PDA

View Full Version : Robber Baron thinks you oughr to retire at 75 and work 11 hour shifts

FaultyMario
October 16th, 2015, 01:18 PM
But only three times a week (http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/08/investing/carlos-slim-3-day-work-week-will-happen/).

I know, this sounds like total dockonomics... But still, discuss.

thesameguy
October 16th, 2015, 02:14 PM
I used to work 4 10s and it was great. I would gladly trade up to 3 11s. Sign me up. I might be okay with 7 5s, now that I think about it. I think 5 8s is ridiculous, because it totally murders 70% of the week.

I am also okay conceptually with working til 75 - especially if that's doing 3 11s. My dad retired at 72 or 73 primarily because he could not find a job that was better than his pension, but he was not prepared to retire. I might feel differently in another 30-40 years, but right now I can't stand not working. I'm good for a week or two, but after that I need something productive to do. Need.

FaultyMario
October 16th, 2015, 02:17 PM
I believe people reach a profesional maturity later in life and 3/11s would allow people ib their fifties not reach it all that banged up.

thesameguy
October 16th, 2015, 02:24 PM
I will tell you I was a LOT more relaxed doing 4 10s. Working an 8 hour day means there isn't quite enough time to be useful or even fun at home and still be okay the next day and there is no opportunity for overtime without starting to impact eating and sleeping. I would rather a work day totally wipe out a calendar day - Sleep-work-sleep-work-sleep-work-sleep and then four days of unmitigated personal time would almost certainly improve quality of life. And, if you ended up needing a slightly longer work day you're not affecting work or sleep.

On the subject of wishful chronologies, I think governments should be shut down during the day and operate only at night. Balances road and resource use, and gives The People access to their governments without having to take time from work to do it. Having to work swing shifts is a great penalty for having a government job too.

Here's to 3 11s and nocturnal governments!

Godson
October 16th, 2015, 02:39 PM
I work 4 tens. This is why I made the switch to nursing.

Nocturnal government would be amazing.

speedpimp
October 16th, 2015, 03:38 PM
I worked 54 hrs in five days this week. The longest day was 12.5 hrs, the shortest was 7.5.

Random
October 16th, 2015, 07:40 PM
Here's to 3 11s and nocturnal governments!

Nocturnal government would be amazing.

Oi! :mad:

Tim used to work 4-10s, but he set his schedule so that he had Wednesday off. Worked great for getting all his errands done and leaving free time for the weekend. :)

Drachen596
October 17th, 2015, 12:27 AM
normal work week for me is 3 11s and a 7 for my 40. the last two weeks i did 7 12s.

LHutton
October 17th, 2015, 12:51 AM
Pros and cons to it. You would get awful stiff those 3 days but then you'll get to see daylight 4 times a week in winter. Not sure how well human concentration works over 11 hour periods for thought intense jobs though. I kind of enjoy my pre-work workout too. Wouldn't have time for that with 11 hour shifts. Add in lunch and commuting and we're really talking about 13 hour shifts, 8am-9pm. How well would you sleep if you left work at 9pm had dinner and then went to sleep? I know my mind wouldn't shut down that quick.

I'll take a French 32 hour week though and heck, it seems to work, they still have a car industry and a space industry and the same GDP as the UK without the big fact BS financial sector.

KillerB
October 18th, 2015, 11:18 AM
I've done 12s. Sign me up!

Crazed_Insanity
October 18th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Workers with family, it probably wouldn't be practical having such long work days.

With regard to retirement, surely people should work as long as they want... Or retire as early as they want.

thesameguy
October 18th, 2015, 02:46 PM
3 11s would let a couple split a week so that someone is always home with the kids instead of two people who never see their owns kids save weekends.

Jason
October 18th, 2015, 03:57 PM
I would prefer switching down to 4-10, or 3-12. I hate 5 day work weeks.

And, frankly, this generation is never going to retire.

Crazed_Insanity
October 18th, 2015, 05:55 PM
3 11s would let a couple split a week so that someone is always home with the kids instead of two people who never see their owns kids save weekends.
That's the other part of work/life balance..., what good is able to see your kids but never able to see your lover?

TheBenior
October 18th, 2015, 06:01 PM
I do 4 9hr days followed by 2 days off, which is a lot better than the 6 8hr days followed by 2 off that I had before.

Since I work nights, rotating days off definitely has negative effects on the social life.

GB
October 19th, 2015, 01:17 AM
[THE GOOD] I work 3 days/week right now, each shift varies from 10 to 12 hours depending on workload. It's awesome... I'm off all week while most of you losers are working. :toast:

[THE BAD] I work every Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday night.

[THE GOOD] I take 3 vacation days, and I'm off for 2 weeks!

