PDA

View Full Version : Gran Turismo Sport

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Rare White Ape
October 28th, 2015, 12:56 AM
It's an indication of how much we now take an interest in this series, given that it's been a whole day since this was announced...

But hey, here it is :)

The next GT game will be called Gran Turismo SPORT for PS4 and it will feature the FIA Online Championship. It's an interesting partnership and I'm curious to see how it plays out.

There's no word that I've seen on what the rest of the game will entail as far as new cars, tracks, features and career mode is concerned, but there is a public beta coming out early next year so I'm sure we'll know heaps more by then.

So here's a trailer and a link:

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-sport-for-ps4-revealed-public-beta-coming-early-2016/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmsP2aJ2cQk

Rare White Ape
October 28th, 2015, 01:07 AM
Speculation time!

What I'm hoping for - maybe even expecting - since this game is not called GT7, is a big focus on defined and expanded racing categories and real-world tracks in a similar vein to Project CARS, with a sprinkling of the best fantasy tracks from the game. They might shift away from road cars and customisation and save that for the next core GT game.

And while they're making a very multiplayer-centric title in GT Sport, it might be an excuse for them to forget (for now) about improving the AI system or updating all of the old PS2-era car models in exchange for truly revamping the physics and driving experience and pushing it up there with the best PC sims that we have available today. If this can be achieved than it'll definitely be worth it.

Yw-slayer
October 28th, 2015, 04:40 AM
Actually, it sounds like a good idea. I could get into a series representing my country or manufacturer and skip the boring-ass SP grinding.

Freude am Fahren
October 28th, 2015, 07:29 AM
Yeah, I think PCars kinda found a great selection of race cars and road cars with a good track selection. It's not encyclopedic like GT and Forza, but it works great because of the multiple cars for each class, and close relationship to real world series. Hopefully, like you say, GT Sport will focus on something like that and really bring up the realism.

From that trailer alone, it would appear we'll be getting a lot of WEC equipment, which makes sense given the FIA thing. I hope they have some of those classics they showed in the intro too.

Here's what I've spotted:

Cars:
Audi R18 E-Tron
Bugatti Vision Concept
Audi R8 GT3 (the new one)
Mazda Vision Concept
Aston Martin Vantage GTE (or a GT3 variant? Maybe they equalized the two classes)
Meceredes SLS GT3
Mazda ND MX-5
Mercedes AMG GT
Alfa Romeo 4C (I think)
Lamborghini Veneno

Tracks:
Nordschleife
Brands Hatch

Also, I was just reading that the EA exclusive license to Porsche ends in 2016.

Rare White Ape
October 28th, 2015, 11:36 PM
Doesn't EA have the rights to the first refusal for that renewed contract as well?

I seem to remember some rejoicing back maybe ten years ago when that deal came to an end but it ended up carrying on again.

Does anyone remember that Porsche Boxster Challenge game?

*shudders*

MR2 Fan
October 29th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Fuck EA and their exclusive licenses

The359
October 30th, 2015, 10:17 PM
Is that an e-tron or just the old R18 Ultra that is already in GT6?

Freude am Fahren
October 31st, 2015, 05:54 AM
I was actually wondering that too. I thought it was the Ultra, but given the update R8, I figured it might be the E-Tron.

MR2 Fan
October 31st, 2015, 02:44 PM
Cynical reply incoming:

This is a great thing for Gran Turismo...now they can avoid worrying about being the video game that has 1,000+ cars, when most of them are lower quality graphics, and they don't put the effort into making them high quality models.

They can strip down to a more pure "Racing" simulator and focus on other things.

Kchrpm
May 19th, 2016, 07:50 AM
November 15th release in North America in Japan, "some variance" in Europe

http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/19/11713556/gran-turismo-sport-release-date-ps4

MR2 Fan
May 19th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Cynical reply incoming:

This is a great thing for Gran Turismo...now they can avoid worrying about being the video game that has 1,000+ cars, when most of them are lower quality graphics, and they don't put the effort into making them high quality models.

They can strip down to a more pure "Racing" simulator and focus on other things.

I'm just quoting myself to re-iterate that my thoughts have not changed :p

Phil_SS
May 19th, 2016, 05:16 PM
It would be nice if they put as much effort into making the cars sound as they should as they do to photo mode.

Rare White Ape
May 19th, 2016, 06:07 PM
^ Very good point!

And we're finally vinyl-y. That's the biggest plus I saw in the new trailer. I wanna get painting again like I used to in Forza :)

However that excitement is tempered by the fact that there's a pre-order bonus of a sticker pack, which leads me to believe that stickers might come with a price.

Anyway, I'll still buy it, like I do with all the GT games.

Jason
May 20th, 2016, 06:09 AM
That trailer was... not impressive at all. :|

Tom Servo
May 20th, 2016, 06:59 AM
I'm kinda bummed that the first PS4 GT isn't a normal GT. Never had a PS3, and I've been waiting since launch day for one on the PS4. Guess I'll be waiting a little longer to play a normal GT game again.

Kchrpm
May 20th, 2016, 08:35 AM
Beta cancelled to aid game completion.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/20/11720058/gran-turismo-sport-beta-canceled

"It's required that in order to do an open beta we have to create a proper master for it, and considering the release timing that we announced, we decided that we just don't have enough time to do two gold masters for the game," Yamauchi explained in an interview. "By omitting that, it saves us about three months of time."

The359
May 20th, 2016, 08:53 AM
It's not a "full" Gran Turismo, they said that GT7 is also being worked on. This is a game meant more for those that enjoy online racing, versus GT7 will be more for those that enjoy playing by themselves or in person.

pl8ster
May 20th, 2016, 08:58 AM
It would be nice if they put as much effort into making the cars sound as they should as they do to photo mode.

EXACTLY! Gah.

Kchrpm
May 20th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Hands-on:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/20/gran-turismo-sport-demo-video/

The audio is vastly improved from previous GT titles too, finally ditching the synthesized engine noise used in previous GT titles in favor of each vehicle's actual recorded soundtrack.

---------------

In fact, as a testament to just how realistic the experience is, Gran Turismo Sport players will be able to qualify for FIA-certified motorsport licenses within the game – licenses that can be used to participate in real-world, wheel-to-wheel racing events.

Freude am Fahren
May 20th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Re: the audio. Wasn't it the Gran Turismo series that for years use to talk about (and show pics) recording right from actual models?

I never believed it.

pl8ster
May 20th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Yeah, the audio has always been shit, so I will believe that it's finally been worked on when I hear it.

But qualifying for real FIA licenses from within a videogame? Uh, okay, but we're not Bryan :lol:

Rare White Ape
May 20th, 2016, 06:05 PM
I'm sure that the sound got a workout after GT4. GT4 may have even had recorded sound, but it was still very synthetic.

GT1 and GT2 had MIDI sound for its engines, but we're just a varying tones of "rrrrrrrrrrrrr" in different pitches to match engine configs and revs. It also simulated your car, plus the two cars nearest to you on the track.

According to my cloudy memory, GT3 had the same setup, but simulated all 6 cars on the track. Big improvement… maybe.

GT4 shifted to sampled sound effects, rather than hardware-generated, but the system was very primitive. You could literally hear the steps where the samples switched over if you slowly increased your revs.

By this time Forza 2 was building itself an impressive array of live-recorded car sound effects, placed in a grand 3D surround sound stage. I still remember being impressed by my downshifts echoing off pit buildings in my rear surround speakers on the Xbox, something the PS2 very rarely did. The only true surround sound title I remember from the PS2 days was GTA Vice City, which had DTS 4.1 audio. No front-centre channel.

GT5 and 6 definitely improved the audio samples, but it's still very synthetic sounding stuff. None of it touches what games like Project CARS (which scares small animals) do today, or what Forza 2 did 10 years ago.

The359
May 22nd, 2016, 04:08 PM
In regard to the racing licenses, your gameplay can be used as a means to help you get your license, not simply get a license outright. And only in the 22 countries that have an agreement with the FIA and Gran Turismo so far.

Dicknose
May 22nd, 2016, 08:03 PM
Porsche! Give me a Spyder.

SkylineObsession
May 22nd, 2016, 08:30 PM
Porsche! Gimmie a Porsche!! I'll even take a crappy 924!!!

- Noticed in the latest vid (Audi around the much awesomer looking Willow Springs) than we now have 20 car fields. Not as much as Forzas and only four more than GT6, but it's still a decent amount really.
- Tyre smoke is still pretty decent, and i think i noticed it moving not only sideways like it has since GT4 (?), but seemed to twist and spin like real smoke too?
- Nurburgring looks much better, less view restricting (and likely processing saving) trees now.
- Noticed during the Willow (?) race that the best lap of the race is shown up in the bottom left corner, and it wasn't that of the real person playing the game... :D
- Sound has improved, but the Ferrari and Audi sound like road versions of those cars, not race versions. And even then they still aren't as 'loud' as Forza. Not getting my hopes up for the sound department. :/
- Tyre sound has changed. But then again it changes with every game.
- And the best thing yet, 5-6 or more New Zealand locations in photo mode! :D :D

Have pre-ordered the 'middle' edition, with the bonus cars or whatever, but not forking out $230 for the ultimate edition. That's crazy money.

But yeah, i too am worried about having to pay for decals with real money, or having some that only come with pre-orders or whatever. Hope they don't go down that path. I know Kaz has said he personally hates/doesn't like in game purchases with real money, so hopefully he won't implement it. In GT5 i think Sony pressured him into paying for DLC packs, but you notice everything was free in GT6...

I've been getting my driving fix lately from Forza Horizon 2, Forza 6 and Driveclub. Driveclub is the best looking of the three, but has bad car sounds (some sound honestly like cars from TOCA 2 - it's crazy). But in saying that, Horizon is pretty fun and good looking, and F6 isn't exactly bad looking either. They still have the best sounds, even though some are still off.

Kchrpm
May 23rd, 2016, 04:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV1kmrnzEMQ

SkylineObsession
May 23rd, 2016, 09:57 PM
Okay, i mostly retract my comment about bad sounds in GT Sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqY4nSitQi8

Supercharger whine!
A range of blow off valve sounds in the Bugatti!

Rare White Ape
May 23rd, 2016, 11:46 PM
One thing I'd love to see is Polyphony getting rid of the fake cars like the LM editions and mixing them in with spec-classes. For instance, the thumbnail for the video above has a racing version of the FT-01 concept on a track with GT3 class cars. So that's fake upon fake upon fake.

And there's no obvious issue with them getting a licence for real go-karts, so the PD editions can go too.

Although I am fine with the old racing body system of fakery, which saw a brief return in GT5. That was great for creating good home-brew spec classes.

Kchrpm
May 24th, 2016, 03:41 AM
They have a fake Corvette GT3 car despite a real one existing. I presume they have some reason.

Phil_SS
May 24th, 2016, 08:42 AM
How can a game like this not have a paintbooth/livery editor like Forza? Boggles my mind and continues to allow me to ignore it. But oh wait, you can pay for stickers.

Go home Kaz, your drunk!

Kchrpm
May 24th, 2016, 08:50 AM
I thought the stickers were like the Forza paint booth, from the tiny chunk of it that they showed.

Phil_SS
May 24th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Is it like the Forza Livery Editor where you can create anything your heart desires or is it just slapping stickers on a car?

If it is the former I recant my statement. I'll still ignore it though. Don't see how it will be different enough than Forza 6 to warrant spending $3-400.

Kchrpm
May 24th, 2016, 12:22 PM
My limited searches haven't been clear. I saw someone say it was Forza like in an article, but not with any media supporting it.

SkylineObsession
May 24th, 2016, 01:12 PM
They'd be silly to not include vinyls and other shapes etc as well as stickers, as stickers themselves just look boring.

SkylineObsession
May 24th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Willow Springs looked awesome in GT6, on PS3. Great lighting, good field of view, nice details around the track (and no invisible walls in the middle was a bonus).

However GT Sport's version has gone and completely screwed up GT6's Willow Springs version forever, making it look too incredibly fake and plastic now. *shakes head in disgust*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T06fhnX1JcY

:eek: :hard:

Kchrpm
May 24th, 2016, 05:48 PM
You can see the editor at about 2:50 in this trailer, it looks like similar to Forza but with more vinyls/stickers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW_VWFVTMFQ

Freude am Fahren
May 25th, 2016, 03:42 PM
Yeah, looks like the same system as Forza, even looks like there's grouping, and those logos might be hand made like you can download in Forza.

Also, that vid you posted, Skyline, I was thinking you were wrong until I realized GT6 was on the right and GTS on the left. Just look at the road surface, it looks like a texture wasn't loaded (maybe it's not a finished product.) :(

SkylineObsession
May 26th, 2016, 02:55 AM
Ah true, it looks a bit too clean compared to GT6. Maybe they are still working on the 'usage' texture.

Rare White Ape
May 30th, 2016, 01:28 AM
I thought that moving to new hardware was supposed to advance the ability of game developers to introduce amazing new worlds filled with the greatest experiences and limitless possibilities, and other marketing buzzwords.

Nope. Not unless you either make games that always run at 30fps, or strip features out of them so that they can run at 60fps.

Seriously, this shit goes on every time a new console generation comes out. What the hell?

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/05/the-new-gran-turismo-wont-have-dynamic-weather-either/

SkylineObsession
May 30th, 2016, 09:32 PM
A bonus out of that depressing news is that you can still set whatever time of day or night etc you want for the track, but it stays at that time. So i can still do my early morning Nurburgring sprints at least.

But yeah, adding it later like Driveclub will hopefully happen, or worst case scenario they don't implement it until GT7 at launch.

Memory etc sometimes seems to be an issue with consoles, why don't they just add 400 xxgb memory slots so that you can never run out of memory (don't know how computers work, but i (think i) know it isn't possible to do what i suggested). ;)

Kchrpm
May 31st, 2016, 02:47 AM
Super fast RAM is expensive, so ~$400 consoles never get as much as ~$1000 gaming PCs.

novicius
May 31st, 2016, 07:23 AM
Test Drive Le Mans on Dreamcast says "Hi!". :finger:

Kchrpm
May 31st, 2016, 07:29 AM
TDLM had dynamic time (though it never actually got dark, at midnight the sky would still be maroon), but did it have dynamic weather? I don't remember.

Edit: Checking old reviews, the weather was indeed dynamic :up:

Rare White Ape
May 31st, 2016, 11:35 PM
Fucking iRacing with it's awesome and clever dynamic grip system need not be mentioned here either. It's probably the best dynamic-anything available in a racing sim.

The main thread of my rant earlier was to point out how we get powerful new consoles that supposedly give developers the headroom to do anything they want to, yet we're still stuck with skimping on features just to achieve crazily detailed visuals at high frame rates. I would genuinely be happy with a slight bump in car model detail over GT6 rather than the giant leap we're getting now. GT6 graphics are OK, except for it being a jaggy mess with overly sharp aliasing.

PS4 has 16x the RAM of the PS3. Imagine what games would be like if they chose experience over graphics.

SkylineObsession
June 2nd, 2016, 09:39 PM
Good points.

They could do two versions of it, a 30fps 'everything' mode, and a 60fps 'eye candy' mode. Will never happen, but yeah.

Yw-slayer
June 3rd, 2016, 03:56 AM
Graphics are easier to sell than "realism/steering feel".

Freude am Fahren
June 3rd, 2016, 07:37 AM
Good points.

They could do two versions of it, a 30fps 'everything' mode, and a 60fps 'eye candy' mode. Will never happen, but yeah.

Didn't they do that with GT2?

Yobbo NZ
June 3rd, 2016, 01:02 PM
It was either 1 or 2,you unlocked an HD mode for 2? tracks at the end of the game.Pretty sure it was GT1,as I never managed to finish any after that.

Rare White Ape
June 3rd, 2016, 05:15 PM
Yeah I remember that. It was GT1, and I think you had to win the GT World Championship at the end of the main thread of career mode. You got no cars to race against and three tracks, stripped of background detail.

racerfink
June 6th, 2016, 09:42 AM
The sound of those cars reving on the grid, and the physics of the cars... are they releasing this on the PS2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV1kmrnzEMQ

Rare White Ape
June 12th, 2016, 12:15 AM
New trailer. New photomode looks sweet. Livery editor looks like it might be a direct copy of the Forza feature, which is perfectly A-OK with me :up: I'm very interested in seeing what mods you can apply to cars now; looks like a few beefy looking race-body style upgrades are present. The FIA Championships thing looks very contrived and barely interests me at all. Expect a full features blowout at E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_yeFZ-jd0k

MR2 Fan
June 16th, 2016, 06:34 PM
So they're trying to pivot to the real racing simulator vs the real driving simulator

SkylineObsession
June 16th, 2016, 08:37 PM
But still use the term driving simulator (in that trailer or somewhere else i saw it).

All i care about are the cars, so either way is good.

Kchrpm
August 30th, 2016, 07:08 AM
Delayed to 2017

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/30/12709676/gran-turismo-sport-release-date-delayed-2017

The359
August 30th, 2016, 08:38 AM
More time for Assetto Corsa!

dodint
August 30th, 2016, 09:15 AM
GT Sport is just one of the faux games meant to placate people before GT 7, right? And it's 4 years late? To the point that PS4.5 is coming out already?

W.T.F.

Rare White Ape
August 30th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Delayed to 2017

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/30/12709676/gran-turismo-sport-release-date-delayed-2017

Aaaaaaand in news that will surprise no one… :lol:

@ dodint, I'm pretty sure that this is meant to be a spinoff title that has a completely different experience to the core GT series. It's very multiplayer-focused with none of the usual career mode things like buying cars and parts or that sort of stuff. There's new customisation options that we've seen in the trailers for Sport and a few more things that will most likely make it into GT7 down the line.

So yeah, it's not intended to be like a GT7 Prologue. The real GT7 will come later (and I'll get a real big stiffy in my pants if they finally do another Tourist Trophy game) and GT Sport is nicely timed to become one of the PS4 Neo launch titles.

dodint
August 30th, 2016, 02:34 PM
*scoffs*

Project Cars on PS4 is really great, it's just missing a few tracks and cars that I need in order to round it out.

Rare White Ape
August 30th, 2016, 04:44 PM
I agree, PCars is awesome. But I wanna try Assetto Corsa and see how that compares. I've read people saying it's a much better sim than PCars.

dodint
August 30th, 2016, 05:57 PM
On PS4?

SkylineObsession
August 31st, 2016, 06:41 PM
Yeah, i would've fallen over in shock if GT Sport DIDN'T have a release delay. ;)

Not bothered, got a lot of Forza games to finish (and start, once Horizon 3 comes out) and still haven't done everything in Driveclub, so have a lot of car stuff yet to do. :)

XHawkeye
December 4th, 2016, 05:55 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cy0a69VXcAA2Y85.jpg

This 4K trailer has whet our appetite for Gran Turismo Sport http://www.evo.co.uk/news/17760/gran-turismo-sport-preview-4k-video-and-new-images

dodint
December 4th, 2016, 06:51 AM
Is it possible PD is going to completely miss the PS4 regarding GT7? They can't even get this trial software nailed down to a year and the PS4 life cycle is presumably at the halfway mark.

Freude am Fahren
December 4th, 2016, 10:18 AM
I was just thinking that while watching the video. I would think they probably already know what Sony has in the pipeline for a PS5, and maybe even some early development hardware. Not that I can think of how it can get much better looking than that. Use that computing power for physics/AI! VR (maybe 3D VR? is that a thing?) I guess will be the big thing next gen.

SkylineObsession
December 4th, 2016, 01:23 PM
AI car sounds still sound completely made up/fake. :( Come on PD...
Going by videos on GTPlanets main page.

Jason
December 4th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Gorgeous video, but all the 'features' named make it sound like it's a tech demo for the PS4 Pro, not an actual game.

balki
December 5th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Why 4k? The PS4 will struggle to do 1080p and 60fps
Didn't they say the same 4k thing about GT5 or 6's photo mode (this on the PS3 that didn't even run anything impressive at 720p natively)?

137 of what Polyphony Digital calls ‘Super Premium’ cars.
so basically 1000 other cars from 12+ years ago (GT4)

The PlayStation 4 game which we'll likely call GT7 will be done in about a year or two
Kaz - September 2013

Massive delays for a glorified prologue, even with PD's Duke Nukem history ...
... I'm a disappoint

SkylineObsession
December 5th, 2016, 02:03 PM
PD always seem to nail the visual accuracy (car design, track replication) and have some of the most realistic camera angles etc, but unfortunately their hard work always seems to be let down by the platform - the details they put in are pretty much a console ahead of the current one for sale.

dodint
December 5th, 2016, 07:04 PM
I disagree. Sort of.

balki
December 6th, 2016, 04:20 AM
They may just be bad programmers.
Remember the decade + we dealt with 6 cars for technical reasons while TD:LM had 24 cars with weather and day/night in the same race (not separate rain and night tracks)?

Now it takes 3+ years to model 137 cars, which are on the same level as Forza's (with crappier AI and sound, and arguably physics)

GT1 was so good, then GT2 more than quadrupled the car list within to years.
The IP, at this point, seems like it would be much better out of Kaz's hands.

SkylineObsession
December 6th, 2016, 10:44 AM
I've actually found the car details/accuracy to be better than Forza with each generation. Like the R32 Skyline GT-R (and numerous others - like most Audis with their front grills) has NEVER looked right in any Forza game (headlights especially) and i consider myself an expert on that view, since i've driven/ridden in no less than four of them in real life, and see them on almost a daily basis - and the headlights on our cars are pretty much identical.

Forza 6 and Horizon 3 improved the amount of detail in the cars over GT6 but the accuracy is still off with some cars though - i just don't get why, they've had so many opportunities to fix it. Whereas i honestly cannot fault any car i've seen in any GT game. Even the accuracy of the cars in GT2 still amazes me, when every other car game at the time (and for years after) had way less polygons, and often in the wrong places.

Then i look at GT Sport photos and just when i think they can't get more details than Forza or premium GT6 cars, they do just that. Seriously - compare Forza Horizon 3 cars, GT Sport cars and the real life versions and tell me which game has the better accuracy. I'm really not being a fanboy here, but it just seems like GT has always set the benchmark for car details and finally now other developers are catching up to them - they've essentially helped the industry try harder.

I think the reason that GT games have so many framerate drops recently is because they put so much detail into the cars that their game engine can't cope (maybe they need to start building a new engine?). Because as we all know frame rates drop when too much is happening on screen.

And remember GT has had changeable time of day and weather in its past few games on certain tracks, while looking better than a number of other games that do the same thing, or less (that i know of). Yet again - not fanboyism, these are just the things that my attention to detail eye picks up on - i'm a sucker for accuracy, so everytime something isn't quite right it catches my eye.

But PD do need to keep hiring more staff, or maybe change/redo their engine like i suggested above - the sounds are still not as good as Forza's even with a Forza sound man there. I'm increasingly happy with the physics in GT, but they still have to work on the low speed stuff. But the way the body momentum quickly snaps the car into oversteer is more realistic than Forza, as i've done the exact same thing in real life on a few occasions - it happens way faster than Forzas slow mo version...

Kaz's problem i think is perfectionism, and it's either the consoles (as per my post above) and or the engine that cannot cope with that. They even admit they have to tone some things down to make the game run better.
P.S. I've been playing Forza games (Horizon 1-3 and Motorsport 3-6) almost exclusively for months now, so clearly i'm not anti-Forza.

balki
December 6th, 2016, 11:12 AM
GT6 has a better car and track selection than FM6 and the series has made huge improvements in every aspect since GT3, but has not kept up with the rest of the industry's improvements
Kaz has spend way to much time and resources on photo mode, a 3-monitor 3-console setup, interior details, ...
Constantly taking 24-48 months to give us 12 months of apparent development for a solid hot-lapping simulator = :|

SkylineObsession
December 6th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Don't disagree with any of that.

I wasn't one of the many asking for an interior view back in the day, it's nice don't get me wrong, but i usually use bonnet/roof view in car games (excluding GTA and Mad Max). So it almost seems like the detail in that has gone to waste since i don't think many would take much notice of it.

Photo mode i quite like though, and GT Sports one seems to be taking it to an all new level. That's probably come about because of the amount of work they've put into the cars, so they want people to appreciate them more (or to give those that do a chance to take some great shots).

At the moment though, Forza's car selection is getting much more varied and diverse than Gran Turismos, and it's GT that needs to do the catching up. Forza's had some very interesting choices over the years (Transit van, supertruck, limo, 4WD's etc).

Godson
December 6th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Visually GT has always been better. People forget that Forza comes out more often. GT6 came out in 2013 on the ps3....that's 3 years ago and on an older platform. It still has better visuals in areas than Forza.

I do wish the GT tire module was better.

Cuda did a cool comparison a few years ago between a 370z on tried and true slicks in RL and built a very similar car in GT and compared the data. I think it was the sports tires in GT were carrying as much corner speed as his full blown race tires in RL. I don't remember the lap times off the top of my head to add in to the comparison.

I'll likely buy it, I've been planning on building a rig and getting a G29. I need to venture as far away from motorcycles as I can, and this would be a good way to do it.

CudaMan
December 6th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Sports Hard tires gave roughly equivalent lateral Gs to the Continental slicks we used on the real car. Braking Gs were slightly better than real life. Comfort Softs were a little closer in that aspect.

Contis are not the best race slicks (primarily they don't like mixing lateral/longitudinal load, at all) but they're not miles off. I don't think any real life tire exists that has the grip of GT6's Racing tires.

Reynard
December 6th, 2016, 05:18 PM
The handmade, handcut silicone slicks I used on my slot cars when I raced them in a league many moons ago probably come close. ;)

SkylineObsession
December 6th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Have you ever played Forza Motorsport Bryan? Would be interesting to see how that compares, as i've had traction probs with cars in that series that you wouldn't think would be realistic.

Rare White Ape
December 6th, 2016, 10:27 PM
I need to venture as far away from motorcycles as I can,

Woaaaah hangonafuckinminute.

Let's not get too brash here. You do know that 'building a rig' is dangerous too, you might stub your toe on it if you're not paying attention.

Godson
December 6th, 2016, 10:38 PM
Lol. Good thing I have 10 to stub....

balki
December 7th, 2016, 06:00 AM
Hey Cuda, did you find that the MKI MR2 was way too snappy in GT5/6? Had a MK1.5 at one point and it was more stable in the snow than in the dry in GT6

CudaMan
December 7th, 2016, 09:09 PM
I don't remember driving one in GT5/6. :shrug:

And Skyline, I tried one Forza game for 5 minutes years ago. It didn't do anything for me and I saw no need to get into the "other" system given who has supported me. :)

Rare White Ape
December 8th, 2016, 02:22 AM
Fanboy

balki
December 8th, 2016, 05:14 AM
I don't remember driving one in GT5/6. :shrug:
You haven't GT driven every car you've ever owned!?!
Especially the best car you've ever owned :D

CudaMan
December 8th, 2016, 10:25 AM
The SW20 is better. :D

samoht
December 12th, 2016, 02:26 PM
I've actually found the car details/accuracy to be better than Forza with each generation. Like the R32 Skyline GT-R (and numerous others - like most Audis with their front grills) has NEVER looked right in any Forza game (headlights especially) and i consider myself an expert on that view, since i've driven/ridden in no less than four of them in real life, and see them on almost a daily basis - and the headlights on our cars are pretty much identical.

Forza 6 and Horizon 3 improved the amount of detail in the cars over GT6 but the accuracy is still off with some cars though - i just don't get why, they've had so many opportunities to fix it. Whereas i honestly cannot fault any car i've seen in any GT game. Even the accuracy of the cars in GT2 still amazes me, when every other car game at the time (and for years after) had way less polygons, and often in the wrong places.

I agree. I was disappointed to discover cars that are just wrong in Forza 6.

FD3S - front wheelarches are 'flared' in the game, there's a weird looking vertical dent in the doors
Lexus LFA - doors are too vertical, not enough roll at the top, looks too slab-sided
Merc Gullwing ('55) - rear wheelarches are too 'humped' upwards above the wing line

They have lots of polygons, but they put them in the wrong places :( GT6 is 'better' to me despite being less powerful.

Kchrpm
December 12th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Forza is full of issues, small and otherwise, that result from their strict 2-year release calendar. Many have remained for multiple versions of the game, but some are actually getting patched out in FM6 updates. And a good 24-car online race in a car you built, tuned, and painted yourself feels fantastic.

novicius
December 13th, 2016, 04:14 AM
Perfect is the enemy of good. #shrug

Kchrpm
December 13th, 2016, 06:12 AM
Perfect is the enemy of good. #shrug

That's what my love life and empty second garage bay keep telling me.

SkylineObsession
December 13th, 2016, 12:50 PM
I'm not fully picking on Forza Keith, GT also has more than its fair share of bugs/annoying things too. Like GT6, there was no 'challenging' races for the veterans - like enduros. Or if there was i can't remember, been so long since i've played it. :|

Kchrpm
December 13th, 2016, 12:56 PM
I didn't think you were, they were valid if detail-oriented concerns. Forza die-hards can tell you plenty of issues with the games that have been there since the beginning, or are worse than they used to be, etc. Sticking to their schedule and greatly affecting Microsoft's finances just is not how you make the best game, but it does mean the game comes out every year on time. Both methods have their drawbacks.

SkylineObsession
December 13th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Yeah true, other developers are starting to stray away from that process now, like no more annual NFS etc games for a while. There's just too much detail that goes into them now.

Rare White Ape
December 13th, 2016, 11:31 PM
The next Forza game will still land with DLC that was included free as part of the last game.

novicius
December 14th, 2016, 03:50 AM
There is no way to reply to this comment that isn't utter eye-rolling snark. :lol:

Kchrpm
December 14th, 2016, 06:31 AM
Yeah true, other developers are starting to stray away from that process now, like no more annual NFS etc games for a while. There's just too much detail that goes into them now.

Forza and Call of Duty have switched to a multiple developer/side-brand model, where they release a new game every year but have 2 or 3 different development houses working staggered so that they each have 2-3 years to finish the game. Makes for some weird overlap and give and take (popular modes/changes from one CoD developer are then pushed on to other developers, and silly things like "fuel use and tire wear only" setting are left in Horizon even though the game has no fuel use or tire wear model).

dodint
February 8th, 2017, 03:16 PM
My buddy has played the beta, driving a 4C at Brands Hatch.

Yw-slayer
February 8th, 2017, 06:27 PM
There is no way to reply to this comment that isn't utter eye-rolling snark. :lol:

What about "Stop playing racing, or video, games"?

novicius
February 9th, 2017, 04:21 AM
Does Mick play FM games?

But whatever, I was just implying that Turn 10/Microsoft in general (and Dan Greenawalt specifically no doubt) will always analyze the data to maximize profits. #cynic

Yw-slayer
February 9th, 2017, 06:53 AM
A corporation that seeks to maximise profits? NO WAY

novicius
February 9th, 2017, 07:08 AM
Right?? :lol:

Rare White Ape
February 9th, 2017, 12:16 PM
Does Mick play FM games?

Yeah I do :)

I find them to be quite enjoyable. FH3 is a great game, one of my favourites from last year.

But I don't like the cynical cash grab by publishers with their annoying DLC habits, and Microsoft is not alone in this. I almost never buy DLC unless it's ridiculously cheap, such as the FM6 Porsche pack that I scored for $6.99.

balki
February 10th, 2017, 08:28 AM
My buddy has played the beta, driving a 4C at Brands Hatch.
so based on PD's history with GT5 prologue we only have until the end of 2019 to expect the full release

dodint
February 10th, 2017, 08:36 AM
Yeah. I didn't even ask him how complete it was or anything, no real reason with PD.

Rare White Ape
March 9th, 2017, 11:55 AM

EU players: http://beta.software.eu.playstation.com/GTSportBeta

US players: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2017/gran-turismo-sport-beta-sign-up/

It begins March 17 in the US, then a short time later for Europe.

stephenb
March 18th, 2017, 03:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7WfGWDkBxE :eek:

dodint
March 18th, 2017, 03:47 PM
I saw Cuda was racing it.

The video is pretty and all but I'm about 15 years past getting duped by replay footage.

Rare White Ape
March 19th, 2017, 03:48 AM
Looks like someone is using sticky tires and shitty AI.

Classic Gran Turismo. Don't ever change :lol:

But eh, I'll buy it. I buy all the GT games.

SkylineObsession
March 19th, 2017, 01:37 PM
I love the start where the cars are all over the place - looks quite real. I suspect that is all footage from a PS4 Pro though, so won't look that good on our old HD TV and normal PS4. Won't upgrade them just for this game though.

Not sure about the AI car sounds, once again it almost sounds like they've dumbed them down for bandwidth etc issues to keep the race running smoothly. A.k.a They all seem to sound similar. :(

Looks like the f*U%&^%@@#ing rubberbanding AI has not left the game. On the second lap he's way in front and then suddenly all the cars seem to catch right up to him. Rubberbanding AI really fucks me off and has no place in a simulation driving/racing game like GT, Forza, Project Cars etc etc. Leave that sort of crap for the arcade racers. I hope i see it wrong, as he did make a slight mistake, but even so i strongly suspect the game will still have it.

Yw-slayer
March 19th, 2017, 05:29 PM
Well, it's pretty

CudaMan
March 20th, 2017, 05:18 PM
I've only had time to fire up the beta briefly so far. It looks fanfriggentastic on my not-quite-standard standard PS4 and 55" Vizio. No PS4-compatible wheel yet so I'm not racing much with the controller. They do have a new feature where you can use the controller's built in sensor(s) to simulate a steering wheel. Air steering.

dodint
March 20th, 2017, 05:21 PM
Air steering would suffer from the Wii steering problem, I'd think. Without a fixed position you'd be waving all over the place like a madman. ;)

Jason
March 21st, 2017, 04:58 AM
GT does replays so much better than Forza.

novicius
March 21st, 2017, 04:59 AM
Absolutely true. :up:

Kchrpm
March 21st, 2017, 06:27 AM
GT's replays + Forza's livery system would be phenomenal. And probably exists in some PC game.

SkylineObsession
March 21st, 2017, 09:52 PM
I've saved more replays in GT games than i'd care to count. :| Got 1-2+ memory cards full of GT2 and GT3/Prologue/GT4 ones still. :D
They honestly do them so well that i think i used to do a race just to watch the reply - never had that (odd) urge to do that in any other game series.

