PDA

View Full Version : Long-lost sibling

Cam
June 25th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Remember this thread from a while back? TL;DR version: Someone close to me and their sibling suspected they had a third sibling based on a few bits of evidence that surfaced two years ago.

http://gtxfrefuge.freeforums.org/odd-parent-child-situation-t1589.html

Coles Notes version update: They talked with an old family friend who confirmed it. This news is hot off the press. I don't know what they will do with this new information. If it wasn't obvious already who I'm talking about, please don't use real names or relationships. I don't want this information to be found through a cursory internet search. I'll know more in a week or two.

thesameguy
June 25th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Wow. Talk about a shakeup!

neanderthal
June 25th, 2015, 03:08 PM
I just found out I have a sister last year. She was raised by a completely different set of parents than mine (my dads ex is her mom. She married some other dude.)

We don't have anything in common other than parentage, and we live in two different continents. With a ten hour time difference between us to boot.

I hardly talk to my dad (we're just not phone people!) and I don't know how to engage a relative stranger over, pretty much nothing we have in common. I met her twice, for a period of 5 minutes total.
My brother and I are trying to convince our dad to move here. She is only just starting to get to know her bio dad. It's complicated.

Good luck.

Tom Servo
June 25th, 2015, 04:51 PM
It's gotta be different with a sister, but that reminds me of meeting my family in Norway. I have no cousins in the US but about 20 or so in Norway. My parents took my sister and I there on a trip and she described it perfectly as "Hey, here's 20 strangers that you have to get along with!"

speedpimp
June 25th, 2015, 04:54 PM
I have an older sister I haven't seen in over thirty years. If/when we meet again pretty sure that much awkwardness will ensue. I know that her oldest son graduated from the US Air Force Academy.

Leon
June 25th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Families are interesting.

It turned out relatively recently (in geological terms ;) ) that I have a cousin who was adopted out at birth cos my Aunt got knocked up at age 17. By all accounts he was raised by a pretty normal family, but he has turned out to have some anger and alcohol issues. Which is a shame, as it meant that my family found him difficult to stay in touch with.

The impressive bit is that the older generation of my family managed to entirely hide this from the younger (my) generation for nearly 40 years.

Cam
October 9th, 2020, 04:47 PM
On Saturday, aforementioned person had an argument with her dad about this issue. The dad continued to deny it. Today, person's mom came clean to her over the phone. Claimed she had a daughter.

This is big progress with her family. If the mom can be believed, aforementioned person has another sister. (Another family member claimed it was a son, but we are not sure who to believe.)

Leon
October 10th, 2020, 12:03 PM
Families ... who'd have 'em eh?

speedpimp
October 10th, 2020, 02:50 PM
I've got a half sister that is 2 1/2 years older than me. The last time I saw her was Christmas Day '82. Over the years I've talked to her on the phone twice, sent her a letter when she lived in the UK and actually had an awkward she recognized me/I didn't recognize her run in at a Best Buy. I know that one of her sons graduated from the AF Academy and that she is living about 100 miles away.

Leon
October 10th, 2020, 03:47 PM
I've got two half siblings. I'm 47, bro is I think 23, sister is 11.

My dad is going to be 69 years old, and having to suddenly deal with a teenage girl. [evil laughter]. Silly man that he is.

Oh yeah, all three of us have same father, and the other two ones have mothers who are people my dad worked with.

Cam
October 10th, 2020, 04:22 PM
Wow.

Leon
October 10th, 2020, 06:08 PM
Indeed so.

The more you know, the worse it gets.

He left my mum, on literally the day my half bro was born to woman 2. That's the level of strength of character we're dealing with here. So he just cleared out, denying that there was another woman, and that he was on a self exploration journey etc. I think it took somewhere in the 6-12 months duration for him to admit the truth.

Then he was working with and in a relationship with woman 2, when he hooked up with woman 3 (who he also worked with). Woman 3 (his current wife) is mum to my sister.

I have NO idea how much of any of this either my bro or sis know. My bro I've met maybe 3-4 times ever. My sister I've met a bunch of times.

I don't think all three of us have been in the same place at the same time until last week.