PDA

View Full Version : Gran Turismo Sport

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

JoeW
October 15th, 2017, 06:56 PM
Ditto. Can’t wait to try it out.

SkylineObsession
October 15th, 2017, 07:05 PM
Downloading it now. Only so wifey can d/l it under my name on her PS4, so that we can both play it.

CudaMan
October 15th, 2017, 10:56 PM
T300RS GT and Playseat Challenge ordered. Seemed like a decent budget combo for what's out there. I think I would have liked a more sturdy rig but being light and easily moveable (plus foldable in some way) is kindof important in front of the TV, and the Evolution's center post would get in the way of the brake pedal on a 3-pedal system with hard-mounted pedals. Limitations of current hardware and mounting solutions. Back in the day with my Bob Earl VRC (hi Billi!) and its center post, my DFGT 2-pedals were simply placed whereever I wanted them, no hard mounting necessary because pedal pressure was so light.

I eventually want to get a proper hefty sim rig setup going and if I do, I might transfer the PS4 over to it and sell the Playseat Challenge. GT Sport looks so good on a big new(ish) TV though... a mere monitor might not cut it. And I don't think Sport has triple-screen support to make up for that.

Rare White Ape
October 16th, 2017, 12:45 AM
Good choices! My Playseat Challenge will arrive next Tuesday but for the wheel I went for the Logitech G29. The T300 might be better (and you can buy those awesome Formula and Alcantara rims for them), but itís a fair chunk more expensive than the G29, and I got a free copy of Project Cars 2 with it. I also got the shifter pretty cheaply as well, which I intend to mod to make stiffer as well as adding a taller knob. Also on the shopping list are zippy ties for cable management and mounting screws.

Now, I could have waited until the seat arrived and picked up that and the wheel together, but I didnít. I just wanted to get it home and open it and fondle the paddles and smell that sweet leather. Itís so sexy, with its red dial and blue stripe and the LED rev lights. I canít wait to set it up properly.

Next up, Bryan, we live in the blessed age of PC-like sims on console. Are you the sort of guy whoíll be tempted to try out PC2 and Assetto Corsa as well?

JoeW
October 16th, 2017, 06:13 AM
I have always had my eye on the playseat challenge. Let me know what you guys think.

I'm sure they would get a chuckle at the former winner of NISSAN GT Academy having a go in that fancy lawn chair ;)

Yw-slayer
October 16th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Downloaded game enabled patch. Other packs not downloaded (maybe the server is too busy).

No time to play until maybe next week.

CudaMan
October 16th, 2017, 12:15 PM
'Round here the T300RS and sometimes T300RS GT seem to be competitive price-wise with the G29. I just looked again and Amazon raised the T300 GT price over $100 since I ordered yesterday. :o B&H still has a good price.

Cable management hardware is a great idea. I think I will look for some velcro straps. :up:

My Playseat is coming all the way from the Netherlands so it might be a little while before it gets here.

I might do PC2 or AC, but most likely on PC when I build a new system so I can go triple-screen or VR. I played AC on PC at a friend's house on a Sim Seat last week and enjoyed it. They didn't quite hit the mark on the way the GT3 GT-R drives, but the GTLM Porsche 911 felt fun.

CudaMan
October 16th, 2017, 12:36 PM
One other big improvement from past GT games is the AI. I actually am having fun racing them. They're not so afraid under braking or anytime you get near them anymore. There are a few spots I've seen where they still do brake early or go slowly (second half of the "swimming pool section" chicane at Dragon Trail for example) but they're much smarter and more aggressive now.

The mission challenge with the GT3 cars at Interlagos has been a good fun challenge. The first time I didn't quite have the speed to catch the leader and pull off the win. The second time I tried a different strategy, which put me further down the order initially on the first lap out of the pits. Had to do more battling to get towards the front.

http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/image/166411655/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/image/166411657/original.jpg
Side note, I do enjoy taking completely different pictures from the same moment on track sometimes.

http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/image/166411659/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/image/166411661/original.jpg

When I caught the lead group, it was a hard battling tight group of cars. Never seen this in a GT game before. I made a lunge down the inside into T4 and made it work without shoving the Hyundai.

http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/image/166411662/original.jpg

It was then that I realized I had miscalculated my fuel. In the infield section I had to back my fuel trim all the way lean and block the 2nd place car which was now the Audi. Coming out of JunÁ„o I thought to myself "how dirty am I going to have to play this to win?" :) The FIA would have disapproved of my weaving on the straight. Still, the smarter AI managed to get a nose alongside me. I rubbed, I squeezed, and the Audi kept its AI foot planted. And then something really cool happened, just like it would have in real life. I got hooked towards the wall. :lol:

http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/image/166411663/original.jpg

I didn't win. :p But I had a good time and I shouldn't have won driving like that in real life. Great to see the game get something like that right.

Two big thumbs up for the realistic races.

Rare White Ape
October 16th, 2017, 12:52 PM
I had fun driving that car. So front-wheel-drivey. Just hit the brakes, turn, plant the throttle.

CudaMan
October 16th, 2017, 01:08 PM
I had no trouble getting power oversteer if I was too aggressive with it.

MR2 Fan
October 17th, 2017, 12:04 AM
sounds good. I definitely want to try this....once I get a wheel....and a racing seat.....and want to try in VR....oh, I need a PS4 also

Kchrpm
October 17th, 2017, 03:09 AM
PS4 Pro if you want to try VR.

pl8ster
October 17th, 2017, 04:04 AM
I want to race online with Cuda just to see if I can keep him in sight so I can observe what this "racing line" is I've heard so much about :lol:

dodint
October 17th, 2017, 05:33 AM
Watch some of his runs from Nationals and you'll get a feel for it; made me want to quit everything motorsports related. ;)

Rare White Ape
October 17th, 2017, 06:22 AM
PS4 Pro if you want to try VR.

The Pro offers no tangible benefits for VR, unfortunately.

Kchrpm
October 17th, 2017, 09:01 AM
I thought the regular PS4 wouldn't support the PSVR at all.

*checks*

I was mistaken, PSVR works with either system and only certain games get an enhanced VR experience with the Pro: https://www.roadtovr.com/playstation-pro-launch-date-price-13-playstation-vr-enhanced-games-now-confirmed/

pl8ster
October 17th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Watch some of his runs from Nationals and you'll get a feel for it; made me want to quit everything motorsports related. ;)

:lol:

Maybe I should just settle for "I finished within ten spots of him in an online race!"

Rare White Ape
October 17th, 2017, 01:34 PM
I thought the regular PS4 wouldn't support the PSVR at all.

*checks*

I was mistaken, PSVR works with either system and only certain games get an enhanced VR experience with the Pro: https://www.roadtovr.com/playstation-pro-launch-date-price-13-playstation-vr-enhanced-games-now-confirmed/

Iím mistaken too, but on the opposite side! I thought that PSVR didnít take advantage of PS4 Pro :p

It would be VR suicide (VRicide?) if it didnít work with base PS4 hardware. Pro consoles make up only a fraction of the overall PS4 user base, and you want to sell things to as many potential customers as possible. According to a quick google, 20% of PS4s currently sold are Pros, but that is not accounting for tho 55-odd million base PS4s that were already out there. Sony has been very careful in making sure that the user base between the two consoles hasnít been split, and Iím sure that Microsoft is doing the same thing.

CudaMan
October 17th, 2017, 02:39 PM
The good thing about the matchmaking system in GTS is that drivers/players of any skill level will be placed with people of similar performance as ratings get sorted out.

The Driving School combined with cone markers actually makes a pretty good tool for learning the line and other cool things. I like it better than the traditional colored stripe on the road. That feeds you. The GTS system teaches you how to fish.

Rare White Ape
October 17th, 2017, 04:52 PM
Oof.

12GB day 1 patch.

I donít know how digital versions work, but thatís what I got upon inserting the disc and firing it up.

Like the beta, nothing works unless youíre online. Except arcade mode. If you pay for it you get arcade mode. But all the tracks outside the first five are locked out unless youíre levelled up. And that requires being online.

Thatís about four hours away for me.

This can go sit in the naughty corner along with Microsoft's Xbox One UI.

dodint
October 17th, 2017, 05:13 PM
My copy is on the way, ended up being completely free. Going to put it in the PS4 when it gets here but I probably won't be able to play it for a few days, so the patching won't bother me if they do it all at once.

Rare White Ape
October 17th, 2017, 05:32 PM
Man I just wish there was a way to pre-download patches starting the day before.

Like, imagine if the PS Store had a list of patches available for games you intend to purchase, and it let you start the download immediately.

Godson
October 17th, 2017, 06:46 PM
Welp, I bought it....

CudaMan
October 17th, 2017, 11:27 PM
My pre-ordered digital game downloaded itself while my PS4 was in rest mode and the 12GB patch started downloading automatically as soon as I turned the PS4 on last night. No prompting from me.

Rare White Ape
October 18th, 2017, 12:01 AM
Finally got the bloody patch downloaded and had a few hours of play.

My word, isn't Bathurst at dawn some of the purdiest scenery ever recreated in a viddy game?

http://scontent.fbne3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22553133_10155584705515792_5795527348722610353_o.j pg?oh=15bc64b9e4518cce97e9a85aab1eebd9&oe=5A7D4BFB

And look! Tyre deformation.

http://scontent.fbne3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22496329_10155584705185792_7531538624301144540_o.j pg?oh=00806ed1bc49f93a1648bd09aa0f9bab&oe=5A79B96F

Rare White Ape
October 18th, 2017, 12:04 AM
And I'm quite happy that some of the progress I made in the beta carried over, but no licence tests or missions made it, so I'll have to do them again :(

My Castrol Huracan is accounted for as well (thankfully), I wanted to add some stickers but it doesn't look like I can go back in and edit the livery. If anyone finds out how, please share the info!

The359
October 18th, 2017, 12:41 AM
Can confirm, only the finished livery can be downloaded, but it is no longer editable. The same happened to my half-finished Turner BMW.

pl8ster
October 18th, 2017, 02:32 AM
The good thing about the matchmaking system in GTS is that drivers/players of any skill level will be placed with people of similar performance as ratings get sorted out.

I noticed that. So I will never have the chance to race against you :lol:

And I don't know how anyone gets out of that daily race oval track without a huge hit to their SR. Not on Day 1, anyway.

Tom Servo
October 18th, 2017, 04:38 AM
Interesting how delayed the reviews have been. Metacritic only shows 5 scored reviews so far. I did notice that IGN said they didn't have their review done because the review copy they got wouldn't let them do much of anything except play in an unsaveable arcade mode because the servers weren't working as expected.

pl8ster
October 18th, 2017, 10:01 AM
That's the big negative, that there is almost literally nothing that can be saved if you're not online. The FIA connection is serious business, I'm wondering if they did away with any kind of local saves to preserve as much integrity as they could with regard to the ranked online racing.

CudaMan
October 18th, 2017, 11:12 AM
I noticed that. So I will never have the chance to race against you :lol:
There's always the public lobby or a private race server!

And I don't plan to do much if any Sport mode until I get my wheel and playseat, so when I start a few days late I'll still be a Rook. :)

Tom Servo
October 18th, 2017, 11:47 AM
That's the big negative, that there is almost literally nothing that can be saved if you're not online. The FIA connection is serious business, I'm wondering if they did away with any kind of local saves to preserve as much integrity as they could with regard to the ranked online racing.

That's almost as bad as Forza 7, which it appears won't let you even start the game if you're not online (despite what their FAQ says).

The359
October 18th, 2017, 11:54 AM
There's always the public lobby or a private race server!

And I don't plan to do much if any Sport mode until I get my wheel and playseat, so when I start a few days late I'll still be a Rook. :)

I was wondering how I was besting your License Test times.

By the way, license tests, all gold, Day 1. And I've yet to plug in the wheel. They are ridiculously easy, in my mind. The only ones I struggled with were, as usual, the braking tests, and the few rally exams.

CudaMan
October 18th, 2017, 12:01 PM
The vast majority of them I moved on from as soon as I got a Gold time. I'm sure I'll go back to them again at some point. Some of them in particular seemed like a fun challenge.

I'm pretty much always running with some amount of TC on with the controller because my right thumb isn't very deft at applying throttle while air-unwinding the controller. :D The NSX on used-up tires with TC disabled was a new experience. :lol:

There's apparently a trophy for being >1sec faster than Gold time on a license test. I'll have to go find one after some time with the wheel to try to make that happen.

Rare White Ape
October 18th, 2017, 01:26 PM
I bested all of you in a passing challenge on the tri-oval.

So… take that?

JoeW
October 18th, 2017, 06:29 PM
Add me Ice_Warden and eventually when we start online lobby racing we can hook up. I keep trying to grab time after the kids are in bed but the wife keeps pulling me off the PS4. So I’ve only gone through the first 30 or so license tests. Trying to do the 48 then move to the next group.

SkylineObsession
October 18th, 2017, 07:52 PM
So far i've only looked around the menus (didn't play the beta version), driven on a few tracks in Arcade Mode, checked out the New Zealand spots in Scapes mode and... thats all. I really suck at the car handling, was spinning out/crashing almost every corner on some tracks (everything turned off other than ABS), unless i went uselessly slow. Mainly drove slow cars like the Golf, MX5 etc, but the Lancer rally car sounded great with its gearbox etc whine, and the Merc GTS actually sounded like a V8 Merc instead of a computer generated sound!

Bit peeved they've taken my car horn away from me. And tyre smoke is as shit as Forza now, used to be bloody awesome in GT5 and GT6, to the point when drifting closely with other people you pretty much couldn't see a thing. Not happy. :(

Have decided to try get more done on the Forza games before i play GT Sport again, since i'm doing reasonably well in terms of handling the cars in Forza since there hasn't been a GT for blimmin ages.

I've also got a feeling i may not like this GT as much as the past ones. Mainly because i don't really like using race cars, at all... I've only ever bought GT for the road cars, and there's a pretty piss poor selection of them at the mo.

Rare White Ape
October 18th, 2017, 11:26 PM
ISR's take on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAiumRUyy2g

Yw-slayer
October 19th, 2017, 07:08 AM
So pretty.

I used my money to buy Subarus, of course.

pl8ster
October 19th, 2017, 09:55 AM
I don't know why, but I think it's hilarious to race with my hazard flashers on.

SkylineObsession
October 19th, 2017, 10:29 PM
Maybe it's a warning sign for other cars to avoid you? ;)

Rare White Ape
October 20th, 2017, 07:09 AM
No GTS for me today, as I spent most of it driving from Tullamarine to Phillip Island. But Monday I drive back then catch a plane home, and on Tuesday my Playseat is due to arrive.

Thatís when I can finally hook up my wheel and have a proper go at this game.

Yw-slayer
October 20th, 2017, 08:19 AM
And you will be uniquely qualified to tell us if it really is The Real Driving Simulator!!! :hard:

GreatScawt
October 20th, 2017, 09:08 AM
So, I was watching the GiantBomb quick look of this. And maybe I'm wrong here - because I was half paying attention at times - but is the main career in the game the scheduled MP events?

CudaMan
October 20th, 2017, 02:55 PM
That's probably an accurate way to look at it. There's still license tests, mission challenges, etc but it's not like past GTs where you'd run lots of races with the AI to earn enough credits to buy your favorite car and mod it up, etc. This is easier to get cars, and indeed you can run some races with cars without having to earn them, and is more focused on online racing. There's still Arcade mode and even the classic split-screen 2-player mode for that. But with fewer cars and tracks, the focus has shifted toward a high quality online experience. The car models are so detailed it's no wonder car count is down. It takes ages to make each one. Kaz has said there will be more coming.

-

The PlaySeat Challenge comes with several nifty velcro straps for cable management. I did not know this. It also comes with 4 screws for hard-mounting a wheel (I presume, since I used 2 of them to hard mount my T300RS). Bonus! Had a brief test-sit, I think this will do fine. Will play it tonight.

MR2 Fan
October 20th, 2017, 03:07 PM
I saw the IGN review and the small number of tracks including very small amount of real world tracks is annoying

Rare White Ape
October 20th, 2017, 05:37 PM
The PlaySeat Challenge comes with several nifty velcro straps for cable management. I did not know this. It also comes with 4 screws for hard-mounting a wheel (I presume, since I used 2 of them to hard mount my T300RS). Bonus! Had a brief test-sit, I think this will do fine. Will play it tonight.

Oh neat! I look forward to your impressions.

CudaMan
October 20th, 2017, 09:12 PM
Must go to bed, I only got a chance to play ~30min but it's pretty livable. All that velcro for seat adjustment and pedal securing works surprisingly well. I have a couple tweaks to make and then it'll be pretty awesome. At the moment I don't even swing the wheel up to sit down, I just get in/out carefully.

It took me a while to figure out that I had to push the PS button on the wheel to get it to work. I couldn't figure out what was wrong - the wheel calibrated but GT Sport was having none of it! Seems a strange way to do it but OK, not too hard to do once you remember.

I just noticed today that I'm only credited 4 "likes" for my photos in the Achievements section, even though I have a lot more than that (one photo has 70+ just by itself). I must have missed the bug acknowledgement on this one. Or am I the only one experiencing this?

The359
October 21st, 2017, 08:43 AM
I have noticed my likes on photos and liveries don't quite match up either.

dodint
October 21st, 2017, 09:48 AM
My copy came in the mail. Going to let it install through the day while I do homework.

pl8ster
October 21st, 2017, 05:55 PM
The Sportsmanship Rating is bullshit. Some assclown plows into the back of your car because they fail at braking, your SR suffers. The only reliable way to increase your SR is to drive around behind the pack where no one can hit you. And the 'ghosting' used when other drivers hit the wall, spin out, etc. is not consistent and leads to unintended collisions.

Am I the only one annoyed by this? I'm sure part of it is that I'm not exactly qualifying near the front of the pack consistently, but I certainly don't drive like I'm grinding money in a race against the AI, unlike a lot of mouthbreathers I'm up against.

dodint
October 21st, 2017, 06:35 PM
Cudaman has been in the game for the entire time I have owned it. :lol:

SkylineObsession
October 21st, 2017, 07:42 PM
My wife encountered the exact same problem today pl8. She was playing in Sport mode against dumbasses, someone rammed her from behind and she flew into a wall, and lost SR because of that. She was doing an oval race, and the people lapping her were hitting her - even though she wasn't using the racing line, and wasn't weaving around.

But yeah, sounds stupid to me. :smh:

dodint
October 22nd, 2017, 07:18 AM
GT:S using a Mustang as the demonstration car for pushing people off the track in the Sportsmanship video is an inside joke, right? I want to believe.

Yw-slayer
October 22nd, 2017, 07:53 AM
GT:S using a Mustang as the demonstration car for pushing people off the track in the Sportsmanship video is an inside joke, right? I want to believe.

I see that I'm not the only one who thought that!

CudaMan
October 22nd, 2017, 09:22 AM
#1. Never do a bullring oval race to increase SR. This has been known since the early days of iRacing. ;)

I left the game on all Saturday while I was at the autocross. Friday night the servers went down for maintenance right as I was completing something, so the save didn't work, and I thought next morning before leaving it would have re-connected and saved. Still hadn't and manually reconnecting to the server didn't work. I didn't have time to futz around with it and still didn't want to lose progress so I waited until I got home Saturday night. :)

The359
October 22nd, 2017, 10:11 AM
I believe the issue of ghosting being inconsistent is that the amount of time a car ghosts is related to that person's SR rating.

Another thing that should help avoid getting hit from behind is to make sure you have a good qualifying run so that you start up front with the better players.

SkylineObsession
October 22nd, 2017, 01:29 PM
This is a good article, showing that there is a place in the world for a good looking racing game or two - even if it comes at the expense of content.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-gran-turismo-sport-vs-forza-motorsport-7

dodint
October 22nd, 2017, 01:34 PM
Long and detailed article about which game is slightly prettier than the other. *sigh*

Godson
October 22nd, 2017, 01:48 PM
I see that I'm not the only one who thought that!

I was crying I was laughing so hard about that.

SkylineObsession
October 22nd, 2017, 06:14 PM
Long and detailed article about which game is slightly prettier than the other. *sigh*

Yeah, that's what i said it was before posting the link. My point is there IS a place for nice looking racing games, for those who are after that experience over one that focuses more on realism/simulation and lots of content.

Personally i want to have fun in a game, i don't play them to get the most realistic experience possible, as it's more fun to actually do that in real life. And if it looks awesome then that helps the experience even more, for me. So i'll always lean more towards Forza/GT because of that - i don't like getting stressed out playing videogames, as its the opposite of why i play them.

dodint
October 22nd, 2017, 06:20 PM
To be clear, your initial post only mentioned content (cars and tracks, presumably) when my issue is that the The Real Driving Simulator . . . isn't. I clicked hoping to help myself understand what it is that is precisely missing from this game as I can't quite put my finger on it. Instead it was just about polygon counts.

That's fine, but it's disingenious to act like you posted it to show why it's okay the game isn't a quality sim when you didn't make that point until after the fact.

SkylineObsession
October 22nd, 2017, 07:16 PM
True, i couldn't really be bothered writing much when i posted that which doesn't help since people can't read my mind. In my initial post, the 'in the expense of content' was aimed at GT Sport. Good looking racing game was aimed mainly at it, but also at FM7, both of which is what the article was about. Silently compared them both to Project Cars 2, which doesn't look as pretty but has a lot more tracks and a 'more realistic' (apparently) sim racing feel. Probably shoulda put all that in the post too.

I don't have enough experience with GTS, or FM7 to ascertain whether they are good racing/driving sims or not, as i haven't played FM7 and have barely played GT Sport for more than half an hour. Maybe they, GT in particular, are good driving sims, but not a good racing sim like PC2?

Although from my short play of GT on release day, as someone else mentioned, the physics seem a bit stuffed at low speeds, as braking from around 40km/h to zero the cars just seem like they are braking on wet grass - takes WAY too long to stop, even on mid range sport tyres. I know i wasn't going as fast around the corners, but a little MX5 with sport hards in GTS seemed to have way less traction than my slightly more powerful non turbo Skyline which i took around a racetrack a week back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxTbhnha4uY&t=8s

I do have good grippy tyres on my Skyline (which they say not to use in snow or ice), but still - the MX5 just felt way too slippery in the game. I went a lot faster around the twisty corners on the way back through Central Otago and never once heard the tyres squeal, or break traction.

So i think GT still doesn't have the low speed physics right.

dodint
October 22nd, 2017, 07:33 PM
That's what I mean, thanks. I mentioned it in chat that I was getting snap oversteer from lifting off the throttle of a fwd car, it's weird. The econo boxes feel like trying to race a Rolls Royce. It does get better with the faster cars.

Rare White Ape
October 23rd, 2017, 04:51 AM
Well that didn't take long. I entered my first online race (apart from the demo) and won.

Today I got home from Phillip Island and finally found time to turn on the PS4, thinking all Iíd do was get up some distance to meet the daily workout. I chose to see what the daily Gr.3 race was and run some laps in qualifying. Nek minnit Iíve entered the race and qualified 2nd after pumping out a few ridiculous laps at Lago Maggiore - the sort of driving you do if youíre late to work. Looking confidently at the car in pole position, I thought to myself that I was going to bury this guy. I would pass him as quickly as possible and bury him.

And so I did. I was in first after a deep dive into the rollercoaster hairpin, and ahead by 1.5 seconds by the end of lap 1. By the end of lap five Iíd almost caught up to 12th place.

Werd.

http://scontent.fbne3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/22712571_10155598627005792_5481531220761648194_o.j pg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=bd1f271d93443ee8146ca0511e20d604&oe=5A63984C

Rare White Ape
October 23rd, 2017, 04:54 AM
Oh and I did the daily workout and was awarded the TS030 LMP1. Pretty good session if you ask me.

dodint
October 23rd, 2017, 05:25 AM
hah, I saw that LMP1 spinning around and ended up with some Audi Group 4 car. :lol:

I did pick up the Corvette Group 4 car somewhere along the line.

CudaMan
October 23rd, 2017, 09:51 AM
I always end up with the dud car in the prize roulette. :lol: Except yesterday. Yesterday I got the Audi R18 and Audi R8 LMS GT3. :)

In racing games it's tough to get an accurate sense of speed. Perhaps with VR or triple monitors and 1:1 FOV, or whatever they call it, it's closer. But generally in racing games you don't get the proper sesne of how fast you're going. I did a scientific test in GT5 I think it was, gathering data from the real 370Z I raced and comparing it to a 370 I built in the game. The conclusion was the Racing tires in GT5 gave too much grip, particularly the Medium and Soft. I don't think any tire exists that can do what Racing Softs did in GT5. So on the flip side, less awesome tires in the game probably feel painfully slippery but are probably closer to realistic than we might think for street tires.

I haven't done any tests with GTS but I'm having fun with it. Last night I did the final 'license test' (I still call them that...) with the GT4 Cayman at Dragon Trail. Loved it! You can really drive and hustle that car. It was really rewarding. Ended up only running the 1 lap because it felt so intuitive and it was a big Gold, but I'll definitely be coming back to it.

The drift test with the Mustang was incredibly hard I thought! I was on the struggle bus for ~5 runs, until I got lucky and smashed it. I've done that in some other tests too, particularly rally.

Rallying continues to be impressing me. I'm not terribly good at it but I feel like the rally tests are teaching me some useful things that would apply to real life. When I get it right and watch the replay, it looks right in terms of what the car is doing where and how it's doing it. I figured out that on some cars/courses changing the center diff to transfer a little more power to the front wheels was helpful for me.

In other GTS news, I discovered a couple day ago that I have been playing with input lag. The throttle response seemed delayed, and sure enough with a brief test the OSD confirmed that. Then I remembered my TV has a Game mode. I've switched to that but haven't tested with the OSD yet.

I see also an option for more dynamic sounds. Need to test that as well.

JoeW
October 23rd, 2017, 01:09 PM
I'm pretty awful at rally mode. I decided to stop trying to get golds in every single test and just start completing stuff. I have never driven the Dragon trail so it took my 2 tries to "pass" that one. The last rally one took me a few tries to pass as well. Moving on now to the other set of tests...where you have to beat other cars in short little tests. Seems easy so far but I want to unlock all the available content to see what tracks I'm missing etc.

I played PCars 1 for the last couple years and I will tell you it is a better simulator than GTS by a pretty good margin. Details through the wheel are much better and the sounds of the car (transmission noises etc) are much better. GTS just feels more numb...still fun to play (which is why I'm playing it), but definitely not as detailed in the physics dept.

If PD and SMS could get together...they could rule the world ;)

Yw-slayer
October 23rd, 2017, 06:13 PM
Daily Workout free cars are THE BEST.

Godson
October 23rd, 2017, 07:48 PM
License Test 32, Corvette at Dragon Trail, I just couldn't get enough of it. You really get to grab the car by the scruff of the neck and just hurl it around the track. A ton of fun.

dodint
October 23rd, 2017, 07:55 PM
You'll enjoy the time gate mission at Willow.

CudaMan
October 23rd, 2017, 10:46 PM
Oh, and snap oversteer from a FWD car is certainly possible. Try driving a FoST with a big rear bar at the limit sometime. :)

Rare White Ape
October 24th, 2017, 01:24 AM
Or any regular car beyond the limit :p

Rare White Ape
October 24th, 2017, 01:31 AM
Any my Playseat arrived finally!

It’s excellent. Really comfortable. It’s the perfect thing for living room racing.

Less good is the G29 wheel, but I knew that coming in. I’d love to get the T300 eventually but the coin doesn’t stretch that far at the moment.

One thing I did to make things a lot better was to reduce the ffb sensitivity down to 3 and leave the max torque at 5. Or was it the other way ‘round? I’ll check when I look at it again. Basically at the standard values it was saturating the detail from the road and I couldn’t feel anything. Now with the [something] reduced to 3 it’s so much better. Now I can fang around like a true racer boi again. Hell yeah!

Later tonight I’ll be playing Dirt Rally on the PC to see what real fear feels like.

Yw-slayer
October 24th, 2017, 03:10 AM
The Playseat is great. I miss mine, and my G25.

dodint
October 24th, 2017, 05:32 AM
Oh, and snap oversteer from a FWD car is certainly possible. Try driving a FoST with a big rear bar at the limit sometime. :)

Russ said the same thing.

The specific situation was the Civic R at BH Indy. When you come around the big sweeper where Pit In is if you lift off the throttle the car will careen to the outside of the turn and 'violently understeer' if that's even a thing. It's as if you've just hit a patch of ice and the car goes off on a straight tangent to your line. As we mentioned earlier, it's really pronounced on the slow cars. I had no problem whipping the Cr.3 Corvette around Willow.

Rare White Ape
October 24th, 2017, 07:07 AM
I didnít get to playing Dirt Rally, instead I went back in and did a bunch of solo hotlapping in the circuit experience mode. I learned something new: I could shave 10 seconds off my Nordschleife time in the BMW just by turning the wheel more and carrying more corner speed, although in doing this it feels like Iím ploughing the car through the turns, which is weird. Itís only the first day so Iím still getting to grips with it.

Bryan, Iím dying to know, and youíre definitely the best authority in this, but have they nailed the handling of the GT-R GT3?

CudaMan
October 24th, 2017, 10:56 AM
I wasn't even paying attention to that when I drove it for the one licence test or mission or whatever it was. :lol: Someone is making a #05 livery when the image upload feature becomes available and I'll probably give it a proper drive then. :) Although, looking around last night at the popular photos/liveries in game, I saw a lot of anime characters on cars which suggests to me the feature is working. Maybe only in Japan?

Kchrpm
October 24th, 2017, 11:00 AM
People have made those in Forza using just basic shapes, so it's not necessarily available already.

dodint
October 24th, 2017, 11:09 AM
I haven't seen any online liveries at all but I haven't looked since maybe Sunday.

It's annoying to me that, it seems, most prize cars are handed out white and it's difficult to change the base color if it's a Group car that already has decals. I wanted to change the Gr.4 Corvette from White to Blue with the stock decals but it kept taking them all off.

CudaMan
October 24th, 2017, 11:13 AM
The liveries with what appeared to be custom decals that I saw were in the Discover section, not online racing (still haven't gone online yet). If people can make intricate anime characters with the shapes GTS provides, they're fucking genius artists with a lot of time on their hands. :lol:

Speaking of liveries, maybe you Forza regulars can shed some light on livery use etiquette. I know Forza had a marketplace system and GTS does not, but if someone posts a livery publicly on GTS and makes it available to download, is it fair game to use that livery for myself online or is that frowned upon?

Kchrpm
October 24th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Fair game. We typically enjoy seeing our liveries used. Forza (6) will tell you who made the livery that each driver is using while in the lobby, as well, so it's good advertisement, and doesn't really let people try to take credit for someone else's work.

Rare White Ape
October 24th, 2017, 05:55 PM
Forza also gives the creator a wee in-game credit boost if people download a livery or logo design as well.

Go for it!

CudaMan
October 24th, 2017, 10:23 PM
Cool, there are some sweet liveries out there. :up:

I also played around with FFB settings in-game a few days ago with the T300RS. I picked one of the tests or mission challenges with a full lap at Brands Hatch, and changed settings independently to figure out what they did.

The top setting, strength or whatever it is, didn't seem to have to big an effect on things but higher settings did tend to feel over-saturated and a bit more muddy at the limit. The actual force required to turn the wheel in general wasn't changed as much as I would have expected. I felt the FFB was more than high enough for my style so I set it at 1. I actually wouldn't mind strong FFB for bumps and so on, maybe even turning forces to a degree, but I think the way it's done in GT it can be unnecessarily straining in longer corners. Hard to put my finger on it. Plus, when sim racing I steer with my traps a lot (I have no idea why!) so they get really tight and burn before too long. Doesn't happen in real cars.

The bottom FFB setting, sensitivity, has a much greater effect. I started by turning it up. Not a whole lot different I didn't think. Subtly quicker maybe. Then I turned it low. It was practically un-driveable. Steering response was slow and delayed. Very unnatural. Had to turn that right back up. The default setting of 5 is the minimum I would run. I settled on 7 with the T300RS and it felt good.

Then yesterday I sold my T300RS literally right as the FedEx man was bringing a T-GT to my door. Timing! Long story short, GT invited me to a private event back in February along with a few other Academy grads. We had the opportunity to race for a T-GT, I won, but the wheel was far from being released. I checked in a week or two ago and I hadn't heard back by the time GTS was released, so I bought the T300RS GT. Lo and behold, the next day I get confirmation that a T-GT is going to be sent my way. Of course. :lol: After a couple nights with it, I can say the T-GT is a definite upgrade. I wasn't sure what was different under the skin other than the vibration feedback device (I think it's roughly like a Buttkicker built into the wheel base). The T-GT is faster, more nimble, more nuanced, more direct. Easier to catch slides. The T300 isn't bad at all and in isolation it's perfectly driveable. I don't know if I'm any faster with the T-GT - I didn't do much serious lapping with the T300 - but I bet I'm more consistent and I feel like the mud has been cleaned away from inside my wheel, if that makes any sense. The rumble effect is actually quite well done, not overdone. It adds to the experience rather than takes away or distracts. I can't say it's a must-have, but it's cool. :up: The wheel is solid-mounted to my Playseat so it even makes my seat/chassis vibrate a bit at times, which adds to the experience.

Oh, also, more of the buttons are within easy reach with the T-GT compared to the T300. Big ergonomic difference if you ever use your thumbs for actions on the wheel. And the four knobs on the T-GT are great for GTS. It even makes per-corner brake balance adjustments possible, for example. Or at least a lot easier. And finally, the materials are a couple notches more premium all around on the T-GT.

If you have the means.... etc.

-

Today I ventured into Sport Mode for the first time. It was... interesting. I did the Evo race at Kyoto Driving Park. Had a qualifying time that put me on pole by a couple seconds. I finished 11th out of 11. :angry: It felt like everyone had more grip than I did. They were running me over in the turns. I couldn't figure out wtf was going on. Even in the gentle turn 1, which isn't a braking zone at all, I got hit hard from behind and the guy who hit me went into the outside wall, and *I* got a 10 second penalty for it. Crazy. So I let about 5 guys go while I slowed down offline after that. They kept coming, divebombing me and generally driving around me like I was the only clown who showed up on 500-treadwear all-season tires. It was maddening. I couldn't get the car to do what it did in qualifying.

I ran a second race right after, and this time entered the warm-up just before the race started. Everything felt like I remembered from qualifying before. I was on pole again by a couple seconds for this race. This time I held the lead out of turn 1 and started to pull away to an eventual big win. No issues. From there I qualified for the Dragon Trail race and entered a couple of those. Again I survived the turn 1-2-3 kerfuffles and started to run away. Car felt normal.

So two things:

1) I'm not sure what happened in my very first online race. I thought at the time that online physics were different from otherwise, but in subsequent races I didn't feel that. Was it because I didn't enter warm-up for that first race? I'm doubtful that would make a difference.
2) Seems people are still being pretty brazen in close racing situations, despite the SR system. I think there are a couple reasons - it seems to take a while for SR to actually change either way, and a lot of these races seem to be very short which encourages casual racing and an ain'tcare attitude. Get some longer races on larger tracks with more of an impact on SR and I think some of this will go away. I'm hopeful when my SR eventually does go up, and/or my DR goes up, I'll be paired with more thoughtful racers. The fact I'm consistently on pole by 2+ seconds today tells me either not many people were online for the races I was in, or DR/SR has more of an impact on matchmaking than qualy times do.

-

One last thing for now. Anyone successfully driven the Bugatti Veyron Gr.4 car? Every time I get in it the upshift paddle does nothing and the downshift paddle upshifts. So you can imagine this won't work.

pl8ster
October 25th, 2017, 04:29 AM
Yeah, I don't like that Evo race, even people with a "B" sportsmanship rating feel more pressure to hammer cars in corners in the shorter races because there's just not much time to recover from being left behind. And that Kyoto track doesn't really have a lot of passing zones, and that shift from 4-5 is a buzzkill, so I'm fighting the rev limiter at the kink in the back straight . I have a lot better luck overall in the two longer races that are available currently.

The359
October 25th, 2017, 08:29 AM
The anime liveries are indeed made with in game shapes. If there were any custom decals, they'd be under the Decals section of Discovery, which is currently empty.

pl8ster
October 25th, 2017, 10:53 AM
The daily races have been updated...that Atenza race around the tri-oval is actually more fun than you think it will be during qualifying.

Yw-slayer
October 25th, 2017, 04:56 PM
The insane lighting coding really gets a chance to shine in Scapes.

Godson
October 25th, 2017, 05:26 PM
Just did the driver's school #39 with the Audi. If you max your fuel trim, and bog the engine in 6th, and keep boost down, you can make the lap without pitting, and you will easily be 5+ seconds otherwise.

Rare White Ape
October 25th, 2017, 06:17 PM
The insane lighting coding really gets a chance to shine in Scapes.

ISWYDT

SkylineObsession
October 25th, 2017, 07:20 PM
IRHNIWYJSRWA.

(I Really Have No Idea What You Just Said RWA).

pl8ster
October 26th, 2017, 03:56 AM
The daily races have been updated...that Atenza race around the tri-oval is actually more fun than you think it will be during qualifying.

In fact, this race gave me my very first win last night. Can turning off ATC completely really have a significant benefit at Blue Moon Bay Speedway? I don't know that my racing line on that track was so superior that I would have won by three seconds...maybe there was more banging around back in the pack than I give the other racers credit for.

Rare White Ape
October 26th, 2017, 01:23 PM
Good idea: getting plenty of practice in order to get used to sim racing behind the wheel again.

Bad idea: spending time driving ‘60s Grand Prix cars in Project CARS before switching to GT Sport and thinking you’ll be any good at it :lol:

It’s surprising how different they feel given that both games have the same end goal; the quest for lap times without losing traction. PCars (the first game) has a very liberal brake pedal that requires a heap of force to pull up a car when braking into a corner. You can really stomp on it hard (with ABS on, haven’t tried it with man-braking yet) with a lot of physical effort and the brakes just keep on coming. In GTS, on the other hand, they’ll lock up before you get to the really firm part of the brake pedal, but this allows for little dabs at the pedal to be really effective when you need just a smidge of braking to bring the front end of the car into line.

Another big difference is the amount of steering required. I found that PCars has fairly quick steering and feels natural to me, but GTS needs an extra 90 degrees of lock to get around tight corners. It’s very odd and takes a lot of getting used to. The tyres squeal a bit and it feels like I’m ploughing through corners, but… it’s faster.

Other than that, I unlocked Bathurst in arcade mode last night. The first thing I did was some hotlapping at night. I recommend everyone does the following: turn off the lights in your house, turn off the HUD, turn up the sound, and drive in cockpit view. Driving fast in the dark is a thing to behold.

Dicknose
October 26th, 2017, 06:35 PM
Got myself a seat and RS300 and enjoying the setup.
Finished campaign mode, although a couple of silvers to turn to gold.

Online racing - yeah getting hammered and SR went down. Ended up just circulating at the back to get it back up.
Won my first two races by penalties, both times someone torpedoed me near the end and then went past, but got a couple of second penalty! First time I was swearing, then when it came up I’d won I spent a good minute yelling “suck it” and other childish taunts at the screen!

Oh and if anyone hasn’t friended me - esonkcid, that’s Dicknose backwards!

Yobbo NZ
October 27th, 2017, 02:27 AM
Off topic slightly....
Playseat challenge is a good thing?
And no hassle to ship to Australia from the world playseat site, despite the Australian supplier not listing it on their site?
I'd rather something like that, than a Next Level racing simulator that I can't fold up or shove under a bed.

Yw-slayer
October 27th, 2017, 04:47 AM
I find TCS Level 2 is best for Gr. 3 and above cars.

dodint
October 27th, 2017, 05:22 AM
I'm at the point with the Driving School that I'm to be expected to start tuning the cars which is probably my jumping off point. It's so boring and tedious in games (to me, even iRacing) that I'm certainly not willing to do it for GT:S. PC2 has an engineer I can 'talk' to which is a nice middle ground for dorks like me that don't have the patience.

Rare White Ape
October 27th, 2017, 01:21 PM
Off topic slightly....
Playseat challenge is a good thing?
And no hassle to ship to Australia from the world playseat site, despite the Australian supplier not listing it on their site?
I'd rather something like that, than a Next Level racing simulator that I can't fold up or shove under a bed.

If youíre buying it and expecting something as good as a full size seat then youíll be disappointed. But if youíre buying it and expecting something like a cheap and nasty food-up deck chair for a racing rig then itíll be better than you think. Itís definitely worth it.

Thereís an Australian distributor for it - I ordered mine through Domayne (for staff price, since I work for them) but a lot of other retailers stock it as well. Check Ďem out:
http://www.hes.net/newsite/products/prodinfo.php?pagerequest=UNIPCHAL1442

SkylineObsession
October 27th, 2017, 05:50 PM
I don't have the patience to tune cars (or the knowhow) either, so i usually never bother and race anyway. And lose. But oh well.

pl8ster
October 28th, 2017, 02:02 AM
Yeah, the tuning bit is going to turn me off when I get to that point, I don't have the patience for that either.

But working on SR and now racing against other "A" rating drivers, this is a lot more fun. I'm not winning anything, but there is a refreshing lack of the shenanigans of the lower SR rating races. Having said that, I did just have to take a poor line to cut inside of someone on the last corner of the last lap in Kyoto Driving Park daily race. My defense is that if I'd been in a real race, I would have done the same thing. I actually bumped the other car a bit, but the game agreed that it was a legit move on the last corner of the last lap, and I wasn't penalized. Managed to outrun the other car to the line to take that coveted sixth place :lol:

Tom Servo
October 28th, 2017, 12:27 PM
I may have missed something, but is there a reason it takes 18.7 years to upshift with a controller?

Edit: Appears to be just with the road cars, the first couple of license tests were like taking a minor nap while the car upshifts.

Tom Servo
October 28th, 2017, 01:58 PM
Early experience shows that the video telling people not to swerve side to side to block doesn't actually change how people race. That said, happy to see that some minor contact doesn't seem to show up on the SR, pretty sure my first race came off clean.

dodint
October 28th, 2017, 02:28 PM
Minor contact in the driving school and missions is ignored as well, which is appreciated.

Tom Servo
October 28th, 2017, 03:01 PM
Yep. It's way more permissive than iRacing. It is fun to watch all the same angry rants that iRacing dealt with pop up on GT forums, though.

The359
October 29th, 2017, 10:32 AM
I finally hit my road block. The final three Driving Challenges have flustered me. The 15 minute endurance at the oval, took me 7 tries and a lot of blocking to stay ahead of that WRX that is clearly faster than any other car. It took me not changing tires, timing my fuel fill exactly, and genrally being a dick for the final few laps.

Tries the 30 minute endurance with the Porsche LMP at Interlagos, turning the fuel map down not only wasn't enough to make it on 1 stop, but I also wasn't able to catch the leader so as it is after their second stop. Haven't tried the GT3 endurance at the Nordschleife yet, but I assume it's going to be difficult.

dodint
October 29th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Not going to lie, with the first fuel save I got ahead of the Viper then let him push me down the front stretch. :lol:

The359
October 29th, 2017, 12:55 PM
Not going to lie, with the first fuel save I got ahead of the Viper then let him push me down the front stretch. :lol:

Did you make a pit stop? I never touched my fuel setting as I assumed everyone had to make a pit stop no matter what.

dodint
October 29th, 2017, 05:33 PM
This was the one with no pit stop on the night city course, the other cars were not fuel limited, you were just expected to conserve on the lap.

There was the one where you pitted and raced against the 488 around Brands, then the one you pitted the GT-R, and then this night one was next.

Tom Servo
October 29th, 2017, 06:14 PM
Playing with a controller really makes me miss the haptic feedback that the Xbox One controllers have on Forza.

Godson
October 29th, 2017, 08:41 PM
This was the one with no pit stop on the night city course, the other cars were not fuel limited, you were just expected to conserve on the lap.

There was the one where you pitted and raced against the 488 around Brands, then the one you pitted the GT-R, and then this night one was next.

The 488 one, you don't need to pit.

dodint
October 30th, 2017, 05:27 AM
Right. Except the 488 is going so slow if you pit for one lap of fuel you still beat it by several seconds. It's a weird challenge.

pl8ster
October 30th, 2017, 10:14 AM
I seem to be a solid 8/9 qualifier in the daily races. Never going to increase my DR from D to C if I can't move up more than a couple of positions in a race.

But whatevs, the Mileage Rewards shop updates at 8PM tonight and daddy needs some new wheels.

Godson
October 30th, 2017, 12:56 PM
Right. Except the 488 is going so slow if you pit for one lap of fuel you still beat it by several seconds. It's a weird challenge.

Crazier part. I've tried both methods, fueling vs not fueling, and was on average 5 seconds faster by not fueling. Pretty dumb to have a challenge which you don't even need to partake in.

Yw-slayer
October 30th, 2017, 05:28 PM
Dat Mileage Rewards shop. I love it.

The359
October 31st, 2017, 09:02 AM
I finally got gold in the Porsche LMP1 race. The AI LMP cars occassionally get stuck behind the GTs on the front stretch, so that helped. Did two stops, on the last one I short fueled.

dodint
October 31st, 2017, 11:57 AM
The all gold driving school prize car is so perfectly GT in both it's ability to stay on brand and be a huge disappointment. Got to hand it to them, really.

Nissan GT-R Pace Car

Dicknose
October 31st, 2017, 04:15 PM
Haven’t got gold yet on the LMP1 or the 15 min high speed.
Found both quite tough, not sure if I’m using the right strategy or just not driving well enough (or both)

CudaMan
November 1st, 2017, 03:35 PM
Let's talk endurance strategy.

I did the 30 lap Mission Challenge with the 911 RSR at Lago Maggiore. My strategy developed over the first couple laps to be fuel trim around 5, pit on lap 10 and lap 20, no tires. Halfway through my second stint I began to wonder how long a tire change was and if it'd be worth it with faster laps. I decided to throw Softs on for the last stint. Ultimate pace was about 4s faster per lap (I think I did a 1:58 on them) on fuel trim 5. But they started to wear quickly about halfway through the stint and I think my last lap was a 2:01 or so. I didn't time the pit stop but it didn't seem like tires took more than 5 seconds so they were definitely worth it. I wonder if Mediums would be more consistent but still appreciably faster than Hards. If I do it again I'll probably try M/M/M on a similar fuel strategy. I suppose I could even try Trim 6 and extend both first stints as long as possible, then sprint on Softs the last ~8 laps.

I ran a few laps in Arcade to warm up for this enduro, and changed rear camber to -2.0, and took all the downforce off then added 30pts of front downforce.

One of these days I'll test if TC off can be faster if you get it right. Sure seems like it's cutting in and holding back a bit in the higher speed sections where you don't need it. It seems real tricky to manage corner exits with TC OFF though, so it's probably worth it for all the low speed corners on that track. We need variable TC based on the gear you're in. :D

SkylineObsession
November 1st, 2017, 06:51 PM
What race cars use traction control these days? I think the GT (R8, GT-R, M6 etc) cars do don't they? Always feels like cheating, using it.

Rare White Ape
November 1st, 2017, 06:56 PM
I wasnít aware that you could tune the settings in the mission races. I thought you had to use what you were given :?

Plus I really dislike how grippy the softs are. Itís too much like God mode. Iíve never driven a real race car with slicks so I canít compare to real life, but comparing to other sims like PC2 and AC, the hards feel just about right.

dodint
November 1st, 2017, 07:06 PM
What race cars use traction control these days? I think the GT (R8, GT-R, M6 etc) cars do don't they? Always feels like cheating, using it.

Yup. If it's good enough for Bill Auberlen I'll use it.

CudaMan
November 1st, 2017, 11:02 PM
I'm pretty sure all FIA GT3 cars have TC. The GT-R certainly does. GT Sport's TC emulation is not as advanced as the real system I used. The TC setting I've run in RL has varied a lot depending on the track/surface/setup otherwise. It was certainly handy on that car with most of its weight *not* on the drive wheels, and two turbos that liked to come in with a lot of torque. We did things with the throttle mapping, too, to make that surge easier to manage. But TC systems definitely have their place in modern racing. I bet LMP1 cars have it, too, don't they? Maybe even LMP2? The LMPC car I drove did not. It didn't really need it although I'm sure it helped with rear tyre life in long stints. Linear power delivery and good weight over the drive tyres meant it wasn't too hard to ride the edge of traction off the slow corners.

