PDA

View Full Version : Genesis?

thesameguy
March 24th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Adding five cars to the Coupe and Sedan is ambitious!

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/23/11294762/genesis-new-york-concept-car-announced-new-york-auto-show-2016

I have to say, this is some genuinely interesting high-design work from Hyundai.

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PjZ_2lleobszeuDTGbVTtKId-CI=/1020x0/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6237079/genesis-new-york-concept-0511.0.png

IMHO, some really interesting thinking and neat takes on otherwise mainstream cues.

The359
March 24th, 2016, 10:26 AM
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/7/73/Alien_charter_captain.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20070315061852&path-prefix=en

Genesis? Genesis forbidden!

(sorry)

MR2 Fan
March 24th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Wasn't Hyundai finally deciding to make Genesis it's own brand, like Lexus and Infiniti? (which they should have done to begin with IMO)

Edit: should have read the article

2ndMoparMan
March 24th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Looks pretty good to me.

Crazed_Insanity
March 24th, 2016, 12:38 PM
I wonder if Hyundai stole a bunch of designers from Audi or something...

Anyway, Hyundais for sure are one of the better looking asian cars... actually I'd give Mazda #1 and Hyundai #2.

And personally after owning a Hyundai for the 1st time, after 2 years of ownership, I'm pretty satisfied with it overall. So besides just the good looks, engineering isn't too bad either. There's just one intermittent AC issue that the dealer's unable to address so far which I find annoying... Probably something wrong with its clutch or something which would end up blowing hot air occasionally..., but the easy fix is to simply step on the gas a bit to turn the AC compressor back on. Hopefully someday this problem can be duplicated in the dealership so that they can fix the damn thing..., but otherwise, yeah, I'd buy another Hyundai in the future.

Their new hybrid(plug-in)EV Ioniq is also interesting. Hybrid version looks helluva lot better than Toyotas and able to do more MPG. Wonder how real that is. That's another Hyundai disappointment, lying about their MPG #s! :p But still, Ioniq looks good.

MR2 Fan
March 24th, 2016, 01:40 PM
I don't like the look of most of the new Hyundais...they still look like other cars but melted in the sun or something.

Crazed_Insanity
March 24th, 2016, 01:51 PM
Do you like the looks of most Toyotas and Hondas?

Compared to the 2 Asian giants, Hyundais are gorgeous. I think they kinda messed up on the new Sonatas, but I really like most of the refreshed Hyundais.

Now Mazda is the only company which I love the looks of all of their vehicles. Too bad I don't quite like the new Miata's rear end, but overall, I still like it very much.

Anyway, it's all subjective. We all find different things attractive. No question that the Koreans stealing customers away from the Japanese.

thesameguy
March 24th, 2016, 03:03 PM
I bet they are stealing business from the Euros, too. Places I go where you'd expect to see little beyond BMWs and Benzes almost always have a Hyundai or Kia now. Kind of amazing.

Yw-slayer
March 25th, 2016, 02:05 AM
The Korean manufacturers are really trying to go full-on German. The Japanese manufacturers retain more of their own character.

drew
March 25th, 2016, 02:42 AM
If they'd put the 420+hp motor in the coupe: take my money.

From a maintenance standpoint, washing that thing would be a nightmare with all the nooks/vents/etc.

The Civic is bad enough, that would suck

Kchrpm
March 25th, 2016, 03:04 AM
I've never considered that...hmm.

Random
March 25th, 2016, 09:00 AM
I wonder if Hyundai stole a bunch of designers from Audi or something...

In case you weren't being facetious: yes, they did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Schreyer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luc_Donckerwolke

Crazed_Insanity
March 25th, 2016, 05:27 PM
Had no idea, I just noticed similar design cues... Thought perhaps they just copied them! :p

shakes
April 2nd, 2016, 09:30 AM
I think Schreyer joining Hyundai was more about being in complete control of the design process than the money. Although I'm sure Hyundai offered him a truckload of it.

But back to the topic, normally I think luxury brands are stupid and pointless. Most manufacturers are platform sharing and everybody is using a lot of the same suppliers for suspension and drivetrain components. There aren't a lot of technologies and features that are specific to luxury brands anymore. What I mean here is that there aren't many things that you can get as an option on a Merc S-Class that you can't get as an option on say a Ford or Honda.

However...Hyundai's biggest challenge right now is overcoming the general public's perception of them as a budget brand. Hyundai is making cars that are just as good as everybody else, but the public still believes that Hyundai makes garbage like the Pony or the Stellar. Perhaps it's easier and less expensive for them to just launch a new brand than it is for them to wait for the public to start thinking differently about 'Hyundai'.