PDA

View Full Version : Gran Turismo Sport

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

SkylineObsession
June 29th, 2018, 12:16 AM
I should put my pride aside (aka caring about my dr and sr too much) and get back into it maybe.

dodint
June 29th, 2018, 06:05 AM
I had fallen out of playing the game for a while, so my driving seems subpar, but I finally got a chance to enter. Good Nations Cup race, miserable Manufacturers Cup race. Yet somehow, even with missing the first two races of the season, I'm 3rd and 2nd respectively for highest points for Pennsylvania.

Guess no one is playing?

You have like 600 points to my 31. Not sure if you can even count what I'm doing as playing.

I'm out of town again this weekend so I'm pretty much done anyway.

The359
June 29th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Season 2 starts next week, lasts through all of July.

Rare White Ape
June 29th, 2018, 05:41 PM
Using the game’s ultra cool VR showroom, it’s possible to trick GT Sport into thinking you’re much further from the ground than you actually are, so that when you sit down you can get up close and super personal with the bottom of the cars. This Porsche has some rather fine detail modelling around the internal aero between the front wheels. Nice work, PD. It’s like you built something that you expect nobody to ever see, just in case someone tries to peek behind the curtain.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1761/43049189562_08762798e9_o_d.jpg

pl8ster
July 2nd, 2018, 04:03 AM
I had fallen out of playing the game for a while, so my driving seems subpar, but I finally got a chance to enter. Good Nations Cup race, miserable Manufacturers Cup race. Yet somehow, even with missing the first two races of the season, I'm 3rd and 2nd respectively for highest points for Pennsylvania.

Guess no one is playing?

How do you look up the results by state? I only see Regional/Friend/Domestic options on the site.

dodint
July 2nd, 2018, 05:28 AM
Felt bad about a race last night, was the Daily B race and I was with a good group of drivers. Came in on the second lap and someone had knocked out both of the braking point cones. I failed to notice and just went full bore right into a Corvette in front of me as I had lost my reference point. Ruined their race and mine. :\

The359
July 2nd, 2018, 07:10 AM
How do you look up the results by state? I only see Regional/Friend/Domestic options on the site.

You have to look at the championship points in the game, it's not listed on the website.

pl8ster
July 2nd, 2018, 11:36 AM
Awesome, thanks. I did one race in the first Nation's Cup season (last night!, got 4th?!), which I saw was good enough for 8th place overall for the season in the state of Maine.

Out of 11 :lol: :lol: :lol:

pl8ster
July 2nd, 2018, 12:22 PM
It seems odd to me that there would be more people doing the FIA races than the daily races, but that must be the case. I was in a daily race yesterday with one of the names I remember seeing in the top 3-4 of either the Nation's or Manufacturer's Cup for the first season just completed. I mean, I'm a B-class driver pretty much all the way, they're A+, I'm not in the same ZIP code as they are. The Nation's Cup field I competed against last night was a lot closer to my skill level. And you know what? I finished fourth. It seems like lately I'm lucky to finish in the top half of the daily race field, usually qualifying just outside the top half.

And I really liked the live qualifying for the FIA race, so I could see where I was on the grid in real time.

Dicknose
July 2nd, 2018, 03:16 PM
No worries mate.

Your Aussie passport is now in the mail.
Expert it on 6-8 months (bloody Aussie post)

Dicknose
July 2nd, 2018, 03:20 PM
So played for the first time in a while and it asked to me to enter my location, State then a region. Ok New South Wales. Region - um a few listed but nothing for a little town called Sydney. Hey we are only 5 million people.
Not sure what genius set this up, but it’s an embarrassment.

dodint
July 2nd, 2018, 06:08 PM
It looks good though.

Godson
July 2nd, 2018, 07:25 PM
Maybe they are implementing cities one at a time.

Rare White Ape
July 3rd, 2018, 03:07 AM
It’s more efficient this way.

Dicknose
July 3rd, 2018, 07:10 PM
that never gets old!

pl8ster
July 9th, 2018, 07:04 AM
Well, I guess I can add Suzuka to my blacklisted daily race venues. What a complete shitshow.

dodint
July 9th, 2018, 07:43 AM
I was disqualified from the FIA Manufacturer race on Saturday. It was at Bathurst which I knew was going to be a shitshow but I wanted to run it because I have a vacation coming up and it will be difficult to run the required 4 races for me so I wanted to bank one. My qual time was 2:08 which was 5 seconds slower than Matt and 8 seconds slower than the record, but I figured if I raced clean I could pick up some places on attrition.

Started the race in 12th and really just wanted to hold position. Was doing decent in that regard except on my pit in lap I spun and gave up a few spots that I had been holding fine. Got a few of them back and spent two laps tracking a guy down that I had passed earlier in the race, he was the last one I could realistically get as we were on lap 10 of 11. Then this shit happens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRe4jtKXYlM

1. What the fuck was he thinking? Really if anything he should've rejoined after the left hander.
2. Why didn't the game make him 'invisible'? It seems like there isn't much consistency on when cars go invisible and when they don't. I know it happens when people are not keeping pace, but I thought it also did it when cars were at a certain angle to the racing line. Clearly not.

I ultimately DQ'd because once I was bogged down in the sand I threw my controller across the room, an exceedingly rare reaction from me but I was pretty pissed. The best I could've did was last place as the cars that you see battling during the spin were the back of the pack. I was really pissed because despite not liking the track I practiced for hours and my race was completely shitcanned by that asshat.

pl8ster
July 9th, 2018, 08:46 AM
2. Why didn't the game make him 'invisible'? It seems like there isn't much consistency on when cars go invisible and when they don't. I know it happens when people are not keeping pace, but I thought it also did it when cars were at a certain angle to the racing line. Clearly not.

I don't know how many times this has happened to me. Coming up on someone who spins or comes back on track at slower pace, they either un-ghost right as I get to them or the inevitable ghosting never occurs, and I crash into them, which gives me a 5-second penalty. Any race is effectively over with that kind of penalty, never mind the hit to your SR. This is one of the things I kept running into at Suzuka yesterday. I should have stopped racing, but I kept thinking I could turn it around and bring myself back up. End result is that I lost about 1,500 DR points and went from a SR of S to now just above C. 20% my fault, 80% the asshats.

CudaMan
July 9th, 2018, 09:53 AM
1. He was probably thinking "oh shit oh shit oh shit." Didn't look to me like he had much control in the grass. Side note, unfortunately accident avoidance is part of racing, real or not. It's a skill that's worth developing. Can get real tricky when cars are bunched up behind you, too, because you not only have to avoid what's in front of you but try to avoid being hit from behind.

2. No idea. I'd imagine the way that ghosting system is coded has something to do with track data and it's probably pretty hard to make computers apply consistent ghosting protocol as humans might do.

pl8ster
July 9th, 2018, 11:00 AM
1. He was probably thinking "oh shit oh shit oh shit." Didn't look to me like he had much control in the grass. Side note, unfortunately accident avoidance is part of racing, real or not. It's a skill that's worth developing. Can get real tricky when cars are bunched up behind you, too, because you not only have to avoid what's in front of you but try to avoid being hit from behind.

To be fair, I was surprised he made contact - it looked like Nate was going to get by. Accident avoidance is not a great skill of mine, I can't predict what people are going to do. The ghosting thing makes things worse, in my opinion - if there was no ghosting, at least I would know what to expect. That car sideways in front of me? I'm going to hit it if I don't avoid it. So half the time I drive off the track in anticipated avoidance, only to see the car ghost as I head off into the sand. Definitely not a perfect system.

Unfortunately, the further you get away from the S Sportsmanship class, the more unpredictable the drivers are. I feel like I'm in a downward spiral right now. I did a daily race at lunch at the full Maggiore layout and almost everyone had a SR of B. The flashing PENALTY notations were everywhere.

dodint
July 9th, 2018, 11:28 AM
I'm a C/S driver and that clip above was the shittiest thing that has happened to me since I started playing seriously a few weeks ago.

What really bugs me about it, and you can hear it in the video, is that my brake point for that left hand turn (the right is flat out) is at about 120ft. But I saw him go wide, knew the race was almost over, and lifted through the right hander just to give him time to unfuck himself and allow me more time to make a decision. I really thought he was going to rejoin after the left so I was anticipating how to encounter him down there. With me lifting early we're talking a distance of maybe a half a car length over an optimal lap. So if I had kept on my normal race line he would've narrowly missed me and crossed over just behind me. That's one of the reasons I was so frustrated by it, in terms of accident avoidance I thought I did everything right and he ended up finding me like a heat seeking missile.

I'm with Bill in that I would rather them not ghost cars if they can't get it consistent.

SkylineObsession
July 9th, 2018, 12:30 PM
Yeah i always treat cars as if they weren't ghosts, even when they are taking off from a spin just in front of me, i try avoid them incase they unghost.

I don't know what i would have done in your situation dodint, possibly would have braked a little more, but then probably would have fully t-boned him.

Tom Servo
July 9th, 2018, 05:26 PM
I didn't know Grosjean played GT:S.

The359
July 10th, 2018, 02:37 PM
I too have noticed inconsistencies with the ghosting, including seeing people passing by phasing through cars because they ghosted for a second and were able to somehow overlap. That being said, they have announced changes to the penalty system in Wednesday's update. Higher rated drivers no longer get longer penalties, no more penalties for light contact, and the length of all penalties are now shorter. So hopefully no more 10 second bullshit for a nudge. I believe the reason behind the change is that the next FIA Manufacturer's race is at Blue Moon oval, and you know everyone will be bump drafting.

I also had a similar incident in the Nations Cup race at Interlagos, qualified 5th and knew I just needed to avoid everyone for a good result. Got passed at T1, no biggie, still in a place to score major points. The guy who passed me and the next guy in front made contact in the long sweeping downhill left, the guy on the left started to lose the back end on the curbing and the guy on the right went wide off track, I took a shot up the middle to nab 4th. Unfortunately the guy who shot off wide right decided to try and salvage the next turn, didn't ghost, and rammed me from the right and sent me off into the grass, practically last after the 1st lap. The rest of the race was a shit storm fighting at the back.

dodint
July 10th, 2018, 06:50 PM
Sorry man, hate that.

pl8ster
July 11th, 2018, 04:46 AM
Glad to hear they're tweaking the penalties a bit. I actually was able to help my cause during yesterday's Blue Moon one-make races, both with DR and SR. I guess that's the good thing about being relegated to B-class SR, the drivers just aren't as good as in S class :lol:

SkylineObsession
July 11th, 2018, 05:36 PM
So the last couple of weeks i've tried to race online with the NZ Gamers Club crew (formerly NZ Gamer, but the owners shut that site down so we started a new one) and everything is fine and dandy at first. I can hoon around the track and quality like everyone else. But when it comes to the race itself... Basically when the light goes green (standing start) i'm left sitting there on the grid. I can rev, turn indicators/hazard lights on and off, change view, flash my lights and everything else, but it simply won't move (or ghost?). It's like someone has put axle stands under the car.

Happened again last night. I couldn't even enter the next race, as everything was greyed out other than the Exit button. And clicking that it just sits there forever, resulting in a user initiated game restart. Then we did a rolling start race once i got back in again, and car started auto drive like everyone else, light goes green and autodrive doesn't turn off and let me take over. It went around half the track in autodrive until i gave up and turned the console off.

Bloody frustrating. :(

pl8ster
July 12th, 2018, 04:48 AM
That is damn strange. That only happens with online races?

Should have expected carnage at Monza with the Nations Cup race last night, was not disappointed. Qualified 7th, up to 4th on the 1st lap, then back to 18th, also on the 1st lap. Managed to get back to 10th, this will hopefully be one of my throwaway races - I'm guessing the last race at Suzuka will be another, that track never disappoints with regard to online mouthbreather carnage.

dodint
July 12th, 2018, 06:35 AM
Ran the FIA Manufacturer race at Blue Moon. Qual'd 16th, got up to 9th. Then caught a pack with a guy just endlessly wrecking people, he finished the race with :34 seconds of penalty time. Came around the last corner on the last lap in 4th place and my fuel ran out, ended up 6th. I guess the race was a two-stopper? I pitted a lap after the leaders so I thought I was good, had 13 laps to go and the fuel said 12.4 or something during the stop so I knew it would be close but didn't think they'd have us doing a two-stop strategy so I let it go.

pl8ster
July 12th, 2018, 07:06 AM
There were people stopping twice during the 11-lap Nations Cup race at Monza, which I didn't understand. Sadly, I was far enough back that it didn't even begin to affect my position.

I mean, I was in a Mustang with the fuel trim set to 1, are there vehicles that are so bad on gas that they have to stop twice?

The359
July 12th, 2018, 08:41 AM
Unfortunately I think the Blue Moon race was an issue for certain people who have certain manufacturers. A car which is redlining in 6th gear is going to run out of fuel quicker than a car running mid RPMs in 6th gear. I too ran out of fuel, both on approaching the pits at the end of Lap 12, and at the last lap of the race, despite short shifting while I could. The V12 Aston Martin is just too much of a screamer to conserve fuel like that.

dodint
July 12th, 2018, 08:44 AM
I would've thought the 911 wouldn't have struggled there. That said I came in at the end of lap 12, might've been able to get around one more time. I mean, on lap 25 it ran out coming onto the main straight which is basically pit-in. Lesson learned if they ever do it again.

pl8ster
July 12th, 2018, 09:07 AM
Boy, they make it almost cruelly GTA-like to grind your way back up after losing DR and SR points. Ran the daily race at La Sarthe twice today:

Qualified 2nd, finished 3rd. No collision penalties, two minor track penalties.
Qualified 1st, finished 2nd. No collision penalties, one minor track penalty, clean race bonus (?).

You'd think that those results would really benefit me with regard to both DR and SR (I really need the SR, I dropped all the way down to C), but my DR only went up 610 points and my SR went up a whopping seven points to keep me at a C rating. Obviously I'm expecting too much here.

EDIT: should have clarified, my main issue is that it's far easier to lose points than it is to gain them back. My points fell off over 3-4 bad races like I went over a cliff, at this rate it's going to take me 30 races to get back what I lost.

The359
July 12th, 2018, 11:01 AM
Lesson learned if they ever do it again.

The problem is they modify the tire/fuel multipliers with every race, so "next time" will be different.

dodint
July 12th, 2018, 11:08 AM
Can you turn the degradation on during the event Free Practice? I ran enough practice laps that I could've did my own fuel run test, but I don't think they are on.

The359
July 12th, 2018, 02:26 PM
No, there is no tire or fuel usage in practice, unfortunately. The only way to test that would be to make an online room and make the parameters match the championship event.

pl8ster
July 12th, 2018, 06:33 PM
No, there is no tire or fuel usage in practice, unfortunately. The only way to test that would be to make an online room and make the parameters match the championship event.

Which is a damn good idea.

Rare White Ape
July 13th, 2018, 12:05 AM
Yeah. I think the fuel usage is amplified to give a bit of interest over a ten lap race.

Like what they used to do in GT3/4 with tyre wear.

The359
July 15th, 2018, 07:36 AM
Yesterday had to be one of my worst days for FIA races. I hadn't had any chance to practice Thursday or Friday, so I had to wait until I came home from work Saturday to get any time in. There were Top 24 Superstar races this time, and I thought I could at least get into the Manufacturer's event, so I really wanted to concentrate on that one. So I immediately did the Nations cup race with the Gr.1 cars, didn't expect anything great but points are points. Qualified decently, was as high up as 5th but fell down to 12th when I couldn't get a second lap time in. 1st lap was chaos, managed to survive most of it. A guy in front of me got loose, I slowed to not run into the back of him but couldn't pass as it was a tight section, but someone ended up slamming into the back of me because they thought they'd squeeze through. Instant 10s penalty for me, plus another light contact gave me 15s of penalty. Slowed at the end of the 1st lap, down to 19th place. Tried a strategy that didn't pay off, ended up 16th, lowest points score so far this season.

So I set out for the Manufacturers event, 2 hours until the Top 24. Practice and practice and practice, get down to within a second of the majority of the Top 10. The rules are that only the Top 2 cars from each manufacturer will make the event, so I'm just competing with the other Aston Martins. Unfortunately I missed the second part of that equation, which is that it is the Top 2 in the points who make the race, not the Top 2 fastest lap times. So I don't make that race, have to wait another hour for the final event of the night. More practice, no real improvement. I figure if anything the Top 2 guys who made the Shootout might have had bad races, if I can have a good race I can still gain some points. Enter the room, a lot of quality names in there but I'm listed near the top so I think I have a good qualifying time, and....the game freezes. I'm stuck on the loading screen with the list of players, and that's it. No further. From the sound of it a lot of people were disconnected so a lot of people didn't even score that round. So I ended all that practice with a big fat 0.

dodint
July 15th, 2018, 01:05 PM
That blows.

pl8ster
July 16th, 2018, 04:26 AM
It seems like the 'game freezing' thing is becoming more common. I know Jeff (notgm/gunmetal) has had several issues with that in the last week, and I experienced it once as well a few days ago, the first time that I can remember that happening since I started playing in October.

But it sucks far more for someone who actually has a chance to compete, damn.

pl8ster
July 18th, 2018, 08:46 AM
My reward for getting back to the rarefied air of SR: S? Being put in a daily race lobby with drivers having names like "GT_Academy_2013." Everyone in that lobby had a qualifying time, and I was dead last.

The359
July 18th, 2018, 08:48 AM
GT_Academy_2013 is one of the guys who competed with Bryan, if I remember correctly.

CudaMan
July 18th, 2018, 09:02 AM
Yep, that's Tyrrell. Very very fast.

pl8ster
July 18th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Yeah, but go ahead and drop me and my B-class driver rating in there, sure. Too bad moving up from 16th to 10th in a room like that still makes me lose driver rating points :lol:

The359
July 18th, 2018, 03:32 PM
I had noticed for a while some rooms were 75% A/S people, and the other 25% were D/S people. Never understood that.

Dicknose
July 18th, 2018, 11:10 PM
I won a race!
Got pole, stayed clean and won.
Ok no big deal for most of you, this was my first win since the week the game was released!
Ticked off level 2 achievement for both (with total of 5)

First time in ages I’ve been in a race with people ranked the same as me. Even the first few races I entered I was up against B drivers when I’m D. And I was 2s off their pace.
Then I entered again and they hadn’t!

pl8ster
July 19th, 2018, 03:46 AM
I won a race!
Got pole, stayed clean and won.
Ok no big deal for most of you, this was my first win since the week the game was released!
Ticked off level 2 achievement for both (with total of 5)

First time in ages I’ve been in a race with people ranked the same as me. Even the first few races I entered I was up against B drivers when I’m D. And I was 2s off their pace.
Then I entered again and they hadn’t!

That is awesome! And I feel your pain, I'm a solid B driver who always seems to be up against A+ and S drivers...but well more than 2s off their pace!

pl8ster
July 20th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Did the Gr. 4 Suzuka daily race at lunch. First race, qualified 12th out of 15, finished 11th. Entered the next race, wasn't able to beat my original qualifying time, qualified 4th. Knocked off the track back to 11th on the 1st lap, finished 3rd.

Not much in between, is there? The drivers in the first race were just so much better than I was, it was discouraging. The second race, after I got knocked off track, I was just like 'whatever' but was able to drive the line I wanted since I was by myself, and was able to pick off the cars one by one. Admittedly, two or three of them went off-track on their own, but still. It felt pretty good to be one of the better drivers for once.

Godson
July 20th, 2018, 12:05 PM
It's odd for me. When I see someone up by 3 seconds a lap, I just push harder and harder until I'm at their time. I don't get discouraged easily. I know I'm the minority with stuff like this though.

Rare White Ape
July 20th, 2018, 01:44 PM
With shooters like Halo and SWBF if there’s someone who’s got 22 kills and 3 deaths, compared to my 3 kills and 22 deaths, I know that there’s no hope of me gitting as gud as that.

However with racing games, I do have some idea about how one can go faster, so in my mind it’s an attainable goal that I can work at if I’m prepared to put the time and effort into it.

pl8ster
July 23rd, 2018, 04:30 AM
With shooters like Halo and SWBF if there’s someone who’s got 22 kills and 3 deaths, compared to my 3 kills and 22 deaths, I know that there’s no hope of me gitting as gud as that.

However with racing games, I do have some idea about how one can go faster, so in my mind it’s an attainable goal that I can work at if I’m prepared to put the time and effort into it.

That's why I kept racing the Gr. 4 race at the Kyoto combo track yesterday. Three or four times, I qualified 10th or worse and finished in the bottom 3 spots. Finally relented and used the Megane Trophy, cut a second off my best lap time, qualified 2nd and ended up winning that race. After that, back to finishing in the bottom 5 for the next 2-3 races. I'm just not very good at racing against others, generally. I get so used to my own braking points and racing lines, I'm just not very good at adjusting to seemingly random variances of other drivers. And some of the penalties are still crazy. In one of the races, someone two cars ahead of me took a poor line going into the next-to-last S-curve, which forced the driver ahead of me to slow suddenly, I couldn't stop in time and I bumped them. Not even enough to throw them off their line, they still made the corner. Bam, 10-second penalty.

dodint
July 26th, 2018, 05:44 AM
Decided at the last minute yesterday to run the Manufacturers race, Gr.4 at Nurburgring GP. Qualified 3rd after no warm up and two laps of qualifying. Had a good race, fell back to 6th early by making some small mistakes so I just let people past while I got my act together. Clawed back up to 4th and pitted in, passed a guy in the pits and came out 3rd. Made up seven seconds on the leaders as they were engaged in a battle. Leader had a penalty showing so on the last lap the guy in 2nd gave up and just hung out behind him. I took advantage and got around (I think I surprised them a bit), then got within a second of the leader at start/finish and won due to their penalty. So I got a victory with a penalty-free race with no practice, go figure. It was a D/S room though so I only earned 109pts. Was still fun though.

pl8ster
July 26th, 2018, 06:22 AM
That is pretty sweet! But the points thing sucks. Do you do both Nations and Manufacturer's races? I've only been doing the Nations races thus far, with not too much success, and am wondering if you have experience with both and can offer any insight into maybe having better results on the Manufacturer's side (I just can't commit to running both). Contrary to your race prep, I was planning on running last night's Nations race at Dragon Trail Gardens, a track I don't typically do too well at. I tested out a few different cars at lunch yesterday and for at least a brief period, had a faster practice lap time than The359, though as expected that didn't last long. Did a bunch of practice laps before the race entry, but couldn't quite match my earlier practice time during the actual qualifying and qualified 5th. Didn't have as good a race as I would have liked and finished 7th, but that got me a bit over 400 points.

dodint
July 26th, 2018, 06:42 AM
The359 does both, I only do the Manufacturers series. I suspect that I only won because my last two outings in the series tanked my rating from B to D and now I'm effectively sandbagging until my rating increases.

Somewhat unrelated, but I have been doing the offline Formula 1500 series lately and it makes the Cayman feel like it has all the get up and go of a shopping cart. I think switching from a Gr.X car to a Gr.4 car on the same track helped me a little.

pl8ster
July 26th, 2018, 07:06 AM
I bet you're right about going from high power to lower power, I know my driving 'skill' definitely is better-suited to lower-powered cars in general anyway. I can't drive those Formula 1500 cars to save my life, my best finish in the first Brands Hatch race is 8th. I think I had traction control turned up to 4. I just can't master the throttle modulation of "no power, no power, ALL THE POWER!" I'd like to blame my controller use, but I'm sure plenty of people have success with a controller.

dodint
July 26th, 2018, 07:07 AM
I use TCS 2 for all tintops but I think I have TCS bumped up to 3 for the 1500.

The359
July 26th, 2018, 10:56 AM
I've noticed that the Nations Cup races seem to hand out more points than the Manufacturers Series races. I think that has more to do with the fact that the rooms in the Nation Cup are based solely on practice time+ranking, while the Manufacturer rooms seem to be based on practice time+ranking+manufacturer variety, in other words they try to divide the manufacturers up so you end up with some variety in the quality of the rooms. For instance, the Nations Cup race at Dragon Tail Gardens was mostly Porsches, Mercedes, and Mitsubishis, while the Manufacturers Series race at the Nurburgring didn't have more than 3 cars from any one manufacturer. I was, as I usually tend to be, the only Aston Martin in the room. Because a lot of the Nations Cup races feature the same cars, it is more difficult to pass someone on an equal footing, while the Manufacturers Series has cars with various pros and cons, meaning you can use that to your advantage to get ahead of someone in front of you. But in the end, some cars are just going to be better. My Nurburgring race was dominated by a Cayman, and I had a second Cayman that I had to strongly defend against as well.

You're almost never going to match your fastest practice lap in qualifying, if only because tire wear is on in qualifying and you have to do the whole out lap, so you're taking a grip penalty by default. A lot of my qualifying efforts have been disappointing if only because of the limited amount of actual track time in 10 minutes.

dodint
July 26th, 2018, 11:02 AM
Cayman did feel good at N-GP. I noticed that the GT-Rs had to full on brake in T5 when all I had to do was lift a little early and I would sail through the turn. That's how I took 2nd place, well executed T5 and subsequent good in and out for T7.

The359
July 26th, 2018, 01:33 PM
Totally didn't see you in the room until I was literally right beside you on the track, pl8 :lol: I was busy looking at my phone in the warm-up.

dodint
July 26th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Here is what caused me to close the game today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uuEU7HQCKI

Earlier I had let the white car go. He had racked up 4 seconds of penalty time trying to knock me into the sand at the hairpin and other corners over two laps. So with the gold C7 pressing from behind I let him go thinking at the very least one or both of them would get taken out by each other. Then hilarity ensues...

Anyway, was looking at local rankings for the FIA races. I am first in Allegheny county and 7th in PA. Is no one playing or just not inputting local areas into their profile? I noticed The359 is not listed in PA ahead of me.

SkylineObsession
July 26th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Uggh, that sucks. I hate when you can't avoid a collision.

The first thing i do every time i drive a new car in GTS is turn traction control right off, even in race cars.

As a result i usually end up mid field at the end of a online race (Lobbies, not Sport mode) *if* i don't spin out. And i'm using a controller too, with L2 as brake and R2 as accelerate.

Takes a lot of practice with each car (well, the ones with turbo/power lag) to get out of corners without spinning the wheels and kicking the back out when the turbo/power kicks in, and often short shifting helps a lot. I just absolutely hate TCS/stability control systems in games, especially when it's obvious it is making your/the car slower (don't like these systems much in real cars either).

I only use ABS, as i always brake hard and can't be bothered having to moderate that too. ;)

Rare White Ape
July 26th, 2018, 05:17 PM
With laggy turbo cars, you want to keep it in the power band so that the difference between high and low power doesn’t catch you out. For example, in the F1500 short shifting just keeps you in the rev range where you’re driving an underpowered V6 that has a big fan (the turbo) blocking the air from getting in and out of your engine.

You’re better off being in a lower gear and using the 2-3000 rpm where it works. They’re surprisingly driveable, and have a very linear power delivery… if you ignore the 11000 rpm below the good bit and keep yourself busy with the gearbox. On tight circuits or hairpin corners, a little clutch kick can help launch it out of the corner.

Modern turbo sports cars are a completely different story. They drive like extremely torquey beasts, as engineers focus on top-end power and use turbos to prop up the bottom end, while the computers figure out how to smooth out the underpants-staining peaks in power delivery. Racing cars, as in F1 and Sportscar racing, have small capacity engines so still use turbos for top end, but bottom end is all about electric power delivery and that can greatly smooth out power over the rev range.

SkylineObsession
July 26th, 2018, 05:55 PM
I'm mainly thinking of the tight hairpin at Suzuka and the hairpin at the 5th corner or so of Dragon Trail Gardens, tried going 1st gear around them in an the R35 Super GT car thingy and it's too laggy, whereas in second it still gets around and doesn't go mental when the turbo finally kicks in.

But yeah, when that isn't the case i do lightly feather the throttle when in the powerband where i can.

GT is so much more driveable with no traction control than Forza is. Even after half a year of playing only Forza games i still couldn't keep high powered/race cars under control in FM5 and FM6. I honestly think the cars are unrealistically gripless in the Forza games. Some people say it's more realistic, but not from what i've seen and experienced in real life.

The359
July 26th, 2018, 06:35 PM
Anyway, was looking at local rankings for the FIA races. I am first in Allegheny county and 7th in PA. Is no one playing or just not inputting local areas into their profile? I noticed The359 is not listed in PA ahead of me.

For the Manufacturers Series, it only lists people in PA for that manufacturer. So for instance I'm second in PA, but only because the guy in 1st also happens to be the guy in first for Aston Martin.

What you're actually better off doing is slowing before the line and burning off the penalty, than finishing. The penalty system always rounds up, which hurts you, and those behind you are going to move down the order if you finish without a penalty. Or, like I saw you doing in the video, try to burn off the penalty going into corners by coasting or braking early.

pl8ster
July 27th, 2018, 04:15 AM
Totally didn't see you in the room until I was literally right beside you on the track, pl8 :lol: I was busy looking at my phone in the warm-up.

I was on the track with you? LOL. Didn't even realize. Hopefully it was during one of my good laps and I didn't screw up your line or anything.

pl8ster
July 27th, 2018, 04:35 AM
Also - Nate, I don't know how many times that has happened to me. Just maddening. The thing about a 10-second penalty is that your race is effectively over. Kill the penalty on the track and move to the back of the pack, or roll the dice at the finish and hope to salvage a decent finish with regard to other drivers' penalties, which is usually just wishful thinking in a room full of S sportsmanship drivers. Lose-lose.

The359
July 27th, 2018, 05:59 AM
I was on the track with you? LOL. Didn't even realize. Hopefully it was during one of my good laps and I didn't screw up your line or anything.

The F40s at Le Mans, you were in the blue one, I was plain red. We were side by side down the Mulsanne on the first lap but you slowed from having a penalty in the clusterfuck at the start.

pl8ster
July 27th, 2018, 07:06 AM
The F40s at Le Mans, you were in the blue one, I was plain red. We were side by side down the Mulsanne on the first lap but you slowed from having a penalty in the clusterfuck at the start.

Holy carp, I remember that, it took me about ten seconds to just barely pull ahead of you. I was finding the whole situation humorous and didn't even notice that it was you. That's hilarious. I think I then tried to draft you while also bleeding off penalty time. I don't remember which race that was as far as the first corner clusterfuck, could have been the one where I was hit from behind into the car in front of me. And I might have also messed up the entrance to the Mulsanne to add to my penalty time.

I wonder if it was just my luck, or if the game handicaps you when you do well? Because I ran that race a number of times in a row, was having pretty good success to start with. Ran it the first time without qualifying, started 15th out of 18, somehow finished 5th. Then put down a pretty good qualifying time which put me 2nd on the grid, finished 2nd. Next race, that time was good enough for the pole, I led the whole way and won by 15 seconds (!!). Might have been the very next race when I was in with you, I think I started 5th or 6th despite lowering my lap time another second or so, but the pole was something like 5 seconds faster than me in the same car. Next few races I ran were the same story, qualified 5th-7th and finished 6th-8th.

The359
July 27th, 2018, 07:09 AM
Yeah, you had a bad run through Tertre Rouge because you had someone else inside, I came up on you quick but had to go to the outside onto the blue painted runoff to avoid hitting you, so I blew by you at the start of the Mulsanne.

Rare White Ape
July 30th, 2018, 03:44 AM
New update for GT Sport. Interesting stuff:

787B
250 GTO
Mercedes-Peteonas F1 car from 2017
A new generic track

And soon you’ll be able to buy cars via Playstation Store if you don’t have enough in-game credits.

And it seems that we can’t create liveries for the F1 car. I guess licensing has prevented this. Perhaps the rights owners don’t want them painted up like Ferraris, McLarens and Red Bulls.

Or they just don’t want giant cocks drawn on the side of Lewis Hamilton’s car.

Oh, wait…

Rare White Ape
July 30th, 2018, 04:34 AM
Oh yeah and you can add decals to driving suits and helmets now.

It’s great because you can properly design your own helmet using spherical projection, which is seamless across the whole shell.

pl8ster
July 30th, 2018, 05:21 AM
Haven't driven the new track yet, had just enough time before work to do a quick Scapes pic of the 787B and a LM55 wearing the same livery :)

Godson
July 30th, 2018, 06:22 AM
Can't wait to make my helmet and suit my own.

Also, the 250GTO is going to be badass

pl8ster
July 30th, 2018, 08:58 AM
Interesting that the Daihatsu Copen costs 99 cents if you want to buy it through the PS Store, but a vehicle that costs $1.6M will run you $2.99. AWESOME VALUE, or something. That 250GTO might be the best-looking car in the game, but at $20M, I'll probably never own one, unless one pops up in Daily Gift Car Roulette.

I can't understand how DR is calculated. I thought it was 'finish in the top half of the field, get points,' and the number of points increases the better you do. I don't think it matters how many positions you gain during the race as far as what you get for points. But I think it does matter who you beat. I ran the long race at the new track today, qualified 14th out of 15th (I had time for one lap of practice on a track I'd never seen :lol: ). Theoretically, I should have needed to finish 7th to get any points. I finished 8th, and I still got points.

EDIT: nevermind, found an article that sort of reiterated my theory...but I don't think anyone has figured out exactly how the algorithms work.

Rare White Ape
July 30th, 2018, 01:25 PM
Buying the cars is not live in Australia yet. Or, I can’t find the info. Can you tell me how much a Ferrari 250GTO would cost?

Edit: never mind, I just looked into it, and only cars less than 2m credits will be offered for sale. I guess that’s a good thing, to limit whale expenditures on expensive cars. It also means I will have to start grinding if I want to try that sweet, sweet 250.

pl8ster
July 31st, 2018, 04:13 AM
Or just make sure you meet the daily mileage requirement to get a gift car. I swear the Ferrari 330 P4 popped up in my Gift Car Roulette wheel one day, but of course I didn't get it. I feel like I play quite a bit, and while admittedly I'm not the best driver, it took me eons to even amass $5M, only a quarter of the way to purchase one of the $20M Ferraris.

Having said that, the Professional League > Premium Sports Lounge > Blue Moon Bay race pays out $100k for a win and $150k for a clean win. Takes about 11 minutes for an easy Veyron victory. Only need to win it clean 134 times for that sweet 250. That's only about 24.5 hours of racing :lol:

The359
July 31st, 2018, 04:33 AM
I got the Jaguar XJ13 and Ferrari 330 through Daily Prize luck.

pl8ster
July 31st, 2018, 09:20 AM
Somehow I missed that the daily races have now changed to weekly races with yesterday's update. Seems like that is terrible news for someone like me, who is destined to forever have a DR of B. As the week goes on, I will likely have less and less chance to do well in any of the races, as the top qualifying times will just get lower and lower...unless somehow I magically stop being put in lobbies with S/A racers who are lapping three seconds faster than me.

I've got much more pressing issues in my life than GT:S, but as far as the game itself is concerned, this seems like a sure-fire way to make Sport Mode even more frustrating for the intermediate players like me.

dodint
July 31st, 2018, 09:27 AM
As someone with an iRacing background I actually welcome that change. That said, if you get a set of duds for races you're basically assed out for the week.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the Ford GT LM Test Car was only 400,000cr or so. Bought it on the spot, some good liveries should be available soon. Gr.3 car.

pl8ster
July 31st, 2018, 09:51 AM
It seems like I've been racing against an increasing percentage of drivers with DR of A/S, I wonder if it's a vicious cycle where the lesser drivers are growing increasingly frustrated with being put into lobbies with drivers lapping 3 seconds faster, so the skill level of the overall pool of Sport Mode drivers has been steadily increasing? It seems like this change from daily to weekly races would only accelerate such a cycle. Maybe I'm wrong.

Your point about the dud races is totally valid. Northern Isle oval for a week? Ugh.

Rare White Ape
July 31st, 2018, 01:05 PM
pl8 your frustration reminds me of Overwatch players who have to game for 12 hours a day to maintain their rankings :lol:

Dicknose
July 31st, 2018, 02:48 PM
The daily mileage prize seems rigged. I had a run of about 5 days where there would be 3 very cool cars and one boring box/sedan. Every time I got the cheapie boring car that I already owned. Grrr.
At least yesterday I got a GR3 car, but that was still the least exciting based on silhouette.

And got myself a new tv (hisense 4k hdr) and PS4 pro. So it’s a bit prettier.

Rare White Ape
July 31st, 2018, 06:48 PM
A few weeks ago I bought a Merc GT3 in order to do some paint work on it. Then the next day I spun and won that exact car. GRRRRRRR!

I’ve also got three Subaru WRX STIs in the garage.

GT might be adding micro transactions, but at least they aren’t random prize draws.

SkylineObsession
July 31st, 2018, 07:20 PM
I've got heaps of repeat cars and i haven't played the game that much. :(

Have 'sold' some of them, and tried to find random liveries for the rest.

Have noticed that, compared to Forza, there are less random/silly/funny/abstract etc liveries and a lot more dedicated racing ones. There are still some good non-race car ones out there. Like i've got a 458 GT4 race car with extremely 'faded' and rusty/sitting outside in the sun/weather for decades look to it.

But yeah. I think i've bought less than ten cars so far (most of them Skylines, Supras and RX-7's plus an F40) and the rest i've won or been given. Not the biggest fan of so easily being given a car each time you jump on, but oh well. Not complaining about free stuff.

EDIT: And, as said in the description, here's a vid to prove the AI aren't as shit in GT as people make them out to be, especially when compared to other driving games (even early GT games). And again, excuse my bad/messy driving, first time in that car for a while, and it was the first couple of laps.

It's in reference to me and the other R32 avoiding the spun R34, in a career mode race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ0080RzrkA

dodint
August 1st, 2018, 05:35 AM
Not a fan of the new course. If I'm going to spend almost 4 minutes a lap on something I'd prefer it be a real world course and not someones faux-Le Mans. I do not look forward to them shoe-horning it into every sport mode race for the next few weeks.

The Ford GT LM feels surprisingly heavy, but I've been racing F1500 lately so maybe my internal calibration is just off. I figured it would be more agile than most Gr.3 cars but it's not.

pl8ster
August 1st, 2018, 10:48 AM
But the LM really screams down the straights, which is why it's the choice of all of the top qualifiers.

I can tell you I'm about done with the Tsukuba daily race already, and I just ran it for the first time today.

Phil_SS
August 1st, 2018, 11:47 AM
I can't stand Tsukuba. There are hundreds of better tracks in the world (Virtual or Real) but it got this big reputation due to the drifting world and then it has just propagated itself into racing games. Horrible horrible track.

dodint
August 1st, 2018, 11:55 AM
I feel the same way about Suzuka if I'm honest.

;)

Godson
August 1st, 2018, 12:17 PM
I like suzuka and tsukuba.

Phil_SS
August 1st, 2018, 01:38 PM
I like Suzuka. When you get it down it feels really good.

And I just wanna say that I am avid reader of this thread and I really enjoy the conversation. It kinda makes me want to jump into the pool per se. :) Aka, keep it up.

Rare White Ape
August 1st, 2018, 02:15 PM
+1 for Suzuka.

Also +1 for Tsukuba. Yes it has been included in Every Racing Game Ever as the obligatory beginner track, but it does have its unique challenges that are a fun thing to master. And if you screw up, it’s short lap means it’s only 60 seconds before you get to have another crack at it.

pl8ster
August 2nd, 2018, 04:33 AM
I don't really like Tsukuba, but I have decent luck there with the one-make races. I want to like Suzuka but I just can't seem to do well there, between me botching random sections and mouthbreathers taking me out.

Had some good luck at the new track with the GT LM last night, I'm back up over 20k DR. But lest I get too confident, The359 is about *five seconds* faster than me :lol:

Dicknose
August 2nd, 2018, 09:29 PM
Wow 20k DR - when I looked the other week I was under 1k. Oh I’m 5.7k!
Must race more

SkylineObsession
August 2nd, 2018, 11:00 PM
I love Tsukuba, It's great for drifting, and for pushing yourself for a quicker lap each time around, it's short length helps that cause.

And i don't mind Suzuka. But don't love it, other than the first few snakey corners which are good when you get a good rhythm. There are still a few corners i struggle with, like the off (?) camber last corner, as you are on the start of the straight i always seem to lose the back end when accelerating.

pl8ster
August 3rd, 2018, 04:19 AM
Wow 20k DR - when I looked the other week I was under 1k. Oh I’m 5.7k!
Must race more

Considering how many races I've done, I should be a lot better than I am. I've done 691 races to your 99!

dodint
August 3rd, 2018, 05:14 AM
What's the word for reverse rubber-banding?

F1500-A race at Interlagos. Just can't touch the leader regardless of how quick and consistently I race. If I have an off on a lap or so the leader will finish in 14:07 or so. If I keep it completely clean and tear through the field the leader will finish in 13:57. You start about about 25 seconds behind the leader in 16/16 place, and in about 4 laps you can get within 8 seconds of the leader. Then you have to scrape and claw to make up about 1.5 seconds a lap, but once you get into P2 I just can't close the gap enough to draft into a passing situation before time runs out.

I always finish 2-4 seconds behind P1. It's gotten to the point where it's not fun because it feels artificial. I always post the fastest lap so it's not like he's finding another gear to keep me at bay.

pl8ster
August 3rd, 2018, 10:41 AM
One of the Ferrari races I distinctly recall that I had to use a too-powerful car to have any chance of winning, I know there were a few others. It's maddening.

Godson
August 3rd, 2018, 11:20 AM
I haven't played much because of the lack of wheel. It just doesn't do it for me anymore. I want more control and the cost for a rig, is a bit out of what I want to dish out for quality

Rare White Ape
August 3rd, 2018, 02:49 PM
The suckiest part, Nate, is that in order to create a challenge they put you in last place and make you play catch up.

From a very spaced out rolling start, no less.

The AI is shit, utter garbage shit, and the game designers need to do these odd things that no other racing games do to make up for it.

dodint
August 3rd, 2018, 05:26 PM
The funny thing is that race was, to me, the best offline racing I might of ever had...until I observed the reverse rubber banding. What a let down.

SkylineObsession
August 3rd, 2018, 06:50 PM
Rubberbanding is a serious problem in GT games of late, but the AI collision avoidance is still a lot better than some other car games out there.

The spaced out rolling starts REALLY piss me off, and i long for standing start races to become the norm again. Unfortunately you can only do that in online lobby races really.

Godson
August 3rd, 2018, 11:54 PM
Having not played online in a while, my Sr dropped to a b rating...

First race in, I'm following a guy on tsukuba who is brake checkinge down the straights because I'm too close to him. I let it go for a lap and a half, then I bully my way nicely past him into the hairpin at the back straight. Quickly pulled from him there.

After that, I still got my clean race bonus, and my Sr ranking went up.

Godson
August 4th, 2018, 06:52 PM
Yeah. So this race was really tight at the start. I had an absolute blast running it, and I had no penalties.

https://youtu.be/DkakZHYyFyk

Forgot how much I loved this game.

Now I want a rig REALLY bad.

pl8ster
August 6th, 2018, 08:51 AM
Saw the races this week and just groaned - M4s at Big Willow, Gr.3 at Interlagos and Gr.4 at Nurb GP. Decided to give the M4 a go, since my best chance is usually with the one-make races and that was a sound strategy as I finished 2nd both times. Interlagos is usually a disaster and I just don't do well at NGP for some reason.

dodint
August 6th, 2018, 08:54 AM
That's a good slate for me. But the freight company hasn't called to schedule delivery of the new TV, and we already took the old TV to the other house so I'm kind of stuck right now.

Rare White Ape
August 6th, 2018, 11:57 AM
Just use Remote Play on a laptop :p

dodint
August 6th, 2018, 03:09 PM
They called, can't deliver till the 15th. Not impressed.

The359
August 7th, 2018, 07:12 AM
BOP has been changed today. No changes at all for the Aston Martins, so I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Biggest changes are the Gr.4 Citroens and the new Renault Trophy have been neutered, and the new Gr.3 Ford GT lost a bit of power.

pl8ster
August 7th, 2018, 09:27 AM
Yeah, the Megane nerf was not at all a surprise. Some of the others were odd.

Godson
August 8th, 2018, 08:54 PM
Any tips for keeping the BMW straight under trail braking? Thing doesn't want to follow it's line.

CudaMan
August 8th, 2018, 09:29 PM
Is the in-car brake bias adjustment not that powerful anymore?

Godson
August 8th, 2018, 09:36 PM
I've adjusted it around a touch. It helps, the car just seems like it has to slide with like 10-12 degrees of rotation to be quick. That much slip angle goes really strongly against my driving style. Also is kinda tough to control with the controller for small inputs.

Godson
August 8th, 2018, 10:36 PM
I go from making strong improvements all over the place to running a race where I can't keep the fucking thing on course. It goes to slide, then acts like it is going to spin, I correct, and it throws the damn thing in the gravel.

Last corner, I go in just like normal, try to scrub speed off and the car never gains grip, I add throttle as a last ditch effort to balance the thing, and it just continues to slide out even though I'm 15 mph slower in the corner than normal.

The car just doesn't communicate well when at the limit.

Godson
August 11th, 2018, 10:57 PM
Two races in a row, leading, I go to take the last corner in a similar fashion, and the thing slides out, just barely touches the edge, and a spin induces.

I seriously don't fucking understand this fucking car. To add more frustration, I switch to in car view, and the car puts power down over undulations better, and seems more adhered to the tarmac.

In other news, I bought an "openwheeler" rig setup today from a local racer/autocrosser.

I'll be buying a fanatec setup this week too.

dodint
August 12th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Way to bury the lede.

Rare White Ape
August 12th, 2018, 12:33 PM
I tried out the Merc F1 car last night.

Fuckin MEH.

I want to know why it’s so hard to drive at low speed, while an equivalent Ferrari in Assetto Corsa is a piece of piss.

dodint
August 12th, 2018, 01:57 PM
Wish I had a TV.

Godson
August 12th, 2018, 10:53 PM
250GTO at brands....

Rare White Ape
August 12th, 2018, 10:59 PM
Yep, gotta try it.

But first, I've gotta grind out 20 million in credits.

The most lucrative race is the 15 lap Super Speedway event in the Premium Sports Lounge, using the Porsche GT3 RS. It nets you 230,000 over 12 minutes, so you have to do the race 87 times to earn enough money. That's 17.4 hours worth of driving.

Ugh.

Rare White Ape
August 12th, 2018, 11:01 PM
Or I could hire some poor Pakistani fella on Upwork and pay them $1/hr to do it for me.

In this age of cloud saves it could work just fine.

Hmmmmm...........

pl8ster
August 13th, 2018, 03:44 AM
Yep, gotta try it.

The most lucrative race is the 15 lap Super Speedway event in the Premium Sports Lounge, using the Porsche GT3 RS. It nets you 230,000 over 12 minutes, so you have to do the race 87 times to earn enough money. That's 17.4 hours worth of driving.

Ugh.

In the same race, run the X-Bow (N300) using settings detailed in a GTP thread (search GTP X-Bow). Clean race gets you 375k and over 8k XP. Not-quite-clean race gets you 250k and over 5k XP.

Rare White Ape
August 13th, 2018, 05:49 AM
Thanks Pl8, I'll let my underpaid 2nd-world employee know. It might save me $2 in labour costs.

pl8ster
August 13th, 2018, 07:22 AM
That's what I'm here for - to save you money!

Godson
August 13th, 2018, 06:51 PM
But you don't need the money to drive it :?

The359
August 15th, 2018, 12:37 PM
I'm about to start throwing shit. Sport Mode, Ive had several races with no penalties or only one penalty. I managed to drop to an SR of B with a rating of 43/99. I havent been this low since Day 1. Even literally had a "Clean Race" at Brands, dropped from an A to a B. The game said there'd be unannounced SR points losses during races for minor contact, but this is ridiculous.

Trying to keep clean, two races, I gained 8 and 2 SR points back respectively, despite also having "clean races". So my FIA racing is now currently fucked over for the day, I'll never get it back to S at this rate. I absolutely cannot keep people from hitting me.

Rare White Ape
August 15th, 2018, 02:08 PM
But you don't need the money to drive it :?

Ploise explain!

dodint
August 15th, 2018, 02:11 PM
It looks like if you try to enter the event they lend you the car.

Godson
August 15th, 2018, 02:20 PM
I'm about to start throwing shit. Sport Mode, Ive had several races with no penalties or only one penalty. I managed to drop to an SR of B with a rating of 43/99. I havent been this low since Day 1. Even literally had a "Clean Race" at Brands, dropped from an A to a B. The game said there'd be unannounced SR points losses during races for minor contact, but this is ridiculous.

Trying to keep clean, two races, I gained 8 and 2 SR points back respectively, despite also having "clean races". So my FIA racing is now currently fucked over for the day, I'll never get it back to S at this rate. I absolutely cannot keep people from hitting me.

How does one look up what number you are?

The359
August 15th, 2018, 02:43 PM
http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=search

Lost count of how many races I've done, but climbed up to A rank, 75 points. 85 is needed for a low S.

SkylineObsession
August 15th, 2018, 05:22 PM
My stats below, not sure if they are good or bad. Usually just race in lobbies with NZ Gamers Club crew, haven't touched the proper Sport mode for months and months cos of the useless/cheating drivers. And my heart rate goes up way too much when racing with unknowns.

Sport Mode Races - 24
Sport Mode Performances - 1 (in the Top 83%)
Sport Mode Sportmanship (SR) - 99/99
Sport Mode Wins - 1 (1*) | Daily: 1 / FIA:
Sport Mode Consecutive Clean Races - 2
Sport Mode Pole Position - 1 | Daily: 1 / FIA:
Sport Mode Leading Laps - 5.4% | Daily: 5.4%
Sport Mode Fastest Laps - 1

Little contact where time isn't lost and positions aren't gained shouldn't affect your ratings at all IMO, as that's almost expected in races in the real world. Prepared for at least.

But that sucks to hear 359, they need to keep revising the system. Something like a detector that can tell if you gained time/position by cutting a corner/using another car to help brake/turn. And can then calculate if you relinquished that position/slowed down to lose the time gained and then decide to not give you a penalty (all while detecting if that car you may have hit has lost or gained time also, and if they were screwed over your penalty will still stand).

Sounds complicated, but i think it's possible. Much better than going off track, losing 10-20 seconds getting back on at around the same place and then getting a three second penalty. Really? This has happened to me quite a bit lately and i've not even remotely gained an advantage any of those times.

And the rest of my stats:
Distinct Days Game Access - 38
Campaign School - 100 %
Campaign Circuit - 100 %
Campaign Mission - 93 %
Car(s) - 108
Car(s) bought - 16
Credits earned - 11,226,440
Mi earned - 68,450
Xp Level 30 | 25% (3141 pts)
Distance driven - 5,121.223 Km
Time driven - 1 days, 14 hours, 14 min and 58 s.
Liveries - 20
Photos - 115
Country - New Zealand
Followers - 37

The359
August 15th, 2018, 07:48 PM
After 8 straight races to get from 41 to 75, I took a risky move and did Bathurst, which could have been a disaster as it had helped contribute to my SR drop before. But since I was stuck with all the A level people, and I did some qualifying, I was on pole. Had a close competitor, let him go when he challenged but I stuck close. Some good fuel conservation allowed me to leap frog to the lead at the pit stops. Two minor wall scuffs, came home with the victory, and went from 75-A to 89-S in one race. Good enough for me.

Did my Nations Cup race with the karts, but I could tell I was in the "Low S" room with a lot of the riff raff, mostly D level guys who were easily lapped once or twice in this race, and the max points for a win was only 500 something. Qualified on pole, came home third after a few snafus with the tricky kart, but was clean enough in the race to raise myself back to 99 SR. So I was set up for the Manufacturers Race, did very well there, no loss of SR.

So in the end everything is mostly fine. I only had to play the game for about 7 hours straight to undo the damage, but still.

pl8ster
August 16th, 2018, 04:05 AM
I had a similar deal a couple of weeks ago, I'd been sailing along in SR/S - either 99 or upper 90s - for what seemed like months, then had a group of races that didn't seem too awful but knocked me down to something like 43. Like, WTF? I'm back up to 99 now, but I really don't understand the penalty system sometimes.

And those karts can get bent, I didn't enjoy that at all. I am usually in a well-matched lobby, but my 58.xxx qualifying time was only good for 13th in my group last night. I had a very inconsistent race, had one lap that was 57.xxx but only managed 10th.

Rare White Ape
August 16th, 2018, 05:37 AM
It looks like if you try to enter the event they lend you the car.

I finally figured out what this was. It’s a race in sport mode.

Blergh.

I want to own the car and drive it at Le Mans and Maggiore in VR.

pl8ster
August 16th, 2018, 08:41 AM
I should never, ever be matched in a lobby with GTAcademy_2013. I think the only way I would have a chance of finishing ahead of them is if they quit the race. Seriously, I'm all for aspiring and whatnot, but give me a break. I'm a perennial DR/B using a controller.

Also, don't bother trying to jump into a weekly race on a Thursday. Everyone else has pretty much got everything sorted by that point, if you're a perennial DR/B you're going to qualify in the bottom 1/3 and probably finish there as well.

dodint
August 17th, 2018, 12:53 PM
What is with the Veyron suddenly being the toast of Gr.4? Seems to pull very hard on the straights, no real way to keep up in my Cayman.

The359
August 17th, 2018, 01:08 PM
It looks like all the 4WD Gr.4 cars are strong, which has happened before. The Evo, the WRX, the GT-R, and I think the Mazda 6 are all competitive.

Rare White Ape
August 17th, 2018, 06:45 PM
When designing a livery, it’s important to have accurate source material on hand if one wishes to attain excellent attention to detail.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1872/29164847877_6562bc00aa_o_d.jpg

Godson
August 17th, 2018, 07:57 PM
Nice. I'm currently trying to re-create my old helmet. A Bell Star Carbon, with the AirTrix Boogie paint scheme. Shit ain't easy.

Rare White Ape
August 17th, 2018, 08:42 PM
This is more like it.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1848/44104344731_50a8c36db5_o_d.jpg

Rare White Ape
August 29th, 2018, 04:06 AM
GT Sport has been updated. Notable additions:

New track (Red Bull Ring)

Ford Mk IV
Shelby Daytona
VW Beetle ‘66
Mini Cooper S ‘65
Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo
Lancia Delta Integrale

The359
August 29th, 2018, 05:50 AM
It's not mentioned in the press release, but this update adds manufacturer decals to the livery editor to correspond to whatever car you're painting . :up:

dodint
August 29th, 2018, 06:07 AM
I for one am looking forward to the VW Beetle '66 Daily Race at Circuit de Sainte-Croix.

Yw-slayer
August 29th, 2018, 03:17 PM
It's not mentioned in the press release, but this update adds manufacturer decals to the livery editor to correspond to whatever car you're painting . :up:

About time!!!

Dicknose
August 30th, 2018, 12:26 AM
I moved my race seat to my spare room (which was just a full-of-junk room). Put my old screen and PS4 in there - so its basically my old setup in a different place (not the middle of my living/dining room)
So it means I wont be 4k/ps4-pro but it does make my place look presentable, rather than 50 year old man-child cave.

Was actually trying to get a cheap 2nd copy so I could do some two player with different screens. Damn the price at most places is still what I paid for day 1. Even the preowned is a ridiculous $50.

Anyway I hope to get back on and play a bit more over the coming few weeks.

That is all!

SkylineObsession
August 30th, 2018, 01:03 AM
Bah, nothing wrong with mancaves in the middle of a living area. :P We have a house-length kitchen/living/lounge area, and the lounge is all set up just for TV watching.

If people don't like it, they don't have to visit us.

We don't get many visitors.

Rare White Ape
August 30th, 2018, 06:48 AM
Shut bro. I got a free copy with my PSVR and gave it to my mate.

If you told me three weeks ago I’d have posted it to you instead!

Rare White Ape
September 4th, 2018, 04:35 AM
Yep, gotta try it.

Ugh.

Grinding away. Still grinding. I'm up to 7.2 million, while still doing the same race at the Super Speedway.

I do my 42km each day to hopefully luck out in winning the 250GTO and saving myself a heap of time.

And on that subject, tonight's effort...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5WGfLcZMRk

Rare White Ape
September 4th, 2018, 04:39 AM
At least I've been able occupy myself in perfecting my laps at the speedway. My current setup allows me to drop consistent 46.5 second laps, with the occasional 46.1 if I get a good draft and nail the first turn.

I just know that there's a sub-45 in there if I really try. It's hypnotic.

But tonight I did a fucking 45.8 and smashed my goal, so now that I've proved myself I don't even have that to look forward to.

Rare White Ape
September 26th, 2018, 03:45 AM
New update, more new content.

Fuji Speedway

Alfa Gillia TZ2
A 996 and 997 Porsche GT3 (which look really plain next to the 991 iteration)
‘89 300ZX twin turbo
‘92 NSX-R (arguably the daddy of all NSXs)
Mazda RX500
Etc…

Nothing extraordinarily exciting but that Alfa is beyooootiful.

SkylineObsession
September 26th, 2018, 06:26 PM
I was really happy about the 997 GT3 (my fave ever Porsche is the 997 GT3 RS in lime green) until i saw it was the facelift version, not the early version. Rear lights are not something i'm a fan of, prefer how they look on the 996/early 997's. :(

Took the 300ZX for a blat around the ring though and Fuji, great drift on demand car. :)

SkylineObsession
September 27th, 2018, 09:43 PM
First time i've used this effect (colour film grain), and i don't think it turned out too bad?
https://i.postimg.cc/1XYMSy4k/5917817947080884232_0.jpg

Kinda like how this turned out too.
https://i.postimg.cc/2y5Tg1jd/5765262907213348864_0.jpg

Rear wing has a nice curve to it
https://i.postimg.cc/Qtm06QDx/5773702767125233672_0.jpg

Another film grain effect
https://i.postimg.cc/fWH8mf58/5917817944329453576_0.jpg

Dicknose
September 29th, 2018, 02:25 AM
Silver Porsche - how passé

SkylineObsession
September 30th, 2018, 07:37 PM
I know, right. It's not normally a colour i pick for cars, but this one seemed to look best with the factory silver. May try an aftermarket paint at some stage.

In saying that, silver has never looked better in a GT game till GTS came along.

Rare White Ape
October 1st, 2018, 12:26 AM
Wait til you see the game on an HDR screen. Then you’ll see how they went to a lot of great care to get the colours right.

Cars with fluoro paint pop like never before.

Rare White Ape
October 3rd, 2018, 05:15 AM
Oh yeah!

Like and subscribe etc.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1937/44163532565_a47bc0d298_o.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1953/45074632601_dbf158fd38_o.jpg

The359
October 4th, 2018, 07:28 AM
Had to like that, well done.

Rare White Ape
October 4th, 2018, 12:32 PM
Thanks mate :D

Yw-slayer
October 4th, 2018, 01:45 PM
I agree with 359.

SkylineObsession
October 29th, 2018, 08:02 PM
https://scontent.fwlg1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/45146039_10215461890353236_9127341541688344576_o.j pg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent.fwlg1-1.fna&oh=a985ec473238b767c19bb1e4ba3882ec&oe=5C4A77EF

Rare White Ape
October 29th, 2018, 11:30 PM
I spot three JGTC cars, a 22B, a MINI, a Zonda, an E-Type, and an Aston Martin perhaps. Not sure what that is on the centre-right.

The track is said to be Catalunya as well :up:

The359
October 30th, 2018, 08:44 PM
Lexus SC SuperGT, Mini Cooper S, Maserati GranTurismo S

Subaru WRX 22B, Honda NSX SuperGT, Not sure? I've heard both Lancia 037 and an 80s Ferrari

Pagani Zonda R, Jaguar E-Type, Nissan GT-R SuperGT

And yes, the circuit will be Catalunya, it was already shown in the FIA GT Championships European playoffs.

EDIT: A quick browse around and apparently a Zonda and Lancia 037 road car have been seen getting their engine sound recorded in a studio in recent months

SkylineObsession
October 30th, 2018, 11:39 PM
Really hoping to see the Zonda C12S 7.3 in the game at some stage, as in my opinion that is the best looking Pagani ever, after that model (their fourth model?) nothing else has looked good to me.

Still no F50 or F355, but i can wait. ;)

And i'd say it's definitely a 288 GTO:
http://img.over-blog.com/500x314/5/02/44/90/Ferrari-288-GTO/ferrarigto846ap.jpg

dodint
October 31st, 2018, 04:50 AM
The MINI was long overdue, was my favorite car in Forza 6:A.

SkylineObsession
November 21st, 2018, 07:18 PM
F FVCKING 50 IN GT SPORT!!!!!!!!!!!

https://i.postimg.cc/c1T1LgMy/F50-INGTSPORT.jpg

May not be a big deal to some, but this has been my ultimate dream car ever since i first saw it in 1995 or 1996. I literally almost had tears in my eyes after seeing this last night, and again when getting this screen capture today. I've always wanted it in Gran Turismo, especially when Ferrari's were finally added to the game, but honestly never thought it would happen because of all the many other cars there are to include.

I'm already prepared for the fact it likely won't sound as good as the real thing, but it terms of accuracy and looks i'm a solid 100% confident that this will be the best version of this car out of every car game ever made.

Pic taken from the video below:

https://www.facebook.com/GranTurismo/videos/318741582055463/

The359
November 21st, 2018, 10:40 PM
They've already discovered from video in Monaco that the E92 M3, Corvette Stingray Split Window, McLaren P1 GTR, and "Fugu Z" from SEMA will all be in the next update alongside the F50.

dodint
November 23rd, 2018, 07:29 AM
G29 on a pretty good discount today: https://www.amazon.com/d/PS4-Racing-Wheels-Controllers/Logitech-Dual-Motor-Feedback-Responsive-Playstation/B00Z0UWWYC/

Godson
November 23rd, 2018, 10:21 AM
God damnit.

dodint
November 23rd, 2018, 10:22 AM
Gotcha, fam. :finger:

SkylineObsession
November 25th, 2018, 01:04 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ds08-YLUUAAxc8j.jpg:large

5th December. :up:

Top right is all i care about, rest of the cars can stuff off. ;)

CudaMan
November 25th, 2018, 10:15 AM
That's a pretty kick ass group of cars for an update right there. :up:

The359
November 25th, 2018, 11:05 AM
The other two appear to be a Pontiac Trans Am and a Tesla Model S

Godson
November 25th, 2018, 11:50 AM
*twiddle*

This wheel would be nice to have...

The359
November 30th, 2018, 04:21 PM
For those who might have struggled a bit in Sport Mode, they've announced they've changed the Regions that everyone is playing in. Europe/Africa/Middle East remains the same, but Australia and New Zealand have been grouped together, pulled from the Asian group, and the United States and Canada have been separated from the Americas group.

No more Brazilians for us, no more Japanese for the Aussies!

SkylineObsession
November 30th, 2018, 08:27 PM
Yeah, i tried a couple of Sport mode races the other day, the first in more than half a year, and the first race i did mainly had Japanese racers in it with a couple of Aussies, and partway through the first or second lap i suddenly got booted from the race. I suspect it was because my signal strength thingy was only on two bars or so. Despite being on the fastest possible internet speed in NZ...

Dicknose
December 1st, 2018, 11:25 AM
Not a bad idea - although Id say mostly for language reasons.

Godson
December 3rd, 2018, 07:15 PM
I picked up the g29 from the ad Nate shared. Just now able to get around to playing with it due to a crazy schedule. Need to get the pedals and wheel bolted down to get a good feel for it, but already loving the change.

Godson
December 5th, 2018, 08:54 PM
I just got a brutal reminder about how fucked the penalty system is in this game at times.

I got pitted by a guy twice and was penalized when it forced me off the track in a spin and cutting a corner while he gets to just slide by

Godson
December 5th, 2018, 10:34 PM
Working on going through every single license test and trying to pull within a tenth of 10th place on each test before I move on to the next one.

I have been fairly successful on test 10 and 11 with slowly chipping time away, but on test 12, I for the life of me can't get the line figured out. It's the final turn on Willow springs in the megane Gr4, and I have historically struggled with anything that powers the wrong wheels.

I try taking the line I did with the m4 and the car slides out early, I try to tuck in earlier, and it slides out later. If I get it to stick through the early Apex, the car has no speed on to the straight. This is all super frustrating, because I fell like the front of the car is just washing out.

Any advice?

dodint
December 6th, 2018, 05:18 AM
Buy an even better wheel.

Rare White Ape
December 6th, 2018, 01:42 PM
Git gud?

Watching the example video might reveal some tips.

Godson
December 6th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Nate, funny.

Mick, most likely I need to just get better.

Problem I have is totally first world problem. I'm faster than the video. I'll give it a look when I get my feet back under me.

dodint
December 17th, 2018, 07:21 PM
For the new season of the Manufacturers Cup, when I have occasion to logon, I am going to open up a Free Run session in the Lobby and restrict it to friends. Feel free to join if you see that I am in the game. It's just a free practice aession that will end when the last person leaves. You can save room lobby settings so it is real easy to stand up.

Send a friend request to dodint if you want in and are not already PSN friends.

I will be in irregularly from time to time, just extending the offer if anyone wants to free practice.

Gr.4 at Red Bull Ring until 12/19, it will shift to the next round after that, and so on.

Rikadyn
December 18th, 2018, 04:00 PM
I feel like Alonso, I want out of my contract so bad...

dodint
December 18th, 2018, 04:02 PM
I just switched from Porsche to BMW. Enjoying the M4. Someone made a Target Ganassi Telmex livery for it. :lol:

Rikadyn
December 19th, 2018, 04:37 PM
I switched from Nissan to Hyundai...

SkylineObsession
December 19th, 2018, 07:44 PM
I've been driving the F50 too much.

It's now my most driven car in GT Sport, only has 500 kms on the clock but that's not bad for me with this game. Probably my least played GT game at one point, but the F50 has been bringing back to the game way more often every week.

Only found a couple of nice looking race car liveries for the F50 too. Most other good ones are ruined by a bad choice of wheel (usually too 'blingy'), wheel colour being too bright/clashing, or some other thing.

And was trying to make the top bit of the rear spoiler black, like an aftermarket adjustable one, but for some reason it also puts the decal on the boot below too, like you duplicated it. Have seen a couple of liveries where that wasn't the case, but no idea how they managed it.

Rikadyn
December 20th, 2018, 06:49 AM
They probably mess with the projection parameters on the decal.

dodint
December 20th, 2018, 07:31 AM
I don't like the new penalty zones. Was about 2 seconds ahead of a hungry pack and the penalty zone scrubbed .5 seconds off me. Fine. But it did it at the beginning of a long straight so by the time I got to the next corner the pack was approaching the braking zone while trying to pass, was ugly. Normally I scrub my own penalties but I guess lifting isn't enough anymore, you have to actually brake.

I did have a GTR get past on another straight, swerve in front of me at the last second and jam on the brakes at his brake point. It looked like an insurance fraud attempt. Felt no remorse when he was nudged wide. :lol:

Overall my race at Red Bull Ring was pretty poor. I kept putting myself wide and dropping wheels at T6 and I ended up losing 4 spots over the course of he race.

Rikadyn
December 20th, 2018, 08:02 AM
Over the first 2.5laps I probably accumulated 5 seconds in penalty time due to first cutting t2 to avoid a 4 car ball, then just getting too aggressive in corners trying to recover.

So qualified 8th, after getting the penalties, I found myself in 19th and about 10 seconds off. Focused on just being calm and smooth. Ran my fastest lap at lap 6, so audibled into a no-stop.

Ended up finishing 8th.

I like the penalty zones on red bull ring, it's the tracks with only one where it sucks. The penalty time is shorter than it used to be because you are automatically slowed at the line and can't scrub it off.

dodint
December 20th, 2018, 08:10 AM
I practiced a fair bit. But I had plans on Wednesday night and wanted hurry up and get the race done so I rushed into it. I ate my dinner after setting my qualifying lap time and while waiting for the grid. Just wasn't mentally there and I never came close to my qual time despite spending a lot of my race running alone.

The359
December 20th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Skyline, you might also want to try painting the wing from a different camera angle. Set the camera for a front or rear projection and shoot a strip across the wing, then like Rikadyn said, fiddle with the angle and depth parameters to make it fit without touching the rest of the car.

SkylineObsession
December 20th, 2018, 07:40 PM
Cheers, might give it another go. Didn't play around with it for a long time, just enough to try a couple of different ways.

Rikadyn
December 23rd, 2018, 01:37 PM
Some how I get put in a mostly B-ranked field and they managed to drive worse than D. People need to learn not every corner is an overtaking point, especially if it didn't work the first time

dodint
January 3rd, 2019, 06:44 AM
This field split last night was something else:

http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3166&d=1546530179

Rikadyn
January 3rd, 2019, 06:22 PM
Replace the top 6 As with Ses and you have my fields for the last 3 weeks

CudaMan
January 3rd, 2019, 11:25 PM
Was this a Sport race? Since they split the Americas up recently, there will be fewer people to form splits from so you might get stuff like that during lean time slots.

dodint
January 4th, 2019, 05:47 AM
FIA Manufacturers race on Jan 2nd. I'm not complaining from a series perspective, I finished 11th and got 16x the points that I normally get. :lol:

But from an individual race perspective it felt like F1; the leaders really took off and the rest of us had our own race. My qualifying lap was 5 seconds slower than the pole sitter.

Rikadyn
January 4th, 2019, 06:44 AM
My splits have always been like that, used to feel the same as You nate but now I am mid pack and really only feels processional for the last few laps

7pm tonight, opening up a room for tomorrow's race practice. Just going to be a free run to get idea of fuel and tire strategy.

Rikadyn
January 4th, 2019, 06:45 AM
For shits and giggles here is my race :

https://youtu.be/XggEQCOIZGs

dodint
January 4th, 2019, 07:33 AM
The format for the FIA races is silly. I'm not running this round because I'm busy on Saturday. Why it's not available a few times each evening during the round is mind boggling to me (be more like iRacing!).

I did just figure out that you can run the race multiple times per round. On Wednesday I had a full D/S field, and then when I ran the second time I got the A/S D/S split field; first time I have seen that.

The359
January 4th, 2019, 07:45 AM
They only started allowing you to try the race more than once this season.

CudaMan
January 4th, 2019, 04:14 PM
How many times can you try?

I was going to practice for tomorrow's FIA races but the combos aren't grabbing me. I already missed a bunch of rounds this season so I'm too far behind to want to do these races anyway. The Gr.1 cars at Monza might be fun but there will be spectacular wrecks and lots of penalties I think.

I was pretty stoked to win my Mfr race for Round 1, at Red Bull Ring. There were a couple guys faster than me in the race, one made a mistake and got a penalty and I overtook him, the other qualified IIRC 0.001 behind me and was hounding me all race. I had to defend often and nearly made a big enough mistake for him to get by once. Lots of close, hard, but respectful racing. It was one of those wins you felt like you really earned.

dodint
January 4th, 2019, 04:42 PM
They only take 3 rounds and you already ran one so you can still finish the series and not have to race all of the remaining rounds.

SkylineObsession
January 4th, 2019, 05:11 PM
Gran Turismo, for some reason, is one of the few, or the only, racing game series where i don't actually mind if i don't finish first. Every other car game i usually try and get to first place however i can, by using ai to help corner/brake (or by taking them out), using the fastest and easiest to drive cars, using driver aids etc etc. But with GT i sometimes just enter a race with a deliberately slow car and enjoy the race even if i end up near the back of the pack.

It's really weird.

The359
January 4th, 2019, 07:43 PM
How many times can you try?

You can run all five times if you want. They simply take whichever race you scored the most points in.

SkylineObsession
January 4th, 2019, 11:29 PM
Jan 17th.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwIQtTLVYAAE69Y.jpg:large

The359
January 5th, 2019, 08:06 AM
?
BMW Z8
Something British
Ferrari Dino
Nissan 350Z
Porsche 356
Integra?
Mustang of some sort

CudaMan
January 5th, 2019, 10:38 AM
350 HR! :heart:

I was just lamenting the lack of a modern Z-car in the lineup yesterday...

The first and third mystery cars in that image have me stumped, too. First one might be a TVR?

I think the Integra is indeed a JDM DC2 TypeR. I think.

-

Only taking 3 of 8 rounds in FIA Sport races is a lot of drops. Add in that you can race every race if you have the time and it doesn't seem to reward certain real life sporting/racing strategies.

The359
January 5th, 2019, 10:50 AM
GTPlanet speculates the 3rd car is an Aston Martin DB3S that won the GT Awards at Pebble Beach.

Rikadyn
January 5th, 2019, 05:14 PM
Congratulations Nate.

I got fucked. Luckily I ran the 7, finished in 13th both races, but 7pm got me 167 8pm got me 22 (and a 500pt DR reduction)

dodint
January 5th, 2019, 05:29 PM
Thanks.

I only got 60 for that win. Got 300+ for coming in mid pack in the last round. :lol:

Sorry about whatever happened. We were right there together at the front for a bit then I saw you coming out of the pits shortly after. :|

Rikadyn
January 5th, 2019, 06:20 PM
The orange m4 and chrome nsx were bouncing off each other (and me when they passed, I was holding back waiting for them to either calm down or kill each other. Well the orange m4 did not know how to take t1 collected them and left me with no place to go.

The Dewalt Lexus was my step-dad.

dodint
January 5th, 2019, 06:44 PM
I decided to run the next race to score a few more points. Slightly tougher field. Started 8th and got up to 5th about 10 laps in. That orange M4 was there again and running in a group of the four cars ahead of me. They kept bumping and rubbing, and taking the turns 4 wide. When I caught them I pitted lap 11 and just let the undercut do its work. I caught up to some of them again before they pitted. Won that race too but it was a lot closer and it wasn't clean for me; early in the race someone hit me hard enough from behind in T1 to cause rear and wheel damage. Ended upmgetting only 90 points.

I only have 8 total sport mode wins out of about 90 total starts and 3 of the wins are in FIA competition. :lol:

Rikadyn
January 5th, 2019, 06:55 PM
I won my 4th sport mode race ever and haven't been able to win since

Freude am Fahren
January 5th, 2019, 07:03 PM
I was thinking

TVR (Tuscan??) / BMW Z8
Some kind of Cobra? / Dino
350Z with some kind of big engine or SC? / 356
S15at first, but now I see it's an Integra / GT350? 500?

