PDA

View Full Version : Jason's Love Bean Sequel - Ford Fiesta ST

Jason
June 3rd, 2015, 02:59 AM
The xA has been slowly crapping the bed, not undrivable, but just annoying maintenance, that I finally decided to put said monthly maintenance costs towards a new car payment instead. A Fiesta ST :D

Keith told me to post here, so uh, yeah. I guess there, I done did it.

Mini review:

- It's a car that deserves a better driver than myself
- Clutch is light, transmission is crisp
- Torque is immediate
- Stays flat in the corner
- Functional interior, though I'm uncomfortable with all the new fangled standard do-dads
- Blindspot mirrors are pretty neat

Only 85 miles on it so far... I've read some things that changing oil at around 100 miles is a decent idea to clear out some of the initial crap, then again at somewhere in the low 1000s (1000-5000?) But I think Ford's official suggestions is to just do a change at about 1000, so I dunno. Also, this engine break in period is annoying, I don't drive that much (that many miles)... it's gonna be like 6 months before I get to have fun :|

All in all, though, fantastic car, really good bang for the buck. Definitely the quickest thing I've driven for more than a day or two. Which, isn't saying a whole lot, but its cool for me. :)

Pictures will happen at some point in the future.

Kchrpm
June 3rd, 2015, 06:32 AM
After the Love Bean, Love FiST does make more sense :up:

Kchrpm
June 3rd, 2015, 06:32 AM
Also, this engine break in period is annoying, I don't drive that much (that many miles)... it's gonna be like 6 months before I get to have fun :|
ROAD TRIP!

Godson
June 3rd, 2015, 07:39 AM
Pics or it didn't happen. Especially from your photog self.

I haven't driven a FiST but I have driven the Focus ST. Brilliant car for being FWD

thesameguy
June 3rd, 2015, 08:58 AM
FiST is an awesome ride - I keep thinking about getting one. Fine, fine job!

1. Pics
2. Roadtrip
3. ???

KillerB
June 3rd, 2015, 12:19 PM
Agreed, if I needed something smaller the FiST would be on the list!

What color?

Random
June 3rd, 2015, 12:30 PM
Black, black, black, black, number one!

Jason
June 3rd, 2015, 05:38 PM
Black, duh.

People keep asking for pictures, but I don't know why, there's plenty of pictures of FiSTs online :P

I didn't get the car until late in the evening, so they didn't have time to wash it, but they gave me a voucher to come back and get it properly cleaned a couple times. I also need to have them remove the fucking dealer badge. After that I might take pictures... but I might just wait until I can make the OEM wheels black somehow :)

Kchrpm
June 4th, 2015, 04:56 AM
Black Turbo Hatch Club :up:

Me, Jason, Scott, TheBenior, NickT, who else?

Random
June 4th, 2015, 07:27 AM
Does Maffu's turbo-diesel hatch count? :D

Also tsg has a black Saab 900 SPG, right?

Godson
June 4th, 2015, 08:57 AM
No turbo. Nor hatch. Can I join the club?

21Kid
June 4th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Congrats!

Also, this engine break in period is annoying, I don't drive that much (that many miles)... it's gonna be like 6 months before I get to have fun :| Right at the start of winter. :lol:

They probably want pics of some of your model friends with your car. ;)

After the Love Bean, Love FiST does make more sense :up:
Love FiST. Love it!!! :D

thesameguy
June 4th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Also tsg has a black Saab 900 SPG, right?

Yup.

Jason
June 4th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Love FiST is hilarious, but I'm leaning towards Taco.

Taco Fiesta being my favorite hole in the walk food joint of all time :up:

Alan P
June 4th, 2015, 06:30 PM
Black Turbo Hatch Club :up:

Me, Jason, Scott, TheBenior, NickT, who else?

OOh Ooh, Me! Me!

http://i.imgur.com/HaOsDgG.jpg

thesameguy
June 4th, 2015, 06:46 PM
Yeah!

Black turbohatch club 4 lyf.

neanderthal
June 4th, 2015, 11:16 PM
Nice.

if you're going to paint your wheels black do it properly with the tires off the way off. the best way is to buy used wheels on Craigslist or ebay and take them to a place that finishes or conditions wheels. or you can do it at home I but when you do it that way, the first time you get your tires changed the paint is going to be scratched or marred.

Jason
June 5th, 2015, 01:42 AM
Nice.

if you're going to paint your wheels black do it properly with the tires off the way off. the best way is to buy used wheels on Craigslist or ebay and take them to a place that finishes or conditions wheels. or you can do it at home I but when you do it that way, the first time you get your tires changed the paint is going to be scratched or marred.

Yeah, debating on just getting new wheels because of all the cons of painting/plastidipping/powder coating.

I assume the finish of a third party black wheel is more durable, right?

Random
June 5th, 2015, 08:24 AM
http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1259&stc=1

Sparco Assetto Gara, 17", Black. :hard:

Reasonable weight (18lbs) and reasonable cost ($143/ea) through TireRack.

Random
June 5th, 2015, 08:37 AM
At the cheaper end, there's the Sport Edition SE-17 in "anthracite" for $89. I am a bit of a weight weenie, so I would consider them too heavy at 20 lbs/ea, but you may not have the same scruples. :D

http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1260&stc=1

Random
June 5th, 2015, 08:51 AM
FWIW, 16" wheels and even some 15s fit, if you want to cut cost by going smaller in diameter. Might be slightly more comfortable, too.

The autocrossers seem to mostly be running 16s.

thesameguy
June 5th, 2015, 08:57 AM
You cab get a good result painting them yourself *if* you do it right - scuff, prime, paint, clear. I've done a few sets of wheels now and they finish is durable. What is not durable is rattle can over a factory finish. It will chip away - although it may last quite some time before it does. Plastidip has the usual precautions, though the upside of it being very easy to touch up. ;) Doing it right expect to pay around $15 in supplies per wheel, crappy rattle can probably $5 per wheel, and Plastidip $5-$10. The upside of doing it yourself is being able to leave the tires on - because you'll pay $40 for a dismount/mount/rebalance. That's just wasted money.

Random
June 5th, 2015, 09:04 AM
If you do go the DIY route, I recommend the index card method of tire masking. Worked nicely when I did my BMW wheels.

Not mine, but you get the idea:
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--_BLUfmFu--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/18ve4ahlgo2vnjpg.jpg

21Kid
June 5th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Love FiST is hilarious, but I'm leaning towards Taco.

Taco Fiesta being my favorite hole in the walk food joint of all time :up::|

Except you'll have to explain that to absolutely everyone, because no one will get it besides you.

thesameguy
June 5th, 2015, 09:44 AM
If you do go the DIY route, I recommend the index card method of tire masking. Worked nicely when I did my BMW wheels.

