PDA

View Full Version : mini-NES coming this Christmas for $60 U.S., installed with 30 games

MR2 Fan
July 14th, 2016, 06:54 AM
http://venturebeat.com/2016/07/14/nintendo-doubles-down-on-nostalgia-with-the-60-mini-nes-classic-edition-console/

$60 may be a bit high but I want it anyway

Phil_SS
July 14th, 2016, 07:01 AM
My wife just sent me that and I am seriously tempted just for Castlevania.

I am aliitle disappointed in the number of games though. Memory is dirt cheap and can't believe they couldn't have fitted a couple hundred games for the same price.

Kchrpm
July 14th, 2016, 07:04 AM
I wonder how many NES games they have full publishing and media rights for. I'm sure that's what the 30 is limited by, versus the storage price, but even then I'd think more than 30.

Phil_SS
July 14th, 2016, 07:07 AM
How many NES games are available on Wii or WiiU?

I bet it is more than 30.

Kchrpm
July 14th, 2016, 07:20 AM
But those games are all sold individually, so they can just send a percentage of the sale price to the rights holder(s). If you're selling a bundle with a hundred games whose rights are owned by different people, you'd probably end up having to send a percentage of every sale to all of the different rights holders.

Depending on the details of that box, I can see a Namco expansion and a Capcom expansion and whatever else being sold down the line.

Kchrpm
July 14th, 2016, 07:26 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(North_Ameri ca)#Nintendo_Entertainment_System

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_U_(North_Ame rica)#Nintendo_Entertainment_System

More than 30 even just Nintendo-developed ones. They definitely could have put more games on there, but this is Nintendo, they're almost always holding on tighter than need be.

FaultyMario
July 14th, 2016, 08:03 AM
Wife is excited, i want it. Looks like family fun.

MR2 Fan
July 14th, 2016, 08:13 AM
It will be good to show the kids how we grew up....except we won't have to blow anything to get the games to play!!

Freude am Fahren
July 14th, 2016, 08:43 AM
Should have made it a NES/SNES combined.

Kchrpm
July 14th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Hmmm, someone on reddit posted this, and it hadn't crossed my mind since I rarely buy VC games.

this does have the side effect of highlighting how they're overcharging on the virtual console though. $60 buys you a console, controller, and 30 games. Or it buys you 12 games on your wiiu.

tigeraid
July 14th, 2016, 11:11 AM
I don't wanna be "that guy" but there's always emulators..... :D

Seriously though, neat idea and certainly looks cool... But it might be wise to wait and see how it can be hacked/side-loaded for other games, because those thirty are gonna get reeeeeeeeeeeal boring quick.

Kchrpm
July 14th, 2016, 11:51 AM
The person who wants to buy this is not a person that has any knowledge of or real interest in emulators, hacking or side-loading.

dodint
July 14th, 2016, 12:37 PM
People that like 8-bit games enough to spend money on them, you mean?

Kchrpm
July 14th, 2016, 12:51 PM
People that would rather spend money on a plug and play setup than time and effort on researching and setting up emulators.

Drachen596
July 14th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Thought that ran through my head looking at the ad on Nintendo's site.

It says 30 Pre-installed games. I wonder if there's some expansion ability built in. Why say preinstalled instead of just 30 games.

probably just wishful thinking on my part though.

Phil_SS
July 14th, 2016, 05:36 PM
Nintendo have stated it will not have the ability to add more games.

Not counting ripping it apart and hacking it.

Drachen596
July 14th, 2016, 05:56 PM
that sucks but at least the new NES pads will work with WII and Wii U.

Alan P
July 15th, 2016, 02:55 AM
Nintendo have stated it will not have the ability to add more games.

Not counting ripping it apart and hacking it.

So they can sell a Capcom or Konami version later that you will also need to pay for no doubt. With modern storage you could likely get a hundred games on a microSD card. In fact probably more than that.

dodint
July 15th, 2016, 07:12 AM
I've had a netbook laying around that I bought in 2009. It's fairly useless for multitasking and I always wanted to make it an emulator box. Reading up on this made me think of it and now I have a nice Win10 based emulator machine that has something like 680 games on it now. I already had all the stuff (including the USB NES controller) and finally put it all together. Played RC-ProAm for like an hour last night. I already have my NES connected to my TV, but this will be nice for trips and stuff. Battery life looks to be about 2.5hrs of playing.

Kchrpm
July 15th, 2016, 07:36 AM
Mmmm, RC ProAm.

Mr Wonder
July 15th, 2016, 07:55 AM
Cool idea, very well executed. I kind of want one just to gut it and have it as a case for my RetroPie setup.

Rare White Ape
July 15th, 2016, 03:29 PM
The person who wants to buy this is not a person that has any knowledge of or real interest in emulators, hacking or side-loading.

Hackers will be onto this the instant it comes out. I'd say within 24 hours they'll have figured out a way to load the entire back catalogue of NES ROMs onto it, unless the hardware has some crazy DRM bullshit going on but for the price why would Nintendo bother with that?

I'll admit right now that I'm not super into older 2D games from the era. I have never been good at side-scrollers, platformers, beat-'em-ups or top-downs. My gaming started with the NES, I never owned a SNES (even though I wanted one) but really took off with the N64, so if I was to buy this I can tell you all right now that my use of a device like this will be very limited.

Soooooooo…

I'll be buying one just because I want it.

Drachen596
July 15th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Cool idea, very well executed. I kind of want one just to gut it and have it as a case for my RetroPie setup.

Probably cheaper to figure out how to 3d print one?

Mr Wonder
July 16th, 2016, 12:38 AM
I've no doubt it could be cheaper, but all the ones I've seen so far look like pretty ropey. Fit and finish is very important and usually expensive or time consuming to achieve.

Drachen596
July 26th, 2016, 12:04 AM
Sega has responded with their own version of this. 80 games installed.

http://www.slashgear.com/sega-mega-drive-console-with-80-built-in-games-goes-up-for-preorder-25449589/

Rare White Ape
July 26th, 2016, 02:06 AM
Hey cool!

The kicker there is that it has a slot to load original cartridges.

I'l still get the Mini NES over that, however.

Because Sega sucks and Nintendo ROOLZ.

thesameguy
July 26th, 2016, 09:10 AM
Mortal Kombat & Golden Axe? Hmmm.

MR2 Fan
July 26th, 2016, 11:07 AM
I never owned a Genesis (I had a Game Gear though)....would be interesting to go and play those games again.

Maybe Nintendo will change their minds and add more games to the mini-NES now

Kchrpm
July 26th, 2016, 11:37 AM
I don't think Nintendo worries about anything that Sega does anymore.

Alan P
July 26th, 2016, 05:02 PM
That Megadrive/Genesis thing isn't a new thing at all. In fact it's been out for ages and is a buggy mess apparently.

http://kotaku.com/no-sega-doesnt-have-its-own-mini-genesis-1784350008

Rare White Ape
November 4th, 2016, 07:12 PM
The NES Classic Edition comes out in less than a week. Screw the Switch, we have new Nintendo hardware in 2016!

Is anyone going to delve into it? All reviews so far say it's great, except for the 30 title limit and the short-arse controller leads.

I'm going to get one and an extra controller, you know, just because.

Rare White Ape
November 4th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Also:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-NES-2M-Controller-Extension-Cable-Nintendo-Wii-U-/291929968506?hash=item43f861cf7a:g:dQMAAOSw44BYGJB 3

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dQMAAOSw44BYGJB3/s-l1600.jpg

KillerB
November 4th, 2016, 08:40 PM
No. For not much more money, I got a Raspberry Pi 3 and loaded basically the entire library of the NES and SNES on it.

Rare White Ape
November 4th, 2016, 09:05 PM
Does it look like a cute little recreation of a NES console?

No, it does not.

dodint
November 4th, 2016, 09:20 PM
No. For not much more money, I got a Raspberry Pi 3 and loaded basically the entire library of the NES and SNES on it.

"That doesn't count." -Keith

Yw-slayer
November 4th, 2016, 10:28 PM

And we can run all of them on any of our multiple PCs/Android phones/Android tablets.

KillerB
November 4th, 2016, 11:46 PM
Does it look like a cute little recreation of a NES console?

No, it does not.

Probably could be done with a 3D printer, but I can't be bothered.

The thing I like about the Raspberry Pi is that it is hooked up to my TV, which gives a bit more authentic experience than playing on my laptop (which I've admittedly done for years and enjoyed as well)

Drachen596
November 5th, 2016, 07:34 PM
Look up the Nyko wireless controller for it. Look at the box.

Rare White Ape
November 5th, 2016, 10:17 PM
http://nyko.com/collections/nes-classic-edition/products/miniboss-for-nes-classic-edition

Gold!

drew
November 6th, 2016, 06:11 AM
Sold and sold.

Rare White Ape
November 6th, 2016, 11:03 PM
How about sold out?

Both EB and JB (the main places around here where you pre-order gaming stuff) sold their allocations back when this was announced :thppt:

I'll have to hope that normal shops like Target are getting them so I can walk in and buy one. Bugger!

M4FFU
November 6th, 2016, 11:41 PM
Amazon are sending mine to me for Friday. Got in with a pre-order early and got lucky :D

Mr Wonder
November 7th, 2016, 12:56 PM

Totes this. I've snagged a couple of 8bitdo pads, the SFC 30 (http://www.8bitdo.com/sfc30/) and the NES Pro (http://www.8bitdo.com/nes30pro/), and it's a full on retro experience. Seriously these pads are exactly how you remember the old school ones. But wireless. And awesome. Hell with the SFC 30 you can even swap in original buttons it's that good a copy. They even do bluetooth receivers for them that will plug into original NES and SNES consoles.

http://www.8bitdo.com/sfc30/images/sfc30-1.jpg

thesameguy
November 7th, 2016, 01:15 PM
I did not know that was a thing. I have been itching to shove bamboo under my fingernails... I mean get back into programming and pick up a Pi. Maybe this is an incentive.

Rare White Ape
November 7th, 2016, 11:47 PM
How about sold out?

Both EB and JB (the main places around here where you pre-order gaming stuff) sold their allocations back when this was announced :thppt:

I'll have to hope that normal shops like Target are getting them so I can walk in and buy one. Bugger!

Okay.

Thursday morning is going to be really fucking stressful.

JB - gone. EB - gone. Online retailers - gone. Australia is getting one shipment and that's it.

Target will stock them, as will one other chain, but I have a Target really close to me.

I called them this evening, the info I got was first in, first served, limit one per customer. Luckily they open at 8am and I start work at 8:30, so I can try in the morning.

However, the girl I spoke to has had over 20 enquiries about them just since lunch time (Tuesday) and there is tomorrow to go yet, and Nintendo is being very strict on unit allocations; none can be put aside for eager customers (which is fair) and no Target stores yet know even how many they will be receiving, other than that busier stores will get a few more than quiet stores. The one near me is a quiet store. Poo.

I'll have to be there early and hope that not too many people are as desperate as me. The FOMO, the debilitating, terrible FOMO (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_of_missing_out), is already killing me.

If I miss out, there's always eBay, where scalpers are already pre-selling their goods for over $250. It's insane that these are going to be so scarce.

thesameguy
November 8th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Get some dirt on a Target employee and blackmail them into hiding one for you?

Rare White Ape
November 9th, 2016, 12:33 PM
I'm 5th in the queue. They open in 30 mins. I have been given a ticket. They have nine available, but only one controller.

I literally couldn't eat breakfast through anxiety. Fuck this. Damn you Nintendo and your desirable wares!

*shakes fist*

My fellow queue occupiers suspect that a few staff members may have claimed them before now, which is fully understandable.

thesameguy
November 9th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Watch out for shivs.

Rare White Ape
November 9th, 2016, 05:59 PM
Oh man. I've got one, but I almost didn't get one. Oh man.

I got there at 7:15 to find a few people already waiting. The tickets that a nice bearded man handed out were printed with two fives and two sixes, like 1 2 3 4 5 6 5 6 7 8 9 10… etc. The guy just kept going until he got to nine and put up a sold out sign at the back of the queue. Being the second 5, I was actually 7th, and they had 11 tickets out there for nine units.

This would've been ok, but they split us into two groups. 1-5 to go to this counter, and 6-9 to go to that counter. The guy in front of me, real number 6, went left and I went right. By the time sale number 4 was happening I realised that the girl in front of me also held a number 5 ticket, and there weren't enough to fulfill my order, so I pointed that out to the staff. I quickly asked if the ones from the other group were still going, but no, they'd sold them all and customer 10 got one while customer 11 left the shop without a console.

The staff were good, but didn't really look me in the eye since they were just beginning to realise what was going on. This is ok. It's retail. I work in retail and I knew what they were thinking. Like a subtly bubbling pool of "oh fuck" in the bottom of their bellies. So I kept my cool and leaned casually against the counter. I said "I'll just chill here until you guys figure it out hey?" This was before 8am had clicked over.

Two people started making phone calls to other stores. Stores that had upwards of 35 units, but were also sold out. One person called some unknown higher up and found out that every Target store had the same ticketing system, so everyone was going through the same problem. I made small talk with the guy at the cash register, and right on 8am he was fielding phone calls from customers. "Sorry, we've sold them all this morning," he said to about five enquiries. I was thinking that this might take a bit of work to sort out. I was happy to leave them my details so I could go to work.

But then, after many furrowed brows and hurried calls among the staff, like a knight in shining armour, the nice bearded man from earlier emerged from out the back (true story) clutching one in his hand. He said that this one was their one and only allocation for an online sale but I can have that one, they'll sort out their online customer eventually. I told him he was a fucking legend and shook his hand.

And left with my NES Classic Edition.

Phew.

dodint
November 9th, 2016, 06:50 PM
Awesome man. Congrats.

Curious though, why didn't you just buy it online? Shipping cost?

Rare White Ape
November 9th, 2016, 08:22 PM
It's because I'm against the whole pre-order culture. It applies more to downloadable games than physical hardware, but I didn't see any need to pre-order this until I found out last week that it was already sold out and in very limited numbers. Nobody seems to fathom Nintendo's decision to only send us one shipment. It's crazy.

Yeah I should have got one when they were first announced, but doing that goes against my religion and my morals.

But I have, just quietly, put my name down for a Switch.

Rare White Ape
November 9th, 2016, 11:05 PM
Look! A rare photo of a Mini NES in the wild, plugged into a TV and not being scalped on eBay.

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5793/30855889166_1b0151fedb_b.jpg

When I got home from work I played Super Mario Bros. first, then SMB 3, then Ice Climber, then Castlevania.

Man those old 2D games are tough. I'm glad a lot of work has been put into character movement over the last 30 years. Even the difference between SMB 1 and 3 is noticeable.

I think I'll devote some time to The Legend Of Zelda, because of course I will, in the coming weeks. I have it for GameBoy Advance but never got into it.

drew
November 10th, 2016, 05:29 PM
Fuck an A. I can pre-order one tomorrow at 5pm EST from Amazon.

Going to be F5'ing the fuck out of that page.

Rare White Ape
November 12th, 2016, 05:12 AM
Check this shit out.

http://press-start.com.au/news/nintendo/2016/11/11/aussies-selling-nes-classic-minis-ridiculous-amounts-ebay/

I fucking hate these cunts, for that is what they are; cunts.

Yw-slayer
November 12th, 2016, 05:29 AM
The real cunts are those who buy them at that price, rather than setting up an emulator on an aud500 PC that can do much more stuff anyway.

drew
November 12th, 2016, 05:45 AM
Yep. THey're even doing it on Amazon. All that's there are "reseller" going from $300-$1000 USD.

Never got a chance to add one to my cart, much less order one. I went to the page at the time they said they'd be available, nothing but blank pages/crashes.

Fucking Amazon. You'd think as much money as they bring in A DAY, they could beef up their goddamn servers.

So, the quest continues...

thesameguy
November 12th, 2016, 07:08 AM
Amazon has the biggest server operation in retail by an absolutely incredible margin. The sheer size of their computing power is why AWS exists. Only the mNES page was broken, likely because they couldn't match supply with demand fast enough or reliably enough. I understand your frustration, but Amazon is *legend* in this department - I guarantee you this happened due to some extraordinary circumstance and it won't happen a second time.

drew
November 12th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Oh, I know/have no doubt. I just wanted to be a pouting American and bitch about first world problems :P

thesameguy
November 12th, 2016, 02:14 PM
What I like about that statement is everything.

M4FFU
November 13th, 2016, 11:48 PM
So, mine turned up on Friday, and it is a very neat thing indeed :)

Yw-slayer
November 14th, 2016, 01:07 AM
So, the quest continues...

Just set up an emulator on your monster PC and play stuff on that, rather than bitching like a pouting American. :angry::mad:

drew
November 14th, 2016, 02:13 AM
PC is for me. I was going to get the NES for her to mess around with on the TV.

Rare White Ape
November 14th, 2016, 03:10 AM
From Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/1788944074):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=364Fc9K_ydI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kLpicZUMzg

Yw-slayer
November 14th, 2016, 03:13 AM
You BUY stuff for your female partner? Wtf?

drew
November 14th, 2016, 04:19 AM
:shrug: Maybe it's because I care about/for her?

:finger:

Yw-slayer
November 14th, 2016, 06:14 AM
:shrug: Maybe it's because I care about/for her?

:finger:

You CARE about your female? What is this world coming to?

drew
November 14th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Cubs won, Trump won, the Mayans were only off 4 years.

Rare White Ape
December 22nd, 2016, 02:17 PM
Here's as good a place as any to share this thing that appeared on Kotaku on Monday (http://kotaku.com/it-took-five-years-for-one-man-to-find-the-first-nes-ad-1790282948).

It's the Advanced Video System, the prototype precursor to the NES. And wow! I love this design.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k6bwsHCw--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/ksxkwqt4xb9mvsudr8f0.jpg

The wrong-sided D-pad controllers were to be IR-based wireless as well. But just look at the console itself. It's so bad. Imagine it had a swish slot-loading BD-ROM drive in the front of it; the sleek design would easily work today if it was to launch as a new console.

thesameguy
December 22nd, 2016, 02:22 PM
Imagine if it only had an RJ11 port and no physical media, and got all its content direct from CompuServe or GEnie!

Rare White Ape
December 22nd, 2016, 02:44 PM
I just had a double-take, it appears that the image was originally published while being flipped horizontally. Why on earth would it have had wrong-sided D-pads and buttons?

That's better. The Ninty logos are the right way now, too.

https://c5.staticflickr.com/1/511/31775098556_998d281282_o.jpg

Rare White Ape
January 7th, 2017, 01:15 PM
Took longer than I expected.

http://kotaku.com/people-have-started-hacking-nintendos-nes-classic-and-a-1790936458?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

animalica
January 7th, 2017, 01:55 PM
Cool! :up:

drew
January 8th, 2017, 06:15 PM
I wish they would make a hack so I could fucking buy one

MR2 Fan
January 9th, 2017, 01:26 PM
I just downloaded an emulator...#cheaper #easier

I also dl'ed an SNES emulator last night for the nostalgia feels....playing NHL '94 :D

Rare White Ape
January 9th, 2017, 05:49 PM
Yeah, nah. I appreciate what you're saying about emulators, because god damn I like playing my Wii and GC and N64 games in 1080p.

But you can't put an emulator on a shelf in your TV cabinet and have people go "Oh that's cool!" I use the same argument in relation to a Retro Pi with a shitty 3D printed case. It just isn't the same, maaan.

Yw-slayer
January 10th, 2017, 05:04 AM
But you can't put an emulator on a shelf in your TV cabinet and have people go "Oh that's cool!" I use the same argument in relation to a Retro Pi with a shitty 3D printed case. It just isn't the same, maaan.

So do you prefer having your fair-weather friends think that something is "cool", even though it'll gather dust in a few months. And do you post that shit on Snapchat and Insta?

Rare White Ape
January 10th, 2017, 11:26 AM
There's no pics of mine on social media, aside from earlier on in this thread. And it has some dust on it - keeping a house clean is hard, what of it?

drew
January 10th, 2017, 11:47 AM
Fuck people. I just want a goddamn NES Classic.

Rare White Ape
February 3rd, 2017, 06:29 AM
I don't know if you overseas peeps can buy this, but EB Games has controllers in stock. They sold out of consoles earlier today. I'm surprised to see the controllers still up, so don't expect them to last long.

https://ebgames.com.au/wiiu-217650-NES-Classic-Mini-Controller-Wii-U

Rare White Ape
February 3rd, 2017, 12:44 PM
Consoles in-stock. Act now!

https://www.ebgames.com.au/wiiu-217390-Nintendo-Classic-Mini-NES-Wii-U

drew
February 3rd, 2017, 01:14 PM
:up:

Rare White Ape
February 3rd, 2017, 05:44 PM
Drew got one with my help :up:

They sold out mere minutes after I put the order in. That was lucky timing.

drew
February 4th, 2017, 02:22 AM
Too awesome mate. :up:

Rare White Ape
April 7th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Quite possibly the rarest sight in all of retail, which I spotted in a Lego Facebook fan page, of all places. Both Target and JB HIFI got big shipments of these late this week, enough for Target to actually put on display. Photo for posterity.

http://scontent.fbne3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/17799124_10155351904292994_9115328546301237690_n.j pg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=9900bd90a19207f406110a685817b81b&oe=59930487

Rare White Ape
April 10th, 2017, 12:32 AM
Apparently the current shipment into Australia of the NES Minis is the last one we'll get. It's unconfirmed but ominous all the same.

http://www.vooks.net/report-thats-nintendo-classic-nes-mini-australia/

I really hope this is not true and Nintendo continues to produce them for another year at least. If it is true then the shithead scalpers will have a field day.

Another connected but even less confirmed rumour is that these were made as a way to use up left over Wii components. That's an interesting one for sure!

Rare White Ape
April 13th, 2017, 01:05 PM
And… there we have it.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/04/nintendo-discontinues-the-nes-classic/

What a crazy rollercoaster ride that was.

MR2 Fan
April 13th, 2017, 01:41 PM
I bet SNES Classic is next

Rare White Ape
April 13th, 2017, 02:54 PM
I'm calling 50/50 on that.

Nintendo didn't intend on the NES Classic being a long-term mass-produced product, and they knew the demand was there as soon as they announced it.

So based on their initial plans, there would be no SNES Classic. But they have listened to customer demand (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Rainfall) before so you never know.

Kchrpm
April 15th, 2017, 08:49 AM
Or it was just holiday filler to keep their revenue strong with the Switch and Zelda getting pushed to 2017.

Rare White Ape
April 15th, 2017, 01:26 PM
Nah the very reasonable story I heard was that it was a two-pronged attack alongside Super Mario Run designed to get older players' attention again and drive sales toward the Switch.

Yes there could've been a small amount of long-term cash flow with the NES Classic but it wasn't their future. New hardware and innovation is their future. Plus it may have sucked sales away from Virtual Console in the end.

The whole thing could've been handled much better if they only sold them through their online channels or My Nintendo and made it clear from the start that they were a limited product. Going open retail and leaving things up to the forces of nature was a bad idea.

But it left me with the chance to get a hold of two of them eventually!

Rare White Ape
April 19th, 2017, 06:31 AM
Oh dear God NO.

I THOUGHT THIS WAS OVER

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-19-sources-nintendo-to-launch-snes-mini-this-year

MR2 Fan
April 21st, 2017, 01:39 PM
CALLED IT!!

thesameguy
April 21st, 2017, 02:09 PM
If my calculations are correct, we'll have a Mini Switch in just a couple years!

Rare White Ape
April 21st, 2017, 07:23 PM
That's actually something I had thought of around when the Switch was launching. It would be a mid-cycle hardware revision, the same size as an iPhone 7 Plus, non removable controllers (but still compatible with existing Joy-Cons), and an extra charging port on the side. It would also come with a cute little version of the dock to plug into a TV.

Alan P
April 24th, 2017, 07:04 PM
If they do bring out a SNES mini I will be all over that.

Kchrpm
April 28th, 2017, 11:06 AM
http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/28/15474358/nes-classic-discontinued-why-nintendo

“From our perspective, it’s important to recognize where our future is and the key areas that we need to drive,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, president and chief operating officer of Nintendo of America, in an interview with Time. “We’ve got a lot going on right now and we don’t have unlimited resources.”

Nintendo marketed the NES Classic as a holiday stocking stuffer, and Fils-Aime told Time that the company had originally intended to sell it only for the 2016 holiday season — something Nintendo did not make clear until now.

-----------------

“We just didn’t anticipate how incredible the response would be,” said Fils-Aime, apologizing for the product shortages. He added that Nintendo ramped up production and extended it into 2017, but the company was still never able to meet the intense demand for the NES Classic. All the way up until the discontinuation announcement earlier this month — and certainly since then — stores sold through their small shipments as soon as they got them from Nintendo.

Fils-Aime said that Nintendo has now shipped 2.3 million units of the NES Classic worldwide.

Rare White Ape
April 29th, 2017, 12:21 AM
Wouldn't it be funny if they sold more of those than they did Switches.

Rare White Ape
September 12th, 2017, 02:32 AM
Looks at eBay

Looks at this article: http://www.vooks.net/nintendo-will-resume-nes-mini-production-2018/

Looks at eBay again

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/776/656/757.jpg

Rare White Ape
May 10th, 2018, 02:25 AM
Wha…?

https://www.vooks.net/nes-classic-edition-gets-golden-re-release-in-japan-with-new-games/

Fire up the scalp-o-matic pages on eBay.

https://www.vooks.net/img/2018/05/gold-famicom-1000x562.jpg