PDA

View Full Version : Rental Car Review: BMW 520d

Yw-slayer
August 6th, 2016, 07:14 AM
TLDR Version: Insert Obama NOT BAD meme here. For a luxury minicab. Left some clip-on sunglasses in it for the next aspiring Addison Lee-wannabe.

Rented from Sixt at Nice Airport. Needed to haul 3 adults and 2 kids around the Cote d'Azur and to Province, although we didn't go there in the end. Originally I was supposed to have a 3 GT or equivalent, then I got offered an XF or equivalent for less, which turned out to be a 4 Gran Coupe and at the desk I was offered this. All via rentalcars.com unlike London where I had used Sixt direct. As I wasn't going to be doing the Col de Turini, wanted my kids to sleep, and as my dad has a 523 which they sit in sometimes, I went for the bigger car.

Engine and transmission: Diesel auto. I guess 2L turbo? Good power and grunt down there, also not too bad at higher revs. Sufficient, particularly in Sport mode. Better in Comfort mode most of the team for our purposes. Shifting very good with no drama in both modes. I tried Eco Pro mode for about 2 minutes then quickly reverted to the other two.

Steering and Handling: Car came on 18s. For our purposes, best rolling along in Comfort mode. Nicely firmed up in Sport but still sort of devoid of any real feedback. You can just about tell you are in a RWD car when going around corners though. Which is good, I guess.

Interior: Apart from not having Keyless Go or a sunroof (wtf) this was pretty loaded. Black leather, HUD, full Nav Bluetooth, decent stereo. All-in-one, a good place to spend many hours.

Practicality: Pretty good, cubbies in the boot were useful too.

Looks: Good in silver and on 18s.

Other stuff: Car very slightly wide, so I was glad that J got the full insurance. At least it's not a Merc so you don't look like as much of an Uber/Addison Lee driver.

Verdict: A+, would rent again for family trip but I would want something smaller for tackling the Col de Turini.

The359
August 6th, 2016, 09:04 AM
So you like the D?

Yw-slayer
August 6th, 2016, 09:21 AM
I like my D.

thesameguy
August 6th, 2016, 07:11 PM
I'm always interested in that oily d too.

Yw-slayer
August 19th, 2016, 10:18 AM
But can you handle the grunt?

Sorry about the typos. Typed the review on the way from Heathrow to London in a V Class.

thesameguy
August 19th, 2016, 10:38 AM
I'm indifferent about the sound. It just seems like the right thing to do.