PDA

View Full Version : MLB '15 (Postseason)

sandydandy
October 8th, 2015, 08:11 AM
No MLB thread? I thought baseball was America's pastime. Well anyway, I guess I'll start it...the postseason version anyway.

The ALDS starts today and I am stoked! I haven't cared about baseball since the late-90's, but with the sudden success of our Blue Jays, (clinching the AL East for the first time in 22 years), I feel like I'm waking up out of a long coma.

I was a HUGE baseball nut from 1989 to about 1998. I witnessed our competitive years, championship years, then the bitter fallout after 1993. All the big stars we had started leaving/getting traded, and the team was consistently sliding in the standings year after year. What was once a very fun team to watch was anything but that at the time. By the late 90's there was a bit of a buzz with the acquisition of Roger Clemens, but even he couldn't bring us a championship again, and then promptly thumbed his nose at us and went to the Yankees. I'd pretty much quit watching baseball at that time.

Funny enough, I did manage to go to a game or two every couple of years after that. Never really caring about the team, because they just weren't competitive anymore. I just went for the entertainment aspect. I knew who some of the players were, but the whole thing was just background noise for years. Then suddenly this summer there was a lot of buzz in the media, and from my cousins and friends, about some big names the Jays had acquired. Price, Tulowitzki, etc. Plus they started winning. The only player I knew about was Bautista because he'd been here for years, (longest serving current Jay), but then I started watching guys like Donaldson, Encarnacion, Pillar. These guys were phenomenal. What really cemented my interest back into baseball was the August 2nd game against KC, where their douchebag pitcher tried to take Donaldson's head off. The benches cleared, tensions were high. We won that game and it was great, but more importantly I felt magic in the air, something I hadn't felt in 22 years. I've been hooked ever since.

It's been a fun two months getting to know who the players are, and watching this team excel. It's also so exciting that we have the potential AL MVP in our lineup, and the potential Cy Young award winner in our pitching staff.

So the Blue Jays will face Texas today and I'm feeling nervous and excited at the same time.

Who are your picks to advance to the World Series, and win it?

(I know one guy here who loves KC, even though they will get trashed in the ALCS by us!)

Freude am Fahren
October 8th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Keyword: PASTtime :p

My Red Sox are out, so I'm rooting for the Mets (I was born on Long Island afterall). I would be happy to see the Cubs finally win though.

Godson
October 8th, 2015, 11:04 AM
It is feeling an awful lot like '85.

All 4 teams that were in the '85 postseason are here now in 2015. I think history is about to repeat itself. ;)

21Kid
October 8th, 2015, 11:22 AM
We already know the Cubs are going to win...

https://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/cubs-win.jpg

sandydandy
October 8th, 2015, 11:36 AM
It is feeling an awful lot like '85.

All 4 teams that were in the '85 postseason are here now in 2015. I think history is about to repeat itself. ;) It'd better not. :mad:

Godson
October 8th, 2015, 12:16 PM
:)

sandydandy
October 8th, 2015, 04:55 PM
I hate Fox Sports. Really crappy broadcast of the Jays/Rangers game. I wish they would let local networks cover their own teams.

Godson
October 8th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Same. No love for the home team.

TheBenior
October 8th, 2015, 07:01 PM
I support whatever keeps me from ever hearing Joe Buck's fucking voice.

Godson
October 8th, 2015, 07:28 PM
That statement rings true for me also.

sandydandy
October 8th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Home teams getting killed today. Hopefully things return to normal tomorrow.

Godson
October 8th, 2015, 07:43 PM
We played like complete shit. Nobody is hitting for contact. Everyone of our guys is trying to hit the big ball. Let our speed and defense do the work.

sandydandy
October 8th, 2015, 07:50 PM
Here David Price was pitching after an 11 day rest, which was just nonsensical. It was too much rest. He was not as sharp as we're used to seeing. It didn't help that Josh Donaldson almost lost his head sliding into second base. Thankfully he'll be okay and most likely back tomorrow. Otherwise we're probably done.

Godson
October 8th, 2015, 08:14 PM
I saw the Donaldson slide. That was dangerous territory. Both the Jays and the Royals are in a HUGE hole to start the series off. I'll be honest. I wasn't excited to see we were going to play the Astros. They have had our number all year, and they have been red-fucking-hot as of late.

This loss was huge.

sandydandy
October 8th, 2015, 08:22 PM
Luckily for us we have Stroman, (who in the minds of many is more dangerous than Price), starting tomorrow. But honestly, I'm at the point where I'm happy with what the Jays have already accomplished. Anything more is just gravy. Expectations haven't set in for me yet, so if they don't even make it to the next round, I'll still be proud of them and anxiously await spring training.

I know the situation is very different for you in KC. Expectations are extremely high. Very tough atmosphere, I'm sure.

Godson
October 8th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Yeah, the tough part is the Royals are a much more well rounded team this year.

The frustrating part is the Astros are shit on the road (33-48) in regular season and they trotted in hear like they are 58-23. The Royals are 51-30 at home. We should have put this one away quickly and we sure as shit didn't. We played their game, the way they wanted us to.

It's very disconcerting.

Godson
October 9th, 2015, 12:08 PM
And we are still trying to kill the ball.

sandydandy
October 9th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Fuck we lost a heartbreaker in the 14th inning. I love how these useless umps can put themselves in the spotlight and be the deciding factor in a game. This stinks. I feel like punching a Gatorade cooler. :mad:

Godson
October 9th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Tough break for you Jays.

sandydandy
October 9th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Good job, KC. You're in better shape than we are. But anything is possible...

Godson
October 9th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Good job, KC. You're in better shape than we are. But anything is possible...

As last years post season showed me. Anything is possible.

sandydandy
October 10th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Oh man our best reliever, Cecil, is out for the rest of the postseason. He left yesterday's game injured, but we had no idea how bad it was. Now we know it's a torn calf muscle, and he's finished.

Our chances of winning have dwindled into nothingness. This whole thing is due to the curse of Taylor Swift!

Godson
October 10th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Curse of Taylor Swift?

sandydandy
October 10th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Every team has suffered in stadiums she's played her concerts in this year.

http://s1.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/taylor-swift-curse-blue-jays.jpeg

Godson
October 11th, 2015, 12:01 AM
I like that very much ;)

sandydandy
October 11th, 2015, 12:55 PM
You'll also like the fact that she has a show in Arlington next Saturday. Should the Jays fall tonight, and the Rangers play the Royals next round, you'll have a distinct advantage.

Godson
October 11th, 2015, 02:23 PM
;). We NEED to win today.

Godson
October 11th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Congrats to the Jays for staying in this. We are in the same position as you guys right now.

sandydandy
October 11th, 2015, 09:16 PM
It was a great game. Bats came alive and pitching was exceptionally strong. I loved how they had David Price warming up in the bullpen in the 7th. I think it was an intimidation tactic. We live to fight another day.

Godson
October 12th, 2015, 04:43 PM
All I have to say after today's game in Houston.

:lol:

sandydandy
October 12th, 2015, 06:32 PM
Man I thought for sure the Royals were done. Great comeback. Also made our game a nail-biter all the way to the final out. No lead is safe!

Godson
October 13th, 2015, 02:33 AM
The thing that makes me laugh about it, is the Astros forgot about how we fight non-stop. We did the exact same thing last year in the wild card game.

I enjoy the underestimated attitudes.

sandydandy
October 13th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Cards just got eliminated! Best record in baseball this year and what did they get for it? An early exit.

Jays are now the only birds left.

Godson
October 13th, 2015, 06:38 PM
So the possibility of a 1985 alcs/nlcs has now been eliminated.

I want the Royals and the Cubs.

sandydandy
October 14th, 2015, 04:43 AM
Good luck to the Royals and Jays today. Let's have our 1985 rematch. Plus there's bad blood from August 2nd that needs to be settled.

If one of us loses today, then the other I'm sure will be talking to himself on here for the rest of the playoffs. LOL.

Godson
October 14th, 2015, 05:33 AM
Lol. Yeah!

Jason
October 14th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Part of me wants to be hopeful for the Dodgers to actually advance... but the other part of me knows they'll choke again.

Godson
October 14th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Royals and Cubs. That way whatever the outcome, in not mad

sandydandy
October 14th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Blue Jays have advanced in the wildest, most bizarre, most intense game I've ever witnessed!

Your turn, KC.

Godson
October 14th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Astros fans be like :'(

I'm like :lol:

Kchrpm
October 15th, 2015, 07:54 AM
I want the Blue Jays to win it all, for a friend, or the Cubs, for Back to the Future.

