PDA

View Full Version : DeLorean? WTF?!

overpowered
January 27th, 2016, 09:55 PM
http://jalopnik.com/the-delorean-is-coming-back-thanks-to-this-new-law-1755528406

pl8ster
January 28th, 2016, 03:40 AM
I don't have anything to add, except WTF?

Jason
January 28th, 2016, 03:49 AM
300hp NA V6? Well dang. If they work on the suspension on the thing, it might actually be a fun car :lol:

Kchrpm
January 28th, 2016, 05:52 AM
From the DeLorean loving/studying Nate (aka dodint/Intrepid) in the GTXF Google Chat:

They're frauds, as usual. Not my cup of tea.
It's similar to them refurbing a bunch of them and upgrading them to Turbo's and calling them 2004 models.

novicius
January 28th, 2016, 05:59 AM
Haters gotta hate. #shrug

Phil_SS
January 28th, 2016, 06:28 AM
Sounds awesome. :up:

And are they any more of a fraud than Delorean himself?

novicius
January 28th, 2016, 06:52 AM
:lol: :up:

I mean this is still in the "Dreamer" stage -- I'm sure all of the usual outlets will begin doing comparos once they hit the streets. Still, a Toyota (or a Ford Duratech 3.7L) V6 pumping out 300ish horsepower is only going to help matters.

Besides, 300 cars sold for $100K each? That is not going to negatively affect the current DeLorean collectors market so why hate? I also think this endeavor sounds awesome -- good luck to them!

Kchrpm
January 28th, 2016, 08:12 AM
I just think it's weird to call them new if they're just refurbing old cars.

Godson
January 28th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Who the fuck wants a delorean?

overpowered
January 28th, 2016, 10:57 AM
And are they any more of a fraud than Delorean himself?You've got a point.

speedpimp
January 28th, 2016, 11:06 AM

Fanboys that jerk off to flux capacitors?

thesameguy
January 28th, 2016, 11:50 AM
I just think it's weird to call them new if they're just refurbing old cars.

Are they though? I think they have parts and are going to build cars with them. I don't think they have 300 dusty old DeLoreans in a warehouse that are getting engine swaps. They are going to be brand new cars... just built with old metal.

What Rob Dickinson does with Porsches is nothing short of amazing. If he can do that, I don't see why Texas can't have some restomodded DeLoreans.

Honestly, I'll bet a restomodded DMC drives better than a overpowered 911/930. It certainly has the credentials to!

SkylineObsession
January 28th, 2016, 11:22 PM
I think they'll need to distinguish them from the current fleet, not just in the handling and engine departments. Maybe a name change (DMC-13? ;) ) and something different visually too?

But otherwise, i hope it goes ahead and actually performs well.

KillerB
January 31st, 2016, 09:33 AM
They're called new because there is a new law that allows up to 300 cars be built to an old design without meeting federal crash standards. I can't recall whether they're also exempt from emissions standards.

Basically it's to allow the kit car makers like Factory Five to sell complete cars to people without the time or skills to build themselves. DeLorean seems to have lucked into this.

Kchrpm
January 31st, 2016, 09:45 AM
Ah, ok. Thanks for that info :up:

Godson
January 31st, 2016, 11:12 AM
They are not exempt from the emissions

speedpimp
January 31st, 2016, 11:39 AM
For what they're asking I'd rather go out and get a Revology GT350 (http://revologycars.com/65-66-shelby-gt-350/).

dodint
June 28th, 2016, 07:27 AM
http://jalopnik.com/the-delorean-is-coming-back-thanks-to-this-new-law-1755528406

DMC-H makes an announcement similar to this every few years. Motoring press bit extra hard this time. James is a great guy and has wonderful intentions, but the chances of this getting off the ground in a meaningful way is pretty low. It's a boy-who-cried-wolf sentiment, but the reality is there are heavy obstacles that need to be overcome both mechanically and financially. Those can be achieved overcome with a large production run where the costs are distributed over thousands of units, but they're talking about doing up a 5 cars a year and selling them for six figures. It just doesn't add work on any level. Nobody wants a six-figure DMC, even one with a modern drivetrain and bluetooth.

It's not just a matter of putting in a bigger engine and transmission and loading up on horsepower to make the car perform in accordance with its look. The fiberglass on frame design can only handle about 300ish horsepower before it becomes unsafe to drive. The few people that have put the money into putting big HP into these cars found out that the structural integrity just isn't there, and the suspension is an archaic Lotus design that never evolved into something capable of handling those numbers. It did later as the Esprit evolved away from the a-frame from suspension but the DMC never got the benefit of that. This video touches on a lot of what I'm saying here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFEqClpt5ck

People like to chirp that the car was designed poorly because it can't handle being beefed up, but that's not the case. It does what it was designed to do very well, which is tour around with 130hp and last forever. It's great at that. The PRV-6 motor wasn't their first choice, they actually (and thankfully passed) on a rotary while working with Dick Brown and Mazda and a few other interesting choices, but ultimately needed to use a drivetrain that was already EPA certified because of the strict timeline they put themselves under to appease the British government that was footing the bill.

300hp NA V6? Well dang. If they work on the suspension on the thing, it might actually be a fun car :lol:

Sure, could be. As I noted above it will take a complete redesign of the suspension as well as the body on frame design. They claim they have an idea for a new body tub material but as of now they have not actually pressed anything yet, it's still in R&D.

From the DeLorean loving/studying Nate (aka dodint/Intrepid) in the GTXF Google Chat:

They're frauds, as usual. Not my cup of tea.
It's similar to them refurbing a bunch of them and upgrading them to Turbo's and calling them 2004 models.

That quote was made off the cuff and posted out of context. I don't mind, but it needs clarity. 'Frauds' is jokingly harsh, see boy-cried-wolf comment above. James is a great guy, DMC-H and their partners are great companies, and I have nothing bad to say about their operations. They do get a little fanciful about wanting to release a 'new DMC' every few years, though. But whatever, it drives interest in the marquee. And no, a new DMC is not my cup of tea, I'm getting an original, thanks. The comment about the refurb in 2004 was a allusion to an argument I had with Matt when the '2004' DeLorean showed up in Gran Turismo. Slapping on a turbo and calling it a 2004 is still not a real thing, sorry Matt.

Haters gotta hate. #shrug

Not me, I'm the biggest DMC-12/DMC-H fan you know. Have to be a realist, though.

Sounds awesome. :up:

And are they any more of a fraud than Delorean himself?

I'd love a witty retort here, but really, John did some really shady things in the name of his image. The 1985 book Grand Delusions: The Cosmic Career of John De Lorean by Hillel Levin goes into great detail about the deals JZD did during the time after he left General Motors until the fall of DMC. He had his hand in a lot of weird stuff, from RVs to a chain of go-kart tracks that dotted the Midwest. He was really great at starting things, especially with others peoples money, but he wasn't a finisher.
James and DMC-H are not frauds, just quick to dream out loud when they shouldn't.

Besides, 300 cars sold for $100K each? That is not going to negatively affect the current DeLorean collectors market so why hate? I also think this endeavor sounds awesome -- good luck to them!

There have been lots of thoughts on the subject in the DMC enthusiast community. Some like the idea of new parts and revived interest in the brand, others think it will suck up the NOS parts bins and drive prices through the roof. I'm apathetic to it, the DMC vendor market is absolutely huge for the amount of cars that are out there and I'm not worried at all about the new car affecting anything with the original in a meaningful way. Worst that could happen is DMC-H overplays their hand and somehow loses the company, but given their penchant for talking bigger than acting I don't think it'll go that far.

I do. I'm getting my ducks in a row to purchase in Spring 2017. Buying an immaculate model this time, though, no project car for this go round. There are plenty of others like me as well. The DMC owner community is fiercely loyal.
Unless you meant a new one, then yeah, I don't know, who the fuck wants a warmed over 35 year old platform that isn't a Porsche?

Are they though? I think they have parts and are going to build cars with them. I don't think they have 300 dusty old DeLoreans in a warehouse that are getting engine swaps. They are going to be brand new cars... just built with old metal.

The factory produced about 8,000 units. They had parts on hand for thousands more. A liquidation company bought all the parts and shipped them to Dayton, OH. They sold the entire stock to DMC-H in the mid-90s. They're 'building the cars' with these NOS parts and whatever new tech they'll design. The only thing that is completely out of stock is the trim the covers the speaker and wall behind the driver, and they're super low on left front fenders. They'll have to punch more fenders to do any kind of meaningful run, which is great, since it will drive down the cost on LF fenders for owners of original DMCs.

For anyone that is interested in automotive business, project management, history, Lotus, whatever...The DeLorean Story: The Car The People The Scandal by Nick Sutton is an exceptional read. It was just published recently but the insight found in it is very interesting. I'm going to get to meet Nick at DCS 2016 next month, really looking forward to it.

When you scrape away the silliness of BTTF and the stench of the DeLorean arrest (acquitted, btw, turns out threats were made on his family and that's why he was entrapped into the cocaine deal, DMC was already bailed out by a third party investor at that point) the DMC-12 and the enthusiast community that supports it today is pretty remarkable. The enthusiasts love it, the vendor market is huge, and the cars themselves are reliable and iconic. Given the outlandish design and the short 3-year run the DMC-12 is the exact case study for what would happen if someone designed your favorite car and it was frozen in time. Same as if the E30 was the last 3-series before BMW went out of business.
The lack of enthusiasm and downright derision from this community towards that phenomenon is pretty surprising, honestly. Given the eclectic tastes of the user base here I'll chalk it up to pure ignorance (BTTF car, drug deal, whatever) rather than well considered and thoughtful opinions.

novicius
June 28th, 2016, 08:10 AM
I mean this is still in the "Dreamer" stage... good luck to them!
We're all sensitive boys here, no disrespect meant.

Very cool that you're angling for a pristine runner. :up: :up:

dodint
June 28th, 2016, 08:16 AM
No disrespect meant here either. Keith said I was harsh, but I don't think so if it was conveyed how I intended.

I welcome criticism of the original car if it's an informed opinion. It's really hard to present a case that it didn't achieve what it set out to do. At the time the DMC facility was state of the art, best in the world and it produced a good product. Cheap, safe, reliable touring sports car that could carry golf bags.

Criticism of their effort to create a 'new' one? I don't really care either way on that as, to me, it's vaporware. I hope they pull it off but it would be a first for them despite the stack of announcements.

novicius
June 28th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Re: the frame, has anyone tried putting a C4 frame under a DeLorean? Or Mustang, whichevs? That would be one way to have an instant platform for performance brakes, suspension and power, I'd think.

(Or just a full-on tube-frame chassis, of course. :D )

dodint
June 28th, 2016, 11:31 AM
This guy has a C5 LS1 making 425hp on the dyno: http://ls1delorean.blogspot.com/

I don't really care for the project (nothing against it, just not my thing, he did it as his graduate project for an engineering school) so I haven't read what he did to get everything to work.

http://blog.powerblocktv.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Screen-Shot-2015-10-27-at-11.30.51-AM.png

I do know the motor hangs uncomfortably low, though.

dodint
July 18th, 2016, 09:16 AM
I'm heading down to DCS in Springfield, IL this weekend. Really excited about it. Thanks to the financial plan I set up for myself last winter and getting into law school it looks like I'll be buying mine next spring. So this show should be about continuing to network and starting to decide exactly what I want in a DMC.

Speakers:

*Ronnie Arnold, one of the drivers of the 50K Endurance Testing (using pre-production DeLoreans)
**Stephen Arrington, Author: In DeLorean's Shadow, sole surviving defendant from the DeLorean trial
Colleen Booth, personal secretary for John Z. DeLorean (DMC years) from mid-70's to early 80's
*George Levy, auto journalist who attended the DeLorean Junket for the DeLorean's Initial Release
*Dr. Giancarlo Perini, Consultant to JZD in the 1970's, liaison between ItalDesign and DMC corporate
Michael Scheffe, Construction Coordinator for Back to the Future, Future Consultant for BTTF II
Chris Duvall, QAC Parts Manager and Parts POG (Keeper of the Troy QAC Parts Log)
Bob Gale, writer and producer of the Back to the Future Trilogy movies
**Nick Sutton, former DMC Executive, (Employee #16) author of The DeLorean Story
*Phyllis Sutton, former DMC Secretary, (Employee #21) wife of Nick Sutton
Jeff Synor, QAC Engineer and King POG (POG = Looks like a Pig, Works Like a Dog)

*Plan to attend their panel.
**Have read their book, plan to meet with/sign.

Also, I found out recently on a trip to an auto museum in Green Bay that I do indeed fit in them. JZD was 6'4" so I didn't think that would be an issue, and the car is actually exceptionally wide so there seems to be room that way too. I could use a little more hip space and my right leg is basically stuck straight with not much room to move around. We'll see how that works out. I'm in the middle of a weight loss effort so that 'fitting' was also done under a 'worst case scenario', by the time I'm ready to purchase I'll be about 50lbs lighter.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/DitcRPOpBBT0_jIlqtSt-QYt-cLqqKY9nVY751fboqrL3p62anRfFYMTPrVJd15oCR4DUg4BmKa SPBl_RbvwFFdhNPqnvfE4prnaZcaiwdSvEiUs322V7OpMeT4ee j_-4DB79z3eQ3iR6SLDlhJ0A9FKuHH4LwcVI16prHcqTwhS5ZyPlC FYMKJxTl82O8yNPZ-xr3fFfzimmQb9iakRHNG3CvQ1QnyuGIb2Rq3NJ2Zcna0IbT8cd CcK7SGcDlb7IEbDJGECzoB3dKhBUx4WFZ5ezgJpRh9_x4y6nE9 G-9hSyzTMjX8t0CaF8IXehJIC1GJl17wh2GeRcPQqkeKBK0spquc jJIZBnSkZFjluyMEzDKj355bN7yiHUe-pOHMWmIfJMEz6-MsiDk4jo7WOjlfsIAg4zyG7gMxm_zRmAkDOAMoSbuMwEjy-LE0VnzdXYLdSK_rHDPouVQBl3wh84GKMoB4TAneowpkRD9YOvo Vk1KaEi5kRa6CVdkLm3tPkUy_LenjmrF6tYXyRrb7dEqSQ6tnj tuZVUkCwQFoxYQo3hfh7p0tzix23bsjy8ttiFp3c2WoS_Rj6cy 5gNfGrJs9_6SeQqvQ=w800-h450-no

The seat wouldn't slide all the way back so it looks more cramped than it is. I was also wearing motorcycle boots so the tightness of the pedalbox was probably exaggerated.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/WBWmxSejWLuCMPAGXYWZ9l67mJWmdvhteJvNTlhFVG5_MLH5ZY D2Y2iKTkfyBViItagZeANzODhELMIbvFs4Mu-9OHK9JYarcKH2ZqnRdgAkVKkcUkxWOZok5UkijDvL0i4qvXDYq QDo4Qr8N66TzDOYJSbrgEjcT9pJ_o8uWAExgJ-clk2J6HO9VrzaJv_-Fs3tqxvybHJpKdqtASeuw4F4PZeD5mepoU98O5FGRdh0AM4pAn QKklY-MZARjyH8w3DXqK0jOZhl65Wt1dhHg5xD75zcUQpMpnmIgbFMVu c-kinEOcP4DNtKHq-exMLgwVlcB1QE34kyNtSNU053mQp7kii6_JPGb0cW75Z5aBTOv kRRgum7hxqdeO7hsjD7fvDlCJ8OnmThUUgCKk3unj--yOuFesZFRBVQhFcc284sJGpR9GU6c-OfJ4XNmSq854TP0Q8rKRnNgVEKeRDUZ6vMw2ZbbJ6yRDcqIK7g H2MfFbY6O1JZ3iWMXDEj3S-k9PEsLNJhGmpUrUPat0rjD3zKGNLoF6SZ77YZNJDBdbxhOjRYC 5-O0IWnUvZjuH3NT0_OWRrDHOxEHeX3pHKeh6UCl1t2ljE=w506-h900-no

Compared to a C7 Vette the DMC was wider but didn't have the depth in the footwell. The C7 I sat in was a 'vert so I don't know how well I'd fit in a coupe, still want to try.

speedpimp
July 18th, 2016, 02:12 PM
:up:

thesameguy
July 19th, 2016, 03:09 PM
I am completely jealous of your pursuit of DMC. It's a car I've always wanted to own, but just would never commit to. (I will admit, I'd have to do a motor swap. I have a deep, possible genetic dislike of the PRV V6.)

dodint
July 20th, 2016, 05:19 AM
I was reading about a guy that switched from the 2.8L PRV6 that came with the car to a 3.0L PRV6. It looks identical except for the location of the dipstick. It's a real head scratcher because it is a de facto way to devalue the car and stands to gain the least amount of upgrade possible for that procedure. Just a really odd choice.

I'm not the engine swap type. I don't typically mind it but it just isn't for me. I'm okay with the Stage I/II/III turbo upgrade options offered by many of the vendors. The factory had developed a twin-turbo right before collapsing so it's not out of character. Getting the car up to 200hp seems like the proper sweet spot, to me. Any more than that and you start pushing into a range where the body tub starts to have structural integrity issues.

I'm looking more forward to other upgrades like fully converting the car to LED, refreshing the interior, lowering the suspension back down to euro spec, etc. It's weird. With the M6 I was all about restoring back to factory spec but oddly with the DMC I see it more as a platform open to tasteful customization.

As an aside, I was reading last night about the 'low volume automaker' legislation that DMC is waiting on and apparently it's hitting a snag.

Legislative Update

NHTSA’s Deputy Administrator and nominee for the Undersecretary for Policy at the Department of Transportation (DOT), Blair Anderson, was asked by Senator Dean Heller of Nevada if the agency was on track to list final regulations by the end of 2016, as outlined in the legislation. Mr. Anderson replied:

NHTSA is actively engaged in implementing the low-volume manufacturer provision of the FAST Act. While the agency may not be able to complete a final rule by the deadline, NHTSA is working to issue a notice of proposed rulemaking as quickly as possible.

Stuart Gosswein, SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association) Senior Director of Federal Government Affairs reports that EPA staff continue to work on a draft proposed rule for this program and that SEMA staff are working with both EPA and CARB to take actions necessary to implement the federal law.

All in all, while we at DMC find this encouraging, we are still concerned about the relatively slow pace of the progress to date.

If DMCH is concerned about the slow pace that's a horrible sign. ;)

Remember, this is just to get them to the level where they can produce 1 car a month.
They've abandoned the aluminum frame and went back to steel.
They've narrowed it down to two engines, so that's something.
Still seeking bids on someone to machine the right-front fender.
They still claim they'll start taking reservations next month.

Best of luck to them.

Sad, little man
July 20th, 2016, 06:06 AM
It's simple... BMW is a storied automotive brand with a rich history known for impeccable engineering. You felt the need to honor and preserve that.

DMC was a flawed yet unique and lovable company who's mistakes ultimately led to their untimely demise. There is no rich history to preserve, only a legacy of failure. In addition, because they met their end prematurely, the evolution of the brand and the vehicle was abruptly ended. You fancy yourself as someone who could, in your own way, continue the advancement of the vehicle's design in a way that John Delorean wanted to but never got the chance to.

Kchrpm
July 20th, 2016, 06:23 AM
I think ol' crazy pants (/s) is onto something

thesameguy
July 20th, 2016, 07:28 AM
That's the sentiment over in Fieroland as well - a car that by concept would have been great, hamstrung by corporate BS, and then killed off just as everything started to turn around for no good reason. Fixing what GM didn't originally or continuing the evolution as they might have is a strong cultural sentiment.

dodint
July 20th, 2016, 07:40 AM
There are also 4x as many DMCs as there were E24 M6s in the US which is a factor.

Part of the DMC ethos was that the car was meant for 30 year ownership, it was intended to be purchased and then carried on. It's easy to see that they wouldn't mind you taking out the Craig radio from 1981 and putting in Bluetooth.

You fancy yourself as someone who could, in your own way, continue the advancement of the vehicle's design in a way that John Delorean wanted to but never got the chance to.

This is the exact mentality of most of the vendors out there now. The disagreement I'd have is that it's a "legacy of failure." 73% of the DMCs made are still on the road, a huge number for a 35 year old production car. And the factory was state of the art, they really spared no expense there. They essentially invented Simultaneous Engineering and Just-In-Time Inventory (out of necessity) whereas the Japanese actually did it later but in a methodically in a reproducible way. Any legacy of failure comes from JZD's poor decision making when trying to get the company to an IPO, and even he was acquitted since the state entrapped him by threatening to send his daughters head to him in a bag if he didn't buy the cocaine.

The sad thing is that they had already found a European investor that was going to supply the money they needed to get to the IPO, but JZD was already so far into the cartel sting that he couldn't back out. Had that not happened I'm 100% certain they would still be in business today. They had plans for a sedan, metro bus (DMC-24), and a bunch of other revenue producing product lines. Hell, JZD owned a company that made ski slope groomers.

This just showed up on Youtube this week and I watched it last night, it's actually a pretty good rundown of what happened and what could've been. A lot of the people interviewed there will be at DCS this weekend, looking forward to meeting them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt5X83NA-pE

dodint
July 21st, 2016, 06:06 AM
I was reading about a guy that switched from the 2.8L PRV6 that came with the car to a 3.0L PRV6. It looks identical except for the location of the dipstick. It's a real head scratcher because it is a de facto way to devalue the car and stands to gain the least amount of upgrade possible for that procedure. Just a really odd choice.

So, talked to the guy, and...no power increase when moving from 2.8 to 3.0. He's getting 100hp at the wheels.

:erm:

I didn't want to be a jerk so I let it go, but I have no clue why you'd want to make that move at all when there are piles of NOS motors available.

novicius
July 21st, 2016, 04:30 PM
Getting the car up to 200hp seems like the proper sweet spot, to me. Any more than that and you start pushing into a range where the body tub starts to have structural integrity issues.
I'm having trouble comprehending this issue: this sounds more like a traction issue vs. an out-and-out horsepower issue.

If you have 400RWHP but you're running All-Seasons on a factory 7.5" (or whatever) rim, you really shouldn't have the grip necessary to twist the chassis on a hard launch, much less passing situations or top speed runs.

Don't put slicks on a bottle-fed LSX DeLorean, got it. But if people don't put the sticky treads on, I can't see how crank HP is really going to break the car? :erm:

dodint
July 21st, 2016, 05:48 PM
That begs the question why you would bother putting in power you can't use, though. Seems frivolous. Just put in what you can use.

A tangentially important reason is you have to use a turbo and boost to get there, which makes for a poor idle and rougher experience. Not worth it to me, I think the Stage II vendor turbo is only 6 psi.

novicius
July 21st, 2016, 06:05 PM
Because burnouts are cool? :D

Seriously tho', people like horsepower even if they're just going to blow the wheels off the car. Also (as you're aware, of course) drivetrain & chassis shock at launch on sticky tread is far more powerful than rolling on the power while under way.

So one could still enjoy higher power in a car with purposely low limits (IMO). Not that that's what you're doing but for those folks who are, I'd bet they're still enjoying the greater-than-stock power.

dodint
July 21st, 2016, 07:27 PM
I gave you a low quality response because I'm on my phone. When I get back from DCS I'll convey my position more clearly.

novicius
July 21st, 2016, 08:14 PM
Sure thing, no worries.

dodint
August 17th, 2016, 12:41 PM
I'm having trouble comprehending this issue: this sounds more like a traction issue vs. an out-and-out horsepower issue.

If you have 400RWHP but you're running All-Seasons on a factory 7.5" (or whatever) rim, you really shouldn't have the grip necessary to twist the chassis on a hard launch, much less passing situations or top speed runs.

Don't put slicks on a bottle-fed LSX DeLorean, got it. But if people don't put the sticky treads on, I can't see how crank HP is really going to break the car? :erm:

I've been mulling this conversation over and ultimately I don't have a good position to counter yours. If a person wants to run 400hp through a DMC and cook tires leaving Cars & Coffee I'm not going to stop them. I really don't care because I'm not the one paying for it. The only people in DMC culture I just can't stand are the amateur time machine makers. F'them.

Here are reasons why I won't do it:
-I have an 'enhanced stock' philosophy with this marque. Purely my opinion.
-The stock front suspension has poor geometry. You either have to accept the risk or do a radical upgrade.
-It's an RR car with an already unbalanced weight distribution. Turning it into a rocket sled will ruin most drivers, see: '70s 911.
-The 30+ year old fiberglass monocoque is bolted to the frame with 6 body bolts and nothing else. Throw it around too much and it will twist and warp.
---DMCH is developing new tubs (they say) from modern material that is much stiffer (not carbon fiber, though), so this may go away as a problem eventually.
-Stage II upgrade gets you to 197hp which moves the car adequately by todays standards, any extra money/effort is better spent on other pursuits, to me.

I had dinner with a guy that did a really nice and clean LS1 swap. He's a smart guy that doesn't seem too worried about the suspension and structural issues. I wouldn't go so far as to say that he would recommend his car to a new DMC driver though.

thesameguy
August 17th, 2016, 12:48 PM
-The 30+ year old fiberglass monocoque is bolted to the frame with 6 body bolts and nothing else.

I did not know this!

The Fiero is a spaceframe with body design, but more or less each panel is attached separately. The single largest piece is the upper rear section:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/191215697018-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

Everything else is quite small.

dodint
August 17th, 2016, 12:55 PM
This is a Delorean tub (kind of Fiero'ish):

http://www.time-traveler.org/delorean/Houston03/IMG_1453.jpg

The SS panels are hung on that, so they provide no structural rigidity themselves.

Neat pic I just found while looking for that:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-70KXWEL4ILQ/Tx4z9OM3AUI/AAAAAAAAAV0/s_baKUebcyo/s1600/explodaviewthumb.jpg

thesameguy
August 17th, 2016, 01:18 PM
Ha. Looks like a Fiero!

http://cliff.hostkansas.com/images/2009/skeleton_1.gif

:lol:

http://cliff.hostkansas.com/pffimages/delo1.JPG

:lol: :lol:

dodint
August 17th, 2016, 01:24 PM
There is a guy in Youngwood, PA (Project Vixen) that bought his DMC in boxes from a storage unit. While reassembling it he ran it around his neighborhood without the steel panels or doors on it. Lots of his neighbors asked WTF he was doing with a naked Fiero.

http://www.projectvixen.com/

thesameguy
August 17th, 2016, 09:40 PM
This is important:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/dad-buys-delorean-to-show-daughter-the-power-of-love/ar-BBvJLz7?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

novicius
August 18th, 2016, 04:08 AM
Here are reasons why I won't do it:
Oh yeah, I wasn't arguing that you should go big HP, just that without serious traction a big horse LSX isn't going to necessarily break anything. :up:

Some people just gotta have that V8 burble. ;)

dodint
August 18th, 2016, 08:24 AM
This is important:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/dad-buys-delorean-to-show-daughter-the-power-of-love/ar-BBvJLz7?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Saw the video earlier. I loved that she was incredibly respectful of the unknown owner and didn't want to touch it. Cool kid, better than most adults.

Jesus, look at the comments on that article. Comparing it to Lolita because she hugged her dad? Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

thesameguy
August 18th, 2016, 09:06 AM
People who read news stories about things that don't interest them and still have the time to post comments leave the type of comments you'd expect. Snide, sad ones. I'm sure if I ever become motivated to comment on news stories about the county fair neighborhood t-ball they'll be pretty awful too.

overpowered
August 26th, 2016, 09:58 PM
Interesting picture in this one:

http://theusbport.com/delorean-motor-company-new-car-2017-price-specs-release-date-news/4385

dodint
August 27th, 2016, 06:02 AM
Old article (January 2016) using what looks like a fan rendering. The 'new' DMCs are using the existing body panels.

It's still vaporware, though.

I linked to it earlier, but http://www.newdelorean.com/blog/ is the most valid source for new DMC info and it's been silent since June.

There are a lot of interesting renderings of what a modern DMC would look like if they hadn't gone tits up.

dodint
August 27th, 2016, 06:32 AM
Did a little more digging, and that photo was stolen from a design student that was rendering a modern interpretation of the 1965 De Tomaso Mangusta.

http://www.carbodydesign.com/2011/12/mangusta-legacy-concept/

dodint
August 30th, 2016, 11:11 AM
haha: http://www.newdelorean.com/this-is-not-the-2017-delorean/

Over the last week or so, an online article from January of 2016 reporting on the planned low-volume DeLorean production has been making the rounds again on various social media sites.

While the written content of some of the linked articles is fairly accurate, the photo (shown below) that has most often accompanied it is not, by any means, an accurate representation of the planned production car.

http://www.newdelorean.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/notnewdelorean.jpg

dodint
September 6th, 2016, 05:18 AM
When I went to DCS this summer I had dinner with Josh and his Dad. Josh is a Canadian engineer with a lot of free time. He did a really well done LS4 swap into the DMC (I posted some pics in chat a few months ago) and he ended up getting picked up for Regular Car Reviews on the way home from DCS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7f9eZCQc4M

Novi might find it interesting. He's running the LS4 through the stock 5-speed transmission. Found it interesting that 5th gear is basically unusable.

It's easily the best sounding DMC, save for maybe the only other North American LS swap that I posted a picture of earlier in the thread.

dodint
January 17th, 2017, 05:10 PM
Thanks Obama!

Stephen Arrington got his pardon. :lol:, good for him. I met him last summer and listened to him give a lengthy presentation about his journey from jail to the extensive third world charity work he does now.

Arrington was the fall guy in the DeLorean cocaine bust. He drove the cocaine from Florida to California and was arrested when he got there. He refused to testify against anyone and was convicted despite DeLorean getting off because of the entrapment actions of the government.

I have a signed copy of his book. The thing should really be optioned into a movie, he's one of those Forrest Gump kind of guys. Navy SEAL, worked for Jacques Cousteaus company as a diver, was a firefighter, etc.

Here is an old article about him: https://www.newsreview.com/chico/from-convict-to-crusader/content?oid=4326059

From my understanding, up to this point, he's one of the first significant drug related pardons ever. The chances of him getting a pardon was an incredible longs shot, but with Obama handing them out to traitors and murders like candy he managed to snag one. I'll have to drop him a note.

His book:
https://www.amazon.com/DeLoreans-Shadow-Century-Surviving-Defendant/dp/0979957567/

novicius
January 18th, 2017, 03:28 AM
Oh hey, missed that note above -- yeah that's a lovely build. Understandable that it's fragile. :D :up:

TheBenior
January 18th, 2017, 04:51 AM
Thanks Obama!

Stephen Arrington got his pardon. :lol:, good for him. I met him last summer and listened to him give a lengthy presentation about his journey from jail to the extensive third world charity work he does now.

Arrington was the fall guy in the DeLorean cocaine bust. He drove the cocaine from Florida to California and was arrested when he got there. He refused to testify against anyone and was convicted despite DeLorean getting off because of the entrapment actions of the government.

I have a signed copy of his book. The thing should really be optioned into a movie, he's one of those Forrest Gump kind of guys. Navy SEAL, worked for Jacques Cousteaus company as a diver, was a firefighter, etc.

Here is an old article about him: https://www.newsreview.com/chico/from-convict-to-crusader/content?oid=4326059

From my understanding, up to this point, he's one of the first significant drug related pardons ever. The chances of him getting a pardon was an incredible longs shot, but with Obama handing them out to traitors and murders like candy he managed to snag one. I'll have to drop him a note.
Maybe one of the few pardons, but Obama's commuted or reduced sentences on plenty of drug dealers and gang bosses (like this guy (http://wgntv.com/2017/01/18/obama-reduces-sentence-of-gangster-disciples-governor/)). Those are the typical 'non-violent drug offenders' in federal prison that the leftists like to champion.

dodint
November 16th, 2017, 09:28 AM
No more news about the 'New DeLorean' yet.

Looks like they're not going to hit that 2017 production date.

Duh.

dodint
December 3rd, 2017, 07:38 AM
Been wanting to make a chart like this for a while but found one while reading:

DeLorean DMC-12- 130hp / 2712lbs = 20.86lbs per hp
Maserati Merak- 180hp / 3200lbs = 17.78lbs per hp
Chevrolet Corvette- 190hp/ 3307lbs = 17.41lbs per hp
Ferrari Mondial- 205hp / 3500lbs = 17.07lbs per hp
Datsun 280Z Turbo- 180hp / 2960lbs = 16.44lbs per hp
Ferrari 308- 205hp / 3320lbs = 16.20lbs per hp
Porsche 911SC- 172hp / 2700lbs = 15.70lbs per hp
Porsche 928- 220hp / 3351lbs = 15.23lbs per hp

I need to expand it to include cars with a higher ratio to complete the picture though.

Sad, little man
December 3rd, 2017, 08:50 AM
So what you're saying is, the Delorean was a dog?

dodint
December 3rd, 2017, 09:10 AM
You'll note it's (statedly incomplete) data with no argument advanced.

JoshInKC
December 3rd, 2017, 06:01 PM
What about the Porsche 914/6?

dodint
December 3rd, 2017, 06:48 PM
It wasn't a contemporary, but would slot in like this:

Porsche 914/6- 106hp / 2171lbs = 20.48lbs per hp

dodint
December 3rd, 2017, 06:55 PM
Could also be noted that if I buy one now and fit it with the DMCH Stage 2 motor upgrade I would be getting this from an naturally aspirated motor:

DeLorean DMC-12- 197hp / 2712lbs = 13.77lbs per hp

But that isn't really use as to the contemporary comparison, just illustrates what 35 years of tech and a healthy aftermarket can do.

CudaMan
December 3rd, 2017, 08:02 PM
I haven't been paying attention, but has anyone put an LS in one yet? ;)

Kchrpm
December 4th, 2017, 04:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7f9eZCQc4M

dodint
December 4th, 2017, 05:29 AM
I assumed he was being facetious; but if not earlier on the page I mention that I've had dinner with the owner of that particular car and have seen it in person. Very impressive project, he was doing it as part of his college engineering capstone project. There is an LS4 and an LS1 DMC out there that are completely done and running fine, and a bunch of people trying to follow in their footsteps.

I've also seen a 2JZ swap in person which looks super clean given how small that motor is and how wide the engine bay is.

Read something recently that I guess is obvious but I never knew; the PRV6 engine was selected in part because the angle of the cylinders is broader than most V6s, it allows the V6 to sit low enough in the engine bay for the drivers view not be obstructed out of the back, which makes the LS swaps even more impressive. The oil pan for the LS swaps looks precariously low, to me.

CudaMan
December 4th, 2017, 07:37 AM
I for real didn't know. That's awesome. :up:

dodint
December 4th, 2017, 07:51 AM
:up:

Not my cup of tea but I admire the work. I think when you drop an LS into a DMC the narrative shifts from "Oh, a DMC, interesting car" to "Oh, an LS, neat." It works in DMC circles because you need that variance to stand out, but if I'm driving a car that most people might see only once in their lives at a gas station or something I think the LS just really muddles things (if they notice at all).

I'm firmly in the 'build up the PRV6' camp, myself. I in no way denigrate anyone else's efforts with their motor swaps, though.

dodint
December 19th, 2017, 06:57 AM
I'm going to try to work out a deal with the seller of this car: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-DeLorean-DMC-12-STAGE-II/142626650053

If it works out I'll go pick it up on New Years weekend.

The car is exceptional. I've found a good bit of information online about it and talked with some people that have inspected it in person but are not affiliated with the seller (a prior owner was active in the Long Island area DMC club chapter).

If you made a list of 50 things I want to do with a DMC over my ownership, this car has about 45 of them already. The biggest being the Stage II motor/exhaust work which gets the horsepower close to 200, a $9k upgrade at the time. All the work was done by DMC Houston.

Partial list:

New seat covers and carpet
New fuel pump/fuel accumlator/ rebuilt fuel distributor / integrated pump with sender / flushed tank
new brake calipers, ss lines and rotors
new clutch and clutch ss hose and slave cylinder
prem relay kit
Powder coated wheels and new tires
All grounds checked
140 amp alternator
new shift bushings
New radiator
LED door lights
Fascias repainted
New window motors r and L
Bluetooth stereo

Other than having the late flat hood w/stuck on logo it has everything I want and most of the things I wanted to add. Even the interior colors are right.

Going to make my offer on Friday and hope we can come to an agreement.

novicius
December 19th, 2017, 07:41 AM
Wow very cool! :up: :up:

I look forward to reading your Bring-A-Trailer sales post in a year! :lol:

dodint
December 19th, 2017, 07:43 AM
hah.

BaT hates DMCs, but ISWYDT.

I've been wringing my hands about this car a little because it was sold in 2012, 2014, 2016, and now 2018. So you just landed a dart right in my heart, man. :lol:

novicius
December 19th, 2017, 07:46 AM
I kid, I kid. :D :up:

Looks absolutely perfect. Previous owners are looking at it like a flipper car, sounds like.

dodint
December 19th, 2017, 07:46 AM
Oh, Carlo, and anyone else that might care.

Delorean Convention and Show is being held about an hour north west of Chicago in August of 2018, in St. Charles, IL. I will probably go either way, if we wanted to try and organize a little group meet up.

novicius
December 19th, 2017, 07:48 AM
Nice! If I come, I promise not to say the words "LS swap". :rawk:

dodint
December 19th, 2017, 07:50 AM
Josh will almost certainly be there with his LS4, and Nick might bring the LS1. The 2JZ might be back too, who knows.

novicius
December 19th, 2017, 07:52 AM
I meant to you. ;) #hugs

dodint
December 19th, 2017, 07:58 AM
Yeah, I know. Just saying that a DMC show on its face might sound kind of boring, as one make shows can be. But there is a lot of really interesting engineering on display if you have someone there willing to talk endlessly about it...

When I went in 2016 there was a guy there that had made a completely digital dash system. It was a custom made screen that he built as an Android device. He could make any dash configuration he wanted, he mocked up the C4 gauge cluster, for instance. You could also play NES roms with it. :P

dodint
December 19th, 2017, 08:06 AM
I didn't post earlier but I think it's worth noting that the DMC I linked to is also already lowered, which is another costly(ish) mod completed ahead of schedule.

Finding this car is almost like finding the Cobra in that regard.

TheBenior
December 19th, 2017, 02:42 PM
Delorean Convention and Show is being held about an hour north west of Chicago in August of 2018, in St. Charles, IL. I will probably go either way, if we wanted to try and organize a little group meet up.
An excuse to ride my motorcycle out of the city.

novicius
December 21st, 2017, 04:46 AM
Damn good point! :cool: :up:

dodint
December 27th, 2017, 07:32 AM
I always forget how small these are. I never see them against real everyday vehicles, just standing alone or in packs.

http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2794&d=1514392415

novicius
December 27th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Did the 30th arrive early this year? :D :up:

dodint
December 27th, 2017, 07:45 AM
No, this week is dragging like a mofo. Someone posted that and I thought it was interesting. I saw a picture a few weeks ago of one parked next to some Hyundai sedan and the sedan looked YUGE. The DMC is only 13.8ft long. :lol:

novicius
December 27th, 2017, 07:48 AM
Heh that's shorter than my toy by over a foot! :lol:

Leon
December 27th, 2017, 10:01 AM
Heh that's shorter than my toy by over a foot! :lol:

that's what she said

;)

Rare White Ape
December 28th, 2017, 02:23 PM
Nate…

Am I reading this right? You’re going to buy a DeLorean?

Please tell me this is true.

dodint
December 28th, 2017, 02:54 PM
Yeah. Actual details are in my 'Evolution' garage thread, I think. Here out I'll probably only post in this thread to correct the misinformation you guys toss around like gospel. ;)

Rare White Ape
December 28th, 2017, 07:01 PM
:lol:

I can’t wait to know a real DeLorean owner.