Holy crap, that's brilliant! I use frog tape which works well, but this seems like the bomb beezy!

Jason
June 5th, 2015, 10:12 AM
:|

Except you'll have to explain that to absolutely everyone, because no one will get it besides you.

And "Love Bean" made sense? :lol:

Jason
June 5th, 2015, 10:16 AM
As far as the wheels discussion:

I am not opposed to doing plastidip myself, but I don't have a garage, and frankly I'm not sure if I have the patience... so I'm waiting on a quote from a local shop here to see how much it costs to have them do it professionally.

If it's a boat load of money, I'll go the 3rd party wheel route... I am leaning towards 16 inches just to make the ride a bit more comfortable, being that DC is shit road city. Will get all seasons sometime in the fall, before snow starts to hit, and just use them all year around (yes, I know I lose performance, but frankly I'm not pushing the car to that limit anytime soon anyways).

Alan P
June 5th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Now I don't claim to be the master of all things 'wheel' but I am yet to see a car that didn't come with black wheels that is improved by fitting or painting black wheels. IMO black wheels look awful on most cars.

thesameguy
June 5th, 2015, 02:11 PM
... but it does save having to clean them. ;)

The only way I like black wheels is if they're on a light colored car, or with the proper accent.

This is too much:

http://dudesphotography.smugmug.com/Cars/Dannys-Ford-Fiesta-ST-on-17x8/i-ksWPv4x/1/M/IMG_0050-M.jpg

Kinda half-murdered out, not to my taste.

This is a nice contrast:

http://www.fiestastforum.com/gallery/data/507/2enpbf9.jpg

Something like this works good for me:

http://www.ckcwheels.com/WebRoot/StoreES/Shops/63581487/501A/C3FC/51DE/4C35/345D/C0A8/29B9/2822/BUTZIGTRBLACKPOLISHED3.jpg

Couldn't find a Fiesta or a Focus with similar treatment, although this is kind of a neat idea:

http://www.photostand.co.za/images/6ekfow7k3a5fhkk031ke.jpeg

Jason
June 5th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Black on black is my all time favorite color combo :)

Professional plastidip is about $200 total, and apparently lasts 3 years before touch up (I bet shorter because DC).

Wheels are $400-600 for a set plus shipping and install.

Decisions decisions.

Alan P
June 5th, 2015, 04:37 PM
I posited about black wheels on Pistonheads http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1467167 and got a decidedly mixed response!

TheBenior
June 5th, 2015, 06:09 PM
My Mazdaspeed3 purchased in July came with summer tires. I ended up getting smaller 17" wheels with performance winter tires that I swapped out seasonally. I told myself that I'd get new wheels when I needed new tires, but with my limited mileage (I had a 7-9 mile round trip commute and split mileage with my Miata and bicycle) that took 5 years even with a couple of drives to New Orleans. The tread wasn't even worn out either, but the tires had cracks between the treads due to age :lol:

I'm not a fan of straight up black wheels. They make me think too much of steelies when the car is in motion. Oh, and going down a wheel size will definitely improve the ride and make bending wheels less likely. It can still happen though; I hit a monster Chicago pothole that dented one of my winter wheels.

thesameguy
June 5th, 2015, 06:35 PM
If you can spend $200 and have Plastidip last two years and you definitely want black, I'd strongly consider that. That will give you a chance to see how the tires are comfort-wise and maybe put you in a position to make a bigger financial commitment as the tires start to get old...

Random
June 5th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Here's a FiST running black wheels with the polished outer rims:
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/11043016_10153204065294665_7095034775863354141_n.j pg?oh=bc381e4a2676bf8aba3a0db47cd0f209&oe=560500E9
(local autocrosser)

Those are 15x7 wheels, BTW.

Godson
June 5th, 2015, 07:51 PM
I don't know what the snow situation is in DC, but snow tires for the win.

TheBenior
June 5th, 2015, 10:47 PM
Even when it's just cold and rainy instead of snowing, the extra siping on winter tires makes them awesome in the wet.

Jason
June 6th, 2015, 02:23 AM
Ross - I've had steelies on the Love Bean for 11 years, so I obviously don't mind the look haha. I had the same problems with a set of tires cracking before wearing out the tread, it's what happens when your commute is like 10 city miles.

Russ - Never been a fan of the polished rim look personally... all black for me :rawk:

Tyler - Snow tires are overkill for me, personally. Small/light cars already do ok in the snow, and then if the snow is bad enough and I truly need to get somewhere, I'll take the metro. But generally, when it snows bad enough here, the government shuts down, and I get a day off :) The xA was excellent in the snow with all seasons, though.

TSG (I realize I don't know your name hah) - Either way I'll have to spend $400ish when Winter hits to get all-seasons. So I keep going back and forth on wheels... part of me wants to just get 16"s to get it over with, so I don't have to drive 17"s around DC until the first set of all-seasons wear down (3-5 years down the road, likely :lol:) The big hang up is cost, obviously, because wheels cost a lot more. I'm going to search around and see if I can find decent wheels locally, which might save me some shipping costs.

Jason
June 6th, 2015, 02:25 AM
Plus side of new wheels is, I can potentially sell off the OEM wheels. Though I'm not sure how to price that, or how to price shipping, hah. I imagine that'll cost me $100-200 alone to ship with UPS or whomever.

Jason
June 6th, 2015, 03:54 AM
$900ish (includes mounting and balancing, but not install) for 16" all seasons + rims from tirerack to local installer.

Waiting on a quote from a local shop for 17" all seasons to install to my OEM Wheels... then I'll add that to the cost of PlastiDip, and see if there's a significant price difference... if not, I'll be going new wheels route, and hope the shop will buy my OEMs off me :)

JoshInKC
June 6th, 2015, 04:51 AM
Plus side of new wheels is, I can potentially sell off the OEM wheels. Though I'm not sure how to price that, or how to price shipping, hah. I imagine that'll cost me $100-200 alone to ship with UPS or whomever.

You'd probably get a better price for them online, but given the hassle and expense of shipping something as heavy and bulky as a set of wheels are, you'd probably be a lot better off posting them on craigslist and trying to sell locally.

thesameguy
June 6th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Word. Given DC, there are probably a lot of Focus & Fiesta owners who could use new wheels. :)

Alan P
June 6th, 2015, 04:30 PM
I don't know what the snow situation is in DC, but snow tires for the win.

Now I freely admit that we tend to get inches of snow rather than feet of snow and what we get rarely lasts longer than a week or so but we do occasionally get 6 inches or more and my street never gets gritted or plowed. I'm still using Good Year Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's in 215/45/17, essentially seen as an all weather, all year performance tyre on my front wheel drive Black Turbo Hatch (rear tyres are some no name subsidiary of Yokohama apparently, 'Prestivo Sport) and I've not got stuck yet. Drive to the conditions and don't be a dick and, IMO, you'll be OK.

