PDA

View Full Version : Rental car review: BMW 328

IMOA
August 11th, 2016, 09:15 PM
Ok that's better. When I picked it up I got the usual 'do you want to upgrade to a convertible for a little bit extra' so I ask which cars? 'We've got an A3 convertible', umm, yeah, no thanks, I'd prefer the BMW. 'We've also got a BMW 640 convertible'. Now we're talking, that's properly interesting, how much extra? 'An extra $900 for the rental period'. Given I'm only paying $600 and it's hard to justify a 150% price increase when I've got something a lot more exciting at home you now all know why this is a BMW 328 review.

The car: Its fairly low sec I guess, climate, sunroof, pleather (either that or leather that Toyota would be proud of), auto with flappy paddles and a sunroof. I only noticed the sunroof aft about 500 miles of driving, I think I'll try it out when I get to Cali.

Initial impressions: Actually, I quite like it. Seating position is brilliant, by far the best non sports car seating position I've ever driven. It lets you sit low, back nice and upright, steering wheel is in front of you and properly perpendicular to the ground and this is the first car that I've been able to get it close enough to me without using all the reach. Gold star BMW. Oh, and can someone tell me why the climate in the car (and half the hotel rooms I've stayed in) was set to 60? Is there an endemic lack of understanding of how a thermostat works in the US?

Cruising: fundamentally this is a road trip and as a road trip car it's pretty awesome. Cruises happily, got enough punch to quickly overtake, no extraneous wind noise and equally as comfortable doddling around town as it is at higher speed (haven't got it past about 120 yet so I might give it a poke later if roads/conditions permit.

Pushing on: haven't had much of a go yet as I've not really been on ten best roads but I had a bit of a swing a couple of times today. Steering is a bit lacking, I assume it's EPS and that's why it's devoid of feel. It is direct and turns in nicely and doesn't have big dead spots but it just gives you nothing back through the hands. Handling is extremely competent but not exactly inspiring. Some of that is it feels like the computers are doing things underneath you, not quite sure if that's when you are in comfort mode and it decides that you should be in sport mode but it feels like roll resistance sometimes changes during the entry phase of a corner. This is well before I'd expect any active diff shenanigans so I don't think it's that but next week I'll have some proper roads to do some proper testing. Likely involving turning off all the nannies and seeing what happens.

Off road: Again, surprisingly good. Did good with nannies on and did better with nannies off. Pretty good ground clearance and quite predictable with good grip. I'd like to have a bit more of a go to be honest. particularly somewhere with less SUVs which apparently are just a hair trigger from leaping uncontrollably into a ditch which is the only explanation I can come up with for why they drive so fucking slow.

Stupid things: Push button start but not keyless entry. So you have to get the key fob out to open the door but once you're in the car you need to put it back in your pocket. I've had keyless entry and push button start and that actually works better than you'd think, I've had open car with push button and use the fob as the key and that works well because you get to put the fob somewhere. But this system is stupid.

Radio doesn't turn off when you turn off the engine. Or when you open the door. Or close the door. Actually, it doesn't turn off until you lock the car. What the fuck were they thinking. How possibly is it a good idea to leave all the accessories running after you've shut down the engine and left the car by default. Every other car I've had with funky start buttons and the like let you put the car into accessories mode but not by default.

Overall: really good actually and would be a really decent daily which was fun enough when you find yourself on a fun road. Will give it a bit of a bollocking in a week in California to see how it holds up when having a poke.

TheBenior
August 11th, 2016, 10:27 PM
Stupid things: Push button start but not keyless entry. So you have to get the key fob out to open the door but once you're in the car you need to put it back in your pocket. I've had keyless entry and push button start and that actually works better than you'd think, I've had open car with push button and use the fob as the key and that works well because you get to put the fob somewhere. But this system is stupid.

I'm sure it has the radio transceiver necessary for kettles entry, but if they enabled the software that let the car do that by default, you'd be slightly less inclined to pay $3,100 for the Premium Package required to get it. We are taking about the same company who charges $475 for split/fold rear seats like those that come standard on mass market compact sedans.

thesameguy
August 11th, 2016, 10:33 PM
A coworker has a '16 328xi Touring M-Sport and the thing is a beast. Everything about the car is really well done. 260hp isn't fast but plenty adequate. It's the first mainstream BMW in a long time that I've really, genuinely liked.

Yw-slayer
August 12th, 2016, 02:22 AM

Radio doesn't turn off when you turn off the engine. Or when you open the door. Or close the door. Actually, it doesn't turn off until you lock the car. What the fuck were they thinking. How possibly is it a good idea to leave all the accessories running after you've shut down the engine and left the car by default. Every other car I've had with funky start buttons and the like let you put the car into accessories mode but not by default.

Overall: really good actually and would be a really decent daily which was fun enough when you find yourself on a fun road. Will give it a bit of a bollocking in a week in California to see how it holds up when having a poke.

I agree with the first point, the 520d had the same setup and I thought it was madness (not Sparta). But given the premium pointed out by Benior, maybe that's why.

Hilariously, and on a related note, the Merc had push-button start but someone had removed the button from the ignition and put it in the glove compartment. I found out why, since when I inserted it back in I found it rarely worked. Typical Merckey Mouse build quality, ja! :lol: Now I need to update my ML review with this factoid.

Radio point, I think it's not a bad idea to keep it on until you close the door or even lock the car, as they probably assume the typical owner will have loads of battery, even with Start-Stop, and will want to listen to the radio etc. up until the last possible moment.

If I wanted to drive German, yeah, I'd definitely buy BMW over Merckey Mouse.

IMOA
August 12th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Ok, had a bit of a swing today and it worked really well. Steering firmed up nicely, still not great feel but at leas you did get some sense of the front end loading up. Putting it to sport also cleaned up my issues with odd sensations on corner entry, that completely disappeared. Weight transfer is very well handled but I did manage to find the limits of the dampers with a big depression mid corner loaded up, they handled the initial extension into the depression ok but couldn't handle the bump at all to the extent I got a bit of air. Tough test though.

Front end is strong, put it in and it will track nicely and on public roads will run at a pace that won't be embrassed by anything but something quick driven by the most seriously (over)committed drivers. My criticism is an odd one but one I understand given BMWs own research - it just doesn't feel RWD. Now I'm sure that on a track where you can have some fun you can get some big sideways action but I just don't do that on the street. What I mean is that you can't adjust the attitude of the car with your right foot mid corner. To be fair while this would be a fatal shortcoming in a sportscar in something like this it's not that big a deal but I was a bit disappointed because otherwise it had exceeded my expectations in every respect.

Oh, and random fact, highway 12 (highway? Route? What should I call it?) between Bryce Canyon and Capitol reef national park is a brilliant brilliant road.

Crazed_Insanity
August 12th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Whatever one calls it, it's a great place to drive a car like that...

KillerB
August 15th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Not sure of the vernacular in Utah, but here it would be California 12 or "the Twelve." Back east they'd say State Route 12 or just Twelve.

thesameguy
August 15th, 2016, 12:45 PM
If it's not SoCal, it's not The.

IMOA
August 15th, 2016, 08:19 PM
So it would correct to say that I had some fun on the 190 late this afternoon and I might get up early tomorrow because the 395 looks fun

Random
August 15th, 2016, 09:27 PM
No, in that area of the state, it's just "190" and "395."

The only interesting parts of 395 are much further north, IMO, like from Bridgeport to Walker.

120 and 108 over the Sierras are both pretty epic, assuming other traffic and law enforcement cooperate.

IMOA
August 15th, 2016, 09:39 PM
Ok, so I'm getting up early to get 395 out of the way and have some fun on 120. At least for a little bit before a couple of hikes

I've only had one roadside chat with law enforcement so far and yes, I'd say law enforcement cooperated.

Random
August 15th, 2016, 09:57 PM
:up:

The Saddlebag Lake (https://goo.gl/maps/8aR5mzmrCfG2) area at the top of Tioga Pass (120) is pretty neat, FWIW.

Kchrpm
August 16th, 2016, 06:34 AM
So one could, theoretically, start off on the 5 heading north, and then at some point they're no longer on the 5, they're just on 5?

thesameguy
August 16th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Yeah, the interchange is just north of Bakersfield.

KillerB
August 16th, 2016, 10:27 AM
When I worked in Sacramento, it was a weird mix, because it was definitely "80" and "5," but people still said "the 50."

thesameguy
August 16th, 2016, 10:30 AM
You get some transplants bringing the nomenclature, but it's still unusual. People here know people are from there based on that. Nobody from Fresno ever said "the 99."

Crazed_Insanity
August 17th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Not sure of the vernacular in Utah, but here it would be California 12 or "the Twelve." Back east they'd say State Route 12 or just Twelve.

Found an old pic wife took in 2011 from Utah... I also don't recall what road was that... other than the occasional RVs in the way, I had a blast driving my TSX around there...

Yw-slayer
August 17th, 2016, 05:59 PM
I can see why!

IMOA
August 17th, 2016, 06:30 PM
Hmm, so after Monterey I'll be going south on 1 then returning north on the 32

Yw-slayer
August 17th, 2016, 06:46 PM
Sounds about right, since that way you'll have the ocean right next to you.