PDA

View Full Version : Forza 6: Android Wear 1 Hour of Daytona - Wednesday, February 10th

Kchrpm
February 3rd, 2016, 07:30 AM
Time for our first endurance race!

Date/Time (updated)
Wednesday, February 10th / Free practice starts at 8 pm, Qualifying at 8:30 pm, Race at 9 pm (all times EST (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/usa/cincinnati) and flexible)

Classes
GT (brake assist, traction control and stability control not allowed)
GTA (brake assist, traction control and stability control allowed, 5% power reduction)

Eligible Cars (updated)
GT
All 2010+ GT3/GTLM/GTE Cars (no modifications)

GTA
All 2010+ GT3/GTLM/GTE Cars (no modifications)

All settings are free for adjustment

Races
Daytona International Speedway - 24 Hour Race Configuration - ~35 laps (1 hour; I have to see if 35 is an actual option)
5 lap qualifying session before race

Room Rules (updated)
DAMAGE/FUEL & TIRE CONSUMPTION MUST BE TURNED ON BY EACH PLAYER IN THEIR PERSONAL SETTINGS
Driver aid allowance based on class
2 pit stops must be completed before the start of the last lap

--------------------------

Who's in? What class do you want to be in?

Jason
February 3rd, 2016, 07:35 AM
The name is kind of a turnoff :|

Jason
February 3rd, 2016, 07:36 AM
(GTA)

Tom Servo
February 3rd, 2016, 07:37 AM
Oh man, I'd totally be in for this, but there's no way I can make it in time. It starts about the time I leave work, I'd need it bumped up at least 90 minutes to make qualifying, preferably two hours.

I'm going to have a new boss next week (long story), so no idea if this new boss is as flexible on the working-from-home front as the previous one.

Jason
February 3rd, 2016, 07:40 AM
I can probably do a little later :up:

Kchrpm
February 3rd, 2016, 07:47 AM
Anyone else want/need/able to move the time back?

Freude am Fahren
February 3rd, 2016, 08:32 AM
I normally get home just before 7:30, so I can make it, but I'd be okay with it a little later.

racerfink
February 3rd, 2016, 03:50 PM
GT

As long as it's not Tuesday the 9th, and we start the race by 9:20, I'm good.

Phil_SS
February 4th, 2016, 06:31 AM
I'm sure I can join in. As with others, a little later EST would be better. How bout 9PM?

Gonna have to go into the studio. I can't race without my own paint job.

Kchrpm
February 4th, 2016, 07:31 AM
I will push back all times by an hour :up:

Tom Servo
February 4th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Okay, will try to get there on time, but will likely miss qualifying. And going GT.

Kchrpm
February 4th, 2016, 10:04 AM
With an hour long race and ~6 entrants, I don't think qualifying will be a big deal :)

Jason
February 4th, 2016, 04:27 PM
You'll still finish 100 laps ahead of me :lol:

Freude am Fahren
February 4th, 2016, 05:27 PM
I don't know if a) it's still an issue, or b) anyone here uses it, but we should outlaw manual clutch. None of these cars use it in real life anyway.

racerfink
February 4th, 2016, 08:01 PM
Manual trans makes the car much more stable on downshifts, and manual w/clutch is not really noticeably faster with a full race gearbox, race flywheel, and race clutch.

racerfink
February 5th, 2016, 02:02 AM
I might be able to get a few more people over from the Grassroots Motorsports board to up the numbers.

Kchrpm
February 5th, 2016, 04:47 AM
Short 5-lap test this morning with my medium downforce C7.R (I'm guessing the best setups will be those with the wings laid down) gives a little bit of info: best lap was a 1:50, fuel consumed looked to be about 30%.

So with 35 laps we're looking at maybe two pit stops, and a race time of over 65 minutes. I'll need to go through a whole fuel run this weekend to make sure, if anyone wants to join.

racerfink
February 5th, 2016, 05:30 AM
Hmmm... Do I want you to see what I'm running, time wise and fuel wise, or not...

racerfink
February 5th, 2016, 05:31 AM
Also, are we running at night or day?

Kchrpm
February 5th, 2016, 06:42 AM
Day.

Freude am Fahren
February 5th, 2016, 07:32 AM
I did some testing, and at first my favorite car was the M3 GT2, then I realized it wasn't eligible :lol:

Then I jumped into the Viper and was instantly like 4 second faster than anything else. Then I realized it had the restrictor removed :lol:

All the cars I tested were pretty equal. The Audi was the easiest to drive fast, but lap times were mediocre. The Vette was fast in a straight line and could take the kink flat, but surprisingly didn't put up great lap times. The Viper was a nice balance of speed, handling and drive-ability. The Bentley was definitely the fastest for me, but difficult to drive. Still need to test the Lambo and Z4. Am I forgetting anything?

Kchrpm
February 5th, 2016, 07:42 AM
I haven't gone through and made a list that includes the DLC, but from checking the original car list:

2014 Audi LMS Ultra
2014 Bentley Continental GT3
2014 BMW Z4 GTE
2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7.R
2014 Dodge Viper GTS-R
2014 Ferrari 458 Italia GTE (GTA only)
2011 Ferrari F458 Italia GTC (GTA only)
2011 Mclaren 12C GT3
2014 McLaren 12C GT3
2011 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3
2014 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3
2013 Viper GTS-R

Our testing that showed they were quite close was done at Laguna Seca, COTA and...I forget where else. It is possible that the Bentley is significantly faster on Daytona with the huge long straights...

racerfink
February 5th, 2016, 07:43 AM
McLaren, Mercedes, Ferrari...

racerfink
February 5th, 2016, 07:47 AM
Just as a side note... The 12 hours of Bathurst (with GT-3 cars) is this weekend.

Freude am Fahren
February 5th, 2016, 07:50 AM
Ah yeah, the McLaren and Mercedes. I ignored the Ferrari because of the rules, but maybe I'll check it out anyway.

I was actually a mph or two faster in the Vette than the Bentley going into turn 1. And I had to lift for the Kink in the Bentley, so I don't know where it make up it's time.

Kchrpm
February 5th, 2016, 07:53 AM
The Bentley has massive power, but also massive drag. My guess is that it kicks ass between 100 and 150, but that big face slows it down on the way to peak velocity.

Freude am Fahren
February 5th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Yeah, sounds about right.

Phil_SS
February 5th, 2016, 09:21 AM
The only car you are missing from the list is the 2014 Lamborghin Gallardo LP 570-4 Super Trofeo.

I'm thinking of using it just for the sound.

Kchrpm
February 5th, 2016, 10:16 AM
I had it, and then removed it. They are in a one-make series and I couldn't remember how they lined up with the rest of the cars in testing.

Kchrpm
February 5th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Running a full length test, the Vette stumbled as it accelerated out of the back straight chicane and onto the banking on lap...17. This poses some questions:

1) Is the fuel consumption rate nearly identical for all race cars? Dependent on horsepower, or some other factor?
2) Can you save fuel by short shifting and coasting into turns, or is the fuel use rate not that dynamic?
3) If you CAN save fuel, how slow will you have to go to get a whole extra lap out of a tank? Will you be fast enough to catch the people that make two stops?
4) Should I just make it 32 laps and render the discussion moot?

Freude am Fahren
February 5th, 2016, 08:31 PM
I hope this shows up, did some Livery work and some testing. Managed 17 laps before fuel ran out.

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/Handlers/GetPhoto.ashx?game=fm6&id=2960186&full=true

racerfink
February 5th, 2016, 09:22 PM
The Lambo measures up very favorably.

Kchrpm
February 6th, 2016, 07:27 AM
The image does work for me :up: I would work on a new, fancier paintjob, but I like the one I'm running so much. I actually recreated the logo for her profile page.

Does the Lambo measure up in a "it's too fast" way? On my lap 35 lap race again all Modern GT cars on Unbeatable, most of the cars were near each other in best lap times, except for the ones that weren't eligible (the 2000s cars and the new Super GT Nissan), and one of the Bentleys was about 2 seconds from the rest of the group as well. The post-race screen didn't show the best lap or overall times, though, so I couldn't screen cap them. I'm a little nervous, but hesitant to make any changes just based on what the AI does with all aids on.

Kchrpm
February 6th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Ha, the sim league opening up tomorrow: R, under 880, >2010, Modern GT. I'll be pretty busy this week :up:

Kchrpm
February 6th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Talking to racerfink, he said in his testing with prototypes that fuel mileage barely changes with you driving style, but we also realized this distance works out if you need to make an unplanned stop. As long as you can make it two laps into your first or second stint, you can pit for damage or whatever and still make the end of the race with only 2 stops.

And if one person wants to be super brave and test out their coasting skills, I'm eager to see how it works out :D

Other notes from racerfink's testing: the Bentley is the fastest by a nice margin but squirrely, and the Viper and Lamborghinis are slightly ahead of the pack. I'm torn on if I want to include the AWD Lambos, but if someone really wants to drive one and nothing else I'll likely allow it. I don't want someone stuck in a car they don't like for an hour.

Freude am Fahren
February 6th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Haven't driven the Lambo (or restricted Ferrari) yet, but I drove everything else and they were all with in a second or two :up:

I was most consistent in the Viper, and I love me some Vipers, so I took it. It was probably third or 4th best lap time, but best average for me as I can be pretty inconsistent in my driving.

Jason
February 6th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Ugh, if you're using a Viper, I guess I'll change my car choice ;)

Kchrpm
February 6th, 2016, 06:15 PM
Did 50 laps of testing with racerfink tonight and learned some important things that are going to make minor changes to the regulations.

First off, fuel mileage. It is not consistent between vehicles. The highest and lowest consumption cars we tested were the Ferraris and the Vipers, respectively.

Ferrari = 6.8% of fuel per lap = 238% over 35 laps
Most other cars = ~6% of fuel per lap = 210% over 35 laps
Viper = 5.5% of fuel per lap = 192.5% over 35 laps (it would be the only car that could 1-stop the race)

So instead of shortening the race so that it's a 1-stop length for all cars (the Ferrari could just barely make 28 laps), I'm just making 2-stops mandatory. With significant aero damage still causing a considerable loss of top speed (I lost 15 mph during a test with some psycho AI), this will keep the pit stop flexibility I discussed earlier.

Second off, lap speed. In our previous testing, the Ferraris were consistently faster than everything else, but at Daytona it just doesn't seem to be the case. So the Ferrari is no longer relegated to GTA only!

racerfink
February 7th, 2016, 05:17 AM
Tested the 2011 Merc SLS AMG this morning. 17.5 laps to a tank, 1:47.9. Does about 183 before getting on the brakes for T1, but doesn't seem to pull hard off the infield corners.

Jason
February 8th, 2016, 06:55 AM
Tested the 2011 Merc SLS AMG this morning. 17.5 laps to a tank, 1:47.9. Does about 183 before getting on the brakes for T1, but doesn't seem to pull hard off the infield corners.

:lol:

I won't even tell you guys about my test times. Oh boy.

novicius
February 8th, 2016, 07:44 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah nothing for me to do here. ;)

Jason
February 8th, 2016, 07:54 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah nothing for me to do here. ;)

Wanna have a contest to see who gets lapped the most?

Kchrpm
February 8th, 2016, 08:49 AM
With our current turnout, at this point the classes will be combined, with no restrictions on aids or power penalties.

Phil_SS
February 8th, 2016, 12:42 PM
After taking a few hours to paint up my Lambo, I remembered that my wife and I are going to a wine tasting event and then to dinner for Valentines day. So... yeah, won't be able to make it.

But I will post up pictures of the #66 KONE Gallardo LP 570-4 Super Trofeo. :)

racerfink
February 8th, 2016, 01:05 PM
I'm trying to get some guys from GRM, but so far it's been pretty silent.

Tom Servo
February 10th, 2016, 03:42 PM
Finally got a chance to test a few cars. The Viper times might be suspect as that was the first one I did and I've found better lines since then. So far the only one I've been able to break into the 1:47s with is the 2011 AMG.

Freude am Fahren
February 10th, 2016, 03:56 PM
Just logged in, there's a 100MB update. Expect dalays...

Kchrpm
February 10th, 2016, 04:35 PM
We're about to start qualifying but only three of us are here :(

Tom Servo
February 10th, 2016, 05:54 PM
Aww fuck, I have no idea how I thought this was on Thursday. Even had it in the calendar for Thursday. Shit, sorry guys.

Kchrpm
February 10th, 2016, 06:24 PM
Freude brought home the win, with racerfink in second and me in third.

Jason won GTA!

Jason
February 10th, 2016, 06:27 PM
Championship!

SkylineObsession
February 10th, 2016, 07:49 PM
I was working late. :(

Tom Servo
February 10th, 2016, 08:45 PM
Dammit. I was turning 1:47.3xx pretty consistently in the 2014 AMG, I was looking forward to this. Too far forward, it would appear.

Phil_SS
February 11th, 2016, 04:33 AM
I logged on but it was already 9:45 EST.

Looks like we need another event. :) Maybe Spa or Monza or Sebring?

Kchrpm
February 11th, 2016, 04:53 AM
There has been discussion of mirroring the big endurance races :) For Sebring I'm thinking splitting it up into two races: 30 minutes in the day, 30 minutes in the dark.

Depending on how that goes, you can picture what I want to do for Le Mans :-D

racerfink
February 11th, 2016, 01:53 PM
*cough, cough* BATHURST *cough*

racerfink
February 11th, 2016, 08:47 PM
How many people have the FC2000? That might make an interesting race at Brands Hatch.