PDA

View Full Version : I am unhappy with Windows 10

LHutton
December 15th, 2015, 10:54 AM
How on God's green Earth do you change the security settings in File Explorer? I right click, go into Properties >> Security and then click Edit, but all the option boxes are greyed out and unalterable.

thesameguy
December 15th, 2015, 10:59 AM
AFAIK, there are no security settings for file explorer... it's just explorer with a new name. What are you trying to do?

LHutton
December 15th, 2015, 11:04 AM
AFAIK, there are no security settings for file explorer... it's just explorer with a new name. What are you trying to do?
Perhaps I should have said folder permissions. I'm trying to change them. A very simple process in Windows 7.

thesameguy
December 15th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Are you talking about file system attributes, or file security? Nothing has changed as far as either of those go in 8 or 10. Perhaps you are trying to change something on a file or folder you don't have access to?

LHutton
December 15th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Are you talking about file system attributes, or file security? Nothing has changed as far as either of those go in 8 or 10. Perhaps you are trying to change something on a file or folder you don't have access to?
Well I'm the only one who uses the computer, so my access should be unlimited. With Windows 7 I could simply right-click a folder, hit properties, select security tab and edit permissions. Now when I do that, all the options are greyed out. And it keeps asking me to provide Admin permission during simply copies.

thesameguy
December 15th, 2015, 11:57 AM
It doesn't work that way in 8 or 10. The user is discouraged from using administrator accounts for daily operations. This is the proper way to use a computer environment to minimize the potential effects of malware. For system folder/files and certain other areas of the drive you need to supply administrator permissions to perform certain tasks. What specifically are you trying to do?

LHutton
December 15th, 2015, 12:15 PM
I was just copying something I moved back into a program folder - a shortcut and it asked for Admin permission.

LHutton
December 15th, 2015, 12:27 PM
I can change folder permissions at a lower level, but not at the top C drive level. Another problem is that msconfig, keeps resetting itself to defaults after I've changed the startup.

On the plus side, this sound card is off the chart good.

thesameguy
December 15th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Moving into the root or into Program Files requires administrator permissions, that is normal and expected. It's not hard to click "Allow."

What permissions are you trying to change at the root, and moreover, why?

Are you running msconfig as admin?

LHutton
December 15th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Moving into the root or into Program Files requires administrator permissions, that is normal and expected. It's not hard to click "Allow."

What permissions are you trying to change at the root, and moreover, why?

Are you running msconfig as admin?
How do you do that?

thesameguy
December 15th, 2015, 03:15 PM
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3436-run-administrator-windows-10-a.html

LHutton
December 16th, 2015, 05:49 AM
Is there a way of stopping Microsoft Explorer operating as the default for desktop links?

LHutton
December 16th, 2015, 05:56 AM
Isn't WinZip a default package on Windows?

Oh well there's another thing that doesn't work on Windows 10 - WinZip. Downloaded a monitor driver which came in a zip file can't open it.

Trying to open U2868PQU driver from here:

http://www.aocmonitorap.com/v2015/au/download_driver.php

Can anyone else open it?

thesameguy
December 16th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Are you talking about File Explorer, Windows Explorer, or Edge?

WinZip is a 3rd party program. Windows can open ZIP files natively, however, and has been able to since XP. That AOC ZIP file is damaged.

LHutton
December 16th, 2015, 09:09 AM
How does it do it natively, I've never been able to do it without WinZip even on Windows 7?

thesameguy
December 16th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Because zip support it built into Windows. Double click on a zip file, it opens. There is nothing to do. Seriously, this is Windows XP shit.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/enable-and-disable-xp-zip-support/

2004!

LHutton
December 16th, 2015, 10:04 AM
So is it automatically configured not to work as a default because double clicking always threw a blank on Windows 7 until I got WinZip.

So many problems today and yesterday. I want my old PC and Windows 7 back, there's literally nothing that works properly with Windows 10, it's like AIDS for computers. Even BF3 won't install.

thesameguy
December 16th, 2015, 10:14 AM
No, it works out of the box. In order for it not to work, you have to disable it or break it.

LHutton
December 17th, 2015, 01:34 AM
As soon as I double-clicked to open that zip file, it came up with a Winzip screen asking me if I wanted to buy or use a trial version. Maybe this is a US-vs-UK version thing. Anyway, I now have 7zip, so problem solved.

