PDA

View Full Version : GT Academy 2015, 21st April - 16th June

samoht
April 18th, 2015, 03:56 AM
Four rounds of two weeks each, as last year I think

https://www.gtplanet.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/GTAcademy_2015-638x359.jpg
(screengrab from GTPlanet - https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-academy-2015-set-to-launch-on-tuesday-april-21/)

I'll probably put a bit more effort into them than the regular seasonals, but nothing serious - I've no illusions of being that good. Looking forward to it though!

Anyone here aiming to make a serious tilt at it?

jimeez
April 18th, 2015, 05:00 AM
I am going to give it a go......just for fun though.

samoht
April 20th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Well, this year the race camp is in Dubai, so I won't be able to come and support you if you get through, unlike when Bryan won it.

samoht
April 21st, 2015, 11:46 AM
First round is open.

Unlike in the past, it appears that you have to bronze each round to continue, so don't think you can dust off your PS3 in June and enter then, you'll need to turn a time within the next two weeks.

First round is R35 Nismo at Silverstone, so a familiar circuit from past GT Academies. Seems to understeer a lot on turn-in, but once you get the nose into the corner it can put the power down without washing out.

2'09.200 so far, about 4s off a 'good' time. Gold is 2'11 for 500k credits.

Rare White Ape
April 21st, 2015, 09:54 PM
I golded it after a few laps. About the same pace as you, samoht.

I say "a few laps" because I was on a good time for about ten laps but threw it away each lap because the GT-R is an understeery heap of shit (car journos call it stability).

But then GT6 had trouble with connecting to the ranking server so my time shows up as 2:11.5 :down:

Despite the natural tendency of this "sports car" to be "stable" it's fun to try over come it's lack of line-finding ability by learning the track and where the good turn-in points are for each turn. Sometimes it's how fast I can get into this or that apex without running wide at the exit.

jimeez
April 22nd, 2015, 03:30 AM
I am about .2 behind you guys. The car just won't will not stay in the corners :angry:

Rare White Ape
April 22nd, 2015, 02:08 PM
If you breathe on the brake while the wheels are turned, she'll just plough right on like a John Deere.

Same goes if you breathe on the throttle before a tight apex. So you can't brake too early then compensate by speeding up slightly before apex.

Get it slowed, then get off the pedal, then steer.

SkylineObsession
May 4th, 2015, 09:35 PM
After half an hour to 45 mins, and NO clean laps (each one was DQ lap) i finally set a valid time. Which just happened to be slighter quicker than the gold time. :D

I was just planning on giving up and accepting whatever lap time i ended up with, so the gold was a complete surprise, especially since i only ever did one lap in the 2'11's (DQ time) and no 2'12 laps AFAIK.

I must be out of practice, or just suck at GT in my old age. ;)

samoht
May 5th, 2015, 01:29 PM
The Silverstone round was quite strange, in that sometimes the car would turn in nicely, and other times it would plough wide, and it wasn't obvious what you were doing differently.

The Brands Hatch round that just opened today seems a lot more fun, at least with a wheel.

samoht
May 5th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Got down to 1'25.567 at Brands - this car is ace with TCS 1 and with a wheel, it just drives like a proper FR sports car should, chuck it in, trail brake to the apex, ease onto the power, gentle drift through and out. So sweet. If you've been frustrated by Round 1, don't let that put you off Round 2, it feels like a totally different videogame!

SkylineObsession
May 7th, 2015, 08:47 PM
Once again (Brands hatch this time) i gave up the event once i got a valid time, and once again it was gold.

Mind you it wasn't hard, as mentioned, and it was also a very messy lap, sideways around the 4th (?) corner (heading onto the GP track) but still staying on the lead out of all of you on my friends list.

Nowhere near as frustrating as the Nismo GT-R!

jimeez
May 8th, 2015, 03:41 AM
sitting with a 25.3
This was a bit more fun than the first round. May try to get it down a little more. Quite frustrating to get a tire off and you go spinning like a top. :angry:

CudaMan
May 21st, 2015, 12:02 AM
Had a quick go at these tonight. :) Kind of amazing how the GT3 car at Brands had similar characteristics to the real car, in that you can monster the brakes and turn in on full braking and it gets down to the apex often. Never seen another race car do that, but it works.

LMP2 @ Spa is a good challenge!

Rare White Ape
May 21st, 2015, 06:45 AM
Pfffffft what would you know about that GT3 car?

SkylineObsession
May 21st, 2015, 08:51 PM
Is it tail happy in real life too Bryan? I know with racecars you have to feather the throttle at points (V8 Supercars in particular), so i'm guessing that it would like to get the back out.

Jegato
May 22nd, 2015, 12:28 PM
Pfffffft what would you know about that GT3 car?
LOL

SkylineObsession
May 25th, 2015, 12:10 AM
Best i can manage is a silver time at Spa.
That first 'famous' corner can go suck dogs balls. ;)

harper
May 28th, 2015, 05:47 PM
the LMP2 car is brilliant to drive, the GT3 was pretty awesome too. Glad to hear it's fairly accurate!

I've got money on Round 4 being the GT-R LM. It is at Le Mans, after all. Fingers crossed.

Rare White Ape
June 3rd, 2015, 05:09 AM
'Tis the GT-R LM, Harper.

But I can't drive it. Too much time on Project CARS has caused me to become shit at GT6. It'd be different if I was using a wheel, because it would reduce the gap in feel between the two games, but alas…

And, the car is front wheel drive. So it understeers. I've had it plough more fields than a John Deere.

Meh.

harper
June 3rd, 2015, 05:55 AM
Yeah. It's so, so different. it's a bit weird, and it's hard to tell when it starts pushing and how hard to use the throttle in corners. And I've only done a few laps, but it's bitten me a couple times too. But fucking hell it's quick. I've gotten almost 350 kph down the first part of Mulsanne. And that's definitely faster than I've gotten with the really comparable car, the Toyota TS030.

samoht
June 3rd, 2015, 10:11 AM
Yeah, the LMP1 takes a lot of getting used to.

It's useful to put TCS:1 on to start with, so you aren't just inadvertently bonfiring the fronts.

You have to be quite precise with your braking points, you can't take liberties on corner entry because you'll just miss the apex and run wide. However, once you get the speed and line about right, it starts to come alive. If you're at the right speed at the apex, adding power doesn't cause understeer, instead the diff hooks up. Also, turn in while lifting off and it really arcs into the faster corners.

I started out finding it tough to drive, but with a few more laps I started really enjoying the way it rewards you getting it right, and really liking the drive (this was with the DS3).

A bit like Bowlby's other creation in that regard.

SkylineObsession
June 5th, 2015, 08:53 PM
I was a bit sukky with it, but possibly because my body wanted to go to sleep and i was resisting.

harper
June 9th, 2015, 03:01 AM
Yeah, the LMP1 takes a lot of getting used to.

It's useful to put TCS:1 on to start with, so you aren't just inadvertently bonfiring the fronts.

You have to be quite precise with your braking points, you can't take liberties on corner entry because you'll just miss the apex and run wide. However, once you get the speed and line about right, it starts to come alive. If you're at the right speed at the apex, adding power doesn't cause understeer, instead the diff hooks up. Also, turn in while lifting off and it really arcs into the faster corners.

I started out finding it tough to drive, but with a few more laps I started really enjoying the way it rewards you getting it right, and really liking the drive (this was with the DS3).

A bit like Bowlby's other creation in that regard.

Bolding especially especially true. If you nail it, it just runs like a slot car and it's fucking brilliant. But my instincts are all backwards sometimes, so I lift and it just plows off into a "Lap Time Invalidated".

I'm still trying, because I know I can get the Silver (I'm two seconds off with plenty to gain) and I really want to earn that award.

jimeez
June 10th, 2015, 06:55 PM
Don't really care for it at all. I use a wheel and this thing really shakes the wheel. Looked at a replay and it does bounce. Very stiff suspension. No tcs and anti-lock at 1
Got my Gold and sitting at 3:32.125

I really liked the last round a lot more.