Jason
June 6th, 2015, 04:34 PM
You'd probably get a better price for them online, but given the hassle and expense of shipping something as heavy and bulky as a set of wheels are, you'd probably be a lot better off posting them on craigslist and trying to sell locally.

Word. Given DC, there are probably a lot of Focus & Fiesta owners who could use new wheels. :)

Good idea, I just hate dealing with random weirdos from CL. :| Guess I'll meet in the parking lot of a high traffic area :lol:

Jason
June 6th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Now I freely admit that we tend to get inches of snow rather than feet of snow and what we get rarely lasts longer than a week or so but we do occasionally get 6 inches or more and my street never gets gritted or plowed. I'm still using Good Year Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's in 215/45/17, essentially seen as an all weather, all year performance tyre on my front wheel drive Black Turbo Hatch (rear tyres are some no name subsidiary of Yokohama apparently, 'Prestivo Sport) and I've not got stuck yet. Drive to the conditions and don't be a dick and, IMO, you'll be OK.

I'm of the opinion that snow tires are only needed if you have a RWD car in a snowy city, or if you live somewhere either in the sticks, or that gets loads and loads of snow. All seasons on my previous fwd cars have been more than adequate.

TheBenior
June 6th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Have you ever driven on winter tires? It's pretty noticeable difference (particularly in braking), even on FWD vehicles.

One can certainly get by on all-seasons, particularly if your snow melts quickly (in Chicago, we get snow followed by prolonged cold temperatures, leading to the snow laying around looking like crap for a couple months), but they'll never be as safe as dedicated winter tires.

Hell, I rode around without incident on a motorcycle with vintage 1978 brakes and leaking front forks, but that didn't mean it was as safe as a bike with modern brakes and suspension.

novicius
June 6th, 2015, 05:26 PM
I'm not a fan of straight up black wheels. They make me think too much of steelies when the car is in motion.
Heh, same here. I just don't like not seeing the rim detail.

Oh, and going down a wheel size will definitely improve the ride and make bending wheels less likely. It can still happen though; I hit a monster Chicago pothole that dented one of my winter wheels.
I'm rolling on some bent 16" rims right now! :lol: #chicagocar

Jason
June 6th, 2015, 06:03 PM
Not saying there isn't a difference, but that I don't need winters, at least here, with a lightweight fwd car. I've never felt any danger or loss of control with all seasons here. So I'm not going to be worry about winter tires on a car that handles better and has more safety features, personally. To me it seems like overkill in DC, unless you're in a rwd car. But, to each their own. I don't feel like storing a set of wheels in my livingroom.

TheBenior
June 6th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Fair enough. I was lucky enough to have a decent hallway closet in the last apartment I stayed in, and basement storage in the condo before that.

Also, I'm guessing that even heavy snowfalls in DC melt a good bit more quickly than they do in Chicago.

KillerB
June 6th, 2015, 09:17 PM
I feel like I missed something... What's wrong with the factory wheels?

thesameguy
June 6th, 2015, 09:34 PM
They aren't black, and super low pro tires aren't fun on bad roads. Ostensibly.

Jason
June 7th, 2015, 01:54 AM
Fair enough. I was lucky enough to have a decent hallway closet in the last apartment I stayed in, and basement storage in the condo before that.

Also, I'm guessing that even heavy snowfalls in DC melt a good bit more quickly than they do in Chicago.
I also take the metro or stay home if it's bad enough ;)

Jason
June 7th, 2015, 01:54 AM
They aren't black, and super low pro tires aren't fun on bad roads. Ostensibly.

Ding ding

thesameguy
June 7th, 2015, 02:52 AM
I have to add ostensibly because I have built up so much scar tissue on my ass from SPGs over the years I have no feeling in my spine.

Jason
June 7th, 2015, 03:29 AM
:lol:

The xA wasn't exactly a smooth ride either, its really more for the fact that low profile + east coast potholes are just asking for a popped tire/bent rim. And frankly I prefer the look of a little bit of sidewall

Rikadyn
June 7th, 2015, 06:24 AM
you could always go Rally Cross style

Random
June 7th, 2015, 07:20 AM
I feel like I missed something... What's wrong with the factory wheels?

They look bad.

Jason
June 7th, 2015, 12:44 PM
They look bad. :lol: :up:

Jason
July 2nd, 2015, 03:23 PM
Leaning towards the Focal F09s, or F13s, they are both $110... I like the F13's look better, but the F09s are 2lbs lighter :P

http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1284&d=1435879182

http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1285&d=1435879183

Paired with General G-Max AS-03s (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=G-MAX+AS-03&partnum=045WR6GMAS03&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2015&autoModel=Fiesta%20ST&autoModClar=)

Jason
July 2nd, 2015, 03:24 PM
Well shit, it shrunk my images when I uploaded them as attachments O.o

Jason
July 2nd, 2015, 03:30 PM
Only external bling I plan on doing other than wheels, is a shark fin antenna:

http://www.focusstshop.com/Visual-Garage-2013-14-Ford-Focus-ST-Shark-Fin-p/vg-sfa13.htm

http://cdn3.volusion.com/xhhtg.vlfsv/v/vspfiles/photos/VG-SFA13-2T.jpg

It's a "Focus" part, but others have used them on their Fiesta with success.

thesameguy
July 2nd, 2015, 03:42 PM
I like the first set of wheels whichever those happen to be, but I would always choose -2lbs over aesthetics.

Jason
July 2nd, 2015, 04:26 PM
Per wheel numbers:

OEM Wheel (22.5) + Tire (19)= 41.5lbs

F09 (17.8) + G-Max AS03 (19)= 36.8lbs (first set of wheels)

F13 (19.8) + G-Max AS03 (19)= 38.8lbs (second set of wheels)

I'm admittedly ignorant on how much of a difference a couple lbs will make per wheel, but those are the numbers. :)

Jason
July 2nd, 2015, 05:06 PM
These look nice too:

http://www.amazon.com/Motegi-Racing-MR125-Finish-4x4-25/dp/B005INF680#Ask

http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1286&d=1435885463

MR125 (15.2) + G-Max AS03 (19)= 34.2lbs :up:

Downside is, they are up to $40/wheel more expensive... but Amazon has them at $125, so maybe I have options there. I have time to decide though, probably holding off until October (after my Germany trip)

novicius
July 2nd, 2015, 05:10 PM
Well shit, it shrunk my images when I uploaded them as attachments O.o
Yep which is why I use OneDrive and hotlink images instead.

Alan P
July 2nd, 2015, 05:58 PM
I'm really not a fan of a Black car with Black wheels. Anything in Silver or Anthracite/Gunmetal?

thesameguy
July 2nd, 2015, 07:43 PM
Downside is, they are up to $40/wheel more expensive... but Amazon has them at $125, so maybe I have options there. I have time to decide though, probably holding off until October (after my Germany trip)

Check out discounttire.com, or their ebay store. Be patient. At least several times a year they offer a $100 rebate on a seat of four wheels and a $100 rebate on a set of four tires. If you happen to catch them at a time when the manufacturer also offers a rebate on four tires, you can really win. The sales are around holidays, and, hey, they're doing it right now:

http://www.discounttire.com/july4thSale.html?sll=hpSpotlight1

Their website sucks - if you go into a store they can generally order anything.

Jason
July 3rd, 2015, 02:25 AM
I'm really not a fan of a Black car with Black wheels. Anything in Silver or Anthracite/Gunmetal?

It's not your car, so you don't need to worry about it :up:

Jason
July 3rd, 2015, 02:26 AM
Check out discounttire.com, or their ebay store. Be patient. At least several times a year they offer a $100 rebate on a seat of four wheels and a $100 rebate on a set of four tires. If you happen to catch them at a time when the manufacturer also offers a rebate on four tires, you can really win. The sales are around holidays, and, hey, they're doing it right now:

http://www.discounttire.com/july4thSale.html?sll=hpSpotlight1

Their website sucks - if you go into a store they can generally order anything.

Unfortunately they don't really exist out here, I remember using them on the west coast though :up:

KillerB
July 3rd, 2015, 02:28 AM
My neighbor has one in Molten Orange with the orange and black Recaros. I think it's shitty we don't get a Mazdaspeed2.

Godson
July 3rd, 2015, 07:00 AM
Discounttiredirect.com

novicius
July 3rd, 2015, 07:13 AM
Deer: Cows of the Forest. :smh:

thesameguy
July 3rd, 2015, 07:39 AM
Drive to NC? :lol:

Jason
July 3rd, 2015, 10:35 AM
I installed ram air today. :|

FaultyMario
July 3rd, 2015, 10:50 AM

Jason
July 3rd, 2015, 12:34 PM
:|

Godson
July 3rd, 2015, 12:34 PM
Why do spoiler tags not work...

Random
July 3rd, 2015, 12:47 PM
They do... but not in mobile browsers (or the mobile style? I forget). I've looked into it a couple times.

Godson
July 3rd, 2015, 01:43 PM
Not in mobile browser. If you switch it to the regular browser you can.

I learn something new everyday!

Jason
July 3rd, 2015, 02:11 PM
They do... but not in mobile browsers (or the mobile style? I forget). I've looked into it a couple times.

Yeah I had to switch to 'full site' to see it on mobile safari.

---

From what I can tell, I'm thinking hood, front left fender, front bumper, front left headlight, front left driving/fog light, associated brackets, possibly the pump for the washer fluid, and maybe the washer fluid container as well, it either punctured, or the pump broke...

The driver's side door couldn't open after, but I think it's because the front fender pushed into it more than anything... so that might just need to be "buffed out" if there's any damage... whereas everything else needs to be replaced.

I drove it two hours (!) to the dealer body shop, and didn't have any mechanical issues (that I know of), so here's hoping!

FaultyMario
July 3rd, 2015, 04:06 PM
Radiator is probably effed, too.
I'd have them check both fans and motors as well.

Jason
July 3rd, 2015, 04:20 PM
They'll be checking it I'm sure, but the coolant temps stayed steady on the two hour drive back to the dealer, so that's a promising sign.

21Kid
July 6th, 2015, 07:22 AM
:( Well, you were planning on keeping it a long time, right?

Jason
July 7th, 2015, 04:00 PM
Estimated time for repair is minimum 2.5 weeks.

Yeah I had to switch to 'full site' to see it on mobile safari.

---

From what I can tell, I'm thinking hood, front left fender, front bumper, front left headlight, front left driving/fog light, associated brackets, possibly the pump for the washer fluid, and maybe the washer fluid container as well, it either punctured, or the pump broke...

The driver's side door couldn't open after, but I think it's because the front fender pushed into it more than anything... so that might just need to be "buffed out" if there's any damage... whereas everything else needs to be replaced.

I drove it two hours (!) to the dealer body shop, and didn't have any mechanical issues (that I know of), so here's hoping!

Radiator is probably effed, too.
I'd have them check both fans and motors as well.

I was pretty spot on about my assessment, and Mario was right about the radiator. :up:

21Kid
July 8th, 2015, 01:28 PM
What did you get for a rental?

Jason
July 8th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Declined a rental. My insurance only covers $30/day, and I know damned well it'd cost much more than that.

thesameguy
July 8th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Orbitz says you can rent a Fiesta for $23/day outta Reagan...

KillerB
July 8th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Yeah I was going to say, you can definitely get a rental for that. A lot of places like Enterprise also have contracts with insurance companies that give you a reduced rate that fits what insurance will cover.

Kchrpm
July 8th, 2015, 03:38 PM
He already has a car, though, he still has the xA, not a huge need for a rental.

KillerB
July 8th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Ah, didn't realize he still had it.

Jason
July 8th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Orbitz says you can rent a Fiesta for $23/day outta Reagan...

Yeah I was going to say, you can definitely get a rental for that. A lot of places like Enterprise also have contracts with insurance companies that give you a reduced rate that fits what insurance will cover.

My experiences with rental car agencies is that I never get the price they advertise :lol:

But yes, still have the xA, and public transportation is convenient. The xA lacks A/C and was* spitting out CEL codes for a while, which is what pushed the FiST purchase.

* - oddly enough, I cleared the latest CEL and it hasn't returned... but driving in the summer without AC sucks balls. So I'll probably try to get that fixed as well *sigh*

Kchrpm
July 8th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Have you charged one of the recharge kits? They're like $40 for a good one, and even if there's a small leak you'll get cold air blowing for a while.

Jason
July 9th, 2015, 02:52 AM
Have you charged one of the recharge kits? They're like $40 for a good one, and even if there's a small leak you'll get cold air blowing for a while.

I got a recharge done at the dealer a couple months back, then it stopped working in a couple weeks... I have a leak somewhere, and I'd rather have it fixed, than doing a recharge kit every couple weeks.

Kchrpm
July 9th, 2015, 03:11 AM
Ah, it's a bad leak, damn.

Godson
July 9th, 2015, 06:48 AM
Likely a small o ring that has failed.

Jason
July 9th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Received a text update that said it'll be ready next Friday. (7/17 instead of 7/25)

I'm 10% excited, 90% skeptical.

Random
July 10th, 2015, 07:36 AM
I'm 10% excited, 90% skeptical.

TWSS.

<-- currently waiting for a PB '15 to actually show up at the dealer...

novicius
July 10th, 2015, 07:48 AM
So you've decided to get FiST'd and not FoST'd, Russ?

