PDA

View Full Version : Fiat 500 "1957"

thesameguy
August 18th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Took the 500e in for a recall (software something or other) and the dealer randomly decided to work VERY SLOWLY so I've had a gas-powered 500 1957 since Friday to beat up. The 1957 comes in special colors, with special wheels, some sort "sport suspension" and... I think that's all. It looks exactly like this:

http://pictures.dealer.com/f/fiatofbirminghamfiat/0281/775848fb5753a9cfc3a68f077b12c7cex.jpg

It's been 3.5 years since I've driven a gas-powered 500 and, you know what, I still like it a lot.

There seems to be something wrong with this particular one... when it's cold the whole thing shakes at low speed, and even when warm the 1->2 shift (of course it's an auto) is intolerably harsh. It honestly feels like something is broken. The car only has 2800 miles on it, so either it's defective, not broken in, or has learned some very bad habits from previous drivers. I dunno. After 2nd, everything works wonderfully and I've been beating the piss out of it. One of my coworkers asked me this morning "what did that tiny little car do to you?" I told her nothing, that's how it likes it.

I feel totally emasculated in a white car with a white interior, but I have received more than one approving nod from other dudes so maybe I'm doing it wrong. One thing I do know, a white leather steering wheels is GROSS. 2800 miles and it was already dirty. Hate to see this thing in five years!

thesameguy
August 18th, 2015, 04:08 PM
This, BTW, is the fancy 1957 interior:

http://www.ancirafiat.com/blogs/1027/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/1957interior.jpg

The seats are really nice. Not like BMW sport seat nice, but really nice. I wish the seats on our 500e were these!

I imagine those headrests will be as gross as the steering wheel in short order. Ick. I prefer my dirt where I can't see it!

Taimar
August 18th, 2015, 07:12 PM
There were many 1960s and 1970s American cars with white interiors, and they're rare now for a reason. Unless you work really hard at keeping a white interior clean, it gets gross fast - and after 20 or 30 years, it's downright awful.

I recall sitting in a '78 Cutlass that was a hundred shades of grey where things had once been white, and that car was less than twenty years old at the time.

Get a nice one, though, and they look fantastic, particularly on a dark-colored car.

Yw-slayer
August 18th, 2015, 10:49 PM
I like the 500 best out of all the retro-ish cars out there.

Godson
August 19th, 2015, 03:19 AM
Totally digging that interior

Rare White Ape
August 19th, 2015, 06:20 AM
I work in a warehouse that deals in expensive furniture.

We have to be so bloody careful when white couches come through, I fucking hate the shit.

Occasionally a customer will have bought a warranty for the fabric or leather upholstery, and sure enough, after five years just prior to the warranty expiring, they get a replacement. They're all fucked from use.

White furniture is for the wankers who have a good couch in another room that never gets sat on.

Free Fiat 500s however, go your hardest! The local dealership here has a 24-hour test drive promotion on at the moment. I'm half tempted to replicate the Days of Thunder rental car scene with it.

M4FFU
August 19th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Get a nice one, though, and they look fantastic, particularly on a dark-colored car.

As an owner of a dark car with light/white interior - never again.

Black seats, above everything, forever more.

thesameguy
August 19th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Driving home last night some older guy in a newer F250 was dogging me and I cut through a swath of traffic to get away - I don't like being followed by a 6,000lb truck in a tiny car. At the next stoplight he ended up along side of me and was just hanging out the window staring like an imbecile. Finally, "Hey, how do you like that thing?"

I was surprised, and unsure whether he was going to be rude or not. But I was honest, "I love these little cars. A lot of fun for what they are."

He nodded, "I gotta get out of this truck, it's killing me. I really like that car."

Not what I expected at all, yet somehow totally consistent with the general attention this car has been getting. I will take some credit for the attention, though, because I tend to drive the bright orange one very conservatively but I have been abusing this one. I think seeing a tiny car getting some boot is appealing to everyone. :D

21Kid
August 19th, 2015, 11:05 AM
I like pleasant surprises like that. :cool:

I don't understand the white interior either.

Kchrpm
August 19th, 2015, 12:23 PM
There are a ton of people that miss white interiors very dearly. They are the kind of people a "1957" model would definitely appeal to.

thesameguy
August 19th, 2015, 12:43 PM
I agree, and those people clearly suffer from a delusion of memory.

21Kid
August 21st, 2015, 10:36 AM
I remember having a lot of fun in my 4cyl mustang. It would stall every time I stopped because the idle was too low. Not only did I learn how to drive stick in that car. But also to swap between braking and revving the engine at a stop.

:D Good times!