PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 1

Rare White Ape
May 7th, 2016, 12:20 AM
WATCH THIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7nRTF2SowQ

Looks way, way better than Infinite Warfare.

Rare White Ape
May 7th, 2016, 12:28 AM
Ahh screw it, why not put this here, too? Make it one big BF1 vs IW thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeF3UTkCoxY

Yeah, this still looks good.

Drachen596
May 7th, 2016, 12:34 AM
I'm more interested in the Battlefield 1 game. Mostly because I want to see where they're going to take it and how they're going to make multiplayer as enticing as BF3 or BF4.

On COD: IW I'm way more interested in the COD4 MW remastering than the IW game.

MR2 Fan
May 7th, 2016, 02:39 PM
I only ever liked the WW2 COD games, so I'll probably like BF1 better

SkylineObsession
May 7th, 2016, 02:41 PM
I only play these games for singleplayer so couldn't care less about multiplayer, but i'm interested in both so far. Have always sucked at online shooters, as they don't suit my 'camping' play style of shooter games. I try be stealthy in every game even if it doesn't support it.

Drachen596
May 8th, 2016, 05:22 PM
COD fans whining because everyone was blown away by the Battlefield 1 trailer is hilarious. "omg it was all cut scenes not actual gameplay"

Though having watched the COD trailer, I don't see any game play there either.

Kchrpm
May 9th, 2016, 03:02 AM
To be fair, a lot of COD gameplay is just first person cut scenes.

21Kid
May 9th, 2016, 05:47 AM
They are both great at making trailers. :p I like the bi-plane action of BF1. I have thought that the vehicles have been overpowered in the last few BF games, and taking it back should help counter that.

Phil_SS
May 9th, 2016, 07:01 AM
BF1 definitely interests me more than CoD. Not that I would buy it but if I had to choose one I would buy BF1. I've pretty much lost all interest in the CoD games.

And I agree with Kid, The Biplanes and WW1 machinery seems like it would be more fun.

Rare White Ape
August 30th, 2016, 05:05 PM
The open beta for BF1 is available now. I think you needed to pre-apply for it, which I did, in order to get a code to access it on your platform of choice, so it's probably not available to everyone.

I've done two rounds of the conquesty-like capture-the-flagy-like scenario on a big beautiful open Northern African desert map. The first game I played I hopped in a tank thingy and drove around just capturing flag points. 9 kills, 0 deaths! Towards the end of the match the wind picked up and a huge dust storm rolled in. Fuck it was spectacular. I think it was a bonus that happens if a team dominates the round, similar to TIE Fighter flyby easter eggs in SW Battlefront, because it didn't happen in the more evenly fought second round. I'm uploading the video of that as I speak, if anyone wants to come back here in 3 hours to watch 15 minutes of highly skilled driving.

In the second round I wanted to try the walking simulator aspect of the game so I tried my hand at being a medic, for no other reason than that I liked the feel of a single-shot bolt-action rifle that's part of the Medic kit. I didn't fare quite as well; 5 kills 10 deaths. A video of that is not forthcoming :lol: I did discover that you can do a bayonet charge by pressing R3, which is funny if you do it at random because your soldier lets out a mean warcry for no reason and sprints forward.

Overall it feels just like SWBF, except things move slower and there's no rousing John Williams orchestral score, so it has more of an atmosphere of seriousness. The graphics are genuinely *amazing* except set on planet Earth, not... Endor, so that's a nice thing to think about. It's realer than Star Wars. You also lack the bright shooty lasers which means it's really hard to see where your enemies are firing from, and I really love the sound effects from bullets flying overhead, and stuff going off in the distance.

I really want to get stuck into a singleplayer campaign mode. Hopefully that's not over the top like Call of Shitty has been doing after CoD4 came out.

Early score: 7/7 would buy

Alan P
August 30th, 2016, 05:34 PM
It saddens me that this game is more SWBF than BF3 or 4. I found it 'alright' but only really played for a couple of hours. On PC it's very difficult to get into the same server as your friends, never mind in their squad or even on the same side as them. It looks amazing I agree and the Armoured train (It's a map with the British playing a major role as one of the armies yet it's still spelt 'armored' in game) is, in some ways, better than the AC-130 from BF4 because it's a fixed location and can only move along the track so can be avoided easily enough.

IMO the tanks are overly powerful and to counter that they should be slower IMO. Realistically they only moved at around 2-3MPH back then.

Rare White Ape
August 30th, 2016, 10:30 PM
Here's the video as promised. If you need safe transit all over the map, jump in with me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9CrXe7Z1i0

Phil_SS
October 19th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Bump for Kid. :)

I'm still gonna wait to hear how the servers are handling the load. And I feel this will be one of those games I can pick up on Black Friday for $40.

21Kid
October 19th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Whoops. Forgot this was here... Are any others getting this for Xbox?

Rare White Ape
October 20th, 2016, 05:36 AM
I'm in it for the single player.

The servers will be fine, they were good for Battlefront, so they'll be good for this.

And now that I own both the PSone and the Xbox4 I'm torn on which thing to buy it for.

21Kid
October 20th, 2016, 09:39 AM
That's what I'm wondering...

Yw-slayer
October 24th, 2016, 12:59 AM
And now that I own both the PSone and the Xbox4 I'm torn on which thing to buy it for.

PC, duh.

Rare White Ape
October 24th, 2016, 04:21 AM
NEVER

GreatScawt
October 27th, 2016, 05:50 AM
This game is so good. Gorgeous, too.
Multiplayer has been incredibly smooth and well-executed. Much, much better than their BF4 release.

Rare White Ape
October 31st, 2016, 02:18 AM
I bought this today.

It. Is. awesome.

The opening is gobsmacking. Definitely the best first level of an FPS ever made.

SkylineObsession
October 31st, 2016, 11:04 PM
Yeah, workmates are harping on about it which is making wifey all jealous. Saving for the USA trip has to take priority though - unless the game gets cheap enough. ;)

Rare White Ape
November 3rd, 2016, 02:06 AM
Major gripe with this game: the single player campaign is excellent but it is far too short. Not including collecting extras or playing on harder difficulties, I'm spending only about 1-2 hours on each short story. I'll have it knocked over within a few days.

There's two things I take from this.

1) it's not Halo or CoD; it's primarily a multiplayer game and I haven't even delved into that side of it yet. Yeah. It's a hardcore multiplayer game with proper server browsing and ranks and unlockables. PC level stuff on console. It's far more comprehensive than SW Battlefront ever pretended to be.

2) this probably speaks a lot about how much effort needs to go into building a game of this fidelity in this era. If you're one who takes the time to appreciate the details (and I am one of them) you'll be constantly in awe of the many environments thrown at you in splendid WWI squalor. I spent much of Wednesday evening scouting ahead for my tank crew in a misty French forest, sometimes finding myself marvelling at the types of rock formations and the different species of moss and fungi that grow on them. All of this has to be 100% faithful to the real location, otherwise what's the point? And it's not just environments. It's weapons and vehicles and equipment and props and scene dressings and little things. I think Frostbite is probably the best game engine out there for shooters, but damn it takes some work on the part of the artists to make it tick. I remember watching clips of the crew travelling to the real life filming location for Endor and you could only get a hint of the amount of work they did to capture it.

I'm really humbled by the whole spectacle here - some scenes such as no man's land in the Friends In High Places story literally make me shake my head with disbelief that this actually happened, and continued for years - and I just wish the game spent more time feeding it to you.

Yw-slayer
November 3rd, 2016, 02:47 AM
Dude. Battlefield has always focused more on MP than on SP.

Rare White Ape
November 3rd, 2016, 03:47 AM
True. And yet, BF3 on last-gen consoles had quite a comprehensive single player campaign. I played the Xbox version and it even split the MP and SP modes onto separate discs.

21Kid
November 3rd, 2016, 06:01 AM
I keep forgetting these games even have single player stories.

Yw-slayer
November 3rd, 2016, 06:40 AM
I dunno. The BF3 story was ok but I couldn't even be bothered to finish 4's. Yet I finished cod ghosts!

Rare White Ape
November 4th, 2016, 05:03 AM
I have CoD Ghosts. It came free with my PS4 GTA V bundle, which also had a free copy of FarCry 4.

I only kept it because its trade-in value was $10.

I played it for two hours and never touched it again. Post-Modern Warfare (but not Postmodern Warfare) I've found all CoD games to be far too outlandish and Hollywood-ey in their set pieces. Just giant loads of crap.

As Cam would say, deleted!

But that's kind of hard with a Blu-Ray disc, so… frisbeed?

21Kid
November 4th, 2016, 05:55 AM
They acknowledged the outlandishness of COD with BLOPS3. And I think this new one takes it even further.

Whereas BF1 seems to go back to the core mechanics of what made the series great. At least that's my feeling so far, I haven't had any screen time with BF1 outside the beta, and have only seen commercials for the new COD. But, I don't think any more is needed honestly. :lol:

Yw-slayer
November 4th, 2016, 06:04 AM
Yeah, I didn't like Ghosts but I felt I owed it to finish the game.

tigeraid
November 4th, 2016, 06:27 AM
Interesting. The praise for the game seems to be pretty high, at least for Multiplayer... But I listened to a podcast where a British guy, who's a WW1 history buff like me, shat all over how completely ridiculous, over-the-top and not respectful at all to the Great War the single player campaigns were.

Is it true the first mission has you basically play a completely invulnerable 1910s Iron Man laying waste to an entire army by yourself? I know you have to take some liberties to make a game about war FUN, but that seems a tad ridiculous.

Rare White Ape
November 4th, 2016, 08:01 AM
If he's referring to the prologue (which is sorta the first mission) you play a number of characters who die, which is meant to show off the bloody pointlessness of the conflict and how you're not expected to survive among the carnage. When one character dies, you spawn as the next one and so-on in order to advance the mission.

The first proper story mission sees you as a tank driver who at one point has to scout ahead of the vehicle to clear the way, and you do have the ability to take out a whole platoon of German/Austrian fucksticks until you make it to a clearing, and then you end up almost winning the battle single-handedly.

It's just a game mechanics and AI thing. In reality you'd be minced on the spot. The best thing the game does is convey that sense of helplessness and horror of WWI which can't really be done in film and other passive media quite as easily; it just does it in small chunks between the one-man army stuff. If movies like Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line influenced the first Call of Duty, then this game will be what influences all media going forward once the resurgent popular consumption of WWI takes a foothold, I feel.

tigeraid
November 4th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Odd--is there a mission where you're in a giant suit of armour? I think he was playing an early release copy for reviewing...

I dunno, just sounded unfortunate, his whole argument was that it DOESN'T convey that sense.

Rare White Ape
November 4th, 2016, 02:16 PM
Oh that mission. I'm sorry, I forgot about that.

In it you are part of an elite squad that is meant to assault positions to support a regular crew to carry out their task. Your character dons a suit of armour and you basically walk into bullets while carrying a 20mm and blowing heads off.

The character's unit is the Arditi, based on the real life Arditi which were designed to be a disruptive force to break the trench warfare stalemate using assault tactics.

After this clip the character strips the armour and carries on in a more typical role attacking an Austrian fortress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXPpooaavT4

21Kid
December 1st, 2016, 11:09 AM
EA IS TAKING A 'COUPLE OF YEARS' BREAK OFF BATTLEFIELD TO FOCUS ON STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT (http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/12/01/ea-is-taking-a-couple-of-years-break-off-battlefield-to-focus-on-star-wars-battlefront)

EA has announced that we won't see another Battlefield game "for a couple of years." Instead, the company is choosing to throw its weight behind production on a new Star Wars Battlefront title set for release in late 2017.

Good! :up:

Kchrpm
December 1st, 2016, 11:14 AM
Oh my.

novicius
December 1st, 2016, 11:16 AM
<3 <3 <3

Rare White Ape
December 1st, 2016, 12:04 PM
Excellent news!

So we're getting alternate years between Battlefields and Battlefronts? I'm all for that.

Let us hope that they bake in a decent singleplayer experience to go with it.

balki
March 3rd, 2017, 11:19 AM
Xbox Live Gold Members: Battlefield 1 Trial (Xbox One) Free valid for all Xbox Live Gold Members from 9AM PT on March 3-5, 2017.

SkylineObsession
March 3rd, 2017, 05:54 PM
And in the years there are no Battlefields or Battlefronts, they'll have smaller mini games like Battleaxe and Battlethebottle.

balki
April 18th, 2017, 04:55 AM
gotta say, this campaign was pretty damn good, maybe the best since CoD4:MW
the 16+ minutes credits were longer than half of the missions, though

lostnight
April 20th, 2017, 06:31 PM
I enjoyed playing this online the other day with one of my ex-navy buddies I haven't spoken to in like 29 years. His name is Ray, and he was a huge Slayer fan back in the day. I wondered if he changed much over the years. well, his xbox name is Rayning Blood, so I guess not, lol! BF1 is really fun btw. Love riding the horse with a sword.

Rare White Ape
May 23rd, 2018, 06:22 PM
BFV trailer.

About 1% of it looks realistic.

https://youtu.be/a7ZpQadiyqs

Yobbo NZ
May 23rd, 2018, 07:21 PM
I watched that, and immediately thought some EA exec, after viewing gameplay, must have decided "let's make a WW2 game, but like with space cadets dressed in WW2 uniforms."
Seems more Halo/battlefield 2142, than ww2.

Fiat500
November 1st, 2018, 02:05 PM
Currently free with XBL Gold.

Cam
November 4th, 2018, 08:21 AM
75 GB! Sheesh.

Cam
November 5th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Playing the prologue, it did not take me long to realize, "Oh , these guys are supposed to die." I just stood out in the open and did not fight back. :rolleyes:

Phil_SS
November 6th, 2018, 10:58 AM
I downloaded it just to play the campaign, which I'm told is pretty cool. Other than that I have no interest.

Cam
November 6th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Eff the plane flight controls. Totally not like any other flight game. :angry:

21Kid
November 6th, 2018, 01:09 PM
Not sure I enjoy the old timey guns.

I'm not sure why this got such good reviews.

Cam
November 6th, 2018, 02:27 PM
Latest and greatest at the time?

I have not tried multiplayer yet. I may not. *shrug*

Rare White Ape
November 7th, 2018, 12:09 AM
Eff the plane flight controls. Totally not like any other flight game. :angry:

Eh, it’s just like Star Wars Battlefront!

I bought this back in the day. I really enjoyed the campaign but it was too short. And the old timey guns were fun in a Red Dead kind of way. I liked the single shot bolt action rifles the most. Run, stop, aim… Boom! Straight into the chest, clear and move into the next goon.

Alan P
November 8th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Can we just make this the battlefield thread as BFV launched a day early for Origin Access Premier people. Like me. It's a lot of fun but holy hell am I rusty at FPS games. It was starting to come back but considering it's been around two years of 3rd person games for me it's no wonder!

GreatScawt
December 30th, 2018, 06:38 AM
Took some convincing and a $30 price point, but I picked this up to play with some friends (Battlefield V).

The mention of glitches and bugs kind of put me off, and especially the the patch where Dice decided - without community - input to *UP* the TTK values. They have quickly since reverted that.

So far so good though... the "Battlefield moments" are certainly there, especially if you can get some squad communication and organization.

For those not keeping up with the changes from previous games: This game definitely places a priority on your resources. Expect to ask for ammo and med packs a lot. You spawn with limited ammo and one (1) med pack maximum. You get damaged, you can press your heal button to use the med pack. Otherwise, you ask for healing from a medic, or your character very slowly regenerates health up until a certain point. When a medic heals you, you get your current damaged healed and a resupply of the one med pack allotment. It's a different system, but works pretty well. Weapons feel better, there is little to no "built-in inaccuracies" like what BF1 had -guns shoot where you point them in BFV.

Main game mode is Grand Operations... where Dice probably thinks it is a positive evolution of Operations from BF1... where no matter what, it goes to three rounds even if the defenders hold off the attackers on the first two. That seems to contradict the whole point. Anyway, there is bomb planting, conquest, and BF1-style "capture all points in a sector to progress to the next sector".

Probably my favorite reason to enjoy this game... NO gun variants, NO Elite classes, and especially NO Behemoths.
Also, no loot crates. :lol: