PDA

View Full Version : (I'm Gonna Be) 1600 Miles

pl8ster
February 23rd, 2016, 04:06 AM
Did a Thurs-Sun college visit road trip, which was pretty uneventful for the most part. No interesting vehicle sightings, seeing how it was February in the Northeast and all of the good stuff is still presumably put away for the winter. And the plate sightings were surprisingly dull. The numbers:

1600.2 miles
28 new counties visited
26.5 hours of driving
24 beers imported from PA and NY
8 colleges visited
7 states driven through
2 interesting plates seen (NJ New York Press plate, NY Birthplace of Baseball #118)
1 speeding ticket (79 in 65 in south central NY)

Thursday: Scarborough ME - Haskell NJ
Friday: Haskell NJ - Haverford PA - Lancaster PA - New Brunswick NJ - Bethlehem PA
Saturday: Bethlehem PA - Williamsport PA - Rochester NY - Hamilton NY - Albany NY
Sunday: Albany NY - Bennington VT - Manchester NH - Scarborough ME

The New Brunswick detour was necessary because of the tour schedule at the first two schools, but the traffic from there to Bethlehem on Friday evening was life-shortening. Not because it was stop-and-go, but because it was like a NASCAR race with a bunch of amateurs. Lots of 80mph to 50mph braking, and NASCAR-esque following distances.

Aside from that and the speeding ticket, a remarkably boring and very long trip. "I'm getting too old for this shit."

The359
February 23rd, 2016, 06:03 AM
Haha, got to love those narrow Pennsylvania corridor highways, right? How was Lehigh, I presume?

pl8ster
February 23rd, 2016, 06:57 AM
Lehigh was absolutely beautiful. We were there early on Saturday morning so we didn't have an official tour. I don't imagine there are a lot of overweight students there (the main campus is set into the side of a small mountain) and we did see quite a lot of runners.

The359
February 23rd, 2016, 07:13 AM
Bikers too I presume, they love their bikes around here.

I was roaming around Lehigh at the top of the mountain Saturday afternoon so I just missed you.

George
February 23rd, 2016, 08:00 AM
26.5 hours of driving
24 beers imported from PA and NY

Dude, that's almost one per hour. :up:

"I'm getting too old for this shit."

I'd say you've still got what it takes! :toast:

pl8ster
February 23rd, 2016, 11:25 AM
I was roaming around Lehigh at the top of the mountain Saturday afternoon so I just missed you.

Ha, too funny. We probably left around 10AM.