[THE GOOD] With pay differentials for 3rd shift and weekend hours, I make more working 3 days that I did working 5!

LHutton
October 19th, 2015, 01:43 AM
The 75 retirement age is ridiculous. Many people will be too ill to work at that age, especially if it's a physical job.

Godson
October 19th, 2015, 07:12 AM
The 75 retirement age is ridiculous. Many people will be too ill to work at that age, especially if it's a physical job.

If you say so.

Crazed_Insanity
October 19th, 2015, 09:12 AM
I don't think they meant to force everyone to work to 75, it's just that we shouldn't expect retirement as a 'right' at age 65 anymore.

Just don't look forward to retirement but expect laid offs! :p

TheBenior
October 19th, 2015, 11:14 AM
If you say so.

He's not wrong. (http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2015/03/baby_boomers_delaying_retirement_it_s_a_myth_becau se_retirement_is_inevitable.html)

Only a Third of the Oldest Baby Boomers in the US Still Working (http://www.gallup.com/poll/181292/third-oldest-baby-boomers-working.aspx)

Despite some expectations that baby boomers will defy the usual working patterns of aging Americans and stay in the workforce longer than those who came before them, the data do not appear to support that expectation. Boomers aged 65 to 68 are retiring at about the same rate as those who were in that age range a few years ago. By age 68, only about a third of boomers are still in the workforce, including just 16% who are working full time.

Between failing bodies, age discrimination, and having to take care of less-healthy relatives, a retirement age of 75 is only somewhat more plausible of a retirement plan than winning the lottery. The main reason that people figure they'll work longer is the abject failure of 401(k) plans at replacing the security provided by defined-benefit pensions (average amount held in 401(k) accounts of those 55+: $165,000).

thesameguy
October 19th, 2015, 11:38 AM
I am less worried about not being able to do my job and more worried about age discrimination. I am definitely in a field where you just age out - me now probably wouldn't hire me then. Not for age per se, but rather things that come with age. I get it, it sucks.

I do think I can find other things to do, however. Maybe I can't administrate networks forever, but I'd like to think I could work at CarMax, work for a company that does application, training, or - if I get off my ass - earn a little income doing some sort of craft work (sadly, not Kraftwerk). Woodworking (and techno) has always interested me, and I would enjoy a future like my friend Alvero who builds high-end standalone cabinetry (like armoires) to supplement his income. He makes a few of them a year at $10k each, half of which is his labor. An extra $15k on top of SS and 401k would be great - especially because it's an active and productive time-filler.

There are definitely some jobs you can't do forever - you're not going to actively be building houses at 75, but you have to prep yourself to take on alternative roles. The company we primarily use for home improvements employs some of their aged laborers as estimators. That's a great job for a 75 year old where experience is invaluable. I keep my eyes out for these things, because I know I can't do this forever *and* I don't want to be a sit around and do nothing retiree. I wonder what late-life career opportunities are at burningman.org?

21Kid
October 19th, 2015, 01:34 PM
I wonder why people have such different mind-sets... :?

I'd love to be able to retire now (granted I had enough funds to support myself) and do whatever I wanted. Be that working on cars, traveling, or even working in a job that I cared about but could just do whenever I wanted.

That's not going to happen for a long time. But, I'd like to be able to enjoy my life as much as possible. And I don't get much joy from working.

Dicknose
October 19th, 2015, 02:31 PM
I do enjoy working.
In an odd stop that I'm about to be made redundant and wondering if I need another job.
I only need a part time or contract work to get enough money till I'm old enough to access my superannuation.
But I really like doing my job, well most of the time.

I hoping I can get some contract work, enough to keep my entertained and cashed. But with gaps so I can go and enjoy things like travel.

LHutton
October 20th, 2015, 06:04 AM
If you say so.
Well I know plenty of people that age who have severe Parkinson's. Now granted, some people will be able and some will even want to, but I don't think it should be something society expects. What was stupid though was the policy the UK had of mandatory retirement at 60 up until about 5-8 years ago. Plenty of people willing to continue working lost good jobs because of that policy. Working after 60-65 should definitely be voluntary.

LHutton
October 20th, 2015, 06:08 AM
I do enjoy working.
In an odd stop that I'm about to be made redundant and wondering if I need another job.
I only need a part time or contract work to get enough money till I'm old enough to access my superannuation.
But I really like doing my job, well most of the time.

I hoping I can get some contract work, enough to keep my entertained and cashed. But with gaps so I can go and enjoy things like travel.
*He typed with his boss looking over his shoulder.*:p

Nah, I know what you mean, there are some good times. Sadly for me they come about once every 6-12 months when I finally get something working.