Macs don't get hacked.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AqwvoBt9ZBp2gaFjx8u7wqKyddoKNA

HA.

drew
July 12th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Better call the genii

thesameguy
July 12th, 2016, 01:31 PM
You know what? I did. Because I dgaf about fixing this pos and I really am interested to see how they do.

Did you know when you make a genius bar reservation for a mac repair "virus infection" is not an option to choose as the reason for your appointment. Heh.

drew
July 12th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Did they have to consult the Elders? Or, maybe they'll call the guy the FBI used to unlock that asshole's phone from SB, since Tim Cook pussed out. :D

thesameguy
July 13th, 2016, 08:55 AM
I will find out on Friday. I will be excited to engage the genius in a loud conversation about "I WAS TOLD MACS CAN'T GET VIRUSES SO WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?" God, I want him/her to have to answer that question in front of a bunch of customers. I should have made the appointment on a Saturday morning when they do their weird little learn-in.

drew
July 13th, 2016, 09:25 AM
I've got $50 it'll be a Scanners head asplode.

Yw-slayer
July 13th, 2016, 06:13 PM
I will find out on Friday. I will be excited to engage the genius in a loud conversation about "I WAS TOLD MACS CAN'T GET VIRUSES SO WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?" God, I want him/her to have to answer that question in front of a bunch of customers. I should have made the appointment on a Saturday morning when they do their weird little learn-in.

Yes. You must and should. Please, for the love of god, also film it and post it.

SCHAADDENNNFFRREEEUUUUDDEEE :hard:

(maybe he will notice that the screenshot is from a Onedrive account and will try and blame MS)

Actually, someone I know got phished on his Mac recently. Other than changing his passwords, cancelling the credit card, making a Police Report, and doing a full scan with some legit software, is there anything else he can/should do about it?

thesameguy
July 14th, 2016, 12:33 AM
Depends on the phish, but probably not. If he didn't download anything, that's where I'd stop.

I am physically taking the computer to an Apple Store, where I will proclaim loudly my concerns over the veracity of their marketing and then leave. I am outsourcing this bitch.

Yw-slayer
July 14th, 2016, 01:18 AM
Yup, he tells me didn't download anything. Kthx.

Video and youtube and post on Gizmodo or similar plzkthxbai

thesameguy
July 15th, 2016, 02:10 PM
I don't think anyone here knows what to do with this problem. They do know the term browser exploit.

Kchrpm
July 16th, 2016, 03:09 AM
"Here's a new iPad, this can't get a virus."

drew
July 16th, 2016, 03:55 AM
you forgot the "sneeze" at the end of the sentence.

thesameguy
July 16th, 2016, 01:45 PM
After being passed to three different techs, a guy jumps on, downloads Malwarebytes for OSX, runs it, and says "If this doesn't fix it, the next option is a reinstall."

Wow.

drew
July 16th, 2016, 03:36 PM
:lol:

Nothing like bringing a nuke to a water balloon fight.

Yw-slayer
July 16th, 2016, 06:29 PM
Did you loudly repeat it and add "Why would i need to reinstall OSX and lose all my data? I thought Macs don't get viruses!"

If only you had done it at the main store in SF.

thesameguy
July 17th, 2016, 07:09 PM
I did, and I asked about options for image-based backups to facilitate a swap to an SSD. He took a minute, loaded up Time Machine, and said "this is what we've got."

Yw-slayer
July 17th, 2016, 09:57 PM
"Is that all? Will this JUST WORK?"