PDA

View Full Version : Galactic Civilizations III

drew
May 25th, 2016, 07:32 AM
I just got his on a whim off of Steam (it was on sale for $14, bfd). I loved GCII, many, many years ago.

I've not played it yet (not even installed, goddamn Fallout 4/Far Harbor).

It's been a while since I've played a 4x game.

That being said, the GCII was a fuckin riot. I remember saying "fuck em" and not caring about my planets inhabitants' well-being, and ignoring all the "unhappy because of high pollution" while mass-producing my war machine.

Once they capped out production, I detonated the planetary self-destruct device, and said "thank you for your service".

Then I'd send a landing force of about 6000 mega tanks to other worlds, and annihilate them.

The aspect I liked about the other ones (not III, that I know of, read NOTHING about it), was the choice to play 1 of 4-5 different races, which had equally differing strategies (diplomacy, "fuck em all in the ass with a bat" brutality warmongering, etc).

If I can ever stop playing/get bored of Fallout, this is next on deck.

Denetti
May 25th, 2016, 07:59 AM
This one was fun, but I didn't like the rock/paper/scissors nature of the ship weapons and defense. If you didn't have the right defense type your fleet was screwed.

If you like this type of game you should checkout Stellaris (just came out recently). It's a much better game then Galactic Civ. and it's a lot of fun, I really enjoy it. It has some minor flaws in the later game, but the developer is addressing them.

drew
May 25th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Nice. The last game I really played in this genre was X-3 (from Egosoft).

I knew GCIII was a little older (given its price), but, what the hell :)

21Kid
May 25th, 2016, 01:28 PM
I have both GC III and Stellaris in my wishlist. I've been stuck on Cities: Skylines which is mad by the same company (Paradox) which makes Stellaris.