On a side note, do not buy an AOC U2868PQU Monitor, see comments:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/accessories/pc-monitors/1400006/aoc-u2868pqu-review

Having to get mine swapped. Thinking about an ACER PREDATOR XB280HK, doesn't seem to have any complaints against it.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer-predator-4k2k-xb280hk-28-3840x2160-tn-g-sync-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-065-ac.html

thesameguy
December 17th, 2015, 01:40 PM
I think it's because you installed WinZip. WinZip does not come with Windows and never has. If you install 3rd party stuff and it breaks your situation, that's on you, not Windows.

LHutton
December 18th, 2015, 01:41 AM
I think it's because you installed WinZip. WinZip does not come with Windows and never has. If you install 3rd party stuff and it breaks your situation, that's on you, not Windows.
I never did with Windows 10 because I simply never had chance to buy anything. As soon as I tried open that driver zip (which opens with 7zip), the computer asked me if I wanted to use a trial version of Winzip or buy it.

Right I got it working again but trust me, what I said above is correct, if it had just opened I obviously wouldn't have deliberately inconvenienced myself.

thesameguy
December 18th, 2015, 09:53 AM
I guess you have a special version of 10, then.

LHutton
December 18th, 2015, 11:25 AM
I guess you have a special version of 10, then.
No, it was a special zip file that wasn't a zip file, but why does Windows advertise Winzip?

I've got explorer opening normal zips again anyway but I kept 7zip because it opens some zips that Windows doesn't and it's free. All traces of Winzip gone.

Thanks for the help anyway.:) Still waiting for my monitor, right now I'm making do with playing 1080p at ~200FPS.

thesameguy
December 19th, 2015, 08:33 AM
No version of Windows advertises a 3rd party product. You might have gotten the suggestion for WinZip if you broke the default file association and then asked Windows to find a program that opens zips. I could see WinZip being a logical result of that search. But it is not included or advertised or needed.

LHutton
December 19th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Maybe.

LHutton
December 27th, 2015, 01:58 AM
More problems, I'm trying to use MSI Afterburner to slightly tweak the GPU fan profile on startup but Windows 10 simply prevents anything from working, even when I run the package as admin when making the adjustments. Windows 10 literally prevents you from using your own damn PC.

thesameguy
December 27th, 2015, 05:37 PM
Afterburner has had problems for years and only the most recent version even has fixes for poor Win10 behavior. Assuming you're running the latest, I would blame this on MSI and their iffy programming. It doesn't even work right on my Win7 machine. If you don't have the latest version, reinstall C++ redist and then install the latest version.

LHutton
December 28th, 2015, 01:41 AM
Running 4.2, which appeared to be latest version on MSI website.

What is this crap with having to reinstall C++ all the time? I did this a week ago, downloaded a couple of games and now it's gone and I have other versions of C++ that came with the games. So I uninstall the older versions, download 2015 versions and certain things stop working (can't find mfc120u.dll), it's just one big mess.

I would blame MSI but I've witnessed first hand how Windows 10 likes to prevent you doing things and then changes things you've changed back without telling you. The only Admin in Windows 10 is Windows 10 itself.

thesameguy
December 28th, 2015, 08:20 AM
I think you have identified your own problem. Newer versions of the C++ do not replace older versions, just like newer versions of .net don't replace older versions. If you are uninstalling old and installing new, of course things will break - apps are coded to use a specific version of the redistributable, and if you remove it they will no longer work. You don't need all the versions installed, but you need proper versions for whatever apps you have, not just the latest.

IMHO, you need to nuke this system and start over and do it right. Personally I would not trust whatever state it's in now. Installing older versions of C++ on top of newer versions has weird side effects. They at least need to be installed in order for best results.

LHutton
December 28th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Oh right, so you need to download games in a certain order that you won't know until after you've downloaded them? If I was to start over I'd find a copy of Windows 7 and install that, rather than Windows 10 aka Vista Mk2.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/906014/geforce-900-series/windows-10-blew-up-my-gtx960/

thesameguy
December 28th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Yeah, because dumb people doing dumb things is indicative of a bad product.

If I had a dollar for everyone who blamed a piece of software for their own failings I would be a bazillionaire. They would literally have to invent and quantify a new number to describe how rich I was. That is how many people blame software for things they don't know how to do properly. I had to reel my dad in from a "Windows 10 is not compatible with Firefox, it keeps crashing my machine" rager over X-mas. When I pointed out he'd downloaded VLC from the wrong site and it included a Firefox malware plugin, his only response was "Oh, I didn't do that." Of course he didn't. Of course. $1. Cha-ching.

LHutton
December 28th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Sorry, it's just not a very good product. Microsoft got in early and became the standard, but if we pressed reset right now, their OS would be blown out of the water by people who could write software.

thesameguy
December 28th, 2015, 12:25 PM
If you say so. :shrug: