PDA

View Full Version : Lotus is going to build a crossover

Sad, little man
April 29th, 2015, 04:04 PM
If Lotus was raking in the dough, I'd be appalled. But as is, I support this move in hopes it gets them back on solid financial footing so I will continue to have a place to buy spare parts for my car in the future.

Hopefully the end product is not a soul-less suburbanite cruiser.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/04/lotus-crossover-production-confirmed.html

TheBenior
April 29th, 2015, 06:11 PM
I'm a little curious where the platform will come from. The Porsche SUVs have the advantage of sharing development costs with luxury/near-luxury VAG products, which probably allows loaded full-size pickup profit margins.

Lotus will either need to share a platform with another automaker, Proton (which seems iffy for the money Lotus will charge), or develop their own (expensive).

FaultyMario
April 29th, 2015, 06:28 PM
tit-for-tat with a major automaker?

The Toyota ZRs deal must have come with some sort of consulting chips thrown in.

Yw-slayer
April 29th, 2015, 11:11 PM
If it's fucking good and can fit 7 people or 2 mountain bikes in the back I'd consider it instead of a Model X. But only just about.

Leon
April 30th, 2015, 12:49 AM
Shark jump in 3, 2, 1 ...

The359
April 30th, 2015, 01:05 AM
The article does say that development will be shared with Proton, so I assume the both of them will be getting a version of the crossover, similar to the Porsche-VAG situation. I don't think this is necessarily aimed at high luxury, more at a performance SUV similar to a Grand Cherokee SRT8.

speedpimp
April 30th, 2015, 12:53 PM
It will also be built/sold in China and its target is the Porsche Macan.

samoht
April 30th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Wish it was a rival for the Ariel Nomad:
http://9a95cdacd53dec175ce4-7e93ef9cb189e5802f5676deb193c52b.r71.cf3.rackcdn.c om/nomadIntro/fullSize/nomadFront.jpg

Sad, little man
April 30th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Shark jump in 3, 2, 1 ...
Coming down on Lotus for building a crossover is like looking down on a homeless person for taking a job dancing around on a street corner with one of those signs advertising a furniture store sale (I dunno, do they do that over there?)

It's not the most dignified thing in the world, but it's necessary to survive.

If this was just a blatant grab for more cash like the Porsche Cayenne, I'd say the same thing. But really, Lotus needs something they can make some money on. They are selling precisely one model in all of the US right now. It's not sustainable. They need to broaden their product portfolio a little bit.

Leon
April 30th, 2015, 09:54 PM
I'm not a snob

I'd come down on any manufacturer building a crossover :)

Mr Wonder
April 30th, 2015, 09:58 PM
I think there's a fairly robust argument that the Cayenne was necessary for Porsche to survive. While it doesn't dilute the brand as much as a Lotus crossover would, it was (and is still imo) a "cheapening" of the name.

IMOA
May 1st, 2015, 03:07 AM
I used to be quite down on sports car companies building SUVs but the realization that cayenes enable Porsche to build niche cars like the GT's has significantly softened my stance. So now when I see a cayene I don't think 'look at that dickhead driving an abomination' I think 'look at that dickhead driving an abomination. Thanks for that'.

That said, I don't think it will work for lotus not only for the engineering reasons (no acces to a half decent platform' but mainly for status reasons. People in general aspire to own a Porsche and to be able to drive one without the downsides of it being a sportscar is a marketing win. The only people who really aspire to own a lotus are sportscar purists and very few of them are interested in an SUV. Unless they're ladyboys and let's face it, sportscar loving ladyboys aren't all that common.

samoht
May 1st, 2015, 04:48 AM
:D at IMOA thanking the dickheads for subsidising his GT4 :D

Yw-slayer
May 1st, 2015, 05:39 AM
I only know of one.

speedpimp
May 1st, 2015, 02:35 PM
I'm not a snob

I'd come down on any manufacturer building a crossover :)
That is until you find out it moves like a Salsa dancer.

Taimar
May 4th, 2015, 09:16 PM
It's not the most dignified thing in the world, but it's necessary to survive.

Better to rage, rage against the dying of the light. As every once-sacred sports car brand gets ready to build a suburban grocery getter tank for over-privileged D-bags, Colin Chapman vomits in his grave.

Ten years of Cayenne and I still cringe at every Porsche SUV I see, and that horribly ugly sedan. And I'm not even a Porsche guy.

thesameguy
May 4th, 2015, 09:18 PM
It may be ugly, but it's a helluva drive. Boss has Turbo S.

Godson
May 4th, 2015, 10:18 PM
The current model has the best seats out of anything I have sat in for both comfort and holding. Bar none.