PDA

View Full Version : Broken Camera Lens

Cam
September 2nd, 2015, 10:41 AM
You don't need the details, but when Lori was in Alaska, the kit lens broke off the Nikon D90. The little plastic flanges that twist into the metal coupling on the camera body sheared off completely. The camera will still take photos with the lens, if you hold it on with your hand, but it will not stay there on it's own. There are some screws on the back side of the lens that make it look like the piece is replaceable. My question is, is it even worth my while to try to find a part? It's a 7-8 year old lens now and honestly, it's a cheap lens. However, it seems to me that a little plastic ring should be cheap and easy to replace. Is it going to be one of those deals where the replacement part will cost me more than the lens is worth, if I can find a replacement at all?

Freude am Fahren
September 2nd, 2015, 11:04 AM
I'm sure sending it in would be expensive, but if you can find the piece and do it yourself, it might be worth it. I doubt anyone here knows what that piece costs, or whether it's even available. Maybe trying searching for a broken version of the same lens (glass or electronics broken, with the piece you need intact)

Cam
September 2nd, 2015, 11:45 AM
It is called the bayonet mount ring and can be purchased on the internet for a few bucks. I have also found a DIY video on how to replace it. Looks pretty easy. Thread over. :lol:

TheBenior
September 2nd, 2015, 04:55 PM
CRISIS AVERTED

Rare White Ape
September 3rd, 2015, 01:32 AM
Thread deleted. :lol:

FTFY