Jason
July 10th, 2015, 08:15 AM
xA's CEL is back on, was planning to take it to a mechanic, but then a freelance offer rolled in that I need a car to get to. #firstworldproblems

Jason
July 10th, 2015, 08:16 AM
TWSS.

<-- currently waiting for a PB '15 to actually show up at the dealer...

So you've decided to get FiST'd and not FoST'd, Russ?

Yeah, what Carlo said!

Random
July 10th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Yeah, what Carlo said!

90%, yeah.

The smaller footprint and better fuel economy of the FiST are swaying me over the BIG POWAH and larger cargo capacity of the FoST. The FiST also gets the upgrade Sony-branded stereo as standard equipment. :up:

21Kid
July 10th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Declined a rental. My insurance only covers $30/day, and I know damned well it'd cost much more than that.
You should have just asked for a check for $30/day. ;)

Jason
July 10th, 2015, 01:58 PM
90%, yeah.

The smaller footprint and better fuel economy of the FiST are swaying me over the BIG POWAH and larger cargo capacity of the FoST. The FiST also gets the upgrade Sony-branded stereo as standard equipment. :up:

2016 FiSTs have the Sync 3 which is reported to be much improved over the one in my car (I think it has the Google and Apple integration).

Jason
July 10th, 2015, 01:59 PM

Man, that'd be a sweet option. 👍

Random
July 10th, 2015, 06:04 PM
2016 FiSTs have the Sync 3 which is reported to be much improved over the one in my car (I think it has the Google and Apple integration).

Having Ye Olde Blue Toothe is going to be amazing enough after years of AUX plugs and tape adapters. :lol:

Jason
July 11th, 2015, 02:12 AM
That's basically how it is for me haha. Though I still mostly use a usb cable.

JoshInKC
July 11th, 2015, 03:48 AM
Up until I got the Cruze, I plugged my phone into an aux port whenever I wanted to use it in the car, and didn't consider it an imposition.

Now after only a month, I'm like - "No wireless connection? Cables? What am I a f*cking farm animal?"

Godson
July 11th, 2015, 06:03 AM
Lol!

Jason
July 11th, 2015, 03:37 PM
So since I'm waiting and bored...

I kinda want some amber/yellow fog lights to replace the normal "warm" ones. Any suggestions/wise words?

thesameguy
July 11th, 2015, 03:47 PM
Do it? :D

Yw-slayer
July 11th, 2015, 05:04 PM
AUX should still get you better sound though.

As for the fogs, I stay stock.

Jason
July 11th, 2015, 05:34 PM
Do it? :D

Well yeah, but any brand suggestions, tech suggestions, temp suggestions, experiences, etc? :P

Random
July 11th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Laminex film.

Edit: can't paste the link, but search on Fiesta ST laminex fog. $15/PR.

thesameguy
July 11th, 2015, 06:27 PM
I think it depends on what you want - do you want useful light, a yellow look, or a yellow look light? I'm sure the bulbs are common H11s, so you can get various coated bulbs, actual yellow LEDs, or put a film over the lens. Lots of options. Hard to say which is best, though I'm pretty sure the "yellow fog lights are better" theory was disproven a long time ago. :) So, it's really more a question of what visual effect you're trying to achieve.

If you are made of money, this would be my choice:

http://www.amazon.com/13511-12-Volt-Plasma-Crystal-100-Watt/dp/B000H3TUE2

Kchrpm
July 11th, 2015, 06:37 PM
Multi-color laser fog lights, that burn through the fog with the image of your choice.

Jason
July 12th, 2015, 02:37 AM
I want useful, FYI.

Kchrpm
July 12th, 2015, 03:10 AM
Lasers are super useful.

speedpimp
July 12th, 2015, 07:56 AM
Even more supery useful when used in conjunction with sharks.

thesameguy
July 12th, 2015, 08:39 AM
If you want useful, don't change anything. :)

Any change in color will automatically reduce light output.

PIAA argues that their plasma ion bulb coating does not, FWIW. I will say both my PIAA-equpped fog lights were very bright. Maybe the 4x price premium does buy something. :)

Jason
July 13th, 2015, 01:58 AM
Really, hm... I thought amber/yellow cuts though inclimate conditions better?

novicius
July 13th, 2015, 05:13 AM
If you're murdering-out your FiST, yellow fogs would be cool.

You're also doing the requisite 5% tint on all windows and slamming it on coilovers too, right? :assclown:

Yw-slayer
July 13th, 2015, 05:43 AM
5%? UKiddinBro?

novicius
July 13th, 2015, 06:19 AM
I've heard of some goofballs doing that. Seems like a 'murdered-out' thing to do. :lol:

Kchrpm
July 13th, 2015, 06:26 AM
The first thing Carlo tells everyone to do to their new vehicle is tint, smoke, springs. I don't care if you buy a go-cart, that's what he's going to tell you to do.

novicius
July 13th, 2015, 06:32 AM
Smoke?

FaultyMario
July 13th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Yeah, here we go now!

21Kid
July 13th, 2015, 07:25 AM
So since I'm waiting and bored...

I kinda want some amber/yellow fog lights to replace the normal "warm" ones. Any suggestions/wise words?

Laminex film.

Edit: can't paste the link, but search on Fiesta ST laminex fog. $15/PR.
This was a big thing in the Subaru crowd as well. And this was the preferred method. Colored sticky film also protects the lenses. ;)

Kchrpm
July 13th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Smoke?

Smoked taillights.

novicius
July 13th, 2015, 08:34 AM
Pfft, that's not something I say. :down:

Random
July 13th, 2015, 08:47 AM
This was a big thing in the Subaru crowd as well. And this was the preferred method. Colored sticky film also protects the lenses. ;)

BMWs too. :)

And since the foglights--on E36es at least--were pretty useless, adding tint to them didn't degrade their performance. ;)

thesameguy
July 13th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Really, hm... I thought amber/yellow cuts though inclimate conditions better?

Yeah, no. Urban legend from the '50s based on pseudo-science.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/light_color/light_color.html

And a particularly persistent myth holds that yellow light "penetrates fog better" because blue light scatters more, as evidenced by the sky being blue. The sky is indeed blue because of Rayleigh Scattering—short-wavelength light such as blue, indigo and violet does indeed scatter more—but only in droplets and particles equal or smaller than the wavelength of the light. That's much smaller than the particles and droplets that make up ground-level fog, rain, and snow; there is no Rayleigh Scattering happening to the light from a vehicle's front lamps, and whatever blue light those lamps might be producing does not get scattered by the fog, snow, or rain more than other colours of light.

