PDA

View Full Version : Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Phil_SS
April 12th, 2015, 05:38 PM
I knew this game was comin out but I didn't realize it was so soon. Looks awesome.

http://youtu.be/nYwe_WHARdc

21Kid
April 12th, 2015, 05:45 PM
I tried the 2nd one and was turned off by their potion system. You basically have to know what is coming up. You can't use a potion in the middle of a battle.
There was a boss I tried fighting 10 times before I checked online that you had to use "x" potion before the cinematic intro to his fight in order to win. :smh:

Phil_SS
April 12th, 2015, 06:03 PM
I played the second one also and I found it to be pretty cool. Though I only played it for about 5-6 hours. This one seams more open world than the previous ones and the stories are always very highly regarded.

Might have to give it a shot.

novicius
April 13th, 2015, 08:07 AM
Looks awesome.
Yeah definitely! Looks like what I wanted Dragon Age: Inquisitor to be -- now I have something to trade that game in for. ;)

novicius
April 19th, 2015, 03:14 PM
The Witcher 3 Needs 30.5GB on Xbox One, 35GB on PS4, Preload Available on Xbox One (http://games.softpedia.com/blog/The-Witcher-3-Needs-30-5GB-on-Xbox-One-35GB-on-PS4-Preload-Available-on-Xbox-One-478701.shtml)

New hard drive requirements for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on the PS4 and Xbox One have just appeared, alongside a preload option for those who've already pre-purchased the RPG on the Microsoft home console.

Quite a few big news related to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt have surfaced this week, from the announcement that development is complete and that it's gone gold, to new details about its mechanics.

Now, the game's preload is available on the Xbox One console, meaning all owners of the Microsoft console who have pre-purchased the long awaited role-playing game can start downloading the necessary files, ahead of its launch next month.

At the same time, the official Xbox store listing cites a size of 25.15GB. However, users report, via DualShockers, that the actual download size is 30.5GB, as shown by the Xbox One's hard drive.

Meanwhile, the PS Store listing has been updated with a new size in the form of 35GB. Previously, a disclaimer mentioned that the RPG was expected to weigh in at around 50GB, so fans should keep a hefty portion of the PS4's hard drive free for its installation.

As of yet, developer CD Projekt Red hasn't mentioned anything about the game's size on the two consoles. On the PC, the official hard drive requirement is 35GB.

Phil_SS
April 19th, 2015, 04:11 PM
http://youtu.be/wZWuTAJsV3M

21Kid
June 9th, 2015, 11:52 AM
So, it got really good reviews. Does anyone have it? Does it live up to the hype?

GreatScawt
June 9th, 2015, 03:39 PM
I have it, but I have just finished W2 first, so I can create my own save to import. W2 is really really good IMO and W3 seems to be everythjg and more and optimized. I've really only played W3 to test my hardware (goddamn hairworks is a monster). Even just messing around, the graphics and animations are downright gorgeous. I'll be working on it for real soon.

novicius
February 27th, 2017, 05:04 AM
Dusted this title off and restarted my game last week.

First I dove into the lore in order to get my Geralt on: The Witcher 1 (PC-only) plot (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher_(video_game)#Plot) opens with a cutscene that is basically the short story "The Witcher (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Wish_(book)#The_Witcher)" from Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski's book "The Last Wish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Wish_(book))", first book in The Witcher Saga (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher). Followed by The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher_2:_Assassins_of_Kings)... which is spoiled by everything in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher_3:_Wild_Hunt) (and these links are SPOILERS as well). Brief notes on the setting (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher#Setting). There is a map included with Wild Hunt so that's kind of helpful; the problem with it is that it isn't a true World Map so you don't know the size & shape of the southern Nilfgaard Empire. There is a World Map in-game so you're not completely left in the dark. #shrug

Then I dove into the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GYL6c_GTE0

:lol:

The maps and "open worldness" of it all is better than Dragon Age: Inquisition, IMO. But they're still good-sized local areas separated by load screens, so that takes away from the awesome open world feel that is Skyrim (on 360 even!). But graphically Wild Hunt is on another level -- a PS4 level, almost. :lol: As most XBONE gamers know, games aren't as graphically splendorifous on the old XBONE as they are on the PS4. Instead of locking the game engine down however, Wild Hunt attempts to achieve true 1080p where possible and that is definitely appreciated (according to the devs it'll flicker between 900p to 1080p on XBONE, solid 1080p on PS4).

I was never a "Potions Guy" in any Elder Scroll game and I'm not much of one here. But I'm making an effort (https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/371pjz/complete_guide_to_alchemy/). You really need to work on your alchemy skillz, y0 to get through this game. There are (side-) missions & quests that depend upon you mixing up potions and equipping them into your quick-launch menu before fights. So potion-up!

Lastly, the sword dueling combat is fun, cinematic and challenging enough to make repeated engagements entertaining. My major gripe with Wild Hunt originally was that it felt like I was playing someone else's character (which... I am). So unlike Skyrim or Destiny where you get to make your own 'toon and be the hero, you have to play this grizzled Eastern European Fabio and only through gear you pick up, haircuts and/or playstyles can you try to change him into something approaching what you want. This time, I'm just immersing myself into the lore and getting into Geralt's story; consequently, the playing has been easier and much more fun.

21Kid
February 27th, 2017, 07:45 AM
The only 'potions' I really use are the oils that I apply to my blade.
I'm putting most all of my points into quick attack moves. :rawk: Just call me The Red Viper. ;)

Kchrpm
February 27th, 2017, 08:07 AM
That's a thing?

21Kid
February 27th, 2017, 08:17 AM
Yes. There are potions, decoctions, oils, and bombs (http://www.ign.com/wikis/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/Alchemy) that you can make.

novicius
February 27th, 2017, 08:32 AM
I'm putting most all of my points into quick attack moves. :rawk: Just call me The Red Viper. ;)
How do you destroy Ghoul Nests? I thought you needed b0mbs for that? At least that's how I've been doing it...

GreatScawt
February 27th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Just picked up the expansion pass from the GOG.com sale. I barely got out of the first area because it seemed almost too daunting and I got distracted by other games. I love the Witcher series (I even read a book, and purchased another - highly recommended) so I really need to get back in to it.

21Kid
February 27th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I have a few bombs. But, they're useless in combat, IMO. That's all I use them for, is nests.

novicius
February 27th, 2017, 09:31 AM
Really? The Reddit post I linked says to use them frequently, especially against packs & mobs of enemies.

21Kid
February 27th, 2017, 12:23 PM
If that works for you, then go for it. :cool:

I don't use reddit, walkthroughs, etc... unless it's absolutely necessary (i.e. Dark Souls). So, I'm just going off of what I've learned from feeling the game out. The only spell I really use is my shield spell, and whatever is needed for specific monsters. Like the trap for wraiths.

Otherwise I'm dipping and diving, juking and jiving all over the place.

TheBenior
February 27th, 2017, 03:47 PM
I don't really use any of the potions either, and bombs only for monster nests.

I do use Igni quite a bit, along with Yrden for wraiths and Quen for tougher boss-type monsters (and oils for them).

So... anyone else look at The Witcher 3 and think that almost nobody is immune from their jobs being outsourced for less money? The Witcher 3 cost $81 million in development and marketing, which is less than the biggest multiplatform AAA releases, but game developer salaries in Poland average less than 1/4th what they do in the US and Canada. Granted, I didn't play The Witcher 3 on launch before any patches, but it does seem to be a very well polished game (at least compared to Bethesda games). I can't help but wonder if seeming so well-crafted would be possible if developer salaries were quadrupled.

novicius
February 28th, 2017, 04:50 AM
Equipping the potions on your quick-select menu instead of food items (D-pad), and then the Level 1 bombs on the Signs quick-pick (RB button), using potions & bombs is pretty quick. Left trigger to auto-aim at a distant foe (or group of foes) and then tap the RB. Really quick and Geralt targets them automatically (although it is possible for a target to move away during the throw). Also seeing as it's a single-player game, you can always pause the action and go into your Inventory and eat food for health manually. :assclown: #pocketuniverse

The Level 1 bombs do next-to-no damage but they do Stun/Blind for a few seconds, enough to move up and auto-kill a Wolf or two for example. As you fill out the Alchemy perk tree, the effectiveness grows.

novicius
February 28th, 2017, 07:47 AM
So... anyone else look at The Witcher 3 and think that almost nobody is immune from their jobs being outsourced for less money? The Witcher 3 cost $81 million in development and marketing, which is less than the biggest multiplatform AAA releases, but game developer salaries in Poland average less than 1/4th what they do in the US and Canada. Granted, I didn't play The Witcher 3 on launch before any patches, but it does seem to be a very well polished game (at least compared to Bethesda games). I can't help but wonder if seeming so well-crafted would be possible if developer salaries were quadrupled.
Absolutely! I remember reading about trends in IT a decade ago stating how Indian companies were experiencing increasing competition due to even lower wages and relatively equal highly educated IT workforce in countries like Belarus, Lithuania, Poland and Romania.

novicius
March 7th, 2017, 06:17 AM
Opened up the next map, eschewed the active quest and just plowed into the wilds. Wandering samurai for the win! :rawk:

novicius
April 14th, 2017, 04:12 AM
Since GR:W was stuck downloading a massive update and I'm still too burnt out to play Destiny right now, I booted up my Witcher game.

Man. I'm at the Bloody Baron, Level 4 only, killing and completing all the side-quests I can, and I can only do the main story quest. Every other quest the difficulty ranges from levels 16-33! :lol:

I should really focus more on this title now that I've got GR:W beat...

21Kid
April 14th, 2017, 06:38 AM
I do like how they give you some difficult ones early on. I was able to complete a few that were 10+ levels above where I was because they were search & find missions. I just avoided the overpowered baddies along the way. ;)

Unfortunately, the best gear in the game is unobtainable until you get to a certain location. Which then cancels some of the side quests. So, even though they are lv 14, I couldn't get them until I was 20+ in order to get the side missions. :| At least I was able to improve them to their 2nd & 3rd level upgrades right away though. So, it wasn't totally useless.

novicius
April 14th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Level 20?? Heh I was wondering where you've been at for the last month...

21Kid
April 14th, 2017, 11:27 AM
I finished around 27

TheBenior
April 23rd, 2017, 11:13 PM
Finished the Hearts of Stone expansion, it was excellent.

novicius
May 17th, 2017, 07:00 AM
The Witcher Is Getting A Netflix Series (http://kotaku.com/the-witcher-is-getting-a-netflix-series-1795289049)

FML, now I *have* to finish it! :lol: :up:

novicius
December 20th, 2017, 05:20 AM
Apparently the Netflix show is still in production.

In other news, the XBX patch is now available. :up: :up:

:: Patch Notes ::

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has just received an upgrade patch for Xbox One X enhancing the game to take advantage of the additional power offered by the console. Similar patch for PS4™ Pro has been released a few weeks ago.

The Xbox One X upgrade patch for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt introduces a number of graphical features and tweaks to the game across two visual fidelity options — 4K Mode and Performance Mode.

In 4K Mode the game will run in 4K resolution (or supersampled on a non-4K display) with stable 30fps gameplay, whereas Performance Mode enables dynamic resolution scaling (from 1080p up to 4K) while targeting 60 fps during gameplay. Both modes support HDR.

To switch between these modes you need to access Options > Display

In the Advanced section you will be able to choose between 4K Mode and Performance Mode:

An upgrade patch introducing HDR support will soon be released for the PS4™ Pro console as well.

List of changes for Xbox One X
= 2 new graphic modes: 4K Mode and Performance Mode
= support for 4K resolution
= HDR support
= enhanced shadows, ambient occlusion and texture filtering
= higher resolutions textures
= dynamic resolution scaling (from 1080p to 4K)
Nice! I'll have to set this up to download tonight.

21Kid
December 20th, 2017, 11:28 AM
And get an HDR monitor. ;)

Jason
December 20th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Now that the patch is out, this will be my next game (probably) after I finish up with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 :up:

Tom Servo
January 19th, 2018, 07:42 PM
I thought this had been asked in this thread, but how necessary is it to play the earlier Witcher titles to appreciate the third one. I just started on the first one and it's okay, but the storyline/voice acting so far is making me cringe.

TheBenior
January 19th, 2018, 09:40 PM
I played most of the first one and none of the second, and still enjoyed the third. They do a decent job of bringing you up to speed on things that occurred in the second game. IIRC, the consensus seemed to be that the second was worth playing, but the now really dated first can be skipped.

21Kid
January 22nd, 2018, 09:37 AM
I played 1/2 of the 2nd one and didn't it. You have to take potions before any battle. So, the only way to know what to use on some of the bosses is either trial by error, or reading a walkthrough, which I don't enjoy.

Which is why I was hesitant to try this one. But, I'm glad I did. #3 is an amazing game. I got the gist of the back-story through the flashbacks and character interactions.