PDA

View Full Version : Plate-related head scratcher

pl8ster
December 1st, 2015, 01:01 PM
So I work in an office building in Maine, in a business related to selling groceries. For the last year or so, I've seen a wide variety of vehicles appear in our parking lot on a fairly regular basis with Manufacturer-type plates, one at a time. Brand new Nissans and Infinitis with Tennessee Manufacturer plates. Hyundais and Subarus with Illinois Manufacturer plates. Another Subaru with Rhode Island Manufacturer plates. Mitsubishis with CA Distributor plates. Fords with Michigan Manufacturer plates. I have not seen the driver. I left a note a while back but no response as of yet. Any ideas as to what might be going on here? The suspense is killing me.

21Kid
December 1st, 2015, 01:05 PM
Testing for cold weather?

thesameguy
December 1st, 2015, 02:51 PM
We have an alternative fuels research facility here which generates that sort of traffic... maybe you've got something similar in your office building?

Sad, little man
December 1st, 2015, 05:30 PM
It's me, I'm stalking you. Sorry bro.

pl8ster
December 2nd, 2015, 05:50 AM
Ha, that would be cool. Can't be cold-weather testing because I've been seeing these vehicles all year. Plus, it just doesn't get cold enough here. There's a sweet-looking Infiniti Q50 out there now, with TN Manufacturer plates.

Kchrpm
December 2nd, 2015, 08:18 AM
Are you near Brewer?

http://automotiveoem.com/Somic-America-Inc_-1382342759

Or perhaps Auburn?

http://automotiveoem.com/Formed-Fiber-Technologies-Inc_970

Westbrook is also a possibility.

http://automotiveoem.com/Lanco-Assembly-Systems-Inc_3888

Kchrpm
December 2nd, 2015, 08:21 AM
Basically those cars could just be someone going out to check out current/potential suppliers and parts. Company travel = company car = manufacturer plates.

FaultyMario
December 2nd, 2015, 12:00 PM
I was thinking federal agency or industry lawyer, but supplier makes sense.

Drachen596
December 3rd, 2015, 02:32 AM
why wouldn't they fly instead of drive?

Kchrpm
December 3rd, 2015, 07:12 AM
Good question. Perhaps they have winter testing facilities within driving distance?

The plot thickens!

Phil_SS
December 3rd, 2015, 07:22 AM
Ha, that would be cool. Can't be cold-weather testing because I've been seeing these vehicles all year. Plus, it just doesn't get cold enough here. There's a sweet-looking Infiniti Q50 out there now, with TN Manufacturer plates.

Anybody else picture Pl8 as Tyrone Biggums when lookin out his window?

Random
December 10th, 2015, 09:04 AM
We have an alternative fuels research facility here which generates that sort of traffic... maybe you've got something similar in your office building?

Saw what appeared to be a much-modified, fuel-cell, uh, fueled Nissan Patrol on EB 80 this morning, in fact. :cool:

thesameguy
December 10th, 2015, 10:05 AM
I have seen that thing around. Those FCVs they test there get LOTS of road time. The crazy Honda FCV van looking thing hangs out in Davis all the time - and has for ten years!