain and fill, PCV valve and hoses, serpentine belt, tranny fluid. Anything else obvious? Fuel pump and timing belt (+WP/tstat) already done.

edit: add idler.

Random
August 8th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Strut-to-upright bolts weren't torqued. Derp.

Godson
August 9th, 2014, 08:22 AM

Rookie :p

thesameguy
August 9th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Looking at doing a general tune-up after I take possession of the Focus:

If the timing belt and thermostat were done, there probably isn't a need to change the coolant. Otherwise, it seems like a pretty complete list - and soooooooo cheap. :) Maybe serpentine pulley/idler?

Random
August 9th, 2014, 01:38 PM

Rookie :p

They were tight, just not 156 ft-lb tight. Heh.

edit: oh yeah, idler. Good call.

Godson
August 9th, 2014, 03:51 PM
156????

Bmw is like 10

Random
August 9th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Not the small bolts at the strut top (those are 50ish), the two big ones that attach the strut to the knuckle.

Godson
August 9th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Oh, lol

Random
August 12th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Collected the Focus tonight. Big thank you to tsg who took a little evening drive to the mountains and back with me. :cool: :D

Only had to turn on the dome light once to find a control (the side mirror adjustment) while en route. :up:

Windows up vs windows down has a marked effect on the sound quality of the stereo. Weird/interesting.

Hand-cranked moonroof. Old skool!

CD player but no tape deck, so I was forced to listen to terrestrial radio all the way home since I brought a tape adapter for my phone rather than CDs. :lol:

Got pulled over minutes from home, doing 43 in a 40 zone. WTF?

"Sir, did you know you have a headlight out?"
"No, I didn't, but I was just thinking on the freeway that something looked funny."
"Registration, sir?"
"Uh, I just bought the car; I can show you the title?"
I hand the nice man the title with Dad's signature--but nothing on the back stating who bought the car, hadn't filled it out yet. Haha. Oops.
"Do you have a sales contract or anything?"
"No, I bought it from my Dad; we didn't do a contract."
*stink-eye from the officer*
"Insurance?"
"Uh, no, I literally *just* bought the car three hours ago."
"Er...but your other cars have insurance, right?"
"Oh, yes, yes, of course."
He walks away to look at my license, comes back and sends me on my way with an admonition to get the light fixed right away tomorrow.
*whew* :lol:

novicius
August 13th, 2014, 06:59 AM
Damn hooligans. :smh:

Random
August 13th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Yeah, baby! :rawk:

Random
August 13th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Bonus discovery: it's got Koni SAs in it. I thought the ride seemed awfully taut... :lol:

Random
August 13th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Needs one or more engine mounts.

Passed smog with no problems. :up:

thesameguy
August 13th, 2014, 09:11 AM
I thought the ride seemed awfully taut too. Very little squat when hilariously lighting up the front tires. Looked downright sporty from where I was! Also, at some point in essess on flat land there was oncoming traffic and a dip in the pavement all at once, and I thought, "Gosh, it hustled right through there."

Sucks to get nailed by Davis PD. The headlight must have failed en route - because it was on when we left the house and on when we left the gas station. I do seem to vaguely recall a flicker from that right rear tail light somewhere before 99... maybe then?

Random
August 13th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Or maybe the BANG when I hilariously lit up the front tires spiritedly accelerated from a standing start did it. See above comment regarding motor mounts. Haha!

thesameguy
August 13th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Reminds me, might want to throw coolant temp sensor on your shopping list. That restart issue at the gas station smelled like coolant temp sensor.

Random
August 13th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Yeah, it didn't want to idle in neutral with the clutch out after we got gas. Funky. I wonder if the clutch drags a little bit?

thesameguy
August 13th, 2014, 09:47 AM
The Focus has a retarded heavy flywheel. It should idle in 1st. :D

Random
August 13th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Noticed that during upshifts. :lol:

Random
August 13th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Side note: the smog check was one of the new OBD-II checks--no rollers, no tailpipe sniff. Neat. :up:

thesameguy
August 13th, 2014, 10:19 AM
I saw on the Traverse a sticker under the hood that said something like "AWD Vehicle" and then had Xs over pictures of the axles on rollers. I think I am going to get that sticker and put it on the XR4ti and see what happens. Heh.