Freude am Fahren
October 15th, 2015, 08:42 AM
So that Rangers/Jays play. Everyone is saying they got the call right in the end, but no way. I don't care if the umpire calls time for the wrong reason, he calls time, the play is dead.

99.9% sure that the runner would have been safe had he not called time, but I don't care, you call time, play's dead.

sandydandy
October 15th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Last night's game was just epic. I'm still on cloud nine. I had written the Jays off by mid-game, as Hamels seemed to be getting stronger, and unhittable. Then Encarnacion woke everyone up in the 6th with his massive homerun. Then in the 7th things turned sour with the controversial play that cost us a run. It probably was the correct call by the umps, but a very bitter pill to swallow. I felt bad for our catcher, Martin, who is a Toronto boy, but even worse for the team. Like I said earlier, I didn't mind if the Jays didn't advance, but I sure as hell didn't want them to lose because of a technicality. That would've been awful.

In the bottom line the 7th...I don't know what to say, I think the baseball gods were on our side. Three errors on routine plays, and one error in judgment by Odor, it was unprecedented. It's never happened. Then the *crack*, and bat flip...unbelievable! My eyes were closed right before Bautista dropped that bomb. I can't describe the feeling, such adrenaline. Like the Road Warriors used to say, oh what a rush!

Great ending to such an intense, controversial, and emotionally charged game. I don't think I'll ever see anything like it again. Some of the fans did behave like idiots, but I think the Fox guys were overplaying it a bit much. I saw that woman crying with the baby and, (not to sound cruel), couldn't help but laugh. Why would you bring a baby to a baseball game? The decibel level would do more harm to the kid than being sprayed with beer.

We're ready for the next round, I hope the Jays do well against the Royals. KC should fear our "Bats!" And we should recognize that they are a team that doesn't go away, and can beat you with a thousand paper cuts. It'll be a great ALCS.

Godson
October 15th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Last night's game was just epic. I'm still on cloud nine. I had written the Jays off by mid-game, as Hamels seemed to be getting stronger, and unhittable. Then Encarnacion woke everyone up in the 6th with his massive homerun. Then in the 7th things turned sour with the controversial play that cost us a run. It probably was the correct call by the umps, but a very bitter pill to swallow. I felt bad for our catcher, Martin, who is a Toronto boy, but even worse for the team. Like I said earlier, I didn't mind if the Jays didn't advance, but I sure as hell didn't want them to lose because of a technicality. That would've been awful.

In the bottom line the 7th...I don't know what to say, I think the baseball gods were on our side. Three errors on routine plays, and one error in judgment by Odor, it was unprecedented. It's never happened. Then the *crack*, and bat flip...unbelievable! My eyes were closed right before Bautista dropped that bomb. I can't describe the feeling, such adrenaline. Like the Road Warriors used to say, oh what a rush!

Great ending to such an intense, controversial, and emotionally charged game. I don't think I'll ever see anything like it again. Some of the fans did behave like idiots, but I think the Fox guys were overplaying it a bit much. I saw that woman crying with the baby and, (not to sound cruel), couldn't help but laugh. Why would you bring a baby to a baseball game? The decibel level would do more harm to the kid than being sprayed with beer.

We're ready for the next round, I hope the Jays do well against the Royals. KC should fear our "Bats!" And we should recognize that they are a team that doesn't go away, and can beat you with a thousand paper cuts. It'll be a great ALCS.

Houston thought we should fear their bats...

Godson
October 15th, 2015, 09:41 AM
FFS, I just found out we have to listen to Joe Buck. GOD DAMNIT

Freude am Fahren
October 15th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Almost not even worth it, right?

sandydandy
October 15th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Houston thought we should fear their bats... Houston thought...we know.

FFS, I just found out we have to listen to Joe Buck. GOD DAMNIT Mute the TV...turn up the radio!

Godson
October 15th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Houston thought...we know.

Mute the TV...turn up the radio!

Then the timing is off.

I just hate that fucker. He was gushing over Aaron Rodgers so much one day on TV that I literally turned it off because it was so biased and bad it wasn't worth watching. It also helped it was against a team I had no vested interest in. Rodgers had a good game, but it was NOWHERE near what he was making it out to be. It was a disgrace to good broadcasting.

