PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Opinions - ACER PREDATOR XB280HK

LHutton
December 17th, 2015, 02:34 AM
Anyone got one, had one? Opinions? Problems?

Okay, I'm in a jam. I need one I can also use with a HDMI port, the XB280 doesn't have one.

So there's a Iiyama B888USHU-B1 but that has no G-Sync, also there's the more expensive Acer XB281HK what are the pros and cons.

http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/predator-model/UM.PX1EE.001

Does using a monitor at a non-native resolution, for consoles, damage them?

thesameguy
December 17th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Nope. Just reduces image quality.

LHutton
December 18th, 2015, 01:45 AM
Thanks, that's what I thought. It's literally just treating each 2x2 pixel grid as one pixel if I use 1080p on a 4K monitor. So no problems using it with PS4 aside from the fact the XB280HK has no HDMI but the XB281HK does. Hopefully this will go without problems and not have any screen blanking issues like the AOC monitor. AOC is the Packard Bell of Monitors.

thesameguy
December 19th, 2015, 08:36 AM
AOC used to be a solid 2nd tier choice, but I don't think they sell in America at all anymore... I used to sell a lot of their CRTs, but I have no idea what's become of them. These days I tend to recommend Dell, because they have solid QC and a mostly painless warranty process. Compared to other big brands like Asus or Samsung... dealing with them is horrific IMLE.

LHutton
December 19th, 2015, 08:51 AM
It's a minefield. Monitors used to be the one simple part of a computer.

If I get another one that doesn't work with Acer, I'm just going to stick with my 6 year old Dell ST2210 and sod 4K until they sought the technology out.

LHutton
December 23rd, 2015, 12:13 PM
Well got the XB281HK this morning. So far big thumbs up, flawless operation, far studier than the 2XB280HK and adds a HDMI port as well as the DP, very easy setup. Very good 4K picture and has a switchable frame counter built in. Minor criticisms (and I'm nitpicking) - slightly unintuitive menu system, no rotation adjust.

drew
December 24th, 2015, 06:09 AM
You can always get a converter for HDMI-DVI-DisplayPort, etc.

You can find any combination to any combination these days.

LHutton
December 24th, 2015, 07:00 AM
Thanks. I know but I didn't want to have to keep connecting and disconnecting, especially not given how the DP connection is a long way ergonomic, especially when it comes to connecting to the rear of a monitor. And a hub solution basically costs more than the difference between the 280 and 281.