PDA

View Full Version : Lifetime Powertrain Protection vs Required Scheduled Maintenance

Kchrpm
August 31st, 2015, 06:23 PM
A local dealer offers lifetime powertrain warranty on all their new and used cars at no additional charge, but only if you perform all of the scheduled maintenance.

http://www.mccluskeychevrolet.com/lifetime-powertrain-protection-3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpyEb0p2y7E

They give no details in writing on the webpage, just that video, which is of course a terrible sign. Most likely you have to get all the maintenance done at their location and with a very small window to go past the schedule.

But, compared to how much an extended warranty would cost, I wonder how this would work out.

Yw-slayer
August 31st, 2015, 06:33 PM
There have to be disclaimers for things like abuse.

But it's always a good idea to perform scheduled maintenance anyway.

Kchrpm
August 31st, 2015, 06:37 PM
I just remembered another dealer offered free tires for as long as you were up on all scheduled maintenance, haven't heard that in a while.

KillerB
August 31st, 2015, 07:02 PM
The Nissan dealer my ex got her Cube from offered this. I figured it was a decent idea since it had a CVT.

George
September 1st, 2015, 06:41 AM
I can see Japanese car dealers doing this without much risk, but it's pretty bold for a Chevy dealer to offer that! :devil:

(giggle)

Phil_SS
September 1st, 2015, 08:42 AM
There are a few dealerships in my area that offer unlimited powertrain warranties. http://www.jimshorkey.com/warranty-forever.htm This place being one of them. The key is that you have to take it to a certified maintenance center.

My Dad has a warranty like that on his Dodge Nitro but all he has to do is bring it in once a year to have them look it over. He does all the scheduled maintenance himself.

And my parents owned a 77 Dodge Van that needed a new transmission in the early 80's. And at that time there was a local transmission place that was offering a lifetime transmission for as long as you owned the vehicle. All you had to do was bring it in for a yearly checkup, it was basically the shops transmission. If anything happened they would have to replace it for free. Well, my parents ended up owning Vanessa (That's what we called the van) until around 2012.

The certificate for the transmission had a line for every year that you brought it in, they would sign and date acknowledging the checkup. Well, it ran out spaces and they had to flip it over and continue on the back. :lol: Those guys actually had an affection for Vanessa, although I am sure they were glad when my parents donated it to a kids summer camp as a vehicle to be used solely on their property. The frame rails had rusted badly and it would not have passed safety inspection. The last time my mom talked to the camp Vanessa was still running strong.

Kchrpm
September 1st, 2015, 08:57 AM
That sounds reasonable :up: And the Vanessa story brought a smile to my face :)

21Kid
September 1st, 2015, 11:33 AM
:up: cool :cool:

Godson
September 1st, 2015, 03:18 PM
... the Vanessa story brought a smile to my face :)

Totally. Vanessa was more than a mode of transportation, she was a member of the family. The way vehicles should be.