Jason
July 13th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Yeah, no. Urban legend from the '50s based on pseudo-science.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/light_color/light_color.html

Hm. Weird... I know *I* can see better when there's amber street lights vs modern "sunlight" balanced lights at night. Maybe that's a difference in light intensity?

Jason
July 13th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Ah, I'm starting to understand from some other text... apparently the warmer the light (more red), the less it impacts your eye's sensitivity to light, so when you have a amber/orange/red light, you can use less of it to get detail, compared to a bright white light, and your eyes will keep sensitivity... that doesn't necessarily do much good for fog lights because of all the other light sources bouncing around, and it doesn't necessarily cut through the weather better.

Meh, I still want yellow ;)

thesameguy
July 13th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Ah, I'm starting to understand from some other text... apparently the warmer the light (more red), the less it impacts your eye's sensitivity to light, so when you have a amber/orange/red light, you can use less of it to get detail, compared to a bright white light, and your eyes will keep sensitivity... that doesn't necessarily do much good for fog lights because of all the other light sources bouncing around, and it doesn't necessarily cut through the weather better.

That is essentially my understanding as well. The yellow street lights are there to reduce glare for people looking at them, rather than offer better light. When you aren't looking at them, who cares if your fogs are yellow? :)

Meh, I still want yellow ;)

Ain't no shame in that. My ion crystal PIAA 1400s were the shit!

21Kid
July 14th, 2015, 07:35 AM
Man, that'd be a sweet option. 👍Did you ask? :D Ain't no harm in asking. Just tell them you forgot that was an option. ;)

Jason
July 15th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Rep is saying there's a "good chance" for Friday. *crosses fingers*

Jason
July 17th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Alright, second time's the charm.... car is back and lookin good. :up:

Just gonna ignore the whole debt thing and start with the small dumb things like antenna and maybe fog lights :P

neanderthal
July 17th, 2015, 05:22 PM
Alright, second time's the charm.... car is back and lookin good. :up:

Just gonna ignore the whole debt thing and start with the small dumb things like antenna and maybe fog lights :P

Don't ignore the debt thing. Just start with the practical upgrades first and take your time.

Rikadyn
July 18th, 2015, 12:15 AM
like coilovers and a massive turbo >.>

Jason
July 18th, 2015, 01:23 AM
Don't ignore the debt thing. Just start with the practical upgrades first and take your time.

Already got a plan for the debt thing, so I can ignore it for now :P

TheBenior
July 18th, 2015, 02:34 AM
Is that plan free money for 72 months?

Jason
July 18th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Is that plan free money for 72 months?

It's put the deductible on a 0% promotional card that expires in about 10 months, and use some combo of my two 3-paycheck months, and tax return to pay it off. :up:

21Kid
July 20th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Antenna? What is wrong with the antenna?

Jason
July 20th, 2015, 02:07 PM
I don't like it the way it looks :P

21Kid
July 21st, 2015, 10:11 AM
fair enough. There can't be that many different options though, are there?

thesameguy
July 21st, 2015, 10:15 AM
You might be surprised...

Jason
July 29th, 2015, 03:01 PM
New mechanic for the xA.... the A/C and CEL repairs are to cost $1400+

There goes the ideas of mods for the FiST anytime soon :lol:

Random
July 29th, 2015, 03:05 PM
:confused: How much is it worth with all that in working order?

Jason
July 29th, 2015, 03:13 PM
:confused: How much is it worth with all that in working order?

It's going to the gf... I doubt I can find a used car that I trust for less than $1400. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Random
July 29th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Oh.

Jason
July 30th, 2015, 04:18 AM
Two minor maintenance things so far:

- The light/led that illuminates the cruise control controls flickers. Seems like a loose connection or something, comes on when hitting a bump, turns off when hitting a bump, etc. The actual controls themselves operate normally.

- Clutch gets squeaky when the car is really hot inside (sitting outside in the sun, before the a/c cools it down). Seems to be somewhat common, and service technicians don't do anything about it. Some have sprayed lube on the problem part. http://www.fiestast.org/forum/fiesta-st-maintenance/1460-creaking-clutch-6.html

Jason
August 5th, 2015, 05:46 PM
http://cp-e.com/webstore/product-category/ford/fiesta-st/

Had vague interest in a cp-e part... was informed they're local, and now I'm leaning towards going with a "Stage 1 or Stage 2*" setup from them instead of a Mountune MP215 kit + Intercooler. About the same cost, more power, supporting a local company with great customer service so far (been in talks with a guy there), and frankly the parts look better to me (stupid, but whatever, I'm a visual person).

*Accessport + Intake first, Intercooler + RMM later, then turbo back exhaust down the line.

So.... now to wait until finances stop getting hammered by life. :lol:

Also, the gf got rear ended the first day she drove the xA on her own. She was sitting at a light when some idiot looking at his phone ran into her.

I swear, I'm the Tyler of DC.

novicius
August 5th, 2015, 07:18 PM

TheBenior
August 5th, 2015, 11:41 PM
If it's anything like my last two FWD cars, I'd do RMM first to cut down on wheel hop and shifter movement.

The TRZ RMM on my MS3 didn't add much in the way of vibration after it broke in. The trans mount, however, did.

Jason
August 6th, 2015, 03:15 AM
Probably because I don't drive all that hard, but I haven't experienced either so far, hence why I was gonna wait until I got more powahz.

Modding is probably totally dumb to do considering my driving style, but I want to because I'm excited to own a car that I actively want for once in my life... and boost is fun :D

Godson
August 6th, 2015, 09:45 AM
I swear, I'm the Tyler of DC.

You are skinny and have a goatee.

Jason
August 6th, 2015, 03:38 PM
*beard

Godson
August 6th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Not me then...

(Mutters something about not able to grow a beard)

Kchrpm
August 17th, 2015, 01:50 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/52nryJmzhJlaXrLqz_6Asb4yRctVTSApC-n-ULTe1Oo2=w600-h371-no

Jason
August 17th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Nerd.

Jason
October 19th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Wheels and all-seasons ordered:

https://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/sparco/sparco_ag_b_pdpfull.jpg

And tires: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+COMP-2+A%2FS&partnum=045WR6GFC2ASXL

Apparently the tires review pretty well in dry/wet weather, and are ok for light snow. So hopefully this will give me a good all around tire for my needs. :up:

Random
October 19th, 2015, 09:16 PM
Nice! The Sparcos look good on FiSTs. :)

Jason
October 20th, 2015, 03:46 AM
I just hope I don't curb rash them too much, I parallel park on a daily basis :|

Random
October 20th, 2015, 08:49 AM
Looks like those BFGs have a recessed bead, so I think you'll be ok, unless you really jam the tire/wheel into the curb. ;)

thesameguy
October 20th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Or a deer!

Kchrpm
October 20th, 2015, 09:08 AM
D'oh!

speedpimp
October 20th, 2015, 09:50 AM
D'oh!

a deer!

a female deer

Kchrpm
October 20th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Bump, set, spike :up:

Jason
October 20th, 2015, 09:55 AM

Jason
October 20th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Also, UPS lost one of the wheels/tires already. Good work!

Random
October 20th, 2015, 10:10 AM
FFS.

21Kid
October 20th, 2015, 11:26 AM
I love this forum. <3

Random
October 20th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Nice! The Sparcos look good on FiSTs. :)

Preview:
http://www.fiestastforum.com/gallery/data/2/medium/fiesta-st-sparco1.jpg

Jason
October 20th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Hot diggity damn!

(I don't have the red calipers though, I think that must come with the recaros?)

Jason
October 20th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Three tires are at the installer... one tire is... maybe... in Connecticut.... maybe. :lol:

Random
October 20th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Hot diggity damn!

(I don't have the red calipers though, I think that must come with the recaros?)

I think they came with the grey Rado wheels? A silly option.

thesameguy
October 20th, 2015, 04:05 PM
20hp is not a silly option.

Random
October 20th, 2015, 04:43 PM
It's only +20 if you get Brembo stickers, silly.

Jason
October 21st, 2015, 02:14 AM
Fourth wheel is back on track, should be installed on either Friday or Saturday, if the installer has time for me :up:

Now to figure out who can install mudflaps for me, hm...

thesameguy
October 21st, 2015, 08:50 AM
It's a lot easier with the wheels off!

Mr Wonder
October 21st, 2015, 10:05 AM
Nice wheel choice Jason! Should look a lot better without the red callipers to be honest.

21Kid
October 21st, 2015, 11:43 AM
Spray paint time!

CudaMan
October 21st, 2015, 12:13 PM
Black Bean.

I like black beans.

Sweet wheels!

Jason
October 23rd, 2015, 02:21 PM
Leaning towards Taco or Mean Bean at the moment ;)

Whatever the name... it got a little emo today:

http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1508&d=1445638912

Kchrpm
October 23rd, 2015, 02:32 PM
Slick :up:

Godson
October 23rd, 2015, 06:24 PM
I like

21Kid
October 26th, 2015, 10:04 AM
I like Black Bean... :|

Random
October 30th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Noticed any change in your BT operation with the SYNC update, Jason, better or worse?

Jason
October 31st, 2015, 07:49 PM
Been fine here, I don't use BT though for much, I play music through the phone via usb.

Yw-slayer
November 1st, 2015, 09:36 PM
Great look, brah.

Jason
November 5th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Ordered a few things:

Rally Armor Mud Flaps: (http://www.rallyarmor.com/product_info.php/2013-ford-fiesta-2013-ford-fiesta-mud-flaps-grey-logo-p-1227?osCsid=d09a357965f120e077ed38c2d34fa23f)

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab28/christahoe/IMG_20130124_115815_118.jpg
(closest preview I could find... I ordered black/grey though, vs red)

Cobb Stage 1 pack: (http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/ford-fiesta-st-stage-1-power-package-w-v3-1):

http://media.cobbtuning.com/catalog/products/62FX11_main.jpg

cp-e Front Mount Intercooler (http://cp-e.com/webstore/product/ford-fiesta-st-%CE%B4core-front-mount-intercooler/):

http://cp-e.com/webstore/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/FiestaST_FMIC_01-600x400.jpg

Because why not, debt is fun ;)

thesameguy
November 5th, 2015, 03:52 PM
That's a helluva thing to do! A+!

novicius
November 5th, 2015, 04:22 PM
:up: :up:

TheBenior
November 5th, 2015, 04:24 PM
While an RMM is generally worthwhile in overpowered FWD cars, have you had issues with heat soak in the ST? I'd have it happen to me in the MS3 while sitting at lights in the summer, especially after getting a short-ram intake. A bigger top-mount intercooler took care of it for less than the front mount kits.

Random
November 5th, 2015, 07:13 PM
FiST intercooler is already front-mount, so this (I presume) is just a bigger version?

TheBenior
November 5th, 2015, 11:17 PM
Ah.

A bigger FMIC seems like it'd be unnecessary unless it's trying to prevent heat soak or going in along with a bigger turbo.

Jason
November 6th, 2015, 01:31 AM
Heat soak is an issue for me in DC during the summer with the stock IC. The RMM and filter were kind of a bonus since I got a big discount, but the stock RMM is *really* soft.

Ideally I'd wait on the FMIC until it gets warm again, but I'm just gonna get everything done at one time, so I don't have to deal with it next year.

Oh and also, the larger FMIC allows for a more aggressive tune ('stage 2' tune in the FiST community)

Jason
November 11th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Stage 1 map installed, definitely has more power down low, feels pretty instant. Didn't test WOT at any time, though, because well, this area isn't safe for that during the week haha. Mostly went for an errand run, to see if drivability was still good, and it very much is, if not more so. Still got 35-40mpg on the highway :up: Might be placebo, but the engine also sounds more aggressive.

One thing to note, Russ, if you get an accessport... the instructions suggest a battery charger since the map download/upload takes a few minutes... me, being super smart thought that there was no way it'd churn through a battery that quickly... sure enough when I started the car back up after the process, it struggled to start :lol: It did start, though, thankfully, and has been fine since.

Random
November 11th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Neat!

Fortunately for my wallet, my autocross class prohibits such electronic tomfoolery. :D (So I spend all my money on wheels and tires, instead. :lol:)

XHawkeye
November 13th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Still got 35-40mpg on the highway :up:

How fast you going to get 35-40 mpg? Any time I get over 75 my avg mpg start going down. Get better mpg driving to work then when driving on an interstate.

Jason
November 13th, 2015, 05:05 PM
How fast you going to get 35-40 mpg? Any time I get over 75 my avg mpg start going down. Get better mpg driving to work then when driving on an interstate.

65-70, usually. East coast highways and all. :)

Oh also, cruise control, gets a lot better mileage than I do at the same speed, not sure exactly why, but I won't complain.

Jason
November 23rd, 2015, 10:15 AM
Had mudflaps and an intercooler installed over the weekend (winter problem and summer problem fixed) and did a couple different dyno runs with off the shelf tune, and a base custom tune from a tuner. Loads of power gained downlow. Charge air temps now stay within a couple degrees of ambient, vs climbing quickly with the stock IC. Pretty happy all the way around. The dyno reads really low compared to some out there, so I'm not worried about the numbers, and more looking at percentages gained.

[deleted image]

I'm going for a drive over thanksgiving break, and hope to take some pictures :up:

Edit: What the hell, why did the forums shrink the image so much??

Try 2:

thesameguy
November 23rd, 2015, 10:25 AM
How's hookup?

Jason
November 23rd, 2015, 10:41 AM
The traction control light gives me epilepsy on onramps ;)

(but generally pretty good, I'm not a 'floor it' guy very often)

Godson
November 23rd, 2015, 11:54 AM
Nice gains!

Jason
November 23rd, 2015, 01:27 PM
Should see a fair bit more after some more tuning and a wastegate swap... then I'll be leaving this little torque monster alone :up:

Godson
November 23rd, 2015, 02:17 PM
I'd recommend a synapse BOV.

Jason
November 23rd, 2015, 02:31 PM
I'm admittedly very ignorant when it comes to turbos (ok, cars period), so I've been harassing a couple guys who seemingly aren't trying to just sell me on random parts (one is a tuner, and one is a local installer). I need to actually pick their brains about the whole blow off valve and wastegate thing.

Wastegate is the thing that regulates the pressure of the turbo right? The stock one is extremely weak, hence why one of the big things that tuners recommend is getting a stronger one to hold boost a little longer in the tiny stock turbo. As far as blow off valves, I don't really understand that concept much, but I'm pretty ok with the stock one, because I've never been super into the PSSSHHHHH or PEW PEW noises. The installer guy has a tial bov on his FiST, and it sounded absolutely stupid (which he admitted to and was looking to go back on haha). Every time he let off the throttle it sounded like a cat was being squeezed.

TheBenior
November 23rd, 2015, 03:18 PM
Nice low and mid-range gains, reminds me of my buddy's old GTI 1.8T, which made great mid-range power but definitely petered out up top compared to my Mazdaspeed3, as the MS3 packs a bigger turbo and an extra 0.5L of engine.

I replaced the bypass valve on my MS3 with a Forge BPV, which seemed like made the boost come back on a bit more quickly at the expense of some 'smoothness' in power delivery. I'd also get a coughing sort of noise when I'd shift, but that became less noticeable after I got a turboback exhaust. However, the MS3's BPV wasn't integrated into the turbo like the FiST's is, so replacing it was super easy. Generally, unless you're going big turbo, you're better off sticking with BPVs in cars designed for that recirculation.

Jason
November 30th, 2015, 09:00 AM

Handful of pictures from a small roadtrip over Thanksgiving weekend.

(How does one make attachments bigger inline vs thumbnails?)

Kchrpm
November 30th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Hmm...can you take the image that the inline attachment is linking to, and put that in image tags?

http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1529&d=1448906337

novicius
November 30th, 2015, 09:25 AM

Handful of pictures from a small roadtrip over Thanksgiving weekend.

(How does one make attachments bigger inline vs thumbnails?)
Double-click the image while editing post and it will open up a Properties panel.

Jason
November 30th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Hmm...can you take the image that the inline attachment is linking to, and put that in image tags?

http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1529&d=1448906337

You can, and that's what I often do, but then you have full inline images, and the attachment thumbnails at the bottom.

Other forums just make the attachments bigger by default, so I was wondering if I missed an option somewhere. I think it must be a forum setting thing.

Jason
November 30th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Woah, and I just realized the forum abslutely destroyed the sharpness on the images I uploaded... damn. :(

Kchrpm
November 30th, 2015, 10:02 AM
My current workflow for sharing images is uploading to Google Photos at full-size, "sharing" them by creating an album link (so that the image URLs will work) but not actually posting the share link anywhere, and then manipulating the image URLs to get the image dimensions I want.

Jason
November 30th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Reviewing my mileage logs from the trip.... On one 35 mile stretch I made 49mpg (average speed was 38mph though hah). Got 39mpg on two extended highway stretches, was doing about 70mph with cruise control on.

Cannot complain about those numbers.

Well rounded little beastie.

Random
December 3rd, 2015, 12:55 PM
Ford adding Siri-via-user-iPhone to SYNC: http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/03/ford-sync-siri-eyes-free/

Not much use for me, since Mapper an I are both Android peeps.

Jason
December 3rd, 2015, 03:46 PM
Ford adding Siri-via-user-iPhone to SYNC: http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/03/ford-sync-siri-eyes-free/

Not much use for me, since Mapper an I are both Android peeps.

I don't even have Siri turned on, I find it kind of useless.

Jason
August 2nd, 2017, 01:47 PM
Alright, been a while since I've updated.

I've done no mods since my initial 'stage 2' package, I did however go back to an OTS tune, as Tune+'s was a little aggressive (but powerful!) for my liking, and I don't really have time/reliable areas to do datalogging to finish up the process.

I've had a couple warranty repairs, all within the last month, at about 2 years and 24,000 miles (though, I kinda wish I knew driving time, vs miles, since a lot of my driving time is in stop and go traffic)

Air blend door actuator replaced due to clicking noise under certain air direction settings (basically a gear broke a tooth inside the actuator)
Cruise control button lights stopped working which apparently requires the whole switch
Brake switch failure causing the 'wrench light' (maintenance light that doesn't throw obd codes apparently) to come on. Brake switch failure only caused cruise control and hill assist to not work. Might have impacted brake lights, but I couldn't confirm (also never had anyone yell at me for non working lights).
PCV tube replaced, which was apparently damaged or collapsed some how. I had no indication it was damaged, but they found it when checking things and replaced it.
During the process of replacing the blend door actuator, they missed a screw or something, so I had a loud rattle. They took it apart, found it, fixed it.

Hopefully this trend of things breaking stops here, I'd like to keep the car around for a while. Still love driving the thing, but QC/fit and finish leave much to be desired. I can imagine DC isn't easy on stiff 'cheap' cars, though.

Next up:

Mountune RS-R brake pads. Apparently have less initial bite, but comparable or better overall braking power, and much less brake dust. Wouldn't mind smoother braking in the city, and definitely wouldn't mind less brake dust.
I'd still like to get an exhaust, even if there isn't a huge performance gain. Want a bit more growl.
Next year my hope is to have some paint issues fixed, and have the car detailed or whatever.
Also next year, probably going to do a transmission/brake fluid change, even though it's before recommended. I just figure I should be a bit more aggressive on fluid changes compared to recommended mileage due to the fact that I have a lot of time driving, but not a lot of miles.
When it comes time to replace my tires, I'm thinking of going to 205-50/16 vs 205-45/16 that I have now. The former is slightly bigger than stock, and the latter is slightly smaller than stock in overall tire size. The extra side wall should make the city a bit easier, hopefully not impact handling too much. But I'm probably never going to be taking the thing to 10/10 in corners.

Jason
August 3rd, 2017, 06:08 AM
Update: Tune+ saw my minor critique about their tune, and told me to get in touch, so that was cool. Apparently their older tunes (which I was on) had a more sensitive throttle input, and that's been dialed back a bit in their newer tunes. :up:

Cam
August 3rd, 2017, 06:30 AM
:up: