PDA

View Full Version : Rental Car Review: Skoda Octavia Estate 2016

Yw-slayer
August 4th, 2016, 11:28 PM
Rented this from Sixt in London. I actually wanted a Skoda Superb and had asked for one, but they were out of them, so I got offered this for GBP10 less per day. I have to say it was fine, but I would probably have preferred the Superb. Had around 2000km (or was it miles?) on the clock when I picked it up.

Criteria: Needed stuff to haul 3 adults and 2 kids around, along with a stroller and a balance bike. Day trips outside of London but within 40-60 miles of it.

Engine and transmission: Petrol DSG. I think it was the 1.8 TSI. It could have been the 2.0 turbo, but I doubt it though for while it had a lot of initial urge, especially around town, it ran out of steam pretty quickly with the full load in the car, and there was no torque steer. Acceptable for general use and motorway overtaking. Good transmission, at least it didn't get in the way. Unlike stop-start, which is supremely irritating.

Steering and handling: Acceptable, although somewhat uninspiring. A bit too much body roll to be truly enjoyable.

Interior: This was a base-level model, but we did get reasonably good fabric seats. The entertainment system was OK and relatively easy to use, but the sound quality from the stereo was really bad. Reversing sensors worked well. Visibility was pretty good too. I found it difficult to get comfortable in the driver's seat. In terms of NVH it was around the same as our S-Max.

Practicality: Pretty good.

Looks: Subjective, but I thought it looked rubbish. Fine, it had 16" wheels and not even HID lights, but still. That said, at least it was anonymous and relatively fun pretending to be an Uber driver (until, I guess, they saw that I was Chinese).

Other stuff: The non-HID headlights are now barely acceptable for use at night.

Verdict: Almost identical to the Octavia I rented in 2013 from Avis. Decent but uninspiring stuff, mainly designed for motorway munching. Having driven these two, I have revised my opinion and don't think I could live with one if I had a car in the UK, unless perhaps it was the vRS model. I just can't get inspired by them. But it is probably excellent for anonymity.

Stay tuned for the next two thrilling instalments: BMW 520d in the South of France, and Jag XF 2.0 Portfolio in London.

M4FFU
August 5th, 2016, 12:11 AM
Poverty spec dog carrier in unlike-mclaren-F1 shocker ;) Sounds like it met your criteria tho'!

I'll keep my Skoda fanboi-ness quiet.

Yw-slayer
August 5th, 2016, 12:23 AM
Probably better in the diesel-spec I had 3 years ago. This one is neither here nor there. Don't worry, I liked sitting in yours! But I do know why you got into bikes. ;)

M4FFU
August 5th, 2016, 04:47 AM
In vRS form it'd given you the corner poise and power you needed. Open that wallet a little wider next time :P

Yw-slayer
August 5th, 2016, 02:56 PM
No-one rents out VRSes. And if they did, for the money might as well go Jag, which, oddly...