He was so bad during the World Series last year, that he took away from MadBum's performance in my eyes. Bumgarner had an INSANE series against us, and Joe "fucktard" Buck was sucking his dick so hard that I spent more time cringing every time Joe started talking that the magic of him striking out one of the hardest teams in baseball was negatively impacted.

I hope he gets food poisoning.

sandydandy
October 15th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Honestly, I haven't heard him...unless he was calling the 92 and 93 World Series. I'm suddenly not looking forward to hearing the commentary. Not that it was great or anything in the LDS. But they were getting a little better toward the end.

sandydandy
October 16th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Almost game time. I expect a lot of pitches inside, a lot of hits, some tension, and maybe some monkey business. It'll be an interesting and exciting series.

May the better team win.

Godson
October 16th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Cheers. It's gonna be scrappy.

sandydandy
October 16th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Well that was not very exciting. :|

Volquez was very dominant. Deserves respect for his performance. I'm glad he didn't play dirty this time.

First battle goes to KC, but it's not over yet.

Godson
October 16th, 2015, 07:57 PM
Couple things I noticed. Volquez was dialed in and unwavering. Nothing got to him.

Toronto had issues with the edge of the plate. They would hold their line when hugging the line, but the pitching from us was not afraid to go inside. It was almost like they were trying to size up what we had.

Bautista just over-reacts to everything. Was that pitch high, yeah. But it was nowhere near close enough to get that dramatic fish flop.

Donaldson looks like he wants revenge from last year and might just get an opportunity as long as he is patient.

Encarnacion was pretty much silent with the motion of the bat.

It will be interesting. I definitely don't think it will be a walk in the park. We shut you guys out for only the sixth time this season. Tomorrow will be a totally different game I think.

sandydandy
October 16th, 2015, 09:16 PM
That's just the way Bautista is. Always very intense. There's a joke (which has some truth to it) that he seems to plays better when he's mad. He likes to take his anger out on baseballs. Maybe he was "hulking up". Falling backwards and looking like a jackass during that ball four pitch didn't help. LOL. Plus I didn't like the way he was being a dick to the fans after catching a third out, pretending to toss the ball into the stands but then depositing it into his glove.

Honestly I think the whole team was a little gassed from playing such an emotionally charged game on Wednesday. As a fan I was too. Not to take anything away from Volquez, he pitched an outstanding game, but I think the Jays had trouble getting comfortable. They did manage to make things interesting in the 6th with a couple of guys on, but couldn't capitalize on it. I don't know what the temperature was in KC, but it looked kinda cold. Even the announcers were commenting on it. Not to make excuses for them, but I'm sure it's a bit of an adjustment to go from a warm dome, and even warmer climate in Texas, to suddenly a colder environment. Hopefully they're able to get over that tomorrow.

I thought Estrada pitched quite well tonight, but offense was nowhere to be found. I do hope Price is able to regain his form in tomorrow's game, or he's really of no use to us. No sense in trying to re-sign him for big money if he's going to go cold in the postseason. He kind of reminds me of Jack Morris in 1992 when he came over. Really dominant during the regular season, but fell flat on his face in the ALCS and World Series. The only difference was Morris was a proven playoff performer with the Twins in just the previous year. Price has always struggled in the postseason.

The guy I'm concerned about the most is Tulo, he's really struggling at the plate. It's kind of depressing. He's been a huge fan favourite around here since his acquisition, but lately I keep thinking "easy out" every time he's up.

Looks like the bad blood from August 2nd has dissipated...or maybe this is the calm before the storm. I doubt we'll see any major incidents. The stakes are too high for both teams to engage in shenanigans. Volquez and Donaldson both said prior to the game that it's behind them. I don't think anyone has a problem with pitching inside. That's a normal and acceptable part of the game, but throwing the ball at a person's head is not. I think that was the main point of contention at that time.

I listened to Joe Buck all evening and didn't really find him annoying. I'm not sure where all the hate is coming from for the guy. He seemed to be the only one who knew how to pronounce "Toronto" correctly. The previous guy in the LDS series kept emphasizing the second "T", which hurt my ears.

Godson
October 16th, 2015, 10:03 PM
People hate Joe for his extreme bias when announcing. He had nothing nice to say last year for the Royals no matter how well we perfomred. Even though none of their pitchers, save madbum, could stop our batting.

The weather was chilly. Game started in the 60s, then dropped into the low 50s.

Estrada pitched strong. You can never be mad at a guy who gives up 3 runs in 6(?) Innings. Jays offense was just flat.

sandydandy
October 17th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Game 2 is on. I wonder why the flags are at half-staff.

Random
October 17th, 2015, 12:17 PM
From a Game 1 summary: "Flags were at half-staff at Kauffman Stadium to honor fallen Kansas City firefighters."

Godson
October 17th, 2015, 12:52 PM
Two firefighters lost their lives on Tuesday fighting a big structure fire. Several others where injured. It has been a pretty dark week for Kansas City outside of baseball.

sandydandy
October 17th, 2015, 03:37 PM
What a colossal fuck up by Goins. If you're going for call for it, you should get it. I feel terrible for David Price. He was so effective, retiring 18 in in row before the collapse.

Well congrats to KC. As you know it's best of seven, and anyone can come back from being down 2-0. Even 3-1. You know that second fact very well.

Looking forward to the next game.

Godson
October 17th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Yeah. The mistake by Goins killed you guys. Price was lights out. I'm sad for him because he had the game if it wasn't for that. Let's see what Game 3 brings. So far it has been an interesting series on a few different levels.

sandydandy
October 18th, 2015, 03:55 PM
‎Gotta give credit where it's due, the Royals are living up to their reputation for hacking you to death with base hit after base hit, and manufacturing those runs. We're a pretty resilient ball club, and are no strangers to being down 0-2. I don't think anyone in our clubhouse is feeling like their backs are against the wall, I think we're still very much in this. Game 3 promises to be fantastic.

On a side note, great aerial shot of the two stadiums side by side. It's nice that your teams have their own dedicated stadiums for their respective teams, and are within crawling distance of each other.

The SkyDome, (I refuse to refer to it by its new name), is one of only two ballparks left with fugly artificial grass, (the other being in Tampa). In the 90s there were quite a few of these artificial fields, but now everyone has switched to new stadiums with real grass. It just looks and feels more authentic. There's talk here that we're going to have a dirt infield for next season, which would improve the look dramatically. Then eventually a real grass field by 2018. They're going to permanently configure the stadium for baseball, which will be awesome. Our CFL football team is being kicked out of the dome. They barely draw 12-15K people per game anyway, and are moving to a smaller outdoor stadium, the same one where our MLS soccer team plays. This will be better for them, aesthetically anyway. 15K people in a 20K stadium looks better than 15K in a 50K dome.

Godson
October 18th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Arrowhead (where the Chiefs play) was artificial at one point. Kauffman was also. I can definitely say I prefer the look of the grass compared to the other stuff, even though the recent batch of turf looks pretty damned nice.

sandydandy
October 19th, 2015, 07:22 PM
Ugly win, but fuck we'll take it. Royals just do not go away.

Godson
October 19th, 2015, 07:47 PM
No we don't. You take out Cueto's 8 runs and the story is completely different. I'll post my thoughts on the game tomorrow.

sandydandy
October 19th, 2015, 10:23 PM
This game had me on edge throughout. Even when we were up 9-2, I still wasn't comfortable. No lead is safe against the Royals, and I couldn't breathe easy until all 27 outs were recorded.

You take out Cueto's 8 runs and the story is completely different. Are you saying those 8 runs were not legitimate? Come on man, we earned those runs. It's true that Cueto didn't have his best stuff tonight, but neither did Stroman. Giving up 4 runs in 6 1/3 innings was hardly a spectacular outing. Plus Osuna giving up a homer was a bit of a shock too, considering how dominant he's been lately. But the runs Hendricks gave up were quite normal. I was very nervous in the 9th when I saw him on the hill. Don't know why Gibbons didn't opt to go with Osuna right away.

I found Joe Buck to be a little annoying tonight. His comment about Joe Carter's "infamous" home run in the '93 World Series was more than a little insulting. Plus he and the others were going on and on about the Jays stealing signs. That was getting on my nerves too. Even if it were true, what baseball club doesn't steal signs? Our analysts here were speculating that the Royals were stealing signs in the 7th inning of the last game against David Price. Their lefthanded hitters seemed to hit Price a little too perfectly in that inning after the big error. Were they stealing signs? Quite possibly. Was it a brilliant strategy? Absolutely. In my opinion, it's part of the game. The only way to eliminate it would be to do away with the finger signs in the crotch entirely. Stick an earpiece in every pitcher and catcher's ear so they can communicate with each other, and with the pitching coach, to set up their pitches. Otherwise leave it alone.

I'm glad Tulo decisively broke out of his slump, even though he kind of already did so in Saturday's game. Bit of a bummer that he got tossed from the game. Some of these umps are so pompous, and sit on such a high horse, that it sickens me. Tulo's strikeout was called correctly, and maybe he shouldn't have jabbered on the way he did at the plate, but for the ump to eyeball him on the field afterwards to try to provoke a reaction out of him was uncalled for. He should've been looking at the lineup card and brushing home plate, and leaving private conversations between the infielders to themselves. He was looking for a confrontation and got one, just so he could get the last word in. Dickhead.

Anyway, looking forward to game 4! I feel we stole some of your momentum, but not enough yet. If we win tomorrow, then it's a whole new series.

sandydandy
October 20th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Game 4 has mercifully come to an end. We got blown out. Down 3-1.

Time to take a page out of the Royals' 1985 book.

Godson
October 20th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Game 4 has mercifully come to an end. We got blown out. Down 3-1.

Time to take a page out of the Royals' 1985 book.

And the 1981 LA Dodgers.

Because those were the only two teams in MLB history that have come back to win a series after being down 0-2.

Some of the managerial moves pulled were questionable. Like changing pitchers when down 9-2 because the guy couldn't get an out. That move will hurt you guys going into the next games.

sandydandy
October 20th, 2015, 08:23 PM
I like how you said "games", plural. It'd be sad to see them go down tomorrow night.

I didn't understand why they brought in Pennington to pitch...though it was an historic moment, and amusing to watch.

Godson
October 21st, 2015, 06:25 AM
I dont count my chickens before they hatch.

I guess it was to help reduce the damage to the bullpen. I have no idea. Some of the moves to the bullpens have seriously left me scratching my head this post-season.

sandydandy
October 21st, 2015, 12:33 PM
I dont count my chickens before they hatch. It's okay, I'll count them for you. ;)

Need to jinx this Royals team.

sandydandy
October 21st, 2015, 03:19 PM
Escobar's first out set the tone for this here game 5.

If KC wins the series, he's definitely your MVP. Oops, counting those chickens again. ;)

sandydandy
October 23rd, 2015, 01:06 PM
Westboro Baptist Church to protest outside tonight's Jays-Royals game. (http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/23/westboro-baptist-church-to-blue-jays-god-hates-canada) :rolleyes:

Godson
October 23rd, 2015, 01:44 PM
It is just a publicity stunt. Pay them no attention.

sandydandy
October 23rd, 2015, 06:24 PM
Tight game. That bullshit home run that Moustakas hit is the only difference.

Godson
October 23rd, 2015, 06:31 PM
Good catch by Revere

sandydandy
October 23rd, 2015, 07:32 PM
3-3 in a rain delay. Can't get any more tense.

Godson
October 23rd, 2015, 08:41 PM
No shit. That was a TENSE ninth inning. Gotta hand it to you Jays, they took a page from us and tried to play our game against us.

It was fun ;). Now, onto the WS

sandydandy
October 23rd, 2015, 09:07 PM
Good luck to the Royals. I hope you win the World Series. For the fans. They're the ones who matter.

We'll get our chance again.

Did they announce the ALCS MVP? Gotta be Escobar.

Edit - just checked, yeah Escobar. He was outstanding.

sandydandy
October 23rd, 2015, 09:21 PM
I didn't think I'd be sad but I am. I tried to remain as detached as possible, but it's just so engrossing and so addictive. I wasn't ready for it to end, but it has. I'm not a "sports guy" in general, (aside from a UFC obsession that came and passed), and I live in an utter loser town when it comes to major sports, but the Jays grabbed me by the throat and dragged me kicking and screaming on an amazing ride, and I'm just so grateful. Haven't felt this way since high school.

Now it's over. But on the bright side my life can go back to normal. I was so preoccupied with baseball for the last three months, and especially this month. I've made peace with the season, and now I can resume with my normal routine. :D

Freude am Fahren
October 23rd, 2015, 09:25 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--WGjB2Zwq--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1487470909034017196.jpg

Freude am Fahren
October 23rd, 2015, 09:53 PM
Tight game. That bullshit home run that Moustakas hit is the only difference.

I can't even tell from what is "in" and what is "out" on that fence. There like the wall, then a second bit of wall, then some kind of screen, and maybe a railing? Not quite as obvious as that Jeter HR against the O's.

Godson
October 23rd, 2015, 10:54 PM
The actual 'home run' area is the first padded wall. The additional padded wall above that is to prevent the fans from grabbing a ball that would be in play. Anything that hits that area is considered a hr.

During the rain delay, they showed it again, and it had actually cleared the secondary boundary wall, hit the fencing underneath the railing.

With that said. The second called strike on Revere was questionable. I honestly thought it was a ball.

Godson
October 27th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Nitty-gritty game. Damn its good but I'm uncomfortable.

Godson
October 27th, 2015, 08:43 PM
This game is going to force me to lose my job.

Godson
October 27th, 2015, 09:23 PM
:)

sandydandy
October 28th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Sad news about Volquez' dad dying before the game. There are conflicting reports speculating on whether or not he knew before starting. According to Yost he didn't know until after he was pulled. At first blush that sounds like a really lousy and callous thing to do to a man, but apparently they were following the wishes of his wife, which changes things. I've had my negative opinions on Volquez this year, but I feel for the guy.

Great win, BTW. Not that I was watching. ;)

Godson
October 28th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Yeah. It is a shitty situation no matter how you look at it. No good answers.

Godson
October 28th, 2015, 06:42 PM
Esky makes a hell of a play. No congrats or anything. Fuck Joe Buck and Harold Reynolds

Godson
October 28th, 2015, 06:52 PM
And the knife goes deeper. Time to twist it a little bit.

Godson
October 28th, 2015, 07:08 PM
:-D

JoshInKC
October 28th, 2015, 07:16 PM
That was pretty relaxing as compared to last night.

Godson
October 28th, 2015, 08:31 PM
No shit. We should get together for a game and some beer sometime.

Godson
October 30th, 2015, 06:53 PM
Our fielding tonight is a joke.

sandydandy
October 31st, 2015, 01:03 PM
Gold Glove finalists were announced. A lot of Royals and Blue Jays made the list.

Here there's turmoil in the front office. Alex Anthopolous opted to not return as GM. Turned down a very sweet deal - $10M over five years, with the option of an out after one year if he wasn't happy. They were saying it would have been the richest deal for a GM in baseball, but for some reason he turned it down. There's speculation that he didn't want to work with the new incoming president, Mark Shapiro, from Cleveland. It's a PR nightmare for the Blue Jays organization, and especially their parent company, Rogers Communications. Fans are in complete uproar, and are ready to skin Shapiro alive.

I don't think we'll ever know the true story, but all that matters is the product on the field. If that's impacted negatively, then whatever was accomplished this season will be for nothing. Such a deflating feeling after such a wonderful run.

Random
October 31st, 2015, 01:25 PM
Check out the current 49ers dumpster fire for a glimpse of what may be. :|

sandydandy
October 31st, 2015, 03:49 PM
I don't really follow football, but I checked the standings and understand what you mean.

But we're used to that in this town, (see the Leaves). :lol:

Who knows, maybe the Jays will storm out of the gate and go 20-5 in April. I'm sure all will be forgiven then, and nobody will even remember Anthop's name.

Godson
October 31st, 2015, 08:35 PM
Wade "mother-fucking" Davis is a bad mofo

sandydandy
November 1st, 2015, 08:20 PM
Bartolo Colon looks like a janitor.

Godson
November 1st, 2015, 09:48 PM
:'-)

sandydandy
November 2nd, 2015, 05:04 AM
Well obviously major congrats are in order for the Royals. They were (annoyingly) unstoppable, and seemed to always find a way to win throughout the postseason. Terry Collins should've known that before putting Harvey's ego ahead of the Mets' best interests in the 9th. What a screw up there that will haunt him for a while.

One thing I noticed in baseball...players and coaches on the losing team don't line up to congratulate the winning team. I saw Collins go straight into the clubhouse after the third and final out. It's not like that in hockey. There's always sportsmanship shown at the end. Especially among the coaches. I think they do that in basketball too, not sure about football. Interesting.

Well anyway, it's been a fun almost one month on this thread. We got it to a hundred posts. Can't wait for spring training. Hopefully next fall it's our Blue Jays doing what the Royals did last night. Congrats again! :)

Kchrpm
November 2nd, 2015, 06:11 AM
In college basketball they line up and do handshakes, but not in pro basketball, college football or pro football. I don't know about college baseball.

In pro football the coaches give each other a handshake, and then the rest is just free form, players find each other and interact/chat (sometimes exchanging jerseys/equipment), and then there's a group prayer at the center of the field that anyone can join (I don't know what the etiquette is on who leads it).

sandydandy
November 2nd, 2015, 07:32 AM
Oh yeah you're right, it's more informal in the NBA and NFL. I wonder why it's not done in MLB. At least the losing manager should walk up to the winning one and shake his hand. The players only if they want to.

Godson
November 2nd, 2015, 03:04 PM
It is kinda all setting in. Alot of people are going to the parade. All the schools have taken a snow day so more people can go to the parade. I work so I can't go.

Still kinda unreal though.

JoshInKC
November 3rd, 2015, 03:48 AM
Yeah, based on conversations I overheard yesterday, I think KU will likely be severely underpopulated today - by both students and professors. Several departments at my wife's workplace are chartering buses to take them down there.
As pleased as I am that they won, there is no way in hell anyone could get me anywhere near the parade. It's likely to be a nightmare.

sandydandy
November 3rd, 2015, 09:02 AM
It is kinda all setting in. Alot of people are going to the parade. All the schools have taken a snow day so more people can go to the parade. I work so I can't go.

Still kinda unreal though. I remember the feeling from two decades ago. I also remember being in high school at the time, so unlimited freedom, (but no money), to go to the parade.

Godson
November 3rd, 2015, 02:41 PM
Downtown was a complete and awesome mess. They were planning on 200k. The photos I have seen look to be closer to 500k+

Godson
November 4th, 2015, 05:22 PM
So Rios and Guthrie have been released. Alex Gordon has passed on his option. Pretty big news on gordo. However, I know Dayton Moore is working some magic in the background, and am curious to see what comes from this.

sandydandy
November 9th, 2015, 12:53 PM
I was listening to our sports radio station today, something that has been a fun exercise in recent memory, but has now become increasingly annoying activity. David Price is not going to sign with the Jays for next year, and Marco Estrada likely won't either. Apparently some ANALyst wrote an article recently that Price to the Cubs is a sure thing. Estrada to the A's.‎ I'm suddenly reminded again of why I hate team sports, and why I quit watching the Jays in the first place many years ago. ‎The euphoria of this season has completely worn off.

You'd think these players would have even the tiniest shred of loyalty to fans and to the organization given how close we got to the World Series. And you'd think the Jays would step up and give these fuckers what they want in order to keep them here and not disrupt the chemistry of the team.

This sucks arse.

Godson
November 9th, 2015, 05:33 PM
We might not have Gordon next year. Zobrist has flat out said he and his wife want to stay. Hell, they named their daughter Blaise Royal Zobrist. We shall see.

sandydandy
November 9th, 2015, 08:36 PM
I read the Yankees are eyeing Zobrist.

Godson
November 10th, 2015, 08:01 AM
Of course they are. Fuck the Yankees.

sandydandy
December 1st, 2015, 01:26 PM
Fucking David Price. Signed with Boston.

Freude am Fahren
December 1st, 2015, 02:35 PM
:D Gonna need more than that though.

Godson
December 1st, 2015, 03:11 PM
Interesting...

Godson
December 1st, 2015, 03:12 PM
Jesus Christ! 7-year. 217million!!!!

What in the FUCK

sandydandy
December 1st, 2015, 04:49 PM
What irritates me is that the Jays didn't even bother to make him an offer. They could've matched that, presumably.

Godson
December 1st, 2015, 07:02 PM
I think massive deals like that for a player are honestly pretty dumb. Jays had a hell of a dangerous batting lineup because of the culmination of the players. Price was part of it, not the entirety. That sum of money could literally have payed for the entire Royals team pay for nearly 2 full seasons...

sandydandy
December 2nd, 2015, 08:02 AM
The Jays real success happened in the last two months of the regular season, and Price was the catalyst, (and Tulowitzki to some degree). They were 50-51 at the All Star break.

I would've expected them to at least make the man an offer and get some dialogue going, but they didn't even try. I'm less mad at Price than I am at the organization. Suddenly I'm dreading next season.