PDA

View Full Version : Super License Events

Impreza
January 16th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Is it just me or does the difficulty seriously ramp up the moment you start these?

Thus far in GT6 I've been mostly successful using cars that were somewhat below the allowed PP for any given event. In a few cases I tune the car up closer to the limit to win, but still was able to run the races and get 1st.

Two night ago I started the S level races and as yet haven't been able to win one. I'm working on the 650PP Street Cars and Big Willow, but with no luck so far. I started with a mildly tuned GT-R and have been adding bits and pieces after every attempt. Last night I maxed it out to 652PP, added a few kilos of ballast and still didn't manage to win.

"And the tires?"

I appreciate that they wanted to add the element of fuel consumption and tire degradation at this point... but really? Almost an entire tank of gas and a set of tires (just the front left in this particular case) in 4, max 5 on Hards, laps? :rolleyes: The tires wear so quickly that you can literally go from setting a fastest lap to being unable to drive the last few corners of the subsequent lap. (Qualifying rubber?) Below "3" the tires become almost useless. You have to back off big time to avoid slipping off the track.

I'm loving the challenge, don't get me wrong... but it's the inconsistencies that get irritating.

samoht
January 16th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Co-incidentally, last night I started on the Super class events. I hopped in my brand new FT-1, bolted on Sports Soft tyres, and went to the first Big Willow event. I took a single pit stop at the end of lap 4 of 8, and won by about 5 seconds.

To be fair, I did back off the last few percent to try and preserve the tyres, being just below the point of tyre squeal rather than just on it.

The other point to make, as in many GT6 races, is that you can be a long way behind until near the end, but it's important to keep driving and not give up and restart - in my case I think the lead car pitted on lap 7, which sent me from ~30s behind to ~5s ahead.

Impreza
January 16th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Skid Recovery On or Off?

So far I'm managed a best of 2nd, about 5s behind the leader. The best lap time I can get is in the 1:18 range, and that's a lap that's absolutely cooking the tires. One like that and I can barely finish the 4th lap on the tires. (Maybe I've just got some shit set-up happening... I dunno'.)

SkylineObsession
January 16th, 2014, 11:20 AM
I haven't had much problem with S class events just yet, have won the ones i've done due to careful pit strategy (in the Apricot Hill one i got into first place for the first time in the race in the second or third last lap) and sometimes a bit of luck (last lap of the Willow Springs one the tyres were shot, and the last long sweeper i was pretty much involuntarily sideways around the whole thing, won by a few car lengths?).

Think the Brands Hatch one wasn't too hard either. Can't remember.

samoht
January 16th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Skid recovery off - the only aid I use with road cars is ABS 1.

I just ran it again in my GT-R Black Edition '12, and won by over half a minute.

Car is fully stripped out for 1386kgs, with a couple of power mods. 619hp, 611PP. Running Sports Soft tyres with a single pit stop after 4 laps for a fresh set, plus the recommended ~25 litres of fuel. Front tyres were on 6/10 life left at the end of each stint, so still fairly grippy.

Suspension and gearbox are stock, so there isn't any setup to worry about.

Most of my laps were 1'21s. Obviously apart from lap 1, an in-lap of 1'30 and an out-lap of 1'39. I did one hot lap of 1'19. 11'35 total race time.

Impreza
January 16th, 2014, 11:28 AM
That's basically how I was running to start... could never even come close to the Huayayuarraa! :erm:

samoht
January 16th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Just checked, and my GT-R win today was against a field that did NOT include the Huayura. So it may be simply the luck of the draw - post your total race time when you came 2nd, and that will show us.

SkylineObsession
January 16th, 2014, 12:23 PM
When i did the Willow Springs race there were two (?) Haurayjaoouidfhjoafid's and a McLaren F1 (front of the pack) and Veyron (which started in first and ended in 13th or lower). The Pagani/'s seemed to pit early, so thats how i passed them.

samoht
January 16th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Just did the 20 minutes of Apricot Hill in a fully tuned FD, 612pp I think, racing soft tyres. Two pitstops and I ended up with my left rear tyre down to 3, but still seemed to corner ok ;-)

Impreza
January 16th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Logged in for a quick spin before supper and entered the event. No Hyuaraya in sight. Killed the rest of the field. :rolleyes: Led by the end of lap 3, pitted at the end of f lap 4, regained the lead on lap 6, barrel-rolled (note: do not ditch-hook the final turn at Willow Springs), and still won.

samoht
January 17th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Hehe, ok that confirms the theory, the Huayra makes it a lot harder. I guess you could always try taking a 650pp Huayra yourself...

Did the Suzuka race at the second attempt in the fully tuned FD with a Medium 4 - Soft 3 - Soft 3 tyre strategy, pretty close.
Then had a runaway win at Brands, almost a minute ahead, using two sets of Hards. It rained and all the AI cars pitted, I stayed out. Then it dried up and they pitted again, I kept right on lapping.

Both of those were against a JGTC field.

Dicknose
January 17th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Had the same pit stop luck.
Rains lap 2 and most pit but is over by the end of the lap and they pit again.
So some cars might do 3 stops when you do just 1

Impreza
January 17th, 2014, 05:33 PM
I'm glad these Super Events are challenging if you take the appropriate cars. I'm working on the Suzuka race now, and with the Petronas SC430 I've not been able to win the race.

samoht
January 18th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Had an exciting win at the Ring. Set out on Hards, it soon started raining and reached 100% during my first lap, so very slippery.
End of lap 1, I pitted and put on Intermediates, went out and was going quite a bit faster than the AI. During this lap it stopped raining, end of the lap water was at 32%.
So I stay out, with a minute's lead, and go onto the last lap on Intermediates on a fast-drying track. Unsurprisingly perhaps, the inters start to wear very rapidly. I'm fine until the long straight, where I think I'm home and dry, so blow out the last of my nitrous. What I didn't realise was that I am spinning the rears all the way along the straight, reducing them from 3 to 1 out of 10. I have a massive accident at the left-hand kink under the bridge, then crawl over the line with rear tyres on 0/10, slewing wildly around but still taking the win.

Just lost at Silverstone, the F1 GTR Race car was ~45 secs ahead in a dry race. Time to swap to a car with downforce perhaps?

Impreza
January 18th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Just lost at Silverstone, the F1 GTR Race car was ~45 secs ahead in a dry race. Time to swap to a car with downforce perhaps?

I just re-enter the event until the F1 and the Citroen GT aren't there. Then it makes a great GT3 level field.

samoht
January 19th, 2014, 01:59 AM
So, I got a race without the F1, but with the 'GT by Citroen Race Car'. I thought I'll give it a go, put Medium tyres on the FD, and set off.

Was in 2nd, close behind the Citroen, when I pitted at the end of lap 5. Tyres were about 4 or 5, so put on another set of the same.
End of lap 6, the Citroen pits and I take a ~5s lead. Next few laps I extend that to 14s.
But I've obviously been pushing harder in this second stint, and by the last lap my rear tyres get down to 2. Because they're so loose, the car fishtails around, and the situation becomes a vicious circle. In the last few corners I end up crawling around with TC turned on, fishtailing everywhere, and end up staggering over the line with rear tyres on 0, half a second ahead of the Citroen after 21'30 of racing.

Anyway, I think if I'd taken a bit better care of the tyres on the second stint I could have beat the Citroen more comfortably.

Dicknose
January 20th, 2014, 01:07 AM
But isn't that fun, knowing to go fast but keep it smooth to manage tyres.
You could probably drop a second a lap but overall be quicker because that last lap won't be 8 second slower!