PDA

View Full Version : No Man's Sky

pl8ster
April 8th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Apologies if there is already a thread on this somewhere, but a search didn't turn up anything. I'm afraid to start playing this, because I have a job and I would like to keep it.

"A science-fiction game set in an infinite procedurally-generated galaxy." Which my son tells me means there are billions of planets in the game, each with unique environments and native creatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89K1TqL8tJE&nohtml5=False

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/

21Kid
April 8th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I'm excited. :D Sounds like fun

Yw-slayer
April 8th, 2016, 05:37 PM
Pre-ordered and hoping it gets Oculus support soon.

Rare White Ape
April 8th, 2016, 05:44 PM
Colour me interested, but not engrossingly so.

The first barrier is the price. I'm like a lot of people in thinking that this was a nice casual game you play for a while bereaved there with a nice casual game price, like $20-$30 or thereabouts (in the Journey or Rocket League ballpark). But in the months following its first showing it has expanded into a full-price game but I don't think it's got full-price content yet. It may just be a skewed perception, however.

My second barrier is that the lack of boba-fide space physics for a game set in space will just piss me off. Why can we not have realistically sized solar systems and a realistically shaped galaxy? Huh? I'd like a Kerbal-lite, with good orbital mechanics coupled with a slick seat-of-the-pants navigation system. But that's just my opinion, which I am sure will not detract from anyone else's enjoyment of the game at all.

GreatScawt
April 8th, 2016, 06:21 PM
I'm kind of interested but I still have no idea what you actually do. That and the price means I'm out, for now.

JSGeneral
April 22nd, 2016, 07:37 AM
Pre-ordered the Limited Edition and I'm even purchasing a PS4 for this. I've been following this game since 2013 and it really has sunk it's teeth into me... imagining the vast possibilities that this experience will provide. It's not even YMMV.... it's YMWDV. :)

If you are really interested in "what you actually do"... I suggest checking out this in depth synopsis on Reddit. There is a lot there. https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4didkh/what_do_you_do_in_no_mans_sky_and_other_questions/

Also, IGN has providing new videos and articles recently giving out more information. Here is a vid showing some of the planet diversity that you could encounter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTRi2aEJrgQ

GreatScawt
April 22nd, 2016, 08:35 AM
If you care, you may want to wait for the new PS4 announcement... supposedly getting a big boost in power.

JSGeneral
April 22nd, 2016, 09:27 AM
If you care, you may want to wait for the new PS4 announcement... supposedly getting a big boost in power.

I heard about the new PS4... but I'm not sure if I want to wait. I'm figuring when they were developing this title for so long... the original PS4 was the spec that they were aiming for. Sometimes upping the system can cause unintentional results. /paranoia

That said, here's a new vid that recently came up talking about their art direction and why it isn't using Kerbel-level of realism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JT0LMobgWk

Kchrpm
April 22nd, 2016, 10:08 AM
I'm figuring when they were developing this title for so long... the original PS4 was the spec that they were aiming for. Sometimes upping the system can cause unintentional results. /paranoia

Simply as a counterpoint, the new system is, from what I understand, the same format but with more "horsepower," enough to properly support VR and 4K. I feel like VR will greatly improve No Man's Sky, and the openness of the game could lead to years of gameplay and exploration and therefore might overlap with your future purchase of a 4KTV.

This is not me suggesting you purchase the PS4K, just want to make sure you have a broad picture to look at before making such a large purchase for such a narrow need. #boughtanxboxforForza6

Rare White Ape
April 22nd, 2016, 03:55 PM
#boughtanxboxforForza6

I bought a PS4 for GTA V, which I already owned on PS3.

drew
April 23rd, 2016, 02:11 PM
I bought the PS3 for GT5, and the XB360 for Forza (whatever number it was back then).

between the two consoles, I've had precisely four franchises: Forza, GT, GTA, Saints Row (I did buy Halo (whatever) a couple years ago).

i have exactly none of the games now. In fact, my PS3 is on ebay/CL, and the xbox is just sitting collecting dust.

JSGeneral
April 25th, 2016, 03:43 AM
I bought the PS3 for GT5, and the XB360 for Forza (whatever number it was back then).

between the two consoles, I've had precisely four franchises: Forza, GT, GTA, Saints Row (I did buy Halo (whatever) a couple years ago).

i have exactly none of the games now. In fact, my PS3 is on ebay/CL, and the xbox is just sitting collecting dust.

I bought an original Xbox for Morrowind! :) So I know my tastes are a bit out of the ordinary. It's just that sometimes, there is a game that comes out that calls to me. No Man's Sky has grabbed me. I find it fascinating that such a small studio could make such a vast title that doesn't fit into any already established video-game mold. I hope to be telling you all crazy tales of exploration and survival in this thread in a little less than 2 months.

drew
April 25th, 2016, 04:14 AM
I may just pick this one up. Don't know. The GECK in on the verge of release for Fallout 4, which will (literally) be a game changer.

As well as a giant expansion (Bethesda estimated Far Harbor to be about 3gb, goddamn).

Reynard
May 5th, 2016, 05:18 PM
Yeah I might also but... so many games I get anymore (with a couple of exceptions), I find I play for a couple hours and never go back to them again. I got Starpoint Gemini 2 a month or so ago because it was on sale for around $10. It's pretty damn cool, I'd say slotting nicely in the middle of full sim like Elite Dangerous and full arcade like Rebel Galaxy. But after playing it initially I've yet to go back to it. The only game that constantly compels me to play it now is XCOM 2 just as it's predecessor did for the last couple of years. Just me getting old I guess. ;)

21Kid
May 31st, 2016, 01:06 PM
It's been delayed.

Must have been something pretty significant being this close to release.

Random
May 31st, 2016, 10:07 PM
Sun angle wasn't right at Laguna Seca...

pl8ster
June 1st, 2016, 04:01 AM
All of the spaceships sounded like vacuum cleaners...

Rare White Ape
June 1st, 2016, 01:11 PM
No word about improving A.I. though.

21Kid
June 20th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Seriously (https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/743928033942315009)???

Yay! We finally settled with Sky (they own the word "Sky"). We can call our game No Man's Sky. 3 years of secret stupid legal nonsense over

This is the same folks who made Microsoft change Skydrive to Onedrive... so it was pretty serious

:lol:
On the plus side perhaps this is the real reason Skynet never happened...

JSGeneral
June 20th, 2016, 10:31 AM
http://www.legalloop.co.uk/trade-mark-issue-word-sky-settled-three-years/

SkylineObsession
June 21st, 2016, 07:30 PM
FFS, sick of this trademark nonsense for run of the mill every day names.

Do they think people are as stupid as they are or something? ;)

JSGeneral
June 22nd, 2016, 03:43 AM
FFS, sick of this trademark nonsense for run of the mill every day names...

Fixed your name for you. :)

SkylineObsession
June 22nd, 2016, 04:29 AM
Oh crap, thanks for that! I might go into hiding for a while, maybe they won't notice me. :o

JSGeneral
July 7th, 2016, 12:50 PM
The game has passed cert and gone gold.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/751141699880095745

drew
July 7th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Sweet. 4 weeks....

21Kid
July 8th, 2016, 05:38 AM
Losing interest...

JSGeneral
July 15th, 2016, 04:49 AM
First of 4 new trailers Sony is putting out.

EXPLORE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AVmI73va4g

Rare White Ape
July 15th, 2016, 05:18 PM
The soundtrack for this game is going to be mega. I hope it isn't repetitive tho, as all we've seen in trailers is the same-ish gameplay-context-aware loop.

JSGeneral
July 27th, 2016, 10:14 AM
The soundtrack for this game is going to be mega. I hope it isn't repetitive tho, as all we've seen in trailers is the same-ish gameplay-context-aware loop.

Here are the other 3 trailers. They all have different music from the soundtrack too. Doesn't sound too repetitive...

FIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dOk2uBTYAE

TRADE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Oaf6Ol8U4

SURVIVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jpHldhY_V0

(Okay, maybe your exosuit's AI voice might get repetitive... but what do you expect. Not every AI is Glados.)

JSGeneral
August 8th, 2016, 06:27 AM
The game releases tomorrow! I'm already really excited for this game... but looking at what they were able to put in the game in their "Day 0" update (the patch that is available before the game goes live) is a very stellar list of enhancements:

No Man's Sky 1.03 update notes

The Three Paths – there are now new, unique “paths” you can follow throughout the game. You must start the game on a fresh save, with the patch, as early choices have significant impact on what you see later in the game, and the overall experience.
The Universe – we changed the rules of the universe generation algorithm. Planets have moved. Environments have changed biomes. Galaxies have altered shape. All to create greater variety earlier. Galaxies are now up to 10x larger.
Diversity – Creatures are now more diverse in terms of ecology and densities on planets.
Planets – we’ve added dead moons, low atmosphere and extreme hazardous planets. Extreme hazards include blizzards and dust storms.
Atmosphere – space, night time and day skies are now 4x more varied due to new atmospheric system, which refracts light more accurately to allow for more intense sunsets.
Planet rotation – play testing has made it obvious people are struggling to adjust to this during play so it’s effects have been reduced further…
Terrain generation – caves up to 128m tall are now possible. Geometric anomalies have been added. Underwater erosion now leads to more interesting sea beds.
Ship diversity – a wider variety of ships appear per star system, and are available to purchase. Cargo and installed technology now vary more, and ships have more unique attributes.
Inventory – ship inventories now store 5 times more resources per slot. Suit inventories now store 2.5 times more per slot. This encourages exploration and gives freedom from the beginning. We’re probably going to increase this even further in the next update, for people in the latter game phases, and will allow greater trading potential.
Trading – trading is deeper. Star systems and planets each have their own wants and needs, based off a galactic economy. Observing these is the key to successful trading. We still working on adjusting this based on how everyone plays, but all trading values have been rebalanced across the galaxy, giving a greater depth. A bunch of trade exploits were uncovered and have been removed
Feeding – creatures now have their own diet, based on planet and climate. Feeding them correctly will yield different results per species, such as mining for you, protecting the player, becoming pets, alerting you to rare loot or pooping valuable resources.
Survival – recharging hazard protection requires rare resources, making shielding shards useful again. Storms can be deadly. Hazard protection and suit upgrades have been added. Liquids are often more dangerous
Graphical effects – Lighting and texture resolution have been improved. Shadow quality has doubled. Temporal AA didn’t make it in time, but it’s so close
Balancing – several hundred upgrades have had stat changes (mainly exo-suit and ship, but also weapon), new upgrades have been added.
Combat – Auto Aim and weapon aim has been completely rewritten to feel more gentle in general, but stickier when you need it. Sentinels now alert each other, if they haven’t been dealt with quickly. Quad and Walker AI is now much more challenging, even I struggle with them without a powered up weapon.
Space Combat – advanced techniques have been introduced, like brake drifting and critical hits. Bounty missions and larger battles now occur. Pirate frequency has been increased, as well as difficulty depending on your cargo.
Exploits – infinite warp cell exploit and rare goods trading exploit among other removed. People using these cheats were ruining the game for themselves, but people are weird and can’t stop themselves ¯_(シ)_/¯
Stability – foundations for buildings on super large planets. Resolved several low repro crashes, in particular when player warped further than 256 light years in one session (was only possible due to warp cell exploit above).
Space Stations – interiors are now more varied, bars, trade rooms and hydroponic labs have been added
Networking – Ability to scan star systems other players have discovered on the Galactic Map, increasing the chance of collision. Star systems discovered by other players appear during Galactic Map flight
Ship scanning – scanning for points of interest from your ship is now possible. Buildings generate earlier and show up in ship scans
Flying over terrain – pop-in and shadow artefacts have been reduced. Generation speed has been increased two fold (planets with large bodies of water will be targeted in next update)
Writing – The Atlas path has been rewritten by James Swallow (writer on Deus Ex) and me. I think it speaks to the over-arching theme of player freedom more clearly now. Early mission text has been rewritten to allow for multiple endings.

I hope to be sharing my adventures with you, and hopefully hearing of some of your own soon.

novicius
August 8th, 2016, 08:29 AM
:up: :up:

21Kid
August 8th, 2016, 09:21 AM
:o Wow

drew
August 8th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Steam says not until the 12th. Fuckers.

Phil_SS
August 8th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Yeah. PC is releasing worldwide at the same time. So they pushed it to Friday.

Dicknose
August 9th, 2016, 03:38 PM
I'm in...
(Ok I'm at a screen that says Initialise, got to tap the square button)

Dicknose
August 9th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Oh entering my redeem code for bonus goodies...
(15 mins of update and stuff and I haven't started the game)

Phil_SS
August 9th, 2016, 04:26 PM
It appears it is a single player game. Two people "found" each other but could not see each other.

Still looks really cool. :)

Dicknose
August 11th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Not that impressed. The controls feel a bit odd, for the PS4 there is a lot of "mouse over".
The "action" feels very repetitive and so far it hasn't grabbed me. You collect and trade resources and it just starts to feel like hard work. The exploration isn't that amazing, I've done about a dozen planets/moons and they all felt very similar. Oh wow this place is hot/cold/radiated and that's killing me, but the look feel was similar. Haven't found anything that jumped out as interesting.
Some bits feel like they are lifted from an 80s text adventure, "you meet an alien who looks angry". Yes that lame, with some fixed animation. All these meet alien feel similar and you can ignore the text mostly. That seems very out dated.

21Kid
August 12th, 2016, 07:51 AM
http://www.ign.com/wikis/no-mans-sky/Tips_and_Tricks

Secret Controls
MELEE ATTACK
DODGE / DASH
SWITCH WEAPON MODE
ROLL YOUR SHIP
FLASHLIGHT
RESTORE HUD
VISOR ZOOM
Getting Around
LONG JUMP
ANALYZE EVERYTHING
BUILD A BETTER BODY
KEEP PLUTONIUM HANDY
CUSTOM WAYPOINTS
SCAN STAR SYSTEMS
Resource Gathering
SCAN FOR VALUABLES
THE CRYSTAL METHOD
MINING BEAM COOLDOWN REDUCTION
Inventory Management
UPGRADE SUIT INVENTORY
SUIT VS SHIP

Yw-slayer
August 12th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Still waiting for it to unlock...

drew
August 12th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Yep. Steam said 1pm EST.

which is moot, since I won't be able to look at it until about 6 anyway.

Yw-slayer
August 12th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Downloading the nowz.

drew
August 12th, 2016, 12:44 PM
Gonna fire this bitch up in a few.

Yw-slayer
August 12th, 2016, 08:40 PM
It's good, although the inventory system and palette is giving me horrible Destiny flashbacks.

Dicknose
August 14th, 2016, 12:00 AM
Stayed with it and some of the "what the hell am I doing?" Has gone.
Starting to progress, upgrade stuff and feel that I'm getting somewhere (worked out asteroid mining!) and I enjoyed my last few hours a lot more.
But still a lot that feels like it's very out of date.

I'm probably setting a tough level of expectation coming from Fallout 4, which I just did my 3rd play thru (to finally get all trophies)

The physics is busted, way too many floating lumps of rock.
Maybe I need to google and see if there are some good hints, but it would be nice to be able to operate the whole thing without feeling like it random button presses. It's as much an exploration of the universe as it is of their menus.

Yw-slayer
August 14th, 2016, 02:24 AM
Is there any asteroid mining you can do other than shooting them? I am enjoying it so far but admittedly DOOM and tap tap games are the last few games I've played.

drew
August 14th, 2016, 08:26 AM
Stayed with it and some of the "what the hell am I doing?" Has gone.
Starting to progress, upgrade stuff and feel that I'm getting somewhere (worked out asteroid mining!) and I enjoyed my last few hours a lot more.
But still a lot that feels like it's very out of date.