Random
August 13th, 2014, 02:50 PM
This appears to have been a "loaded" car:
Premium Group ($1095): air conditioning, 16-inch aluminum wheels and tires, tilt/telescoping wheel, front center armrest (I don't think I have this?), speed control, front map lights.
Power Group ($740): power locks with all-door remote entry, power windows, and power mirrors
Manual Moonroof ($495)
Side impact airbags ($350), which included adding headrests to the rear seats <-- tsg

Only options not selected were ABS and stability control!

Color is "Rainforest Green."

Random
August 13th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Motor mounts need to happen sooner than later. Good grief.

Also noted a funky sway in corners, particularly right hand sweepers, last night and today. It appears the rear bushings are due for replacement as well.

TheBenior
August 13th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Side note: the smog check was one of the new OBD-II checks--no rollers, no tailpipe sniff. Neat. :up:
Now if they do away with the visual, you could do the spark plug anti-fouler O2 sensor spacer trick and still pass emissions with aftermarket catless headers and downpipes. I have a... friend who's done this with more than one vehicle here in IL.

thesameguy
August 13th, 2014, 06:42 PM
I don't think the rear bushings last on the Focus - the silver Focus needed them (I didn't do it) and I've helped others do it on fairly low mileage machines. I think the passive steering rear end is hard on them.

Godson
August 13th, 2014, 08:10 PM
It is hard on the bushings. Very e36-esque

Random
August 14th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Parking:
http://massivespeedsystem.com/_massive_speed_system_/massive_lower_engine_mounts/mamm106790/i-1681649.aspx
New rubber bushings only available installed in new control arms, reportedly.
OEM engine and tranny mounts are 6x more expensive than the crappy aftermarket versions. Hrm.

Part numbers:
Dogbone: YS4Z-6068-MA
Driver's side mount: 1S4Z-7M121-PA
Pass side mount: YS4Z-6038-BA

Stock wheel weights:
15X6 - Alloy 15.2lbs
16X6 - Alloy 19.1lbs

Team Dynamics vendor: http://forums.focaljet.com/new-products-deals/591364-team-dynamics-4x108-pro-race-wheels-stock.html

Random
August 15th, 2014, 11:52 AM
OEM mounts orderededed.

Random
August 16th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Proved to my own satisfaction that one cannot magically muscle new LCA bushings onto the ends of the LCA while laying on one's back under a car. :lol: Trip to the hardware store for some all-thread and whatnot is on the agenda tomorrow.

thesameguy
August 16th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Pretty sure you can muscle them in. Try harder.

:p

Random
August 17th, 2014, 08:46 AM
TWSS?

Random
August 17th, 2014, 01:29 PM

The $34 version of a $140 service tool. 1/2" all-thread coupled to 1/2" eye bolt. 1/8" plate on the back side of the wood organic cellular composite block to provide a bearing surface for the nuts. The rod through the control arm is an 8" ratchet extension with a spark plug socket on the end to keep it from dropping through the eye bolt. :D Instead of the special BMW kerosene-based lubricant, I used hand soap, which will lose its lubrication as the water evaporates out. :cool:

The $140 version:

thesameguy
August 17th, 2014, 03:16 PM
I'd count that as a victory... $140 for that is madness!

Godson
August 17th, 2014, 04:49 PM
I'd likely do something similar.

(or just use my press) :D

I also support the use of soap. I used on tires when I used to install them. I drop of non-lotioned hand soap in a spray bottle would offer enough lubrication to get the tire on, but be dried in 3-5 minutes to be balanced, and not be thrown off after mounting from a days worth of driving. Toyo tires did a study on tires that were "out of balance" within 24 hours of purchase. They found out the tires were balanced appropriately when installed but the use of too much, or incorrectly placed lubrication allowed the tire to spin around the wheel upon braking before the tire lubrication which was used to help put the tire on the wheel to set up and dry.

These comebacks happened all over the world. Some even happened at my shop. I never had out of balance tires. The difference was what i was using to get the tires on the wheels. I also had a faster install time than anyone else, including the lube tech guys that had all the equipment right next to them at the rack. My speed was in part to using a spray bottle to get on a small amount of soap/water over the entire surface faster than using a brush.

Point I am making is that soap and water are largely overlooked for a great lubrication that dries quickly.

Random
August 18th, 2014, 08:03 AM
No shimmy on the way into work. :up:

After a few days of driving the Focus, the 328 feels like a rocket. :lol:

thesameguy
August 18th, 2014, 09:23 AM
It kinda is? :D

Random
August 18th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Well, in the grand scheme of things, yeah, 17 lbs/hp works out to pretty reasonable performance for a daily driver. Thanks to the non-existant engine mounts on the Focus, the shifter of the BMW feels like a precision instrument, too. :lol:

Random
August 19th, 2014, 10:16 AM
pl8's thread reminded me: being able to do car registration stuff at the local AAA office rocks. It took me about 20 minutes to transfer the Focus over, and 15 of those minutes were spent driving to an ATM because the AAA office can only take cash or check. :D

The "family transfer" affidavit paid off, too. Registration fee ended up being only $15, so I didn't need the trip to the ATM after all. Doh. :lol:

thesameguy
August 19th, 2014, 10:37 AM
No doubt. I reacquired a membership in '10 to cover any emergencies with the Fleetwood, and have kept up as there's a AAA across the street from the office. Very, very convenient - I visit several times per year (obviously). And I keep a check made out to "DMV" in my desk at work. :D

Random
August 20th, 2014, 01:46 PM
I really wish Kosei still made the K1 in a wide variety of PCDs:

http://www.omnilith.net/pics/kosei1.jpg

thesameguy
August 20th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Yeah... they don't. :)

Not many people do 4x108 anymore. :(

Random
August 20th, 2014, 03:15 PM
TD does! :devil:

I don't really know why I'm looking at wheels for this car, other than a vague sense of dissatisfaction with the idea of 19 lb OEM alloys. :|

thesameguy
August 20th, 2014, 03:20 PM
19lb 16" factory wheels really isn't bad...

Random
August 20th, 2014, 03:21 PM
You can have mine. :p

Random
August 21st, 2014, 02:11 PM
First fill-up: 27.9 mpg. 20% improvement over the 328--w00t. :up:

Godson
August 21st, 2014, 02:24 PM
I'd do an injector flush, fuel filter, and new plugs/wires.

Should be able to net 30 or so.

neanderthal
August 22nd, 2014, 09:35 AM
I just rented a Ford Figo (?) hatchback in South Africa.

My E320 feels ponderous and oil tanker-ish now.

Random
August 22nd, 2014, 09:45 AM
The Intert00bs say that's a Mk V Fiesta-based product made in India. 84hp out of a 1.4-liter--nice. How'd it drive (other than "more nimble than a E320")?

neanderthal
August 22nd, 2014, 02:03 PM
I only rented it for one day, so I didn't have too much time to thoroughly check it. Besides, rowing a 5 speed right hand drive in a country with different road signs than you are used to while trying to avoid tolls makes for a poor evaluation period.

Pretty stiff ride (as determined by it's performance over speedbumps.) but nice sweet handling. Didn't really push it too much. Nice action to the 5 speed, well placed gates and nice motion. The clutch was mega vague; i could never figure out where the bite point was. Rorty little engine that made very enthusiastic sounds but pressing the accelerator resulted in more noise than motion. Nimble steering and competent brakes. Hard contact points everywhere, but that is typical of the class. Pretty cramped cockpit when I set it for me (i prefer my seat to be low and my legs just about straight) the steering wheel was too far away (no reach adjustment, just height!) and the B pillar was ahead of my shoulder line. So that meant I couldn't put my arm on the window comfortably.

But otherwise, nice ergos, good visibility, excellent fuel economy, the trunk was able to swallow the regular suitcase I had with ease, but the additional travelling bag had to go in the back seat. Minimal instrumentation (speedo, tach, fuel gauge, odometer.) When you turned it on it gave you a readout for distance to empty so I suppose with some playing around it could have been displayed. Turning on the AC didn't affect the power too much until you got to an incline, then you pretty much had to turn it off. Even then, it usually needed a shift to third to maintain momentum. And the inclines weren't that steep. Looking over my shoulder to make a lane change meant looking at the C pillar. The left side was fine. Non remotely adjusted mirrors, the passenger side had a little toggle on the inside to adjust it. The drivers side was completely old school.

Surprise; standard fog lights.

Random
August 22nd, 2014, 06:31 PM
Parts for the Toyota showed up and they sent one brown switch panel and one grey switch panel. Derp.

Door switch issue (dome light no working, key fob able to lock car with door open) turned out to be a poor ground (switch to body) rather than an actual bad switch. Derp derp.

Random
August 25th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Turns out that the part number for the switch panel superceded, but the description did not change. Toyota doesn't actually make an "oak" switch panel any more. Buh? :?

Godson
August 25th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Is it wood trim paneling?

Random
August 25th, 2014, 01:11 PM
No, just brown plastic. I have no idea why they would stop making the brown version and only make the grey version.

edit: interior trim paint http://www.vinylpro.com/product/00006

I'm going to check the recyclers first, though.

Godson
August 25th, 2014, 01:39 PM
you should be able to match the vinyl paint quite easily. Hit it with a strong cleaner to strip away the color and oil from what you are painting. And just do extremely light passes on it. I have done that more times than I care to remember....on brand new vehicles...because they were misbuilt, dealer traded, and nobody saw it until I got my hands on it.

Random
August 25th, 2014, 02:26 PM
This appears to have been a "loaded" car:
Premium Group ($1095): air conditioning, 16-inch aluminum wheels and tires, tilt/telescoping wheel, front center armrest (I don't think I have this?), speed control, front map lights.
Power Group ($740): power locks with all-door remote entry, power windows, and power mirrors
Manual Moonroof ($495)
Side impact airbags ($350), which included adding headrests to the rear seats <-- tsg

Only options not selected were ABS and stability control!

Color is "Rainforest Green."

Dad says he swapped out the armrest console for the non-armrest version, because the armrest was annoying. That solves that particular mystery. :D

Random
August 25th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Focus engine and tranny mounts are in. Not a night-and-day difference, but 2nd and 3rd are easier to find and the powertrain doesn't go "clunk!" when you start the car. Heh. Took about an hour and a half, including a break for dinner waffles. Mmmm, waffles.

SupraDupra
August 26th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Took about an hour and a half, including a break for dinner waffles. Mmmm, waffles.

This makes me want to cry. 1.5 hours....uhhhgg. AND waffles!

Random
August 28th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Vigorous left hand turn + sucky cup FOcus cup-holders = 20 oz of coffee in passenger footwell. Doh! :mad:

Leon
August 28th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Whooops!

The variation on that which has happened to me a couple of times, is that I have a damn steep driveway. So on at least three occasions I've ended up with a coffee or hot chocolate geyser in my car from the steep driveway and the sippy cup style opening on takeaway hot drink lids.

Random
September 2nd, 2014, 07:54 PM
Considering swapping out the solid engine mounts in the BMW for stock units. I feel like the solid mounts (and resultant transmitted vibration) will be the biggest barrier to selling the car to Joe Public. Thoughts? Anyone done it in a driveway before?

edit: Turner sells the M3 mounts as an upgrade for the non-M E36es. Score. Some googling indicates that this is a driveway job--I thought the subframe had to come out, but apparently not.

editedit: they also sell "Grupe N" factory rubber mounts used for racing (and the E9x M3s)

...for $756/pair. DubyaTeeEff.

Godson
September 3rd, 2014, 06:28 AM
You should have an engine hoist or a support brace. Subframe does NOT need to come out. Just some elevation of then engine and they fall right in. You will need to pull the maf and intake tube to access the top mounts nut and stud iirc

Random
September 8th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Mapper's on board. :up:

Crap. She was my last hope. :lol:

She finally drove it yesterday. Came back saying "there are four issues:"

1. Hard to find 2nd gear.
2. Two-doorness less than ideal for the back-up family car.
3. The pictures are worn off the remote so she had to experiment to open the doors.
4. It drives so nicely that she *really* doesn't like the Camry.

2nd gear synchros are tired, I think.

thesameguy
September 8th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Might try a fluid change - it's probably original, and IIRC not the best fluid from the factory. Worst case, the MTX75 is a pretty durable transmission and there should be mountains them available used.

Two doors is certainly less than ideal, but I'm sure all our parents made do with them... Our backup family car was a '76 Honda and everything worked out ok. In no time the eldest will be able to secure himself and help with the youngest. No worries. ;) Plus, really, when is the Camry ever going to be out of commission such that you'll need a backup? A Toyota breaking? Never happened. :p

George
September 8th, 2014, 11:23 AM
3. The pictures are worn off the remote so she had to experiment to open the doors.

1. Throw remote in trash
2. Insert key into lock on door (as humans have been doing for hundreds of years)
3. Turn key
4. Open door
5. Enter car

When leaving the car:

1. Press down the lock button on door while exiting vehicle
2. Place key in pocket for future use
3. Enjoy the peace and quiet of no blasting horn noises during this process

Random
September 8th, 2014, 11:35 AM
1. Throw remote in trash
2. Insert key into lock on door (as humans have been doing for hundreds of years)
3. Turn key
4. Open door
5. Enter car

When leaving the car:

1. Press down the lock button on door while exiting vehicle
2. Place key in pocket for future use
3. Enjoy the peace and quiet of no blasting horn noises during this process

What's kinda neat, and well done on Ford's part, is that the factory alarm works off the key or the remote, so you can lock the doors with the key and the alarm turns on. :up:

And the horn only beeps if you lock it a second time with the remote. The first time, the lights blink. The second time you get a "yeah, yeah, I got it" honk from the car. :D

ps for George: all three doors have key holes. :rawk:

Kchrpm
September 8th, 2014, 11:40 AM
I always lock it twice, because I don't trust it.

Godson
September 8th, 2014, 08:21 PM
What year car? Ford remotes are easy as shit to program.

Random
September 10th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Hatch latch stopped latching. Derp. Realtively simple replacement, once you deal with swapping the lock cylinder between latches. Yay, google--I hope. Not great timeing, as I am super busy at work and trying to pack for LeMons. *grumble*

Random
October 18th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Transmission mounts swapped on the BMW, clutch bushings replaced. Noticeable difference in vibration with just the transmission mounts switched back to rubber (M3 parts instead of 328, though).

Took a look at the stock foglight housings and confirmed that the housings are ok, but I need a new driver's side foglight--plastic part of the clip is broken. Bah.

Clutch bushing took hardly any time at all thanks to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oFud4xKXIk Win. :cool:

While making sure the brake switch was still correctly oriented, I figured out that the CHMSL was out--the only bulb in the car that the OBC doesn't keep track of, naturally. Got that changed out, too. :)

Random
October 19th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Engine mounts in and started work on removing welded on brake dust from the front wheels. Whee!

Driver's side mount was actually the easiest, despite having to pull the airbox and MAF for access to the top nut. The engine tends to rock to the passenger side, so you have to jack it up further to get that mount to come out. Scary. "What's that creaking plastic sound? Eh, fuck it." :eek:

thesameguy
October 20th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Inline motors are so much nicer to deal with than V motors. :up:

Are you keeping the BMW and going to three cars, or is it leaving the stable?

Random
October 20th, 2014, 03:59 PM
The BMW is leaving. I don't have the free time/head space to deal with it. :)

Random
October 30th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Focus tried to overheat this evening. Turning on the AC cooled it back down--seemed like the first stage of the fan wasn't working. The second stage would come on when the temp went up. Temp sensor? Fan switch? Guess I'll pull out the manual and find the test procedure for the fan...

thesameguy
October 30th, 2014, 08:05 PM
I think the Zetec still has separate sensors for the fan and the gauge, so it could be the former sensor. The Duratec has a single sensor, and the ECM turns on the fan.

Random
October 30th, 2014, 08:58 PM
There's apparently a blower resistor that commonly fails on these, as well, according to the 't00bs.

Random
October 31st, 2014, 09:13 AM
Ten minutes is an excessive hold time for a parts department located in Dixon. :|

thesameguy
October 31st, 2014, 10:08 AM
The parts manager/receptionist/service tech is having a busy morning?

Random
November 3rd, 2014, 08:20 PM
Qualified success on the resistor/pigtail replacement. Didn't overheat on the way to/from the gas station, and I was finally, after 5 minutes of holding the throttle open at a fast idle, able to get the fan to come on. Heh.

Now I'll just spend the rest of my ownership of this car paranoid about the temp and the quality (or lack thereof) of my butt-splices. :|

Ah well.

Random
November 4th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Qualified success on the resistor/pigtail replacement. Didn't overheat on the way to/from the gas station, and I was finally, after 5 minutes of holding the throttle open at a fast idle, able to get the fan to come on. Heh.

Now I'll just spend the rest of my ownership of this car paranoid about the temp and the quality (or lack thereof) of my butt-splices. :|

Ah well.

Had a little spike during my morning inspections as I idled along on a dam. Hmm. Pull it all apart and do a soldered connection or chase other parts?

Godson
November 4th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Any chance you can net a photo?

thesameguy
November 4th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Maybe a stuck thermostat? Do you know if the spike was cured by the fan coming on?

Random
November 4th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I heard the fan kick up to the second stage, and the temp dropped immediately. Temp was rock solid for the rest of the day--though I was moving more the rest of the day.

Here's a wacky thought: what if I'm getting detonation at low engine speeds (that I thought was something vibrating) and that's putting more heat into the water?

thesameguy
November 4th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Given the ambient temps that seems unlikely. The cooling system should be able to take a lot more heat, and if detonation was that big of an issue you'd have a CEL for misfires for sure. I'd keep an eye on it, but if it stayed stable it might have just been a fluke. Or maybe you do have a lazy thermostat.

Random
November 5th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Needle doesn't seem to hve done anything peculiar today, but I spent nearly no time at low speed.

The car did do the hot start/stall thing twice, though. Heh. Adding temp sensors to the list of tune-up items.

thesameguy
November 5th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Yeah, that was an issue on mine too. Hard to really get upset about anything Focus related given how cheap it all is. ;)

Random
November 5th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Last tank (mostly highway/freeway) was 32 mpg, by the way. w00t. :D

Best fuel mileage for any of my vehicles since I sold the Civic. :(

thesameguy
November 5th, 2014, 08:31 PM
ZETEC POWAH?

Random
November 6th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Such as it is... ;)

Random
November 11th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Disassembled the passenger side interior of the Focus this afternoon; sunroof drain was, in fact, disconnected at the sunroof end. Got that put back together. Scratching my head over the exit side of the drain...does it really just drain into the rocker area?!*

Only broke a few plastic clips in the process. :rolleyes:

* after some googling, yep, it just drains into the rocker. Gotta make sure the drains out of the rocker are open!

thesameguy
November 12th, 2014, 10:57 AM
99% sure the XR drains in the same way. Must be a Ford thing. I guess it's just too difficult to poke the drains out the floorpan (like everyone else in the world).

Random
November 12th, 2014, 11:07 AM
99% sure the XR drains in the same way. Must be a Ford thing. I guess it's just too difficult to poke the drains out the floorpan (like everyone else in the world).

The other possible Ford thing, or maybe just a "bad design" thing, are the attachments for the oh shit handles. Needlessly complex and stupidly easy to break. :mad: Everyone else just uses two screws, not sure why Ford felt like they had to reinvent attaching a handle to a surface.

thesameguy
November 12th, 2014, 11:59 AM
I think I remember that from some door work. I think the entire Focus door trim situation was designed to ease assembly with no real thought put into service or durability.

If you want to see crazy, come by and take a look at a door panel from a W124. That is a disaster area. I think 13 separate parts that in combination screwed, stapled, and melted together all onto a fiberboard backing. One aspect fails, and shortly after the whole thing comes apart. A brilliant example of simultaneous over- and under-engineering. Very Rube Goldberg. I used to think all the plastic parts stacked on top of each other in the Volvo 700 series was the worst thing in automobiledom, but I am pretty sure now it's W124 door panels.

Random
November 17th, 2014, 02:45 PM
In Miata news, I've been casually keeping an eye out for lightweight 15x6 wheels for autocrossing...not a lot out there in that size. Guy at another forum has a set of SSRs for sale...$1400. :eek: Took a glance at Tirerack's offerings and noted that the Sparco Assetto Gara is available in a 15x6--sweet. It's also 14lbs, which kinda blows. :( (For reference, the stock 14x6s I have are 11.5 ea and the polished M wheels in the same size are 10.5!)

Hmm.

Toyo just came out with a TW200 version of their all-conquering cheater ;) R1R in a 195/50-15, btw.

Godson
November 17th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Perhaps I should get a miata instead...

Random
November 17th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Every car person should own one at some point in their lives, just to see what the big deal is. :)

edit: test test.

Kchrpm
November 18th, 2014, 05:27 AM
I have a Mazda now, next I hope to supplement it with a RWD 2-seater, close enough?

Random
December 9th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Finished up sanding the rusty brake dust off the front wheels of the 328 and then hitting them with a little rattle can Universal German Car Silver Wheel Paint. 10-foot paint job, for sure, heh. Pulled out of the garage (after stomping on a black widow attempting to take up residence in the rear fenders) and gave the car a quick wash so that I could send a few pictures to a local shop owner that might have a lead on someone looking to build up a track car. :cool:

thesameguy
December 9th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Half Off Racing II? ;)

Random
December 9th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Ha, no, it would take some *really* creative accounting to make that work out. ;)

thesameguy
December 9th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Nah... just sell that fancy new transmission out of it and put a junkyard one back in. Solved. :D

Random
December 19th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Went to look at a set of OEM BBS alloys, 15x6, for the Miata. The right size for my autocrossing class, forged, and 12 lb ea. :up:

They turned out to be 14x6. :down: Seller had measured them by putting a tape across the face (which overstates the diameter) and then didn't look at either the casting marks (!) or the tire size (!!) to confirm the size. *sigh* :(

On the plus size for the seller, what he has are a set of 9.5 lb wheels. Lightest OEM alloy put on the Miata. Heh. :P

Random
December 22nd, 2014, 07:46 PM
https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/l/t1.0-9/10881607_10103211407206043_3422791173961532504_n.j pg?oh=8395b4c041d6a31a2ac80a266da806e8&oe=553663CF

Tim decided that the splint he got for his broken finger/hand was lame and made a new one out of carbon fiber.

Godson
December 22nd, 2014, 08:17 PM
LOL. Did he show that to the doc?

Random
December 22nd, 2014, 08:28 PM
He just got the original version today, so I'm guessing not.

Godson
December 22nd, 2014, 08:32 PM
He should for shits and giggles. The doc may find it cool. Or not.

If he doesn't, have him change docs.

thesameguy
December 24th, 2014, 10:34 AM
I feel like it needs some LEDs.

Random
January 6th, 2015, 03:39 PM
The BMW clearly knows it's about to be sold; it popped an SRS light on the way into work this morning. :mad: