PDA

View Full Version : How do we not have a Windows phone thread yet? Oh, yeah, because only like two people have them.

thesameguy
November 20th, 2015, 09:55 PM
Lumia 950, hour six.

I picked up my 950 on the way home from San Jose today. Initial reactions are a bit mixed. I really loved the weight and feel of the 920, and the 950 does not mimic it in any way. It's much lighter, way more plasticky. On the upside (meh, maybe), a big part of the reason is that the back is removable and so is the battery. It's essentially unremarkable, really, which I don't mind one bit. I don't like flashy electronics.

I've been using "Insider" Windows 10 on my 920 for a while, so the 950 experience doesn't feel special. I will say the little polish added between RCs and production are nice - things that seemed a little ragged (mail setup comes to mind) are back to the WP8 level of excellence. Everything is fast, easy to read, and laid out in a sensible way. The backup/restore process was painless and much faster than the iTunes process... WP does not image the flash, it just backs up settings so there is a ton of data that doesn't need to get sent around. Made moving phones quite nice.

I haven't played with it much... I mean, I don't play with phones much. I've sent a ton of emails and done some web surfing, but that's it so far. I'm probably not a good candidate to espouse the virtues of a new product. :lol: But, I like what 10 promises when supported by not three year old hardware, and I am looking forward to the new camera.

TL;DR: Is the 950 going to change my life? No. Am I happy I went for it? Very.

thesameguy
November 20th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Although historically opposed to cell phone accessories, I might go for one of these:

http://www.windowscentral.com/pre-orders-mozos-lumia-950-and-lumia-950-xl-cases-go-live

Yw-slayer
November 20th, 2015, 11:58 PM
Keep it up. I think I can probably live without most of the Android apps. The big question is Google Maps, but I think you can use that from within Edge, right? As for Chrome, just transfer all the info across I guess.

And those leather rear covers look effing sick. As in, far better than the LG ones.

Yw-slayer
November 21st, 2015, 04:28 AM
That Verge "review" is typically laughable tech blogger BS. Why does it slag off the camera when Ars (amongst others) says it's great?

Kchrpm
November 21st, 2015, 07:35 AM
Verge thinks all cameras aside from iPhones are terrible. Part of the reason is that iPhones are typically best at just leaving everything in automatic and getting a good image, vs a lot of cameras that needed some amount of settings adjustment to great pictures.

thesameguy
November 21st, 2015, 08:51 AM
I was very happy with the camera on the 920, it's every bit as good as my gf's 5S was. Her 6 is probably better, but it's also three years newer. I haven't take a single shot with the new one, but every reference to the old PureView camera was positive, so I see no reason this one wouldn't be good as well. Unfortunately, I am a shitty photographer - I don't think any technology can save me.

I have used Google Maps in Edge and it's ok. Just OK. It is nowhere near as useful or easy to use as the iPhone/Android app. I would not attempt to use it while driving. I can't speak for elsewhere, but domestically Bing Maps has never let me down and I use it frequently. It may not be as good overseas. I do notice that Here Maps (Nokia's product) is not included on the new Lumia - I never used it, so no big loss. I have read that Here is *the shit* overseas, and it's just the US product that sucks so there may be something there.

The only apps I have installed on my phone are for my two banks, Domino's pizza, Fandango, and Amazon. Whoops, and Uber. I use Uber frequently, the others I almost never use. I did notice while running updates last night that Netflix is now native, so that's positive. Maybe the Windows 10 core will ease app development. And, there is the Android binary compatibility to look at.

I have noticed that the iris detection is not present on this phone. The printed instructions call it out, but it's not physically there. Weird. Also, while uninstalling all the bullshit AT&T stuff I noticed that there is a wide-open Developer control panel entry where you can readily enable side-loading... Nice to see that shift towards Android and away from iOS. :up:

thesameguy
November 25th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Still have not taken a single solitary picture.

But battery life is superb. Admittedly, my old 920 was suffering a bit and the battery would only last about 12-14 hours versus the solid 20 hours I used to get, but the 950 had been at 76%-80% at the 12 hour mark reliably given totally normal (for me) usage. I am not sure how that translates to people streaming Netflix 24x7 or sending a couple texts a day, but my usage pattern hasn't changed and I've won mountains of battery. :up:

The "j mouse" is fanfuckingtastic even if it's not on the J - I don't like typos in emails even if they are sent from a smartphone, and the pointer makes editing so much easier. A+ on that.

It appears some things in the Windows 10 Insider build on my 920 weren't working or just weren't included, as the Outlook client does some neat stuff with swipes and gestures that I could not previously do. My only annoyance here is that you can't reassign gestures - you can swipe to delete, but I never delete emails. I would much rather be able to swipe to reply - that would save me time. I hope that type of customization is forthcoming. I should probably tell someone who can do something about it.

I was initially opposed to the soft navigations buttons at the bottom but have come to like them. It's clearly a cost-saving measure, but it doesn't hurt me like I thought it was going to, so whatevers.

Adding Windows 10 search to the apps list and control panels is brilliant, praise baby Jesus they did that.

And, finally, although I'm still miffed about the apparent quality of the materials, the form factor is to my hand perfection. Just right amount of round and square. It is literally the perfect phone in my hand.

At some point in the near future I am going to look into the USB C dock or something - I am very eager to try that out. The Atrix used to appeal to me on that level, but it never quite worked out. Native Office changes the deal significantly!

thesameguy
November 26th, 2015, 03:11 PM
27 hours, 20% remaining. :up: Eight hours of that was spent idle, but connected to bluetooth nonstop. Rad.

Yw-slayer
November 26th, 2015, 03:22 PM
That's cool. Decided to stick with my Oneplus One for now. I can always get another phone later next year.

thesameguy
November 26th, 2015, 04:54 PM
I am still eyeballing that device to replace my personal cell. Since us Muricans don't get dual-SIM phones as, like, a matter of law or something I have two phones. The Windows device is perfect for work as the email client is superior, but I'm currently using a 5S for my personal... we use a lot of iPhones at work and I like keeping in touch with what the lusers are doing. But, I've just about had enough the complete bullshit that is iPhone, and after you turned me onto the Oneplus I keep thinking about acquiring one. The way things are, I think I would be out of pocket only a few bucks by selling the 5S!

Yw-slayer
November 27th, 2015, 06:01 AM
The thing is that the One is a very good phone overall. It has everything I need and is relatively stable and fast, which it shoudl be as it's over a year old and the software is quite mature. There are some things that would be NICE to have, such as a fingerprint sensor, but otherwise it's more than good enough.

That said, there are 2 major caveats:

1. It becomes a laggy POS IF YOU FILL UP MOST OF THE FLASH MEMORY (say leaving only 2-3GB) WITH TIDAL SONGS. I deleted all my Tidal songs and it was fine. This may apply if it you fill it up with other shit, but I haven't tested that out yet.

2. The QC is a bit iffy. My first phone was fine, but my second one sometimes randomly drops signal/all wireless connections for no reason whatsoever, and then has to reacquire them. It's OK as it happens occasionally, but it's not ideal. Then again, it's half the price of something like an S5, so whatever.

Yw-slayer
November 28th, 2015, 01:00 AM
I picked up my wife's 950XL. I wasn't too impressed with the back, but everything else about it seems pretty hardcore. The camera seems more accurate than that of the 6P (which I also tried in-store), although the 6P seemed to focus slightly faster. I do like the dedicated camera button.

thesameguy
November 28th, 2015, 09:49 AM
The back really is bad, isn't it? I a not surr who approved that but I totally see how it could kill a sale.

I also like the dedicated camera button - I used it on my 920 90% of the time so I was happy to see it continued in the new phones. I have taken a few pics of stuff (like model numbers and VINs - too lazy to write) and thsle focus+snap is stunningly fast. The first few pics I took I took two because I didn't realize it had taken the first. I do not like they did away with the swipe review and now you have to hit the thumbnail, but it's a very minor nit.

Yw-slayer
December 12th, 2015, 06:27 AM
It is, yeah. But we might get the leather back, particularly as the 950 is now out here (but at only around 12% cheaper? WTF?) and she might swap to that as she prefers smaller phones.

If she does, I can certainly think of worse things to do than to take over a 950XL. Yes, the focus and snap is pretty hardcore, as is the quality. I hit the thumbnail to review my pics on my Oneplus anyway, so I'm not too fussed. I'm sure I could use it for at least half a year or so and swap back to a next-gen Android phone with a Snapdragon 820 if I really can't stand using W10 Mobile.

thesameguy
December 12th, 2015, 10:08 AM
My phone has been enjoying some weird behavior in the past couple weeks - it spontaneously reboots itself about twice a week. Well. maybe more, but I've noticed it twice a week because it happens about 5:30 each time, while I'm driving home. Also, I've been unable to properly wake it from sleep a couple times - eventually after repeatedly pushing random buttons it wakes up, but not with one press of the power button. Not sure what that's about. The final oddity I've experienced is weird screen refreshes - usually in a web browser but sometimes in Outlook as well. The symptom in Edge is text jumbled on top of itself - I initially attributed that to bad web pages, but it's also happened in Outlook... which is weird.

I am pretty tolerant of teething problems, and I recognize that 10 is still a baby so it's ok with. Not worth getting upset about. It's still superb to use, and every time I find a little thoughtful detail I smile. I spent a little time in the feedback app the other day and was impressed - it's really cool having a widget that lets you find other peoples' suggestions and discuss/support them. I tagged onto a suggestion to let the swipe actions in Outlook be reassignable - if I could me left-swipe reply instead of delete I would be ecstatic!

Yw-slayer
December 12th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Yes, her XL also has similar rebooting/power problems. Then again, every phone I've ever had (apart from the original Motorola Milestone) has had similar power issues from time to time. That includes my ipad and feedback from others about their vaunted iOS devices.

thesameguy
December 22nd, 2015, 10:07 AM
Had an opportunity to use the video on the Lumia last night... Recording 1080/60p was great - even after an hour and 10gb of video it had barely dented the battery. Yay for hardware acceleration!

The camera is much improved over the 920 and even the 1020 - it handles weird light and low light much, much better. In fact, incredibly. Right next to an iPhone 6S the superior light sensitivity was stunning. Unfortunately, it still effing SUCKS with red light though, and that was kind of a drag. The iPhone continued with poor brightness but sharp focus, whereas the Lumia maintained a good brightness level but totally lost focus. :down: Also - and this could be related to the red light issue - it was having a hard time staying in focus, with random, dramatic focus events.

I'll try and post some of the video for review tonight. Unfortunately USB-C cables are still kinda scarce. :)

Related to that, I was *sure* there was a way to do some sort of AirPlay-esque shit with Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 or xbone but I guess there isn't. That functionality was previously handled by Nokia's shitty PlayTo DLNA app, which isn't part of the 950. The only way to get video off the 950 appears to be plugging it into something and then waiting an hour and a half for 10gb to copy. Okay, like 8 minutes. But still WAY TOO LONG.

thesameguy
December 22nd, 2015, 10:08 AM
Oh, hey, here's a still taken. You can see the total lack of focus on Jay Siren. It just can't handle red light *at all*.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=761A647D1BA02FAC!12842&authkey=!AISdfdhHLvRhfGA&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

Kchrpm
December 22nd, 2015, 10:51 AM
I might have a hard time focusing in that situation, too.

thesameguy
December 22nd, 2015, 10:57 AM
Yeah, not enough positive things can be said of Jay. I wish I could get the video off the phone to share - there were some excellent results when the lights were blue. ;)

thesameguy
December 22nd, 2015, 02:58 PM
My video will be live at:

http://youtu.be/sWIJqCwDJy4

whenever Youtube deems it ready. Hopefully whatever is done doesn't kill the quality and ya'll can observe the, um, details.

Okay, it exists, but it's decidedly NSFW. :)

You can definitely see the weird auto-focus pulsing... I haven't watched the result yet to see if the non-red-clarity survived the tube's recompression.

Also, I will call attention to the sound quality. I was standing directly under one of the PAs and it was LOUD. I expected just noise, but Windows Phone did what I would consider an AWESOME job cutting noise, especially on the second number which was fantastically bass-y!

Random
December 22nd, 2015, 08:41 PM
You've got the video set to private.

GreatScawt
December 23rd, 2015, 07:48 AM
How did I miss all this? Whoops! Still rocking my 1020, hoping to eventually pick up the 950 (but instead I bought a monitor!). I'll wait until next year... hopefully they can knock the price down a few hundred. I'll be buying it outright.

There are (were?) also rumors that MS will have another phone come out in 2016... and sticking with the "Surface" branding. I'd rock a Surface Phone.

thesameguy
December 23rd, 2015, 08:27 AM
You've got the video set to private.

It's not set to private... it does have age restrictions though.

thesameguy
December 23rd, 2015, 08:30 AM
Or I am a dirty liar and forgot to save changes. Derp.

thesameguy
December 23rd, 2015, 08:31 AM
There are (were?) also rumors that MS will have another phone come out in 2016... and sticking with the "Surface" branding. I'd rock a Surface Phone.

I think they are trying to divorce themselves from the Nokia legacy. Talk about a crazy-stupid path to have taken to get in on the smart phone market!

Yw-slayer
December 23rd, 2015, 09:26 AM
Video quality is decent, sound quality is excellent. :up:

I'm also really impressed by the fact that you took 25 mins of video. Or did you have a tripod/monopod?!

thesameguy
December 23rd, 2015, 10:00 AM
Not only was that held in my hand, but I had a 6S recording the exact same segment in my other hand. The real issue was a lack of a third hand to hold my rye, as it got quite watery by the end.

The youtube recompression definitely did not do the video any service, but I don't have anywhere to post the original. Maybe I will make a short clip and throw it up on my web host... it's really quite good when the lights aren't red. :)

Yw-slayer
January 3rd, 2016, 06:34 AM
My wife has now swapped to a 950, and now I am returning to Windows Mobile via her 950XL.

Strangely enough, the main app that I think I'll miss is Timely, but I have about 7 Android devices that I can run it on, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

thesameguy
January 3rd, 2016, 08:54 PM
That seems like a really strange thing to miss.

Yw-slayer
January 3rd, 2016, 09:43 PM
Yes, and I won't now that I've realised the WP alarm apps are just fine.

thesameguy
January 4th, 2016, 08:33 AM
It seems pretty robust. I do wish Cortana could more easily make alarms as well as calendar entries from text, but whaddayagonnado?

Yw-slayer
January 7th, 2016, 12:24 AM
After having used it for 4 days, I must say that:

1. The camera is better than that on the Oneplus, but not THAT much better - although admittedly I haven't tried any low-light shots yet.

2. Battery life is horrendous. Admittedly with a lot of Whatsapps, but on Wifi and Bluetooth, I'm at 32% by 1pm (having unplugged it at 8am)??!! Is there something I'm doing wrong? With my Oneplus, it'd usually still be at around 51% with similar use.

3. Notifications are a bit of a pain. If I read all the Whatsapps, why do I need to go into the notification bar and clear the notifications?

4. Apps "feel" slower than with my Oneplus and seem to be more buggy (random crashes, slow loading) and less well-designed generally. In particular, MyFitnessPal and Spotify.

5. Iris works well for a bit, even with glasses on (as long as it's calibrated without them on) but it gets confused after a while if you continue to rely on it with glasses on. Being AzN, this doesn't help. Turning it off didn't really help battery life.

6. Screen does not feel as sensitive to touch. That said, maybe it's because of the "tempered glass WTFBBQ" protector that came with the phone. I suspect once that's broken this issue will go away.

7. I miss the ability to just touch the screen and go to ENTER PIN. Why do I have to press the POWER button first??!!

8. I do like the Live Tile design, and the keyboard.

9. Fast charging via USB-C is smooth, fast, cool, and powerful.

I haven't tried Cortana yet as it's not available yet in my region.

With all that said, I'll stick with it until there is (if ever) a much better Android phone. I think the S7 or next Nexus might be it, but I'm not too fussed, particularly as I have several perfectly good Android devices that I can switch back to if necessary.

thesameguy
January 7th, 2016, 12:44 PM
#2 is really weird! I continue to marvel at my battery life. I was on hold with Dell for an hour on Tuesday and expected to have no battery left, but after a full day and a two hour call (using Bluetooth, FWIW), at 11p I had 40%. I'd be inclined to blame Whatsapp - which might be related to #4 - maybe you're just running buggy apps. Since I run none, I have neither concern. :D Actually, #3 might be in there too - I have not had that experience with notifications. If I open the app that generated the notification, the notification goes away. For me this is stuff from xbox, weather, Outlook, and something else - but those four all work as you'd expect.

#7 is actually something I like. Admittedly pushing the button can be an annoyance, but my phone tends to be roughly handled and having the screen always turning on and off was troublesome for me. I never knew if it was flashing on to let me know something or just because I brushed it in a special place. WRT having to push the button, I really wish Windows Phone had some of that Kinect/Echo "always listening" magic - being able to wake my phone when I can't reach it and activate Cortana would be GINORMOUS. I am sure this is a major PR issue - people not liking an always listening phone, but if people would pull their heads out of the ground and take five seconds to understand how the technology works, they probably would be less afraid.

Yw-slayer
February 2nd, 2016, 07:31 PM
Around a month now.

10. Camera is MUCH better than that on the Oneplus, although video responsiveness could be slightly better. I do like the physical shutter.

11. The battery life seems to have fixed itself after I deleted both of my Gmail accounts and set them to less aggressively sync/download full images//emails. It's now about as good as my Oneplus One, which is to say, decent to very good.

12. I moved more "mission critical" apps like Spotify from my 128GB (and super-fast, as it's a Samsung Evo Pro) SD card to the internal memory. That seems to have helped their responsiveness slightly and reduce Spotify's crash rate. That said, I still have technical issues with running third-party apps like Spotify. The latest technical preview seems to have improved loading and other performance on that front.

13. I'm still disappointed that when I swipe to the All Apps screen it takes a few seconds for all of the icons to show up, even with the latest technical preview.

14. HERE Maps has some good points, but is still a bit lacking in detail compared to Google Maps in some areas. I'm running a dual system of favourites.

Overall, I'm quire pleased with it, but it's not suitable for "mission critical" Spotify listening i.e. DJing land workouts for my Dragon Boat team (for which I just DL the playlist onto my old Oneplus One and use that) and only barely fits the bill for in-car listening. That said, I'll continue using it until something like the Surface phone (assuming it is really compelling, and runs iOS apps) or a really compelling Android phone pops up.

thesameguy
February 3rd, 2016, 09:44 AM
I have never heard mission critical applied to Spotify. :lol:

Yw-slayer
February 4th, 2016, 02:16 AM
Dude. Music is not your LYF3?

thesameguy
February 4th, 2016, 10:01 AM
No comment on that, but if it was, it wouldn't be from a UDP streaming service over a cell network....

Yw-slayer
February 4th, 2016, 03:57 PM
I can't carry my KEF speakers everywhere I go, so sometimes I make do with downloaded tracks in 320kbps OGG and FLAC files on the phone.

thesameguy
February 5th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Wait, so you're having problems with Spotify's cached/downloaded tracks, not the streaming ones?

Yw-slayer
February 6th, 2016, 07:13 AM
That's part of it. But the app is just rubbish in general. It sometimes just fails to resume, necessitating a close and restart of the app (which in itself takes ages). It's also far from smooth even when it DOES work, and makes a mockery of phone's power. Even opening a list of playlists, artists etc. sometimes takes several seconds, causes the app to crash, or causes the phone to reboot! It's horrible.

thesameguy
February 6th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Sheesh - that is a bad experience!

As you know I don't download a lot of apps, but those I have had reason to get have been good. :shrug:

Yw-slayer
February 7th, 2016, 07:08 AM
Yes. But on the plus side, now I am slamming all of my MP3s onto the 128GB Samsung MicroSD card I bought, so that should save me relying on Spotify for a few things.

thesameguy
February 7th, 2016, 08:40 AM
A+, that's how we do.

Yw-slayer
February 7th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Until, perhaps, I find that the MP3 playing app behaves the same way?

thesameguy
February 7th, 2016, 05:15 PM
I haven't used Groove all that much, but what I have streaming to the F150 via BT has been perfect.

Yw-slayer
February 8th, 2016, 02:10 AM
Tested it out today. Seems to be working well. :up:

I guess I need to start buying some CDs again? Or, uh, for my "friends" to start downloading stuff.

thesameguy
February 8th, 2016, 07:02 AM
Sucks that you can't divorce the Spotify downloads from their shitty app. :(

Kchrpm
February 22nd, 2016, 08:05 AM
HP has announced the Elite X3, a 6-inch smartphone that, when connected via cable or wireless display adapter, can drive a Windows 10 desktop/laptop experience.

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/14add9960136f3278fb6564cacdc5f51/203438150/exlite.jpg

Info/hands-on from a few major sites:
http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/21/hp-elite-x3/
http://gizmodo.com/hps-elite-x3-is-a-beastly-smartphone-running-windows-1758807452
http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/21/11068496/hp-elite-x3-announced-specs-windows-10-mwc-2016

thesameguy
February 22nd, 2016, 08:54 AM
That's a real surprise - especially given HP's completely crap track record with portable devices! :lol:

GreatScawt
June 27th, 2016, 08:26 AM
So I picked up a Lumia 950. I love it. I have it because I cracked the screen on my 1020, though, which makes me sad, especially as the screen is unresponsive now. But I have two issues and was wondering if anyone else with the phone (or 950XL) have similar issues.

Message sync from WP8.1? Only so many messages synced and then it just stopped. I'm missing two years of texts still.

Issues with reconnecting to WiFi after you get out of range? I noticed it last night, and when I tried to reconnect it would search and error out, giving no results. A reboot fixes it.
I'm also concerned that it is actually crashing my router. Since I've purchased the phone, our internet has had three very atypical crashes since.

Others have mentioned these things online, but no good solutions. I may try and get my 1020 screen fixed, maybe I can do a manual data transfer.

Super frustrating.

thesameguy
June 27th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Message sync: I unfortunately did not have that problem, because I'd neglected to turn on text message backup on the old phone. Doh.

WiFi: Oddly, I had the *exact same problem* with a screwy iPhone 5S and a Linksys router. The problem turned out to be the router not dropping the iPhone's connection like it should, making it impossible for the iPhone to reconnect and eventually killing the router requiring a reboot. We actually warranty-exchanged the iPhone only to have the same problem develop again a few weeks later. That prompted me to replace the Linksys with a Netgear router, no further problems.

My Lumia *does* have sort of the opposite problem, it stops working. If it drifts too far from a wifi access point or something it's paired to via Bluetooth the whole wifi/BT system on the phone shuts down and neither work. Turning whichever component off and back on again - usually Bluetooth, usually after shutting off the Suburban - fixes the whole thing. That problem has persisted across all the updates since I first got the phone.

There was a very buggy update about 2-3 months ago - I wonder if maybe you have an older OS on there. Have you checked for updates?

GreatScawt
June 27th, 2016, 11:37 AM
I have the latest production build, 10586.420. Blaze it.

The message sync and WiFi issues have apparently been around since close to release. It's kinda insane. Some people complain about battery but that isn't really a concern right now for me.

It's not a deal breaker. Sentimental value is main reason behind wanting text messages. And the WiFi issue can be put up with. Hell, my HTC HD7's WiFi straight up stopped working for a year and I just dealt with it.

It's just kind of mind-blowing these haven't been ironed out. Text messages especially can be really important for a variety of legal reasons.
With the cracked screen, my 1020 is non-responsive. If I *had* to access those texts on that phone, how would I be able to if they don't sync properly and they are locked and hidden in the cloud?

FWIW I emailed OneDrive support asking if they can do a force sync, assuming that's where that messaging data is.

That's good info on the router. And I think that's a perfect description. I'm pretty sure the router took a dump shortly after my phone did it's weird disconnect thing. I may see if I can catch it next time and toggle WiFi and Bluetooth on/off (Bluetooth is normally off) to fix it, rather than reboot it everytime. Especially if it means not crashing the router.

thesameguy
June 27th, 2016, 11:49 AM
I did a few of the "insider builds" on my 920, and one of them had some issues getting data put back. I ended up wiping the phone 2-3x and doing the onedrive restore each time, eventually it worked. If you're not too deep into the phone yet, and it hasn't done its own backup, you could try a wipe & restore.

My 950 has a few bugs - the most frustrating of which is the wifi/BT thing - but it's *so good* to use I am willing to put up with it. I use a lot of phones through and for work and I completely, utterly prefer Windows despite its foibles. It's pretty well thought out and the fact that I don't have apps to help it work properly is the selling point for me.

The only only notable issue I have is Cortana. She freaks out every so often and stops doing various things. I have the same issue on my lower-powered Venue Pro tablet, so I am assuming she is demanding more than the hardware can offer and failing. What's weird is that she used to work great on both platforms, but 3-4 months ago developed these issues. I'm guessing it's some sort of back-end optimization failure, but whatever. Things she fails to do don't get in the way of her making appointments for me, so I'm not troubled. ;)

Yw-slayer
June 27th, 2016, 09:19 PM
THREE people have them now! w007!!

I have a different wifi problem. I turn it off and it decides to turn itself back on when it detects wifi. I've turned off Wifi Sense and other similar settings.

I do like the OS and the camera puts out incredible photos. The main problem is, again, that many apps crash or don't run well on WP10 whereas I understand that they would run well on 8.1. Also, sometimes the camera freezes and the whole phone reboots. Fortunately my wife has a 950 so if she's there we just take the picture with her equally good camera. :lol: Outlook is also improving month-by-month, although there are still a lot of minor annoyances (why can't I set time zones for appointments in it when I can set time zones for appointments in desktop windows, ios, or android?).

I am running Fast Insider Builds and so I have had to wipe once, which was a bit irritating as I didn't backup my whatsapps and hence lost 3-4 months of them (the ones prior to that have been backed up as I was using Android), but it wasn't the end of the world.

I haven't tried Cortana as I think it's not actually available here yet.

GreatScawt
July 9th, 2016, 07:16 AM
SO....!!!
Check for updates on your phones, boys. I just got a firmware update that gave me double-tap-to-wake (something I loved from my 1020 on WP8.1). Paired with Iris scan (which works amazingly well, except for when I'm squinting in the sun), and double-tapping the nav bar to sleep, it's ultra convenient to get in an out.

AND

...a WiFi fix is apparently included? So far so good on the home network, which is the only place I had issues. It'll be about a week before I'm comfortable admitting my WiFi issue is fixed. Thank god (for now). And what timing. This has apparently been an issue since almost launch. :up:

Yw-slayer
July 9th, 2016, 05:19 PM
Nice. Will check double tap to wake.

SportWagon
July 10th, 2016, 01:14 PM
I know someone who used to have (probably still has a no-longer-working) c. 2005 Toshiba WinCE phone.

thesameguy
July 10th, 2016, 04:13 PM
I had one, and I had a first gen Windows Phone. Both were incredibly far ahead of their time. When people started getting Android and iPhones (especially the latter) I was like "What, had that in '06. Derp."

Yw-slayer
July 10th, 2016, 04:37 PM
I had 2 of those those awesome HTC Windows CE phones. The Trek communicator back when they were called Dopod, and then the 8 Pro with a keyboard. They were great.

GreatScawt
August 18th, 2016, 06:35 PM
You guys pick up the W10M Anniversary Update? Got it a few days ago. Really digging it. It seems to make my phone a little snappier.

thesameguy
August 18th, 2016, 06:47 PM
I haven't - I opted out of the insider builds on the 950 as I've just been overwhelmed with life since spring and I don't have the energy to deal with phone betas. :(

GreatScawt
August 18th, 2016, 07:05 PM
It's the production ring!

thesameguy
August 19th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Oh, is this the .545 update? I have had that for a couple weeks. I haven't noticed anything specific improved or changed.

Yw-slayer
August 19th, 2016, 10:11 AM
I've been on Insider for some time. Anniversary Update doesn't seem to have made a big difference to me.

GreatScawt
August 21st, 2016, 09:48 AM
I got an accumulation of updates in one shot. More noticeable for me I'd imagine.

Apparently the Anniversary update on production ring was only released lately for unlocked phones? Is yours unlocked TSG?

OS build is currently 10.0.14393.67

thesameguy
August 21st, 2016, 11:00 AM
Could be something locked or AT&T related. That build is Redstone 1, I'm stuck at Threshold 2. I just turned on Insider on my phone for "production preview" and it says 14393.82 is that build. What the hell, I'm downloading it while packing up the motorhome. Where I'm going, I don't need a phone.

Yw-slayer
September 20th, 2016, 04:58 AM
I am sorry TSG. The latest build broke my front facing camera for 2 days before it fixed itself. Today I found out that my tethering doesn't work. Now I have an S7.

Kchrpm
September 20th, 2016, 05:25 AM
https://m.popkey.co/369fce/6Gvjw.gif

Yw-slayer
September 20th, 2016, 05:34 AM
I actually really dislike the S7 build and cartoonish screen. But at least stuff should work all of the time. I didn't want the Edge as they only sell the 820 variant here (which apparently has worse audio than the 8890 version) and I refuse to pay 50% more for the Note 7. But I wanted waterproofing, which the 10, G5 and V20 don't have. So S7 it was.

That said, hopefully they will fix the 950 and Win10 at some point.

thesameguy
September 20th, 2016, 08:45 AM
I have not had any function-breaking difficulties with new builds, although inexplicably the last build does cause my Bluetooth tile to stay lit regardless of whether it's on or off which is weird.

I can't fault you on the S7 - I have gotten a couple of them and they are damn nice phones. I seriously considered jumping ship with the last one I got, but I think I'm willing to have Windows quirks in trade for getting to use the Windows UI. I dumped my personal iPhone (a shitty old 5) because I just couldn't take backwards-ass iOS anymore and replaced it with an equally old but less shitty Galaxy. I used it the entire week at Burning Man (it's disposable!) so got back into Android a bit, but I still prefer the Windows tiles interface. It's fast and I am fast with it. Plus, the integration with the Xbox and Windows 10 is so, so nice... although it's been months since I've touched the Xbox. Still...