PDA

View Full Version : Nissan to buy major stake in Mitsubishi

MR2 Fan
May 12th, 2016, 05:42 AM
Pending, but looks like it will happen

http://www.japantoday.com/category/business/view/nissan-confirms-it-is-in-tie-up-talks-mitsubishi-motors

Kchrpm
May 12th, 2016, 05:48 AM
Analysts said a tie-up would give Nissan access to Mitsubishi’s strong foothold in Southeast Asia and some key technology, including hybrids and minicars, which are hugely popular in Japan.

I wasn't aware Mitsubishi's hybrid tech was farther along than Nissan's, considering I've never heard of a Mitsubishi hybrid.

*googles*

They have a plug-in hybrid Outlander that has taken a long time to come to the US, but is the best-selling electric/hybrid of any kind in Europe ( http://evobsession.com/10-best-hybrid-cars/ ).

novicius
May 12th, 2016, 05:59 AM
There's been a Mitsu electric car here in the U.S. for a few years.

Kchrpm
May 12th, 2016, 06:37 AM
Yeah, but they specified hybrids. Nissan already has electric and hybrid vehicles in the US, but AFAIK not a hybrid SUV. I just didn't picture Mitsubishi being ahead of them.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks Nissan and Mitsu were complicit in the Mitsu-built Nissans with falsified fuel mileage ratings, but Mitsu took full responsibility and this is Nissan paying them back. I don't actually think that's true, but that's what the theory would be.

Kchrpm
May 12th, 2016, 06:47 AM
http://jalopnik.com/nissans-taking-control-of-mitsubishi-is-a-master-stroke-1776238049

It was Nissan who called attention to the fact that partner Mitsubishi was greasing fuel economy tests in Japan, on Mitsubishi cars that were also badged as Nissans. That sent Mitsubishi into crisis mode, tanking their stock price and opening them to massive consequences.

Then, when things got really bad just three weeks later, it was Nissan who swooped in to save Mitsubishi—and also giving them access to a lucrative Southeast Asia market where they have struggled, a new manufacturing partner, and combined resources for new cars, platforms and electric technology.

Damn, man. Carlos Ghosn is terrifying.

MR2 Fan
May 12th, 2016, 07:52 AM
I can see it now: Nissan GT-R EVO Rally-spec

novicius
May 12th, 2016, 08:25 AM
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks Nissan and Mitsu were complicit in the Mitsu-built Nissans with falsified fuel mileage ratings, but Mitsu took full responsibility and this is Nissan paying them back. I don't actually think that's true, but that's what the theory would be.
...and now Tanaka owes me a favor. ;)

thesameguy
May 12th, 2016, 08:43 AM

I definitely wouldn't rule it out - Mitsubishi has been struggling for a while and I could see machinations at work to depress them as much as possible to make Nissan's dollar go further. You won't know for a while, but see who gets paid in 8-16 months and you'll be able to figure out what happened. All it takes is a few guys at the top getting a payday to sink an entire company.

SkylineObsession
May 12th, 2016, 06:48 PM
Wonder if Nissan would convince them to bring back the EVO.

Rare White Ape
May 12th, 2016, 08:00 PM
I think Mitsubishi's cars have been so boring for such a long time. If they built a new Evo, would anyone buy it?

Nissan's cars are boring as well, come to think of it. Yes, I even think the GT-R is boring. I wonder what this union of brands will come up with.

Kchrpm
May 12th, 2016, 08:20 PM
I doubt Nissan would try to convince them to bring back the EVO.

Drachen596
May 12th, 2016, 08:33 PM
so... size-wise.. how does that IDX Concept match up to the Evo?

Blerpa
May 13th, 2016, 01:40 AM
I think Mitsubishi's cars have been so boring for such a long time. If they built a new Evo, would anyone buy it?

Nissan's cars are boring as well, come to think of it. Yes, I even think the GT-R is boring. I wonder what this union of brands will come up with.

I wholeheartedly agree.
Hell, even Toyota (!!!) is less boring than the other two manufacturers combined.

novicius
May 13th, 2016, 08:00 AM
370Z is boring?? Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Or also the Juke -- it's not a sports monster but it's different and polarizing, that's not boring.

EDIT: 2016 Sentra S (~$20K USD) is available with six-speed stick. Offer a decent LSD diff as an option, don't worry about beating the Civic Si's 200 HP, and just tune for driving dynamics. :up:

I'm also interested in reading Ross' thoughts on the matter.

MR2 Fan
May 13th, 2016, 10:17 AM
I wholeheartedly agree.
Hell, even Toyota (!!!) is less boring than the other two manufacturers combined.

Only since around 2012

thesameguy
May 13th, 2016, 10:19 AM
370Z is boring?? Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Or also the Juke -- it's not a sports monster but it's different and polarizing, that's not boring.

EDIT: 2016 Sentra S (~$20K USD) is available with six-speed stick. Offer a decent LSD diff as an option, don't worry about beating the Civic Si's 200 HP, and just tune for driving dynamics. :up:

I'm also interested in reading Ross' thoughts on the matter.

I don't think a fire could fix the current Sentra. It's so bad.

Rare White Ape
May 13th, 2016, 01:36 PM
I wholeheartedly agree.

I think Toyota is deathly boring. The 370Z is boring too; a front engined GT has to look like a Corvette or an Aston Martin. The 350Z took inspiration from ergonomically designed toasters.

It's easier to list the things from Japanese manufacturers that I don't find boring:

Toybaru 86 (though this is marginal - what's stopping them from adding another 100hp to these things?)

WRX STi

Some of Mazda's stuff. I like their styling.

Ditto Honda. Which is odd, because their motorcycle range is more boring than re-runs of The Big Bang Theory.

novicius
May 13th, 2016, 04:06 PM
As usual I disagree with Mick :lol: -- 370Z is a polarizing design maybe, not boring.

TSG, the Sentra has been updated for 2016. The mill is still sad tho', I grant you that.

TheBenior
May 13th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Nissan is weird to me.

The blandness of their volume products is consistent with the cost cutting and market-share chasing they've been doing since Renault bought them. I feel like a substantial number of the Altimas I see are rocking rental barcodes in the back window. OTOH, they also do insane things like the Juke and Murano CrossCabriolet from time to time. Due to that and the existence of couple sporty cars, I don't think that the passion in the company has entirely been extinguished like it was at Toyota for a long time.

As for the controlling interest in Mitsubishi, it's probably mainly for the minicars and hybrids for the Asian/developing markets rather than anything US focused. In the US, I could see the CUVs sharing platforms for cost savings, but that's about it.

FaultyMario
May 13th, 2016, 05:59 PM
I hate ghosn.

I want a Clio RS.

I hate Nissan's disregard for human all forms of life in developing countries.

thesameguy
May 13th, 2016, 07:18 PM
As usual I disagree with Mick :lol: -- 370Z is a polarizing design maybe, not boring.

TSG, the Sentra has been updated for 2016. The mill is still sad tho', I grant you that.

I am not a big fan of the 350Z - fine, but not my choice. The 370 is a whole different story - it's the only car that would sway me from a '13 Laguna Seca given the situation arose... ;)

Not sure what I drove, but we had a newish Sentra as a rental in Portland in February... could have been a '15 for sure, but it was awful. Really bad.

novicius
May 14th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Also (I can't believe nobody jumped on me for this) the Sentra is no longer a Civic-fighter, it's a Fit-fighter. Civic has long since moved upmarket.

MR2 Fan
May 14th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Also (I can't believe nobody jumped on me for this) the Sentra is no longer a Civic-fighter, it's a Fit-fighter. Civic has long since moved upmarket.

I think the Sentra is so far below anyone's radar that no one cares...anyway, where does that put the Versa?

The359
May 14th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Versa is closer to something like a Mirage.

novicius
May 14th, 2016, 02:44 PM
I think the Sentra is so far below anyone's radar that no one cares...anyway, where does that put the Versa?
Nissan did sell 200,000+ units of this underpowered shitbox last year so at least the rental companies are happy.

KillerB
May 17th, 2016, 06:04 PM
Nissan is the only company's cars that I refuse at the rental counter. The Altima S is the herpes of the Emerald Aisle.

Mitsubishi would probably be worse, except that the only Mitsu I've seen at National is the Mirage, and I'd probably take that out of morbid curiosity. :lol:

FCA is the king of the rental cars, IMO. The trifecta of the 300, Grand Cherokee, and Town & Country (there's no better rental for four or five people who each have a checked bag than a T&C) are always welcome choices when I travel.

I was so impressed with the T&C that my parents ended up getting one on my advice.

CudaMan
May 17th, 2016, 06:57 PM
My biases aside, as rentals go the Altima is a far better drive than a Jetta or Focus/Fiesta.

Kchrpm
May 18th, 2016, 03:43 AM
I had a rented Altima in Seattle, and ended up driving it to Portland with 5 adult males (including myself) and thought it was a V6 based on its high speed acceleration with an extra 1000 lbs. Nope, it was a 4 cylinder, and with the good mileage and huge tank, I was over 400 miles when I filled it up heading back to the airport.

novicius
May 18th, 2016, 04:06 AM
Oh yeah I was gonna say that I checked out the prices last night -- MSRPs between Sentra and Civic are only $1000 USD apart. They still are considered competitors in this space. Huh. #perception

MR2 Fan
May 18th, 2016, 06:14 AM
I mentioned previously that I rented an Altima last year, 4-cyl. The biggest problems were the keyless start button not wanting to sync up which is the same problem one of my friends always has with his, and being really floaty in the front end at speed.

thesameguy
May 18th, 2016, 03:04 PM
Nissan is the only company's cars that I refuse at the rental counter. The Altima S is the herpes of the Emerald Aisle.

Mitsubishi would probably be worse, except that the only Mitsu I've seen at National is the Mirage, and I'd probably take that out of morbid curiosity. :lol:

QFT :)

JoshInKC
May 18th, 2016, 05:11 PM
I had a Lancer rental for a few days about a year ago, it was horrible.

Yw-slayer
May 24th, 2016, 10:47 PM
What's so bad about the Altima? That said, even if it's rubbish, I'm sure it'll be better than most Mitsubishis. That company has been in decline for years.

speedpimp
May 25th, 2016, 05:34 AM
Nothing is "wrong" with the Altima. It is probably their best seller and is about as mainstream and safe as you can get.