Racing Softs in the GT series have always felt too sticky. In this particular Mission, which is the only time I'm aware of that I've run them in GT Sport, they actually don't feel as unrealistic as in past GT games. And when they're more than half worn they start to feel more real now, too. :lol:

The359
November 2nd, 2017, 01:33 AM
All GT3 cars come equipped with traction control and ABS, since they are designed to be easy for pros and amateurs to drive, although their use varies from series to series based on rules.

GTE/GTLM cars do not have traction control, but do have ABS. The only car from this category in the game is the Porache 911 RSR, which technically is in the wrong class.

LMP1s also have traction control.

dodint
November 2nd, 2017, 04:40 AM
I have been told the C7.R for GTE has TCS, and for what it's worth the GTE Wikipedia page also says that, sort of. I don't know exactly what "engine based" traction control is.

Rare White Ape
November 2nd, 2017, 05:39 AM
That 911 RSR is very slowed-down from its real life counterpart. And (sorry Keith) the C7.R is not a real GT3 car either, seeing as it looks like it’s closely based on the faster LM-GTE car.

I’m very much enjoying PC2’s ‘authentic’ assists setting, because it applies TC, ABS, etc, based on whether the real car uses it. It might be slightly canned like the GT implementation, but it’s a start and I hope it makes its way to other sims in the near future.

Kchrpm
November 2nd, 2017, 08:04 AM
359 -
You have that reversed: GTE cars are allowed traction control but not ABS.

Nate -
Engine-based means that it can only retard spark or the like, it can't apply the brakes (which is what many road applications do). It prevents fancy use of torque vectoring type applications.

The C7 in GT:S is not a real car, it is their own creation made to fit the class structure for the game. Therefore its features and performance are purely based on what they wanted it to have, I presume.

dodint
November 2nd, 2017, 08:07 AM
Wait.

You mean to tell me the Group 4 Veyron isn't a real thing?!?!?!?!?!

The Ultimate Driving Wishmeathing.

The359
November 2nd, 2017, 11:49 AM
Thats what I get for posting at 5am after painting for a few hours.

I notice that GTS has ABS assist to On, Off, or Default. I wonder if Default is similar to Project CARS' system of using what the real car has. I've had my game set to run Default, and ABS is definitely on, but I haven't tried a lot of older cars.

dodint
November 2nd, 2017, 11:51 AM
I assumed 'default' set it to the level of whatever overarching difficulty you selected. I don't know for sure, though.

Rare White Ape
November 2nd, 2017, 01:57 PM
I’ve just purchased some Ram Mount-style things to attach my shifter, following this guy’s example: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/eF1DI

But I bought the bar mount off Banggood and a double socket (ooh-err) off eBay that came with a VESA plate on top. I still haven’t used my shifter, and it’ll be another week before the bits arrive, so I might get a length of wood (ooh naughty) and just clamp it under the wheel to temporarily mount the shifter and do it proper cheap racer boi style for now. That way I can get my hands onto my knob sooner.

Once that’s done I’ll finally be able to hard mount the wheel and run the cables properly. Might get some extension cables for the USB to make it neaterer and tidierer. In the mean time, I’m expecting my shifter mod (https://youtu.be/5yLzibDfcrg) to arrive soon, and the next bit will be installing a taller gear lever (https://youtu.be/8LMr0TH36x4).

The359
November 4th, 2017, 12:43 AM
A look through some of my livery work so far. I have so many ideas I don't really know what to do next.

A livery based on the old Toyota 2000GTs that Carroll Shelby raced in SCCA
https://cdn.gearpatrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/1967-Shelby-Toyota-2000GT-Gear-Patrol-Patina.jpg

One of the early Viper GTS-R schemes, also a throwback to the green and white Viper in Gran Turismo and Gran Turismo 2
https://cdn-2.motorsport.com/static/img/mgl/100000/190000/198000/198600/198622/s8/lemans-24-hours-of-le-mans-1996-49-canaska-southwind-motorsport-chrysler-viper-gts-r-alain.jpg

Followed up with the factory SRT Vipers. This one is not quite finished, need the Ultra on the reverse side and a few more logos I'll need to create
https://cdn-7.motorsport.com/static/img/mgl/1600000/1650000/1652000/1652700/1652777/s8/tusc-daytona-january-test-2014-93-srt-motorsports-srt-viper-gts-r-jonathan-bomarito-kuno-w.jpg

Did this one tonight, Aston Martin's entry at the Rolex 24 in 2016
https://cdn-8.motorsport.com/static/img/amp/600000/660000/669000/669300/669338/s6_962430/imsa-daytona-january-testing-2016-98-aston-martin-racing-aston-martin-vantage-gt3-paul-dal.jpg

And a nice little group picture

Rare White Ape
November 4th, 2017, 01:55 PM
How are you finding the livery editor? My first impressions were pretty glowing, but Iím annoyed by the lack of precise control and being able to group layers to copy/paste. I think we will start to see some great stuff when the image upload function goes live.

The359
November 4th, 2017, 03:10 PM
I've never used an in-game editor before so I can't fully judge, but I have small gripes. Having the hood be a seperate element can be difficult on cars like the Viper where you're trying to put a logo on the side of the car, the warping is frustrating. Only having one font style is incredibly stupid. Not having the ability to lock rotations of decals into 45 or 90 degree angles is also frustrating. Logos that are only colored or only black or white. And I really don't like that you can only set all decals to gloss, semi-gloss, or matte without being able to mix and match, especially when applying to metallic or pearl paint. It makes layering difficult if you do anything other that Solid paint and Matte decals.

I still think a color sampler tool would be wonderful as well.

The359
November 4th, 2017, 08:01 PM
Forgot to take these screenshots off my thumb drive, it's another tribute livery. Based on Trust Racing's Porsche 962

https://www.1999.co.jp/itbig40/10408921b.jpg

CudaMan
November 5th, 2017, 08:50 AM
I hadn't seen the points system explained anywhere for GT Sport's FIA Championships. It appears to be based on some kind of strength of field algorithm. I thought it might take total race time into account to compare across concurrent races, but it doesn't seem to. I completed a Mfr race last night with a total time of 20:14 and change, and got about 460 points winning my race by ~10s. A couple other GTA guys won their races, too, and got significantly more points - even one guy whose total race time was about 10s slower. The other guy got somewhere around 1400 points. He had a close race (and he's fast). So I think the people you race with has a lot to do with it. And also maybe driver rating. I'm still a B/S driver.

dodint
November 5th, 2017, 09:04 AM
I will forever be a BS driver.

Godson
November 5th, 2017, 05:23 PM
I netted "Promise of Greatness" on mission number 46.

I think it has been the easiest mission to get close, so I kept plugging away at it, and in 25 minutes or so I had it.

I'll try to figure out how to upload the replay for ya'll

https://www.facebook.com/tyler.calvert.35/videos/10155037160066918/?l=757358963740107372

Godson
November 5th, 2017, 05:24 PM
Matt, those Viper shots are tits

CudaMan
November 5th, 2017, 10:56 PM
I learned something interesting today. When practicing or qualifying for the Manufacturer race at Interlagos, I could go 4 wheels below the white line next to pit entry to take a shorter line on the front straightaway. In the race, I got a ~2 second penalty for a less severe track limits infraction there. I had to give up the lead because of it. I probably would have finished 2nd anyway - the Corvette driver was very good and that car had an edge on the straights over my M4.

https://www.sportvideos.tv/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/IMG_4116-390x215.png

CudaMan
November 5th, 2017, 10:58 PM
I'm also starting to think that maybe the number you are assigned for the race corresponds to your driver ranking in that group. Similar to how iRacing does (used to do?) it. I was a fairly low ranked driver in this field (#14 I think?) and finished 2nd, netting me twice as many points as I got for a big win in a weaker race at Suzuka.

The359
November 5th, 2017, 11:51 PM
So, my experience with the two championships was this after two nights. Entering, my rating was B for Driver and S for Sportsmanship. First night, the Nations Cup at the Driving Park, I set many practice laps with a Group 4 Viper but I knew I was about 2 seconds off the pace of the Top 10 worldwide times and everyone at the front was using the Alfa Romeo 4C. I jumped into the first available slot, and to my surprise I had at least five different guys who had Top 10 times in my group, including all of the Top 3. Since everyone was new to it all, I qualified but didn't hold back, just did my best to avoid people and get a good time. I believe I started 11th or 12th. Ran the race, the guys in front of me pulled away and the guys in back fell back with their own fights. Spent the first 7 laps going nowhere but keeping pace. Only through some mistakes from guys in front and people falling off track, I finish overall in 9th. 791 points for 9th place, and the next day I find myself 41st in the World and 33rd in the United States in the points standings.

Second night, at the oval, my practice laps are about .2 seconds off of the slowest guy in the Top 10, but everyone is using the VW Golf GTI VGT so we should all be on equal footing. I figure that's good enough, apparently if I'm close enough to the Top 10 then I will be in with the fast groups and gain a lot of points. Get in the first race, the 2nd fastest guy is in there as well as well as some other names I keep seeing in fast races. Qualifying is going to be good because it's not who can set the fastest lap, but who can get hooked up the best with a draft. Sportsmanship Rating goes right out the window because all anyone wants to do is bump draft to either tandem ahead of other people or because people don't want to ease off. Through sheer luck I managed to find myself hooked up with a Brazilian. I took provisional pole position, only for him to take the overall pole from me later on. So I'm starting 2nd, well ahead of faster guys. Turn 1, I brake early to try and just survive the corner, but the Brazilian does too and dives way too low and I have nowhere to go and I tap him into a spin and he's out of contention. I lose the lead but I'm still in the lead pack. Five of us break away from the group and we're just freight training away in a line, with only an Argentinian with a laggy connection causing issues. But it's all clean racing and we're not banging doors. Last lap, I've gotten myself firmly into second and pushing the guy in the lead. Everyone tries to make their move into the final corner, the Argentinian hits me from behind and pushes me ahead of the leader and I go on to take victory. 1400+ points for the win, so now I have no clue where I am going to be in the rankings. My S rating took a hit I'm sure from all the bump drafting, but I didn't drop down to A. My driver rating did however move up to A.

In the Manufacturers Cup race at Suzuka, again I'm doing decent and again I end up with a group of the fastest guys, but the Viper is just dog meat. I notice the variety of manufacturers seems to be spread pretty well in the group, although there are about 5 Porsches. I qualify 11th, start to make my way up as people fall off the track, but I lose the back end coming out of Turn 2 and slid into the wall, just so happened to hit a spot where it juts out and came to a dead stop. And no, the game will not reset you to the track in these races. I get myself going again, now 20th and last. I eventually make up a few positions as some other people fall off the track, but I think I finished 15th or 16th. 619 points for that finish. I'm well down the World order in about 313th place, but amongst Dodge I was 25th in points. Second night, Group 4 Viper at Interlagos, I'm in my usual spot of a few seconds off the Top 10. My group this time doesn't have any names I recognize from the Top 10, but I seem to be a more capable car this time around as the field is mostly Corvettes, Vipers, and the Citroen. Again, got lucky with drafting and qualified 3rd. Had a steady pace throughout, the Corvette behind me and passed me pretty uneventfully, but once again I basically held my position, incapable of catching the two guys in front of me and the two behind me fell back. Finished a steady 4th. I forgot to check my points from the race, but I'm curious if it will be more or less than my run at Suzuka.

Also, this was my Nations Cup car for the oval...

Rare White Ape
November 6th, 2017, 12:45 AM
If true then something like that could be used for sandbagging.

But given that this game has had a long dev cycle and it’s tied to the FIA (in whatever capacity that really is) then hopefully that sort of cheating has been well and truly prevented.

The359
November 6th, 2017, 12:55 AM
If true then something like that could be used for sandbagging.

But given that this game has had a long dev cycle and it’s tied to the FIA (in whatever capacity that really is) then hopefully that sort of cheating has been well and truly prevented.

Do you mean by having a good driver intentionally setting a slow practice time? If you end up with a group of bad drivers and win, your points will only be about 100-200, so sandbagging in that way isn't going to help you when running with the top runners and finishing last likely nets you more points.

The359
November 6th, 2017, 08:35 AM
So, an update. Firat, it appears this is not a "World" standings as there is not a single European or Asian anywhere in the global standings, so they must have the cups broken into regions for this test.