I'm probably setting a tough level of expectation coming from Fallout 4, which I just did my 3rd play thru (to finally get all trophies)

The physics is busted, way too many floating lumps of rock.
Maybe I need to google and see if there are some good hints, but it would be nice to be able to operate the whole thing without feeling like it random button presses. It's as much an exploration of the universe as it is of their menus.

With you on all account. I just finished my 6th play through of Fallout 4 (ack).

I've got 4 hours in NMS so far, still on the original planet I started on, trying to get a feel of things.

I'm using a controller, but, I remapped the fire button to the right trigger. Which, is also the "launch/accelerate" button when flying. Thus, it needs re-mapped, some how, because there's no acceleration.

Still way more to learn. I'm hoping there's some tweaks, because it's pretty choppy here and there (which, I wouldn't think it'd me more graphically demanding that F04 with 6gb of 4k textures and running ENB+resahde at 1440p on ultra).

But, stranger things have happened.

I need to try and find a controls tweak. I haven't looked in the game's directory, but (very optimistically) I'm hoping since it's an indie, there may be some simplicity to the files.

We shall see.

drew
August 14th, 2016, 05:39 PM
Fucking hell. First day: 11 hours. I need a life.

Yw-slayer
August 14th, 2016, 06:42 PM
It is a great game. My daughter watches me play and helps me suggest names for Animals and Plants. So if you see something named "BlueberryFlower" somewhere... although I did manage to suggest something very slightly more inspiring than "GreenRock".

A bit of shimmering and pop-up when flying, and the frame rate does dip below 30 at times, but I am running it with 4x AA at 3440x1440, and I "only" have a GTX970.

Oh, and M/K for land stuff, PS4 controller for flying ALL THE WAY.

drew
August 15th, 2016, 02:45 AM
I forgot about the naming of animals and shit...

Right now, I'm on a mission to get a better ship. I farmed/mined a shit ton of "Emiril" (which sells for about 350/unit), and bought a 1.1M ship with 22 slots. My exosuit is up to 19 slots, but it's still not enough..

That being said, try this for your graphical whoas:

Enable borderless full screen
Disable VSync in-game and also force VSync through AMD/NVidia Control Panel
Enable Open GL Triple Buffering in NVidia/AMD Control Panel
Set FPS to Max – Any other setting will cause poor/low performance
Set Anisotropic Filtering to 1 in-game and force 16x AF through NVidia/AMD Control Panel

When you installed the game, the Gsync option enabled as default. You must disable it to improve framerates. Just go to game folder, No Man’s Sky\Binaries\Settings. Locate the file TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML and open it with any text editor. Now search for the Gsync option, change its value True to False.

This seemed to have worked for me. There's very little stutter (was pretty awful before).

There still seems to be the popup issue when flying, but I'm sure that's not something any teaks like this can help.

I hope that this game is popular enough, that someone (Boris) develops an ENB for it. Something lightweight, but also something that takes off some of the cartoony look of it.

All that said, I can foresee this one being played a lot.

Rare White Ape
August 15th, 2016, 03:26 AM
All that said, I can foresee this one being played a lot.

I'm still on the fents about this game. Quotes like the above very much endorse the game, while a lot of everything else said about it calls it boring. One YouTube video I saw said it was a hundred miles wide, but only an inch deep. So far it seems like: land on planet, explore planet, gather resources, rinse, repeat, and all of the planets I've seen so far have the same dull fluoro pinkish/greenish/purplish hue. How much exploring and discovering can one do before they get bored and want to shoot the tits off everything?

It has only been five days since it was released, so it's far too early to say. Who knows? With community feedback the devs could shape it into something really neat and change it from a worthy $20 purchase in six months time to a worthy $45 purchase in three months time. Or it might already have a freakishly interesting end-game built in that nobody has found yet.

Only time will tell. Will I buy it?

WHO KNOWS?!?!?!?

animalica
August 15th, 2016, 03:55 AM
I like open worlds and exploring but I`m not too much into spacecraft and science fiction.
I will buy it once it comes down to 20 Euro - GOTY with DLC and bugs flattened out?

drew
August 15th, 2016, 07:54 AM
There is a story to it, apparently. Not that I pay much attention to that at the time.

I'm focusing on better ships (which, tends to fall into the repetitive category, for now (think "farming").

The aspect of learning words (albeit, one at a time) with the locals is somewhat intriguing. But fuck knows how long you'd have to go to understand one interaction with one.

Kchrpm
August 15th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Did anyone ever really think there was going to be deep gameplay in a game developed by 15 people and containing 18 quintillion planets? It's the next step in the line of fly-through-the-universe games, which AFAIK before you could only fly-by/orbit planets.

Tom Servo
August 15th, 2016, 09:57 AM
This just makes me want an updated version of Star Control II.

novicius
August 15th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Did anyone ever really think there was going to be deep gameplay in a game developed by 15 people and containing 18 quintillion planets? It's the next step in the line of fly-through-the-universe games, which AFAIK before you could only fly-by/orbit planets.
Heh, Destiny was developed by a 500+ person dev army with tens of millions of dollars and only four planets (+1 moon!) -- and has about as developed a plot and even more shallow gameplay. :lol:

(Phil! You know it's true!! ♡ ♡ ♡ )

Jason
August 15th, 2016, 10:28 AM
So I just found out about this game today (I live under a rock), and the initial things sounded super awesome (explore an unlimited amount of planets! fly through space!)

But now that I'm reading more, it sounds like its heavy on item farming, trading, and battles?

Is there a way to play the game where I don't need to worry about the above, and simply explore different planets and look around and stuff? Or is that considered too lame for the gaming community to be included?

novicius
August 15th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Sure -- Cam is playing that one (http://gtxforums.net/showthread.php?1249-Elite-Dangerous).

Kchrpm
August 15th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Elite: Dangerous doesn't let you land on planets, I thought, and still requires that you get resources to fuel/upgrade your ship.

Phil_SS
August 15th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Heh, Destiny was developed by a 500+ person dev army with tens of millions of dollars and only four planets (+1 moon!) -- and has about as developed a plot and even more shallow gameplay. :lol:

(Phil! You know it's true!! ♡ ♡ ♡ )

Did YW hijack your account? :p

NMS looks nowhere near as good as Destiny. It's not even close. It's like comparing a Xbox game to a XboxOne game. BUt I'll give them a break on that due to the 15 people and procedural planet inception.

While I would agree that Vanilla Destiny did not have a well defined story or plot I wouldn't say that now. The expansions, especially TTK, have really shaped the story and plot. Plus the Grimiore has a fantastic wealth of backstory, just not in an easily accessible form. NMS has no back story or plot. None ...zero.

And how could you say NMS has more complex gameplay. That is just batshit crazy. Let me know when NMS has Raid style mechanics or gunplay like Destiny. And let me know when you can play multiplayer in NMS. :)

That being said, NMS still looks like a damn fun game. :rawk:

novicius
August 15th, 2016, 01:55 PM
On one hand I could simply say "TRIGGERED!!1!". :lol:

On the other hand I think it's only fair to compare it to vanilla Day 1 Destiny.

When I say Destiny had more shallow gameplay, I mean that there was arguably less to actually *do* in Destiny. I am not at all implying that NMS' quality of gameplay is better or that it's better-looking -- it's obviously not.

But other than shoot aliens, collect simple non-combinatory elements or play dress-up, there wasn't many options in Destiny past completing the *story* (I am NOT talking about Destiny Lore, note the distinction). All that was left was the grind through areas and enemies that you've seen/played before.

Destiny is only arguably sandbox gaming, while NWS is the biggest (not the DEEPEST) sandbox game.

novicius
August 15th, 2016, 02:07 PM
Elite: Dangerous doesn't let you land on planets, I thought, and still requires that you get resources to fuel/upgrade your ship.
All true. Doesn't fit Jason's desire if he wants to land on planets and walk around.

Jason
August 15th, 2016, 02:09 PM
NMS needs to allow an offline 'easy mode'. I don't want to name planets or whatever, so no harm in giving the offline god mode to me. Kthx.

Yw-slayer
August 15th, 2016, 07:35 PM
You don't NEED to name planets. The game auto-gens names for everything you scan (which admittedly you should do in order to get credits) and you can just upload those auto-generated names if you don't want to come up with one of your own. I think after you do the first few missions and get Hyperdrive you can probably do anything you want, including exploring planets, but you will need to visit a planet every now and then in order to get some resources.

drew
August 15th, 2016, 08:31 PM
HY[er drives (and re-stocking them) come at an inconvenience.

Unless you get lucky, and get the "recipes" for the anti-matter, fluid, and the other shit, you'll be spending a small fortune buying the shit.

Some how, I ended up with the recipe of all components to be made with raw resources all the way through warp cell.

That still is moot, if you dont have the resources...

Dicknose
August 15th, 2016, 10:19 PM
I've had it crash my ps4 3 times, only crash it's ever had!

The wide but 1 inch deep is a good description.

I found a place with a store and nearby caves loaded with big cash items, made 5 million in about an hour real time. Got a nice 32 slot ship.

Finding a bit more and still enjoying it, but it doesn't have the depth or even general wow factor of skyrim/fallout.

Haven't named much, a few planets are Noseum X

drew
August 16th, 2016, 02:47 AM
I'm upgrading ships slowly/steadily for free. I saw one at a trading station with 38 slots, but it was 45M... yeah...right.

I'm up to 27 on my current ship, and only bought one (for 15-16 slots) for 1.1M many hours ago.

I wish there was a faster way to mine out the huge deposits. That's the laborious part to me.

I'm on a planet now with Emeril deposits seemingly every 20 feet. But I need to find a trading port.

Drachen596
August 16th, 2016, 02:57 AM
Elite Dangerous has an expansion to the main game that allows landing and exploring of planets including gathering materials and such. its part of the Horizons package.

PC only and there's a 'all in one' pack along with some paint scheme stuff for 60 bucks.

NMS videos I've watched are very pretty non blocky minecraft seeming to me.

Rare White Ape
August 16th, 2016, 04:12 AM
NMS videos I've watched are very pretty non blocky minecraft seeming to me.

Pretty close to the mark there, as Digital Foundry, erm… found.

Please, you watch:

https://youtu.be/zzL6q1n4ijk

Yw-slayer
August 16th, 2016, 04:37 AM
But the complaint about the Elite add-on was, I think, that it only let you land on planets. There was nothing to do on them.

drew
August 16th, 2016, 09:12 AM
I'm actually having fun working to get a better ship. A combination of chasing down crashed ones, to mining. I'm up to 4M, which is way short of getting anything remotely worthwhile.

Mining is a pain in the dick, even with a fully upgraded mining laser (to this point). The trick is to mine as long as you can, just before it overheats, then lob a grenade into the mass. This serves two purposes:

1: the grenade interrupts the laser long enough that it doesn't overheat and need to cool down: continous mining.
2: it also craters the fuck out of what you're mining, so every action yields more rocks in your bag.

Still, it's a pain in the ass. The moon I'm on now is riddled with Emeril columns and plenty of caves with some kind of "pearl" thing in them, at 26k each when you sell them.

That being said, the pearls take one slot in the inventory for 26k, while the same one full of Emeril is at least twice that. But, the mining is much slower (but, but, the pearls require sentinel avoidance, as you get lit up 100% of the time stealing one).

Tactic: land as close to a cave as you can, go in, and open them on your way into the cave. Once you have 4-5 "open", run back towards the cave entrance collecting them as you go. This saves/buys you time not having to open the cocoons while being chased by a mechbot fucking thing.

The pearl thing is much quicker, provided you don't get lost in the fucking cave for 4 hours (ask me how I know).

Oh yeah, noon here, and I'm at 27 hours played (started playing Sunday morning). WTF.

21Kid
August 16th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Don't forget to blink!!!

drew
August 16th, 2016, 11:47 AM
I'm sure my eyes will just fail to stay open soon. So it'll work itself out...

Yw-slayer
August 17th, 2016, 08:12 AM
Farmed a bunch of exosuit slots. Named Star System ZigAZigAh. 10/10 would play again.

drew
August 17th, 2016, 11:41 AM
:up:

I tried to name some chicken/ostrich looking thing a "Turduckin" and the profanity filter red flagged it.

Bit disappointed, I should have tried "FuckyMcFuckface" first.

One legitimate gripe is the glaring lack of any sort of map, either local/planet level, especially where you can navpoint a trade port/etc to sell shit, the galactic map is infuriating as well. Since it reverses your inverted Y axis, which makes navigation in the "map" a pain in the ass.

Currently in a 41-slot ship, I've only gotten the suit up to about 33 or so.

Ship first, then max it's guns/shit out, then suit, then fly all over fuck.

Kchrpm
August 17th, 2016, 11:47 AM
And record videos to post so the rest of us can explore vicariously.

Yw-slayer
August 17th, 2016, 06:05 PM
I've been doing suit only because once i have my hyperdrive sorted i can immediately swap to my sweet preorder ship.

I have found that this Playlist matches the game very well:
Credence
Beach Boys
Deep Purple
Hendrix

Might also throw in some early Aerosmith and some AC/DC.

drew
August 18th, 2016, 04:10 AM
I've never really listened to music/soundtracks while playing games. With one notable exception: X3 The Reunion. I replaced all 110 tracks (or so) with the BSG Series soundtrack.

Total pain in the ass, but in the end, it made it all that much better.

If/when they crack into the files and figure that shit out, I [I]may[I] repeat.

I found a reshade for it, and it looks much better now as well.

Update on actual game play: ship is at 44 slots. I'm looking for multi tools in my ship scouting as well.

Once it's all maxed out (ship/tool/suit), then I'll start wandering. My ship doesn't even have guns on it (ones that work anyway). It's bare bones with ship repair supplies on it.

Yw-slayer
August 18th, 2016, 08:51 AM
I just run Spotify in the background and turn off the in-game music.

44 slots! Nice one!

I did see that you can apparently max out your slots even by just exploring only the first planet. But where's the fun in that?

drew
August 18th, 2016, 02:23 PM
I did it in a "system". Suit/Ship are now 48 each.

I'm stuck on 17 with the tool though.... Can't find them anywhere.

That being said, I did read/try a trick with the "companion units" (upgrades to ship.suit/tool). If you have them adjacent to each other in the inventory, they stack bonuses on top of each other

For example, if you have the ships Shield upgrades (Sigma, Tau, Theta), and arrange them so they're all "touching" in the inventory, it should highlight them all with a color, which means they're benefits are compiled together.

Wish I'd known that earlier, since you can't move the upgrades, only the shit you pick up....

Dicknose
August 18th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Cool to know

Yw-slayer
August 18th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Nice! Thanks for the tip.

Suit slots you can always find in Drop Pods. Just scan for Shelters non-stop using Bypass Chips and you'll be ok. It gets costly later though.

drew
August 19th, 2016, 02:54 AM
Yep. Ship upgrades are similary simple (and cheaper).

The Suit upgrades start with your second one (first is free) starting at 10k, and the last one (48th slot) being about 350k, or, about 6.25M. So you'll be farming quite a bit.

I actually started over. For some reason, I was getting a CTD whenever I'd try to open the galaxy map.

I started a new game to see if it worked in that, and, it does. But, I still don't know if it's an issue with my original save, or the original save + the update that came out yesterday.

All told, I don't mind starting over at this point, since I know a shitload more than I did originally (took 30 minutes to get the ship off the ground this time, instead of 5 hours).

Still sucks a bit, since I'd been into the original one 48 hours (again, since Sunday morning)... ack

What costs you "units" are suit and tool upgrades, unless you're lucky enough to find the tool upgrades at monoliths. In the original game, I was able to answer the question correctly and got a new tool with 3 more slots than the one I had. Those max at 24, if you're wondering. :)

Yw-slayer
August 19th, 2016, 10:14 AM
24?! I recently found one with 14 and was overjoyed.

drew
August 19th, 2016, 11:08 AM
The good thing is, the tool upgrades 2 slots at a time.

I got lucky a couple times and got one for free by answering correctly. They run about 150-190k for the biggest ones.

All told, between the Suit and tool upgrading, it'll cost you about 7M. just to be on the safe side.

Moved to a third planet in my starting system, tool's at 12, suit is at 15 and ship is at 23, which I jumped from an 18-slot to it for 900k at a trading station. The first planet I started on (this time) was fairly "nice" weather wise. starter suit/life support would last many minutes before needing re-juiced (been on another one that you were wiped out in 30 seconds). It also had gold everywhere. So even with a cracker box ship, you could get some good returns.

novicius
August 19th, 2016, 02:30 PM
I'm lovin' the play-by-play Drew. :up: :up:

drew
August 19th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Since 10am EST Sunday:

Jesus christ.

Jason
August 20th, 2016, 08:04 AM
Maybe I shouldn't get this...

Tom Servo
August 20th, 2016, 08:51 PM
The game releases tomorrow! I'm already really excited for this game...

I hope to be sharing my adventures with you, and hopefully hearing of some of your own soon.

Either he's not into it or RIP JSGeneral?

drew
August 21st, 2016, 03:04 AM
Or maybe he's passed out on the keyboard.

JSGeneral
August 22nd, 2016, 05:16 AM
Either he's not into it or RIP JSGeneral?

Heh. No I'm still here. Enjoying this game as I take it pretty slow. I've only warped to one other system... have learned about 200 Korvax words... and discovered all the life on 5 or so planets. The game is a beaut, and I really enjoy walking on planets. The Titanfall-esque boost-jump walk (melee attack and then immediately using your jetpack) is the best way to travel. I feel like a superhero, able to leap over far chasms.

I don't go into caves that much, but only because I wish they would get DARKER the deeper you go, but they do not. It would of been cool to have to use that helmet lamp (up on d-pad) to light your way... and maybe find some creepy aliens down there... Kinda like the movie The Descent. Alas, it's a wish... I get that.

So I'm just happy boost-jumping around off of beautiful cliffs... sometimes not making it to the other side and sorta falling a la Wile E Coyote. Fun stuff.

That said, there is a review out there that I agree with. I am enjoying my adventure (and keeping the pace slow) but this game was NOT what was promised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTTPlqK8AnY

drew
August 22nd, 2016, 12:30 PM
My only major gripe is the space combat. While your ship turns like a pig, you're always trailing the swarm of assholes shooting at you.

Add to that, the disabling of the pulse drive (both small boost and the big one), when in combat, it can fuck off.

Not that it could save you anyway, since you can get scanned then "ermagerd, they're coming for your shit" message, and your lovely sub-warp travel is halted, and you're set to a crawl.

Carl Sagan message, and then you fly to your grave.

It's frustrating as fuck.

novicius
August 22nd, 2016, 01:51 PM
RE: JSG's vid. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phil, I'm sorry, you were right -- even vanilla Destiny shits all over this game. :lol: :up:

drew
August 22nd, 2016, 03:25 PM
As an update, my original save finally allowed me to jump, but, I abandoned it. I'm finding it more entertaining trying to scheme my way to millions, as opposed to just finding a tower, a crashed ship, claim, repeat.

So, while I had 50 hours in the original start, and a maxed 40-slot suit and ship, I'm now 28 hours into my second go with a 33 suit and 25 ship. Monetarily, both games are at the same bank amount. Which is "not-fucking-enough-to-do-shit".

While I'm at 78 hours after 7 days, shit's going to settle soon. That being said, I was just shy of 1200 hours in Fallout 4 from mid-december through last week. Do that math...

JSGeneral
August 23rd, 2016, 03:58 AM
I have the PS4 version... but the PC community is really stepping up to the plate at making this game better. Sure wish this was available to me, but it looks awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQl2nyzNsmU

Basically, collisions with the surface can now happen. Lowflying passes in canyons. Being able to manually undulate your ship with the terrain. Crash landing!! :up: :up: :up: Unfortunately you respawn at the last space station again, but we're getting close. Close to some day being Spaceman Spiff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiu9Uud466s

(At least for PC.)

novicius
August 23rd, 2016, 04:08 AM
Well Fallout mods are out for the XBONE and are coming to PS4 so never say never -- here's hoping that the PC mod community really throws themselves into the game and finishes it! :up: :up:

Rare White Ape
August 23rd, 2016, 06:10 AM
If I relied on mods I simply wouldn't get it for console.

Kerbal Space Program is half the game without the plethora of mods available. Apparently Squad will be porting the best mods to the console versions in dribs and drabs but it just isn't enough for me, which is why the PS4 version will remain un-purchased by me.

How does YW put it? Something like PC M4573R R4C3 4 LYF3 y0

Yw-slayer
August 23rd, 2016, 06:21 AM
Yeah, pretty much.

21Kid
August 23rd, 2016, 09:31 AM
I have the PS4 version... but the PC community is really stepping up to the plate at making this game better. Sure wish this was available to me, but it looks awesome.

Basically, collisions with the surface can now happen. Lowflying passes in canyons. Being able to manually undulate your ship with the terrain. Crash landing!! :up: :up: :up: Unfortunately you respawn at the last space station again, but we're getting close. Close to some day being Spaceman Spiff...

(At least for PC.)

Yeah, if I were to get this game... It would have to be on PC.

drew
August 23rd, 2016, 02:00 PM
I installed the low flight mod today. First thing I did was pulse-drive'd myself into the planet, because it no longer slows you down.

Dicknose
August 23rd, 2016, 03:37 PM
I wonder if stuff was changed, like the "observatory". You pass the rotating code test and it searches. It gives a message like "deep in space" or "light years away" but then finds something on the same planet, just like the signal scan.
Could it be this was meant to find stars or planets?

Would be nice if you could scan and get planet info (life forms, weather, maybe even major resources) while in space.
I've been in the situation of needing a given material and having to try several planets to find it.

drew
August 23rd, 2016, 03:55 PM
It's also be nice to have the ability to scan asteroids in a given system. Since all the main elemental resources exist as asteroids, it'd be nice to know what something was before you lobbed some shots at it, only to find out it's fucking iron, and not gold/etc.

Rare White Ape
August 24th, 2016, 12:30 AM
Brutal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wsFhv_Kz38

Yw-slayer
August 24th, 2016, 01:55 AM
It's also be nice to have the ability to scan asteroids in a given system. Since all the main elemental resources exist as asteroids, it'd be nice to know what something was before you lobbed some shots at it, only to find out it's fucking iron, and not gold/etc.

That, and scanning planets so that they said "Above average quantities of MATERIAL" would be good ideas.

drew
August 24th, 2016, 08:46 AM
Meh. I'm having fun with it. Even if it may get a little boring.

It is fun when you get lost in a cave though. After a "goddamn it", just plasma grenade a hole through the ceiling til you see daylight, and jet pack out. :up:

Yw-slayer
August 24th, 2016, 04:42 PM
I haven't upgraded to grenades yet.

I did find a station which buys plutonium and heridium at nearly 100% over market. Gave the system an indicative name and called the planet STAAAATIIIOONNN

drew
August 24th, 2016, 04:56 PM
I've been naming planets accordingly as well. I found one station that frequently had passersby selling unstable plasma at 2x the going rate. So I made a run to the planet to get the materials to make as many as my shitty ship would hold (and mining asteroids on the way back).

I found one planet with Sac Venom (30k each at 1x price), littered all over it. The best part is, the planet is only about 20 seconds pulse drive from the station.

I may whore that out for a bit.

I think I discovered a process with the ships. I'm currently at a 25 slot hold, and ships in the station generally are in the 33-39 slot range (also ranging from 4M to 17M in cost), but I can't seem to find anything bigger than 39 right now.

My theory is, to buy one that's bigger than what I have now, and stock up, and buy up from that, hopefully at some point being a 48-slot ship. Chances are, I'll need to have about 30M in the bank to try.

Reynard
August 24th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Yep, after reading & watching some reviews after the release and reading this thread, I know this is not the game for me. I actually bought the "Horizons" package for Elite a few weeks ago when it was half price and am planning on getting back into that for a while (I hope). Regardless, I figured for those here who are into NMS and on PC, you may want to check out Empyrion Galactic Survival (empyriongame.com) if you already haven't. People seem to really like it and it often pops up on sale in my recommendations on Steam for less then $20. I see a lot of comments along the lines of this is what NMS should have been etc. and that's why I wanted to mention it.

Random steam user review quote I grabbed for RWA. " flipped a motorcycle into a lake and forgot how to put my helmet back on and drowned, 10/10 would do again"

Yw-slayer
August 25th, 2016, 12:31 AM
This game is fine if you treat it like meditation (but a bit more frustrating). Put on some classic rock or music you want to listen to, do some farming, explore the storyline bit by bit. Relax.

Last night I finally found a planet with tons of wildlife on it, including some weird flying animals (couldn't figure out how to scan or shoot them though?) and storms. That was cool. Before that it had mainly been the same similar-looking proc-gen plants (to the extent that my daughter said indignantly "We already named that plant as the BlueberryFlower!") and was getting slightly tedious.

I also got destroyed by pirates on the way to the STAATTIOOONN to offload my loot, as I was a bit off with the controls, but it's all good.

Admittedly I can't see myself playing it after I'm done with the main storyline.

Dicknose
August 25th, 2016, 04:15 AM
If you die you can go back and collect loot from your grave

Dicknose
August 25th, 2016, 04:21 AM
I found one planet with Sac Venom (30k each at 1x price), littered all over it. The best part is, the planet is only about 20 seconds pulse drive from the station.

I may whore that out for a bit.
Try to find somewhere to sell on the planet, clear out all the cool loot by foot.
Can make a few million quickly.
I did a good run on vortex, grab about 15 run back to sell, go deeper in cave and get more.

21Kid
August 25th, 2016, 05:41 AM
Admittedly I can't see myself playing it after I'm done with the main storyline.

There's a story? :?

drew
August 25th, 2016, 07:10 AM
Try to find somewhere to sell on the planet, clear out all the cool loot by foot.
Can make a few million quickly.
I did a good run on vortex, grab about 15 run back to sell, go deeper in cave and get more.

I timed it. With my current ship/suit, I can get about 1.2M in 15-20 minutes. Leave station, blast to planet, load up, return, repeat. What delays you are the fucking robocops that get mad after you get the first one. The side benefit to that though, is you get titanium from them, which you can use to recharge your shields (it's a shitty hell-like planet with 292C storms every 13 seconds).

Yw-slayer
August 25th, 2016, 08:30 AM
If you die you can go back and collect loot from your grave

Exactly.

Story? Yeah, a bit. Not much better at the moment than Destiny Space Wizard blah blah blah but at least it doesn't try too hard.

novicius
August 25th, 2016, 10:00 AM
As I recall it wasn't the lack of story that really turned you off YW, it was the HoW DLC wiping out months of grinding.

That is something that I bet happens to NMS as well as Hello Games tweaks their incomplete baby.

Kchrpm
August 25th, 2016, 10:44 AM
You think so? With no multiplayer/co-op, there's less reason to balance things, yes? Do the, uh, space cops have levels?

novicius
August 25th, 2016, 11:15 AM
There's materials reqs, that is a major grinding area that might come under some tweaking.

Phil_SS
August 25th, 2016, 11:27 AM
As I recall it wasn't the lack of story that really turned you off YW, it was the HoW DLC wiping out months of grinding.

That is something that I bet happens to NMS as well as Hello Games tweaks their incomplete baby.

HoW allowed you to upgrade your gear with Etheric Light.

TDB did not allow gear upgrades. That along with limited vault space plus only five short missions plus multiple currencies and a lackluster Raid provided great frustration for people.

Though I have heard that HoW's lack of a Raid and thus splitting of raid groups was detrimental as well. I see posts all the time about how people had a set group of people every week to take on the Raid and since HoW the group has never recovered. I find that a bit ridiculous when you look at the time between HoW and TTK, which was four months. And the fact that every other PvE task in the game before and after requires a 3 man team.

But I think that Bungie heard that criticism and I do not believe they will release a paid expansion without a Raid.

Anyways. I don't really see a resemblance between NMS and Destiny. Other than they are based on Sci-Fi. Just totally different games. I hope that Hello Games is able to learn from this disastrous opening and is able to build on the game and make it better over time. Because the base idea is awesome.

novicius
August 25th, 2016, 12:00 PM
HoW allowed you to upgrade your gear with Etheric Light.
Yes, I just didn't want to pollute the NMS thread with a detailed explanation. ;)

Rare White Ape
August 25th, 2016, 06:35 PM
I haven't upgraded to grenades yet.

I did find a station which buys plutonium and heridium at nearly 100% over market. Gave the system an indicative name and called the planet STAAAATIIIOONNN

Heh, this game me a great idea: start naming planets with utilitarian names that give brief descriptions to other players that might come across it later on.

Something like "Buys [resource] at 100% over market," or, "this planet has no carbon" etc.

It might save someone a lot of time later on.

drew
August 26th, 2016, 02:47 AM
That's what I've been doing. When I find a goldmine (literally), I rename it LOTTAGOLD, etc.

I named one "Face Melter" due to it being high RAD and high temp (400C+).

Too bad the profanity filter is so draconian. Otherwise there'd be names like "Thars Gold in them thar Cunt", and "Fucked with Pultonium".

But I suppose that's the point... (pussies)

Yw-slayer
August 26th, 2016, 06:23 AM

Yeah, it was that, but the inconsistencies (why is the gravity on EVERY PLANET the same in our solar system? FFS) also put me off.

Then they kept making up lots of stuff that they thought was really clever and cool but was basically just "Evil Space Wizards doing Magic". Then of course they put out missions that weren't fun to play that you end up cheating to get through, instead of killing stuff (which isn't as fun) and which made my previous grinding pointless.

I'm sure the novelty of NMS will wear off at some point, but at least the storyline is something I can get into. Rather than just generic space wizard shit. The Vex were actually the enemies I most enjoyed fighting. Screw the others.

21Kid
August 26th, 2016, 07:09 AM
What if they change at some point?

Yw-slayer
August 26th, 2016, 04:36 PM
What if what changes?

21Kid
August 29th, 2016, 05:15 AM
Contents of planets, the worth of 'x' item, the harshness of the planet, etc...

Then the planet names would be pointless, or actually do the opposite.

Nigel
August 29th, 2016, 06:06 AM
I haz shipz.

Yw-slayer
August 29th, 2016, 07:35 AM
Contents of planets, the worth of 'x' item, the harshness of the planet, etc...

Then the planet names would be pointless, or actually do the opposite.

It's cool, not generally planning to go back to old systems.

21Kid
August 29th, 2016, 07:45 AM
I haz shipz.

Who's this guy?

drew
August 29th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Honestly, I can't figure out how to! I needed a shitton of aluminum, and I found/named one "ALUMINUM", but couldn't find the fucking thing again.

I have a 47-slot ship and suit at 48, gun at 24. I dropped 55M for the ship (which all turns out to be moot, since I reloaded a "Previous" save, and my ship changed (appearance (da fuq?)), and now it's completely maxed out (all upgrades, same with suit/gun). Needing space only for iron (shields), plutonium, and pulse fuel. I'm just buying the components for warp cells, since I'm already bored with resource collection (you did note the "55M" thing, right?) and have 8M with nothing left to spend it on.

All that being said, once the grind is done to get your ship (which, in all honesty, you don't really even have to do, you can just locate crashed ships and upgrade that way, all told, you could probably get by with with 7M for the suit and gun upgrades), I'm finding myself somewhat bored.

Meaning, I've documented about 5-6 planets' worth of animals, which the novelty wears off quickly. You almost always find all but one new one in 5 minutes, then spend the next goddamn hour finding that one red dot in the viewfinder. Fuck that shit. I get frustrated and start killing everything I see, hoping they've starting a new stats system for "Planetary Genocide", but alas, they have not.

so, to summarize, after 15 days with the game, 2 starts, and 110 hours:

1: The initial "oooh/ahh" is great. You start with a proper-fucked ship on a random planet: that will either allow you the freedom to find the resources you need to fix your ship, in relative peace, or; be a Rio-Chernobyl that rots your nuts and/or makes them glow/fall off. That's if you're not cornholed by relentless flying eyeballs (why so angry bro?)

2: A second "ooh/ahh" when you finally get your POS off the ground the first time (after it telling you that you now need to find fucking fuel to do so, after you just walked 4500 goddamn miles to find that one zinc plant...). Only to find that (as stock game), flying is a ho-hum experience. There's a "low flight" mod, that eliminates the auto-pilot thing, and lets you fly 2 feet off the ground (and subsequently crash into shit). Yet another mod bumps up the ship's speed about 1.5-2x faster than vanilla as well. Add to the two together, and it's actually rather fun.

3: The grind, the goddamn grind. At one point, I though about making a Gravitino Ball in my inventory worth 100000000, just to save myself the hours of tedium and bullshit, but I resisted. 10 fucking hours of grabbing 30-35 Sac Venoms from a planet, and pulse flying back to a station for around a 1.2M return (this is why i considered the "cheat", since it was going to happen anyway, and I wouldn't have had to deal with the fore-mention relentless robo-dicks getting fucked off as soon as I collected the first sac).

4: The frustration of finding that "perfect" ship. So, here's the deal. Just because you have 45M sitting there, don't get your hopes up of getting a maxed 48-slot fighter type ship (which again is moot, all ships have the exact same flight/weapon characteristics, the only difference is purely cosmetic). For example: I had the 45M, and a ship with about 35 slots. First one I look at (fighter looking thing): 43 slots 39M, ok, that's fine, except that if I buy that, I'm left with 7M, and way short on slots (then have to re-grind to get about 50M (estimated) to get a "bigger" ship. So you hold out. Then it lands, you run over, talk to the gibberish-speaking toad thing, and it's 47 slots. 55M to buy. Well, fuck me. Jump back into my shit box, and go steal sac venoms while getting laser-raped by sentinels for the next 2 hours. Get to about 60M, then started "shopping" again. Only to have the ship I wanted (and got), change appearance after a load game. So, fuck me sideways.

5: Being on foot is as fun and enjoyment as being on a sex-cycle with rusty nails on the wheel instead of baby dildos (yes, google it). I can only theorize that the devs are sick sadistic fucks. Why else would they have programmed you to only be able to "run" at .3 feet per second? It's space, we have warp capable ships, Give me some goddamn rocket boots. True, you can upgrade your stamina/run speed with slot-taking companion units....., but even then, you can run at 10 feet per second for 3 seconds, then you're back to crawling.

6: Space flight: This is two fold. A: at least after you upgrade your pulse drive to all 4 levels, it sails along nicely, but directional changes are still shit. At least asteroids don't kill you when you slam into one. B: Pirates and Scans. Seriously, fuck off. You're traveling along at 2800ks (whatever that means), and you get scanned, then your ship slows down to 160 max, and 15 pirates come in. All you can do is wait for the inevitable. All it's missing is fucking banjo music. If only real world police had that technology. "This fuckwit is doing 110 mph" and the act of clocking him with your radar, slows them to 10 mph. Here's your invitation to get fucked by a judge.

7: Maps, or the lack of. I understand that by the very nature of the game, being procedural, making a planet-side map is fairly difficult. But, why couldn't you also have that generated, client-side? At least mark the places you've been to previously. Nothing more fun that finding a "crashed" ship, and when you're 3 seconds from it, the icon turns gray, which means you've already been there/claimed it (likely the very ship you're flying). Even though it was on the other side of the fucking planet. Local start system maps, don't need those. The galaxy map can go fuck itself. Moving around in the map is a pain in the dick. I've always used "invert Y" in games, which I have that set in options. But, while in the galaxy map, it's not. Nothing but starts, no names, just balls of light. This goes back to my original point. If they would only name things that have been discovered/named, and/or, have a "this was your previous path" as another option, you could very easily back track. But as it is, you spend 15 fucking minutes, scrolling (past) places, only to click on them and realize "fuck, that's not it". Ultimately, you just through your ship at anything and give the finger out the window.

I will start progressing through the "story" of it now. but I can't see going much past that, unless Hello Games releases some pretty substantial in the way of new content.

I also found a work-around for the lame profanity filter. So if you happen across any planets named "FUXX0RZ" (or similar variations), you'll know who found them.

Yw-slayer
August 29th, 2016, 03:57 PM
You ground too much. A bit here and there, some story here and there, and it's cool. Definitely not perfect, and quite grindy, but cool.

drew
August 30th, 2016, 02:51 AM
Yeah, probably. I've done all the Atlas trips (just jumped directly to each of them from the last). Working on the galaxy center thing now.

drew
September 1st, 2016, 07:43 AM
so, getting to the "center" is a tedious pain in the ass (obviously, I probably did it "wrong"). My best calculation is, you have three choices:
1: Jump using the "path to center", which, good luck. I'd estimate at least 500 jumps to do this. Considering you can only go about a 1000 ly linear, and end up only 500 ly closer....
2: Go freestyle: move the "map" around until you see the big bright star (center), and move towards it, at least as far as you can (in range). This will knock it down to oh, 300 jumps or so.
3: Or, get completely frustrated and fucked off about it, adopt the "I just want this to fucking end" attitude, and modify your jump range to 15000 ly. Still took 110 jumps.

Then:
you get to the center, it spaces out for a bit, and you re-appear on a starter planet in another galaxy, with your ship, albeit, every single item on it completely fucked up and trashed (suit/gun upgrades too).
Meh.

Maybe they'll add shit to the game in future updates, and make it something more like it was expected. There are several mods that greatly improve the playability, but there are still far more irks about it.

I might install Elite for shits and giggles.

21Kid
November 22nd, 2016, 10:59 AM
Is this worth $15 on PS4?

thesameguy
November 22nd, 2016, 11:03 AM
No*.

*I base this on absolutely nothing.

Yw-slayer
November 22nd, 2016, 02:22 PM
Possibly.

Rare White Ape
November 22nd, 2016, 11:20 PM
I dunno. You can't be as disappointed for $15 as you can be for full price.

I guess you missed out on being an O.G. NMS sucker.

Yw-slayer
November 23rd, 2016, 12:30 AM
It's not a BAD game. For USD15, yeah, I think it's fine.

drew
November 23rd, 2016, 12:39 PM
I gave it a solid month, and it got old. It was fairly comical seeing the randomly-generated animals (one planet had bouncing pineapple things, the fuck?)

I think I had about 250 hours in it with a couple different starts. Went to the center, then, as above, was sorely let down.

Elite Dangerous has a lot of familiar mechanics/etc (rather, the other way around, ED came out a year before NMS, hmmm).

Now, I drink.

novicius
November 23rd, 2016, 01:02 PM
If you were serious about grinding, Drew, you'd sack-up and play Destiny... ;) #jk #notmuchofagrind

thesameguy
November 23rd, 2016, 01:55 PM
Alternatively, there is a game where a young street hustler, a retired bank robber and a terrifying psychopath find themselves entangled with some of the most frightening and deranged elements of the criminal underworld, the U.S. government and the entertainment industry, and they must pull off a series of dangerous heists to survive in a ruthless city in which they can trust nobody, least of all each other. It's really good. Don't remember the name, but google it.

Kchrpm
November 27th, 2016, 04:25 AM
http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/27/13756302/no-mans-sky-foundation-update-patch-notes-ps4-pc-version-1-1

drew
November 28th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Installed it, don't know if/when I'll try it. I think it's a nice gesture at this point, but they've got a long way to go to get me back "in".

21Kid
November 28th, 2016, 09:31 AM
cool.

JSGeneral
November 28th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Installed it, don't know if/when I'll try it. I think it's a nice gesture at this point, but they've got a long way to go to get me back "in".

QFT, Drew. I feel the same way.

JSGeneral
March 8th, 2017, 09:35 AM
The next update is here. I never booted up after Update #1... but this one might tempt me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDNtbosTCvo

novicius
March 8th, 2017, 09:46 AM
Hey it's cool they're still developing the title. :up:

JSGeneral
March 8th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Here's a link of all the details. Some of which wasn't covered in the video. (http://no-mans-sky.com/pathfinder-update/)

drew
March 8th, 2017, 12:32 PM
The SRVs make me tempted....

Dicknose
March 11th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Ok so I came back and popped the disc in...
Oh and update (yeah I was a bit out of the loop)

It’s a decent change, almost makes it a new game. Still lots of grind, but with more purpose and more variety.
Makes me think they were pressured to get it out early as some of these things (like freighters) were there at the start but didn’t do much.

Dicknose
July 30th, 2018, 10:25 PM
Wow massive update!
Almost a new game. Multiplayer!! Changed graphics and 3rd person views. Freighters are easier to walk around but can’t jetpack up/down as a shortcut.

So far all I’ve worked out is that most of my “technology” is obsolete and can be scrapped. I guess I have to warp to another star system as the one I’m in is broken (erased planet, can’t find a space station)

So just started, but keen to see what else is new, shiny and hopefully better.

Rare White Ape
July 30th, 2018, 11:32 PM
Wait, they erased a whole planet?

JSGeneral
July 31st, 2018, 03:42 AM
Wait, they erased a whole planet?

Probably nuked from orbit... it's the only way to be sure. :)

That said, I'm starting a new game again, (playing on Normal) but I have not gotten far. Only just got my basic ship fixed up and traveled to another planet in the same system. The story so far feels the same but the new game is useful to get familiar with the new UI... and because I had not played in 11 months, so I forgot a lot about navigating.

I do like how in 3rd person when on foot, they have an animation that explains the punch/jumpjet bug where you zoom across the ground. It almost makes sense now. :)

Still, I'm having a hard time getting back into it. A few minutes here... a few minutes there... but nothing has really grabbed me yet. Then again, I have not yet seen another player either.

Dicknose
July 31st, 2018, 02:36 PM
The planet’s decscriotion said erased. It was invisible from space (just the pop up description, otherwise wouldn’t have known it was there)
When I flew there is sort of appeared, but only in bits. Should have done a screen shot!

Yobbo NZ
July 31st, 2018, 04:09 PM
Handywork of a certain D Vader?

Dicknose
July 31st, 2018, 05:37 PM
New patch today 1.52, so I reloaded from the pre-Next save and bingo the planets were back. Plus I can now warp my freighter.
I’m playing permadeath and damn it’s taken away all my shields etc so I’m in danger of dying just stepping outside.

Tom Servo
August 1st, 2018, 08:10 AM
Just picked this up while it was half off a couple of days ago. Took me a while to figure out what the hell's going on, the first couple of tries ended with me not realizing that I could get carbon by shooting at plants, because who would use a mining laser on plants. Both times I wandered off looking for carbon to use that navigation doohickey, then losing track of my ship and getting annoyed. Attempts to figure out how to find my ship again mostly resulted in web searches calling me an idiot and claiming that the ship should always be in my HUD. Finally figured out that initial opening quest thing that gets you the visor that actually does that, then spent about 10 minutes walking towards the "S" icon on the HUD, then finally realizing that stood for "South", and not "Ship".

The sense of discovery is kinda neat while also being a little irritating. I've got the pulse engines repaired on my ship, but now I have to go wander around looking for some Di-Hydrogen garbage. Well, technically now I have to go to work.

Dicknose
August 1st, 2018, 01:55 PM
Yeah there quite a bit of exploration of how the game works!
That can be good but also frustrating.

They have fixed a lot of the most frustrating stuff, getting blueprints for technology in the first version was a pain. Hard to do then you would get a random tech, which you most likely already had!
Then they made it easier, some places to buy tech. Now it’s easier again, every space station has several tech merchants.

Although I have a bug, my pre-Next games don’t get the tech for freighter fuel, this should happen automatically when you build a mission control room. Got it first time I played, then after the patch yesterday I reloaded from older save and it’s busted.

Dicknose
August 1st, 2018, 05:39 PM
Wow - did my 5th warp and came into a space battle. Yeah yeah, fight get small prize and chance to buy a freighter for “1 billion dollars”.
No - they give you the freighter!!

Wow - can barely afford a happy meal and now I have a capital ship!
Also when you find a distress ship you can “add” instead of “swap”. I did this and left it parked (better than mine but had damage). Bingo - it’s in the hanger bay on my new freighter!!
No more grinding for 100 million to play with the big boys.

Tom Servo
August 1st, 2018, 07:37 PM
Are there any planets that don't have some annoying "Keep getting sodium!!" drain thing?

On the flip side, I did my first flight from planet to planet and that was kinda cool. I didn't realize the boost sorta keeps itself going after you do the super fast boost, so I tried to land at ludicrous speed and had a hell of a time until I figured out how to slow down.

Dicknose
August 1st, 2018, 10:47 PM
There are very nice planets (lush) and some that are ok (barren) but a bit cold at night.
Google “no mans sky biomes” for info.

If I need to do a bit of ground work I pick a safe planet.
Then again going to an extreme planet and hiding in a cave can rack up “survived extreme” points

Jason
August 2nd, 2018, 12:40 PM
I keep forgetting to check this out considering I've owned it for a while now... is there's an "easy" or "god" mode where I don't have to worry about grinding so much, and can freely explore places?

Tom Servo
August 2nd, 2018, 02:36 PM
I remember reading something about a "creative" or "creation" mode or something like that that sounds like what you're looking for. So far, Normal's been an interesting mix of "goddammit, I keep having to do this stuff to stay alive" along with "shit, what is it that I need to do to make it easier to stay alive".

Dicknose
August 2nd, 2018, 09:30 PM
Yeah start and it asks mode - creative should be no grind, just build and enjoy.

lostnight
August 27th, 2018, 06:49 PM
I hope this game becomes free with gold. I have watched people play it on Twitch, and I"m not convinced to pay full price, but may want to give it a whirl at a much lower price.

Tom Servo
August 28th, 2018, 06:28 AM
I'm really enjoying it, but I also picked it up when it was half-off for a day on Steam. I probably wouldn't have considered it worth $60, but happy with it at $30.

I think one of the things I like about it is that it reminds me of a modernized Star Control 2. Not nearly as good, but the closest I've played in a long time.

Dicknose
August 15th, 2019, 07:30 PM
They have done another big update.
Improved VR and some better multiplayer.
Plus new features like tame/ride creatures.

Its a nice update but not anything radically new, just more of the same. A bit buggy, had it crash twice in a couple of hours. Seems they are doing daily patches for the crashes!

But if you havent touched it for a while then maybe get the update and see what its like.

Dicknose
September 1st, 2021, 02:18 PM
NMS is still going... they have just done a new update.
https://www.nomanssky.com/frontiers-update/

drew
September 7th, 2021, 10:36 AM
I tend to play it for a month or so, every few years (modding the shit out of it every time, of course (Bill :finger: ))

Dicknose
September 7th, 2021, 01:20 PM
I think lots of people do that!
This new update is pretty lame.
But the previous missions were good - you had to start a new game and there was set goals and new rewards. Good for both new players and people who had played for a long while (as they had to start again). Down side was that it was only available for a few weeks per mission.
A new mission is due soon, worth keeping an eye out for it.

21Kid
September 7th, 2021, 09:25 PM
I tend to play it for a month or so, every few years (modding the shit out of it every time, of course (Bill :finger: ))

Me? What did I say? :lol:

I played it a bit on Xbox w/Carlo and Dennis. Only like 10 hrs though. Not long enough to even figure out what I was doing.

Dicknose
September 10th, 2021, 03:39 PM
Expedition 3 has started.

This is a set of challenges which you start from a new save, so it doesn't matter if you haven't played for a while, you dont need an existing save.
These can be fun, some stuff to do, lots of goals and rewards. This one has a bit of grind, but not as much as starting a new normal game.

Its available for about 6 weeks.