PDA

View Full Version : Flooding in SC

Cam
October 4th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Things are not good around here. Heavy rains this week-end caused major flooding in low-lying areas. Thankfully, we're on higher ground. Water coming out of the tap is brown.

Could be worse. I'm safe, thanks for asking. :)

Crazed_Insanity
October 4th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Wow! Just saw this in the news too! Hang tight, stay safe!

Cam
October 4th, 2015, 03:32 PM
We now have no running water. Luckily, I filled some large containers this morning. Classes have been cancelled for tomorrow.

Rikadyn
October 4th, 2015, 04:29 PM
buy a boat

TheBenior
October 4th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Good to hear. I was just thinking, "I don't know if Cam's lathe is big enough to make a canoe."

Godson
October 4th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Stay safe. Wear your floaties

overpowered
October 4th, 2015, 07:28 PM
We now have no running water. Luckily, I filled some large containers this morning. Classes have been cancelled for tomorrow.Good thinking.

I keep a couple of 5 gallon bottles filled just in case a water main breaks, which around here could be due to an earthquake or just the pipes rotting out, which happens in various parts of town a couple of times a year.

LHutton
October 5th, 2015, 02:20 AM
France and Italy got 2 months worth in about 2 hours as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-15613133

Mirage
October 5th, 2015, 03:37 AM
Was thinking of you guys yesterday after we talked to my wifes siblings. Wifes sister is stuck in her neighborhood since its one entrance/exit with ponds flooded, her brother said the dirt roads to his house were a raging river. Let me know if you guys need anything.

Clemson/Central area was flooding friday night, we are just glad that tapered off before the clemson-notre dame game, that many people out there could have been very bad,

Cam
October 5th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Lori is in Georgia (the country) for a science conference. Levi and I are fine. Walking around our neighbourhood, you would never know anything was wrong.

Wait, where are you, Mirage?

Mirage
October 5th, 2015, 06:07 AM
I'm in Liberty, in between Greenville and Clemson. My wifes brother and sister are in Gilbert and Lexington. Glad to hear your neighborhood is in good shape, looks like this could take awhile to clean up.

Cam
October 5th, 2015, 07:23 AM
OK, cool. How did I not know this and how have we not met? :lol: We'll have to get together sometime.

drew
October 5th, 2015, 07:45 AM
[ahem] :)

I could probably make a journey too (when the need of pontoons subsides).

Glad you (are all) ok.

We were thinking about you. My gf's cousin is in Camden, it's just a fuckin mess everywhere.

tigeraid
October 5th, 2015, 07:47 AM
Good to hear you're alright. Some scary images on the news. Should rack up the Kayaks and go exploring. ;)

overpowered
October 5th, 2015, 08:54 AM
http://www.nbcnews.com/video/dramatic-rescue-as-pickup-driver-and-good-samaritan-swept-away-538481731681

Mirage
October 5th, 2015, 08:54 AM
OK, cool. How did I not know this and how have we not met? :lol: We'll have to get together sometime.

haha no clue, besides me not posting much. Yea we definitely need to.

Cam
October 5th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Incredulously, it's still raining steady. Just got back from a walk with Levi and it rained hard for a bit.

21Kid
October 5th, 2015, 10:57 AM
[ahem] :)

I could probably make a journey too (when the need of pontoons subsides).

Glad you (are all) ok.

We were thinking about you. My gf's cousin is in Camden, it's just a fuckin mess everywhere.

:eek: You mean you'll actually put some real miles on your car?!?

drew
October 5th, 2015, 12:07 PM
I don't want to break it in too fast!

10 months/6000 miles....You have to ease into this shit. :finger:

21Kid
October 5th, 2015, 01:00 PM
:lol:

George
October 5th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Cam, I was up before the dawn on Sunday morning and flipped on the Weather Channel as I typically do, and I thought of you specifically - just in case you're feeling lonely and insecure and unloved. :p

I watched the storm coverage often this weekend and remembered what it's like to watch a storm roll in and then have to deal with the aftermath, with no power or water, long lines for gasoline and food, price-gouging for things like ice and chainsaws and generators, and all other kinds of general misery for a few days...and that was just for us folks lucky enough not to have the roof blown off their house, or worse.

Living in both Carolinas for a total of 26 years, including downtown Charleston during Hurricane Hugo in '89, and with my parents owning a beach house an island near Wilmington from '82 to '91, and then moving there to live on the island full-time from '91 until around 2004 or so, I've been through (and cleaned up after!) more hurricanes than I can remember. This latest one sounds worse than most, with what the Weather Channel called a "fire hose" of rain storms coming over for hours, right in front of the approaching hurricane. Wow.

Typing this, I just had a strong memory of being a hot, sweaty, filthy mess the next day(s), smelling like two-stroke gas-oil mix and covered in sap from downed pine trees and mosquito bites and who knows what else - probably ticks, too - and the power being out, so only cold showers were available. It was better sometimes to just use the hose and a bucket and sponge to get clean outside, in the sun, than to go freeze in a cold shower inside a dark house, and where we couldn't flush the toilets because the ground was so saturated that the septic field wouldn't flow until the ground dried out.

Ah, good times. :)

Best wishes to those affected by this storm.

Crazed_Insanity
October 5th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Holy cow. Was thinking about whether to request a transfer to SC last year..., glad we didn't!

Or if we ever do, I'll remember to get a place that's away from the ocean and on a hill...

Godson
October 5th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Or if we ever do, I'll remember to get a place that's away from the ocean and on a hill...

Anyone else see the irony?

George
October 5th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Well, that approach solved my hurricane problems. :D

Signed,

High and Dry