The359
January 5th, 2019, 08:35 PM
This is the Gran Turismo award winning Aston Martin, I'd say it's definitely the 3rd car in the picture. Low windshield, front swoops, etc.

https://astonmartins.com/wp-content/gallery/db3s-db3s1/img_7342.jpg

Freude am Fahren
January 6th, 2019, 06:41 AM
Yeah, that would make sense.

Rikadyn
January 10th, 2019, 04:30 PM
Another week another 9th (5/7 races so far) 3172

dodint
January 10th, 2019, 05:14 PM
You pull so many more points than me.

Rikadyn
January 11th, 2019, 03:49 AM
Yea I don't know why my groups are better than yours. Was the blue moon your normal point spread

The359
January 11th, 2019, 06:50 AM
There is an unpublished ranking system for everyone in the game, so even if you two are both D rated on driver ratings, one of you may be much higher than the other, and this means your competitors are also higher ranked and thus the race is worth more points.

dodint
January 11th, 2019, 07:55 AM
I watch Rik closely because our lap times in practice are within about a second of each other so I use him as a benchmark. It's a little strange to me that his rating would be significantly higher, particularly when he and I are racing together in FIA races (how far apart can we be?). I only pulled 92 points for winning a race that he was in with me. But, he races a lot more than I do so I get it.

I was promoted to C/S after those two wins last week and haven't raced since so it's possible I will get in a higher split next time.

The359
January 11th, 2019, 09:35 AM
The rating is based on average performance/finishing position in Sport Mode races. So even though the two of you have the same pace, if he's a consistent top half finisher and you're a consistent bottom half finisher, he'll get better groups.

CudaMan
January 11th, 2019, 12:49 PM
You can find your numerical DR value here, and anyone else whose player tag you happen to know: https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=search

It's kinda fun. A local-ish friend of mine has raced a lot more than I have in the past year and even though I am generally faster than him by at least half second per lap, and we both have fairly consistent finishes, our DR was pretty much identical.

You will also know your relative DR within a room by the car number you're assigned.

-

I had a decent race at Tokyo in the Gr4 Viper for Manufacturer's Series on Wednesday. A couple of guys mentioned to me later that they were happy and surprised to see a Viper going that fast. I gather they've been hurt either on BOP or tire wear. I'm contemplating what to run next season - something I haven't done before. The Jags sure are beautiful...

Last night I hopped on for a daily race just for fun, with 10 minutes of practice/qualifying. Gr3 at Interlagos. I qualified 2nd, it was fairly tight in the top 4-5, and we all had a battle all race long. Hard, shrewd racing with only minor touches here and there. Well, aside from that one guy who punted another guy off. There's always that one guy... :lol: Anyway I shared the replay on my feed, it's worth a look if you're bored or you don't think clean racing with random strangers in a 5-lap sprint on a console is possible. :p Thank you PD for putting incentives in place for clean racing.

SkylineObsession
January 11th, 2019, 05:45 PM
Sport Mode Races - 27 | Finished: 26 (26*)
Sport Mode Performances - 1 (in the Top 82%)
Sport Mode Sportmanship (SR) - 99/99
Sport Mode Wins - 1 (1*) | Daily: 1 / FIA:
Sport Mode Consecutive Clean Races - 3
Sport Mode Pole Position - 1 | Daily: 1 / FIA:
Sport Mode Leading Laps - 5.1% | Daily: 5.1%
Sport Mode Fastest Laps - 1

26 of 27 races finished only cos the last race i did, a few weeks back, i somehow got booted back to the lobby. Never had contact with anyone, was on the black stuff the whole time and didn't see other players lagging. But maybe i was lagging and got booted off? My signal strength was one of the lowest, despite being on the fastest internet speed in NZ (gigabit). Was only Australians and Japanese in the lobby.

Rikadyn
January 11th, 2019, 06:03 PM
I watch Rik closely because our lap times in practice are within about a second of each other so I use him as a benchmark. It's a little strange to me that his rating would be significantly higher, particularly when he and I are racing together in FIA races (how far apart can we be?). I only pulled 92 points for winning a race that he was in with me. But, he races a lot more than I do so I get it.

I was promoted to C/S after those two wins last week and haven't raced since so it's possible I will get in a higher split next time.

That race we were in was my 2nd race, first one I got 167pts.

For 13th

Rikadyn
January 11th, 2019, 06:04 PM
https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=5528645

Rikadyn
January 11th, 2019, 06:09 PM
something I haven't done before. The Jags sure are beautiful...

You would probably be the fastest Hyundai driver by default... Just saying...

OH my national rank in manufacturers cup is 4203173

dodint
January 11th, 2019, 07:41 PM
That race we were in was my 2nd race, first one I got 167pts.

For 13th

Yeah, see, that I am just not going to understand.

Rikadyn
January 12th, 2019, 10:09 AM
Well I usually run the earliest race and my groups are usually mostlyS/s to B/s and like 4-6 d/s

Rikadyn
January 12th, 2019, 04:21 PM
Ya know what? Fuck it I uninstalled. Arguably my best track. I get the worse field of the season. Get hit in qualifying, they go off I get a 4 second penalty, go into the esses next lap, idiot slams on his brakes middle of the corner, another penalty. Qualified 13th and dropped. Winning would have been the second lowest points of the season.

CudaMan
January 13th, 2019, 12:10 AM
It's more frustrating in the lower quality fields. My first few events in Sport were atrocious. You definitely have to look out for yourself a lot because nobody else is (either by choice or by lack or awareness/experience). If you are able to get your DR/SR up to get into higher quality fields you'll have a much better time. It may take de-prioritizing the short term result and focusing on long term top-half finishes (or something like that - thinking out loud here).

Sometimes you get a low points split. It just happens. I think I am always in the top split (judging by how many record holders I end up in races with) and sometimes the points haul seems like half of what it is other times. I can get more points for 4th in one race than winning another race, even with fast guys up front challenging me the whole way.

Rikadyn
January 13th, 2019, 04:06 AM
This is elo hell.

I had 6/7 races I ran this season were top 10s (1 8th 5 9ths) the only race I didn't was bluemoon (13th). The first race winner got 90pts, last night winner got 600pts. Just last night qualifying dropped my Sr 21pts... So yay.

My lap times at Suzuka were weird too, I ran 2.04.5 on hards and couldn't bring my time down any on mediums.

The359
January 13th, 2019, 07:04 AM
Did you go out immediately in qualifying or did you give yourself a gap?

Rikadyn
January 13th, 2019, 07:24 AM
Set my gap in the out lap (to burn fuel down quicker) then start by the last corner. Problem was that no one seemed to be able to stay on track and my gap would disappear

For the times I was talking in fp, in qualifying I was only able to get a 09.2

The359
January 13th, 2019, 10:03 AM
Fuel doesn't affect anything, the game doesn't take into account fuel weight.

Rikadyn
January 13th, 2019, 11:25 AM
You sure about that? My fastest laps always come with less fuel.

Are we going to be able to change contracts soon? I have a shortlist of cars I want to try but yea.

CudaMan
January 13th, 2019, 12:44 PM
I also set faster times on lower fuel later in the race if I've made a pit stop for fresh tires.

What is 'elo?'

Contracts are up. Next season starts at the end of the month, though no specifics are known as to what the season will be like.

Rikadyn
January 13th, 2019, 02:31 PM
elo hell is a term from the moba esport world. It means that because of being ranked lower in the beginning it is hard to climb out of it because it is hard to have consistent match ups.

I want to leave Hyundai but not sure where to go. Toyota and the GR concept is interesting but I am also considering returning to Porsche or AMG

Rare White Ape
January 13th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Elo ratings were invented for chess.

Basically, they rank players against those of similar skill, and if you’re ranked incorrectly then it will self-correct by giving or taking more points to align a player better.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

For example, if two players near the top of the Elo rank compete against each other, the winner will get a point and the loser will lose a point. However if a low-rank player wins against a high-rank player then the gain for the lower will be much bigger, and the higher will lose more.

If you find yourself to be unfairly losing points then it may be because you’re being placed differently, or your previous successes were a fluke, or you just aren’t as good as you thought you were.

This article here gives a good insight into the bottom end Elo ranks!

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/08/the-guy-with-the-lowest-possible-rank-in-overwatch/

Dicknose
January 13th, 2019, 08:04 PM
Interesting!!
Seems its widely used, mostly due to its simplicity and relative fairness.
Not sure what algorithm GTS uses - Elo only seems to apply to 2 player games!
But the expression "Elo hell" can seem good when the rating system doesnt seem fair.

Rare White Ape
January 13th, 2019, 08:50 PM
I’ve seen Elo used in racing games before.

I had a world wide top 20 ranking in V8 Supercars 2 on the Xbox!

But that was because me and my mates would play every night and I’d win most races.

One day I ended up in a race containing the top 5 players and got my arse completely handed to me. The genuinely fast guys were using some kind of handbrake trick to go faster in corners which I refused to do (because I’m such a purist!) and I was just not fast enough. If I’d played the game in random public lobbies like everyone else I’m sure that my Elo would’ve been much much lower.

So yeah, one day near the end the game had fallen out of popularity with my buddies and I tried to keep the dream alive. I entered a public lobby driving some GT cars at Surfers. Got rammed into one of those crappy walls they put over the chicanes and placed near the rear. Lost a heap of Elo points. Told them over voice chat that they were a bunch of fuckwits. Traded the game for Splinter Cell the very next day :lol:

The359
January 16th, 2019, 08:30 AM
Of all the tracks in the world to add... :?

dodint
January 16th, 2019, 08:34 AM
Of all the tracks in the world to add... :?

SS Route X?

Yeah, incoming daily race for the VW Bus.

The359
January 16th, 2019, 09:35 AM
I hope they don't start putting Route X into the FIA races. Blue Moon is at least challenging and requires some skill, Route X is just a drafting strategy. I notice BB Speedway and Northern Isle never have been put into FIA use.

dodint
January 16th, 2019, 10:32 AM
Is BB Speedway the oval with the right hand turn? I actually like that for its innovative approach and would entertain a daily race there. Not sure about FIA though.

The359
January 16th, 2019, 10:46 AM
Yeah, that's BB. It's probably not used because it's just so small.

dodint
January 16th, 2019, 05:52 PM
350 HR! :heart:

Only taking 3 of 8 rounds in FIA Sport races is a lot of drops. Add in that you can race every race if you have the time and it doesn't seem to reward certain real life sporting/racing strategies.

They have modified this slightly for FIA and daily races. Now instead of your highest point getting result counting, only your last result counts. Effective January 17th.

Maybe it will pave the way for multi-day FIA race availability.

The359
January 16th, 2019, 11:57 PM
https://www.gran-turismo.com/au/gtsport/news/00_8074868.html

Balance of Performance on nearly all GT3 cars has been adjusted, might be time to do some testing again to see how this affects things. Fuel consumption has also been tweaked.