And yeah it'll be interesting how well the livery system in GTS will be. Hopefully they've played Forza, Need For Speed etc and built on how they do them - instead of starting basic and improving with each iteration.

dodint
March 22nd, 2017, 05:17 AM
GT replays is that screen that means it takes an extra 3 seconds to get back to the main menu. Only time I 'watch' them is when I let it run while I get a beer. I understand it's my own opinion but I put zero value on how good the replay looks. But I also don't understand b-spec mode outside of endurance racing co-driving. I just want to race, and until that's perfected (it's not, it seems) the visuals are just frivolous and detracting from the core value of the game.

GreatScawt
March 27th, 2017, 12:11 PM
When I rented Gran Turismo (1) for the first time, the replays are what absolutely shook the foundation of what I understood to be "good graphics". Same goes for my friend, same with my brother. That was quite a moment.

Yw-slayer
March 27th, 2017, 04:48 PM
I had a dream last week that my colleague had bought a Lotus 2-Eleven and wanted me to drive it on-track. As I've never been near one, when it got to the part of the dream where I was driving it, it suddenly changed into a Gran Turismo style playback of a lap around Suzuka. :lol:

Rare White Ape
March 28th, 2017, 02:01 AM
:lol:

Did you have all the on-screen lap counters as well?

Godson
March 28th, 2017, 03:34 AM
So what you are saying was, it looked pretty, but the sounds still sucked.

novicius
March 28th, 2017, 04:27 AM
When I rented Gran Turismo (1) for the first time, the replays are what absolutely shook the foundation of what I understood to be "good graphics". Same goes for my friend, same with my brother. That was quite a moment.
I had a similar experience -- but with the 3DO. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baAgstBpTNQ&feature=youtu.be&t=45s) :D

Super Nintenwhat?! :finger:

Yw-slayer
March 28th, 2017, 05:29 AM
Ape, Tyler - yes to your questions/statements. :lol:

Jason
March 28th, 2017, 06:21 AM
I definitely B-Specced quite a bit on the... PS2? version of the game while I did other things, just because it was so nice. :|

Tom Servo
March 29th, 2017, 06:07 AM
Heh, I had a 3DO and I really remember it looking better than that.

I also like that apparently you can hit the highway patrol guy and he doesn't seem to mind too much.

novicius
March 29th, 2017, 06:20 AM
Yep for its time it was stellar; absolutely nothing else came close. :cool:

I was smitten by the SEGA Genesis (1989), skipped the Super NES (1991) and then experienced the 3DO (1993). It was a complete game-changer and completely made SONY's Playstation (1995) an also-ran to me when it debuted. Everyone was gaga over the PSX and I was just rollin' my eyes... I had been playing NFS for over a year by that point!! :lol:

Tom Servo
March 29th, 2017, 06:55 AM
If only the controllers hadn't been utter, utter shit. I remember *trying* to play that fighting game that came out around launch, the Mortal Kombat knockoff. Was damn near impossible to hit a diagonal on that D-pad.

The359
March 29th, 2017, 08:33 PM
So....I got an invite to the Closed Beta for GT Sport.

Haven't had a try yet, only just got the email. It's been in closed beta for a week or two now, but apparently I only now got the invite. :?

dodint
March 29th, 2017, 08:46 PM
I thought it was something you could sign up for? I was sent notification of it a few days before I saw Cuda playing, but I knew I couldn't do it so I didn't reply.

CudaMan
March 29th, 2017, 08:58 PM
They are ramping up the number of testers in a controlled fashion. This is probably Wave 2. :)

The359
March 29th, 2017, 08:59 PM
I thought it was something you could sign up for? I was sent notification of it a few days before I saw Cuda playing, but I knew I couldn't do it so I didn't reply.

You could apply, but apparently they didn't accept everyone who signed up, or as Cuda suggested, they're doing everyone in waves. I can't do the online play during the week when I'm at work, but apparently there are offline modes to test out.

The359
March 30th, 2017, 08:55 AM
First impressions from playing at 2am with just a controller. You start with a street Audi TT-S, a race modified Mercedes SLS, and a full GT3-spec Corvette C7, and Brands Hatch is the only arcade mode track. You can unlock a new car every day by completing 26.2 miles a day in any mode. I unlocked a race modified Corvette C7. It appears to be a random selection, not scripted.

* Holy crap is the HUD overloaded. Digital and analog speedometer, rev gauge as well as a seperate shift light gauge, icons for headlights and traction control and stability control and emergency brake and everything, gear information and suggestion, warning beacons for when a car is on either side of you, and a customizable section that allows you to pick radar, track map, or adjust various settings including brake bias, traction control, etc. Way too much, honestly. I hope a lot of this can be cut out in the full game.
* Sounds are beautiful. The Mustang GT3 has a great burble on the overrun. The Corvette doesn't, which I wish it did, but each car does sound unique and, in my opinion, realistic.
* Looks gorgeous. Watching a replay of a GT3 race at dusk, with all the headlights, it looks very realistic.
* AI is usual GT shit, for the most part. Braking in places they shouldn't be, following weird racing lines, and every car seems to follow a pre-determined path. That being said, they do seem to be better at not turning into you when you get a nose up alongside them, and they do seem to race one another pretty well once someone can get close enough to pass.

balki
March 31st, 2017, 05:35 AM
Didn't one of the Prologue's having realistic exhaust notes but the full release dumbed it down (to display a few extra polygons), or am I imaging that?

Dicknose
April 11th, 2017, 07:50 PM
So it's official - Porsche is in.
GT3RS is in, but I presume there will be others. Maybe not a lot, considering how slow the GT team goes!
The GT4 or something from the Boxster/Cayman family would be nice. Macan/Cayenne who cares!

SkylineObsession
April 11th, 2017, 09:50 PM
https://www.gtplanet.net/porsche-officially-confirmed-for-gran-turismo-sport/

Yee haaa! :D Hopefully they get the sounds right though. Not sure even Forza does?

But still, this is the most exciting news i've heard about GT for a very long time.

Rare White Ape
April 12th, 2017, 12:21 AM
It's pretty good news!

I've also seen that European PSN accounts will have access to the beta starting this weekend. I'm not sure that it's fully opened yet, so we'll see.

Dicknose
April 12th, 2017, 01:43 AM
Well I'll be beta testing the Spyder for them... just hope the cops aren't doing double shifts for double demerits. And the snow stays away!

SkylineObsession
April 26th, 2017, 11:37 PM
I hear a lot of the 'Gran Turismo' sound in these Porsches. :( Not impressed at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IvaVveDnlk

Graphics and handling etc all look fine and will still buy the game, but yeah.

Rare White Ape
April 27th, 2017, 06:18 AM
Flat-6 RR sowing machines.

Yobbo NZ
April 27th, 2017, 01:19 PM
Very digital sounding still.
For all it's flaws, it's one thing turn 10 try to get right with Forza.

SkylineObsession
April 27th, 2017, 06:42 PM
I don't see how Polyphony are constantly getting it wrong with sounds. It's like they have the actual sound there, but it's been compressed to shit to save space on the disk. Something along those lines is my theory, cos surely to god they can't think that the sounds are realistic given that the audio people likely heard all the cars in real life.

After watching a few more clips i'm starting to think about cancelling my pre-order of GT Sport and maybe get it six months later when half price or cheaper. This is significant, as i've bought every GT game since GT3 i think on day 1 of release, either via pre-order or going in to buy the same day it went on sale.

A comment i read somewhere sums all this up perfectly well; "What have PD been doing since 2013?". Pretty sure other games have been announced and released in that timespan (or close to), i'm not seeing why it's taken so long to make this game so far.

You're losing me Polyphony, catch up with the rest or you'll find no-one (as in 'not as many') buying your games anymore. :smh:

GreatScawt
April 28th, 2017, 11:38 AM
I haven't played this game, but I've been watching a handful of clips on Youtube from the beta. It looks good. And it seems like it still has that "GT atmosphere" which I've always appreciated, obviously.

But one thing that is really irking me: do the controls looks super twitchy? Like oh my god, watching people play this game with a controller makes me want to lose my mind (especially evident in the 3rd person view). A lot of turns end up being a series of straights. Like a super low-resolution circle. A few videos I've seen on the Nurburgring show people taking the mini-carousel inside... then up and over.... then cut back inside... then up and over.

My only comparison at the moment is Forza. I can play that with simulation handling all day and not get that dreadful twitchiness / jerkiness. I don't know if it's a lack of feeling of lateral momentum, or an instant steering speed (1-to-1 with stick)? Or both?

Tom Servo
April 28th, 2017, 12:24 PM
I've noticed that in Forza replays when I didn't notice it while driving. I'm not sure if somehow the effect is dampened when you're in the moment, but I've had races that felt perfectly normal, then I watch a replay and I look like I'm jerking the wheel to lock and then back to center over and over and over around every corner.

Then again, I've always found it difficult to drive with a controller, even since GT1.

Rare White Ape
April 28th, 2017, 10:14 PM
GT to me has always had good controller feel. They seem to spend a lot of time fine tuning the steering rates for different speeds and angles. What you're probably seeing in those videos is people who 'flick steer' with on-off-on-off steering, rather than gradual movements.

GreatScawt
April 29th, 2017, 06:45 AM
I was thinking that. Basically infinite speed steering and not great control with the sticks. I was trying to give them more credit. Seeing that takes me back to D-pad digital steering on PS1 :lol:

GreatScawt
April 30th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Yeah, think it's something with the 3rd person camera that behaves slightly differently than I'm used to. Paired with maybe not the best examples of drivers. I've watched a bunch more from other people and it's super smooth.

This was an enjoyable race
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJABy3qQ-ek

balki
April 30th, 2017, 03:15 PM
The weird part is when you get in a car in GT6 (or was it 5?) the car starts up and idles like the real thing, as in PD did a top-notch job there.

Phil_SS
May 2nd, 2017, 12:33 PM
This was an enjoyable race
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJABy3qQ-ek

That replay reminds me that there really needs to be a new Tokyo Extreme Racer.

Rare White Ape
July 13th, 2017, 02:18 PM
Apparently GT Sport now has a release date of October 17/18 depending on which region you're in.

dodint
July 13th, 2017, 02:33 PM
What year?

Jason
July 13th, 2017, 02:35 PM
That's the 17/18.... could be either one, who knows.

Freude am Fahren
July 13th, 2017, 07:19 PM
:lol:

Rare White Ape
July 13th, 2017, 11:53 PM
That's the 17/18.... could be either one, who knows.

Gregorian calendar or Julian calendar?

Dicknose
July 14th, 2017, 10:35 PM
All too funny!
Actually played a bit of gt5 the last week while holidaying with a mate and his kids. His 8 year old has just started driving properly, braking and keeping it on the black stuff. Previously he was happy only on walled tracks.
I had a couple of goes and made me remember a lot of what I liked about this series.
Think I could be excited by October (this year?)

Tom Servo
July 19th, 2017, 12:20 PM
Just saw that GT Sport is going to support PSVR. That's going to be huge.

dodint
July 19th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Maybe for those that have the setup. I'm not investing $400 to play what is effectively a demo. That's not even considering the cost of the game and PS4.

Rare White Ape
July 19th, 2017, 02:13 PM
There's some fine print to the PSVR support.

Only on a few certain tracks (my guess is those in low detail environments)
And only solo hotlapping.

You can forget about using PSVR in a race or online.

dodint
July 19th, 2017, 02:17 PM
Is PSVR in GT the new Replay mode?

Jason
July 19th, 2017, 03:15 PM
There's some fine print to the PSVR support.

Only on a few certain tracks (my guess is those in low detail environments)
And only solo hotlapping.

You can forget about using PSVR in a race or online.

Jesus. :|

Tom Servo
July 19th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Wow, that's horrible. A racing sim like this is just about the perfect showcase for VR, pcars, iracing, and dirt rally are all amazing on the Rift and completely change the way a racing sim feels. That's a real disappointment.

Freude am Fahren
July 19th, 2017, 04:55 PM
Meanwhile in the PCars2 thread....

Rare White Ape
July 19th, 2017, 06:16 PM
Yeah, but look at how Driveclub handles VR on PS4. It's not like you can add more graphics cards to a PS4 so it's a big visual downgrade.

https://youtu.be/7mHQ58voy_Y

And GT Sport is helmed by the biggest perfectionist in racing game design. To me it's not surprising.

If we were expecting GT6 in VR on PS4 then we'd have a realistic chance

Tom Servo
July 20th, 2017, 06:16 AM
Yeah, it's not surprising. I saw an article saying that it had PSVR support and thought "Wow, it's really impressive that they did that, and it's going to be a game-changer when it comes to VR adoption." Now I know why that announcement itself was surprising when I didn't know the details.

Given the massive amount of horsepower I had to add to my computer to get the Rift running, I'm not at all shocked that a normal PS4 can't power it. Interesting that they are targeting 60 fps on the headset, though. Rift targets a minimum of 90fps to alleviate nausea, but if your hardware can't maintain 90 it'll drop to 45 and do some fancy trickery to guess the interleaving frames to simulate 90fps. That's on the software side, not hardware, so it'll be interesting to see if PSVR can do something similar and maybe improve some of the visuals.

Rare White Ape
July 20th, 2017, 01:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that Sony mandates 60fps for every title. But the screens each display 720p, and with the standard PS4 as a baseline, it'll have a hard time rendering that many pixels if GT is already pushing the hardware to its limit at 1080p. PS4 Pro could do better but you can't make that the baseline and cut out 95% of your user base.

Kchrpm
August 4th, 2017, 05:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpJYtFTt2DY

Rare White Ape
August 15th, 2017, 01:54 AM
A quick tour of the livery editor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dW7uPM3X-k

Window banners :up:
Headlight tints :up:
Number banner styles (or none at all) :up:
So many manufacturer logos :up:

This is my most anticipated feature, and I'm glad they took the best of the Forza feature and added to it.

And best of all they're using sensible camera angles for the wings and side mirrors. Go team GT!

Kchrpm
August 15th, 2017, 03:58 AM
Looks great :up: Mirror horizontally/vertically :up:

Freude am Fahren
August 15th, 2017, 07:10 PM
Lookin' good. Like the Forza one turn up to 11.

I'd love to see a grouping feature, where you block mirroring. So when you create a custom logo, you can mirror the whole side, but it won't flip all the layers within that logo.

Rare White Ape
August 15th, 2017, 10:49 PM
Yeah that would be another great feature. It's easy to allow for it in Forza with a few extra button presses, but it has been an issue since day 1.

novicius
August 16th, 2017, 04:15 AM
Very very sharp! :up: :up:

Rare White Ape
August 22nd, 2017, 02:14 AM
Sony has revealed a limited edition GT branded PS4 Slim. Notably not a PS4 Pro, as that would be worth upgrading to for this game.

http://drdw8nfjvtevv.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/GT-Sport-Box.jpg

Rare White Ape
August 23rd, 2017, 03:24 AM
Looking flash! The night time lighting effects look extremely convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcNjarLGcoA

Yw-slayer
August 23rd, 2017, 06:09 AM
That nighttime lighting is unreal. But where's my BRZ GT300?

dodint
August 23rd, 2017, 06:31 AM
Without clicking the vid I'll assume we're back to fawning over replay visuals?

Tom Servo
August 23rd, 2017, 08:04 AM
We are, but they are probably the best I've seen so far.

dodint
August 23rd, 2017, 10:06 AM
Sony has revealed a limited edition GT branded PS4 Slim. Notably not a PS4 Pro, as that would be worth upgrading to for this game.

http://drdw8nfjvtevv.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/GT-Sport-Box.jpg

This is a Europe and Asia SKU.

CudaMan
August 23rd, 2017, 11:09 AM
I also noticed the way the cars seem to move on their suspension seems more real than any GT before. Looks very real, and sounds are a huge improvement as well (can confirm the Audi R8 V10 noise is just like that from the outside). The weird thing about that video is the squealing tire sounds. Race slicks don't really sound like that, and they're definitely not that loud relative to the engine noise.

Tom Servo
August 23rd, 2017, 11:18 AM
Except for right when F1 went to the smaller turbocharged engines a few years ago. They were so much quieter than before, you could easily hear the tires squealing over the motors when I was at COTA. It was really kinda weird.

CudaMan
August 23rd, 2017, 02:43 PM
Did you hear them squealing around every corner, or just when the driver had a slide or a lockup under braking? I only hear the latter on TV coverage of F1.

XHawkeye
August 23rd, 2017, 04:07 PM
That is good.

Two things I noticed.

1) slow cars using their right blinker to indicate the R8 could pass on the left.

2) and the trailing car lighting up the interior of 'your' car.

Tom Servo
August 23rd, 2017, 04:57 PM
I think that year I was at 11a and heard it often, but I couldn't say whether I heard it from every car.

Speaking of, don't sit at 11a, it sucks.

Kchrpm
August 23rd, 2017, 05:07 PM
I enjoyed sitting between 15 and 16, the stadium section. You can see them coming down the straight, through the twisty bits, and then out towards the long right hander.

Freude am Fahren
August 23rd, 2017, 06:30 PM
The only race cars I can remember hearing the tires constantly over the engines were the Audi R10s (and maybe R15)

Freude am Fahren
August 23rd, 2017, 06:31 PM
1) slow cars using their right blinker to indicate the R8 could pass on the left.

Very unrealistic. It was a BMW.

SkylineObsession
August 25th, 2017, 12:17 AM
On the second page of every BMW's owners manual it says in red (maroonish) ink that indicator use will reduce the value of the car over time, because it puts wear and tear through the cables in the loom and on the indicator bulbs ($700 each for a mid 90's beemer, and they are the cheapest out of all the BMW cars ever made) and the indicator housing (will get light damage and can turn brittle from the constant on/offing of the lights), plus the stalk/buttons or whatever that active the indication system will eventually wear out/start underperforming.
Says to use them at your own risk, as none of it is covered under any warranty. BMW is the only manufacturer to specifically state all this in writing, even going so far as leaving a leaflet saying the same thing, hanging off the stalk in brand new models since 2008.

So that's why not many BMW drivers use indicators, even here in NZ!

But anyway.

Without clicking the vid I'll assume we're back to fawning over replay visuals?
GT is about the only game series i've - infact it pretty much is the only game series - intentionally done a race with a certain car/against certain AI cars and/or on certain tracks with the sole intention of watching the replay of later on. For real. Ever since the first GT they've somehow managed to get the perfect replay camera views/angles so as it makes you feel like you're watching an actual race, or at least you are impressed by the visuals/realism.

Car detail/accuracy, replays and maybe a couple of other things are where GT has always excelled at and where personally i've never seen or played another car game that has better detail/replays (obviously the games out on current consoles/PCs look better, but only because there hasn't been a PS4 GT yet). Car sounds, handling etc they don't always/too often get right, sometimes it gets better but then the next game sometimes takes a backwards step again.

Jason
August 25th, 2017, 03:22 AM
I might buy GT Sport just to watch replays. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dodint
August 25th, 2017, 06:36 AM
Yeah, but IIRC, you people also thought B-spec was a good thing. You bought a game so it could play with itself and you could ffwd to watch the good parts later. I don't begrudge you and am glad you're having fun, but from my perspective and how I enjoy the game that's just an absurd use. A fantastic feature for any GT game, to me, would be able to set the game to not auto-play the replay so I can have one less screen to have to load to get to the next competition.

Treating a novelty as the central focus of the game is just intensely strange to me. It would be like buying Rocket League and only watching people play Hoops. :lol:

Tom Servo
August 25th, 2017, 12:28 PM
FWIW, I know people who buy Madden games and almost never actually play them, they just watch the AI play itself. Not a lot of people, mind you, but they do exist.

dodint
August 25th, 2017, 12:43 PM
I suppose this dovetails into the rise of e-sports. I'm guilty of watching people race in Forza and iRacing, and the occasional Rocket League match. But I'm doing it because I'm interested in the competitive aspect of it, not for the aesthetics. Those are there almost by coincidence.

CudaMan
August 25th, 2017, 02:07 PM
I can't lump replays and B-spec together. I enjoy one and not the other. For me, the awesome replays were one of the unique things about GT1 that really wowed and hooked me. GT still does them extremely well, and the level of detail/scrumptiousness in GTSport is amazing.

SkylineObsession
August 25th, 2017, 07:48 PM
Gran Dorifto!

I only used B-Spec for races i couldn't pass, or didn't want to/couldn't do (couple of the 24h ones - at least until they bought in the patch where you could save the game halfway through). It did feel like cheating, and i enjoyed most of the races so didn't use it/love it as much as others.

2ndMoparMan
August 26th, 2017, 07:31 PM
Oh, how I'd love to see another Gran Dorifto....

CudaMan
August 26th, 2017, 08:39 PM
There was a sequel... IIRC I even had a 3rd installment in the works at one point, with some pretty cool new stuff (360 entries for example). I don't remember why I fizzled out on that.

SkylineObsession
August 26th, 2017, 09:01 PM
Dayum, thanks Google. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDgWANmIiZQ

XHawkeye
August 27th, 2017, 06:34 PM
:rawk:

2ndMoparMan
August 30th, 2017, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I remember Gran Dorifto 2 as well. Both were pretty cool.

dodint
September 7th, 2017, 11:45 AM
GT:S has been approved for manufacture/production.

balki
September 9th, 2017, 06:52 PM
"Gran Turismo at 4x HD Resolution, 240 Frames Per Second"
So, there's 177 cars in GT:S, it feels like it's going down the path of GT5P, where the full version of GT5 came out 2.5 years later
Are we to expect GT7 in 2020?

btw, that first quote is from 2008 for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
I'm expecting to find out (in 20 years) that most of the time and budget on the GT series has gone to modelling cars in such detail that it's only visible in photo mode (even then the hardware can't display half the detail that is programmed in)

At least it can't get delayed any further at this point, and it looks good

dodint
October 2nd, 2017, 08:00 AM
This is going to be so meta.

I cross posted my Forza 7 refund post to my other board as there are a handful of sim racers over there, and some casual gamers too. I've mentioned that I have a friend there that works for SCEA and has been playing the game for a while now. He posted this in response to my FM7 rant, which included complaints about the tier system and stringent in-game economy and loot crates:

Having read [your post]..... you are probably going to have a lot to say about GT:S.

So that's . . . ominous.

balki
October 2nd, 2017, 11:26 AM
I'm all for a cash grab if it means some sort of a GT being released every year

dodint
October 2nd, 2017, 11:29 AM
I took it to mean that the progression that's so heavy handedly forced in FM7 is coming to GT:S.

I know it's from a pre-DLC world, but I liked the old way of being given a small amount of CR, having to make a wise purchase choice (MIATA) and then flogging the car through as many lower series as I can before I buy another.
Or, the complete opposite model (Project Cars/iRacing) where everything is available as soon as you're done watching the intro video. Anything in between is a real pain.

Rare White Ape
October 2nd, 2017, 01:26 PM
Yeah I liked the old way in the early GT games in having to pick your first car, (I picked a Demio in GT2!) then going on a journey with it through the Sunday Cup and turning it into a poorly balanced BEAST of epic proportions that wheel spins everywhere while smashing the AI, before moving onto something slightly faster, like a Silvia or a WRX Wagon.

Those were the days.

The early grind in GT3 was fucked though. My MX-5 was with me for a week because the payouts were so low. I ended up having to use it in an endurance race against other MX-5s in order to win proper cash, and immediately bought the GT500 Pennzoil Nissan GT-R.

SkylineObsession
October 2nd, 2017, 08:31 PM
I suspect there will be a number of complaints about GT Sport, maybe not as much as Forza 7, but pretty close. And i strongly suspect that it'll be 'GT for everybody' again, with the hardcore among us left with nothing much to challenge us (in terms of race length, etc).

And if there are AI cars, i reckon the annoyingly fake rubberbanding will be back too, in every single event. I know it's to keep racing close, but how often is racing tightly packed for ten plus laps in real life? Aside from RallyX etc.

GT3 and GT2 were the best GT's if we're talking rubberbanding, as in GT2's Event Generator it created one to five races based solely on the car you were in and how powerful it is. And in the race itself there was no rubberbanding, so you could really see the performance difference in cars, even if all completely standard.
And in GT3's Polyphony Digital Cup series, aside from every race being an awesome 30-50 mins long (got WAY dumbed down in future games, down to ten mins or less), again the AI didn't use rubberbanding. Which made for some fvcking awesome racing if you intentionally chose a car that you knew was disadvantaged in some way and still managed to beat, or even podium finish some or all of the races. That was one of the few series in any videogame that i really didn't mind not winning the race, because the race itself was so damned fun and i felt i'd worked for my place.

Rubberbanding essentially makes the racing arcade like, because it is most certainly not realistic. It's about time we got the option to turn that off, or go back to certain events that don't use it. So we can start having fun in single player racing again.

All i find myself doing in racing games these days, is turning the difficulty way down, so that i easily win every race. It's like there is 'no place like first place' for me anymore, and i'm not enjoying the racing as much as i used to. Rubberbanding actually really pisses me off, as i'm way up in the front of a race, and with or without making a mistake suddenly some of the AI cars have caught up to me.

Then in online racing if you don't race with a good bunch of people, you risk getting rammed off the track by everyone. Or you are so paranoid about hitting someone (this is me i'm describing) that you purposefully let everyone pass you before the first corner on the first lap, and then try get a placing in the race by passing slower drivers/spun out drivers when the crowd has dispersed. I do this a lot in Forza Motorsport online.

I'm just hoping GT Sport is worth (in the long run) the $109 i'm paying for it and that as usual the good outweighs the bad. PS Store said 15 days to go last night.

EDIT:
My rant of the event, at how it was ruined in later GT games: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/polyphony-digital-cup.148881/

Race writeup from one of my many playthrough's of GT3's PD Cup: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/polyphony-digital-cup-in-a-zz-s.32807/

And another race: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/when-godzilla-is-hungry.41573/

Thought i had a whole page for it on the GTSC, but can't find it anywhere.
So here's this instead. ;) :D
http://www.gtseriescenter.com/EXTRAgranturismomovie.htm

balki
October 3rd, 2017, 08:42 AM
A little customization would help.
GT2 h had terrible rubberbanding, but if you say the event generator was good than it must be easy to add that option.
Overall difficulty mode would be nice. Just default to easy (drivers side on, ton of credits, optional licence tests, slow AI...) then have a medium and hard (and extreme for those that want 24hr rather than 24 minutes of LeMans)

Rare White Ape
October 3rd, 2017, 12:58 PM
GT Sport demo incoming!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-03-gran-turismo-sport-is-getting-a-free-demo-next-week

dodint
October 3rd, 2017, 06:36 PM
A demo for a demo, novel idea.

Rare White Ape
October 4th, 2017, 12:43 AM
Haha, yeah.

Well see how demo-y it is by the end of the month.

GreatScawt
October 4th, 2017, 06:33 AM
Even though I don't own a PS4 - and I'm not particular interested in owning one or this game - I can't wait until this releases because I'd love to see final gameplay. For some reason (maybe... the history and name of the site?), this game fascinates the crap out of me and I just really want to see it in action.

Rare White Ape
October 6th, 2017, 09:05 PM
The demo is available for pre-download now. You’ll need 43GB.

dodint
October 6th, 2017, 09:09 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-06-gran-turismo-sports-car-list-revealed

Shit car list is shit.

Alfa Romeo 4C Gr.3
Alfa Romeo 4C Gr.4
Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition
Alfa Romeo MiTo 1.4 T Sport
Alfa Romeo 4C Gr.3 Road Car
Alpine Vision Gran Turismo
Alpine Vision Gran Turismo 2017
Alpine Vision Gran Turismo Race Mode
Aston Martin DP-100 Vision Gran Turismo
Aston Martin Vulcan
Aston Martin One-77
Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT
Aston Martin V8 Vantage S
Aston Martin Vantage Gr.4
Audi R18 TDI (Audi Sport Team Jo
Audi R8 LMS (Audi Sport Team WRT)
Audi Sport quattro S1 Pikes Peak
Audi TT cup
Audi TTS Coupé
BMW i3
BMW M4 Coupé
BMW M4 Gr.4
BMW M4 Safety Car
BMW M6 GT3 (Walkenhorst Motorsport)
BMW M6 GT3 M Power Livery
BMW Vision Gran Turismo
BMW Z4 GT3
Bugatti Vision Gran Turismo
Bugatti Veyron 16.4
Bugatti Veyron Gr.4
Chevrolet Chaparral 2X Vision Gran Turismo
Chevrolet Camaro SS
Chevrolet Corvette C7 Gr.3
Chevrolet Corvette C7 Gr.4
Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (C7)
Chevrolet Corvette C7 Gr.3 Road Car
Citroën DS3 Racing
Citroën GT Gr.4
Citroën GT Race Car (Gr.3)
Citroën GT Road Car
Daihatsu COPEN RJ Vision Gran Turismo
Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Dodge SRT Tomahawk GTS-R Vision Gran Turismo
Dodge SRT Tomahawk S Vision Gran Turismo
Dodge SRT Tomahawk Vision Gran Turismo (Gr.1)
Dodge SRT Tomahawk X Vision Gran Turismo
Dodge Viper Gr.4
Dodge Viper GTS
Dodge Viper SRT GT3-R
Ferrari 458 Italia
Ferrari 458 Italia Gr.4
Ferrari 458 Italia GT3
Ferrari LaFerrari
Fittipaldi Motors Fittipaldi EF7 Vision Gran Turismo by Pininfarina
Ford Focus Gr.B Rally Car
Ford Focus ST
Ford Mustang Gr.3
Ford Mustang Gr.4
Ford Mustang Gr.B Rally Car
Ford Mustang GT Premium Fastback
Ford Mustang Gr.3 Road Car
Gran Turismo Racing Kart 125 Shifter
Honda Civic Type R (FK2)
Honda Project 2&4 powered by RC213V
Honda Sports Vision Gran Turismo
Honda NSX
Honda NSX Gr.3
Honda NSX Gr.4
Honda NSX Gr.B Rally Car
Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track
Hyundai Genesis Gr.3
Hyundai Genesis Gr.4
Hyundai Genesis Gr.B Rally Car
Hyundai N 2025 Vision Gran Turismo
Infiniti CONCEPT Vision Gran Turismo
Jaguar F-type Gr.3
Jaguar F-type Gr.4
Jaguar F-type R Coupé
Lamborghini Huracán GT3
Lamborghini Huracán Gr.4
Lamborghini Huracán LP 610-4
Lamborghini Veneno
Lexus LC500
Lexus LF-LC GT "Vision Gran Turismo"
Lexus RC F
Lexus RC F Gr.4
Lexus RC F GT3 prototype (Emil Frey Racing)
Mazda Atenza Gr.3
Mazda Atenza Sedan XD L Package
Mazda LM55 Vision Gran Turismo
Mazda Roadster S (ND)
Mazda Atenza Gr.4
Mazda Atenza Gr.3 Road Car
McLaren 650S Coupe
McLaren 650S Gr.4
McLaren 650S GT3
McLaren Ultimate Vision Gran Turismo
McLaren MP4-12C
Mercedes-AMG A 45 4MATIC
Mercedes-AMG GT S
Mercedes-AMG GT Safety Car
Mercedes-AMG GT3 (AMG-Team HTP-Motorsport)
Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision Gran Turismo
Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision Gran Turismo Racing Series
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Gr.4
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3
MINI Clubman Vision Gran Turismo
Mitsubishi Concept XR-PHEV EVOLUTION Vision Gran Turismo
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Final Edition
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Final Edition Gr.3
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Final Edition Gr.4
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Final Edition Gr.B Rally Car
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Final Edition Gr.B Road Car
Nissan GT-R Gr.4
Nissan GT-R Gr.B Rally Car
Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3 N24 Schulze Motorsport
Nissan GT-R Premium edition
Nissan GT-R Safety Car
Nissan CONCEPT 2020 Vision Gran Turismo
Nissan Nissan GT-R LM NISM
Peugeot 208 GTi by Peugeot Sport
Peugeot 908 HDi FAP - Team Peugeot Total
Peugeot L500R HYbrid Vision Gran Turismo, 2017
Peugeot L750R HYbrid Vision Gran Turismo, 2017
Peugeot Vision Gran Turismo
Peugeot Vision Gran Turismo (Gr.3)
Peugeot RCZ Gr.3
Peugeot RCZ Gr.4
Peugeot RCZ Gr.B Rally Car
Peugeot RCZ GT Line
Peugeot RCZ Gr.3 Road Car
Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Porsche 911 RSR (991)
Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport
Porsche Porsche 919 Hybrid (Porsche Team)
Renault Sport Clio R.S. 220 EDC Trophy
Renault Sport Mégane Gr.4
Renault Sport Mégane R.S. Trophy
Renault Sport R.S.01
Renault Sport R.S.01 GT3
Subaru VIZIV GT Vision Gran Turismo
Subaru WRX Gr.3
Subaru WRX Gr.4
Subaru WRX Gr.B Rally Car
Subaru WRX STI Type S
Subaru WRX Gr.B Road Car
Toyota 86 GRMN
Toyota 86 Gr.4
Toyota 86 Gr.B Rally Car
Toyota 86 GT
Toyota FT-1 Vision Gran Turismo
Toyota FT-1 Vision Gran Turismo (Gr.3)
Toyota S-FR
Toyota S-FR Racing Concept
Toyota TS050 - Hybrid (Toyota Gazoo Racing)
Toyota TS030 Hybrid
Volkswagen Golf VII GTI
Volkswagen GTI Roadster Vision Gran Turismo
Volkswagen GTI Supersport Vision Gran Turismo
Volkswagen GTI Vision Gran Turismo (Gr.3)
Volkswagen Scirocco Gr.4
Volkswagen Beetle Gr.3

And only 6 real world tracks. Woof.

Rare White Ape
October 7th, 2017, 02:08 PM
I launched the demo, and while you can’t actually race anything until the servers go live, what you can see looks absolutely insane. I said that Forza 7 in the demo looks truly pretty, but this is a step above that and your eyeballs are in for a treat.

If you let it sit on the main menu you’re presented with a reel of randomised moving glamour shots - think of a car in a location with a camera swooping over it - and photo mode stills, plus the occasional race replay. I can’t be sure if the glamour footage is real time or pre recorded video (and if it is, it’s using some really good compression because the footage is clean and artefact-free) but the replays certainly are real time. Either way, the game looks superb, surpassing my previous best looking game of the generation, Horizon Zero Dawn.

My favourite would have to be the aggressive looking Bugatti Veyron race car displayed next to an in-game clay model of itself. Just superb. You can see why they take so long to make these games.

dodint
October 7th, 2017, 02:14 PM
That sounds precisely how I would anticipate a review of anything GT:S related. "Looks great, didn't drive anything though."

Rare White Ape
October 7th, 2017, 03:27 PM
True. But I definitely intend to play this a lot. It’ll be a great game to play on the couch with a controller, like all GTs have been in the past.

dodint
October 7th, 2017, 06:03 PM
Yeah, wasn't a dig at you. Just at GT as a franchise.

MR2 Fan
October 8th, 2017, 01:26 PM
shit car list....I'm sure there will be DLC soon....just to piss us off further

Godson
October 8th, 2017, 05:29 PM
It's a bit light on skylines

Rare White Ape
October 8th, 2017, 05:38 PM
shit car list....I'm sure there will be DLC soon....just to piss us off further

Well, this game isn’t a ‘full’ numbered GT release, so I think GT7 will be along eventually (who knows, in ten years time on PS5?) and it’ll have 40 tracks and 1200 cars.

This title from the start has been an MP focused title with a light sprinkling of single player stuff, kind of like EA’s first SW Battlefront if two years ago. It’ll have licence tests and challenges, that sort of stuff. It’s important to know this before jumping in.

The only drawback I can see is that it should be charged at half price, rather than full game price.

Rare White Ape
October 8th, 2017, 11:47 PM
Demo up now.

Rare White Ape
October 9th, 2017, 02:54 AM
Right, so I’ve had a real quick dick around with a few things. First of all the game gives you mileage points alongside the usual credits you get for winning races. You get these by completing races, and there are a swathe of achievements (not like Xbox achievements) you can… achieve, such as driving a certain distance or creating a livery etc. The mileage points can then be spent at a mileage exchange, which sells customisation things like new stickers (more on those soon) and helmets, wheels, colours, even whole cars that you can’t buy in the showroom. I mention this first up because this is the sort of shitty thing that they’ll eventually turn into a microtransactions-based setup, so keep your eyes on this in the coming weeks.

Next up, the driving. Yep, feels just like Gran Turismo. I raced wil all assists off except ABS. The cars feel eerily communicative and easy to fang around with a controller. I haven’t played a GT game for about two years, but I felt at home within a few laps. I mostly raced a Mercedes-AMG GT3 for the heck of it (no patience for slow cars at the moment - haha!) and once I got used to the slower steering feel compared to Forza and Assetto and PCars I was racing like a true gamer boi.

Starting on the bad side, this is very much not a sim. I can punt cars and still make corners. I can ram walls by accident and still make corners. I can jam the brakes way too late and steer it right into the apex (thanks ABS) while passing forty cars in the braking zone. Basically, anything even slightly ham-fisted that will see you punished in a proper sim can be handily gotten-away with here in GT Sport. The game defaults to racing hard slicks and it feels like you’re floating around a bit, but why not just chuck on a set of super soft slicks and make it feel like a go-kart eh? lolololol And the rally driving is not even the steam off Dirt Rally’s piss. The track is really wide like Classic GT dirt courses are, so it’s more like rally cross, but floaty as hell. I think they’ve gone backwards with this compared to GT4 and 5.

On the ok side, the AI is pretty quick until you get the hang of where the track goes and what your car can do. You can trust them to not bump into you like they do in Forza, but I got punted out of first place on three separate occasions on the last lap while up against the hardest AI, so I still haven’t won a race except when I pick medium AI. To help with close racing a part of the screen will go dark, to give off the feeling of a car being close by. It’s weird, but I like it.

On the good side, it runs at a solid 60fps with no stutters or tearing in full 1080p, so the feeling of speed is absolutely fantastic. It’s like a great mid-90s arcade game except you have to hit the brakes. The Dragon’s Tail circuit reminds me of Apricot Hill back when I was still learning that track; lots of crests and quick chicanes joined together by hyyyyyuuuuuge sweepers. So much fun! Plus while we all complain about the sewing machine sound effects, no other racing game has ever included such a rich tapestry of pops and machine gun sounds from the exhaust when you let off the throttle. It has been sorely missing in the past, and of you don’t believe they really sound like this, go watch a modern V10 formula one car. It’ll sound like Chinese New Year when it enters a corner, as do most non-turbocharged racing cars. Another fun race is the 1/2-mile oval against GT3 class cars. If you’ve ever raced on the Baby Park in Mario Kart, you’ll know what I mean. But, got punted out of first on the last lap… :(

Aside from the racing, the livery editor looks like it has a lot of potential. From my quick 10 minute look, it appears they’ve given us everything we get in Forza, but with a few really neat enhancements such as per-layer texturing, camera or surface based projection, different lighting environments so you don’t have to go to a track to see what it looks like out in the sun, and many more. I mentioned stickers before, and now there’s a huge library of manufacturer logos to choose from, so no more trying to make custom logos (except for Xbox ones, of course). They’ll even supply brand logos in different colours to suit different colour schemes as well. Very nice. I’ll be spending a lot of time there, I imagine.

So far I’m liking it, but to do so I’ve had to understand it’s caveats, of which there are many. It still has all the same old GT foibles, but can get away with many of them thanks to the rock solid presentation and satisfying driving mechanics. Do you remember the first time you nailed the first few roller coaster corners heading into the tunnel at Trial Mountain? This game might give you that feeling again.

Rare White Ape
October 9th, 2017, 03:02 AM
A picture! I really quickly knocked up this livery on a Jag. Classy black. Note the window banner, which you can add in black or white.

http://scontent.fbne3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22338767_10155562356430792_5528017717669485632_o.j pg?oh=dea6219bfe4938d44f7e9d1af4516e28&oe=5A3EFAC2&dl=1

And a video! Just, erm, ignore the first lap of the race. I restarted and got up to first place, then you’ll see what I mean about go-kart racing when I passed the Bryans and clumsy last-lap AI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjLfHqFo7-A

2ndMoparMan
October 9th, 2017, 11:36 AM
Just saw an advert for this on Twitch. Not sure, but I think I saw our favorite driver in said ad.

CudaMan
October 9th, 2017, 01:40 PM
*Eagerly awaiting 6pm PST* :up:

There was one thing in the build I played last year that really impressed me. Hoping that feeling made it to the final game. Have to wait until I get a PS4-compatible wheel to find that out, though.

CudaMan
October 10th, 2017, 12:07 AM
I spent a few hours more than I expected tonight, just playing around seeing all the cool things you can do (mostly outside of the car although rallying with the DualShock Air Steering was kinda fun once I stopped crashing so often). Livery editor (I suck :p), photomode, scapes, sharing within GT:S, car demos, etc. Having a good look around at all the things you can do.

It's sooooo beautiful. :eek:

Sounds are way better. Have to dig in more to the driving aspect of the game but my rally Hyundai in replays was spine tingling when the car got close to the camera. I'm sure a good HI-FI ;) helps (with volume turned up). Even the menu/racing music is improved over any previous GT.

Wonder what it'd be like on a 4K HDR TV and PS4 Pro.

Anyway, I shared some Photomode and Scapes experiments within GT Sport's social sharing network. Haven't figured out how to post content here yet; I'm sure I will. It looks like PS4 has a different friends list from PS3 'cause I'm down a lot of friends from the GT6 days. Add me back on PS4 if ya haven't: GTXf_CudaMan

One weird thing: I couldn't figure out how to exit the game. The manual save never worked, so here's hoping auto save did the job and simply putting the PS4 in rest mode was the right thing to do.

dodint
October 10th, 2017, 04:07 AM
I saw you pop online so at least some of the PS3 crowd is still intact.

Rare White Ape
October 10th, 2017, 04:35 AM
Been playing around with the livery editor some more. I won the Huracan GT3 by completing the driving challenges - a 30 lap race!

The trickiest part for me is getting used to the different camera controls and editing functions that are a little bit different to what Forza does. You have to hold R1 to move the camera, otherwise you'll end up changing the shape of your layer, and there is no fine step controls of anything - if you accidentally rotate (with L2/R2) when you want to zoom (hold R1+L2/R2) there will be no way for you to get back to the angle you wanted as there's no degree control as far as I can tell, so be careful! I haven't had much of a go using basic shapes yet, but I do know the functions there are different, too. Another learning curve...

There are many plusses this time, as you can finally get up really close and personal with the car models in a GT game. The stock Pirelli slicks on the Lambo even include a bump mapped Pirelli logo on the sidewall.

http://scontent.fbne3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22426500_10155565165975792_6901123111668737199_o.j pg?oh=1b7354cb3ae70ad67de16db8f3e4079f&oe=5A7C379E

But don't like Pirellis? No problem! Just pick a different brand.

http://scontent.fbne3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22383943_10155565166415792_7787058599727000136_o.j pg?oh=c447812820eb802e2b33410379f5a1c5&oe=5A43957E

Here's a look at some of the racing items you can add. Black or white window banners, a selection of different racing number styles, and you can even chuck your PSN ID on the roof with a flag. I wonder if certain cars will place them over the rear window.

http://scontent.fbne3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22291149_10155565166715792_7648583603862827903_o.j pg?oh=6754102cef278775c358c5d1e1295582&oe=5A872425

One of the major bugbears with these livery editors is the way they project images onto the body of the car. If you have a curvy body shape, such as a Porsche, or your mom, any logos will stretch horribly at the extreme angles where the body wraps around. I briefly mentioned the different projection styles yesterday, which largely fixes that problem, but there is one more issue which pops up a lot for me, and that's where a body panel might overlap another surface behind and you end up with it projecting through to the supposedly hidden area. It rears it's ugly head here.

http://scontent.fbne3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22291408_10155565167240792_9217840354969207869_o.j pg?oh=cffa97048306c038c01859733dba6db9&oe=5A83F33D

But GT has a solution, yes indeedy. Pull up a handy menu to limit where a sticker shows. You can limit angle and depth. Beaut!

http://scontent.fbne3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22382178_10155565167725792_3206565617128332283_o.j pg?oh=0af1ff51329bf4fd7440304615b641a9&oe=5A7BFF6D

Other things:

Mirroring is super simple. Just tell it to mirror on the reverse side. It'll work left-to-right, and it'll even work side-to-side if you have a sticker on the left side of the front bumper that you also want to have on the right, for example.

I briefly saw some pop-up tool tip that mentioned uploading SVG files, so I hope that it means we can use high quality logos that we totally didn't steal from Google Images for our cars in the full game.

You can click R3 and it will highlight the area you're working with, for instance if you're colouring an area and you don't know where the limit of that area is.

When choosing which part of the body to paint (as in mirrors, wings, wheels, etc) there is an option called 'other', and it's where you can paint odd bits like the little winglets on the front splitter.

And you have to upload a livery after you've saved it if you want to use it on your car. I guess this means it will be faster to download in an online race lobby, but you can't keep it to yourself if you want to play around with an unfinished design before sending it out into the world.

So yeah, what a beautiful beast of a racing car. It doesn't take long to sticker up something that resembles a genuine racing design, even if it is a few logos on a plain white body.

http://scontent.fbne3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22291217_10155565168175792_4602152205825894868_o.j pg?oh=500c2ac3df971275cb2b11a12099533d&oe=5A758765

balki
October 10th, 2017, 06:10 AM
You spent one sentence on a 30-lap race then wrote a whole story on the livery editor, you suck

dodint
October 10th, 2017, 06:22 AM
I wasn't going to say it.

Was totally thinking it though.

Rare White Ape
October 10th, 2017, 06:25 AM
Well wait until you see what I did next:

Boom. An hour later. Chucked on a few flashy looking triangles in the appropriate colours. Got meself a proper looking paint job.

http://scontent.fbne3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22382187_10155565421540792_1356872249634553283_o.j pg?oh=6e4d4d81bf6814930cb7010011e7295b&oe=5A819905

http://scontent.fbne3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22338970_10155565422485792_6160497810529167050_o.j pg?oh=cd36c61a5b3c3c55aa9ca4cf549a9ef2&oe=5A453A2B

http://scontent.fbne3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22338994_10155565423715792_3102352806141861967_o.j pg?oh=935c694982e72c40de36bf15bc83f7a0&oe=5A746605

dodint
October 10th, 2017, 06:32 AM
Why is it snowing inside the bat cave?

Godson
October 10th, 2017, 07:13 AM
Tricolore

Kchrpm
October 10th, 2017, 07:19 AM
That livery editor sounds lovely :up:

balki
October 10th, 2017, 07:50 AM
At least PD was honest with GT1-6 when they said The Real Driving Simulator and gave us shit AI/racing
Do they still bill it as such, or is it GTS: the real automotive porn simulator for all your four-wheeled wank bank needs

CudaMan
October 10th, 2017, 09:53 AM
It's pretty much automotive porn. Driving is one aspect of it, not the only thing. :)

RWA, that Castrol Lambo is killer! How long do you think that took? Probably a lot of it was figuring out how to use the editor. Those stripes add a lot to it.

I created a livery to learn how to use the editor; it's basically just some stickers on a car. Learning to use shapes to create a stripe or something I envision in my head is something I'll have to learn if I'm to do anything cool like that.

Rare White Ape
October 10th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Thanks :) It took me about two hours, but a lot of that was actually trying to decide where to put stuff. I’m nowhere near as advanced as I am with Forza’s editor, because I’m cautious about being too clumsy and accidentally screwing up a layer with its awkward camera controls. But I’ll get there.

At least PD was honest with GT1-6 when they said The Real Driving Simulator and gave us shit AI/racing
Do they still bill it as such, or is it GTS: the real automotive porn simulator for all your four-wheeled wank bank needs

This time it’s the Real Painting Simulator.

And the AI will pass you if you give them an opening. They can be tough! But I think that rubber-banding is in full effect here.

That 30 lap race puts you in the mid-engined Porsche 911 RSR and is a fuel conservation deal, where some cars run it rich and pit three times, while others run lean and pit twice. It’s up to you to figure out a strategy and beat them from 20th out of 30 cars. After more than a few instances of dodgems against some overzealous AI, I pitted again on lap 25 and came out 14 seconds behind the leader.

I had a full tank of juice, super soft tires, and only five laps left, so I put it on the richest engine map and set about tear-arsing around the track like a beautiful maniac to make up time. I made up those 14 seconds in one lap, but burned fully half a tank. Once I was back in first I leaned it back to setting 3 or 4 to cruise to the end, but nek minnit I had four Bryans up my arse ready to pounce. So I did what I’d been doing for the whole race; following the leader, passing it in the same places (fast corners) but being passed by it in the same places (the straights) because it was running a richer fuel map. No matter what tyres I had on, or which fuel map I was using, they would match my lap time lap after lap, and just sit 1-5 tenths of a second in front of me ready to be passed in the exact same corner every time.

On one lap I made a mistake and ran wide into the gravel and lost five seconds. That time would’ve put me five seconds ahead, surely. Nope. I caught up again and the same dance took place.

balki
October 10th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Ugh, I wish you stopped at 30 car fields and fuel & tire strategies, you had me hooked

CudaMan
October 10th, 2017, 01:55 PM
Think online racing and matchmaking based on speed and etiquette. :)

Kchrpm
October 10th, 2017, 05:13 PM
First detailed look/review I've seen of the Thrustmaster T-GT wheel. Seems it's nicer than previous Thrustmaster wheels, but not quite ready for the price bracket it is in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoUjO3lUHHU

Rare White Ape
October 10th, 2017, 06:28 PM
Ahh I see you’ve found my wife’s YouTube channel.

SkylineObsession
October 10th, 2017, 07:26 PM
It's getting REAL fvcking old hearing the same old complaints about GT's AI, to the point where it seems people are just doing it to troll/get a reaction (like this). Yes, it's not the best, but in recent years it had been getting better. And was great part way through GT5 or GT6's lifespan until they released an update that suddenly made them panic if you got too close, and brake to 'avoid' you driving alongside them.

It has/had better AI than some games i had played at the time, but obviously not the best out there. There was an element of spatial awareness that was great about GT5 or GT6 (again, before the update was better) that they i think took a slightly different racing line if you were part/wholly alongside them etc etc which at the time i hadn't really seen in other games i was playing.

As in most car games, the most fun you could have was online anyway.

novicius
October 11th, 2017, 04:09 AM
Hey-hey! Pay ATTENTION: Skyline, get GT:S and start posting some sweet-ass pics!! :angry:;) :D :toast:

Rare White Ape
October 11th, 2017, 05:06 AM
Bryan I figured out how to get raw screenshots out of GT Sport.

You'll need a USB stick, go to My Library, look up your photos, and press triangle; in there you'll find the option to copy to external storage. It'll deposit a full 4K image for you.

Open in new tab for 3840 x 2160.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4448/37375993680_f332ef69de_o.jpg

Up until now I've just been hitting the PS4 share button and uploading to Facebook, then linking it here. We can do this in the year of our Lord 2017, but for some reason the game thinks it's still 2007 so to get the full quality images you have to do it with extra steps like we did in GT4.

JoeW
October 11th, 2017, 08:09 AM
I downloaded the Beta yesterday, looked around for about 30mins and pre-ordered. I have been on PC1 since the beginning and got rid of my PS3 at that time...so I haven't been around a GT game in a couple years. This one is just beautiful...hoping they add more cars/tracks but I could just sit in the livery creator for days on end.

The359
October 11th, 2017, 11:57 AM
My current gripe with the Livery Editor is that if you save your car midway through a project, your recent color selections are not saved. And as there is no color sampler tool, you either have to remember the RGB inputs or guess the next time you work on it.

pl8ster
October 11th, 2017, 04:54 PM
I was all excited and then I saw the car list. Not a single Oldsmobile? What the hell.

Jason
October 11th, 2017, 08:12 PM
Played the demo for a few... Meh.

GT still does replays and certain aspects of presentation really well, but I couldn't get into the feel of the cars, or the audio while racing. Some decent visuals at times though :up:

CudaMan
October 11th, 2017, 09:49 PM
Rallying is surprisingly fun and drive-able using the Sixaxis as an air steering wheel.

Jason, go to the Mission with the Camaro SS. If the audio from that isn't good enough, I'll be surprised. :)

The359
October 12th, 2017, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I had a Toyota 86 that I used for an event, and hearing it start up in the loading screen, that was exactly my car.

Jason
October 12th, 2017, 02:55 AM
Rallying is surprisingly fun and drive-able using the Sixaxis as an air steering wheel.

Jason, go to the Mission with the Camaro SS. If the audio from that isn't good enough, I'll be surprised. :)

Unfortunately I won't be able to get back to it before the demo expires :(

Yw-slayer
October 12th, 2017, 07:04 AM
I couldn't resist that sexy WRX rally car, so I bought the DD Edition.

Rare White Ape
October 12th, 2017, 06:41 PM
I poked my head into Sport mode last night. There were three races available: N500 at some tri-oval, Gr4 at Nurburgring GP, and Gr3 at Suzuka.

I tried Gr4 first, I’d qualified third in an NSX, a sweet handling car. The Cayman I’d tried earlier was a bit of a tricky pig by comparison - plenty of grip in faster corners but would inexplicably wig-out in tight ones. And I was pleasantly surprised by how behaved the racing in my vicinity was. I now see the benefit of a rolling start with well spaced cars, because it reduces the amount of bargy into the first corner. In SP I prefer tight grids but in MP it’s ok. And any cars that do end up overshooting will just ghost out and fly off into the gravel. I stayed cautious at first and ended up dropping off the leaders, but held third and podiumed for my debut race.

After that I tossed-up whether to take my good experience and retire for the night, or go check out the tryhard mode Gr3 race. It didn’t go quite as well for me. I started in 14th down with the crazies, and spent my first lap being bumped around until they all ran off at the hairpin. I was still in 14th and the Merc-AMG ahead of me stuffed up 130R so I passed him around the outside (which was pretty exciting) and took my line for the chicane with the Merc close to my tail.

Then got rammed from behind.

Lap 2, I was catching the Merc again, lined myself up for the chicane again, made it nicely down into the first apex, and…

Hit from behind again.

The dumb fucker behind me stole 14th and I came 15th after an uneventful last lap.

But hey, that’s what you get when you race with randoms. I’m impressed with the matchmaking though. Only one of the three races is available at any time, so it keeps all the players funnelled into the same event. That keeps the fields deep and the opponents plentiful.

GreatScawt
October 13th, 2017, 10:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDkWwX3Id98

CudaMan
October 15th, 2017, 11:34 AM
I've been really enjoying the demo. :cool: Even driving with the controller has been fun for the most part (when I don't have a moment of forgetting what input I'm supposed to make to get the car to do something :lol:).

Sound: It's much improved. Bassy engine notes are finally deep as they should be. The series has always had a style of not exaggerating sounds which would make them seem more exciting particularly on regular TV speakers or the like. That lack of exaggeration is still there but there's so much more detail, range, and depth now, that on a good quality amp/speaker setup it's spine tingling at times. Can confirm the Audi V10 GT3 sound, for example, is dead nuts accurate. One additional note, since GT games don't have this "loudness contour" built in to the sound or music, if you turn up a quality system a little louder than you might otherwise, the sound comes to life more. I'm really impressed. When I won the Gr.4 Veyron as a prize and switched to using that car, the startup and rev sound played. I had the volume up. Oh. My. Gawd. :eek: My mouth was literally agape for 30 seconds.

The livery editor is a very welcome addition to the series. This kind of thing isn't something I've done a lot of in other games (mostly iRacing and rFactor) but having that ability is great, and the livery editor has some neat features and isn't that difficult to use. I'm assuming a custom livery can be used in an online race and seen by your competitors? If so that can add a lot to the experience of one of the primary aspects of GT Sport: online competition.

My first play around with the editor was just putting some decals on a car mainly.

http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/image/166400399/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/image/166400400/original.jpg

When I took pictures of it in Photomode, I realized having a dark green rally car probably wasn't an awesome idea. A couple days later I changed it up, started playing around with shape layers to create graphics, and learned about the projection angle and depth of a layer. Very useful inclusion.

http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/image/166400398/original.jpg

I had a particular idea for painting one of my NSXs, then realized you can't apply your own color to a logo. Well, I imagine you can if you create your own SVG files in the color(s) you want. But there's no easy way in-game.

Scapes are pretty impressive and more plentiful than I expected. The downside is you can't move around much to change the composition. I don't know why but I expected it to be a more 3D world with more freedom in camera placement.

A couple Scapes experiments:

http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/image/166400395/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/image/166400397/original.jpg

Rallying in general is by far the most fun it has been in the series. I've not done any rallying for real but from what my instincts tell me the physics are worlds better than they've been before. Using the controller in air-steering mode allows for rapid lock-to-lock movements for quick corrections if need be. Rally was never a big appeal to me in previous GT titles. Now it's a fun new challenge.

http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/image/166400401/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/image/166400402/original.jpg

Overall GT Sport is lots of fun, and I'm really looking forward to getting a wheel and rig and getting online next week. :rawk:

[I'm not being paid or perked for anything btw - I did the ad stuff for free.]