PDA

View Full Version : MAVTV 500

Reynard
July 3rd, 2015, 02:36 PM
I gotta say, I'm quite surprised not see any mention of this here. Last weekend was easily the best weekend of racing to me this year. Obviously our resident hot shoe got yet another win under his belt, the Formula E championship ends up a 1 point decider, Rossi is Rossi again while Niklas Ajo decides to channel Randy Mamola, I lost a ton of sleep staying up glued to the FoS livestream but the best of all was the Indycar race at Fontana. If you didn't watch it, you should make the time and do so. I can't remember the last time I was so stuck on the edge of my seat for an entire race. Hair raising, nail biting, exhausting... all apply here but not as terrifying as the old Texas races IMO thanks to the larger venue. Anyway here's a lovely little taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL9QRruMA_c

Kchrpm
July 3rd, 2015, 02:39 PM
The drivers have complained about it and said it was like Texas and the other kind of racing that the governing body had agreed to get rid of in the sport before another incident happens like Wheldon's.

It was intense to watch, but maybe too intense to participate in.

The359
July 3rd, 2015, 03:36 PM
And Briscoe's acrobatics are why they're concerned, if he had gone toward the fence we'd have another disaster. I'm fine with having the cars close to each other, but three/four wide is overkill.

Reynard
July 3rd, 2015, 05:12 PM
Just to be clear Keith, "the" drivers didn't complain, "some" did.

I grew up watching Indycars race at Indy, Pocono, Nazareth, Phoenix & Milwaukee, ovals that are banked very little if at all and that's where I believe high powered open wheelers ultimately belong. But I also feel that Fontana & Michigan both have enough room to have excellent racing on them without the danger level getting out of hand. They are completely different animals then the 1.5 mile ovals dotting the countryside now. I know that Indycar's management is beyond fucked up, especially this year (and don't get me started on race control) and their last minute spec/rule changes certainly influenced this race too much. It sucked that there was too much downforce and the tires didn't fall off enough to let a truly fast car pull away in front... but that's more the racer in me talking vs. the race fan.

Look I don't think you have to have a blood lust to enjoy dangerous racing, and all of it is and this type should certainly be that's part of the appeal not just to the fans but all those drivers too, at least when they started out and if they say otherwise 90% of them are lying. All of the accidents I've seen in the past 35 odd years with the worst outcomes have been single car affairs. I have no problem watching the race for what it was and that's fiercely gripping racing. It wasn't the same as the 3 wide around the entire track, all race long IRL races at Texas where I was watching through my fingers covering my eyes for the most part. Barber & Indy were both excellent this season but when I watch them again there will be some fast forwarding going on, not so with this one. :)

And another point, Mr. Briscoe has been in two of the worst airborne catch fence type of wrecks I've ever seen and he had no complaints after this race. So does that mean he's mentally insane or does he just love it too much? ;)

Rare White Ape
July 3rd, 2015, 07:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL9QRruMA_c

Sheeeeeit that was intense.

I was wondering which car Briscoe was in, got my answer when the spotter asked "Are you OK Ryan?"

So THAT was him! Rewind, watch again.

Heh.

Kchrpm
July 3rd, 2015, 09:53 PM
Just to be clear Keith, "the" drivers didn't complain, "some" did.
Fair enough. A couple of the people complaining were Will Power and Tony Kanaan, well-respected veterans, for what it's worth.