Anyway, Nations Cup I am now 7th for the Americas with 2248 points, about 600 points behind the leader. In the United States I am 6th. In the Manufacturers Cup I am 29th in the Americas with 1474 points, about 1300 points behind the leader. 2nd for Dodge, and 800 points behind that leader.

CudaMan
November 6th, 2017, 09:55 AM
And no, the game will not reset you to the track in these races. I get myself going again, now 20th and last. I eventually make up a few positions as some other people fall off the track, but I think I finished 15th or 16th. 619 points for that finish.
Wow, the points seem even more heavily weighted towards SoF (or strength of driver?) than I thought. I got ~460 points at Suzuka for doing consistent 2:01 mids and winning by 10 seconds. :lol:

I think over time driver rating will start to sort itself out as each person plays more. But that still seems like a heavily weighted scoring system on the surface. Just getting your driver rating up to get into the top races is the way to get points in each race, it seems.

Also, the qualifying format is a pain only because the game starts everyone in a tight train. Not a big problem in real life. A big problem when virtual racers don't understand they need to gap themselves. :lol: I do like the short format, it's almost like Superpole. Just needs either fewer cars, more time, or an understanding by more drivers about how to manage the out lap.

The359
November 6th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Maybe spacing the cars out more would help, eliminate the drafting bonus and let everyone try it on pure pace.

CudaMan
November 6th, 2017, 09:37 PM
Why did nobody tell me the Renault Sport RS01 was so fun to drive?

I also tried the cockpit view in that car, and I gotta say GT Sport does it really well now. I never could stand it in previous titles. Always seemed off to me. Now it actually gives me a better sense of the car's attitude, where the corners are, and I'm pretty sure I can even correct slides better with it. I might have to switch to cockpit view after years of using the bumper cam. :o Online racing will be hard with it, though, because I couldn't see the mirrors (VR would be amazing...).

Rare White Ape
November 6th, 2017, 09:49 PM
Yeah I switch between cockpit and bumper cam. Cockpit is awesome for immersion in single player, especially in Project Cars. But for online mode I'm using bumper cam no matter what, as I'm much faster that way and I have a better awareness of what's around me.

Tom Servo
November 7th, 2017, 05:07 AM
For some reason, I just cannot do GT's cockpit view. I use cockpit view in every other sim, but GT's throws me off completely.

Godson
November 7th, 2017, 10:33 AM
Vr iracing and a wheel is so fucking good.

The359
November 7th, 2017, 11:53 AM
For some reason, I just cannot do GT's cockpit view. I use cockpit view in every other sim, but GT's throws me off completely.

Have you tried adjusting the camera? You can move it around in the cockpit to better suit yourself. It's in the options menu while driving.

Tom Servo
November 7th, 2017, 03:32 PM
I have not, I'll have to give that a shot. I think my problem is that I feel like I'm sitting in the back seat in that view, so maybe that's it.

CudaMan
November 7th, 2017, 11:16 PM
It can depend on how big your TV is vs the distance you are from it. If the dash/wheel doesn't appear life-size, yeah things are going to seem strange.

In the RS01 at least, it seemed like the eye view was from that of a driver all of 5ft tall. Got used to it after a few laps.

The359
November 8th, 2017, 10:28 PM
Had a race with Cuda. He ran away with it, as he should, I qualified 6th but had a slip on the first lap and fell back amongst a dirty asshole in an Evo he couldn't make a corner without riding or ramming someone. So my race was a bust, I think I finished 10th or 11th. But still, enough points to cancel my first crappy race at Suzuka.

CudaMan
November 8th, 2017, 11:16 PM
I watched the replay after - yeah you were in the wars. Looked like some good dicing for a while to me, until it turned into a fistfight. ;)

Typing with the controller is hard, so I tend not to say much in the online races. Was cool to find you in a race!

I was actually having a good battle trying to maintain the lead, until lap 2 when my challenger backed off in turn 2 or 3 (the uphill right). Seemed like he was a bit too nice there! We were having a good clean scrap.

The359
November 8th, 2017, 11:27 PM
That damn Mitsubishi. I watched him punt the guy in front of me off, then he turned down on me into the first turn without even attempting to give room. After he tried to dive bomb me a couple times I just set myself on getting rid of him, but I ended up screwing myself over.

I'm so frustrated that I fucked up Lap 1 on the uphill Esses, I had done so well on those in practice, just an inch too far and I lost it. That said, I was impressed to qualify 6th, I know you practice times had been a full second faster than mine.

Rare White Ape
November 8th, 2017, 11:33 PM
I donít race online as much as you guys but experiencing your first real bad race after two+ weeks is pretty good going to me. Public Forza lobbies were always a house fire of shit by comparison, except on very rare occasions.

CudaMan
November 9th, 2017, 09:14 AM
Yeah these are by faaar the best online GT races I've been in. These mfr cup races, you only get one shot per round and they are long enough (10 laps usually) that you get a lot fewer turn 1 heroes setting a bad tone for the race.

What's weird is I get more tense at the start in these races than I do for the real thing. Haven't quite figured out why.

The359
November 9th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Maybe the pressure of performing in front of people who look up to you and expect you to be the best at this game?

All of my races have been clean thus far until the one last night, and even that was fine and all the mistakes were my own until that guy showed up.

CudaMan
November 9th, 2017, 10:44 AM
I don't think that many people recognize my PSN ID anymore. Been too long. Which is ok.

The early races I was in with Sport Mode were fraught with incidents and typical casual gamer driving. Thankfully leveling up seems to have gotten rid of a lot of that. The system at work. :up:

The359
November 10th, 2017, 12:46 AM
So the Decal Uploader is being phased in to a select few, but a few things I've noticed from the stuff that has been uploaded so far:

* If you download a decal, it can have its color changed to anything you like, unlike the logos that are in the game.
* Decals can also be skewed and stretched, instead of simply resized like the logos in the game.'

Bryan, I did see in my feed that someone was working on your car, and the GT Academy/Nissan/PS3 combo logo has already been uploaded to the decals.

Rare White Ape
November 10th, 2017, 01:46 AM
Coooooooool.

Hopefully nobody ruins it by uploading anything lewd, but this is something Iím looking forward to.

In other news, I plugged in my G29 shifter and had a few laps with it in GT Sport.

First lesson: Iím a lot slower and itís hard to heel-toe and brake smoothly without real car G forces acting all around you.

Second lesson: yes, itís possible to spin a nice stable car like a WRX in a fast corner :lol: But I did discover the torque split setting and went about trying lurid slides anyway :D

Third lesson: not a lot of the cars in this game are stick manuals, and those that are happen to be pretty slow, so theyíre boring to use. All the fast ones are sporting modern flappy-paddle gizmos. Might have to pop the PC2 disc in and drive the Lotus 98T at a street circuit to get my fixÖ

I did discover one weird problem though: Iím still all left feet here after only an hour but on entering a corner if I miss a gear it wonít register, or if I try to change gear without clutch (which is possible in reality) it leaves the car in neutral and wonít do anything unless I pull a gear using the paddle. Itís an immersion killer when it results in you slotting random gears and pumping the clutch trying to get it to respond, while your car gracefully and slowly exits the track and finds the gravel.

But yeah itís fun. The weekend is upon me and Iíll be spending some time getting to grips with it.

pl8ster
November 10th, 2017, 06:23 AM
Let's talk endurance strategy.
One of these days I'll test if TC off can be faster if you get it right. Sure seems like it's cutting in and holding back a bit in the higher speed sections where you don't need it. It seems real tricky to manage corner exits with TC OFF though, so it's probably worth it for all the low speed corners on that track. We need variable TC based on the gear you're in. :D

I've noticed it definitely makes a difference for me to turn off TC when racing certain AWD cars - I would never try it on anything else :lol:

But the variable TC seems like a hell of an idea.

In other news, I've progressed to qualifying in the latter half of the Top 10 during the daily races, I usually screw up and end up clawing back to finish where I started. Maybe soon I will drag myself out of D class! Keeping that SR rating up, moving mostly between A and S depending on whether there are short tracks in the daily mix or not :lol:

The359
November 10th, 2017, 11:51 AM
My other concern with the decal uploader is whether or not they will start doing copyright strikes from companies or brands not in the game.

dodint
November 10th, 2017, 01:26 PM
I'll ask and let you know what I find out.

SkylineObsession
November 10th, 2017, 06:46 PM
I'd hope not, as it's essentially free advertising for them. But nothing surprises me when it comes to corporates.

CudaMan
November 10th, 2017, 11:14 PM
Had my first issue with online today. When registering for the Manufacturer Championship tonight, I noticed some of the race times were off and the schedule showed the Nation's Cup schedule. I entered anyway for the last race of the day. Matchmaking took place, and when I got to the warm up screen half the players had been disconected. The track never loaded and I was eventually disconnected due to "data loss." I tried looking up points to see if I got 0 or what, but the game crashed. Restarted it, and it crashed again when I tried to see points.

Hopefully this short test season is helping to work out the kinks. That stuff won't fly in an official FIA championship.

Looks like The359 got a race in, and won it too!

-

User AMS_Redline is hard at work on recreating the #05 GT3 GT-R. :up: It's looking good so far!

-

Regarding TC, something changed with the update and now corner exits feel much more real in terms of managing wheelspin vs lateral slide ratio in high power RWD race cars. I've generally lowered TC to 1 as a result. While practicing for the Mfr race today, using the M6 GT3 at Lago Maggiore, I debated between 1 and 2. 1 was tricky to optimize exits in most of the low speed corners, which have pretty important exits. TC2 is safer, but can cause unwanted understeer sometimes. I wanted a 1.5 option. :lol: Could do that in real life.

The359
November 11th, 2017, 12:27 AM
Everyone in North America had a problem with Race 6 of the Manufacturer's Cup. I knew something was screwy last night when I saw, like you did, that the schedules were messed up, and instead of the usual 5 time slots, there were 10 for both Nations and Manufacturers. I also had no points listed for the Manufacturer's Cup, and if I attempted to load the Points Standings it crashed my game. Apparently many people who entered the Manufacturer races either ended up disconnected like you, or actually in the Nations Cup race at Bathurst...in Group 3 cars against other people with the Nations Cup Group 4 cars. So some people got easy wins from that. But, from everything I can see, they scored points toward the Nations Cup, not the Manufacturer's Cup.

I ran the last Manufacturer's Cup race, and did correctly load Lago Maggiore. But I noticed there were only 18 people in my room instead of the full 20, and the quality of field ranged from A drivers to D drivers. I recognized maybe two fast guys, everyone else was low grade people. I got pole and won easily without being challenged, the Viper was hooked up very well here. But checking my points, I have no score listed for Round 6 of the Manufacturer's Cup, nor for the Nation's Cup (I never ran the Nation's Cup race anyway, only have time for 1 of the 2 after work). So something went very wrong with the game for this round.

Short answer: Won a race, got nothing for it because the game shit itself.

The359
November 12th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Season 1 done, finished 16th in the Nations Cup and 12th for the US. Can't see my Manufacturers Cup results until I pick a manufacturer for Season 2.

Test Season 2 starts up today. Only 6 races instead of 7. Not sure which manufacturer to go with this time, split between Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, or Porsche.

Godson
November 12th, 2017, 02:31 PM
Matt, your Brands time in the gr4 viper isn't slow...

The359
November 12th, 2017, 05:41 PM
Matt, your Brands time in the gr4 viper isn't slow...

Now you have something to chase after lol

CudaMan
November 13th, 2017, 08:42 AM
I checked points after the next-to-last race of the past season, and at that point I was the leading BMW driver and I think 13th overall or so. Mostly I turn the game on a half hour before race start time, and do practice laps before jumping into qualifying. It's usually just about enough time for me to put the pieces together to be able to do a fast lap.

This season I quickly chose Renault because I really enjoy driving the RS01. This means I get stuck with the Megane in Gr4. It's a pig but at least at Suzuka it had a lot of straight line speed with the BoP. It also did quite well in the hairpin. It's no match for the Viper in sector 1, though!

The359
November 13th, 2017, 03:44 PM
I went with Porsche, figuring they'd be nicely balanced cars. I specifically wanted to go MR this round. My sympathies with the Megane though ;)

The points are listed in the same spot, you just have to go to the pull down menu on the left and select Test Season 1.

First two races last night were alright, mid-pack qualifying and finish, but I was in with all the fastest guys. I used the Beetle at Kyoto, mostly a boring race but Iade up a few positions. Porsche at Suzuka was also pretty dull, except for a Viper that would never cede a positiom despite some banging and running off track.

Qualifying is now 10 minutes instead of 8, so that helps.

Godson
November 13th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Now you have something to chase after lol

I'm still trying to learn the fuckin' track lol. You wheelin' it?

The359
November 13th, 2017, 06:58 PM
I'm not using the wheel yet. I feel like I never have enough time set aside to hook it up and get used to it and dial in the settings.

The359
November 14th, 2017, 12:05 AM
Had a first while practicing at the oval for the Nations Cup. Set my fastest lap time, twice, on two consecutive laps.

Rare White Ape
November 14th, 2017, 05:24 AM
Video is unrelated, but this is what I want to feel every time I crest the Mountain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jHUjT02OhY

CudaMan
November 14th, 2017, 09:17 AM
:up:

Funny, I did a 2:03 late in the race last night. Bathurst was the first track I've been to where the RS01 has felt like a handful. It's magic across the top of the hill, until the dipper when it wants to swap backwards. The low speed turns at the bottom of the hill are real hard to get right, too, and they're important. When you do a good lap there it feels like you really earned it - at least in the game, but I imagine the same is true IRL.

Matt - you're sitting on a wheel and haven't hooked it up? Dude! :) The 15 minutes is worth it.

Side note, I don't think I've seen anyone else in a Renault in my Mfr races this week or last.

Rare White Ape
November 14th, 2017, 11:43 AM
The McLaren does the same at the Dipper. Itís a tricky corner.

Öon a mountain full of tricky corners.

Godson
November 14th, 2017, 06:56 PM
I cannot get the feel for the Honda Vision Gt. Car is so fucking inconsistent.

CudaMan
November 14th, 2017, 10:27 PM
Tis a turd.

Yw-slayer
November 15th, 2017, 12:05 AM
Really? I loved it. TCS at 2, super playful but fun. Also in my first race I came in 5th having started at 15th (last). On my second I clearly got matched with better drivers and hence came last.

Godson
November 15th, 2017, 03:12 AM
Tis a turd.

I'm just trying to figure out how to clean up my lines and shit. When I was practicing the track on the track test, I am able to run fairly close to the top ten times. But that car....I can't keep it straight. TCS at two, and it has no digs out of corners, I switch to 1, and I can't keep it straight. When the car breaks away, it takes forever to catch. I have given up on any attempts of trail breaking. Thoughts? Tips?

Yw-slayer
November 15th, 2017, 03:59 AM
Drive an 86 for 1.5 hours the night before you drive the car? Seemed to work for me. :D

CudaMan
November 15th, 2017, 08:38 AM
I decided it wasn't worth my time after I golded the license test with it. :) Seems to be mid engined with a lot of rear weight, turbo lag, and just not balanced in general. Too weird.

Rare White Ape
November 15th, 2017, 01:15 PM
Yeah that car is too much of a handful for me. I *think* I gelded that test, but all I remember is annoyed frustration at its handling.

Dicknose
November 15th, 2017, 01:49 PM
I think I need a more reliable internet connection. Keep getting random disconnects, although they mostly happen at critical points like “matching” or going to start a race. Annoying when it happens in a once-a-day race and gives you 0 as if you quit. Then also drops you ratings.
Did put some effort into having a few “clean” races. Started by not qualifying and hoping to be at the back, even then I’d end up with one or two others behind me who would still torpedo you.
Doing that my driving rank is now D. Funny thing is I go to do a daily race and it happily matches me and a few other D with a bunch of As. How is that matching? Or am I racing at a time with too few people playing?

dodint
November 15th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Too bad you can't start from the pits like in iRacing.

Dicknose
November 15th, 2017, 02:45 PM
One race I started second last and moved well of the racing line at the start and slowed a little (more like didn’t accelerate fully). The car behind just followed me and ran straight into me before the first corner.

dodint
November 15th, 2017, 02:56 PM
:lol:

Similar:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcars/comments/7cvtq5/lying_in_wait_for_the_right_moment/

CudaMan
November 15th, 2017, 06:01 PM
Why not just RedBull-era Vettel all the races?

:assclown:

Godson
November 16th, 2017, 03:22 PM
I have won 4 races in a row and am still listed as an E driver. I have won with over 14 seconds on one race. Tips?

CudaMan
November 16th, 2017, 03:28 PM
I think it takes time. Your rating can only go up so much in a race, I believe. Do more races. :) I've been a B forever it seems like. I think it takes more good results to go from B to A than C to B, D to C, etc. I could be wrong. I haven't seen an actual explanation of the system.

Godson
November 16th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Very next race I get a D rating, then the first turn some jackass dive bombs me. He ended up with 32 seconds of penalties. I still won the race outright, but my rating took a hit because of his asshole moves

Dicknose
November 16th, 2017, 03:52 PM
I’m still waiting for a race that is graded even vaguely sensibly. Still got A people in every race. I’m doing ok and my rating should go up, but still what’s the point of grading if you then just throw all grades in the same race.
And how can I get a pole position if it matches me with people who are seconds faster than me? Something has changed, I got all my pole positions in the first 2 days and since then not a hope. Sure drive faster! But I’m often the fastest qualifier of C/D drivers, but some A are then 2+s faster. Hey throw them in a race with other As! Let us slow pokes have some sort of chance of earning something.
Although I confess - haven’t seen a single E rated person. Maybe it’s putting priority on the sportsmanship rating, being S I’m getting in races with other clean people even if they are much faster than me. I’m guessing E drivers can’t have sportsmanship that high.

Dicknose
November 16th, 2017, 05:20 PM
So I just had a race, Qual 4th but 2s off 3rd and 4s off pole.
It’s mostly D/C except the cars ahead of me, two B and pole is A
I finish fourth with a good race, clean!
But I’m 10s off third.
Displays the winner and highlights it’s his 90th win
Sure he is a good driver, but damn he can’t be getting much competition racing a pack of mostly D drivers
Oh well I think I just have to learn to forget it’s graded and just suck it up and battle to keep a good mid pack position and keep it clean.
Still only have a 4 clean race streak. Now it’s mostly broken by server failures! Had one where I was coming 4th at start of last lap and suddenly I’m catching the others. Oh that’s odd, they are slow or stopping... pass into lead! server disconnected!

The359
November 20th, 2017, 01:07 AM
Well with the shift in start times for the FIA series, I'm effectively ruled out of any championships. I work nights, when all the races are being run. I used to be able to fit in the last race of the night at 12:45am/12:50am, but now the last races are at about 11pm when I'm at working, leaving my able to just run on Saturday and Sunday.

On the plus side the Daily Races are getting more interesting. 8 Laps of Bathurst at dawn and 2 laps of the Nurgburgring 24h layout in the morning fog have been fun.

dodint
November 20th, 2017, 05:51 AM
I've been trying to do the daily races but it's been a 15+ minute wait every single time and I find myself quitting and playing Rocket League where matchmaking is instant. I know GT:S is holding their registrations to let the pool build up and get good match-ups but I only have maybe 90 minutes in a given session to give to gaming and if I"m only getting 2-3 five minute races in it's just not worth it.

I did finally discover how to download liveries and apply them. Some really good ones out there, got a great Falken livery for the Cayman.

CudaMan
November 20th, 2017, 08:42 AM
I usually use those 15 minutes to practice/qualify so I can do well in the race. I suppose you're looking for more pickup racing - jump in and go. It's hard for me to do that when SR is on the line. :lol:

-

I missed the first race of Season 3 as well, because I wasn't aware of the new race times until I logged on and saw they had already passed. I signed with Aston Martin this time. #stiffupperlip #jollygoodsir

dodint
November 20th, 2017, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I do that the first time and if I've been gone a few hours. I'm talking about when I do run a race and it finishes, and the sign up period for the next one isn't even open yet. I usually just close out of the game or go putz around in the driving missions.

I only really do well if I pick a car and practice at it and then race. I can't hop around too much. It's probably why I liked iRacing because the series changed every week so I would practice to the point of satisfaction until Thursday or so and then race on Fri/Sat.

If I were a natural that could drop in anywhere at any time I could probably find a rhythm with racing all three A/B/C races and not have to wait too much.

Rare White Ape
November 20th, 2017, 11:59 AM
This sad banana hasnít done any proper racing.

:sadbanana:

Yw-slayer
November 20th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Yes, I find practicing/qualifying is useful. The other thing is that all of it contributes toward my daily Mileage goal!

How do you download other people's liveries to use?

dodint
November 20th, 2017, 03:48 PM
On the main menu go to Discover on the left bar. Go to liveries, you can search in various ways. Download whichever ones you want.

Then go to the garage and look at your car. You can apply the livery there. Annoyingly you can't apply it from the downloads gallery or the livery editor, but, alas.

CudaMan
November 20th, 2017, 10:02 PM
I just ran across this awesome Japanese take on what you can do with GT Sport: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XwDKgVO2IU

It's a race designed to mimic a real life Blancpain Endurance Series race. With full course cautions and a pit stop and everything. (I wonder if tire wear is on?)

Some observations:

- This must be recorded on a PS4 Pro at a higher framerate than what I get on my standard PS4. Really makes me want a Pro. That looks like a much more fluid experience, particularly in the cockpit view.

- It appears that with all players in Japan, network lag is pretty minimal. They're able to race very closely without issue and all the cars usually look very predictable.

- These guys have great racecraft for the most part.

- I noticed there are no player names hovering above the cars. This adds a lot to the replay experience I think. I must look for a way to turn them off!

I think these guys are taking GT Sport to its full potential. Love it.

Rare White Ape
November 21st, 2017, 01:38 AM
Iíll bet theyre all racing with nothing but cockpit view and all assists set as realistically as possible. Crazy Japanese people. Love Ďem!

And yeah, PS4 Pro does replays at up to 60fps, whereas the regular PS4 limits them to 30. A 1080p user still enjoys the benefits of the Pro hardware even if theyíre not taking advantage of a 4K output.

pl8ster
November 21st, 2017, 04:11 AM
I was stuck at D level for what seemed like forever. Then finally reached C about a week ago. Won two daily races last night (86 Gr. 4 at Tokyo Expressway - East Inner Loop), got a 4th this morning before work ( :lol: ) and now I'm at B. Maybe I'm starting to get the hang of it?

The weird thing is that I was doing a different daily race yesterday with the GTI and it seemed to be lugging pretty badly on some of the upper-gear upshifts. I did the first race or two with the auto transmission and then switched to manual, thinking my times would improve measurably being able to get the revs up in the next gear, but no. I wasn't bouncing it off the rev limiter, at least once I found out where that was :D

dodint
November 21st, 2017, 05:44 AM
I had a nice night in the GTI yesterday in the daily race C, even won a race. I generally finish where I start, barring some cockup, when the cars are spec and low powered like that. The race I won was amusing, I was leading the last lap and a half. With clear track and proper motivation my last lap time was 2 full seconds ahead of my qualifying time. :lol:

I was able to catch a nice series of races where when I'd finish one the next one was starting in about 7 minutes or so. Ran 5-6 that way until I hit a 25 minute wait and then I bailed out.

Yw-slayer
November 21st, 2017, 06:14 AM
On the main menu go to Discover on the left bar. Go to liveries, you can search in various ways. Download whichever ones you want.

Then go to the garage and look at your car. You can apply the livery there. Annoyingly you can't apply it from the downloads gallery or the livery editor, but, alas.

Thanks bra.

The359
November 21st, 2017, 03:47 PM
One little tidbit I noticed last night, the Leader Lights system on the Porsche 911 RSR actually works in real time. I assume it is the same for the LMP1 cars.

pl8ster
November 22nd, 2017, 05:56 AM
They totally recycled last week's cars in the Mileage Exchange shop...I think...but the cars don't show the check marks to denote that I already have them.

Also, won one of the GTI races at the oval last night. That's three wins in two days after one win in the first month. Is it luck, or am I finally figuring out how to use my controller?

Godson
November 22nd, 2017, 09:17 AM
I had an awesome battle with a guy last night in the GR.4 at dragon. We had both qualified within a tenth of each other, I was the slower car. I made a few mistakes early, and it dropped me back to 2.5seconds. When lap 5 came around I was really starting to get in my rhythm and knocking fast lap on fast lap down and slowly reeling him in. Got down to 1.1 seconds behind and then screwed up my turn in on the chicane section on lap 8 and smacked the wall, got penalized 10 seconds, and the race was pretty much over at that point.

He messaged me after the race and said he made a couple of mistakes and "was feeling the pressure." It was damned good fun.

I'm also working on a livery for the C7 GR.4 car. It's a throwback.

The359
November 22nd, 2017, 09:28 AM
They totally recycled last week's cars in the Mileage Exchange shop...I think...but the cars don't show the check marks to denote that I already have them.

The cars always last two weeks, while the paints and wheels update every week.

Kchrpm
November 22nd, 2017, 10:14 AM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-22-gran-turismo-sports-first-big-update-introduces-a-more-traditional-single-player-campaign

Gran Turismo Sport is getting its first major update since its release last month, with a sizeable and more traditional single player campaign coming alongside a suite of new cars in December.

GT League is reminiscent of older Gran Turismo games, featuring a series of cup competitions and endurance races - and addressing one of the criticisms of Gran Tursimo Sport, which instead offered an in-depth and extensive tutorial alongside a series of missions.

There will also be new cars inbound, with Audi's final R18 that saw it bow out of the WEC being joined by a new Vision GT car as well as a Shelby Cobra. Alongside those headline additions, 12 new cars are also coming in the free December update, and see the return of some of the exotica and more eccentric vehicles of Gran Turismo alongside Sport's more race-tuned selection. Here's those cars in full:

Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V・spec II (R32)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V・spec II NŁr (R34)
Ford F-150 SVT Raptor
Lamborghini Countach LP400
Ferrari F40
Ferrari Enzo Ferrari
KTM X-BOW R
Suzuki Swift Sport
Volkswagen Sambabus Typ 2 (T1)
Chris Holstrom Concepts 1967 Chevy Nova
Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible (C3)

Polyphony says that between now and March next year some 50 new cars will be added, alongside new tracks, but there's no specific date on what will arrive when. Though you can't really blame those in charge - after all, who'd dare put a date on a Polyphony release?

dodint
November 22nd, 2017, 10:16 AM
I wish they wouldn't make the VGT cars compulsory to finish the game.

The359
November 22nd, 2017, 10:21 AM
So, updates galore:

* Decal uploader available to everyone now.

* 1.06 patch November 27th, includes:
** Shelby Cobra 427, Audi R18 (2016), Zagato Iso Rivolta VGT
** Offline modes for Livery Editor, Campaign Mode, and Scapes. Game saves will still require an internet connection though.

* December patch, includes:
** Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type-A, Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II (R32), Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II Nur (R34), Ford F-150 SVT Raptor, Lamborghini Countach LP400, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Enzo, KTM X-Bow R, Suzuki Swift Sport, Volkswagen Samba Type-2, Chris Holstrom 1967 Chevrolet Nova, Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible (C3)
** GT League, a new campaign mode that basically brings old school GT campaign mode back, including Sunday Cup and various FR/FF/MR challenges. Beginner, Amateur, Professional, and Endurance leagues.

* Further updates between December and March will include about 50 new DLC cars.

dodint
November 22nd, 2017, 10:31 AM
Do you have Keith on ignore? ;)

Godson
November 22nd, 2017, 10:32 AM
Has anyone used the decal uploaded yet?

The359
November 22nd, 2017, 10:33 AM
Do you have Keith on ignore? ;)

He copied and pasted, I took the time to type it out lol

dodint
November 22nd, 2017, 10:35 AM
My friend that works for SCEA and does this specific thing for them had this to say about the decals:

It 100% violates the EULA/TOS-UA to use trademarked and/or copyrighted content. The game developer and publisher really don't have any way to control that, absent really intrusive policing that would detract from the game, and they aren't really required to take proactive measures. They are largely shielded from copyright claims by the 'safe harbor' provision of the DMCA.

Neither the Copyright nor the Lanham Acts provide for express punishment of contributory infringement, but pretty much every single person who downloaded the liveries would be on the hook if they did. (provided it could be established you knew the works were unlicensed)

I'm more interested to see if some overreactive parent is going to be super pissed off that you can wrap a 488 in Marlboro livery or an M4 in Jagermeister paint.

The359
November 22nd, 2017, 10:39 AM
I have noticed some Martini logos disappearing, as well as some porn website logos.

Rare White Ape
November 22nd, 2017, 05:37 PM
Well Forza has had Ďinfringingí works done on its platform for years with no problems so far. The only difference with GT is the ability to directly upload someone elseís work, rather than build logos from scratch using coloured squares and circles.

Godson
November 22nd, 2017, 11:03 PM
Thank God for decal uploads. I wasn't able to do all of the decals for the correct 'build' from one race, more of a fusion on many of the various liveries. Honestly, they are all essentially the same, just some have various adverts that aren't up on the site, and I don't care to replicate them when other are up and honestly more meaningful to the car. (Mostly the Hendricks racing sticker)

So here it is.

1986 Corvette GTP livery on the c7 Gr.4

CudaMan
November 22nd, 2017, 11:15 PM
Awesome. I always liked that livery. I must go find it and download it. :)

The #05 AE GT-R livery is also now available. A GT-R/RJN/GTA superfan has been making several RL GT-R liveries, and the #05 is now complete. Search tags are my last name, #ae05, and #pwc

Godson
November 22nd, 2017, 11:19 PM
I'm eagerly waiting for a bbs mesh wheel to complete the look. But I'm ok with it for now.

My next adventure is going to be a newer throwback, but I am not sure I will be able to get the decals to do what I want. We shall see.

Rare White Ape
November 22nd, 2017, 11:42 PM
Tyler that looks excellent.

Now that the decal uploader is available, I know what I’m doing this weekend if I’m not spinning out constantly or playing Mario :up:

Kchrpm
November 23rd, 2017, 08:42 AM
Nicely done, Tyler.

Godson
November 23rd, 2017, 06:57 PM
I'd recommend avoiding the Tokyo expressway. That track is destined to be a clusterfuck for eternity.

dodint
November 23rd, 2017, 07:13 PM
Yes. Contrived rubbish. The track equivalent of the Vision GT class of cars.

Godson
November 23rd, 2017, 07:52 PM
I've lost an entire sport rating trying to race clean for numb nuts drivers to dive bomb me from 5 cars back.

Rare White Ape
November 23rd, 2017, 11:11 PM
My McLaren is done. I'm finally checking out the decal uploader. The best thing is, someone has usually already uploaded just the thing you need! No effort required!

pl8ster
November 24th, 2017, 05:17 AM
That McLaren is :hard: . I was going to do a Harlequin Golf and someone not only beat me to it, but did a better job than I would have.

Definite lack of license plate images, though...hmm...

pl8ster
November 24th, 2017, 05:22 AM
I'd recommend avoiding the Tokyo expressway. That track is destined to be a clusterfuck for eternity.

I won two races there the other day. But as Godson mentioned, I lost some SR as a result. It's just so narrow in spots, if you're following someone who doesn't get the line right through the high-speed section in the middle of the course, they tag the wall and you tag them. Boom, -SR.

But I really enjoy qualifying there, it's just the actual races that suck.

Godson
November 24th, 2017, 08:44 AM
I was getting tagged by people from everyone who didn't know the line. Turn one, middle section, second to last corner.it was maddening

pl8ster
November 24th, 2017, 08:53 AM
Yeah, turn 1 I'm on the brakes and grit my teeth to brace for impact.

The359
November 24th, 2017, 10:36 AM
The Tokyo Expressway Outer Loop, I agree, but the Inner Loop is a bit more managable as it's wider and has a lot more straights. It's really only the middle of the back section that can get iffy, but that depends on the cars and drivers.

Godson
November 24th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Totally digging the Marlboro Macca.

Currently working on another vintage throwback....

SkylineObsession
November 24th, 2017, 08:53 PM
Lot of jaggies in that McLaren pic? And lowish polygon counts on certain parts of the car?

Or am i just being too picky?

And yay, campaign mode! Might actually entice me to play the game, as still haven't touched it since launch day.

Rare White Ape
November 25th, 2017, 05:27 AM
Totally digging the Marlboro Macca.

Currently working on another vintage throwback....

Thanks man, I can’t wait to see what you’ve got coming.

Lot of jaggies in that McLaren pic? And lowish polygon counts on certain parts of the car?

Or am i just being too picky?

And yeah, there are a few jaggies there, but the pic is the auto-generated shot the game gives you when you upload a livery, which I retrieved from the community feed on gran-turismo.com. I guess it’s low poly because it’s not meant to show the cars off at their fullest. They look bloody awesome while you’re viewing the 3D model in the livery editor.

The359
November 27th, 2017, 01:37 AM
So, update is out. Three new cars, a few cosmetic changes. One big problem I notice so far, the yellow flag system has changed. Now a no-passing rule is in effect, and you earn a penalty at the end of the lap for breaking it. Unfortunately, it will detect you passing the car that caused the yellow in the first place... :(

Rare White Ape
November 27th, 2017, 02:01 AM
I was driving the Audi R18 yesterday, and found it to be fun, if slightly terrifying. I use cockpit view if I'm not trying to fast lap times or racing online, for immersion and because race car.

Cockpit view.

This is what the driver sees when trying to navigate the Casio Triangle at Suzuka in one of these things. As you can see from the few hints available that I'm way off the racing line.

http://scontent.fbne3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/24059659_10155687431495792_1494625710860313350_o.j pg?oh=7dbb58a5a6ecf91186bc33a168c37fa5&oe=5A9A1721

Turning left is relatively fine, but turning right becomes a series of sharp jabs at the wheel as I try to find the apex in tight corners. It would probably be easier in VR but who knows? I do like that cute little mirror on the A pillar though.

On another note, has anyone ever stopped to gawp at all the various textures of the bodywork on a car like this? In paint mode, the R18 is bare carbon fibre, but it's not a simple application of a carbon fibre texture like what you might have seen in other video games. It seems like every individual panel has its own different type of carbon weave, which would reflect the use of different types of carbon fibre in real life, and the nose and top air intake areas of the car look especially sexy. It's a body formed by CFD and science, a beautiful design from an engineering point of view, but overall downright ugly from an aesthetic point of view, and I love how Polyphony took the time to painstakingly model the different carbon fibre layers just for paint mode. Have a look:

http://scontent.fbne3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/24131786_10155687415425792_8330384089712507561_o.j pg?oh=e03f89e87a2e16358791b73e12855856&oe=5AD01C56

pl8ster
November 27th, 2017, 03:54 AM
That is pretty amazing!

Did a Sport race this morning, finished 8th, the splash screen at the end showed my car and my 8th-place finish, but then it also said something about how I'm now in 6th place, with a blue 'up' arrow and "6th"...but the result of the race was still that I finished 8th. Any idea what that means?

Godson
November 27th, 2017, 06:37 AM
Someone had a timed penalty I'd guess

Tom Servo
November 27th, 2017, 06:44 AM
For the R18, I can only judge that view against the one you have in PCars2 with VR, and can comfortably say it's much, much easier to see in VR.

pl8ster
November 27th, 2017, 06:50 AM
Someone had a timed penalty I'd guess

That's just it, I should have mentioned that I'd already moved up from 9th to 8th as a result of a penalty (I started 15th, no qualifying lap ;) ). So not sure what the "6th place" with a blue arrow means...

Yw-slayer
November 27th, 2017, 07:33 AM
Yes, it's not 100% clear on initial reading, but I also got raised 3 places on today's one-make race due to other people's penalties.

pl8ster
November 27th, 2017, 10:41 AM
It looks to be wholly separate from the actual race results...unless I'm reading it wrong? (also, I won my SIXTH race today, look out Bryan!)

dodint
November 27th, 2017, 02:16 PM
Unimpressed the update seems to have wiped out the mission friends leaderboards. That was half the fun of them. Hopefully it's just a sync'ing issue or something and they'll show back up later.

The359
November 27th, 2017, 03:44 PM
Unimpressed the update seems to have wiped out the mission friends leaderboards. That was half the fun of them. Hopefully it's just a sync'ing issue or something and they'll show back up later.

It's specified in the update tha they were blanked because the physics of the game were tweaked, so they adjusted the difficulty as well.

dodint
November 27th, 2017, 04:13 PM
Bummer given all my PSN Friends are done with them.

Thanks.