PDA

View Full Version : Major First World Monitor problem

Yw-slayer
June 12th, 2016, 08:54 AM
At home, I have a Dell U2713. That is on its original stand. At home I spend most of my time watching, uh, "videos", editing pictures/videos, and very little time gaming. However, I like my monitor to be a good gaming monitor, just in case. The most important features to me are those relating to photo-editing (hence colour accuracy (within the sRGB space only as I don't have the time or energy to go to Adobe RGB) and geometry, although in fairness I am hardly doing fine art work so maybe I am being quite picky) and response time.

At work, I have a Dell U3415, which runs alongside a Dell U2407 in portrait mode. They are both on Humanscale arms so I can move both of them in 6 dimensions, and I often do. I spend around 80% of each week's screen time looking at these monitors. I originally bought the U3415 to replace my U2707, which I gave to my dad due to its lower resolution (hence bigger text and icons) and which he now uses.

I didn't originally want the 3415 to be used at home as I was concerned about the huge resolution affecting gaming , and more importantly I thought the curvature might affect geometry when editing photos. However the GTX1070 is out soon, and after months of use I think the curve is very slight and I could probably live with it at home.

Conversely, I mainly use Word at work. The problem with the U3415 is that it is very wide, but not very tall, as it is a 21:10 monitor. Height is obviously quite useful in Word. It is, after all, why I run my U2407 in portrait mode.

Do I leave things as they are?

Or do I move the U2713 to work and use it in place of the U3415, making me possibly more productive there (and even though I think by now I have adapted to the U3415), while moving the U3415 home so that I get a more "cinematic" experience overall and while gaming, even though I would lose a bit of vertical screen estate, and possibly have to put up with slightly less accurate geometry, when editing NOT VERY SRS BSNSS photos?

thesameguy
June 12th, 2016, 11:16 AM
I think I would swap.i don't think the 3415 is a good productivity display, for the reasons you note. I share your concerns about it's effect on photo editing, but for other home applications I think it's a superior choice.

Yw-slayer
June 13th, 2016, 04:49 AM
3415W is home now. Why didn't I do this when I first got it...

thesameguy
June 13th, 2016, 08:41 AM
I dunno, but kudos to you for having mismatched displays in a dual config. I absolutely cannot manage that!

Mr Wonder
June 13th, 2016, 09:56 AM
I'd probably have the U2713 at work just for the portrait-ness of it. How is the U3415? I'm thinking of going uber wide 1440p when my Dell 2408 eventually dies, I have the vertical lines on startup which fade once warm. I really like the look of it but I'm unsure about photo editing on it.

21Kid
June 13th, 2016, 10:00 AM
The poll choice is clear...

Yw-slayer
June 13th, 2016, 07:10 PM
OK, now I've swapped both. I have my 2407 in portrait at work and the 2713 (like the 3415 before it) is in landscape.

I have now remembered, however, that the 2713 is 16:9, while the 3415 was 21:9, so I actually LOST real-estate space at work. But it is a bit easier to look left and right now. Fuck this lack of good, affordable 27" 16:10 monitors. I may steal my 2707 back from my dad when he retires, that was ideal (if a bit heavy). Or just buy a non-Dell 16:10 27-32". Then, uh, put the 2713 on an arm above the 3415 at home for SRS BSNSS photo editing? Or something?

The 3415 is a great monitor overall, particularly given how close it is to me at home. I haven't edited any photos on it in anger yet, but I will let you know how it goes.